Private Tales Flowers are the Stars of the Earth

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Hinoka made to follow after Hiei, the pipe still in her hand, still not having been brought anywhere near her lips.

Don’t.” Migi said.

Don’t what?” Hinoka turned to face Migi, frowning deeply just as Hiei had shut the door.

You’re gonna run after him, right?

Well, not run…” Hinoka looked down at the pipe before handing it back to Kishi.

Let him cool down.” Migi said before yawning. “I got a good idea to where he might be heading to.

Hanae had brought her cart out early to the square. Everything was the same as it had been the days before, but there was one brand new addition to her cart. A large sign that now sat in front of it. The wood was thin, the nails crudely holding everything together. But the sign itself had been painted white, and a multitude of painted pink and lavender flowers framed the sign.

In black ink, with all the artistry and mastery of a person who had properly studied calligraphy, was the name of Hanae’s business. Beauty and balance in harmony, and hopefully, the zen practice could bring Hanae some good luck.

Or the sign in general could bring in more customers. Maybe even get some repeat customers!

Hiei

• Dab
Reactions: Hiei
Somehow, Ginrou found himself acting as a pack mule for all his sister Matsuri's things. As they walked down the market lane together, his arms were already full of the sundry items she'd deemed necessary to get. Her arms swung freely beside the katana at her side. Not that Ginrou was complaining, much. It was still easier to shop when Matsuri was around.

A nearby sign caught Ginrou's attention, colorful as it was. "Pocketful of Petals," he muttered to himself, reading it out loud. The delicate script paired with the quaint name didn't seem to match.

proxy.php
"What'd you say?"
Matsuri asked from beside him.

"Our mother is coming back from her travels tonight. There should be fresh flowers in the house," he responded, already walking towards the flower stand. Ginrou shifted all the bags and boxes into the crook of one arm. He leaned down over a bundle of peonies, fingers of his free hand brushing lightly against one, to point the flower's face towards his own. A double bloom, red ruffled center peeking out from rows of silkier petals. "Do you think she would like pink, or yellow?"

It only took a few seconds for Matsuri to grow impatient. She huffed. "I think you're too particular. It doesn't matter, she won't notice either way," she scolded her younger brother. "So just pick some and let's goooo..."

Ginrou ignored his sister. "Excuse me," he turned his attention to the flower seller, looking up from red blossoms to red lips. "Do you grow these yourself? I've never seen a petal shape like this on a peony before."

Hiei Hanae

• Cthulu Knife
  • Wonder
Reactions: Hanae and Hiei
The sign was a success! Hanae did her best to pretend to be busy while the man and woman spoke amongst themselves. Of course, it was hard not to eavesdrop when they were only on the display side of the cart.

Perpendicular to the two, Hanae kept her hands busy with flower arranging, and she set them into the vase when her attention was really needed. Her dark eyes went to look at Ginrou and she smiled warmly, before leaning to the side to look at the woman. Their hair was striking, as was the overall way they held themselves. Their clothes reminded her of all of her beloved plants.

It seemed they had a successful shopping excursion judging by the man’s full arms. What better way to end it than with fresh flowers?

I do,” Hanae answered, beaming brightly towards Ginrou. “I have colors you won’t see anywhere else, my family has bred flowers for centuries. Did you know that flowers have special meanings?” She added, thinking of how to would be best to sway this man into actually purchasing some flowers. This time she wouldn’t be giving anything away for free. She had to pay Hiei back, she had to.

Yellow roses actually represent coming back home, but,” she stepped forward, gesturing at the small yellow roses. “The large ones come into bloom later in the year. These are yellow tea roses but they still represent the same feeling.” Hanae explained before gesturing towards a large bundle of pastel pink flowers. “Pink carnations have always been the flowers for mothers. When a mother gives birth you may notice that she receives dozens of pink carnations because they represent a mother’s undying love and gratitude.

Hanae was smiling, but her smile faltered. Well now it was obviously that she had been listening to their conversation.

O-oh, but you were looking at peonies, weren’t you? Is that the favorite flower of the person who is coming home?” Hanae asked tentatively, wondering if she covered up her rudeness well enough. “I can do custom bouquets. Normally, I’d require time in advance.” She paused, unsure where she was going with this. “I can even drop orders off at your home since your hands are quite… full?

