Private Tales Beyond the Veil

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
He didn't answer and she couldn't bear the look on his face, couldn't stand to look him in the eye. She wanted to wipe away the filth and blood from his face, to kiss him until that look of fear left him. But the thought of touching him, or being anywhere near him shook her. Without another word, she backed into the hall and walked away, following Kitty as she led her elsewhere.

Her body felt like someone else's; there was a disconnect between the roiling sea of her thoughts and the legs that carried her to the blue room. She listened to Kitty in silence, watched her put the talisman on the chest at the foot of the bed and didn't take her eyes off of it until her hostess left. She didn't thank her, didn't say anything at all. Her throat was tight, whether from the onslaught of tears or to be sick, she wasn't certain.

When she was finally alone, she looked back at the folded cloth that she knew held the doll. Without touching it she extinguished all but one candle by the bed, then laid down. For a long time, she simply stared at the folded cloth, trying to make sense of what was happening. This morning things had been fine. They had been better than fine. She had been hopeful, happy, and Joseph had been, too. But now... Apparently, she was some sort sadistic, and Joseph was a fae-killing magick thief.

The thought made her stomach turn, and she buried her face in the duvet. She had trusted him. Had this all been some sort of ruse? Was she so naive that she had trusted someone dangerous? She knew the answer to that; the memories of Saturninus and the clurichaun dogged her. But he'd made it feel so real, like he'd meant all the things they'd been through. Or had she just been so lonely and stupid that she hadn't seen a wolf in sheep's clothing?

She fought back the tears that threatened to break through her, clenching her teeth and refusing to give in. She stood suddenly and picked up the kerchief. She carried it to the window. The moonlight wasn't much, but it was all she needed with her keen sight. She unfolded the cloth carefully to stare at the wooden figure. What did it mean?

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph loved her. He wanted to tell her everything. He was curled up in the servant's quarters wearing a robe, and drinking hot tea. He was fairly certain that if he wasn't Shuck....Mal's...property, they never would have treated him this nicely. If archly informing him he couldn't lay on the floor anymore was any hint of kindness. The sphynxes were treating him with a cold indifference. They hissed and spat at him, and batted at his legs. He was in the servant's quarters, which looked like the nest boxes for chickens. Each sphynx got a nice little wooden box, a thick comforter, two pillows, and a little nook in the wall for personal items.

Eventually a small grey cat came to him and looked him up and down. "It's time to go back." she said. She made sure to flick her rear in his face as she turned. Joseph stood up shakily, scratching around the gold collar at his throat.
"Don't touch that. The mistress wants to know where a fae-killer is at at all times." Violet snapped.
Joseph sighed. He wasn't sure if he wanted to see Shuck right now, or if she wanted to see him, but it seemed he didn't have a choice. He was brought up to the Blue Room and left with the door snapping sharply shut behind him. He looked at Shuck....she'd been crying. Did she think that changed anything? The way he felt about her?

He took a deep breath and went to the window to stand next to her, looking at the little wooden figure. How to explain this? How to explain any of this? It was now or never. He was on the precipice of losing her. No matter how much it hurt him, he had to tell her. "I made that, for our firstborn." he said softly. "She was holding it when I buried her."

He folded his arms, sighing and looking down at his feet. "Honestly, she never should have married me. We were stupid and young. She was going to tend sheep and I had this stupid idea of singing." His voice was barely above a whisper. "We made a lot of stupid decisions. Our first was born in a bad winter. Our second didn't make it through her first. Third, fourth, fifth....they made it. Sixth did too. We were poor but we weren't unhappy."

He swallowed thickly. "Then came a bad winter. A really bad winter. All the sheep died of disease in the summer. We had nothing to make it through. We ate the diseased ones, until Kary died from it. Then Anna and Marlena passed in the night, frozen. We got desperate. My wife couldn't get up anymore. Last two kids wouldn't speak or move. When that thing came to me and offered me a choice....I chose. Their lives for mine. The boggart laughed at me as he took them. Told me he was going to leave me to freeze to death."

