Fable - Ask Bros Before Dying in a Siege

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Talus

Dreadlord
Character Biography
Link
Vel Telra

It had been two days now, two days since this army had appeared around the walls of Vel Telra.

Talus had not recognized them, not even the slightest glimmer. They wore all black, plates segmented in strange patterns, with flags that spoke of a rising sun in black. It wouldn't have concerned him ordinarily, wouldn't have even been a problem, save for one little fact; magic did not seem to work upon those figures.

He had tried reaching out with a spell, a simple bolt cast from his fingers, yet as soon as it had drawn near the bolt had all but vanished.

His own magic still worked within the walls, but...he had no idea what would happen if he stepped within range of any of the mysterious soldiers. What was worse as Vel Telra itself. The city was hardly one worthy of the 'Vel' Name, having only gained it through sheer political bickering between the great houses. Barely five thousand souls called this place a home, with only a tenth of that as guardsmen protecting it.

Five hundred soldiers, that was all Talus had to protect against what appeared to be an army of three thousand that seemed to be immune to magic. "Fuck."

Talus said quietly, standing atop the gatehouse as he watched the enemy build their siege engines.

• Yay
Reactions: Landon
"Yeah well, unless your mystery lass is here, that ain't happening anytime soon, mate," Landon muttered, fingers scratching at his beard as he came alongside his commander. Over the past year or so, he'd gotten fairly close to Talus. He was one of the only dreadlords the man respected. Could count on his hand as a friend. Could throw out the rare joke or quip. He and Talus had already fought alongside each other during a few rescue and defense missions. The rest he saw as vipers and pawns.

It was a cold morning and Landon forget his gloves.

Damn.

Webbed armor stretched across his chest. Bow was strewn over his broad shoulder. Quiver secured at his back. "Scouting party didn't come back last night. Just like the others."

Arms crossed, stuffing his hands under his armpits as cold air escaped his breath.

"Let me lead the next one."

• Popcorn
  • Haha
Reactions: Zana and Talus
"Seems like a good way for you to end up dead." Five hundred against three thousand, and the Governor had thrown away a dozen lives just trying to find a way out for the nobles.

It made Talus sick to his stomach, lips thinning as he closed his eyes and tried to send calm assurance through the bond he had with Zanna. He did not want her to think all hope was yet lost, though in the back of his mind he could feel her in the distance.

"I don't think we'll find a way out." He told his friend with a frown. "And I don't think we'll survive if we keep sending out our own men to die."

Talus was a Major, one ring below the highest Rank in the Guard, but unfortunately even his commands did not supercede those of a cities Governor. At least not until the Marshall statue was put into place. The law was a controversial one, and had not been used in nearly three hundred years.

It would no doubt be politized, but Talus saw no other way.

"I'm going to do something foolish, and I'm gonna need you to back me up." Talus said as he slowly turned away from the walls.

• Dwarf
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Zana and Landon
Landon narrowed his cold, blue eyes on his friend. He kept his comments about better him to die than the conscripts they'd sent out. That Governor's order particularly irked the knight. Gaze shifted to behind the man's shoulder at the surrounding army. Curls of smoke drifted lazily into the air from their encampment.

Bastards.

"I've always got your back," he finally commented, dragging his eyes back to the dreadlord. "Think it unfair that you're the one to get to do the foolish. But if it'll help my count then who am I to complain?" A dark smirk. Arms uncrossed and he rubbed his calloused hands together.

"What're we doing?"

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
"We're going to take over the city." Talus said the word as he spun on his heel and began to head down the steps just behind the wall.

There was no doubt in his mind that a part of this was all foolishness. He could no more command the five hundred men to win this battle than the Governor could, but he could hold out. That was really the only thing they could do.

Three thousand against five hundred.

"There's an ancient law. Marshall Order." He told Landon as he motioned to some of the guards. "We'll likely have to seize the palace by force."

A prospect which was nearly treason.

• Cheer
"Holy shite," Landon breathed, following closely behind Talus. Fingers tightened on the bow looped over one shoulder. A curt nod to the man.

"You know the guard here are loyal to you."

They were. They'd follow the dreadlord to hell and back. Fuk, they pretty much had at Lee'am's deep and the Shole Islands. "Palace guards are what we'll have to worry about the most. Any palace mages." Landon looked at the guards coming over.

