Open Chronicles Campfire Cooking

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Elis Chares

Character Biography
Link
In the wild plains of Allir Reach...

Stars shone brightly that night and the breeze was gentle, barely enough to push the grass of the massive plains. The land outstretched before him without a sign or even hint of civilization, emphasizing how far he was from his village. Elis added another log to the campfire as he began unpacking a few ingredients. As he travelled, he'd been careful to gather mushrooms, herbs, and a did a bit of hunting. He pulled out a medium-sized light pot with two wooden bowls stuck inside from his pack along with a large canteen of water. After removing the bowls he poured the water into the pot and set it over the campfire.

While the water boiled, he focused on cutting up some of the mushrooms he'd found earlier after giving them a good wash. His hunting from an hour ago had given him a fat rabbit, perfect for cooking. Soon the water was boiling and he was able to dump in the ingredients to make a nice stew. Elis included roots, wild potatoes, and some other herbs he'd found. The delicious scent of his creation lingered in the air as he continued stirring. Suddenly, he heard something in the distance. There wasn't enough lighting to see exactly what was making the noise but he could tell there was something.

"I swear if I die cause of this errand..." He muttered to himself.

The man stuck a torch under the campfire, lighting it then took a look around. He'd been expecting a critter or some other animal. Usually predators didn't go near campfires or humans unless they could help it. Once in a while they would draw near if they were curious. Elis unfortunately had forgotten that people were a thing and neglected to add this to his assumptions.

"Now if you're gonna come near this fire then we need to come to an understandin." Elis said to the dark, "If you don't bite me then I won't bite you."

He had a dagger in his bag and a few traps and anti-predator sprays his grandma made but he wasn't keen on testing them.

Blades of grass crinkled loudly as leather-bound feet muddled through. A weariness present in the gait of the wanderer dragged heavy steps along. A momentary shifting of fabric occurred as the man adjusted his traveler's pack, fixing the straps to lay firmer on his shoulders. A deep groan sounded as the shift reignited pain, a flickering spasm running through his back. The journey to the city limits would be a long one, four days at least. He longed to return an Allirian inn and collapse on their soft bedding. For now, the trek back brought him through the wilds of the Reach. Allir's rolling plains and sloping hillsides were a pleasant sort, a serene panorama of calm. He enjoyed its disposition very much, and when he traveled to his former destination it brought about peace.

In peace came reflection, and those matters remained close at hand. Matters involving his origins, questions regarding his upbringing, and the lingering frustration of lacking answers. His adopted parents admitted their ignorance of these things, only igniting his desire to dig deeper. It created and supported his cautionary behavior, refusing to divulge the first willing ear. Delicate things of that nature required greater trust and loyalty. He would sort that out himself, if and when the time came.

At the break of a lolling hill, golden eyes immediately recognized the faint glow of firelight. Others, out in these wilds at this time? Perhaps they were also traveling a great distance, and settled in for the night. The wanderer stood a moment, debating if he should risk approach. There was a chance of encountering roguish or hostile individuals. He was already at disadvantage, put out with the worn wrappings of shoddy first aid. Yet he also had to decide what he could tolerate. How long could he go on before a campfire called his name? He would expend priceless energy to assemble the entire thing, energy already draining with his injuries. The faint glow enticed him with risky promises.

The noise Elis Chares heard -the snapping of twigs and the adjustment of hanging branches- would be caused by this warrior. Firelight soon exuded deep and hearty smells of grub, and the wanderer's nose lit red to better soak in the aromatics. How that familiar and comforting aroma swelled a laboring chest, bringing a calming breath to the weary soul. Following the moment the warrior's nose reddened, the blood vessels blackened and faded back to normalcy: the visual indicator of a man igniting his power. His scent would resume normal function by the time he approached the torch-wielding farmhand.

Many would call his sort a Sensate, one whom tapped into the hidden treasures of the world by intentionally heightening smell, taste, touch, sight, or hearing. Never all at once, and the price for enhancing one sense would be experiencing the same length of time with its absence. Heightened sight would render the user blind, smells and taste would cease to register, hearing would produce deafness, and touch numbed the nerves. All would gradually fade back to normalcy, as if some external disruption invited the slow crawl back. For the fellow approached by the Sensate, he'd likely not recognize these things.