Joseph was quiet for a moment. Tears were rolling down his cheeks. It was becoming harder to speak, and his tone was tight. "I destroyed him with that, and took his magic to survive." he bit his lip, hard. He didn't want to talk about it anymore. He remembered it as clear as day. Freezing and half-mad while the shadowy creature cackled at him and took life. He'd waited for it to materialize to taunt him, then hit it over and over until the shadows dissipated and blood ran thick along the floor.

The door opened, but she didn't want to look. She stared out of the window until she heard it snap shut, and only then did she turn. Wordlessly turning back to look into the night, she stood with her arms curled around herself, the doll was still in her hand. She didn't move as he came closer, in spite of the urge to step away from him once more. He stood beside her, and they were both silent for a long time. The shuck stared out into the darkness, refusing the temptation to look at him in the reflection of the glass.

When he began to speak, however, she slowly turned to look down at him, her brows drawn together harshly. He'd been married? The thought made her breath hitch, but she fought the jealousy that welled up. No, it didn't matter, she told herself. She'd had a life before her name had been stolen, it was only fair that he had had one, too. She watched him, finding it harder and harder to breathe as he went on. A knot was quickly forming in her stomach. With every breath, that knot grew heavier and heavier, until he fell quiet.

He broke, and it broke her in return. She shoved the doll onto the sill and closed the space between them, pulling him into her arms and holding him tight against her as he exorcized his demons. She sat on the floor with him, clinging to him like her embrace alone could fix what had happened. It couldn't; there was nothing she could do to fix this. But she held him anyways, needing to repair the guilt that was now a lead ball in her gut. She'd assumed the worst, rather than trusting the Joseph that she'd come to know.

"I'm so sorry," she breathed. When she couldn't take any more of it, she wiped the snot and tears from his face before kissing the top of his head. "I'm sorry I didn't trust you. I didn't even try to understand, I just... I was afraid."

She took a deep, shaky breath, biting back her own tears. "I'm so sorry," she repeated softly, burying her face in his hair.

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph held her tightly as he cried. He didn't want to think about it anymore. He'd spent months, drowning in drink and learning to master his powers. Everything was so vivid in his mind's eye. He remembered touching his wife's face and seeing her crack like the thinnest spring ice. He clung tightly to Shuck and curled against her. He tried to get ahold of himself, but the memories were too much for him. He could barely take them drunk let alone sober. He took her hand in his, gently turning his face away. He was still swollen from fighting with the redcap. He didn't think his ribs would ever feel the same again after getting such a pummeling.

He looked at the talisman. Something borne out of hate and desperation. He held onto Shuck for a little while longer, kissing her cheek and slowly getting up to get the tiny doll on the windowsill. He brought it back to their spot on the carpet, turning it over in his fingers. "I only really had the strength to fight for my family watching them die." he told her. "And I will never be weak again."

Joseph took a deep breath, and pushed the toy deep into his throat with his fingers. He retched, and bled, like any man who swallowed a chunk of wood would. He wiped away a trickle of blood on the corner of his mouth, and swallowed. It hurt. It hurt more than anything, tearing into his throat. The magic surged into him again, spreading like ice through his veins.

She was reluctant to let him pull away when he had finally finished, but wasn't willing to make him stay with her. When he took her hand she grasped it tightly and reached her free hand up to gently brush a long finger over the sharp line of his cheekbone. Her chest was tight with guilt and the agony over seeing him in pain -- physically and emotionally.

Joseph stood and fetched the doll, and she had moved to stand but he returned to sit beside her once more. A frown turned all of her features downward. She didn't know what to say; she'd never been good with words anyway, but this? Was there anything she could say to make him feel better?

The shuck looked away from him. No. She knew that nothing she could say or do would make such a loss any less painful. She had done all she could to comfort him when he was suffering, but ultimately she could only be as a balm to a burn -- making it feel better, but ultimately it was up to him to heal himself.

"Joseph--"

She forgot what she was saying, gasping sharply when she saw him swallowing the doll. "Joseph, what are you--?" But it was already too late to stop him. She waited until he stopped retching before she dared put her hands on him. He'd taken back the stolen magic. The shuck couldn't blame him, not after he'd told her why he'd stolen it.