Ginrou Hiei

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Hiei
The woman confessed to coming from a long line of flower growers, with a pride that that lit her face up. And yet here she was alone, with a modest stall that could stand to see a few repairs. More mismatched mysteries piling up on top of each other. Ones that his sister clearly didn't notice, as she crossed her arms and started tapping her foot when the seller launched into an explanation of color and occasion.

Of course Ginrou knew flower language, but he listened all the same, a serene look on his face. He didn't even seem to mind when the seller mentioned his mother directly, a decidedly rude thing to do. He just added the brashness of the comment to the tally of odd ends...

But then the flower seller asked if peonies were someone's favorite, and Ginrou couldn't stifle the laugh that welled up inside of him fast enough. It came out as a wide grin and light chuckle. "You could say so, yes."

He sobered up, and put the neutral expression back on his face. "The royal family keeps a rare blue varietal in their palace," Gin explained. "Because of that, Lady Morikami thinks of peonies as stately."

"Uh-uh," Matsuri chimed in, coming closer to peer around her brother's elbow at the flower display. "And mom always asks about 'the blue ones' no matter what you get, I don't know why you put some much thought into it..." Matsuri peered at the flowers. Her eyes flitted between the ruffled rows of bouquets, painted in the soft tones of spring, trying her best to decipher some meaning from them. She pointed at the pink carnations the seller had motioned to before, with all the authority of a general commanding her troops. "Let's get those ones."

Closing his eyes, Gin raised a hand up to his face to hide whatever expression was forming there. He wanted to say something. He changed his mind.

"...I'll defer to the ladies' judgement." He dropped his hand and looked to the flower seller once more, giving a small bow. There was nothing but a smile on his face. "Could you do a dozen bouquets of pink carnations before sunset? I know it's a rush order. We'd be able to pay you for the disruption to your day, of course..."

Ginrou stopped, and waited for the flower seller to fill in the rest. This was usually about the time a merchant would name their price. A larger order on short notice, and delivery to boot. He was prepared for the worst.

Hanae Hiei

• Gasp
Morikami? That name sounded so familiar. Hanae looked from the man to the woman. They were siblings, weren’t they? They had to be with the same unique hair, and similar skin— so smooth! Then it suddenly occurred to Hanae, after all, hadn’t the man said Lady Morikami? Hanae could feel her ears grow hot, meaning her cheeks would soon follow.

She dipped her head low, beginning to pluck at her long white skirt.

Peonies are a lovely flower.” Hanae said softly, but looked at the carnations that the woman pointed at. My, what a voice she had! So confident and full of surety. Hanae’s dark gaze flickered to the man, and realized that he was waiting for her to speak again.

Oh! What to say?

A d-dozen?” Probably not that, but Hanae was shocked in hearing such a grand amount. She’d need to rush back to her garden! She only had three with her. But what good fortune. Hanae looked down at her hands, beginning to use her fingers to count. Both her hands shook from a swirling mixture of excitement and anxiety. “M-maybe… since you want a dozen, fifty silver coins… if that’s… okay? And if you could tell me your residence…? Wait, let me, get some paper, one moment, one moment!” Hanae said, going around to her cart and beginning to make a lot of noise as she rifled through her things.

Hiei Ginrou

• Gasp
  • Aww
Reactions: Hiei and Ginrou
Customers hovered around the cart. Well dressed, heads held high. One looked particularly important. Well, that was good. An influential customer base was one of the surest ways to get in to a steady revenue stream.

Hiei drew closer, but, he did not want to spook the young man. Though he had a feeling the sharp eyed woman had already seen him. Something about the way she moved. Like nothing surprised her. Well aware that she was the danger, and little could contest against her.

So, Hiei stayed quiet, at the edge of hearing them with his back turned to the cart and the happenings.

Impress a person with coin to spend, and they'll come back time and time again just to feel-

fifty silver coins,

His eyes widened, and his teeth bared in grimace. He almost looked over his shoulder but kept his head straight ahead, looking at a concert poster with show times. Shit. Shit. No, that was way too low. Even the little bouquets she was selling yesterday went for four a piece without too much trouble, and those were pre-made. No delivery.

Sure, he was buying in bulk but.

