Fate - First Reply Blades Crossed

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
Eberwolf had been chasing this damned necromancer for weeks, her necromancy had resulted in the total destruction of two villages in his home country and she had turned his people into undead puppets, humans or necromanced eldritch horrors that were basically a number of charred human pieces put together and animated. She had to be dragged back into prison or killed, either was fine with him.

He arrived in the cute little village because that was where Kerberos had tracked her. It was dawn, he hadn’t slept for two days but it didn’t bother him, he could sleep that night if they didn’t catch her, then resume their tireless chase. He started asking the villagers if they had seen her, explaining that she was a fugitive, most were suspicious and didn’t answer, saying instead to leave their village out of his hunt. But it proved unnecessary, as Kerberos, his horse sized three headed dog, growled, all three of his heads facing one direction. Looking in the same direction he saw her, his target, hiding.

He pushed through the crowd, his dog following him. She was going back to the dungeons in Castle Kinniger, or die.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Christian Vide
"But who will you be fighting? The people hunting you?”
That was sharp, she's more perceptive than he thought. How much did she really know?
Reevaluating the situation, a fight in the middle of the crowd would no doubt result in collateral damage of innocents, and there's no logical reason for any of them to die.
He glanced sideways at her, hiding was pointless now, "It seems to be quite the coincidence that both of our demons arrived on the same day."

The knight had spotted his quarry and was making his way through the crowd towards their position. He could see the eyes of the strangers locking on him as well, being the only young male roughly fitting his description given by The Family when they put out the contract on his head.

But the crowd was fairly deep, so they had a moment before the knight reached them.
He stared evenly ahead without a flinch or tensing of his muscles at their approaching enemies.
"Enter a contract with me. Do that and I am bound by sacred oath to fulfill your wish. I will help you escape this village alive and safe and see to your safe arrival at the next village"

A fight was unavoidable at this point, but escape was still very much a viable option from where he stood.

"Enter a contract with me. Do that and I am bound by sacred oath to fulfill your wish. I will help you escape this village alive and safe and see to your safe arrival at the next village"

“And what can I possibly offer you in return? My underwear? I have nothing to give you that would be worth your help. And from what little I know of you, you won’t give it to me out of the goodness of your heart. No, I need to go.”

She turned around only to be faced by the three headed dog, which had gone around, it’s huge size having given the crowd motivation to move out of the way. And had gone around the building to block her escape. She stumbled back, afraid and fell back. She was done for unless Bruce intervened.

• Dwarf
“And what can I possibly offer you in return? My underwear? I have nothing to give you that would be worth your help. And from what little I know of you, you won’t give it to me out of the goodness of your heart. No, I need to go.”
From what she knew of him? That he would fix a widows roof, that he made breakfast for the both of them and offered to take her to the gear shop, that he gives people a hand and has been an asset to this village?
Granted, he didn't offer her a more comfortable place to stay... But that was an odd thing to say.
But there wasn't time for a response, the hound made good time and had cut off their first avenue of escape, which was back the way they came. Forward wasn't an option since the knight was almost to the entrance of the alley.

But more immediately the growling three headed dog was about to attack Keia, it's six ears flattened against its skulls and its haunches tensing.
He wasn't in danger, so he technically didn't have to do anything. But it was pointless for Keia to die, illogical for him to stand by and allow it when he is more than capable of preventing it.

There wasn't even a moment of hesitation as he went into action.
He grabbed her by the back of her shirt and yanked her back and on her feet just as the three heads lunged forward to dismember her. He made a throwing motion and a white cloud exploded in their collective faces, the cloud continued to grow till it enveloped them both and began spilling out into the street.
Hands moved her through the obscuring smoke and moved her arms to wrap around strong shoulders.
A sense of weightlessness and then an up and down motion of climbing, and suddenly they were out of the smoke and climbing on top of the roof of the building beside them.

Quickly pulling them up he extracted himself from her arms before rapidly prying up wooden shingles from the roof and splitting them into sharp shives, he began thrusting the splinters in various spots in his clothing. His voice remained conversational like it had all morning.
"I won't ask for your soul, if that's what you're wondering. If you want my help you will find a way to pay me back after we escape. If not and you think you can handle this yourself, I wish you well."

