Private Tales En Route

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Valdr had since sent word to Brandr, who was outside her main door on watch, while the rest of the Queensguard were in their rooms.

He had also bathed and now sat in his greaves and a loose fitting tunic, the v-cut of it allowing the top of his chest tattoos to be visible. When the knock came, he would be seated at a chair and enjoying some spirits.

Rising to his feet, he would set down the tankard and made his way to the interior door. He would open the door with a smile. "No need to be so formal, Esme." He opened the door wider and stepped aside. "Please, come in."

• Yay
Reactions: Esmeralda
Esme stepped into his room, "I was not certain whether not you had company," she closed the door behind her and took a seat close to the crackling fire place.
"It is quite strange to be spending the night in an Inn, our entire journey we have either been on tents, on a ship or slept openly under the night sky."

She reached over to the table next to where she was seated for the jug of mead to fill a goblet for herself.

"And what company would I have?" He asked as he walked into his room, looking over his shoulder. He would grab a goblet for her and set it down so that she could fill it.

"Yes, well, Epressa has a small population when compared to Liadain. There are maybe a few thousand in your kingdom. There are a few thousand in my House. Larger Houses boast millions. All that you see here is quaint comparatively to the main cities of Aniria or even south east to Alliria." He would then take his seat once more and take a pull from his tankard.

• Yay
Esme narrowed her eyes, and in a playful tone she asked, "Are you mocking me Lord?."
She took her sip of her wine, "if you wish for me to call you king I suggest you get to it."
Esmerelda raised her left hand and wiggles her fingers.

"Mocking you?" He asked with a side glance. "In what way would i be mocking you? Over population counts?" He laughed. "Nay, I'm informing you in advance, should we go to Vel Anir. Many i know that aren't from Aniria find it to be staggering, I know my father did."

At the tease of her own, he smirked, before setting down his tankard. He then slid from seat and took her wiggling left hand in his own and knelt before her. "Esme, my dear.. my Queen.. I already gave you a ring." He teased with a grin before kissing her left hand and releasing it. "I will propose when I feel that you've.. decided on marrying me. And in a much nicer place than an inn." He rose to his feet and moved back to his seat.

• Sip
On his note about Vel Anir she replied, "Well, even if I do feel slightly displaced, you would not yet know the difference."

When Valdr returned to his seat she continued, "As for marraige, all in good time Lord, in good time."
Esmes eyes slipped down to Valdrs chest, parts of his ink markings exposed. "Tell me about that." Her question across as more a command then anything else.

"You are more easily read then you believe, though perhaps I am just starting to learn how to read you better." He mused with a faint smile.

She spoke of marriage a bit more and he dismissed it with a smile. Of course it would be a time off, though he also knew the Councilmen would likely force her to make the marriage sooner, a disturbing thought.

Her dropped to his chest and his hand moved to what was exposed without looking down. "The mark of the Wardens, the sigil of our Order. At the base, shows our discipline of study, an identifier should a body be recovered without a head, and the ranks we've held."

• Thoughtful
Esme leaned in closer, "Do you mind if I get a better look?"

She moved her hair to the one side of her face so that it did not fall all over as bent.

"I have always wanted to get my facial markings, but as soon as my brother...well when it came the time, it had already been announced I would take the throne, and with that the markings will differ to those of a warrior, patterns and such."

"Not at all." He mused, though seeing just a bit through the cut of the tunic would be tiresome. So as she leaned forward, his hands worked the laces and clips of his tunic before he shrugged it off.

She would recognize some of the scars from their discussions and on the boat when she helped with his would, but now she would gazing upon the sigil of a pair of gryphons, a shield and sword on one side, linked to a crown. "Well, i suppose i should get some at some point eventually too. To show that I will adopt your peoples ways as my own. A melding of traditions."

• Aww
Esme was impressed that Valdr was willing to get the traditional markings of her people, it could be seen on her face, he truly was committed.

"You will have to go through a testing, certain rituals and at the end it will be decided apon by our chief warrior, they will decide what your ranking will be in our ways and what markings you will receive."

Without a second thought she touched one of the scars on his lower abdomen.
"I will recieve mine when we are back in Route, we left so soon after my coronation the council decided it could wait."

The facial tattoos Esme would recive would be slightly different from those of her countrymen, she was a warrior, but also a Queen so hers would be a representation of not only her prouwis in battle but also her reign.

"I have already attained the highest order of Knighthood here in my land, fought beside Rhogars berserkers, I am more than ready and willing to face these Routen trials." He would say solemnly. It would be hard, it would be difficult, but if he was to be a King of Route, to be her husband, he needed to prove he was one of them.

If there was a reaction to her touch upon his lower abdomen, it didn't show. "Well, we could have waited until after before we left." He reassured her. "But.. since we are already here, we'll just have to throw the people a large feast to celebrate your return and your tattoos."

• Aww
"Give me moment,"
Esme stood up and went to her own room through their adjoining door. She rifled through her bags and came back to where she had been seated and gave a piece of parchment to Valdr, the seal already broken. The letter read follows:

Your Majesty, Queen Esmerelda Sophia Le Roux The First Of Her Name,

We have come to the decision that if you return from your travels back to Route and do not yet have a solidified betrothel you will begin to entertain other, more serious suitors such as the Duke Quinton Van Rensburg.