Good lads.

All who'd decided to stay after their conscript was through. Two that had been with the guard way longer than he'd even been a knight.

"I'm the only Dreadlord in the city." Talus was lucky in that. This place wasn't large enough to have it's own mage stationed here, something that likely would have made things a hundred times worse.

His shoulders slumped slightly.

"We offer the Palace Guard surrender first." Talus had never liked unnecessary killing, and that wasn't any different here. "If they don't...we'll do what we have to."

As they walked a dozen or more Guardsmen fell into line behind them, most of them looking about as ragged as could be, but all good soldiers. A siege was never easy, and one in a place like this? Even harder. "Ready?"

Talus asked.

• Yay
Well that part was good news.

Landon always wondered if these outlying Governors ever brought in outside mages since dreadlords were hard to come by unless you were a big fancy-posh house that could afford 'em. Reminded him of the farm he'd grown up on and how protection had been...sparse. Head shook slightly as if he could turn off the memory of his mother's screams.

All good men and women. They looked like a small army as they walked the short pathways to the palace. Landon locked eyes with Talus.

"Always, mate." He unshouldered his bow and knocked an arrow to the strings but didn't draw back. Frigid blues swept the few palace guards that were still on duty. They shifted nervously, enough to know something was up.

Landon wanted to pull Talus aside.

Even if this worked, what then? They were almost out of food. Soldiers rations were already going to the women and children in the small town. No supplies were getting in. If they couldn't find an escape from the city things would get even uglier real soon.

The bearded man kept these thoughts to himself.

Dad always said one step at a time.

• Popcorn
Talus wouldn't have disagreed with any of Landon's points. They were still stuck on this side of the wall, there was still an army knocking at their door.

The problem they faced wouldn't go away just because Talus took control, but it would at least allow him to change their strategy of defense. Right now that was the most important thing. If they could have a chance, they needed to do this.

A breath filled his lungs, and slowly they stalked through the city streets.

As they moved he saw starving faces, scared women and children, terrified men. All of them knew what was waiting for them, all of them knew what might be coming. Talus scowled as he moved, reaching the steps of the palace with his stomach already churning.

At the gates above the Palace Guard stood, tensing as Talus and his guardsmen approached. "Step Aside, I come here on the authority of the Guard and Marshall Law."

The Palace Guard looked at one another, then drew their weapons.

• Popcorn
Bow was taught and arrow drawn as one of the palace guards drew a cross bow and released an arrow. Arrow went into the man's firing arm. These were fellow anirians - even though they were outliers. Landon was going to do his damndest to shoot to maim and not to kill.

If he could.

"Take the sides. Flank 'em," Landon ordered to the guards under his rank. Turning to Talus, he then offered a one fingered gesture and a quick nod as he moved with him forward. Another arrow charged to his strings. More arrows came pelting toward them.

Moving with speed that screamed years of training and battle fields, he lunged to the right, narrowly missing a bolt for his shoulder. He released his own arrow for the guard's thigh. Two more palace guards came running down the palace steps, swords ready.

• Popcorn
Talus batted away a crossbow bolt with his sword, a flare of red sparks erupting as steel clashed against steel.

The Palace Guardsmen that ran down the ramp were met with him, his blade flickering forward like a viper. They swiped their blades forward, but both were outmatched in a near instant as he swept between them and cut the back of their calf's.

Dual screams echoed as they went tumbling down the stairs.

"Landon!" Talus motioned to a window up on the wall, another Palace Guard with a crossbow loosing a bolt. It shot through Talus, hitting the marble steps behind him as his magic enveloped him for half a heart beat.

As soon as he caught his friends attention Talus stalked up the stairs towards the main gates, his boot slamming down on the heavy doors to shove them open.

• Popcorn
Icy-blues tracked to the windows. Years of being deployed on the Eastern front brought a smoothness and ease to his motions as arrow after another were loosened and knocked to and from the bow. Muscles rippled along his arms. Jaw set.

He still wondered if it would've been more of a mercy for him to shoot the palace guard in the throat vs the thigh. A fast death vs one of starvation. His keen gaze noted that even their movements were sluggish. Even though they were employed by the nobles hoarding the food, he imagined they too, didn't get much extra.