The farmer's words sounded over the rumbling fire. The wanderer paused, shrouded by shadow as he observed the dark-skinned fellow. This man, too, was of long and heavy labors, evident in his bulky physique and his imposing figure. Yet the silent warrior recognized a juxtaposition, one he could not explain in words. The man was within his rights to act defensively, and realized the wilds were not the safest of places to be. The Sensate indulged this reaction, picking up his steps once more and walking closer. When he emerged from the dark and became illuminated by the firelight, he held up his hands in surrendering fashion. He was not here to create strife.

"Perhaps you have a seat to spare at the fireside?" asked the weary warrior.

His eyes widened with surprise at the sight of the warrior as he had been expecting a wolf or something else, not a person. The wilds were far from any civilization or even a village. People usually didn't travel out by themselves due to the danger of the wilds. Only those who were truly skilled or truly idiotic would travel on their own. Embarrassment churned in his gut as he remembered his earlier words, wondering how odd he sounded.

"Oh uh sure. Sorry, thought you were a..." His voice dropped off, "Um... want some food?"

Before the stranger could even reply, Elis had already brought out the spare bowl and was filling it with the hearty stew. The bowl was made of wood and had a small wooden spoon with a simple appearance. Elis handed him the stew then began filling his own bowl. He took his seat across from the stranger and began eating, uncertain on how to start a proper conversation. After a few moments, he decided to speak.

"Where are you headed? If you don't mind my askin." Elis questioned.

He quietly listened to the stranger as he continued eating. The fire was warm and having some company wasn't bad. He observed the stranger's sword, indicating they were some sort of fighter. Perhaps an adventurer? Or maybe a soldier?

• Yay
Reactions: Ipatiy Kozlov
While not from Allir personally it's central location on the continent, connecting the east and west together made it one of the most prolific trading areas. As such Ipatiy often made trips their, either for business or keep in the loop about current market prices. Such for professional and personal reasons, her method of magic requiring a deep understanding of how trade works, that and her family being merchants and all. As such like usual she found herself wandering through wild lands on way to town one of the rural towns.

For most a lone women dressed in a maid outfit wandering the road by their lonesome would be a strange and foolhardy thing. Bandits to wild beast being a constant worry, but for someone as skilled as herself it was of little issue and if some would be mugger tried to assault her.... well a bit of 'practice' and some extra items to sell never hurt. Still, she was only human and come time the sense of exhaustion began to creep up. Ipatiy taking this at an indication to rest up and be ready to continue in the morning. Though it would seem lady luck was with her today as she saw and soon heard the presence of a fire along with some light chatter, fellow travelers perhaps sitting down for a meal.

The white haired women, not bother to hide her presence pushed her way into the clearing where the two men sat, herself giving a small friendly wave. "I hope I am not intruding on your camping, I'm seeking a place to rest up during my travels and just happened to see your smoke from a distance, would you mind if I joined you"? While speaking her gaze glanced over the two sitting down. One seemed like a regular farmer but the other was quite the interesting fellow by then way they were dressed.

Elis Chares Bezza Kullgar

Last edited:
Before Ipatiy Kozlov arrived, brief exchange between the men had Elis apologizing. He fumbled his words and adjusted himself in a fluster. As the Sensate's arms fell to his sides, a knowing smile developed in his drained features.

"A beast?" the man finished. The silence was damning, and the Sensate shook his head. "A fair assumption, and no harm done."

It seemed the fellow wished to make amends by offering food. The wanderer recalled the scrumptious flavors previously taunting him. He was ready to answer yes, but did not have to say a word. The man took it upon himself to ladle out a bowl's worth. As good an invitation as any. A thick, chopped log sat opposite the fire starter, and the Sensate lumbered over to it to set down his pack. A deep and painful inhale sounded as the straps slipped off his shoulders, wincing and sucking in his core as he carefully let the bag down. Slowly and carefully, he turned back to his host and took the bowl held up to him. A "thank you" exuded from him and he glanced back to search for his seat at the fire. His descent was slow and creaky, filled with muffled grunts and squeaks of pain before a deep sigh slipped through his lips. Once he was comfortable, he steadied the bowl in both hands and brought it close to his face. His breathing deepened and calmed.