There is still unrest amongst our people and the allies gained by your father are starting to fade much quicker, they wish to see a King at your side.

The news of the banishment of one of your personal warriors has spread and much speculation has surrounded it, talk of a child, of Her Majesty being infatuated with a commoner.

There is much to discuss when you return.
- Councilman Loric

As Valdr read over the letter Esme once again grew angry thinking of the contents. Her rule was most definitely not defined by whether or not she was married. She knew one hell of an argument was waiting for her when they arrived back in Route.

Valdr read the note, though he was unsure how it had gotten to them so quickly. To his knowledge, the Routens had nothing capable of flight and teleportation was impossible without use of the portal stones. One part of it stuck out above the rest: whispers of a child.

He would set down the note, his facial expression neutral. "Well, we solidify our betrothal, if only to buy you more time. When we return to Route, I will challenge Quinton for his duchy and remove a major opponent from power. The people will want to see a challenge and that pressure will force him to accept. A challenge for the right to court you. I.. will not lose." He paused to take a drink from his tankard. "And the child part is a lie that will be able to prove in a few months."

• Sip
"Valdr I will not allow myself to be pressured into a premature betrothel, my council has a say but I have the power."
Esme downed what was left in her glass.
"If you wish to duel Quinton then I shall not stand in you way, but his threats to sieze power are empty. If he has the support of my Uncles then it would be different but he does not."

She took back the parchement when he had finished reading, "As we had agreed, there are no secrets between us. I did hesitate at first to show you but then I came to realize this not only affects me, but you aswell."

"Esme, a betrothal can be ended at any time. This buys us time to identify key rivals and not only eliminate them, but find a way to do it legally and with the will of the people." He sighed. "You have the power as long as they allow you to have it. This letter tells me that we should be cutting this trip short so we can deal with this." The fact they could send a letter like this meant her power was nearly nonexistent, or they had zero regard for her as their monarch.

"And if Quinton is named on this letter, he has the support, or at least has a good following. Not only that, the man is a fool, your uncles will back him if they believe they can control you.. or remove you." He looked at the parchment as she took it back.

"I'm glad you showed me this, but we need to address this tactfully. If you go back and scream at them in court, they'll use that to say you're unfit. Especially if every monarch before you was married when they took the crown, or shortly after." He would reach for her hand and take it gently. "Let me help you secure this future for us."

• Nervous
Esme did not want to belive what he said but she knew in her heart, he was right.

"Valdr, my largest concern is that you feel pressured into a commitment when you are not ready. Yes betrothels can be broken. My Kingdom may be small but if we become engaged you will have that weight to carry."

He nodded. "Esme.. I've already made my choice, of what I want to do. There is nothing more that I won't be willing to do." He leaned back in his seat. "I.. want to move forward with this. If I didn't, I wouldn't be offering up all these ideas."

• Wonder
"Thank you Valdr," she said with peace in her heart. Esme lent over and took his hand, "I still do not with to cut your trip short. I want to meet your people, your family, see your world."

She took his hand and he would give hers a tight and reassuring squeeze. "Then respond with word that we have formalized our betrothal. That buys us time, we get to stay out here for a time, and then we return and deal with the threats to your crown." He leaned forward to kiss her hand. "We will return with a fleet and a small army."

• Dab
"Thank you Valdr, it truly means a lot to me that you sre going through this trouble and are always willing to lend an ear or offer council."

Esme stood up now and stepped toward Valdr and lent down, kissing him on the cheek she walked back to their connecting door, "I am grateful for you Rangvaldr, truly."
Esmerelda offered him a small smile, but it ment much more. She opened her door, "Goodnight."

"Just preparing for our future." He reassured her with a smile. "Anything for you, Esme." He would add gently.

When she stood, he was about to rise to his feet when she bent down to kiss his cheek. He would lift one hand to cup her face as she bent, his thumb caressing the cheek farthest from him while he kissed her other cheek in response.

Then she made for their shared door, stopping at the threshold, he did hate seeing her go, but the smile that followed was worth it. "I know. Sweet dreams, my Queen."

• Smug
Esme woke up the next day at the crack of dawn. Not wanting to wake anyone, she slipped out of bed and got dressed then tip toed down to the main part if the inn, got herself a table and enjoyed some caffine whilst watching the sun make its appearance

Valdr had already been awake, unable to find comfort as his mind wandered. He would be seated on his balcony when he heard the stirring next door. Thinking nothing of it, he reclined in his spot on the balcony until he heard a door open, then close.

Rising to his feet, he would grab his gambeson and pull it on before he exited his room. Brandr would be posted outside and offer Valdr a nod.

"Lord. She's down there." Brandr mused before leaning back against his post.

Valdr would move to the railing and look down, his gaze resting on Esme, as she watched the sun. After a few seconds, he would descend the steps and come up behind her, one hand resting on each of her shoulders as he leaned down to kiss her cheek. "Good morning, my Queen." He would start as he pulled a chair up beside her and took a seat.

• Aww