Fate - First Reply Blood On the Rocks[Pirates]

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Seyah

The Other Side
Character Biography
Link
The Bay of Ne'varra - Sixty Miles From Tyr

"Simone, you should have remembered the rules." Seyah said, crouching gently upon the rocky shores. The warmth of the volcanic sea lapping against her feet as tides began to roll in.

A woman sat upon her knees, the black stone of the shore digging into her flesh and spilling speckles of her blood. Behind the two women towered three Ogre's, each one dressed in fine leathers and linen, though none having any identifiers upon them save for their similar garb. They stood back quite a few paces from Seyah and Simone, their eyes firmly latched on the cliff-sides around them. Watching for any would be intruders.

"There is no business without the Orchid." She said, reaching out to grab the girls chin. Tearing her face upward so they could look one another in the eye. "Not in this Bay."

Simone softly began to weep, tears streaming down her face as she gave any number of excuses. Prattling on about her family, the starving children Seyah knew she didn't have, even trying to invoke her good will. It was desperate scrabbling for a cause, concern for her own life that she should have shown weeks ago when she'd tried to skirt the Temple Taxes. "Stop it, it's pathetic. I would have thought better of you."

Almost instantly, the tears that trailed down the girl's face stopped. Anger twisting her features as she spat on Seyah and began to swear.

"Fuck you! I'm only trying to do what you did, rise up in that shit hole of a di-" A loud snap cut off Simone's words, her neck twisting as one of the Ogre's simply grasped her head and wrenched it backwards. A small spatter of blood flickering over Seyah's face as the body crumpled limply to the floor. Yellow eyes flickering up towards the hulking tower now gripping only a head.

"Tumi." Seyah rebuked, closing her eyes as she took a deep breath. "I asked you to wait."

The mistress of the Black Orchid said with a sigh, head shaking as the massive Ogre's voice rumbled an apology. "Didn't like what she was sayin' to you, Boss. Never did. Had too much attitude."

A long sigh escaped Seyah's lips, but any heat that would have slipped across her tongue slipped away at the well meaning Ogre's apology. Tumi wasn't the smarted, but he was one of her most loyal. She could forgive the offense, if only because it was in defense of what little honor she still managed to cling to. "Very well."

"We'll simply have to make introductions to our new friends."
Seyah said, glancing out towards the bay where the longships were already heading towards the beach. The men, or women, aboard expecting Simone. "Opell, Iro, stay within the boulders. Tumi, come with me."

Seyah beckoned as she headed down towards the black sand beach of Ne'varra bay.

The Lucky Pirates as they were now being called by many in Teth were making their way towards the beach. The recent naming convention was based around their Captain Edward 'Lucky' Lorain. Of course, the crew knew the truth. Edward wasn't lucky, in fact, he was always getting them into trouble. The only luck involved was that they were all somehow not killed when they fled from some eventual group that chased them, Obviously, Edward hated the crew's disposition of him, insisting that he was in fact lucky.

That was the reason they were all the way in Tyr. Edward had insisted that he had an easy deal lined up that would make them rich and then they would be gone before anyone even realized they were there.

Edward casually lying at the back of the longship enjoying the sun above him when he heard a large groan come from the collective crew. He raised an eyebrow as he sat up and moved to the front.

"What's with the sour mood, Rolf?"

The large half-orc was squinting towards the coast. "They just killed one of their own."

What? Edward snatched up the spyglass and looked closer, seeing the dead body among them. Oh shit.

He was careful not to give too much away as he flashed a smile at the men. "No problem gentlemen. The deal is still on." They had come too far not to get something out of this trip. Not to mention, the crew would be sour if he couldn't pay them all the bonuses he had promised them.

The crew was silent, they all knew he was lying. In fact, Ed was always lying. Still, as they finally made their way to the landfill, Edward stepped off the boat with all the confidence and swagger of someone who had the world at his feet.

"Pleasure to meet you all. Which one of you is Simone?"

Seyah

• Smug
Reactions: Seyah
"Regrettably." Seyah said, glancing behind herself to Tumi and then some of the others arrayed behind her. Wondering if perhaps the workmen weren't wondering the same thing her new guest was. "Simone is dead."

The expression on her face feigned sadness for half a second, but didn't linger on the moment. Not offering an explanation for her dearly departed friend, nor stating who it was that killed her. "But, worry not."

She said with a smile.

"Your bargain can remain in place." Her fingers gently threaded between one another, settling just over her abdomen. "In fact, I'm pleased to tell you you'll be making a better one."

Seyah had long ago learned that it was better to simply change the deal, than to offer. The fact was, this pirate needed someone to tell his goods in Tyr, and she was the only one he had. Their business had been sealed the moment Simone had supplanted her usual taxes. "And then, we'll talk about what you can do for me."

She finished, offering a pleasant smile.