"Your generosity is duly noted. I thank you," the Sensate commented. Elis did not respond, and for a while silence amplified the rumbling of the campfire. The traveler did not mind the silence, soaking in the aromas and the moment with the temporary respite. His host, however, did not see it fit to stay that way. Golden eyes slowly opened to acknowledge the man's inquiries.

"I'm headed back to Alliria. Finished a job out in a rural town," the warrior answered. Apparently, the job left him with a couple of scars to take home. Not his ideal way to earn his coin, but it would have to do. Luckily, none of his injuries proved fatal. But there was one particularly irksome wound which taunted his side. One he'd have to spend those valuable wares on treating.

He would not leave his guest high and dry, "What of you, good man? What brings you to the Reach's wild lands?"

Before Elis Chares could answer, a third party approached. Golden eyes snapped towards the stranger, one whom readily revealed themselves instead of lingering in the distance. Her bold demeanor was surprising, but this was not her most striking detail. Her attire suggested servitude, and yet she roamed about freely. The Sensate wasn't sure what to make of her request, curious eyes bouncing back to the dark-skinned man. He would leave the decision up to him.

• Yay
Elis quietly listened to the wanderer's explanation and felt his curiosity grow. Years of working on an orchard left little experience with different kinds of people. Even when guests visited, they would rarely see him since he worked early in the mornings. This was the first time in a long while he had met somebody who wasn't a farmer or some sort of villager. Elis continued eating, choosing not to ask more, worried he might end up prying too much. Luckily, the stranger held up the rest of the conversation by asking him a question.

Before Elis could say a word, another stranger approached the campsite. A young lady wearing a maid's outfit, an odd traveler but he had never been one to judge. He gestured at an empty spot at around the fire and gave her a simple nod. He was about to give her a bowl for some food but remembered that he only had two. Maybe if he ate faster he would be able to wash up his own bowl and let her use it? Hosting without a house was extraordinarily difficult.

"...Sorry, I don't have any more bowls." He admitted in a soft voice.

There was plenty of stew left. Still the best way to handle an awkward situation was to ignore it. He went back to eating... until he remembered that he had been asked a question earlier. His eyes widened with realization and he quickly looked up.

"An errand. For your earlier question. Headin to Fal'Addas to pick up ingredients. There's a parasite eatin at the roots of our orchard." He explained, "Most folk would just go to the city and buy it but it's pretty expensive. My grandfather figured it'd be cheaper to just send me and hire a farm hand while I was away."

As he spoke of the orchard, his expression relaxed and his words flowed naturally. Maybe it was the relaxing sounds of crickets in the distance or the warmth of the flames but he began to act comfortably. There was a small smile on his face as he looked over to the maid who had just joined them.

"What about you? Where are you headed?" He asked before looking over to the adventurer, "And are you planning on taking more jobs?"

Her gaze shifted for the warrior for a moment or two, locking eyes with one another for a bit. It was clear the man probably was suspicious of her. A lone women let alone a maid wanderings in the woods would bring such conniptions. Still Ipatiy for once was telling the truth despite their usual less then reputable vocation, herself soon moving to join the pair. Clearing a bit of space of dust and grass before elegantly reclining down, using her backpack as a pillow of sorts as the farmer offered her some stew, despite the lack of an extra bowl.

"It is of no worries, I wouldn't be much of a maid if I didn't carry my own catering supplies". She replied, opening said backpack and fishing out her own bowl and spoon. Reaching over to the crackling fire and cooking to dish out a serving of the stew while the duo continued to talk, funnily enough about farming. "A parasite hu, certainly nasty little things, I'm not much of a farmer but have a decent experience with gardening so I understand the frustration with those sort of issues.

Herself taking a spoonful of the soup and drinking, it's somewhat wild but tasty texture soothing her building hunger while said farmer posed a question to the other man. A question she was also interested in knowing. Was he a mercenary? Hunter?

