Open Chronicles Bochanan Ball

A roleplay open for anyone to join
"Indeed...it's all about appearances..." Karl said quietly, as he glanced over to the dance floor, where his younger sister was currently occupied by that...fellow. Karl didn't know how much freedom Lady Bochanan, but he knew for a fact that none of Llyn's siblings, older and younger, cared about what she did with herself as long as she doesn't get herself into too much trouble...a matter that often needed to be debated more in the family...and a conversation had about safe boundaries that would follow.

Still, Karl was glad that Llyn had the freedom she had; growing into such a talented and brilliant young women, even if it came with the occasional implosion here or there. Karl had heard of the stories of these "prize wives" that often sat around the house and looked pretty. Frankly, not even Karl could imagine such an arrangement to be an enjoyable one...although, as Otto had explained before, "marriage" in a noble's world had little to do with what they wanted and more what was best for the family, in terms of external relations. Good thing that the elders of the Von Stehlen family made "what was best for the family" somthing that the family actually wanted...rather then simply using them as pawns in a overarching political game. A defiant stance against tradition, but then again...orthodoxy was present throughout the Von Stehlen lineage.

Anywho, Myrcella wanted to change the subject again, so the knight will oblige; This time he raised an eyebrow, as his attention returned on the host, a eyebrow raised.

"Hm...somehow I doubt she'd say yes...judging by that expression of hers..." Her expression, and demeanor for that matter, both seemed more fitting for a battlefield then a ball. " ...besides...I'd rather not crush anyone's foot on the dance floor."

"Nonsense." Selene said as the approached Myrcella Bochanan and Karl von Stehlen, her expression neutral.

Selene was no dancer, she had no trouble admitting that. "It is I who would crush your feet, and it would be truly awful to ruin that armor."

The young Dreadlord offered both their host and Sir Von Stehlen a brief smile. The facade was difficult for her to put on, but she somehow managed it well enough she thought. Parties like this had become easier over the years, particularly as she'd grown into herself more.

Briefly she wondered if it was the same for anyone else here.

"Selene." She offered her name to the two.

"Many have tried..but none have succeeded...so I wouldn't be too worried...." Karl said in response, in a particularly hostile manner(his tone was still rather hollow). Even with the new comer, Karl still didn't smile, his facial expression remained the same as when he had first entered the estate. Perhaps it was a habit, or perhaps it was more then that...but it was a rarity for Karl to smile, even in circumstances such as this. Wasn't that the knight didn't understand traditions or customs, but it was just...Karl couldn't really be asked. Weather purposeful or subconscious, Karl didn't smile often nor did he smile just for anyone....he only ever smiled around his family, and even then those moments wouldn't last.

At least he wasn't Otto...Karl couldn't remember once in his entire life seeing his brother smile.

"....Karl..." The knight would go on to give his name...nodding forward at this newcomer, taking the moment to wonder about that smile...it was one he's seen before,, although there wasn't one specific incidents or type of incident that the knight could put his finger on...perhaps it was the simple fact that Karl knew what a genuine smile looked like...or rather, had the pleasure of being graced by...to be able tell that this one was rather...shallow...outwardly, yes a smile...but it was just...an outward smile. Ironic, coming from a lad like Karl, who always seem to have only one expression. Her smile wasn't the only indication, though....there was somthing about her posturing that suggested that she belonged...elsewhere, less stuffy.

Karl was no different, except Karl wasn't subtle about it.

"...I'm sure a women of your graces would have little trouble navigating the dance floor...after all, all you need is a couple of steps, along with confidence....to make yourself look like master of the dance floor." It wasn't even that Karl didn't know how to dance; the lad had learned how to move about the dance floor from being both a noblemen and a knight...but it was just no one really ever asked him to such occasions. Karl was, after all, a knight cladded in plate armor; he either didn't have the time for such social gatherings, or people were genuinely afraid of getting their foot crushed. His siblings generally were easier targets to ask for a dance...and then a potential favor. "...it's pretty clear to both of us that you have the confidence, considering that you have no problem approaching us....your really are only a couple of steps away from truly dominating the dance floor."
Selene Avar Myrcella Bochanan

As they walked to the floor she replied to Richard.
"I bet his voice and looks are no more alluring than your own."
She was more than glad to serve as a distraction for Lady Bochanan, especially if the man she was to distract looked sweeter than honey and had the charm of a song bird! She honestly hoped she was enough to draw his full attention, because he certainly had hers.