"Wow!" he said with a bright cheerfulness as he turned around to face Hanae. He approached the cart with a smile that never quite reached his eyes. Though he had enough practice to squint them too. "Fifty silvers for a dozen bouquets?" He gave a subtle shift of his shoulders to hide his face from the other two, and leaned closer to Hanae. "And delivery service~" the mock sweetness came a little tighter a little dryer. "I'm sure an order like that would go well over a whole gold at Hikari's, and he doesn't even deliver!" he near growled through his teeth. Coughed some, and laughed giddily. "Oh excuse me," he said as he feigned embarrassment and covered his mouth. "Seems I am a little parched,"

Hanae Ginrou

• Stressed
Reactions: Hanae
Fifty silver coins!

Brown eyes widened in surprise at the paltry sum. Luckily, Ginrou didn't have to respond right away, as the petite woman turned her back on them to grab some paper. A little crease furrowed his brow as he tried to parse what the woman might be thinking, with a price like that. This could be what his older brother was always talking about - the 'handsome man' discount one got simply for being personable. But then, he was clearly with a chaperone, so wasn't that awfully forward of the flower seller...?

Out of nowhere came a dark-haired man, who stalked towards the cart like a heron through the shallows, his eyes on something else. Not them, but the flower seller herself. Matsuri gave the newcomer a dirty look, and made no attempt to hide the glare she gave him, clearly trying - and failing, for the way he angled away from them seemed purposeful - to get a better look at his face.

Well, despite the man's odd lean, he was right about it being too good of a deal. Ginrou wasn't a cheapskate. And he didn't want anyone to think he could be so easily flattered, either.

"Surely, the lady meant fifty silver as down payment,"
Ginrou said, trying to smooth over the misunderstanding. "And fifty upon delivery?"

• Gasp
  • Stressed
Reactions: Hiei and Hanae
Hanae spun to face Hiei, emotions clearly written on her face. A hint of fear, perhaps dread was a better term, and surprise. She had figured she would see him again, although she hadn’t expected it to be so soon. But Hiei was a business man, was he not? And he needed his payment.

A part of her wanted to tell him the good news, that this was the biggest order she had ever gotten and her sign had worked and she would pay him back in a month if things continued on like they did today! But that look on his face…

A smile that wasn’t real, a smile that didn’t suit Hiei. Forget about his words and voice that made her stomach drop into a pit of anxiety, it was the smile that was the most unnerving thing of all.

One hand clutched a piece of parchment, her other hand was holding onto a thin piece of charcoal to write on. She had left her ink at home. Hanae looked from Hiei, to the silver-haired man, and to the silver-haired woman. Why was there so much tension in the air?

Hiei, if you need some water I have it.” Hanae said, gesturing over to a woven basket. “It’s in there.” The young florist looked back at Ginrou and smiled brightly before her gaze lingered back to the woman. “Hiei is my business partner.” She explained. Business partner was a good way to put it, wasn’t it? Hopefully it would put the woman at ease as well. “I know he has a scary face but he does the math so I can grow the flowers.” Hanae laughed at her joke that was hardly a joke, a poor attempt to hopefully appease Hiei.

That being said…

So, uh, Hiei… what was the proper price again?

Hiei Ginrou

• Gasp
Reactions: Ginrou and Hiei
Hiei made a face like he smelled some piss. Eyes squinting, lips downturned. She just. She just out and told them they were working together.

His eyebrow twitched, and he did everything he could not to let a low growl rumble in his throat. Though he could feel it building there.

He shook his head and regained the mask of false sincerity, tittered a laugh. "Yes, yes! My apologies," he said as he turned to face the noble born customers. Morikami. He crossed his hands at his waist, slipping each into the opposite sleeve of his deep blue robe and gave a graceful bow from his waist, head dipped low to show utmost respect. He rose, and he had his well-worn smile on. "The proper price is the price a business quotes," he said pleasant and cool.

"Fifty silvers for the flowers, twenty for the delivery of such a large order, and twenty for the rushed nature of the order," they could have easily gotten a gold and then some for all this. But the keen eyed woman was watching them like a hawk. "If a friend lets us know you gave them a recommendation, we'll knock off any delivery fees on future orders placed for the month," Hiei made a small shift in his footing, his shoulders and hips angled toward the sign. Pocketful of Petals. Its neatly painted script reminded them of the name.

