Open Chronicles Diamond In The Rough

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Isabeau

Character Biography
Link
It was very lucky that Isabeau could get such a cheap price for a shop located in a very nice area of Alliria. It had great bones but needed some work, which Isabeau had hired some help for the door's that nearly seemed to come off, as well as, holes in which mice had taken refuge. Isabeau was thankful for the help, and it wasn't that expensive to get this little shop up and running.

It was a fitting name for her shop The Diamond in the Rough, after all not everything was what it was in this life. It had become a neat little treasure with Issy's help. It was a two store shop, with a nice open space front room filled with shelves of neat little ointments, solves, liquids upon shelves, a counter to help customers, behind the counter a wooden door opens into a large backroom for storing stock and making of herbal remedies.

In the back outside a small chunk of earth that hadn't been created into a bit of road, was now a small garden with a fence around it. The second floor of the store was Issy's home and stairs led up from the back garden into her apartment above. It was always locked, after all one must be careful.

The expression of satisfaction appeared on Isabeau's face, as she gently handed over a bottle of liquid to a customer.

"Yes, it will help with your insomnia, just make sure two teaspoons thirty minutes before you go to bed." Replied Isa her accent was thick enough to be understood. The woman who looked more like she had through a war then not able to sleep due to her husbands snoring appeared relieved paying Isabeau the money she hurried out of the shop. Isabeau's Equine friend Gabby was still at her side making sure her owner was alright, a snort or shake of her head, let Issy know Gabby was still beside her.

The word of the new shop was all that some could talk about in some places of the city , it was very new with interesting knew herb's and things to help those in need, but it also had unique items that was very rare to find in some places, Also the shop keeper was not only a blind woman, but she had a small miniature horse as a pet, it was very unusual but not to uncommon perhaps.

Isabeau continued to work all through the morning and into the evening, counting her steps from register to the selves of solves and back, she would keep track so that she knew exactly where everything was and what needed to be restocked. She hoped that this was going to the beginning of a wonderful life for her and her little companion Gabby.

It was getting close to the end of the day, customers slowly trickled in, from all over, wanting this and that, the occasional questions about the pony and why she was even allowed inside. Isabeau like the patient and understanding person she was, gave answers that confused them and made them smile at the same time. It was a gift, it truly was.

Isabeau moved toward a shelf that had an ointment that the customer wanted, Gabby nudging Isabeau's leg as she went, to help keep her owner on the right path. She'd finally get there as she began to lean up, the customer a woman who sounded older then she may have been began to gossip.

"I am so glad you make such an ointment, my poor Henry would miserable for months, with such a sore on his foot. I mean, I keep telling him, that he needs to stop worrying, that these shops aren't capable of casting curses on people." A crackle of laughter as she continued.

"I mean one, your blind not like you can see him anyway, and two well, your just not that type of healer," She laughed, Isabeau didn't know if she was trying to be rude or not, but this woman was very good at it.

"Ah, here it is, Mrs. Gabbal . . .Is there anything else I can get for you?" Isabeau interrupted purposely, the woman's mouth would close and a smile would appear as she shook her head.

"No, no that will do it Miss Isabeau. . . Here's your coin." She stated placing the money in Isabeau's hand. Isabeau handed her the item and nodded with thanks.

"Thank you again Mrs. Gabbal have a wonderful evening." She listened as the woman guess nodded and scuffled away. A deep breath was released as she prepared for the next customer.

Willis never heard of the Diamond in the Rough before. The young man spent most of his childhood wondering the streets of Alliria and has never seen the place. It's most likely new, Alliria is usually picky in which new shop begins to open they want the right kind of people selling items and don't want to risk the wrath of the criminal organizations. All Willis cared about was if it sold potions and the new shop did.

It will be the last time Willis will take on a contract taking Bugbears who were harassing villagers in the Gold Road. What the village elder did NOT tell was that they were being lead by a Hobgoblin Captain. Hobgoblins were infamous for not only being taller than their subspecies Goblin but more intelligent as well. It was a fight that nearly killed Willis and he was underpaid to show for it! "Fucking villagers," he grumbled entering the shop. He needed healing potions for his wounds thankfully they weren't too bad.