Elis Chares Bezza Kullgar

Last edited:
Ipatiy Kozlov was not perturbed by the stares. It seemed this was familiar to her. The wanderer's gaze quickly cast down to the bowl held beneath his head, warm steam percolating his skin and easing him up. The fire aided in relaxing his poise, one retained despite aches and pains. Well trained in his own right, it seemed, and his golden gaze briefly glanced to watch her elegant descent to her newfound seat. In the dirt and grass. She was comfortable, but the sight began to eat at him. He silently shifted focus to Elis Chares as he apologized for lacking dinnerware. He wasn't expecting company, it was no fault of his to think in such measures.

Golden eyes traveled back to Ipatiy, remaining unbothered by such notions. She retrieved her pack and uncovered her own dinnerware. So she was experienced in such ways as well. A trickling of guilt seeped into the Sensate's consciousness. Her comments on the parasitic inconvenience were well met. The warrior found himself voicing agreement. But not before answering Elis' curious question.

"Oh, no. Not like this." He shook his head as if physically warding off the notion. "Last job I took on did a number on me. I'd be a fool to take another at my disadvantage. All the same, I hope your travels bring you success. Er-..." he fell short on a name. And then on hers, eyes dancing between them abashedly.

"Gracious. Seems names are in order." He took a quick sip of the hearty stew before introducing himself. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve hurriedly. "Bezza Kullgar, at your service. One of many serving under the banner of the Adventurer's Guild. I figured an explanation warranted for the wrappings.

"And you are?" He spoke to them both at the same time. Yet his eyes landed upon the man first.

Relief and confusion ran through his mind as the maid brought out her own cutlery. She readily admitted to being a maid but carefully avoided his other question. Still they both seemed to be pleasant folks and he was glad that the maid would be able to get a good meal. Taking a stick, Elis poked at the fire and added another log, just to make sure it would keep going. He removed the pot from the fire to prevent the soup from burning as he listened to the warrior's explanation. From the way the warrior spoke, it made Elis worry that he might be injured. But before he could say much about that, the warrior offered up his name and asked for theirs.

"Oh um. Nice to meet you." He said politely, "My name is Elis Chares."

As the maid introduced herself, Elis rummaged through the large backpack he brought with him. It had been packed to the brim with everything a traveler could need. Small stackable cutlery, a rolled up mat for sleeping, stuff to sell at markets, along with a variety of other supplies. Among them was an emergency herb kit. The kit was a small wooden box with flowers carved onto the top. Inside was a variety of herbs, tiny bottles of medicines, and instructions for use. Elis pulled it out but stopped short of offering it. For all he knew, he could be assuming things again.

"Honestly, I thought the wrappings were a fashion choice or somethin." Elis admitted with a smile, "Do either of you want any medicine? Travelling alone is pretty dangerous and it wouldn't be good for anybody to be sick or injured in the wild."

If he had a coin for every time he caught a predator's attention through an injury, he'd have two coins. Which isn't a lot but it was weird it happened twice. He would prefer to avoid a similar situation with his guests, even if they both seemed fairly capable of handling themselves. It also seemed rude to only offer the kit to one party.

Ipatiy let the others introduce their names first, just in case she recognized it from her other 'dealings'. The farmer less so but the bandaged warrior was of slightly more concern. Thankfully both were forthcoming of their names and nothing rang a bell, in fact Bezza Kullgar noting himself as a member of the adventure guild made him less of a potential threat. Iaptiy lowing caution a bit, for the two in front at least, keeping a note on their surroundings, the prospect of wild animals was still mild.

"I suppose it is my turn then". Ipatiy moving to stand up, giving a polite bow to the pair. "Greetings Mr Chares and Mr Kullgar, my name is Ipatiy Kozlov. Technically speaking I am also a merchant outside of my freelance servant duties and am on one of my regular trips through the Allir Reach". She replied, somewhat answering Elis Chares earlier question, having held off until she knew more about the other two. That being said as the notion of trade came into play she became somewhat invested into the conversation.

"I do not require any medicine at the moment, I have my own, but I can assist you in tending to Mr Kullgar wounds should he require". Her gaze once more turning to the wrapped man in question. "Though on a side venture if you are looking to batter I would not mind. What sort of items are you planning to sell"?