Hanae Ginrou

• Wonder
  • Cthulu Knife
Reactions: Hanae and Ginrou
The man had a name, Hiei, and he was introduced as the flower seller's business partner. But if that were the case, they had an odd relationship indeed. Ginrou nodded along politely to the man's breakdown of the price, but his sister was less keen about the whole thing. She wouldn't stop glaring daggers at the newcomer. Her hand wasn't on her katana yet, but Ginrou knew that expression, and it was one worth being afraid of.

He felt Matsuri's hand on his arm. She turned him round so that both their backs were facing away from the flower stand, and hooked her arm over Gin's head to pull him down to her height. The boxes still stuffed under his arm shifted, but didn't fall.

"I don't like the look of this guy," she said, voice low. "This isn't some sort of elaborate... flower racket... is it?"

Ginrou cleared his throat. "If its a ruse, they're very bad at it," he reassured her. "We're still getting a deal."

Nodding solemnly, Matsuri let go of him. She crossed her arms and pushed a loud breath of air from her nose. She stood that way for a few unpleasant seconds.

"Fine," she said finally. She twisted back round to face the flower seller, pointedly ignoring her 'business partner'. Reaching into a hidden pocket of her jacket, Matsuri pulled out a coin pouch and an ornate slate of wood. It was carved and painted with a circular sigil, showing the stylized form of a pegasus.

"Our residence is in the Gold District. Show this at the gate, and they'll let you in." Matsuri counted out ninety silver, and offered both the coins and the seal to the flower seller. Yellow eyes smouldered with a wrath that was probably meant for the man beside her, but was leveled at the flower seller herself. "And put that charcoal away, I don't want you dirtying our family seal."

Hanae Hiei

• Cthulu Knife
  • Wonder
How lucky for her that Hiei was so good at math. Perhaps from his earlier words, Hanae hadn’t bothered in lowering down the price to her original sum. He had a point, delivering it should cost more, shouldn’t it? Although she wasn’t too sure about the twenty silver because the order had been rushed… it’s not like it was the young Morikami’s fault for wanting to get their mother flowers on the day of her arrival. Regardless, she had enough sense to be quiet, still smiling cheerfully at the two.

Her wide smile did little to hide the anxiety of Matsuri’s palpable annoyance.

Somehow, underneath Matsuri’s glare, Hanae only smiled wider, more insistent than she had done before. Dark eyes were uplifted to small crescent moons, her red lips thin and strained. Yet Hanae smiled nonetheless, putting the charcoal away and wiping her hands clean of it’s residue.

Yes, Lady Morikami.” Hanae said, showing that her hands were clean before she did take the seal and the silver coins. What a blessing! A true, real-life blessing! It had to be the sign, it had to be! Or maybe it was from her gifts to Kishi. Hirawa women usually ended up marrying a daughter to a dragonkin at least once a generation to bring about good fortune. Perhaps Kishi was her good luck charm?

Hanae felt her cheeks flush with joy.

Thank you so much for your patronage!” She said loudly, before dipping her head low into a low bow. A single coin dropped by accident. Hanae stood up, her back straight, and looked at Matsuri and Ginrou sheepishly. “I promise,” She said as excitement began to sizzle throughout her limbs from her heart, “That everyone will love them. My carnations have always been part of my pride and joy.” Hanae announced boldly, and turned towards Hiei, her dark eyes bright and hopeful.

She’d have to give Kishi weed every day if it meant she could be blessed as she was today.

Hiei Ginrou

• Haha
  • Aww
Hiei's eyes narrowed some as the woman snapped at Hanae.

Entitlement. How he despised it. But he squeezed the muscles of his face all the more and bowed as Hanae had. While she may have despised his dancing, it helped him mirror her enthused bow with only the slighest of delays. To the untrained eye, it may have even looked rehearsed. Professional.

Though he found it hard to keep a straight face with all of Hanae's roiling excitement. For someone so small, she was loud. It had Hiei smile small and turn away from her.

She... oversold it a bit. But, well. Now was not the time for performance critiques. And it added a bit of earnest charm to the affair. He met her eyes for a moment. A bit of warmth there in them as he gave her a nod, he turned his eyes toward the siblings, gaze averted, head slightly bowed as was respectful of one of lower station.

"We will have them delivered by sunset," Hiei took up the charcoal stick, and with quick clean characters, jotted down the appropriate notes. He wasn't holding the seal, so it shouldn't be a problem. The last bit of information was the prices agreed upon. Itemized and clearly delineated.