Landon didn't even wait for the guard's body to slump over. Long legs took the stairs two at a time and he was back by Talus' side in a flash, moving before the dreadlord. A guard charged at him from behind the door, two daggers raised. Too close for Landon to send an arrow into the man. Planting his feet, he used the sungsteel bow to block the man's strikes, knocking one of the daggers from his hand and dodging a blow from another.

• Popcorn
Talus' sword cut into the attackers calf, slicing through muscle and sinew before his leg impacted with his hip and sent him scattered to the floor.

"Thanks." He offered the quick word to Landon before he moved forward.

Blood dripped onto the rich carpet from his sword, their winding steps quickly carrying them forward through the maze of the palace. Around them he could hear the clashing of swords, Guardsmen fighting those who remained loyal to the Governors will.

Then they reached the throne room.

Two of the Palace Guard stood there, both of them shaking as they held their weapons. Talus glanced at Landon, then the soldiers. "Leave."

The two men looked at one another, shook their heads and then dropped their weapons to the floor.

• Bless
"Damn," Landon breathed, his arrow now aimed at one of the fat nobles occupying one of the royal seats. He gulped on his wine, spilling the drivel down his chin while his plump wife screamed.

"Wish that worked more often, mate."

His quip was to Talus but his icy-blues remained on the governor and his wife. Then darted throughout the throne room. He sidestepped away from Talus and walked in a large circle so he could keep his periphery on those nobles and on the door he and Talus just entered.

The wife had a full plate of mixed cheeses, fruits, and meats settled on her lap. All while those just outside those doors were starving. Even some in the guard.

Chin tipped to the two palace guards who just dropped their weapons.

"C'mon, slowly over there to that wall. Hands where I can see 'em."

• Popcorn
"Governor." Talus' voice carried well within the throne room.

He could feel his heart thump in his chest, fingers curling slightly on the hilt of his sword as he thought about just how to phrase this.

"As a Major in the Anirian Guard." For some reason it felt like he was holding a coup. His stomach twisted in knots, but he slowly continued to speak despite the fact that he found difficulty in doing so. "By Order of my command I am hereby placing you under arrest for gross negligence in the defense of this city."

Gasps echoed through the room and the Governor was about to open his mouth. "I declare Martial Law in this city, and I am taking over it's defense."

Talus wondered if he had just committed suicide.

• Sip
The governor sputtered and rose, dropping his filled wine chalice to the floor. His wife stood, her food plate clattered to the ground. Landon was a hundred percent going to collect that food later.

"You can't," the man sputtered.

"He can and he did," Landon still covered the others in the room. The entries and exits. More Anirian guards entered the door behind them. They'd cleared the rest of the palace guards. They knew what to do. With a subtle nod from Landon, they moved forward to take the nobles into custody. Landon gave one last look about the room before he began lowering his bow.

He needed a smoke after this one.

• Popcorn
Talus frowned for a brief moment as Landon lowered his weapon, fingers tightening for a moment as he looked at the Throne like chair on the dais.

It was not quite ostentatious enough to be anything more than a fancy chair, but Talus still didn't like it. He slowly walked over to it, placing a boot against the side before he kicked it over. The wood splintered and cracked as it fell to the floor. "Alright."

He said with that cathartic release finished.

"Now we have to figure out what we're going to do next." He let out a loud sigh, sitting himself down on the stairs. He sent urgency down the bond, not panic or fear, but a softer sense that he needed her to come.

Things would be dire soon.

"Don't suppose you have any ideas?" Talus asked his friend with a frown.

• Dwarf
  • Bless
Reactions: Zana and Landon
Landon didn't shoulder his bow until the rest of the palace guards were bound and lead out along with the nobles. Boot kicked the dropped wine chalice in disgust.

What a waste.

Kneeling down, he scooped up the fallen plate of food. Nodding one of the younger recruits over, he offered the kid the plate. The boy's eyes widned and he began scarfing it down.

"Lad, save some for the rest of your squad." The boy nodded and scurried away to the others still on clean-up duty around the room. Straightening he turned to Talus.