• Yay
Reactions: Elis Chares
When Elis Chares introduced himself, Bezza nodded cordially. His attention turned thusly to Ipatiy Kozlov when her turn came, smiling faintly as she rose and bowed in greeting. His ears finely tuned to Elis' rummaging as she straighted, but he ignored it.

"Miss Kozlov, before you sit down-" Bezza couldn't help a squeaking strain as he slowly rose. He put the stew down before inching his way up to fully standing. Once he stood tall, he shifted aside towards Elis and directed a hand towards his former seat. He spoke as he did so, "The dirt is no place for a lady to sit. Please."

The sincerity in his eyes and tone would not take no for an answer. If she obliged, he would meticulously move his items out of her way and shift his seat accordingly. If she staunchly refused, he would not be pleased with the outcome but would comply to her insistence. Regardless if seats changed or remained, the conversation picked up all the same.

Elis commented on Bezza's first aid, chalking up the wrappings to a fashion statement rather than a necessity. A huff of air left the Senate's nose. He wished it were a fashion statement, but unfortunately it was not so. At his offer for the medicine, Bezza assessed his inventory before replying.

"I think I've enough to last the next couple days. But your generosity is not lost on me. You've been most kind."

It would be Ipatiy's reply which caught the warrior off guard. His face blushed and his neck burned as he waved their offers away.

"I appreciate the concern, but I'll be alright. The village people whom tended me did a swell enough job." He couldn't hide his surprise at Miss Kozlov's willing and helpful spirit. He studied her with newfound respect as he took another strong sip of stew. Silence trickled into the fireside once more, and it invited further pondering in the Sensate. He directed his next question to the maid.

"What sort of work do you do, Miss Kozlov? You mentioned merchandise. Are you a shop keep by chance?"

Elis had never expected to meet such interesting people on his little trip to the Allir Stone. His world used to be filled with blacksmiths and bakers and mostly farmers. Even if he didn't know the two well, just meeting them was already expanding his perspective. A merchant maid and a certified adventurer. Bezza Kullgar declined his offer for a medicine kit and Ipatiy Kozlov didn't need it. His careful eyes noticed the blush rising around the adventurer's face and his sudden interest in the maid.

Young love perhaps? His grandmother read stories like these, where two people met in what she called a meet cute. Elis thoughts were interrupted when Ipatiy inquired about his wares. Elis pulled out several items from his bag. Several bundles of large roots with labels tied onto them, herbs native to Allir, mushrooms, seeds, bottles of lotion, a small bag of moth silk, a bag of sugar, and several jars labeled Apple Blossom Honey.

"The roots are all tree roots. It's pretty difficult to get without damaging the trees so the demand's usually high. Magical folk like to use it but I've no idea what for. There's also lotion made from wild roses and honey from our farm. The moth silk is pretty nice but there probably ain't enough to make anything big. Usually just sell those to silk farms to add to their collection." Elis explained.

Almost everything had been made on the orchard or gathered from the plains of Allir. Most of what he was carrying didn't appear to have great value but if it was taken to another town like Fal'Addas, the prices would double. Still, he was a fair man and wouldn't ask a high amount from either Ipatiy or Bezza if they were interested. Where was the fairness in asking for a high price for goods that could be found at any farm in Allir?

Ipatiy raised an eyebrow at Bezza Kullgar and his offer for a new seat. While is certainly wasn't anything she hadn't experienced before it was usually reserved for interactions in the big city, not really a camp fire thing. Still she wasn't going to calcine an invitation for something beneficial, besides, the adventure seemed quite 'determined'. "If you insist I don't see why not".

The maid moving herself and bag over to new area before having continued with the conversation about said mans wounds. Said talk making the bandaged man blush quite noticeably while dismissing the offer. "I haven't even done anything promiscuous yet and you are already blushing, I might be inclined to take advantage of your attraction if that is the case". She stated rather matter of factually before turning back to Elis Chares as he began to display the trading goods discussed earlier.