"You need to lie down." Kitty had assured her that he wouldn't die, but she wasn't going to just take the cat's word for it. She helped Joseph stand and pushed back the blankets for him to lie down. Needing to do something, in spite of her flagging energy, she poured him some water and sat beside him, brushing the hair from his face.

"I didn't know you'd had a family," she said softly, curling a lock of hair behind his ear. "Why didn't you ever tell me?"

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph shook his head. It was supposed to hurt. It had made him cough blood for days the first time. He took sips of water, curling up with Shuck quietly. He scratched under the gold collar, uncomfortable with it. He’d felt his skin and cartilage pressed against the metal as the doll went down his throat. The cold feeling would stay for a while too, reminding him of that night in his home. He pushed the thoughts away. That had been his first time killing anything. He hadn’t been blameless before he’d had a family; he still carried around self hatred and low self esteem like millstones. He’d still had a temper but children had stilled most of it. He’d tried to do right by them.

He sighed at her question. “It was painful.” He said raspily. “It’s the past. I wasn’t happy after that winter, not until you showed up into my life. I want to forget, and start anew.” He took her hand and kissed her palm, frowning and wiping away a streak of blood he left there.

His answer wasn't very satisfying but it made sense. She nodded and looked down at their hands. With a sigh, she took the glass and pulled her hand out of his. She set down the water an walked around to the other side of the bed and silently stripped down to her shirt before crawling in with him. Snuggling close and tangling her legs with his, she laid on her side to look at him as she tucked the blankets up over him. He was cold, frighteningly so, so she wriggled closer.

"I'm sorry they put you in a collar. Kitty didn't seem to like that I wanted them to treat you the same as me." A slim finger traced the edge of the gold collar and she frowned at it as if that alone could make it go away. "She knew me. She called me Lady Malice, told me I was a 'cruel and wise mistress,' and --"

She stopped suddenly, not wanting to mention the consort. Of all the things she'd learned about her past life today, that may have been the most difficult to swallow. It wasn't out of a sense of guilt to him, because as far as she was concerned she was an entirely different person. Rather, it was because she didn't want to mention lovers right now; his heart was hurting badly enough, and she didn't want him to think she was going to leave him, too. Laying her hand on his chest, careful not to put pressure on one of the awful bruises turning his chest a startling black, she couldn't quite manage to look up at him.

"What if I'm not a nice person?" Her voice was barely a whisper. "These faeries here, they knew me before my name was taken from me. I don't like the way they treated me today. I don't like the kind of person they made it seem like I am." She struggled to swallow, remembering the snake hearts, and decided to spare him that detail as well. The shuck finally managed to look up at him.

"I don't want to be somebody else. I want to stay with you and make you happy," she admitted. "I want to be your Shuck. I want to be me."

Her voice was wobbling and she was already breathing harder. The day's events and her exhaustion were rapidly catching up to her. Her stomach felt like it was going to eat its way out of her chest cavity suddenly, but she ignored it. Her eyelids were heavy and her limbs were tired, but she ignored them, too. She was guilty and sad and afraid, and she didn't know how to process this many emotions at once.

Their entire journey suddenly felt like a mistake. As her breath hitched and the tears she'd held back earlier began to spill over, she wished she'd never left that cemetery. She knew that, if she had stayed, she would have died alone without ever knowing she was something more than a church grim. She would have never known what it felt like to be loved by him, and he would have likely gone to an early grave without the opportunity to love her. Still, as her feelings converged into one ugly mess, it felt like a mercy in comparison to the future so close to them now.

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph shivered and cuddled with her, tucking his body close to hers. He was starting to regain some of his warmth, and he could feel his old magic spreading inside of him. It had been such an odd and frightening thing to lose it, even for a few hours. It reminded him of how vulnerable they truly were. Well, perhaps not Shuck after what he’d seen in the larger suite. Either way, he didn’t think he’d be using his magic again here...it had gone haywire once.

He turned his head to kiss her hand at the mention of the collar. “I guess it shows I’m owned?” He smirked, looking down at it. “Fae and humans definitely aren’t equal here. The staff has gone from ignoring me to being downright hostile.”