"I need some health potions," Willis said slamming some gold coins down. He didn't bother to look at the store owner while he did so. He was too exaushted.

• Yay
Reactions: Ava Gilleth
A blink, then another as her brow wrinkled in a cute but curious manner, that voice was something very familiar to her. She began to place the voice of the customer, going through ever nook and cranny of her mind when her expression changed into a comical one.

You've got to love fate right? It was helpful that she kept all her healing potions behind her counter as she turned and grabbed a few and then turned back placing them before the gentleman.

"Well, you didn't have to hurt yourself just to find me, I mean I'm nothing special." A playful sarcastic reply floated toward him. He knew exactly who's shop he had walked into now. Gabby only snorted annoyingly as she moved behind Isabeau, Gabby wasn't fully over the event's that took place, some time ago.

"Every good cause is worth some inefficiency."
-Paul Samuelson

This was not working.
Was the only thing a certain bald individual could think of, as he peered into a small bag dangling off of his makeshift belt. Whatever it was, it seemed important to him...at the moment. The shouting from further along the streets seemed to nab the bald head's attention, as he scrambled to tie up the bag and secure it. Apparently a couple of guards were rushing in his direction, seemingly on the look out for somthing...or someone.

Maybe there was a correlation, maybe there wasn't, the only thing the bald individual could think of was how persistent those sons of guns were. Without wasting a beat, baldy ducked into a nearby ally, quickly making his way down to the next street. But as he exited the ally, he would catch a glimpse of another group of guards looking around at the end of the street. This was not exactly ideal for him, as he slipped into the crowed, taking care to keep his head low. Baldy would eventually reach the other side of the street, ducking into another ally and rushing to put distance between him and the guards.

Sure, it might have not been somthing he had thought through, an impulse decision right there on the spot, but...there was a good reason? Least they weren't able to ID him on the spot...they just had a description of what he looked like from the back...which made running away from them all the more harder.

That said, the bald one needed a place to hunker down, at least for a bit. So when he spotted another patrol, baldy quickly ducked into the first open door he saw.

Which leads us to the interesting matter of a bald man clad in black standing at the entrance looking rather dazed. Did I mention he had two meat cleavers at his side?

Regardless, the man quickly regained his composure, as he hurried into the establishment. The women at the counter seemed to be busy with some fellow...so at least they were occupied...as the bald one made his way to a corner of the room, closest to the counter, and began "browsing" the wares...his breathing heavy and eyes looking towards the door ever so often....​

The sound of the bell chimed letting Issy know another customer entered. She wondered if Willis had been thrown off by the shock of seeing her again or maybe it was her comment. She wondered perhaps if maybe the little adventure some years before had gotten him distracted in a painful thought.

She would leave him to her thoughts as she moved around the counter, Gabby her equine companion stomped the hard flooring with her hooves, letting those know she was around as she helped guide the blind woman to the fellow.

She was very graceful for someone with a disability then again, she was used to it and well it did help that her other senses were slightly heightened. She could hear the fellow’s breathing as she calmly approached the fellow.

“Excuse me.” The woman’s voice was honey and yet there was a hint of an accent that was odd.

“Is there something I can help you with?”

The way Issy looked at him, wasn’t really at him, those painfully bright blue eyes would look slightly toward the side, it was a small gesture that some may pick up that she was indeed blind, Not many did, and so when they found out, it was always them being embarrassed and so on.

• Yay
The voice made him jitter more then it did comfort, unintentionally glaring at her with a "What do you want"(also known as "the hell do you want") look. It seemed that the bald man had been to concentrated on the window to have realized that the women behind the counter had approached him...with her...pony?

Any other time, and he might have asked what all this was about, or maybe even notice her eyes...but this was certainly not one of those times.

Judging by where his eyes were looking, one could tell Mr. Baldy was distracted even from the get go. Specifically, a group of soldiers had gathered out in front of the shop. They hadn't noticed our black clad individual yet, they weren't even looking into the shop. But seemed that they were making inquires....

"I-uh, I was just, um...looking for..." His eyes were jumping around as his mind raced, he needed an excuse to get out of view. Then it hit him.

"Ah! Found it!" He almost proclaimed, reaching over haphazardly to his side to grab some odd item off the shelf. But as he was grabbing said item, his hand accidentally slipped, causing a number of things to come tumbling off the shelf. "Oh! Oh I'm so sorry!...Clumsy me!....Here, here, let me help you pick that up..."