"Wasn't kidding about sending me out, mate. Maybe alone. If I could just get one o'their scouts or sentries perhaps we could see what we're dealing with. Maybe the anti-magic is with their armor. Might be some old tunnels around these parts too."

A shrug along his muscled shoulders.

"Should distribute the food that we find here to those most vulnerable in the village though. Maybe a few scraps to the lads so they can keep up their strength in case we get attacked tonight. More eerie on what they're waiting for."

Why were they waiting to attack? By gods, they outnumbered them 5 to 1.

• Popcorn
He nodded his head in agreement. "We'll see it goes to those who need it the most."

Tactically it made the most sense that the Guard were fed first, but...he wasn't a tyrant. His men would get what they needed to keep going, but the rest had to go to the people. If five thousand got hungry...it was likely he'd have more trouble on his hand.

"I'm not sending out out alone." Talus said with a frown. That seemed like suicide. "I'll put Vorak in charge."

He said with a wave of his hand. "He has a level head. You and I will go hunting for one of those Black Armors."

At least that way they could survive.

• Popcorn
"Oh Vorak will like that," Landon said with a half-smirk. A raise of his dark brows to his friend. "Y'know this'll only make my count higher, right? Not like you can do your ghosty thing."

A twinkle in his pale eyes as he said it.

A shift of the bow along his shoulder. Not like he could talk the commander out of it. Landon followed his orders, even if they'd gotten close over the past two years. Damnit. He just better not get them killed.

"When do you wanna go?"

Landon would be lying if he said he wasn't nervous. But it beat sitting here and waiting for the end.

"Oh I can." He pointed out to Landon with a quick wag of his fingers. "I just can't rip the bastards souls out."

Landon had seen that particular ability on more than one occasion. He'd been one of the few Guardsmen who hadn't been afraid of Talus afterward, something that had both shocked him...and also endeared him to the man.

It was hard making friends when people were afraid of you. "Sundown."

He said confidently.

"Easiest time to sneak around." For human eyes anyway.

• Sip
"Show off," he grunted just beneath his breath as Talus waggled his fingers. Landon had known several dreadlords on the eastern front before he got re-assigned to the home guard and put under Talus' command. None of them had been like Talus. And he wasn't talking about the magic. Those others saw people like him as expendable fodder. Talus had been the first, and only, dreadlord he'd ever met that seemed to put a value on life.

Landon respected that more than what the man could do magic-wise.

"Sundown. Meet yah at the gates. Permission to re-load my gear before then?"

He had somethings to take care of. Scrounge up some supplies. Direct the men under him while he was gone.

Maybe sneak some dragonspice.

• Popcorn
"Do what you need to do." Talus said, though he himself remained seated where he was.

The Throne room was...an uncomfortable place for him. He did not like the idea of being a noble, and he liked the thought even less after having seized power over an entire city. Not because he didn't like the idea of power, in fact...

He liked the idea far too much for his own liking.

Lips thinned for a brief moment as he glanced back towards the fallen throne, his fingers tightening on his sword before he took a deep breath and eventually left.

A few hours later as the sun crept back down towards the horizon Talus found himself standing at the Southern most gate of the city. He wore a black clock over his armor, and his sword was strapped to his back instead of his waist. He waited quietly for Landon.

• Dwarf
Landon jogged up. His quiver was full of arrows again. Bow along his back. His armor, a lighter weave-material was black, so he didn't have to worry about covering anything up. He'd managed to scrounge up a scrap of bread and canteen of water.

That was it, though.

He nodded in a casual salute to Talus.

"Ready?"

After the man nodded, he took a breath and pushed through the gate first, eyes alert on the treeline.

• Thoughtful
Talus followed after Landon quickly, his cloak snapping slightly in the wind.

They would have to move quickly to catch whatever the hell one of those armored men was. From what Talus had seen they tended to move in groups of three, moving quickly and usually in strange formations. He let Landon lead for a time, though eventually gently grabbed the man by his shoulder and pulled him back as the sun drew down.

"There." He pointed upward towards a ridgeline. "We can get a good viewpoint, but careful following me up."

Landon would of course know that that meant.

The moment he spoke Talus' form snapped into it's more ghostly visage, dragging itself through the air and quickly wisping up towards the ridge he had pointed out.

• Popcorn