He put his hand on her cheek and kissed her. “You are who you choose to be. You aren’t evil. You might have been terrible and cruel before but you don’t need to be so now. You’re my Shuck. I love you the way you are, but we have to go on. We have to find your name. I won’t let you fade away. You’re all I have.” He pulled her close when he saw her eyes and how she trembled. He kissed the top of her head and nuzzled her, stroking his fingers through her hair.

He laid there, quiet for a moment, letting her expel her emotion. It couldn’t have been easy for her. “We’ll rest here a few days. They treat you like a goddess and you’re learning a lot. If we’re going to walk into a trap I’d rather know now.” He told her quietly. “I love you. Don’t worry about how they treat me. You’ve got to replenish yourself, and learn who you were.” He said quietly.

He thought of the ring. It was almost ready. When it was, he’d propose to her. It almost seemed like a formality now, but it was important to him. He wanted her to wear it and be reminded that they were together and always would be.

Joseph started to sing. Slowly, quietly. He had a pleasing baritone, a deep and honeyed voice, like soft and rolling thunder.

Go to sleep pretty baby,
Go to sleep pretty baby,
Your mommas gone away and your daddy won’t stay,
Didn’t leave nobody but the baby,

Go to sleep you little baby,
Go to sleep you little baby,
Everyone’s gone but the cotton and the corn,
Goin to need another love my baby,

Don’t you weep pretty baby,
Don’t you weep pretty baby,
She’s long gone with the red shoes on,
Don’t need no other love my baby,

Go to sleep pretty baby,
Go to sleep pretty baby,
You and me and the devil makes three,
Don’t need no other love my baby,

Go to sleep pretty baby,
Go to sleep pretty baby,
Come lay bones on the alabaster stones and be my everloving baby...
’”

She didn't want to cry, biting it back for as long as she could and only letting a few sparse tears slip down her face. He told her he loved her, however, and a sob choked out, and she couldn't hold it back any longer. When she'd been scared before she had cried, but not like this. Too much was happening to her; she was overwhelmed and incapable of handling the fate that was being unloaded on her weak shoulders. She didn't have a name; she didn't have a heart; she was a mercurial spirit whose time was limited. So instead of bearing it, she leaned into him.

It was terribly selfish of her, considering all he'd been through that day as well, but she had never felt like she was that selfless. She let go, and when she finally got herself together, she simply laid against his chest feeling raw and empty. Sniffling intermittently, she let the sound of his heart comfort her, sure and steady beneath her.

Joseph told her that they would stay there for a few days and she looked up, shaking her head. "I don't want to stay here," she protested, but he his point was valid and she laid her head back on his head, resigned to let him make the decisions for her. She simply clung tighter to him, needing the comfort of him.

His voice vibrated into her bones, and she fell silent as his song progressed. She felt it, as much if not more than she heard it. She had wanted to talk to him, ask him questions and try to make sense of what they'd learned about each other, but she felt herself being steadily pulled toward the nothingness of her slumber. It was almost a relief when she finally slipped out of her own mind and into that bliss, free of the worries and grief that plagued her.

She awoke feeling lost and confused. Sitting up, she surveyed the dark blue room, curtains drawn over a large window and a pile of clothes folded neatly on a sitting chair near the bed. Swinging her feet out of the blankets, she went to the window and looked outside. There was a storm, and the forest disappeared through the mists of the rainfall. A distant flash of lightning was shortly followed by the far-off rumble of thunder. Where was she?

There was the sound of someone breathing, she realized, and she turned with a confused frown to look at the man sleeping in the bed. She hadn't noticed him there, awakening with her back to him, but there was something familiar about his face. Who...

The realization hit her like a landslide. The shuck jerked, swaying backward until her thighs hit the windowsill and her shoulders pressed against the glass. She'd forgotten him. She'd forgotten Joseph for a moment. She put a hand against her head and focused on breathing, her mind flooded with the memories of him. How could she have forgotten him? Of all the things to forget, it had been Joseph. They were in the faewilds, so close to her name that she could almost taste it on her tongue. That storm in her mind still loomed on the distance, a tempest begging to be unleashed. It frightened her, so she shoved the thought away.