"Yes, my brother is a knight. My family is built on the back of our military strength. What we lack in political pull we make up for with our reputation as a well trained fighting force."
As they stepped onto the dance floor she turned to him with a smile on her face. It was a genuine smile, she wanted to catch his attention and get to know him, and for him to want to know her. She had a tendency to just leap blindly into relationships, and it was so rare for her to actually not have to fight other women for the handsome man in the room, and to actually be desired to take him off their hands!
"But we're not all lumbering suits of armor, as I'm sure you've noticed. When it comes to the charm of our family, I have the monopoly."

She put her right hand on his shoulder, and her left hand sought his right hand. The musicians were playing a lively tune and the dancers were already spinning on the dance floor, the ladies colorful skirts billowing out and swooping, following the leads of the sharply dressed men. Her blood quickened in excitement. She would finally get to dance with the most handsome man in the whole party!

Dinner wouldn't be ready for a while still, but it was promised to be a meal sent of the gods. The cooks in the Bochanan kitchens were professionals, and even they were loyal and had a deep love and respect for Lord Bochanan. They were in the process of preparing a feast that would bring happiness to all, they will not bring shame to the Bochanan family and serve anything sub-par to their absolute best. Even Titus had never seen them work so hard and dutifully at their bubbling pots, sizzling spits of meat over open fire, and seasoned breads baking in the ovens. Each item was prepared with love and in honor of their fallen Lord so that non would be able to disrespect his name or his family.

Titus and the other servants kept out of the way. Once the chefs gave the all clear they would dare to approach the kitchens to prepare to serve, but for now they all tended to the party and the guests. Titus watched the dancing guests as they spun and twirled on the polished floor. He smiled at the thought of one day being able to ask Myrcella to dance, in public and in front of everyone.

He saw Richard dancing with another young lady, it felt like a small weight was lifted from his chest to know that he wasn't dancing with Myrcella, though that could change before the night is over, he still felt a little better.
Titus didn't hate the man, not by a long shot, Richard wasn't the kind of person Titus got along with, so he simply kept the relationship between them professional... though it didn't help that the man was indeed a threat to him being with the woman he loved, whether Richard liked it or not.

Titus seemed to have precious little time to accomplish his set goals that would be years in the making. When he first heard of their betrothal Titus all but panicked. He pushed himself harder than ever to train, and his mentor confronted him about it when Titus finally pushed himself too far and passed out from exhaustion. His mentor advised him on what to do, and it was then that he also learned that his mentor, Isaias Kildare, was one of the messengers as well. A servant of the creator.

However, he couldn't completely hide his bruises from his panicked foolishness. And he got the feeling that the knight back there noticed. His bruises ran deep and in truth he ached horribly, the trained posture he was to hold when serving drinks made his muscles scream in pain, but he didn't falter nor drop his tray. He endeavored to present himself as a professional servant of House Bochanan, and he considered one twinge of weakness or a mistake to be a shame, a blot on the entire family. All the servants were of this mind.

Titus continued to serve drinks and make sure all the guests were being served or entertained in some way.

Richard smiled at Lyn's attempts at flirting, she was very pretty and had a lovely voice. Why oh why wasn't he bethroed to her? Oh well, that's life he guessed though Richard had a feeling that Myrcella didn't mind if he and Llyn got married while he was supposed to be committed to her. "Almost sounds like my family," Richard said as he began to dance with her. He made sure to position himself to keep a close eye on Myrcella. What tricks does the young girl have up her sleeve? She's a mere child when it comes to the Game of Thrones but as his sister taught him sometimes the innocent can be the most deadly of opponents.