Her violet gaze shifted through the varying objects, a hand caressing her chin while thinking about their value and personal worth. "The lotion could be of use, might sell well back home if it is a 'one of a kind unique locally produced commodity". "Even if it's not to costly to sell normally the shear scarcity of it back home would provide enough reason to give it a decent mark up". "Might also buy a bottle just for my own personal use". "As for the silk, while not enough as you said for trading, some possible samples given to the right person could lead to some much needed investment". "As for the roots, you best keep hold of them, the distance from here to Elbion is a bit to lengthy for transportation of organic goods".

"So, how much for the silk and lotion"?
The maid getting out her purse, her face showing the first signs of emotion since they sat down as a somewhat eager grin began to form on her lips.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Despite his gentle demeanor, the second the maid started talking business was the second his eyes grew more serious. The maid seemed to be most interested in the lotion and the moth silk. The lotion was a commodity that could be used if it wasn't bought or bartered away to someone else. The silk wasn't enough to make anything with but he was aware of its general value. Collecting this much silk from the moths was difficult and took a lot of time.

"The lotion is five silver coins and the moth silk is ten silver coins." He stated.

Silver coins was a lot cheaper of a coin type than gold. Most countries and people accepted coins from any country. The important part was the material of the coin. If it wasn't real silver, it held no value. His grandfather had been very careful to stress the importance of understanding currency and its true value so few would be able to swindle the orchard.

"And don't worry about the roots. They've been dried and processed to avoid rotting." Elis explained, "Same with the herbs. Can't have them decayin on the way to the cities after all."

The sugar and honey were both long lasting and could be put in a cupboard for a while. The lotions were also long lasting as long as they were kept in the bottle and mixed before use.

"Oh right. If you haven't used the lotions in a while, give them a good mixing. Some of the oils separate over time." He warned.

• Yay
The bandaged warrior seemed to have fallen silent, perhaps put off by her words, not that is was of much matter to Ipatiy, herself more engrossed with trading. A hand on her chin, nodding along with Elis as he explained the prices and other goods in a bit more detail.

"5 silver hu, I suppose I could resell them at 10 silver, I will take 6 bottles if you can spare that many, also thank you for the advice on the oils". Her hand reaching into her purse, getting out some silver, put ultimately, deciding to go with gold coins to make up he differences. "As for the silk is it 10 silver for the lot? Or just for one sample size"? Herself wanting to make sure of the price before purchasing it.

"As for the roots they are not my usual manner of trade, and besides I don't want to clean you out of all your stock right now". That and the honey wasn't of to much interest either, not that she had anything against sweet things it was more that to make a decent profit she'd have to buy in bulk which would be troublesome.

"That being said I do not suppose you are interested in obtaining a traveling partner for the time being". She offered. "Can be dangerous to travel alone out her and I tagging along and seeing your other wares getting sold off, I was traveling to the markets myself".

Elis Chares

• Yay
"Ten silver for the whole lot. Since there's barely enough for a sample size." Elis explained.

He did the mental math before accepting the golden coins, trying to make sure that she wasn't paying too little or too much. The farmer had enough education to read, write, handle money, and handle basic math. He wasn't an expert but it was enough to do proper business. Once he handed the money over, he was careful to give her any change if necessary in silver coins. Then he slipped the coins he earned into a hidden pocket on his satchel, one that was towards the back that would've been impossible to see if you weren't aware of it.

"Don't tell anybody." He said with a small grin.

Then the maid began talking about a traveling partner and offered to tag along on his journey. He carefully thought about the offer for a moment, not wanting to rush into any decisions. Elis understood the dangers of travelling alone and she was clearly experienced in such travels, far more than he was. He didn't have any money to properly pay an escort. Fortunately, it seemed she wasn't asking for any payment.

"Alright. But I'm heading to the Allir stone first so if you're headin to the city, you might be on your own for the tail end of it." Elis explained.

She appeared to be agreeable to the arrangement so he cleared up his wares and got ready for the night. His tent was small, just enough to hold one person and he offered up an extra blanket to anybody who needed it before settling down himself.

The feeling of the sun peaking through his tent woke him up and he left his tent. He began clearing up the campsite but noticed the empty spot of where the warrior had been. Perhaps he left early? The guy did appear to need a good rest and probably wanted to get home as soon as possible. Elis broke down his tent, cleared away the old campfire from last night, and got ready to head out once more. He looked over to the maid to see if she was ready yet.