He glanced over the edge at the crowd. The strangers were bolting towards where they disappeared, blades appeared in their hands and they were expertly weaving between the people and vanishing one by one into the smoke cloud.
"But decide now."

As one who uses magic she may detect the smoke was a magical illusion.

She was certain that it was over, then the man that she had thought to only want her gone saved her, even though he had no reason to. The smoke seemed surreal in some way, only clouding vision, a dog’s nose would be far more difficult to fool, but it did buy them time, because the huge hound had lunged at her, it’s nose striking the dirt and clogging it’s noses, leaving her and him with some precious extra time, but it was clearly of a magical nature as it didn’t seem extremely real.

“Thanks, I had thought that you only wanted me gone, I misjudged you. I’m sorry.” She said, recovering her breath. “I hope you can forgive me for that.”

"I won't ask for your soul, if that's what you're wondering. If you want my help you will find a way to pay me back after we escape. If not and you think you can handle this yourself, I wish you well."

She considered for a moment. “Alright. I’ll do whatever I need to to repay you when you call for it.”

• Cheer
“Alright. I’ll do whatever I need to to repay you when you call for it.”
That was all he needed. He finished arming himself with the flimsy weapons and then took her by the hand. Heading across the roof at a quick jogging pace he kept talking, "It's exactly ten feet to the next roof, can you make that jump? If not I can carry you.
Last night you said that you were a magic user, do you know any spells that will help us right now?"

This whole time his face was completely dead, no motion or emotion to speak of except his mouth and eyes, his face didn't match his carefully practiced tone of concerned companion.

"Once we reach the woods we'll have a better chance of losing our pursuers, but an equally high probability of being ambushed. If we travel through the trees and take all the necessary precautions we can avoid being caught in the open and even shake the hound off our trail."
Two assassins suddenly leapt out of the cloud above the edge of the roof where they just were, soon more would follow as the two landed and ran after them daggers poised to strike.

"It's exactly ten feet to the next roof, can you make that jump? If not I can carry you.
Last night you said that you were a magic user, do you know any spells that will help us right now?"

“I can’t jump that far no. And while I do know some good spells, I don’t have enough energy to use them, my running from that knight has taken all of it. The most I can conjure is a small fireball that both the knight and dog would just shrug off. If we have a lot of dry tinder or something that might catch fire we mightn’t be able to hold them off, but you wouldn’t need approved of that in this village.”

"Once we reach the woods we'll have a better chance of losing our pursuers, but an equally high probability of being ambushed. If we travel through the trees and take all the necessary precautions we can avoid being caught in the open and even shake the hound off our trail."

“I hope so, but don’t underestimate them, they’ve recently finished a war against vampires, I mean armies of them. They are not to be taken lightly, and definitely not easily shaken.” She warned him.

“I can’t jump that far no. And while I do know some good spells, I don’t have enough energy to use them, my running from that knight has taken all of it. The most I can conjure is a small fireball that both the knight and dog would just shrug off. If we have a lot of dry tinder or something that might catch fire we mightn’t be able to hold them off, but you wouldn’t need approved of that in this village.”
"Then get on my back, now."
With that he turned to face the approaching assassins, he drew two of the wood splinters but an illusion turned them into throwing knives, he sent the blades flying at the two and the assassins dodged to the sides to avoid them, which also slowed them down. He kept throwing until Keia was in position.

“I hope so, but don’t underestimate them, they’ve recently finished a war against vampires, I mean armies of them. They are not to be taken lightly, and definitely not easily shaken.”
Vampires, nothing to scoff at. But he's been doing this his whole life and was claimed by his family as the best.
"Noted. I won't underestimate them."

• Yay
Reactions: Keia Merrenia
"Then get on my back, now."
With that he turned to face the approaching assassins, he drew two of the wood splinters but an illusion turned them into throwing knives, he sent the blades flying at the two and the assassins dodged to the sides to avoid slowed them down. He kept throwing until Keia was in position.