"We are supposed to be a combination of intelligence and military might," Richard said continuing to dance with Llyn though still eyeing Mrycella was that Titus Phane talking to her? Oh dear, she is rather smitten with him, is she? "But later generations have the family leaning towards military," he continued.

The knight sighed. "Quite sad really, I was born in the wrong generation I'm more of a singer rather than a fighter."

"*Ahem* Excuse me..." Someone cleared his throat, relatively loudly, not too far from the servant, and were he too look, he'd spot the Count of Strojland standing on his own, seemingly having separated himself from the noble group from before. Odd, a man himself standing out in the open...and by himself...but whatever the reason, he lifted a hand to gesture for the servant to come over to where he was standing.

Were Titus to oblige, Otto would watch as the servant advance...glancing in a separate direction for a moment, before his focus returned to Titus...gesturing once more, were he to come near, to come even nearer.

"Stand here for a moment..." Otto said in a rather lower voice, gesturing with one hand to the space next to him, as he glanced back in the direction where he had been initially glancing... seemed that somthing had caught his attention...an attention that was neither his younger sister dancing with some stranger, or his younger brother talking to the Lady of the Household...and now, talking with a Dreadlord...no, neither of that...although both observation had been noted down...no, it was somthing else...the Count's gaze was either that of intensity, or that of boredom...regardless, the Count would leaning over to the servant, and ask, in the most indifferent of tons. "...what's your name, son?"
Titus Phane

Last edited:
Myrcella smiled and dipped her head to Selene Avar as she introduced herself and was quite quick to counter the comments made by Karl von Stehlen . She listened to the banter between the two of them, learning while she observed. It wasn't often that she was around others from far away.

As the two of them spoke, Myrcella finished her punch. "Please excuse me. I'm going to get a refill." And maybe a little treat as well. She stepped back before moving through the guests, making her way over to one of the tables filled with decadent treats. Her empty glass was taken by one of the staff as she happened near in one fluid movement. Though the young Lady's eyes were on the chocolatey treats. She picked up a truffle and nibbled on it. Afterall it wasn't very lady-like to stuff it in her mouth as she would do in her chambers.

Turning to face the ballroom, she watched as Llyn Von Stehlans seemed quite smitten with Richard Henry the Eighth . Oh that was good! Maybe there was some way that she could break the engagement and get those two together instead! Yes! That would be a terrific plan.

Myrcella smiled in spite of herself and continued to eat her truffle, her gaze searching the crowd for Titus Phane . It wasn't too hard to spot him. But then he seemed to be talking to Otto von Stehlen . The man didn't look very happy, but that could just be a family trait. Perhaps he was just asking about the evening's schedule? That could be it.

Hmm....

At his beckoning, Titus Phane approached Otto Von Stehlen and stood where he was directed. Titus was quizzical, but he answered his question.
"I am Titus Phane, sir. Is there something i can help you with?"

The noble was acting strangely, though Titus wasn't familiar with the Von Stehlen's he knew some of their reputation. And this man was acting like something was wrong, so Titus was duty bound to find the source of the problem and root it out.

Last edited:
The Count didn't bat an eye at the servant's question...instead he narrowed his focus on a particular individual in the direction he was looking for...although at first, it wasn't clear who that was...

"Listen here...Titus...if you don't want to spent the next ten minutes wiping blood off the floor...do exactly as I say..." The Count said in a low voice, his focus never wavering...know exactly what he was saying, his voice never changing pitch nor tone. "...stand here and do not move...act as you are, but keep your attention towards me...there is a man over there that I will speak to...he will come towards this direction after we've spoken...if he walks, let him through...if he runs, detain him...you do that...and all may continue in peace...understood?"