She skirted the bed as she silently walked to her clothes and began to dress. She didn't know what time it was, the overcast skies too vague to read, but nobody had awakened her so it must not have mattered. Pausing, she considered stepping out without waking him, to let him sleep longer, but ended up sitting beside him and putting a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Joseph." She rubbed her hand along his arm. Guilt was still riding her hard so she leaned down and gave his bruised cheek a kiss, if only to give herself that conviction of that intimacy. "Joseph, wake up."

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph knew she didn’t want to stay there. She was frightened and everything had been so emotional...but she had found out more about herself in three hours than in weeks on the road. She had a friend from her old life here. Joseph wasn’t going to let her flee from that just because she was scared. It had been his fault. If he hadn’t lost his temper and rose to the redcaps baiting, none of that would have happened. Either way he was prepared to put up with a grouchy staff if it meant finding out her name.

He inhaled sharply when she woke him and yawned, squinting at the window. It was still twilight out, and there was a nasty storm on the horizon. Thank the gods they’d stayed here. Getting caught in a lightning storm in the middle of the faelands sounded like the perfect definition of hell.

He sat up and kissed her in greeting, wincing and touching his right eye. It was swollen shut. He gingerly poked around it. “I should have put a steak on this last night.” He muttered.

He gingerly touched his face and she frowned, gently placing her hand in his jaw and turning his face toward her. It looked like it hurt something awful. Seeing him this way made her body ache, yearning to make it better.

"Did they treat you at all?" she asked. She pushed back his robe, looking at the awful bruises across his ribs. "I think I've got a little more magic here. I can help them a bit."

Rather than licking him (since now she realized that her fingers probably would have worked just as well), she laid her hand over his eye. There was a small prickle of magic in her palm, a dark glitter of magick that escaped between her fingers. She had overestimated how much she had at her disposal; yesterday's bark must have drained her more than she thought, but when she pulled her hand away, she could see the color in his face slowly but surely changing from black and blue to greens and reds.

"I think that's all I can do. I'm sorry if it's not much. Do you want something to eat? I was going to go get some food earlier, but if you're awake we can ask them to bring it up?" She waved a hand at the ceramic bell. "I think that thing summons the little purple cat. Violet. We can ask for something cold for your eye to help the swelling."

She ran an affectionate hand through his hair. He had taken care of her so much, and she wanted to take care of him, too. But she was probably overdoing it. Overcompensating. She knew she was trying to make up for forgetting him. She still felt uneasy, and her guilt was racking up quick: she'd snapped at him, she'd not trusted him, she'd forgotten him. What was happening to her? Instead of thinking on that, however, she smiled at him, awaiting his answer to jump up and see to his needs.

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph smirked. He did feel better now that he wasn't quite so swollen. He flopped onto his back, studying her as she talked and picked up the bell. He actually had slept better than he had in weeks. Even the hotel bed had been creaky and old. This was...paradise. The bed was soft as a cloud, the comforter was sinking into velvety blue pudding, and there were enough pillows to drown in. He wondered what the bathroom looked like; surely better than a chamberpot in the corner. He gently pulled Shuck down and kissed her.

It was storming outside, well and truly now, rain pattering violently against the windows. Joseph ran his fingers through her hair, smiling at her and kissing her neck. "Don't worry about me." he told her. "Let's bathe, and order something stupidly extravagant." He seemed to be in a better mood. A great weight had been lifted from him. She knew, and she still loved him. Even as short and gaunt and damaged as he was. He hadn't had a drink in a week. Not since Heinrich's.

Joseph wandered into the bathroom. The bedroom wasn't the only palace. The bathroom was all sparkling white marble, filigreed in gold. A tub sat waiting for them, big enough for a troll to soak comfortably in and filled to the brim with steaming water. A rack stood next to the extra-wide, extra-deep round tub, filled with neatly labeled oils. Everything from lavender to almond honey oils was there. Shampoos, perfumes, lotions, everything. He hadn't seen them draw up the water...and yet here it stood. Magic. It had to be. He relieved himself in the chamberpot, and sat by the tub. "Shuck? Fancy a bath?" he asked her.