She moved quickly to obey, unsure of how he was able to do this. Then she saw him hurl knives, also illusions, at their pursuers, with great skill no less. Once she was on his back they were on the next roof, and his skill was brought even more to light.

"Noted. I won't underestimate them."

That did little to reassure her, despite his obvious skill, this white knight had a great deal of skill himself, skill she had seen in action. And he had a huge dog large enough, and definitely strong enough, for him to ride like a horse. A big problem for them.

• Popcorn
As soon as she was securely on his back he turned and leapt the full distance across the rooftops and landed running, or more like sprinting, her weight hardly an inconvenience. He kept running, heading towards the next roof as well. The assassins followed close behind, and more were climbing up to join the chase.
"If you have a little magic left, do you think you could light the next roof ahead of us on fire? Try to time it so we don't get singed, we'll run right through it."
If/When she does the resulting fire erupts like a huge inferno, falsely enhanced by his illusion magic to make her spell seem more powerful.

They were running across the rooftops and the forest edge was in sight, there was a house that went right up close to the edge where they can jump for the trees, if they make it that far.
He was actually surprised at how light she was, like he was carrying a kid. Then again she did seem to not possess a lot of mass to begin with... When he actually thought about it, she was both light AND short, if not for her obvious maturity he might have taken her for a kid, at least maybe a halfling at this point. It made him feel like a giant in comparison.

He picked up a slight whistling sound and jerked them both to the right, a long dagger flew past and stuck into the roof. A foolish move, if they actually knew who he was they wouldn't have made such a rookie mistake, or perhaps they were simply amateurs hoping to get recognition for taking down a big target.
He snatched up the dagger before he leapt for the next roof.

"If you have a little magic left, do you think you could light the next roof ahead of us on fire? Try to time it so we don't get singed, we'll run right through it."

She didn’t respond with words, she simply obeyed. She, as they leapt onto the roof and approached the other side, lit with magic the center of the roof alight. The fire was much bigger than she had anticipated, another illusion doubtless.

While she wasn’t as small as a halfling, nor a child, she was small compared to most others, though mostly thinner, she was about as tall as a woman in early adolescence. It was a little offensive to be seen as the size of a halfling, and offended she’d have been had he said so aloud.

• Popcorn
The fire created a momentary screen for their movements and Bruce took advantage of it. In the split moment before the assassins boldly charged through the flames themselves Bruce veered to the right and dropped over the side of the roof. He clung to the edge for a moment before dropping down to a window sill and then the rest of the way to the ground.
They would figure it out in seconds, but it bought them time and he used it to put more distance between them and their pursuers and to close the distance between them and the shelter of the forest.

It wasn't long before he realized his mistake. As he wove between houses his ears picked up the distinct sound of heavy paws on the dirt path somewhere in the maze behind them.
They traded one pursuer for another, but they were almost free of the village so he didn't dare to stop or slow down.
What he did do was start throwing his wooden shives into the dirt and providing a painful path to the unprotected paws of their three headed tracker.
He threw the last of the shives just as they finally broke free of the village.

A high palisade wall separated them from freedom, but Bruce began scaling it just as easily as he did the side of the buildings. As they reached the top of the wall they could look back and see over the tops of the roofs, the fire was spreading but the villagers could handle it. The assassins spotted them but it was too late, Bruce was already climbing down the other side and bolting for the safety of the trees.

He was silent as they ran, saying nothing and betraying nothing through his expressions or body language.

The dog seemed unfazed by the shivs, having torn through bones before they were tough despite being unprotected. And the dog was just as determined as the assassins. Lucky for them it couldn’t climb so easily. They’d hear it barking after them, then a sharp whistle, the knight had called for his hound. They were safe momentarily, at least from that juggernaut.

“Thank you for this. I’ll stay with you until my debt is paid, then I’ll leave, and you won’t have to deal with the dog and the knight.” She said, thanking him genuinely. “Can you, put me down?”

• Sip
“Thank you for this. I’ll stay with you until my debt is paid, then I’ll leave, and you won’t have to deal with the dog and the knight.”