Customer- Morikami Clan

A dozen custom Bouquets of Carnations 5 silver per bouquet... reduced to 50 Silver total

Delivery 4 silver per bouquet... reduced to 20 silver total

Rush charge for same day delivery of large order... 20 silver

Total agreed upon... 90 silver pieces

Seller- Pocketful of Petals

He snatched up the paper, turned it neatly in his hands, and presented it to the siblings. "Please, let us know if the record is agreeable,"

Hanae Ginrou

• Bless
  • Cthulu Knife
All Ginrou could do was watch as the two flower sellers bowed low to his sister - and to him, he supposed. When he'd first stopped by the little flower stall, the woman had been so kind and generous. She was still kind, but now there was something else creased in the corner of her eyes. An invisible line had been drawn between them, somewhere during the conversation.

He felt a little surge of relief when the flower seller loudly proclaimed her excitement over the carnations, seeing a bit of that earnestness again. But it was short lived. The other man - Hiei, he remembered - took up the charcoal and drew the line anew. Professional. Clean, practiced movements.

The paper stayed in the man's hands for a moment too long. Matsuri wouldn't take it. She crossed her arms, her chin held high and her lips pressed into a thin line.

Ginrou reached out and took the written agreement instead. Lashes low, his eyes darted over the numbers on the paper. By the prices marked there, they'd gotten nearly forty silvers discounted. The message between the numbers was clear - you won't get this kind of deal again. A smirk flicked across Ginrou's face. He gave a little hum of amusement.

"More than agreeable," he said, as he handed the paper back. "Just one last thing - what names should I give to the gatekeeper?"

• Cthulu Knife
  • Bless
Hanae had awkwardly crouched down to pick up the coin that had fallen. It was good to use one’s leg’s instead of back, that’s how kept from needing a cane when older. She was careful with the seal, and somehow, perhaps due to the good luck of the day, managed to pick up the coin without toppling over or dropping more coins on the ground.

She stood up. One coin fell from her hand and onto the ground. She looked down at it, missing the men’s brief conversation until a question was asked. Hanae’s gaze broke from her hard stare at the ground and when to the silver-haired man. Was Pocketful of Petals not a suitable enough name? Shouldn’t her business name be used?

Or maybe… maybe this was how a business owner built a solid relationship with repeated customers!

Hanae remembered that after she took Master Midori’s seminar on becoming your own boss and thriving in this poor economy that he did say a personal touch was needed. It would make them feel special, and everyone loved feeling special.

Hanae and Hiei,” Hanae answered before Hiei could. First names should express that Hanae was giving the Morikami siblings the encouragement that they would be friends! Or perhaps develop a relationship in the future? Hanae was still smiling through her whirlwind of thoughts, and without thinking, bowed again, this time out of gratitude and farewell. She completed four bows in the span of five seconds, holding the last one a bit longer.

If she could have she would have shouted out a series of ‘thank you’ and other platitudes, but she refrained from doing so. She could do so after dropping off the flowers, perhaps. Or, maybe next time they ordered from her!

Hiei Ginrou

• Bless
  • Aww
The transaction was accepted, but the young man asked for more information. It strained Hiei's smile, even bowed as he was before them.

Hanae coughed up an answer. Casual, and easy. Hiei breathed a little easier himself. When Hanae rose, he rose with her. When she bowed, he bowed with her. A shadow to her budding disposition. They held the last bow longer.

The final farewell. The end of the act.

"If that is all you would have of us, Mistress and Master Morikami," Hiei said coolly. "Please excuse us, we have much work to do in order to fulfill your order within the agreed upon schedule," still, he dared not to be so impertinent as to rise.

They, after all, were of noble standing. He was but a common street vendor.

Ginrou Hanae

Last edited:
  • Bless
  • Cthulu Knife
Reactions: Ginrou and Hanae
"Hanae and Hiei," Gin repeated the names warmly. "I hope we can continue working together." It was the polite thing to say after striking a beneficial deal, but he seemed to mean it.

The dark haired man was quick to hurry them away after that, and Matsuri was quick to oblige. "Alright okay that's great, let's go Gin. We've been walking around all morning and I am sooo hungry."

Ginrou found himself being pushed in a certain direction by his sister again, this time towards the street and away from the flower stand. He twisted round and snuck a wave towards the pair, before turning to follow his sister. One of the benefits of being the younger brother was not needing to be that formal all the time.