As for him, he sank into it like a happy, relaxed stone and poured some of the almond oil in. The problem was, it was so deep he couldn't sit...until he found the little raised rim specifically for that purpose. He was still up to his neck in it. Joseph smiled and put a towel behind his neck. He laid his head back, washcloth over his eyes, listening to the rain.

Leaning into his kiss, she lingered. Her chest was tight, aching from the guilt of having forgotten him. She took his face gently in both hands and kissed him deeper, an apology for something she couldn't tell him. She liked the sound of being lazy and spending time with him. As much as Shuck wanted to have her name back, she wasn't as eager as he was to learn more about her prior self. It frightened her, knowing about some abstract version of herself that wasn't herself. But as Joseph had reminded her the night prior, there wasn't really another option to keep her from fading away.

She let him go into the bathroom before her, undressing once again and lying her clothes on the chair. He was already in the bath when she came in, leaned back with a washcloth over his eyes. It was a vision of peace, and she smiled to herself. She slipped into the water quietly, taking her time so as not to disturb him. The tub was deep -- even better.

Taking a small breath, she dunked her head beneath the water loud enough to finally alert him to her presence. Keeping herself underwater she crept across the tub. Her hands found his thighs first, and she gently rose her face out of the water until just her eyes were above the surface. There was a sparkle of mischief in her silver eyes when she opened them, a smile unseen just under the water.

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph heard rustling from the other room, and smirked. She was coming soon. He didn't fancy this hot bath all to himself. He wondered if the size was just luxury, or if they catered to big enough clientele to use it? He ran his fingers through his wet hair, smelling of almonds and warm water. He heard the water disturbed, and hands on his thighs. His smile grew, and he plucked the washcloth off of his eyes and set it on the side of the tub. He looked down at her lovingly. She looked mischievious, playful. He had to admit, having her this close between his legs was already making him stir.

"Mm, going to wash the top of your head or are you going to keep me in suspense?" he joked. This, he decided, was good enough. Playing in the water, ordering disgustingly complex meals from the kitchen, and lazing in bed. Perhaps exploring a little of Kitty's. He'd already caught onto the idea it wasn't exactly just a resort....especially with staff members like the redcap set aside for 'companionship'.

*cough*

When she finished bathing, the shuck climbed out of the deep bath and grabbed a towel. With no small amount of giggling from her they toweled off together, intermittently stealing kisses and generally basking in the attention he gave her. It felt good to be loved, and she was glowing when she finally escaped to the bedroom. She slipped into her shirt and rang the bell before going to stand at the window while she waited for Violet.

"It's really storming out there," she said, peering out. The trees were whipping about in an angry gale and the rain fell in sheets. "Maybe it's a good thing we ended up here instead of being stuck out there. It would have carried our little tent away."

The polite chime of a bell preceded a tinier door within the door swinging open, and the lavender cat pranced in. She lowered her head and inquired how she might serve them.

"We're hungry," she said, taking a seat in one of the chairs -- the one still draped in her other clothes. "Kindly bring us something to eat. Something sweet, too. Joseph? Any special requests?"

He finished and Violet backed out of the room, the little door closing behind her.

"They are such strange creatures," she said, leaning toward Joseph. "Have you ever seen anything like them?"

She had no sooner spoke when the chime sounded again and Violet returned. Sitting beside the door, she presided over a small line of cats as they entered On the back of each was a small tray of various dishes. As if they'd been waiting. They set on the low table an assortment of tea, small sandwiches, pastries, cookies and --

Her eyes fixed on the tray with the crackers and hearts, and she saw nothing else of what they brought. She swallowed hard, and waited for the cats to retreat once more.

"Joseph," she said slowly, still staring at them. "If I eat this entire plate of beating hearts, are you going to judge me?"