The Count didn't give the servant much time to respond, instead walking off at the direction of said man, whom had his back towards the two, and was looking rather...intuitive...towards a certain someone...another secound, and the man would reach into his coat. Otto would advance...approaching the man from behind...quietly...or rather, his approach masked by the flurry of activity occurring all around him...as he came up from behind, he the Count would appear to say somthing that almost immediately startled this fellow....who turned around and glared at the Count...hand still in his coat pocket...but soon finding himself engaged in a rather intense glaring staring match...one he found himself losing to the one they called "The Grim".

After few moments, Otto appeared to say somthing more, using his head to gesture in Titus's direction...causing this "golden boy"(the color of his hair) to glance at Titus...the expression was less then pleasant...Though, Titus wasn't the only one golden boy had looked at; he just happened to be the one that was gestured at...another servant would pass, receive the same treatment from 'golden boy..before said fellow returned his attention to the Count...

In the crowdiness of the ballroom, there interaction was almost unnoticed...nothing unusual, for two noblemen to...talk some stuff out....
Titus Phane

"Dance is not where I prefer to hold my dominance." Selene said plainly, the expression on her face never changing yet somehow coy.

Her gaze flickered after the woman as she left, her head bowing respectfully.

Then slowly her eyes wandered back towards Karl von Stehlen. The man's name was not familiar, though that wasn't too surprising in a place like this. She was stranger in strange lands. It was the whole point of coming here in the first place, exploring a new place.

Making new allies.

"So." She gestured to the mans armor. "Expecting battle?"

Selene could respect wanting to be ready for a fight. She herself always was.

She supposed it was a simple thin for her, all she needed was the necklace around her throat and her eyes open. For others...the mundane it must have been far more difficult.

"Always..." Karl said, his own expression hardly shifting, meeting her expression with the exact same indifference then if he had been speaking to a ham sandwich. "...every day...every hour...every minute...every secound...but then again, I don't typically find myself in a dancing hall...the guest I entertain often come bearing gifts of steel...or fangs...though that dance, I am more familiar with...and you don't seem to different yourself."

Karl, weather subconsciously or consciously aware, had his guard up almost always. It made him very reactive to the situation, but of course, at the cost of having to lumbering everywhere in a hulking piece of steel. Though at this point, Karl's armor felt like a secound skin, to a point where no longer really restricted his movements....like taking another sip out of the glass cup in his hands without crushing it...not the most impressive thing, but a useful feat.

"So tell me...what's a women of your disposition doing in a place like this?...seeing as you you don't have much of a preference...I'm assuming....for dancing ..."
Selene Avar

Titus watched the exchange between the two nobles with visible confusion. Was Von Stehlen trying to get him involved in some dispute with that noble? He wondered why he would have to detain the man if he were to run, and if that would reflect well for the Bochanan Family if one of their servants took down and detained one of their guests.

He cleared his thoughts and considered what was happening objectively. He had a duty, and right now he was looking at two nobles having a tense discussion that may result in a disturbance in the celebration. And Titus knew what he had to do in such a situation. He glanced around and found Myrcella at the refreshment table, she glanced his way. He knew he couldn't allow anyone to cause a scene, for her sake. Otto may have a plan, but Titus had a duty, and that came first.

He passed off his tray to another servant and began to walk the short distance to the two men. Both his elders by considerable years, but he knew how to handle himself.
He would ask them to take their dispute elsewhere, that this is not the time or place for arguments and that such things should be done in private so as not to disturb the other guests.
He wasn't there yet, but he hoped he would be able to confront the two men and prevent whatever was about to happen.

Llyn nodded, she knew what he meant, being born into the wrong generation. She watched his face intently and noticed his attention was still divided. Which made her slightly disappointed... Seems whenever she didn't have to compete with other women, she still had to compete for the attention of the man himself.
"I know what you mean... For myself, I like to tinker. You know, various odds and ends, maybe a little gift or two for my brothers. Some toys for the children in the village. It seems there are many trades that go unappreciated in this world today. I bet you have some very beautiful poems."