• Dab
Ipatiy finalized the deal, making sure to pay the respectable amount, best to always leave a good first impression with a new business partner then short change them and have them be wary of you. Herself giving a small knowing nod to the 'hidden compartment' in Elis's bad. "No worries, you are not the only one with hiding places".

Her tone somewhat cryptic while stashing the new wear into her own backpack. Keeping her hands in their to rummage around. Pulling a sleeping bag from it's depths and making room to lay down near the fire. "It is of no worries I travel around for more then just trade, getting a good idea of the distance between settlements is useful for my practition of magic". She stated, getting cozy and settled down for the night, something easily done with the dark night sky and stomach full.

Come morning Ipatiy was up bright and early, brewing a kettle of tea on her own small fire, their other friend seemingly having vanished in the night. The lack of blood probability indicating he had left on his own accord and not fallen prey to an animal looking for a midnight snack. "Morning Elis Chares, did you want a cup or are you ready to head off as is"? She asked, pouring some for herself as she watched the man take down his tent.

Ipatiy Kozlov was kind enough to offer a cup of tea before they head off. He realized he hadn't eating anything for breakfast and decided that a cup would be nice.

"I'll take one. Thank you." He said, gingerly taking a cup.

His hands were gentle as he took the cup, treating it with care as it wasn't really his. He sipped the tea and a surprised smile appeared on his face. The tea was much better than he'd been expecting. Perhaps it was because of her experience as a maid or perhaps it was the tea makers itself. Either way, it was really good for a beverage made while on the road.

"Delicious." Elis commented.

Once he was done, he carefully washed out the cup with some extra water from his pack, dried it, then handed it back to her. He was fast enough but still extremely careful with the item. Then he took out a map and compass with a somewhat confused look on his face then pointed to where the compass was pointing.

"I think we go this way? I'm afraid I've never been good with maps..." He admitted.

• Yay
She poured a cup for Eli’s, carefully handing it over. The hot liquid making a noticeable trail of stream waft from the surface as he drank. It was a mid range herbal blend but Ipaity had made sure to brew it to perfection to extract the flavour fully without burning the leaves. Herself sitting their for a bit waiting for the man to finish, gauging his reaction a bit.

“Of course it is, I pride myself in being skilled. It would be problematic if you did not find my tea delicious”. Ipaity taking the cup back once he was done, packing it away with the rest of her gear and slinging the backpack over her shoulders, ready to continue with the trek.

“I have skill readings map, I can help navigate if we have a rough idea where we are”. Her head peaking over to observe the map. “Best see if we can find any notable land marks to get our bearing first, what direction were you originally travelling in and where is your final destination”?

Elis Chares

• Yay
"Well I know we're here on the top of this small hill. The compass says north is that way and I've been trying to get to the Allir stone, which shows to be north. It's just there isn't a river nearby so I was a little worried." Elis explained as adjusted the map to let her see it better.

The map showed exactly what Elis described with the Allir stone in the north and them being on that small hill. The part that Elis wasn't aware of was the fact that his map was exceptionally old. The river he had been describing used to be much bigger but after a few dry summers had shrunken to a size less visible than it was fifty years ago.

"Did another dragon burn the river?" He asked in a dry sarcastic tone.

The siege was still fresh in his and many others minds. Not even a year had passed since but every village and town was always preparing for some other siege by dragons or orcs. Joking about it was a bit taboo around these parts but unfortunately Elis always had a sense of dark humor.

"Oh. Um sorry not appropriate." He quickly apologized.

• Yay
Ipaity looked over the map, then across the landscape at the mention of the river. “Maps are not always reliable, changing weather, recent rains and the fact the trees around the river have probably grown means things change”.

Herself grasping her own map, itself a bit more up to date considering her usual trips to and from the region, though it was a bit more on a macro scale.

The river in question being a single blue line for her so comparing the two pieces of paper would be a tad harder. “Not sure if any dragons have been around recently but we can assume the river may be running low this time of year, can trek on a bit and see”. The maid suggested.