// Joseph Meier //

Joseph was happy. Deliriously happy. He got out of the tub jelly-legged, and not just because of the lovemaking. The bathwater was fantastically warm even when they stepped out, the towels heated and fluffy. Joseph strapped in his brace, and playfully helped her towel off. He almost didn't help....he wanted her again. He ached for her. He kissed her shoulders, putting his arms around her waist and grinning against her skin. "When can we do that again?" he asked eagerly, playfully swatting her on the rear. They were giggling fools, stealing kisses and tickling. He adored the very ground she walked on with those sculpted legs.

He did have the presence of mind to yank his own shirt over his head and join her at the window. He put an arm around her waist, kissing her cheek. "That just means I would have had to spend the night as a wyvern and kept you dry beneath my wings." he told her.

Joseph couldn't resist being a little sadistic when she summoned Violet. After the nasty welcome the house had given him, he wanted a little payback. He wanted steak and fried potatoes, candied orange peels and strawberries. He thought about ordering a little tug of gin or the like...but no. He wanted to be sober around Shuck. Something about her made him want to stay sober. He opted instead for champagne. He kissed her neck when Violet backed out, smiling. "Sphynxes are weird." he agreed. "Housecats are the most common type but they grow bigger than lions in some parts of the country. They're a proud race but I agree with you, the human faces are a bit disturbing."

He watched the little march come in. Good gods, Kitty thought of everything. Finger sandwiches, cookies, tea, coffee, his steak and fried potatoes, and even a little dish of candied orange peels he'd absolutely bet they wouldn't have. The only disturbing thing....was the bloody dish of snake hearts surrounded by crackers. That was, in a word, disgusting. Who in hell thought that was a delicacy? Apparently his prospective fiance, as she was fixated on them.

"...No, I won't. I'd be lying if I said I haven't eaten a few rats and snakes myself as an animal." he muttered, thinking of his time as a fox snapping up field mice while he hunted for her dinner. He turned away to let her satisfy her cravings, and dug through his bag. He found the ring, and buffed it up a bit on his shirt. It wasn't perfect. It was obviously handmade, just a little off, but it was the best he could do. He looked up at her, turning it in his fingers.

"My love, I know....we haven't known each other long, but I feel like I don't want to be with anyone else. The light in my life would be gone without you. I'd probably be dead in a ditch somewhere if I hadn't passed out in your graveyard." he stood up and gently took her hands, distracting her from her snack. He offered her the ring. "It would make me very happy, if you'd do me the honor of becoming my wife."

Trahaearn found himself incredibly weary of his newfound travelling companion, who spoke little more than enough to allow his displeasure at Trahaearn's directional skills to be known with a small bit of...growling? Or was it a frustrated sound? The growl, or irritated huff, had sounded like the bark of a tree being peeled back and had been very much alarming when at first the man had no idea the source of the sound.

He adjusted his green cloak about him a bit better, the sword on his hip kept from bobbing back and forth as his fingers curled around the pommel. The blade had a double edge design with one edge capped in silver while the rest of the blade was cold iron. It was a handy tool he had acquired from a skilled craftsman that had long been dead now.

With the fae stirred up as they were, and he searching for the rumored black shuck, he had never expected help from the vaguely familiar spirit covered in moss and leaves. So when he had traversed far enough away from the court, the old spirit had surprised him, suddenly appearing before him and began...guiding him?

The antlers had been the only reason Trahaearn had spotted the elder fae initially. The cloak it wore blending into the environment around it well enough that even a trained eye might have passed it over initially. Although, the rack atop its head was hard to miss against the backdrop of a tree when the damned thing followed as you walked by. Trahaearn had kept careful watch of the being, offering nothing to it before it had approached him and quite literally pushed him along a different path.

Had he been more than a mere human, the ancient being might not have startled him so. As it were, nearly everything was fair game while the eclipse was still so fresh, making Trahaearn wonder to what end he may have been moving toward. A trick perhaps? Maybe it had something to gain from allowing him to pass through these parts of the wood.

His seemingly benevolent guide had walked well ahead of him for a good deal of time, Trahaearn nearly losing sight of him on more than one occasion when the trees had offered the spirit more bountiful cover. Or whenever it decided to travel well ahead of him in a strange gust of leaves. Having nearly lost the tree spirit once more, Trahaearn came round the large oak between them in time to see the fae look at him while pointing onward.