Noticeably, several of the crewmates gave each other looks behind Edward's back. None that exactly said they were in trouble, but more so annoyed, like this always happened. As always, Edward was oblivious to it.

"Fine by me, although I will tell ya, we lost the hides passing through a storm, but we still have the brandy, sugar, lumber, and hefty amount of tobacco. Halving the price of the hide, that will be 3,000 gold pieces."

Edward could care less who he was doing business with...Although, it always helped when the business partner was easy on the eyes. It must be his lucky day.

"As for what I can do for you, we can negotiate another contract but I was just here to smuggle some goods that would sell well here. That's it." His eyes looked over Seyah severely times before he continued. "I could be persuaded to maybe...stay one night?"

If they weren't in front of clients, the crew would have all simultaneously facepalmed.

Seyah

• Smug
Seyah smiled, seeming not at all offended by the smugglers leering eyes. Even shifting her stance so that he could get a better look. "No, I'd rather like you to leave, immediately actually."

Three thousand gold? Was that all Simone had negotiated for? Seyah chided herself internally for not teaching the girl better. There were more profits to be made in something like this, and though the goods he'd listed would fetch a hefty price...there was always more opportunity to be had.

Talmanes had taught her that. "I just need you to take a few people with you, and only go where I tell you."

"Tumi."
The taverness said with a gesture over her shoulder. The giant simpleton of an Ogre reaching onto his belt where he tugged away a leather sack. Without waiting a further second he tossed it over towards Edward and his crew. "You'll find four thousand in there."

She said, continuing the easy smile on her face. "Payment for the goods, and a down payment for your future services."

"There's another similar bag."
Seyah said, eyeing the Captain. "You'll receive it when we're done."

Sounded simple enough, and Edward was prepared to accept right then and there, but he looked back and saw one of the looks he was getting from the crew. What was that for? Oh right!

"Well, two questions before we start this trip. Where to? More importantly, are we dealing with slaves? The boys don't like dealing with slaves. Too many reminders."

It wasn't just the boys, Edward always felt a bit dirty when dealing with something like slaves. The idea of taking away someone's freedom like that just went against what little bit of morals he had. However, if the pay was good enough then may he could convince to others to put up with it just for a little bit of time.

"Four thousand? Must be quite the trip."

Seyah

• Devil
Slavery was a way of life here in Tyr. It always had been, and always would be. It was different than in other places. A year and a day was all that was required of those who served, even those brought here from far away lands, but that was enough to leave a distaste in foreigners mouths.

"No, no slaves." Seyah said with a smile, doing her very best to keep the Captain's eyes on her.

She'd already noted his propensity for following his crew. A good man, she judged, or at least one who respected those who had put him in the position he now found himself in. Seyah had no idea if that would hold, but she needed a ship, and this one was the quickest available. "Just me, and my Guards."

The Taverness said, blinking her eyes as innocently as she could.

"We need to go to the Blight." Her voice was as smooth as silk as she spoke, slipping over the fact that she was asking to be taken to one of the most dangerous places in all of Arethil. "To Mecthren."

A city that even those bold enough to pillage the Blight feared. Home of Naghi, Dread of Dragons, and son of Menalus.

Why anyone would want to go there, was a very good question.

Edward waited with mounting dread that she was about to say they were carrying slaves and then he was going to have to back out with nothing to show for it. Imagine his surprise when his luck held out. Before the others could say anything, Edwards spoke.

"Alright, sounds reasonable enough."

Another groan sounded from the crew, but Edward dismissed it with a wave. "Don't mind them. They're consummate professionals."

The casual smile on his face stood opposed to the dangerous place Seyah was asking him to go to. It was hard to tell whether Edward was confident, or just oblivious to the dangers they would be sailing into.

"We'll wait for you to gather your people and then we will get you all out to the Siren and on our way."

Seyah

• Smug
Seyah wasn't entirely sure if she had just hired a man brave enough to be standing among heroes like Techlet, or a fool who should be condemned along with the rest of the Fallen.

In the end though, it mattered very little. "I'm sure they are."

The Taverness said in agreement, offering her new temporary business partner only a flash of a smile. Eyes darting from him to the crew which still stood arrayed behind him. Inwardly, she reminded herself to speak to a few of them, if only to get the reading on this 'Captain Lorraine'.

Gently reaching up, Seyah placed two fingers between her lips. An impeccably loud whistle ringing out within the bay as she called the two Ogre's she had earlier sent away. Within short order both of them shambled down the mountainside. One clutching a pack over his shoulder, the other bearing only a sword as massive as a man.

"No need to wait." She said with a smile. "Though we may need to make several trips in your longships."

The Taverness mused. "Ogre's are quite heavy."

"Excellent, I'll take one of the big lads over first. Then you, and then the last one. Apologies if the accommodations are not to your liking. We did not plan on having guests."

