Private Tales Fight Night

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The build-up of anticipation had the desired effect that Edward was aiming for. While Insidious might be famous here, Fenic and the big guy were famous all over. The cheers they received easily overshadowed their opponent's.

He was also happy to notice that the number of people looking distraught for having a bet on Insidious far outweighed those cheering that had voted for Fen. This would bring in some good money.

Edward gently placed his hand on Fenic's shoulder as she entered her trance. He would keep the hand there for the remainder of the fight to ensure that he always had her right next to him.

While he wanted to focus on the fight, Edward would focus on protecting Fenic. The moral rightness of the crowd was roughly at a negative ten, given Ed's own estimations. He would want to keep this fight as fair as possible. If it was fair then they could easily win.

Insidious entered his own chant, and he had his own bodyguards protecting him. As soon as the fight started, the Royal Basilisk leaped forward to meet Apocolisk. It was clear that the strategy was rather simple, aiming to impale the creature on its hard spikes.
As she suspected, Insidious was headstrong and taking an equally violent tactic, hoping to impale her on the basilisks spines.

Apocolisk landed once before the two beasts clashed, and on contact with the ground changed the trajectory of her next pounce.
She shot off to the side, landing with her feet on the wall of the arena, which shook the floor the patrons were standing on and splintered many boards, and immediately springboarding off of the wall to catch Insidious on his flank, blindsiding him in two quick jumps.

Insidious was well protected on nearly all sides by spines coming from it's back, it was like an alligator and a porcupine had a baby.
But the vulnerable spot on both Alligators and porcupines was the stomach.
Apocolisk hit hard and fast from the side, using her oversized arms and claws to reach under the beast and flip Insidious over either to his side or on his back, it made little difference.

He was vulnerable.

Before Insidious could recover Apocolisk rushed in and swiped twice at the basilisks exposed belly, creating six deep gashes with her larger claws before jumping back to avoid that whipping tail.
Apocolisk let out a triumphant rattling hiss to combine with the roar of cheers, first blood was hers!

• Cheer
Reactions: Edward Lorain
Insidious quickly got to their feet and roared in anger at being blooded. While the tail of the creature was primarily for balance, it looked like he had spent some type practicing using the appendage as a weapon. The spine-covered tail whipped out to try and strike the Apocolisk.

Insidious was far more cautious now that he saw his opponent's movement capabilities. The royal Basilisk lowed itself leaving less room to get to its stomach.

The crowd cheered heavily at the first blood. Edward's hand squeezed a little tighter on Fen's shoulder in excitement as she successfully landed the first blow. He even noticed some members of the crowd were trying to argue with the bookies to chance their bet, but he knew that it would not work.

Fenic Creed Maliyah Molinari

• Bless
Reactions: Fenic Creed
Maliyah cheered with most of the crowd as Apocolisk drew first blood. She studied Insidious and noticed that he took precautions to cover his stomach. It was smart but she had faith in Apocolisk.

Well...faith was a strong word. She had confidence that the girl and her beast would take Insidious down.

One of the things she enjoyed about the fights was that there was always a losing side and there was always those who wanted to say they made a mistake in their bets. It was cute.

Fenic Creed Edward Lorain

• Bless
Insidious quickly got to their feet and roared in anger at being blooded. While the tail of the creature was primarily for balance, it looked like he had spent some type practicing using the appendage as a weapon. The spine-covered tail whipped out to try and strike the Apocolisk.

Insidious was far more cautious now that he saw his opponent's movement capabilities. The royal Basilisk lowed itself leaving less room to get to its stomach.
Good, caution.

Apocolisk started to move, walking a little slower now as she began to slowly circle the basilisk. She was wary of the tail but knew her reflexes could avoid the slashing barbs.
She could smell the blood and see it splatter in the sand beneath the beasts belly.

Apocolisk flexed the claws on her shorter pair of arms while she used the bigger set to walk in a wide loop around her enemy just out of range of his tail, exposing her flank to Insidious in a thinly veiled attempt to bait him into another attack while she seemed to be looking for another opening.

The audience could see the rippling muscles across her massive shoulders with each step she took, he head low and her eyes scanning as she circled her prey.
The smell of blood activated predatory instincts in Apocolisk that weren't present in Fenic.
She was powerful, she was in control... She wanted to toy with her prey, play with her food.

She didn't wait for Insidious to take the bait, she feinted, jumping forward and baiting an attack from him which invariably came from the lacerating tail with its longer range.
She ducked the swing, then caught the tail on the withdrawal in her large upper claws.
She grabbed the tail firmly so that the basilisk couldn't rip it's tail from her and damage her hands.