“Can you, put me down?”
"We're not safe yet. The assassins will be over the wall in moments, we need to put as much distance between us and them as possible and get into the trees at the earliest opportunity. I'll set you down when we've reached the stream."
He stuck the dagger in his belt, with his hands free he was finally able to support her properly by holding her legs so that all her weight wasn't on his neck and shoulders.
He ran through the woods at a quick pace, his long stride carrying them quickly along an unseen path.

The sun was still climbing in the sky as the morning dragged on. While they traveled there was no signs of pursuit, but that didn't cause Bruce to slow down in the least.
It was noon by the time they reached the stream and he lowered Keia to her feet.
He sat down and leaned against the trunk of a great oak while the stream gently bubbled before them.
"We'll rest here for a moment. This is where our scent will be lost and the dog and its master will be hard pressed to find our trail again."

She nodded her understanding. His gripping her by her legs, her thighs specifically, brought a blush to her face since they were mostly bare. Normally she wouldn’t be flustered, and she might even give some flirting teases, but not this time, he just wasn’t the kind of guy that made her want to flirt, so clearly in control and not caring what he had to do. It was a new feeling for her.

They rested by the stream. And she listened, she wasn’t so sure. “If the dog can’t track us the assassins might. And he may just enter a contract with them for mutual help, if that’s the case we have a united enemy.”

• Sip
“If the dog can’t track us the assassins might. And he may just enter a contract with them for mutual help, if that’s the case we have a united enemy.”
He nodded, "A valid point. But these assassins are amateurs. They found me because my cover had decayed, I became well known and respected in that village to the point that a physical description could reach the ears of one of their informants. They won't find me again, and you by extension."
He dug around in the roots of the tree till he found what he was looking for. He withdrew a wooden box and pried the lid open with the assassins dagger.
He withdrew some articles of clothing, a canteen of his own, several belts and body straps full of throwing knives, a utility belt, a belt with two sheathed daggers, a long black traveling coat, and a black cloak.
He tossed her one of his shirts and the cloak.
"That will help mask your scent. Refill your canteen in the stream and get ready. We'll move again soon."

He began strapping the belts and daggers to his body in places where he could reach them easily and quickly and then covered them with the long coat.
He had left this stash here in anticipation of a situation like this where his cover was blown and he was forced to leave.
He took out a tiny vile from a pouch and handed it to Keia. "We'll travel downstream for a while, that should throw them off. Once we get out of the water rub that on your feet, it will remove and scent left behind in your tracks and the dog won't be able to detect you."

Keia Merrenia

Last edited:
  • Cheer
He nodded, "A valid point. But these assassins are amateurs. They found me because my cover had decayed, I became well known and respected in that village to the point that a physical description could reach the ears of one of their informants. They won't find me again, and you by extension."

“Will they not send more experienced assassins to hunt you? I don’t doubt your skill, at least not anymore, but Will they not send others who are more likely to succeed?” She asked concerned. They were a lone assassin against a group of assassins, and a powerless necromancer running from a huge knight who not only had a three headed dog but ultimately overthrew a nation of vampires, beating one of their general’s skull into powder. No matter how much skill he had, she would always worry that they would keep up with them. Catch them, then kill them.

He withdrew some articles of clothing, a canteen of his own, several belts and body straps full of throwing knives, a utility belt, a belt with two sheathed daggers, a long black traveling coat, and a black cloak.
He tossed her one of his shirts and the cloak.
"That will help mask your scent. Refill your canteen in the stream and get ready. We'll move again soon."

She put the things on, even though the shirt was way too big for her and the cloak dragged on the ground, and could easily snag. She watched him equip the knives and suddenly felt a lot safer and a lot more concerned that he’d decide she was a nuisance at the same time. “Makes sense.”

She obeyed, and filled her canteen. If only she had been near someone who was dying, then she’d be able to harvest their life force and get some magic for defense.

. "We'll travel downstream for a while, that should throw them off. Once we get out of the water rub that on your feet, it will remove and scent left behind in your tracks and the dog won't be able to detect you."