Convincing stuff, but it was enough for him to bend down and duck out of view, as he began picking up the stuff that he had clumsily knocked down. Just in time, too, as one of the guards idly looked over to the shop....​

Issy’s made no reaction to his look, and it was a good thing, as she would have turned around and head back to the counter, no she just arched her brow, as the man seemed to be nervous, it didn’t take a professional to know this also the smell he was giving off, was an obvious tell, tell sign.

She nodded and then crash, smash and thump when vials, ointments and things that were on the shelves. She quickly knelt out of reaction.

“No, no it’s alright, careful don’t cut yourself, let me.” She said softly as she went to help him, clean the mess up.

Her soft hand would slowly pick up pieces and feel, being very careful not to cut herself.

“Are you alright?” She replied and quickly moved to take his hand, if he touched her hand, it would feel unworldly soft, especially for an herbalist but then again, it made sense, she had access to a lot of interesting ointments.

• Yay
Seeing nothing of too much interest in the shop other then a couple of people, the guard shrugged, before following her patrol forward down the road...

Meanwhile, back in the shop, the bald headed man let out a sigh or relief escaped his lips when he saw the guards moving on. He'd at least be safe for the time being. Finally, he would turn his attention back to the broken pieces. Sure, he felt bad for breaking it, but it brought him sometime...and you knew the saying...you break it, you buy it. The bald man had no issues for paying for the merchandise he broke...whatever it is.

"No! Allow me..." The bald man might have said more, had she not taken his hand all of a sudden. The man was wearing fingerless gloves, so he didn't feel her touch immediately. But as she grabbed him, he instinctively grasp onto her hand. This was a rather...pleasant feeling...a touch he hadn't felt in...

The bald man quickly blinked his way out of the daze, finding himself starring at the broken glass. Shaking his head, he began to rise.

"Please, I broke it, let me clean it up...it's the least I can do..." The man insisted, as he stood up, trying to get her to stand up as well. "...do you have a broom somewhere that I can use? Something to sweep up the pieces?"

• Sip
Reactions: Isabeau
Isabeau, began to slowly analyse the fellow and though he didn't give off anything negative feelings she felt as if he was not well.

She arched a brow as he spoke so quickly about helping her, that he was hiding something, then again it would be mean of her to deny him this, and so she just gestured in the direction of where the closet was.

"Yes, its over in the closet." Once again she showed no sign of judging him, her manner was nothing more then sympathetic to him and welcoming warmth.

"Are you alright though?" The concern written on her face was obvious.

"Ah, good..." The bald headed stranger nodded, making his way over to the closet. Yanking open the door, he'd peer inside of the confined space, examining the area for the object he had in mind. Eventually, the man would find a broom, and a dust pan to go along with it. Hurrying back over to where Isabeau stood, he'd place the dust pan on the floor, before he began to sweep up.

It was frankly a bit relaxing to slow down and clean up for once. For him, life these days meant braving the danger of the roads, with the occasional foray into the so-called civilized areas. Mundane tasks such as sweeping up had been lost on him...least, it reminded him of somthing that seemed to be a life time ago.

"Oh me?..." The bald headed stranger paused, before smirking a little and continued to sweep up. "...people have cut me deeper then this...a little glass is really nothing in comparison..."

It took a few moments, but finally the stranger had swept up the broken bits and dispose of them. After placing the broom and dust pan back into the closet, the bald man would approach Isabeau once more. Unlike other shopkeeps he'd had a run in, this one was kinder then most...

"Again, sorry for the trouble...guess I'm just a bit clumsy these days...how much do I owe you? For the trouble and all?"

• Yay
Reactions: ZafiraJade
The way the fellow acted made her lips curl into a small smile, though he probably had his troubles, he seemed like a good person and so she treated him as such.

She adjusted her stance and simply gestured with her hand.

“Thank you, I understand.” She’d gesture with her hand.

“Nothing, your help was all the payment needed, thank you again.” The thought came to mind as she decided to ask.

“I’m sorry if this being a bit bold, but do you happen to need of a job?” He seemed lost in more way then one, but she could never know how lost he really was, just the way he acted. She wasn’t a fool, but she knew that there was reward when one listened to their instincts.