Then she yanked hard to the side, pulling Insidious backwards and completely off his feet, then she yanked hard the other way before he could recover.
With a loud roar she pulled the tail and stood on her hind legs, spinning in a circle and lifting the basilisk into the air.
She spun him through the air a couple times, once... Twice... Thrice... Four times, five... Six.

She was having fun and getting thoroughly dizzy, but his weight was starting to throw her off her footing. So she let go, sending him flying into the air and smashing solidly into the wall of the arena, again shaking the floor for the audience with the impact.
She went to all fours and shook her head to stop the room from spinning and waited for the dust to settle. If that didn't end the fight, she hoped it would break or blunt some of his spikey armor, her claws were bleeding a little bit from holding on to his tail, but it was hardly anything.

The large beast slammed into the wall, shaking the entire building. Much of the crowd was jostled and even a few almost fell into the pit. Thankfully, the closest anyone came was hazardously leaning a little over the pit before managing to pull back.

There was a pause of silence in the crowd before they broke into a large cheer, everyone believing that the battle was done. The cheers fell though as Insidious slowly managed to get to its feet. A bit of blood was pouring from the creature's mouth along with many of the spines along its back having broken or cracked in places.

The crowd expected the battle to start once again before a brief shudder ran through the creatures, it looked around confused, and they were quickly taken back control. There was movement on the other side of the crowd before the announcer spoke.

"Insidious forfeits. The winner is...APOCOLISK!!!"

The crowd cheered its loudest yet, even though a few look mad at having lost money. The large man came out of his trance before looking at Edward and Fen and offering a slight nod. In the battles in such backwaters, coming across good creatures was difficult, so it was important to know when to accept a loss in order to save the beast.

As soon as victory was announced, Edward cheered along with the crowd, except the cheer was over shadows by the sound of gold clinking in his own mind. He spun her around and pulled Fennic into a deep hug before she was even out of her trance.

"Oh, I knew you could do it. Great work as always Fen, I'll make sure to get you and the big guy some good food."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Maliyah joined everyone (again mostly everyone) in cheering for Apocolisk's victory. She was quick to slide through the crowd and sidle up to her bookie with an outstretched hand.

"Mal, I should've known that little girl was gonna win when I saw your bet. You got some sense on these things," the bookie said as he counted money into a pouch. Once it was counted, he held it out to his most loyal customer.

"I just know my fighters, Brig. There isn't any magic to it," she took the pouch and retreated from the growing crowd that wanted their winnings.

She was going to do it. She was going to talk to Edward. She was going to get a job. She could do it.

Maliyah started to walk towards the last place she had seen Edward and the girl standing but her steps slowed as she got closer. The wannabe pirate took a breath and finally approached.

"Captain Lorain," she started politely to get his attention. "I was hoping to join your crew."

She got straight to the point once she found her courage apparently.

• Bless
Apocolisk waited patiently for the dust to clear and the beast to be visible.
She saw the damage done and knew for certain she had this in the bag... But did her opponent know it?

She watched Insidious stand up again, with broken spines and more blood.
She lowered to a crouch in preparation, but stopped when the beast fell down, no longer being controlled.

The announcer made his proclamation.
"Insidious forfeits. The winner is...APOCOLISK!!!"
Apocolisk, upon hearing his name.
Stood up on his hind legs and let out another long earsplitting roar, declaring his victory!

The he crawled back to his cage and curled up.

Fenic came to... To an unexpected situation.
" - work as always Fen, I'll make sure to get you and the big guy some good food."
She was in Edwards arms and apparently he was congratulating her.
She smiled in spite of herself as the foreign sensation around her frail frame wasn't unpleasant... But rather... relaxing.

A hug... But not just any hug, she'd been hugged before... But a hug from her master. It filled her up with a warm feeling and she couldn't help but grin like a stupid fool as he praised her!

But her smile vanished when someone approached them, and she tapped Edward on the shoulder and pointed to the woman to bring his attention around.
"Captain Lorain," she started politely to get his attention. "I was hoping to join your crew."

Edward pulled away from Fenic and then turned his gaze to look across the room and lack eyes with Brunhilda with a large grin. She rolled her eyes and motioned to a small lock box next to her that Edward would be able to carry. Happy that his money was in sight, he was about to move and retrieve their winnings when he was interrupted by Fen's tapping and then a voice.

He slowly turned to look at this girl. His eyes looked her up and down and were quickly able to determine that she had never been on a ship. Ok, that was a bit extreme, but she was no sailor.

"First, glad to see that my name gets around. Second, why should I take...a bar wench on my ship."

Ed remembered where he had seen her towards the end of his sentence. He was certainly heavily intoxicated the last time he had seen her, but Edward was not one to forget a pretty face in a tavern.

Maliyah Molinari Fenic Creed

• Popcorn
"First, glad to see that my name gets around. Second, why should I take...a bar wench on my ship."