It was time to distract from the slightly somber turn of conversation, so she went ahead and pulled Richard into the dance, taking the lead at first, but differing to him once he got his feet back. She went into the dance very energetically, stepping into the rhythm of the music and letting it pulls her along.
"At least we have this time now, to at least be ourselves for one night and have fun!"

Myrcella finished nibbling on her truffle. Her eyes were on Titus Phane at first. Oh it was torture to not be able to ask him to dance. However if she could steal him away for a moment, perhaps they could do so outside. The music was sure to be heard out there, wouldn't it? And it'd be kind of romantic in it's secret way.

Richard Henry the Eighth seemed quite distracted by Llyn Von Stehlans . Or maybe it was the other way around? The lady hadn't seem to keep her eyes off him. So maybe Myrcella would get her moment to slip out unnoticed.

But then Otto von Stehlen interfered with that plan. Myrcella took another glass of punch and washed down the truffle while she watched him speak with another man that seemed like he was caught with his hand in a cookie jar. Politics was dangerous, she was told. Could this be one of those moments? She could only wait to see.

Karl von Stehlen and Selene Avar seemed to be hitting it off in their own way, which made Myrcella not feel bad about leaving them. Hopefully she was still being a good host, though her mother Gwendolyn Bochanan had yet to even arrive. Dinner was to start very shortly. Perhaps it was too much too soon for her. Hmmm.

"What am I supposed to do next, mother?...."

Perhaps things could have gone smoothly without much attention brought to the matter...but unfortunately for Otto, the situation had went against what he had planned. The moment Titus made a movement towards both gentlmen, he had spooked golden boy into action.

Very inconvenient and irritating...but not unaccounted for....as Otto's hand shot up in front of him to catch the golden boy's arm...right before he could plunge a knife into the Count's chest.

Now this all occurred within mere seconds, blink and you would have easily missed it....and given the crowdedness of the ball, those who hadn't had their attention on the Count probably wouldn't have been any of the wiser. What essentially transpired was that this golden boy had attempted to quickly stab the Count, but anticipating this, Otto had moved a hand to intercept. This must have shocked his assailant, who expected a fast and quiet kill. But Otto wasn't done, applying pressure towards the man's weak spot, he was able to force the man to drop his weapon, and right into Otto's free hand. As the Count caught the knife, he quickly stowed it out of view, before strong arming his assailant into a position that looked as if the two were having a close conversation. Their position was slightly turned, those around them oblivious to what was going on. Otto meanwhile, seemed to be saying somthing to his assailant...whatever it was that was said, it seemed to have an affect on golden boy, as his face went pale almost immediately.

Again, keep in mind that all of this occurred in blindingly rapid speed, somthing that could have easily been missed, unless one's full attention were on the two men.

Regardless, it seemed that Otto was done talking to the golden boy, realizing him from what seemed to be an iron grip, allowing him to recoil back, looking back at the Count with a nervous and fearful expression, almost backing into another noble couple, whom cried out in annoyance, but the man seemed as if his consciousness was currently miles away. The now nervous golden boy kept his nervous expression directed at Otto...as he quickly and quietly began making his way through the crowed...stright for the exit

Otto, his expression not changing from the moment he spoke to Titus, stared/glared at the golden boy, making sure to maintain his eye contact with his assailant...as the man stumbled his way out of the ball room...almost running into Titus, but regardless, rushing for the exit....Only when the man was out of sight, did the Count exhale.

Quite inconvenient indeed...

Otto would proceed to glance over to Titus, watching as he approached., wearing the same expression...but you could not really make out the intent of the expression. Angry? Annoyed? Upset? Or Furious? The uncertainty of that expression could be said to be frightening to some...Weather Titus would continue or stop in his tracks...Otto would quietly shift himself and slowly pace towards the servant.

