Private Tales Brothels and Broken Things

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Cassian knuckled at the pain in his own lower back as he stood from the nursery floor. He'd sanded every last splinter from the intricately carved crib he'd finished building weeks ago and had been fussing over since.

He tried to stay out of Lexi's way whilst she worked, because he'd had a terrible habit of treating her like she might break at any moment and if looks could have killed he'd have been long buried. He ensured that she was watched, however. No doubt she was aware of the young recruits he'd had working for him, reporting on any concerns immediately.

When he wasn't training, he was nesting. Their home was pristine, and Lexi endured all of the warm baths and massages that she could possibly suffer. He cooked, he cleaned, and when he wasn't doing any of those things, he practised his reading.

He sunk into the armchair next to the crib with a huff, the ginger cat quickly occupying his lap as he waited...

--

Toby's gaze narrowed on the commander from his post at the edge of the arena, the youngster making a note to inform Cassian that it was now the fifth time she'd seemed discomforted by back ache.. And that she seemed particularly pissed off today.

• Haha
Reactions: Lexi Quinzell
"No, no, NO!" Lexi stomped - or perhaps waddled was the better word - way into the training ring and both recruits paled and put up their training swords. She snatched one of them off the boy who had apparently been irritating her the most.

"Do you want to die?" she snapped and the boy visibly shrank into his armour like a turtle hoping to hide from the onslaught of the storm.

"N-no Commander."

"Then stop letting your elbow drop, it's making your guard week. Like this," she turned to the other boy who flinched back, fearing that his own neck was about to be on the chopping block. "Attack me." The boy looked like he might be sick.

"But Commander..."

"I said attack me," she growled and the boys eyes slowly drifted to her stomach.

A terrible decision really. Lexi's arm was viper quick and the boy gave a shout as he brought his sword up automatically to defend himself. In three brutal swipes later he was flat on his back panting hard and the students watching gawped.

"Now do you see what I mean by the importance of elbows?" she asked calmly, turning back to the class who nodded vigorously.

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Cassian
He'd sent the dozing cat skidding across the floor when knuckles rapped on the front door and he rushed to answer it. "What? What's wrong?"

The lad looked started, his words stuttering out in a fluster.. "N-nothing, er, she - the Commander, she's fine I, just y-you told me to tell you if she, well if I was worried.."

Cassian was already stepping outside and closing the door behind him, shouldering on a jacket as he strode toward the arena with the youngster quick at his heels telling him about the training, now clearly panicking that he'd wind up facing Lexi's wrath which was far worse.

"It's not like they're gonna have a chance in hells of hurting her, I just thought I should.. Maybe you, should calm down, before you.. She's gonna kill me if it looks like I ratted.."

Cassian snorted in brief amusement at the lad's fear. "Probably. Feel free to run and hide." he grumbled before rounding the corner, his gaze settling on Lexi on the training ground looking particularly pissed off. He hopped the fence and lifted two training swords as he strode by the collection of weapons, his shoulders rolling.

"I can take over here, Commander.." he grunted, his gaze falling to her belly and back to her flustered face with a quiet huff.

• Cthulhoo rage
The gathered cadets shrank back when Cassian appeared. This was not the first time he had appeared in the middle of a training session or - as had happened only a month back - when she had tried to lead a mission to a nearby town. The result was usually an argument that was gossiped about for weeks afterwards. Not today, Lexi thought to herself and took a deep breath through another twinge of pain which of course only fuelled her already heightened irritation at how the session had been going until now. She looked about to unleash that temper on him when suddenly a thought occurred and instead she smiled slyly.

"Yes, you can take over from him," she waved the winded cadet to the benches. In her hand she rolled the wooden sword casually over her wrist and back into her palm. "Why don't you help me demonstrate the importance of position."

• Facepalm
"Wh-- No, that's not what--.." Cassian stammered and huffed as he stopped, his head shaking as he watched her, his jaw tight as he attempted to keep his bubbling rant locked behind his teeth.

"Absolutely f---... not." he answered and turned to return the training swords to the rack.

"Looks like the lads have worked hard enough , how 'bout we call it a day?"

• Cthulhoo rage
"Yes sir!"

"Great idea sir!"

The cadets scampered off in nearly every direction in a hurry to get as far away from the argument as they possibly could. Lexi's jaw clenched and the sword shook in her head for just a second before she let out her frustrated breath and tossed the sword aside.

"I'm fine. Stop looking at me like that!" she stabbed a finger in his direction then glanced around for the little snitch who had gone to tattle on her. "They could barely hit one another let alone me," she muttered as her temper began to cool just a smidge.

Cass let a steadying breath out through his nose as she yelled at him. He'd take it, but his jaw clenched tightly as he allowed silence to fall for a moment, holding back his voice rather than raising it despite the impulse. He took a few slow steps toward her, his words spoken as calmly as he could speak them.