The sudden question seemed rather abrupt to him. A job? That came out of left field. Might have given the more cynical minded somthing to be suspicious about, given what had just happened. Still, she had been nothing but kind and sweet to him, despite his on purpose bumbling. Only fair to at least hear her out about it.

"A job? Uh, of course!... But, er, since I did break some of your stuff...why don't we just say this one's on the house...it's only fair afterall..." Probably would have been better if he lead with what she wanted, but the bald man may have been a tinsy bit flustered with his act to remember that little detail. "So...what will it be? Just name it, and I'll make it happen."

Probably also would have been better not to make such grandiose statements, lest eat his words a secound latter...

"Done." It was really what she had already stayed, perhaps he had miss understood her. It wasn't really something to be concerned with, the matter was, she was giving this fellow a chance.

She thought a moment as she touched her first finger to her chin.

"Well, its not hard really, just take care of helping customers, restock shelves, sweep, whatever you feel that this place needs." She thought a bit more.

"Also, if you need a place to stay, in the back room, there are stairs that lead up into a sort of apartment, you may stay there if you are in need."

"I...might take you up on that offer..." With the guards out looking for a man of his description, he better lay low until the heat blew over. Besides, he really did feel as if he owed this kind lady the effort and time, at least for breaking her stuff...be a nice change of pace actually...been so long since he did a job that didn't require violence to fix.

"Just point me to what you need done!" The bald man would clap his hands together in a manner that almost said thank you. The man had a grin on his face, a determined yet eager expression. His tone was rather gleeful for the circumstance. "...You got yourself a deal, just point me at what you need done, Miss...er..."

“Isabeau, a pleasure to meet you, and whatever you feel the place needs.” A gesture that was easily read as pointing out the room around them.

Issy, wouldn’t ask for his name, there were reasons, she was smarter than most would think and very intuitive.

“I’ll go and get that key for you and would you like something to eat or drink?” The bake goods she had made for her lunch was in the back and well, good thing she decided to make enough for a few more people, then just her.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Su Jun Seo
"The pleasure's all mind..." The man gave her a slight bow, before looking back at her with a rather embarrassed grin. "...I'm good...for now at least...I'll just...find a way to make myself useful while you do that."

A normal life, eh?

Truly was a lifetime away, as the baldman began looking about the store for somthing to do. It was certainly a challenge in of itself, trying to figure out what to do in such a pristine shop. Eventually he decided it be good to do some minor dusting, mostly in harder to reach places. He was surprisingly nimble, which meant he'd be able to dust the top shelves easier, even if it meant his feet weren't necessarily touching the ground.

Ah, how it felt to slow things down for a change...

• Sip
She nodded her head and with a smile she headed into the back, as the time spun itself along, people would come and go in the front of the shop, some would peek in the window and then go, a child or two would press their nose against the glass window and then get pulled away by a parent, be a mother or father.

The place was well stocked and seemed in order but there was a shelve full of living plants that could use some water and some adjusting with soil, but other then that it was easy. After a moment, Issy was back with not only the keys but a tray of food, the aroma floated its way to the bald mans nose, it was coming from the slices of apple pie that was on the plate, with homemade sweet whipping cream beside to dip.

There was also a plate of meats, cheeses, fruits, veggies and of course a loaf of bread that had been sliced. She also had some warm tea to be poured in the cups on this tray.

“I thought I’d bring some food just in case, a little break for you.” A smile again as she moved toward where she heard him, then stopped.

• Popcorn
While for most people, the sound of people coming back and forth in the shop would have been an everyday occurrence, perhaps the bald man sat a bit more on edge. Every new person that entered the building, he had to duck down in an attempt to avert their gaze, careful as in to check for their identity. When the kids peaked in, he was dusting on the highest shelf and almost fell off the from the wall. Cheeky buggers thought it was funny, too.

Perhaps things around here were becoming a bit too much like home...

Meanwhile, the wonderful smell never escaped thoughts, as the rogue quietly wondered what kind of store the lady ran. From what he observed, it contained all sorts of items, but it was hard to say more, other then some form of "general store".