The crew quickly moved preparing the longships. Edward wanted to get back on his own ship as quickly as possible where he felt far safer with such new comings.

Ed quickly leaned into Rolf and whispered, "Think you could take one?"

His only response was, "Please don't say that too loud." That caused a laugh to escape Ed's lips before he straightened up, moving to board the longship.

The crew for all of this lackadaisical nature was quick and efficient when it came to action. Edward beckoned for one of the big orcs to come aboard.

Seyah

• Smug
Tumi, Trarig, and Vazur quickly made their way to the longboats. None of the three Ogre's said much of anything to the newly hired smugglers, though their expressions were dour enough to signal why. None appeared to be conversationalists.

Unlike their Mistress. "You'll have to excuse them."

Seyah said as she was aided into the final longboat alongside Vazur. The heavy weight of the Ogre meaning it's complement of twelve men, was reduced to only six. Though it also helped that he could row the entire thing by himself.

"They're of the Deathwatch, you see." She said with a smile, gently sitting herself down as they began their journey from the shore to the Siren out in the bay. "Formerly, anyway."

She added with a small smile. Edward, of course, would know the name of the famed Guard of Tyr. They were a military, Royal Guard and police force all mixed into one. Exactly the sort of people that smugglers tended to avoid. "That sort of life breeds a certain dourness, isn't that right Vazur?"

Seyah asked, though the Ogre only grunted. Bringing forth a mirthful chuckle from the Taverness' lips.

"I'm sure the journey will make us all fast friends." She offered, as though the situation were perfectly normal.

Not all of the men had heard of the Deathwatch, but even they understood what a name like 'Deathwatch' implied. They all grew a bit more stoic, but Edward just nodded along with Seyah. He was watching the ogre closely like he expected to get thrown overboard at any moment.

"I hope you're right. The Deathwatch aren't exactly fans of my kind. Never had the luck to watch them at work but their reputation proceeds them...How'd you convince three of them to work for you?"

A wiry-looking sailor moved to get up and sit further away from the ogre, but a shake of Edward's head sat him back down. With such a heavy load on the longship, they needed to maintain a good balance on the ship. Frick would just have to put up with being a little scared.

"A suggestion for your guard, when we move to the ship, they need to stay still while you and most of the crew get off. Then he will come aboard. It will limit any accidents."

Edward was choosing to focus his mind on his work to avoid a growing worry in his mind. Three former Deathwatch would be on his boat, and they could probably handle the entire crew if they chose to. Ed's crew were all incredible sailors and several were decent in a fight but in a head-up engagement...well they were not the type of crew.

Seyah

• Frog Cute
Seyah let out a laugh as Edward spoke of the Death Watch not being a friend of his ‘kind’. The mirth in her voice not at all mocking, but instead roiling free as though he had told an amusing joke. Though she found herself wondering if the Captain had any idea of whom he was allowing to step aboard his vessel. ”They were disgraced.”

Vazur seemed to frown ever so slightly, as Seyah explained, though it was difficult to tell if that was simply due to Edward's warning regarding weight.

”Among Tyrian's you see, the spilling of Blood is seen as a vulgar thing.” For good reason, of course. Blood was a connection to the soul, and Tyrian's could read the crimson vitae of a person like no other being. A droplet of someone's blood was a precious thing to one of their people, even more so to the Blood Witches. ”The Deathwatch are given greater liberties, due to their duties, but Vazur and his compatriots committed a sin that even their patrons could not forgive.”

She mused for a moment, staring at her Ogre compatriot before letting her gaze draw back to Edward. ”They tortured a Prince of the Blood, a title given only to the sons and daughters of Kings.”

Seyah smiled as they slowly came alongside Edward's ship, Vazur not moving as the Taverness finished her story and he waited for the Captains go ahead.

”The man was guilty, and it was through his blood that the crime was confirmed.” A pitying looked crossed her features. ”But the law was broken, and even the Deathwatch are not immune from it. Thus Vazur and his companions were cast out and shamed. Thrown to the streets, where I found them.”

The story was entirely true, though excluded some of the details. Like how she had been the one to lead the three Ogre's to the Prince, how she had supplied information, tools, and ultimately read the Blood which had been given to her. Facts which Edward did not need to know, nor would truly understand.

Above, a call went out, and shortly after the longship was loosely tied to the Siren. Seyah and the others climbing up first, while Vazur shifted his weight so as to not capsize the boat. A short order later, the Taverness stepped onto the ship. ”Ah, a lovely vessel, Captain.”

She complemented, though truthfully knowing very little about boats.

”Is she fast?” The Taverness asked, curiosity piquing her tone.

The mood on the longship only grew more dower as the story was told. Many of the crew understood what it was like to be outcasted as criminals. However, their outcast from society was far less...formal. Everyone was silent until the longship finally came up beside the Siren.