If Maliyah had been a hound, her hackles would have raised. It was a fair question, of course, but it did not make her less on edge all of a sudden. She wanted to bite back that she was not a bar wench and that had just been a job so she could learn about him. No...that was not the way to start off.

"Because I have gold, I am a quick learner," she started to answer, "and I can heal..."

She was taking a chance here and she did not like to advertise her magic but this seemed like a good place to do just that.

"And I always bet on Apocolisk," she added with a smile at the girl.

• Aww
Fenic stood slightly behind Edward and peeked out from behind his coat.
She wasn't scared, but her face was neutral at the stranger, scanning the woman up and down while trying to avoid making eye contact.

"And I always bet on Apocolisk," she added with a smile at the girl.
She drew back further behind Edward when the lady turned her attention on her, but not completely, still staring but in an assessing manner.

Did they need Apocolisk again? As Apocolisk she could easily get both Edward and herself out of the tavern no matter who tried to stop them.
She clung to Edwards coattails, tugging slightly in silent question as to what she should do.

Edward rested his hand on Fen's shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "It's alright, Fen. We are fine here." He turned his attention back to the girl and just stared at her for a moment.

The healing was a plus, but having to feed an extra mouth was negative. Gold was always a benefit. She claimed to be a quick learner, but he did not have much time to be teaching. It was rare that people went out of their way to find them, though.

He was about to voice his opinion when felt the slightest breeze across his right hand. It was warm and gentle, and that was all the confirmation he needed.

A smile spread across his face.

"Well, I suppose we can start you with a trial run and see how you do."

Maliyah simply smiled and nodded at Edward while inside she was screaming and happy. She was a professional now, she couldn’t go jumping up and down at good news.

“Thank you,” she said as her smile grew a bit more. The only give to her internal celebrations. “My name is Maliyah Molinari and you will not regret this.”

Would she regret saying her last name though? Her father had been a known pirate and she was not sure who his enemies were from those days. She just knew he moved far away to get away from this life and give her a better one.

So naturally she wanted to be a pirate.

“I just have to grab my pack from the back room and I will be ready!”

Edward Lorain Fenic Creed

• Thoughtful
Okay, so they weren't going to have to run... But still the crowd was making her uneasy.

Edward hired the girl. So she must be okay. She came out a bit from behind Edward and gave Maliyah a cordial nod.
Then she tugged on Edward's coat again.
"Can we get our money and Apocolisk and get out of here?"

"Yeah...Will you go over and get the money Fen? Don't worry Brunhilda is safe."

Ed's eyes never left Maliyah as he seemed to be thinking. "Molinari...I feel like I've heard that name before...Wait, you related to the pirate Molinari? I thought he got eaten out at sea."

The man had gone missing several years ago, after a pretty successful run of voyages. Ed had never met the man, but his name served as a warning for the dangers of too many things going right and nothing going wrong. Eventually, karma was supposed to catch up with you.

Maliyah stood stoic under Edwards gaze. His question caused a half smirk to form on her lips.

"Something like that. My mother threatened to kill him if he didn't come home and help raise his child," she pointed a finger towards her chest to indicate she was indeed that child. "Granted I was an adult by then but she still used me as an excuse."

She chuckled thinking about when her father first came home permanently. "The last thing he wanted me to do was follow in his footsteps but, naturally, that is exactly what I want to do."

She pursed her lips for a moment as she stood their awkwardly.

"And I have heard you are a great Captain..."

• Aww
Fenic walked quickly over to Brunhilda, took their money and walked right back hefting the heavy box in her skinny arms and grunting from the effort.

When she was back at Edward's side she stood there for a moment, but the weight got too much and she groaned as she lowered it to the floor and rubbed circulation back into her arms.

"Well, first, whoever told you that last bit was a liar, but I appreciate you looking anyway. As for your father...I suggest you don't make that known around here...Rumors don't just pop out of thin air, someone chose to make that rumor. I don't think they would like finding out that your father wasn't killed at sea."

His thoughts were interrupted as a large grin broke out on his face and his eyes got wide. He quickly moved to pick up the box, and although he strained slightly, he did not show any signs of letting go of their new fortune.

"Ah, I love idiots. I truly do...Ok, quickly get your belongings, my dear. We are leaving."

The longer they were here was longer some drunks would think they were lucky and try to get back their failed bets. Edward really did not feel like having to kill someone tonight. He made his way over to the door, ensuring Fen was nearby, and waited for Maliyah.

A soft wind blew by his ear and he whispered to himself. "I know. I'm trying to leave. Just a few more seconds."

Maliyah Molinari Fenic Creed

• Stressed
Yes, the rumor was started so he could retire without his enemies knowing. Edward was right about keeping it secret that he was actually alive and well. Pissed off at his daughter but alive and well.