"You're gettin' yourself wound up.. I know it's difficult for you to accept, Lex, but you shouldn't be out here trainin' the recruits and you sure as fuck shouldn't be insistin' that they attack." his brow furrowed.

"That kid you're carryin' is as much mine as she is yours, an' I have as much responsibility in keepin' her safe as you do. I'm hardly tryin' to wrap you in cotton but fuck sake Lex anythin' can happen in trainin' and you know that."

• Dwarf
Lexi gave a huff as much to mask the next wave of pain as it was in response to Cassian's comments.

"They could barely hit a straw mannequin let alone me," she muttered but this time she couldn't keep a hold of his gaze as she said it. Accidents did happen. She was being reckless. Would she ever forgive herself if something happened to their daughter? Growing irritated with her own doubt she tossed the wooden sword to the side and began to waddle off.

"I'm just sick of being pregnant! I can't do anything - I can't even tie my shoelaces!" she huffed.

• Smug
He'd been simmering, but it was difficult to sustain the anger when she waddled off in a huff like that. His lips twisted the moment her back was to him.

"Oh please. There's still plenty you can do." he answered her in a playful tone as he followed after her, ensuring he kept out of arm's reach. "Besides, you waddle so beautifully. Like a beautiful...duck." his throat cleared..

• Cthulhoo rage
Duck?!

Lexi whirled on her heel back towards her fiancée, her cheeks flaring with heat. He was lucky indeed he had not been right behind her for her fist certainly would have dented that beautiful jaw. With a lack of anything else to hand however, she flung one of her gloves that had been tucked behind her belt at him. Then she looked around for something else. Briefly, she even considered her shoe but she'd have a hard time bending down...

With a snarl she threw up her hands and turned and... tried desperately not to waddle.

• Haha
Cassian balked as she whirled on him, his shoulders lifting defensively as the glove hit him with a slap.

"It was a compliment!... Lex!.." He managed not to laugh as he watched her attempt at a strut, but it was difficult not to grin. Hopefully the lavender bath and tray of pastries and fruits that awaited her return home would soften her mood a little.

• Cthulu Knife
Lexi muttered beneath her breath as she strode towards the exit and then paused as another wave of pain rolled through her. She gripped a hold of the handrail that led up into the viewing stands and used it to lean on as she breathed out through her clenched teeth.

Oh but the pain really made her want to hit someone.

She was contemplating finding someone in the pits when her water broke.

• Scared
The grin he wore fell the minute he saw her grip the handrail.. "Lex, you alri--" . The rest of the word turned to stone in his throat and he froze, seized by a sudden panic that he hadn't quite expected. He'd been ready for this, he'd been waiting, and waiting, and now that it was happening there was a wave of terror that clutched at his chest so tightly that he could barely breathe.

"Fuck." he rasped out and skipped over to her.. "Here, time to go." he stated the obvious as he pulled her arm around his shoulder and took hold of her waist, taking most of her weight to walk her home as quickly as he could. He'd carry her if need be, regardless of the backlash.

"Sorcha, lass." he called over to the young girl who idolised her commander so much she'd started to scare the boys a little too. "- run on ahead, to the infirmary. Kid's on her way.." he told her, and the girl gave a quick and flustered nod before doing as she was asked.

"Lets get you both home." he rumbled, forcing himself to smile at her..

• Cthulhoo rage
"Gods fucking damnit," Lexi muttered. Not because it was happening, but the sheer inconvenience of it all. She had a meeting in an hour with her Lieutenants and an inspection to do on the barracks that were near completion. She'd been hoping to have it signed off and the cadets moved back in before she had a baby - she was pretty certain you couldn't take a baby to a building site.

"It's fine - I'm fine, Cassian. It could be hours yet!" she protested as he began to frog-waddle her back towards the apartments. "I told Torq I'd stop by to inspect the siege arms..." she tried to nudge him in the direction of the makers guild.

• Cthulhoo rage
"What? Absolutely fuckin' not. It might be minutes, might be hours, might be fuckin' days, but you're goin' home - now." he answered her firmly as he bent to scoop her legs away from her. He didn't expect it to go down well, but if he didn't get her home she wouldn't stop working until their daughter was delivered in the fucking pits.

"Everyone else has it handled." he huffed.

• Stressed
"Cassian! Fuck, put me down!" it was much harder to wriggle when one was the size of a hippopotamus and the result was much like a seal attempting to flop its way to the sea. In the end she gave up but her face was one that would have made a Fury step back.

"I'm not staying in bed until the babe arrived, Cass. Surely you prefer me walking around out here to pacing in the apartments!"

"I certainly do not." he muttered to her, purposefully avoiding looking at the lividity in her expression. "You haven't stopped, you're supposed to have been takin' it easy, and I've put up with it until now but now, I get a say." his brow furrowed, and his heart hammered against his ribs so hard he was certain she'd feel it.

The door flew open before they reached it, Farah was already there, rushing about with towels in hand. "The infirmary has been informed!" she blurted at him before he could ask. The bath was still warm, and a fresh gown had been folded at the bottom of their bed.