The boxes and bags Ginrou had been carrying awkwardly under one arm were redistributed back into both of his arms. Foot traffic was starting to pick up as the sun rose higher, and Gin didn't notice when one of the smaller boxes fell to the ground. It was a long black rectangle tied up with a silver ribbon, and it looked like whatever was inside was expensive.

The box clattered to the cobblestone in front of the flower cart, left behind by the two siblings. Ahead, Gin's pale hair swished around a corner as he disappeared into the crowd, blissfully unaware of his mistake.

• Gasp
  • Bless
CONTINUE!! WORKING!! TO!! GET!! HER!!!!!!!!

Hanae beamed like the sun, and when the two siblings, now one could be known as Gin (!!!), walked away, Hanae stood up and turned around to finally put the coins into her coin purse. Which she could have done all along, or perhaps even just setting it on her cart…

She turned back around, bending down low to pick up the coin that seemed to love the ground. She placed that one in her coin purse as well, still bristling from the excitement.

What an auspicious day!” Hanae exclaimed, looking at the Morikami seal. For a moment, her smile dimmed as a faraway look clouded her dark eyes. Her thumb traced along wooden sigil. She placed it down by her coin purse, heading over to her basket. Surely this good news would lessen the bit of awkwardness between her and Hiei. Their last encounter…

Hanae needed to apologize to him. Opening it up, she pulled out a small metal box. A lunch box, not decorated with a cloth or anything to show any insight to it’s owner. She also took the canister of cooled barley tea. She pivoted on her heel, hardly registering the black box that was in the road that was left behind from their recent customers.

I!” She began loudly, then paused and cleared her throat. She spoke softly. “You were thirsty earlier, so….” Hanae held out the items to Hiei and dipped her head. “Please, enjoy this as my apology for yesterday when—when I spoke wrongly of you.” She brought her head back up, her gaze meeting Hiei’s. “And please forgive me for overstepping on our relationship. I will ensure to behave properly from here on out.” Hanae said firmly.

Then added a meek, “but if you could help me deliver this order I’d appreciate it.

Hiei Ginrou

• Ctuhlu senpai
  • Bless
There she went again, loud ecstatic. He couldn't help but laugh a bit at the way she seemed to shake. Her hands and limbs almost seemed to vibrate with excitement as she looked to the seal, and the way she smiled.

"Auspicious," he nodded in agreement. "I suppose we could call it that, yes," best to save the talk of hard numbers for another time. The service charge an delivery fee would make sure they made some coin. Likely more coin than the cart had made all day yesterday. Small, meaningful improvements. Those were oft the ones that lead to long term success.

Least, that's what he had learned over the years.

His eyes had fallen to the flower cart, and all the bright blooms that stirred with the wind. "Should probably push these into some shade," he said absent mindedly, for his skin felt the heat of the highnoon sun, and some part of his mind recalled lazy summer days tending a lonely flower pot. A soft voice giving him that piece of advice.

I!

Hiei jumped some, eyes wide as they snapped to find Hanae. She cleared her throat, and offered him something. He nod, and took up the plain tin box, weighty with something inside, and the tea, cool to the touch. She bowed, and he was caught a bit off guard by it all. Struck all the more when her earnest gaze came up and caught his. Her words sure and confident. Until they weren't.

He smiled at her request.

"Of course," he answered. "We are business partners, after all," he said easily. Raised the tin box and the corked stoneware bottle. "Thank you," he wasn't sure if he could so easily forgive all she had said but... "I appreciate the gesture, Hanae," he said, eyes still fixed on the box and the tea. It was so thoughtful of her.

Even if it was to make up for her misstep.

He dipped his head in turn, raised the gifts to his crown, and held them there a long moment. A sign of appreciation, and acceptance of what energies came his way. He rose up, slowly, and put the items down. His eyes looked past her, and he saw a black shape he could have sworn the young man was carrying.

"Hmm," he sounded, and paced over to the box quickly enough, picked it up, and brought it back to the cart. Stopped next to Hanae and gave it an investigatory shake. "Wonder what it is," he said with a sly grin.

Hanae

• Wonder
  • Cthuloo
With everything smoothed over between them, at least to the point that now hopefully there would be no awkwardness, Hanae was more than happy to give the items to Hiei. She went to go get something, and when she heard the rattling of a box and Hiei’s question, she turned, raised up her index finger.