“Also no need to apologise for such a joke, I’m not from this area so no offence taken”. Besides she had said much worse in more sensitive situations. Would be a tad hypocritical to be offended by Elis comment moments ago.

Elis Chares

Last edited:
  • Yay
"Makes sense. Lets follow your suggestion then and trek on north." Elis decided.

Relieved that she didn't find his joke offensive, he took one last look at what was their campsite to double check for any forgotten items. The camp was clean so he began to set off with his new companion. The scenery around them was a gorgeous display of grasslands and scattered trees. It was early in the morning and the crickets were as loud as ever. Birds swooped down into the grass to pick at the grubs burrowing their way in the earth.

Travelling through the grasslands was a comfortable feeling. His eyes were still alert for any dangers but he enjoyed the warm sun and the sense of freedom that only such endless fields could provide. Eventually they came across a dried out river bank, right where the map said it would be.

"Ah. Guess summers did a numb..." He suddenly shut his mouth.

In the distance he could see a group of horses. Out of instinct, he jumped into the riverbank and ushered the maid to follow. Luckily, the group hadn't seen them yet. There was always the chance that they would be friendly but after last year's raiders, he didn't want to take the chance. The river ditch was dry and gave them just enough cover to avoid being spotted. This was how people like him had to travel. If you weren't rich enough to buy protection or skilled enough to be protection, then there was no other choice than to hide away.

“Sounds like an ideal plan”. Ipatiy putting her map back and following Elis after they had cleared the camp of their belongings, making sure the fire was fully extinguished.

The actual walking was nothing new to her, though it was nice to get a change of scenery everyone and then. The Reach being cooler then her hometown was certainly a somewhat welcome change, even if it was the warm season at the moment.

Of course such change in scenery did mean a change in people as well. The maid spotting the horsemen in the distance the same as Elis. Herself reaching a hand under the long maid skirt pulling out a light crossbow, a bolt already in it’s taught string. Herself sliding into the dry riverbank, ignoring the mans earlier words of what she assumed to be a joke.

”I assume they are not friends of yours”? The maid queried reaching into her skirt again to pull out a spy glass, zooming in on the group up ahead to get a better view. Bandits were not somthing she hadn’t dealt with before but horsemen were always a tad troublesome. On the flip side if they were bandits….. free horses. Assuming the pair could take then down.

Elis Chares

• Yay
"No idea who they are." Elis responded in a hushed tone.

His eyes weren't as good as the maid's spy glass but he did notice how the group of people were traveling. If it was a caravan, their movements would have been quicker. Usually groups of people traveling wanted to get to their destination as fast as possible and only slowed down for breaks or when there was danger around. But this strange group of people moved as though they were looking for something and had their faces covered with scarves or hoods. Elis had seen bandits like that plenty of times during the summer and spring, whenever they decided to raid farms and villages. Either way, Elis wanted to avoid them like the plague.

"If we follow the riverbank we could avoid them entirely." He said.

Though he was a fairly muscular man, he had no combat training. Even if the kindly maid was able to take down the bandits all on her own, the fear of fighting anybody was enough to make him try to avoid it. Elis never was good in a fight and knew he never would by. Why bother fighting? They were obviously stronger.

"If we fight we're gonna lose." Elis insisted, "We'd be better off hiding."

Ipatiy Kozlov

• Dab
Ipatiy while skilled as a fighter wasn't one to take unnecessary risks. Additionally her usual for of fighting wouldn't be as useful in the forest. She mainly relied on stealth, surprise and blending into a crowd as a servant to get the upper hand on the enemy. In this situation not so much.

"That would be for the best, if push comes to shove I could probably magic us some sort of tarp to hide under". She responded in a hushed tone, moving to creep down deeper into the river bed. "Let us just hope they don't have dogs to track our scent nor are decent at following trails". If they were indeed bandits they may have spotted the smoke from their came the other day and had been following the pair.

"Would be nice if that adventure guild fellow was still around".
Who knew, perhaps that is why the man vanished last night, might have gotten an indication enemies were around. "You head up front, if they spot us an attack I'll buy you time". Herself placing a hand on the man's back, pushing him with some surprising amount of a strength one wouldn't expect from a maid to go forwards first.

Elis Chares