She took the vial, and nodded. “Lead the way.”

• Bless
“Will they not send more experienced assassins to hunt you? I don’t doubt your skill, at least not anymore, but Will they not send others who are more likely to succeed?”
"They will once these assassins fail, whether they return empty handed or disappear entirely. But the point is that it will take days at least before they send any more competent assassins."
He didn't want to go too much into the details. She didn't need to know about the massive bounty on his own head and the glory that would go to the one who finally killed him.
He doubted that these assassins would give up so easily with such a reward within their grasp.
She probably guessed that he's an assassin or an agent of some kind by this point, but he needn't confirm any suspicions she might or might not have.

“Lead the way.”
Before they took off he adjusted the cloak, tying it up to shorten it and tying the corners around her ankles. He stood up and scanned her face for a moment, purposely trying to determine her current state of mind with his penetrating yet emotionless gaze, if she were scared or panicking in any way that he would have to adjust accordingly. Finally putting the hood over her head he took her by the hand and stepped into the stream.
The water was quick moving but only came up to their shins, so any sign of their passage was quickly washed away.
"Stay close and do what I do, step where I step."

Before they took off he adjusted the cloak, tying it up to shorten it and tying the corners around her ankles. He stood up and scanned her face for a moment, purposely trying to determine her current state of mind with his penetrating yet emotionless gaze, if she were scared or panicking in any way that he would have to adjust accordingly. Finally putting the hood over her head he took her by the hand and stepped into the stream.
The water was quick moving but only came up to their shins, so any sign of their passage was quickly washed away.
"Stay close and do what I do, step where I step."

The cloak was adjusted, and while definitely better, it was simply too big to be fitted perfectly. She would have some small measure of fear, but she’d have control over it. She was afraid, but she had a grip on it and wouldn’t let it influence her to any significant degree. She obeyed, and followed his footsteps perfectly, being very careful to follow him precisely. Unbeknownst to either of them, a small amount of green thread would be left on a bush behind them, leading into the river.

(Just to let them be on their trail, no fun if there’s no chase. They’ll be a ways behind though.)

• Cheer
I figured they'd be hot on their trail anyways. Traveling downstream would be the only option once they confirmed that they didn't simply cross, then they would be trying to find where they leave the stream.

Good, she had her head on straight, he wouldn't need to worry about her slipping up and giving them away. Admirable trait uncommon in magic users by his experience.
He led her by the hand downstream for a good distance, occasionally they would leave the stream for a minute to create false exit trails before returning to their water treck.

After about an hour the stream widened from a four foot stream to a ten foot Creek and the water deepened to knee deep for Bruce. If it became too difficult then he would carry her on his back again, but for now they went on at the same pace.

(Thanks, just making sure that I wasn’t actively opposing what you were trying to do.)

She watched him closely and observed what he did. The false exit trails would be useful indeed. She was under no illusions that he’d be with her long. Once their contract had been fulfilled, and what he’d ask for worried her, as she had very little to give aside for her services, which were currently without magic, or herself, which she’d be willing to give but it was a bit of a risk, if she ended up with child repaying him, then she’d be in a lot of trouble. But that wasn’t an immediate concern.

The stream became a creek, and his knees were as high as the water, she was in just a bit above her knees. She was small, but she wasn’t that small. She was just a little below average is all. She remained silent and attentive, trying to learn or at least get an idea of how he was doing what he was doing, and how she might copy or at least mimic him later. If only there was something that was dying nearby!

“Your name isn’t Bruce.” She stated. “What is it?”

• Wonder
“Your name isn’t Bruce.”
“What is it?”
He stopped for a moment and turned to look at her. He had no reason to tell her, he was just going to get her to the next village alive and that would be it... Right?
"... I don't remember anymore... I've had so many I don't remember which one was my real name."
He turned away and kept walking.
That was illogical, why did he reveal that information? it wasn't useful in any way then why did she want to know?
"... Bruce will do just fine..."