It’s nothing special, rice and pickled turnips and—“ She looked at the black box, wrapped with a silver ribbon. “Hiei, no!” Hanae shouted, her face getting pale. She quickly went towards the man, reaching out for the box but stopped before she was even close. “It could be fragile,” Hanae whispered to him, pointing at the box. “More fragile than glass, maybe.” She added, her eyes darting back to that box.

It must belong to the Morikami’s.” She decided.

Hiei

• Ctuhlu senpai
  • Aww
He grinned wider. Noticed that she didn't actually try to stop him. "Could be broken already," he said matter of fact, and gave it another little shake. It... didn't sound broken. It sounded solid, heavy. "It's probably expensive," he teased, gave her a sly look, then put the box on the cart between them. "We can return it to them with the delivery of the bouquets," he added, and looked over the sign she had painted. Gave it a nod of his chin. "The sign looks nice," he said and picked up the food stuffs. Cracked open the tin box, and leaned against the cart.

The familiar sourness of pickled turnips and blanched broccoli with the tang of soy sauce. Pale and dark roasted sesame seeds sprinkled on top. He smirked, and took up the chopsticks laid neatly across.

"It looks lovely," he said, and raised a chopstick to his crown with another grateful bow of the head. Picked up a turnip and popped it into his mouth. "Taste good too," he motioned to her with the chopsticks, before grabbing up a piece of broccoli, dark thin sauce dripped off its stem. "Want to share?" he asked. And offered her the saucy vegetable.

Hanae

• Ctuhlu senpai
  • Cthulu Knife
Hanae somehow became paler from Hiei’s words and his second shake. For someone who was serious all the time, look at how he was handling another person’s property! All Hanae could think was how they’d now have to hide the box somewhere if it was broken. Maybe when they went to the Morikami home, they could toss the box near a wall or a common walkway?

She snatched the box quickly, holding it tightly to her chest.

You’re not shaking this again.” She said sternly, looking at Hiei with a mild frown. She went to go and hide the box from him, before he decided he wanted to treat the box like how she had treated her bouquets the day before.

Hanae came back to Hiei taking a bite from the lunch she had prepare for him. Hanae was not a excellent cook, but she was a good cook. The few things that she could make, which ironically were either her grandma’s famous spicy noodles or vegetable dishes, were made very well. Of course one could argue that they were side dishes and not a main course, but Hanae had always had a particular fondness to rice.

Shouldn’t rice be the main course?

Oh. No, Hiei,” Hanae felt her cheeks grow hot and she held up her hands as she shook her head. “I made one for me too. That one is just for you. Please enjoy it fully.” She glanced at her sign, and at the flowers on display. She didn’t feel hungry at all, and she had even skipped breakfast this morning to make sure she had everything ready for today.

I can’t wait,” She said, partially to herself, “to bring them the flowers. I know I’ll see joy in their eyes, even with that woman.

Hiei Ginrou

• Cthuulove
Hiei shrugged, and popped the broccoli into his mouth, chewed, and went on eating. "Make sure you eat," he reminded her. "We have a dozen bouquets to make, and deliver," he shovelled a clump of rice into his mouth next.

He smiled, small and to himself as Hanae looked over the cart, and said some sweet bit of honesty to herself. He felt his face warm again, and he looked away, content.

To be wrapped in such delicate tenderness. A feeling like flower petals, bound together with the want to bloom. Each breath sweet with the smell of it all.

What an odd sadness he felt. An ache.

"Well," he said between chewing and plopping more food into his mouth. "We should get going on those orders right?" He scooped up the last bit of food, and closed the tin. "Eat something, I'll get the cart moving," he said with sure voice. His eyes found hers, I remember the way. They seemed to say, and he already moved to put up the sign.

Hanae Ginrou

• Ctuhlu senpai
  • Cthulu Knife
The Morikami's home was neither sprawling nor compact. It seemed to find a happy medium, nestled between the towering buildings around it. A tall stone wall surrounded the grounds and separated it from the street traffic. It stood open most of the time, with but a single gatekeeper posted up outside. Within the walls, a garden courtyard led to several outbuildings, as well as the main residence. On a warm spring day like this, the sliding doors and windows were all open, leaving few visual barriers between the inside and the gardens outside.

