Open Chronicles Celebration of Winter (Noct Yaegirs)

A roleplay open for anyone to join
He couldn't have children. The accusation that Larka was his child was far less offensive than the one that came from Garrod.

Being soft as a mentor was a relative term. Larka was still alive, just. That was good mentoring as far as he was concerned.

Gannis laughed at Briar's comment and Larka's response, but the Caretaker came forward to give a talk.

Gannis slapped the table and lifted his mug high.

They would go back to the home of the Venari soon, but for now Gannis was enjoying a wider range of companions. This place also smelled less of wet dog than their own retreat.

Briar Larka Kaige Severos Rainer

Yeah, well none of us are ever a fan of it, are we, Rainer?” She took another large sip to finish off her drink with no reaction on her face.

Rain felt like he might have had a witty retort for that, given his typical experience with hunters. While most would have said they didn't want to die, he couldn't escape the idea that many seemed to have a death wish. Racing into dangerous circumstances for less coin than what most mages made in a day, serving their masters from the pillows on high, didn't seem like the habits of someone who wanted to live long and prosper. "Yeah, maybe..." He smiled as he took another drink, content to quietly refuse a debate on the topic.

The whiskey had gotten to him. Or maybe it was the nature of the blood, interacting with his strain of vampirism, that was leaving him feeling a bit more wobbly and aggressive than normal. He was starting to get the impression that feats of strength and contests would make for good sport among the group.

Gannis slapped the table and lifted his mug high.

Rain lifted his cup and took and drink before turning his attention to the rest of the group. By all accounts, it was a decent lot and not much to speak of for ego. At least, not as much as one might expect.

Good to see the ancients are as amicable as ever, he added, and nodded to the grizzled old hunters.

And as soon as the drink hit him, that comment caught up with him. He almost spit up a bit of his drink. "Hold on now, don't lump me with this haggard lot." He flung an accusatory thumb at Gannis. "He's at least twice my age." That was probably a lie, though he wasn't actually too sure on his age. He just knew that the night in the Shallows had felt like an eternity ago.

Raisanu almost felt sorry for the grounded folks who had to trek up winding mountain trails to reach this old castle. It was something she rarely thought of, as she often worked by herself and rarely had to take others’ flightlessness into consideration. As she watched from her perch, though, she wondered how many found the hike grueling. Slouched upon the parapet, she watched like a gargoyle as other hunters passed through the gates, bringing mounts and hunting companions in tow. Her ears swiveled, then perked as she watched a huge furry dog charge out with a bone in tow. She couldn’t help but chirp in amusement.

At some point, she had to take part in the festivities, though. She just wanted to gather some information first, as it were, before making any moves. Like with a hunt, she needed to know what she was getting into. Well, what she did notice was that there were an awful lot of dogs. Raisanu peered down and noticed one orc and his own canine companion seeming to hang back from the rest. It seemed as good an opportunity as any to start mingling, so she hopped off her perch and flapped her wings to slow her fall before hitting the stone with a thud.

The griffari made a beeline for Sardok and Sigrith, waving one scaly, clawed hand in greeting. Leather armor flattened the feathers on her torso and obscured some of the scars on her feline half, and a comically short spear swung lightly on her belt with every stride. Her green eyes lit up, unfazed by the hulking wolf that could likely maul half the attendees with ease if it had the opportunity.

“Hi there.” She didn’t really have a way with words, but it wasn’t like she needed to. “Good to meet you. Looks like a lot of people here got hunting dogs and… wolves. Feels like I’m missing out on somethin’ here. Where’d you get yours?” She pointed at the black and white direwolf. “Knowing how much harder it is to tame a wolf, that’s pretty impressive. Did you get it as a pup?”

Sol sat down beside them, and Garrod nod the man welcome. Scoot over some to give him a little more room. Wasn't like the tables weren't big enough.

The one eyed hunter grinned as Rainer tried to cast off his jest. "Point of pride I'd think," Garrod's lips crooked up at one corner. "Not half of us make it as long as either of you have," he gestured to them lazily with his mug, looked to Briar, then Larka. "Nor half as long as I have, for that matter," he looked down at his drink with a wistful smirk. "Spose it makes the bloody drink taste all the better don't it," he clacked his cup on the table, feeling a certain kind of way. "This ones for the fallen!" he thought of his own mentor, old bastard who had practically raised him, lifted his cup and took back a drink. Drained it down, and let his breath out with a rush, and a small burp.

Garrod wiped away his drink, feeling the wobble some. He let go of his tankard, and slipped his hand down by his boot, pulled out a fat bladed knife and thunked it into the table with a wild toothed grin. "Anyone take me up for a game of handles?" he said with some sweet venom to his voice as he eyed each of them gathered round and let go of his horn handled blade. "Throwing knives, for the uninitiated," he jerked his head back to a wall near where arms and armor were kept. A makeshift range had been set up, and a few hunters lobbed knives, some axes. A couple even seemed to be throwing darts. "Winner keeps the handle of the other's knife,"

The journey was long, but it proved to be a pleasant one.

Sardok and his companion Sigrith traversed the Fringelands in search of answers. The wilderness very rarely provided direction, but they were fortunate enough to find some inkling within the realm of man. While gathering supplies for the next leg of their journey, the Orc saw the notice regarding the Noct Yaegir's feast.

And while social gatherings were not his typical cup of tea, food was. It had been too long since he had indulged in a tankard of something sweet or tasted meat that he had not personally hunted down. Beyond this, there was a chance that this gathering would have some clue about what Darkstride sought.

Thus, they arrived at the homestead and the direwolf made a simple demand. Sardok had to cover his mouth to hide the grin which exploded across his face.

"Should I tell them that it's the other way around?"

As she huffed, he chuckled and strode after his companion, intent on finding the first plate of something scrumptious. What he found, however, was a griffari who quickly approached. Sardok waved hiw own swordhand, returning the gesture of greeting. Yet when she spoke, Sardok's hand flew to his mouth once more. It took all his willpower to mask his smirk as a slight cough before he answered.

"Well met!" he began, before motioning to his Direwolf comrade. "Unlike most, this one is no pet of mine. She and I are traveling companions." He then placed his hand upon his chest. "My name is Sardok. What are you called?"

Last edited:
Sol took a drink of his own as he piped up his own response to the conversation of how long others have lasted in the business. Sure, he wasn't going to tell them his real age for obvious reasons, but he could still say other things.

"Could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure everyone here has me beat. I've only been in the business for a few years now."

He lets out a small laugh before downing the rest of his own drink for the toast, though anyone he could think of to toast for his own reasons had no name or face in his memory.

His eyebrow went up as he saw the blade stick into the table, finally feeling a real buzz for the first time as he set his tankard down. This moment made it a little obvious for him how out of place he felt without any physical weapons.

"I'd join, but I've no knife of my own on me."

Garrod Arlette

• Wonder
Reactions: Garrod Arlette