A smile split onto Ed's face as he motioned for Seyah and several of the crew to board the boat.

"They will fit in right along with us. We are called disgraces all the time."

With only the ogre and four of the crew left on board, Edward had the ogre board using the others to provide the counterbalance. While Edward was busy making sure the big guy made it aboard, Seyah asked her question causing nearby sailors to laugh.

"Aye, ma'am, she's the fastest. Blessed by the sea she is."

Edward largely ignored that remark as he stepped over to join them. With everyone on board, the ship was suddenly alight with movement as they were getting underway.

"She'll get you where you want to go, and on time."

Seyah

• Smug
Seyah let out another musical chuckle at Edward's words, her head shaking somewhat as she quipped. "Then I remain in excellent company."

The Taverness trilled before shaking her head, hand flickering ever so slightly in a sign towards the two Ogres already on board. Both of them relaxing somewhat, tension melting away from muscles which had been ready to break anything closeb by in case anything were to happen.

"Excellent." She mused. "Then I think it best we be underway, no?"

It would be better to be there sooner rather than later. The Dread of Dragons was not generally someone to be kept waiting, and it had been extremely difficult to get a meeting.

Plus, there was the fact that his brothers would likely try to stop them. Not that Edward needed to know that yet.

Edward nodded in confirmation as he began to shout out more orders. He could feel the ship moving underneath their feet as he made his way over to the wheel. Just the slightest touch of the wheel made his smile drop ever so slightly. He could feel just a bit more drag in the movements, that was undoubtedly from the unforeseen added weight of their new guests.

While it would not matter in a simple trip, he would need to be more aware of the weight if they ran into trouble. The turns would not be as tight and they would not cut through the waves as easy as he was use to.

"Caladog, show the lady her quarters. Unfortunately, my new large friends, you may want to stay up on deck. It gets pretty cramped down there."
Adding the last part for the ogres.

Seyah

• Smug
"Oh, that's alright, the boys don't mind sleeping rough." Meaning, they didn't mind keeping their eye on things.

Tumi would hate to be parted from her. He had taken a particular sort of care to ensuring her safety, but she could practically feel the blood within this vessel. Nearly every sailor aboard had speckled their crimson within the make-up of the ship, and that would be enough for her if any of them tried anything.

"Please do hurry, Captain." Seyah said with a smile as she followed behind the man known as Caladog. "There's an appointment to keep."

She offered him a wink. "And it would be very upsetting for me to miss it."

The Taverness said as she disappeared beneath the decks.

Edward rolled his eyes as his mind turned to the task at hand, the ship was moving quickly enough, but as soon as they reached a certain distance from the land the sails caught some strong gust of wind and the ship really got moving.

A smirk graced Ed's face as he mumbled under his breath, "Thanks."

The pirate had been called a liar for most of his life, but he was telling the truth when it came to one thing. This ship was fast. It helped that the crew did seem to be an excellent set of sailors, all working in near-perfect tandem. It did not take long before the entire crew began to sing one of the sea shanties as each member fell into their rhythm.

Seyah was led to a modest little room towards the back of the ship. Possibly the second largest of the rooms, but it was clear that it was now used as an extra storage room. Edward had convinced the crew to leave this room open in case they had an important guest on board. Truthfully, he just wanted to avoid all of them fighting over the space.

"If ya need anything else ma'am then find me or go ask the Captain."

Seyah

• Bless
"Oh, I most certainly will." Seyah said with a smile, slowly pacing around the small cabin that was now hers.

It was certainly not the lap of luxury, especially not compared to her own accommodations in the Black Orchid, but she had slept in far worse places. In her early years the gutters of Tyr had been her home, after her mothers passing she'd never had much choice. "Oh."

She said, her lips pursing as she turned around and caught Caladog's attention.

"A question before you go." The Taverness mused. "Your Captain seems quite the personality."

That was putting it lightly. "May I ask what has earned him his position?"

Every pirate and smuggler had a story behind their title. A way that they had found themselves in the place of 'Captain'. Seyah wondered about Edward's. The man seemed eclectic to say the least, but his men were loyal. At least enough for them to allow him to lead them into the blightlands.

Caladog paused for a moment wondering if he should be giving away his Captain's story, but eventually, he just shrugged the concern away. It wasn't like it was all some big secret or something.

"Ed's a strange one. A skilled sailor for sure, maybe one of the best. One of the youngest pirate captains of Teth. Not imposing in the slightest, not brave, or even the smartest lad, but...Ed just wins. No one is sure how he does it, but he succeeds when all indications should say otherwise, usually a little worse off but he wins and survives. To us, those are the two most important parts...He is a handful, but the crew keeps him in check when he goes overboard."

The crew always understood that Ed was going to get them into trouble somehow, but they also knew that if they could put up with the trouble then the payoffs were usually worth all of it.

Seyah