There was more commotion today than usual. Servants were running about, sweeping debris off the ledges in fine puffs of dust and and airing out oft neglected corners of the estate. Everything and everyone needed to be in perfect order, for the return of the house's matriarch later that evening.

Ginrou was in the kitchen, cooking the midday meal. His hair was tied up off his neck as he worked, and he'd shed his fancy outer robes to keep them from getting dirty. He'd been trying to learn more Taagi Baara dishes lately. Today's challenge was dumplings deep fried in mutton fat. Hot oil sizzled in the pan, crackling against the meat and dough. It was supposed to be a simple dish, be he didn't really know if he was doing it right. The recipe book next to him made no comment about what texture or color the dumplings should be when they were done. That was something a local would already know, after all.

Though his mind ought to be on other things, he kept thinking about the two flower sellers. Hiei and Hanae. Even with the rocky start to the conversation, they worked so well together. What had she said? He does the math so I can grow the flowers. Maybe that's how things were supposed to be. People could just do what they were good at, and not worry about the rest.

A splash of oil jumped out of the pan and bit Gin on the hand. He startled with a sharp inhale, and took a step back. A painful reminder. Just because he'd had such an exciting morning, didn't mean he could zone out yet. There was still so much to do...

Hiei Hanae

• Cthulu Knife
  • Wonder
Reactions: Hiei and Hanae
I can eat later,” Hanae insisted as she made sure the Morikami family seal was in a secure place, alongside that strange black box tied in silver ribbon. With Hiei moving the cart for her, she was free to walk beside him, ebullient at the prospect of her first big order. Everyone knew that florists made their money from large orders such as these: whether it was a wedding, funeral or other celebratory reason.

As they came to her home, Hanae did, out of habit more than anything else, instruct where the cart should go. When she turned her head, she saw her rows of peonies. She did not have blue peonies— and for good reason! The soil often had to be poisoned to get peonies to be such a color and Hanae would rather protect her plants— but there was a series of other colors.

Her dark eyes focused on her pride and joy of all her peonies: the thousand-petal crown peonies. Hard and fickle to grow, Hanae had yet to master blending different colors together and only had white, yellow, and red.

Hanae grabbed her clippers and went over to the yellow ones, snipping off half a dozen. The man, Gin, had really wanted the peonies, hadn’t he?

She only hoped that yellow would be alright.

So,” She turned towards Hiei, smiling while holding the long peony stalks in the crook of her arm as if it were a newborn. “Let me show you the ins and outs of being a budding florist.” Hanae said, heading back to where her carnations were.

Hiei Ginrou

• Ctuhlu senpai
  • Wonder
This place again. It looked different in the day. Though he already knew that, didn't he? Standing around in the garden though, that was new. He didn't remember the garden. He breathed in the smell of it. All the flowers. It made him feel dizzy. A bit lost in the haze of all their sweetness as he stood by and feigned disinterest.

Easier than admitting he was scared.

The walk they had shared. He scrunched his brow. Huffed. Business partners. He reminded himself, and stepped away from the parked cart.

Probably best to see what she was up to, right? Offer his assistance. But she popped up, flowers cradled in her arms, with big proud heads in full bloom. Hiei blinked, didn't feel the flush that crept up his neck. Bowed his head. "Eager to learn!" he announced, and followed after Hanae when she turned.

1678418587518.jpeg"Ginrou," came a small hushed voice from just behind the busy young scion's shoulder. "Busy tending to the function, I see," the voice did little to hide the smile on the young woman's face, though with all the noise of the sizzling oil, and the crackling flame, it was hard to tell if the towering youth had heard her.

But he was busy. And, if there was something she had always loved about Rou, it was how he got lost in the things he loved.

Yon, second daughter of the Mun family, watched as the Ginrou worked. A small smile worn across her lips as he tended the plump bits of food, so full of ingredients she knew he had folded in with care.

"Smells spicy," she added. But he went on working. Till the oil popped and he sucked in a breath, his trance broken from the dance of the fire and the shimmer of the rich oil and fat. "Oh!" she announced, seeing the pain flash across his face. Put a hand on his arm, and offered her hand to him. "I can, I can heal it if you want, Rou," she said, worry there in her periwinkle eyes.

Ginrou Hanae

• Wonder
  • Ctuhlu senpai