"While you have no reasons to listen to me...had I been any less skilled...your late master wouldn't be the only person we'd be grieving for today..." The Count said in a rather matter-of-fact tone...the vagueness of "who" was also curious...was he referring to himself...or someone else?
Titus Phane Myrcella Bochanan

"I suppose I wear my own sort of armor." Selene mused to herself, gently swirling the wine in her glass and glancing down at it for a moment.

Her eyes wandered afterward, looking around the ballroom and observing those who remained.

"I'm here to make friends." She explained quite calmly. "In this modern world things are balanced on the edge of a knife."

Certainly true, especially considering recent events and what was happening in some of the major cities. Tensions were beginning to grow all over. It was something she was sure this man was aware of, especially given the small speech he had prepared for his armor.

The world was growing darker. "Better to find friends in a ballroom, than have to scramble for them in a battlefield."

"You wouldn't find many friends here..." Karl snorted, as he placed his glass idly on the tray of a passing servant. His attention then turned in the direction of where the women was looking at...musing slightly, as he did. "...a place like this is a place of politics and opportunities...if you are looking for any friends...comrades...you do it in a pub...you looking for allies...associates of mere convince...then you might find what you are looking for here..."

It was why Karl never much attended ballrooms like this. Politics was not a battle that Karl particularly enjoyed, as facing down a ogre was more stright forward then trying to figure out the intentions of any particular politician bureaucrat . Yet, they were a natural order to any civilized society with a plethora of ideas. It was why he left that particular battle to his brother....

No, Karl's forte was the blade and the battle...although, his armor did much more then merely to protect...it sent a sense of false reassurance to all those around him...that they're interpretation of him was correct...

"Regardless...You've any success in your endeavors of acquiring "friends"?"
Selene Avar

Something was going on near Titus Phane , Otto von Stehlen and another, though Myrcella couldn't quite see what was happening. She wasn't exactly the tallest of the bunch, so there were times when her view was obstructed. Still, she couldn't afford to keep staring at the man she loved. Most especially with Richard Henry the Eighth around.

Time was ticking by. Right now it seemed to be going by slowly, yet she couldn't delay anything for the guests. Her Mother still hadn't made an appearance. So npw it was all up to Myrcella. Did she have to make a speech? Oh boy. Addressing such a big crowd was a bit nervewracking to think of.

"Is the dinner ready?" Myrcella asked one of the servants.

"Yes, M'Lady, I believe that it is."

"Thank you. I suppose that I shall let everyone know." She quickly finished her punch, small droplets escaping down her chin, which were quickly wiped away. After a moment of composure, she cleared her throat and raised her voice so that it could be heard. "Excuse me everyone! Dinner is ready in the dining hall. If you'd all care to join me, we can have a feast in honour of my late Father!" She held her position for another moment before turning to exit the ballroom.

Just down the hallway two doubledoors opened, revealing the grand dining hall. At the head of it was a long table where the family and top honoured guests were to sit. Four other long tables were situated to give everyone ample room to eat, as well as a good view of the head table. Baskets of breads, bottles of wine and ale were spread on the tables. The smells of the pork and roasted birds were easily noticed. Servants stood waiting to tend to the guests, dressed in their finest. Myrcella took herseat at the head table in the chair that was designated for her Mother. As she waited for the others to sit, she thought long and hard on what to say in her speech. Hopefully she'd be able to do well.

Selene Avar Karl von Stehlen Llyn Von Stehlans

"Not as of yet." Selene admitted with a frown. "Though in truth, I've never been much good at making friends."

Allies? Sure. Partners? Of course.

Friends? Hardly ever. Friendship required trust, patience, and understanding. Selene carried very little of all three. Perhaps she should have used a different term with the Knight. Another small failing she would have to learn from. Another thing that she would have to improve.

Delightful.

The Dreadlord was about to open her mouth to speak when an announcement was made. Her head turned towards the dining hall and a smile touched her lips for just a moment before she turned to the Knight.

"Perhaps it's something I have to improve on." Selene told the Knight as they began to head towards the dining hall to begin their meal.

She wondered what would happen.