After another half hour of travel he would stop and listen. There was a splash up ahead, soon followed by another and sounded like something large was moving upstream towards them.
His voice was a whisper, "We're leaving the stream, now."
And he led her to the right bank and quickly pulled her down underneath him in the bushes before laying down protectively over her. He whispered again, "Be quiet, and try not to breath..."

As they waited a huge green skinned creature rounded the bend. It was hideous, an obscenely long nose, black greasy matted hair, warts and bumps all over its sickly green rubbery flesh, evil red eyes under a deep ugly brow, and the distinct smell of blood and rotting fish.
Bruce worked an illusion to mask their scent from its keen senses.
It sniffed loudly as it walked past their hiding post, trying to pick up the scent he caught earlier.

He cast another illusion, making the troll look like the two of them traveling back the way they came... For the sake of their pursuers.
Once it was out of sight he let out a slow breath, "A troll... That should give them quite a surprise... And give us an even greater head start."
He was about to get up off of her, but he hesitated. With the smell of the troll gone he finally took note of her own scent, and it was rather pleasing.
He stared at her and blatantly sniffed her hair. He wasn't at all subtle when he felt there was no reason to be.
"You smell nice. I like it."
With that simple statement he got up and helped her to her feet as well.

• Yay
"... I don't remember anymore... I've had so many I don't remember which one was my real name."
He turned away and kept walking.
That was illogical, why did he reveal that information? it wasn't useful in any way then why did she want to know?
"... Bruce will do just fine..."

“I’m sorry to hear that. So then, Bruce, a good name.” She said, a little saddened. A name was more than a label, it was who you were. The name was what brought to mind your personality, your life and the things you’ve effected. It was who you were. Something too precious to loose.

After another half hour of travel he would stop and listen. There was a splash up ahead, soon followed by another and sounded like something large was moving upstream towards them.
His voice was a whisper, "We're leaving the stream, now."
And he led her to the right bank and quickly pulled her down underneath him in the bushes before laying down protectively over her. He whispered again, "Be quiet, and try not to breath..."

She heard it too, and she could smell it. But he was faster to react, and brought her into the brush, where she laid facedown to hide, and he held himself above her. She was told to stay silent and hold her breath. She obeyed and stayed silent, just in time for a troll to pass. Her heartbeat skyrocketed, if she had her usual amount of magic she’d be able to handle a troll with some difficulty, but now she was pretty powerless, and a dinky little knit wouldn’t do anything to a troll. So she stayed silent.

He cast another illusion, making the troll look like the two of them traveling back the way they came... For the sake of their pursuers.
Once it was out of sight he let out a slow breath, "A troll... That should give them quite a surprise... And give us an even greater head start."

She noticed the illusion, and she hoped that it was good enough. It proved to be so. She sighed in relief. “But how long will it stall them for?”

He was about to get up off of her, but he hesitated. With the smell of the troll gone he finally took note of her own scent, and it was rather pleasing.
He stared at her and blatantly sniffed her hair. He wasn't at all subtle when he felt there was no reason to be.
"You smell nice. I like it."
With that simple statement he got up and helped her to her feet as well.

She rolled her eyes with an embarrassed smile and got to her feet. “Thanks.”

• Bless
“But how long will it stall them for?”
"If they fall for it it might take out two or three of them. That Cerberus and the knight might be able to kill it, but the assassins won't be ready for it. I'd say we've bought another hour head start by sending it upstream."

“Thanks.”
She smiled? Well, he did just compliment her, but he didn't think that much of it, more like a statement of fact really. She smelled nice, not much else to it... At least logically speaking... Right?
This wasn't like him.
"Let's leave the stream here and start heading through the woods. If the troll didn't see our tracks leaving the stream then the assassins will definitely have a hard time finding us. Rub that potion on your feet and we'll get going."
He also produced another potion and rubbed the substance on the bottoms of his boots. As soon as she was ready he took her by the hand again and led the way through the thick forest, following game trails as much as possible and avoiding open areas.

He also had to admit that he liked the feel of her hand in his. He normally didn't feel anything, and he couldn't tell if he felt anything now, but he couldn't explain why he was so protective of her.

• Wonder