"Everythin's fine." he said, more to himself than to her as he set her down carefully.

• Facepalm
"Oh for the love of--"

Farah being there was not a good sign. Especially not when this frenzied activity was a close to hysterical as Lexi had ever seen the woman. She hesitated before picking a pair of slippers. Farah only did that when she was frazzled. Finally free of Cassian she threw her husband-to-be a glare and stalked immediately to the kitchen.

"Sit," she demanded to them both. "Before you pass out again," she muttered. "You too, Farah," the assistant squeaked but obediently made her way over to the small dining table. Lexi began to pour some tea.

"Now you're going to just sit here and breathe."

• Facepalm
At least she wasn't freaking out... Perhaps he was freaking out? He didn't feel like he was, but he'd gone over and over this day in his mind since they'd been told they had a child on the way. He'd tried to busy himself and focus on the joy he felt, but there was always this day. This day, when so much could go wrong, and it terrified him..

Cassian squeezed his palms shut in self-restraint as Lexi glared at him, and he and Farah exchanged a hesitant look before the woman obediently took her seat at the table.

"Shouldn't, we send for your mother?" he asked and cleared his throat. If the woman heard that Lexi was in labour and she hadn't been called for... Well, he wasn't sure who's wrath was worse. Reluctantly though, he sat, his fingers lacing together atop the table as though trying to appear far more at ease than he felt. He was staring at her though, eyes shifting to her belly to her face and back..

"Are you in pain?" he frowned..

• Dwarf
"No, I'm having a great time," Lexi gritted out as another contraction speared through her. How the fuck had women been doing this for the last million years or more? It felt barbaric. She'd had stab wounds which were less painful. Taking a deep breath like the midwife had taught her she let it out slowly and the pain subsided just a little.

"Yes, we should summon your mother," Farah nodded in agreement and took a shaky sip of her tea. Lexi eyed her trembling hands and shook her head, muttering beneath her breath.

"Fine, fine! You can get my mother," how many more people? As if on cue Kain suddenly burst through the door, his arms full of towels.

"I HEARD THE BABY WAS COMING!?"

• Facepalm
Cassian winced as Kain came rushing in. He wanted to laugh, but he feared for his face if he did, so instead he shot his fiancée an apologetic look. Perhaps he'd been a little too prepared. Farah near collided with the second in command as she rushed to fetch Lexi's mother, and Cassian rubbed at his face.

"She's alright, Kain.. Might be a while yet.." he frowned, and folded his arms as he sat back in the chair, watching her. "She's got this. She probably doesn't need any of us." his shoulders shrugged with a huff.

• Dwarf
Lexi threw up her hands and Farah hid her face in her cup in order to stop herself from laughing. Kain's eyes flickered between those gathered wondering, quite clearly, why none of them were more panicked until Cassian explained.

"Oh... I guess... these things are a lot slower than you read about," he said awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. Farah nearly chocked on her tea in her effort to hide her laughter. In the end she quickly stood and brushed past Kain on her way to the door, making the excuse to go and fetch Tahlia. Lexi watched her go with a sigh then looked at Kain.

"Tea?"

It was a good hour before Tahlia arrived with Christopher in tow who had wisely brought the good whisky with him.

"For the nerves," he explained and poured himself a healthy double.

He had barely taken his eyes off of her in the hour that they waited for her parents to arrive. Of all of the things he had faced in his life, he had never been quite as anxious about anything than he was right now, though he tried his best to appear calm.

Her parents' arrival was somewhat of a relief and he gladly accepted one cup of whisky and a squeeze of his shoulder.

"How much longer is this gonna take?" he grumbled to Kain and Christopher who accompanied him at the table as Tahlia assessed Lexi.. "This is alrigh', isn' it? Normal?" he asked quietly, his hands wringing together.

• Bless
"How long's a bit of string?" Christopher countered with a grimace though at least this time he only sipped at his whisky. Much like everyone in the room he didn't seem able to take his eyes off of Lexi. Concern was written all over his face. "Tahlia was in labour for 36 hours with Lexi, and only 4 with Damion. It depends on the babe."

"I can hear you you know!" Lexi gritted out between contractions and this time Christopher did down his drink.

"I think you should lie down," Tahlia cautioned and Lexi brushed her away.

"it hurts less standing and moving," she sighed and rubbed at her lower back. "Can I have some of that Whisky?" she half joked.

"Twice the length from the middle.." Cassian murmured the answer to Christopher's riddle and dragged a hand down his face.

The tension in the room was thickening, and he watched Lexi, seeing her frustration and discomfort..

"Alright - everyone else, into the living room and make yourselves comfortable. Lets just, give her some space. I'll call if anything happens.." he insisted and stood, hoping the anxious plea in his expression would prevent any argument.

For now, he hoped his fiancee would allow him close enough to pull her back gently against his chest and let his thumbs knead slowly at her lower back.

• Bless