Maliyah quickly excused herself when Fenic returned and made her way to the backroom to get her bag. She did not own many things so it was easy to carry everything with her.

Once she had her bag, she headed back out into the tavern to leave with her new crew.

• Cthuulove
Fenic was getting antsy with waiting. There were people caging up Apocolisk for transportation back to their ship and others were dragging the wounded Basilisk off the sands.

Even though everything seemed to be going well she caught Edward whispering for not the first or last time to some unseen companion, and she’d come to trust whatever it was this invisible stranger told her master, it’d warned them of way more trouble than they’ve gotten out of, but it was reliable.

Something was going to happen if they didn’t leave soon.

As soon as Maliyah returned, Ed was rushing them out the door and bringing up the rear. He had noticed a few people watching him while they waited, but he had not bothered to tell the other two. Hopefully, they could just run and none would be the wiser.

The streets of Teth were dark, dirty, and complicated, but to Edward, they were home. He called out directions to Fenic and Maliyah as they moved down several streets. The wind around him felt restless, but he did not need it to tell him they were being followed. He could hear the sound of several footsteps.

"The docks should just be the next right and then keep going straight...I'm right behind you."

He did not stop running, but he did seem to slow down a bit.

• Scared
Maliyah kept up easily with Fenic and Edward since she preferred to stay in shape at all times. When he called out the directions, she looked back at him and nodded. She was not going to disobey him this early in her pirating career.

She took the next right after making sure Fenic was with her and then continued on. She knew which ship was Edwards.

She also realized that she really did seem like a stalker.

• Nervous
Fenic ran as best she could... Which was still clumsy at best. She wished she was agile as Apocolisk not for the last time in her life.
She clung to Edward's coat to stay on her feet as she tried to keep up, then as he took up the rear she was forced to grab hold of Maliyah's hand to keep from tripping and falling.

They didn't have to run very far or fast for Fenic to be out of breath, years of surviving with little forced her to be a minimalist in everything, she never moved faster than she had to in order to conserve her energy, she wasn't accustomed to this pitched pace.

Finally her toe caught the edge of a crate and she stumbled and fell, losing her grip on Maliyah's hand as she scraped her hands and knees on the cobblestones with a soft cry of pain.

Edward still kept running, but he came to a complete stop when he saw Fenic fall down ahead of him. He skidded to a halt to turn around and see five individuals walking toward him with swords and daggers.

Even with the obvious danger, Ed never released his grip on his box of coins. He continued to back up slightly, but a smile spread across his face.

"Gentlemen, how can I be of service on such a lovely night? I believe there were some lovely ladies on the last road back that could satisfy your needs...I'm sure they know some men that would do the same if you swing that way."

"Don't give us that crap, Lorain. We want our money back...and will take the rest too." They stepped a bit closer, but for every step they took forward, Edward would take another step back.

"Now, I feel that would go against the spirit of the beast fights. I would hate to sully my honor."

The biggest one went to say something before Edward yelled out talking to some unseen entity.

"If you let me out of here, then I will go wherever you take me next. No questions asked"

The robbers were confused, first thinking Ed was talking to him before a large gust of wind through the thin street. There was a pause of silence as nothing happened before a large sign from one of the stores to the right fell from its position and crashed to the ground. The sign fell straight through the wooden street and into the waters beneath, since this portion of the city was man-made and was built over the ocean. The hole in the wooden street was directly between Edward and the set of brigands.

"Oh, would you look at the time? Time to go." Edward turned and took off only stopping next to Fen. "Up and at 'em, Fen. We set sail at once."

• Wonder
Maliyah stopped as she felt Fenic's hand slip from hers. She came back around to grab the girl as she watched the sign fall through the path that they had just been running on. She was struck still for a moment with her hand extended down to Fenic to help her up.

It was when she heard Edward's voice again that she seemed to come back to the present. She pulled Fenic up and continued on towards the ship.

"What was that?" Maliyah asked as they moved away from the robbers.

• Bless
Fenic looked up to witness Edward facing down their pursuers, buying them a few moments.
Fenic was just about to take Maliyah's hand and scramble to her feet when she also witnessed a miracle occur before her very eye!

The sign crashed through the ground and blocked them off from the thugs!

Soon they were running again.
"Up and at 'em, Fen. We set sail at once."
"Yes sir!"
She replied as she got her feet under her and started running again, still holding Maliyah's hand.
"What was that?" Maliyah asked as they moved away from the robbers.
"An Angel." Fenic responded with absolute confidence.
She'd heard stories guardian angels from other slaves, claimed that any miracle or bit of good luck was a guardian angel keeping them safe.
Fenic never believed she'd ever actually witness a guardian angel in action though!