When she did come out, the baldman was helping another old lady reach for somthing. Turning his head after the granny was satisfied, he tucked the rag into his makeshift belt and slide over.

"Thank you kindly...but allow me..." Gracefully, he lifted the tray out of her hand. For a man whom appeared rather gruff, the motions he made were far from similar. Regardless, he took the tray and made his way a short ways to the counter, the noise made when he set the tray down could be easily.

Grabbing a piece of meat, he haphazardly popped it into his mouth. Not bad, certainly better then some meats he's tasted. "...you are truly too kind...thank you, ma'am..."

“Oh, thank you.” Replied as she followed him to an area where he could take a break.

“Call me Isabeau.” A wave of her hand as she gently began to pour both a mug of delicious tea.

“You are most welcome, but it is the least I can do, not a lot of people would want to work in an apothecary.” A bright smile once more graced her lips as she reached out and handed him his mug.

“Careful its hot.” Tilting her head to the side her long black hair fell against her cheek.

“Do you like nature?” It was apparent she was quite capable of taking care of herself but there was something different about this woman.

• Popcorn
"Funnily, yes...thank you..." The bald man nodded, as he gingerly grabbing the cup from her hands. He was glad he had a layer of cloth wrapped around his hand, or it probably would have been as hot as she mentioned. Taking a moment to blow into his tea in an effort to cool it, the man took a sip.

Tea on this continent tasted quite different then what he was normally used to, didn't mean that he wasn't grateful to drink somthing nice and warm. Although...admitably, there was someone else he knew that would have probably liked it even more then he...

"...used to live surrounded by forests...well, actually, still kinda do that now..." The man said, as he lowered his cup, looking up thoughtfully. "...I travel quite often, even to places without roads... so I've seen much...quite fascinating really, how the landscape changes within a few hours..."

The man seemed to be starring into space for a moment, as he swirled the tea in his hands, before taking another sip. Afterwards, his eyes fell back upon Isabeau, a rather curious expression on his face. "What about you...spend much time out of the city?"

• Sip
Issy, listened patiently as the fellow talk about where he had come from, and in his tone she was seeing a different picture in her mind.

Silently sipping her tea and a nod was given here and there, letting him know she was listening, to him and she was, but she felt there was more to him then he let her see.

"Yes, actually. . . Business does at times take me to other cities, villages and other places, as do friends and family." She stated again sipping the warm amber liquid.

• Popcorn
"Ah, I see...typical reason, isn't it?" The baldman chuckled, nodding in the process. It was a different story back home, most of the people that had been close to him were concentrated in his village...he thought, looking down at his tea with a smile...with the occasional trip into the city to sell off their goods.

Well, that was a life time ago...he took another sip of his tea, closing his eyes to enjoy it's taste.

Times have certainly gone by and much of his surroundings had changed. He wondered how much he had changed over the years, it had been a long time since he really had a chance to look at himself...

"Hm...where have you traveled?" The baldman asked, as he leaned against the counter, tilting his head in curiosity. "You must have quite the family lineage if you they are near and far."

• Yay
Another smile and nodded as she too chuckled.

"Yes, it seems so." Once more the middle of her forehead wrinkled in thought and then she shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, I've been to the City of Ragash and also, Elbion and places in between, I'm originally from Vel Anir." A pause then she continued.

"You'd think that, more like those I considered family and friends, I'm an orphan really."The woman before him seemed neither clouded by this fact, it was as if she embraced it. She continued to be calm and pleasant as she spoke these saddened words that many would have a hard time admitting.

"More tea?" She asked, picking up the kettle with her hand.

• Popcorn
"Ah, I see, Vel Anir..." The bald man nodded, taking another sip out of his mug. Vel Anir was one of the few places on this continent the bald man had yet to travel to. The rogue had heard much coming out of the city, and rarely was there anything positive...especially from those whom were not human...which really kept the man away from the city.

Would remind him too much of home.

"I see...well, it is impressive what you have been able to build up for yourself..." The bald man brought his cup of tea back down, noticing the women's hand on the kettle. He smiled, before bringing forth his mug. "...ah yes, if you wouldn't mind...thank you."

He wondered what went through her mind as she traveled...it was a common curiosity that he had for other fellow travelers...

"Every sought to live elsewhere?"

• Popcorn