Eyes squinted trying to gaze through the underbrush as he opened his mouth to speak, a hand reaching up to its teeth as it made the sound of rustling leaves with a finger pressed against what he called its mouth. He nodded, his ire rising as a question rooted itself in the back of his mind. The blasted thing wasn't about to start talking, and he had been following the bloody thing for gods knew how long now.

He knew far better than to hurl insults at benevolent fae such as this one though. Centuries of experience had taught him incredibly harsh lessons about the fools who had attempted to do so. Himself being one such fool. His tongue sufficiently bit from loosing a series of life threatening curses, the human instead gave it a nod before walking beyond where the spirit stood still.

No thanks, no words of appreciation that most humans so carelessly tossed about. One bound themselves with those simple words to fae unknowingly. And while he had been a fool for some time, the polish had finally wore off enough for him to start realizing the errors he had made in his time among these tricksters.

His irritated breath as he moved past the spirit was enough for him as a voice whispered along his neck made him glance towards the spirit, that had been there silently a mere second ago.

He stopped walking and turned completely around seeing no trace of the being around him as he scratched his chin for a second. An irritated growl followed by a huff had him pressing forward in the direction the spirit had pointed, if only to appease that which likely still followed him unseen.

“Of all things to run into, it just simply had to be one that won't riddle me endlessly. Pah!” the man spat callously as he trudged forward, mindful of any fallen branches and twigs ahead of him, taking a careful step to avoid snapping any as he passed.

“Worse yet, not like I can simply walk about without feeling like a raw steak.” Trahaearn hissed as his free hand fell into an open pouch concealed by the cloak. He felt through the contents, cold metal finally finding his touch as he pulled out two bands of iron tied by a leather strap.

He pulled the strap loose, slipping the irons over his fingers and settling them just below the knuckles. The pieces had been salvaged from a battered and broken whiskey barrel he had found in a human town, now bent on each end to fit snugly over his four fingers. The metal clinked against the pommel as he slid his left hand once more over it to keep the sword from smacking a tree as he walked.

His free was curled into a tight fist, arm freely swinging in his stride towards the edge of the fae country. “Of all the damned places I'd have to search, it could not have been a more vast and god forsaken place than the reach. Absolutely ridiculous! Where should I even begin? Folk will likely think i'm insane asking about a black dog! Bah!

He tossed a hand skyward, punctuating his censure of the current task to no one. Trudging forward, he made a list of places to contact and possibly refine his search.

“There are likely to be a few towns that have seen it pass through, or at least felt it's presence. Might be an odd fool that saw it though. Dammit all, reduced to tracking rumors from Fae!!” Trahaearn ranted as he walked. His free hand waving about wildly as he spoke. The band slipped off at one point, a muted thud as it smacked the earth a ways from him.

Stopping dead in his tracks, he narrowed his eyes and ran a hand through his hair as he took a deep breath. “Relax you idiot. Relax. Don't get to worked up before you even start.” he repeated to himself, stooping to pick up the item before continuing to walk.

The world became eerily quiet for him, his own breath catching in his throat as a sigh brushed against his ear. The hairs on the back of his neck stood, his whole body tensed, and his hands gripped tightly against the iron to the point of pain.

Trahaearn

He knew that voice, knew the only person that could say his name in such a way. It had been so long since he had heard the call. So terrifyingly long since he had seen the person attached to the voice. His heart galloped in his chest as the clear sky quickly became overcast. His magic began to flow without his knowing as his legs pumped without his permission, propelling him forward.

His mind narrowed to the exact location from where the owner of the voice was, the tempest around him nearly in time with his quick and harsh footfall. He tore across the landscape as the rain began to pour, lightning dashing across the sky ahead of him while his path became clear in his mind.

Kitty’s place. The first place he had thought to look for her. After so long, and there she was. So close now, so wonderfully close to him, and yet still so far out of his reach. His pace did not relent as he pushed away the pain from blasting through a thorn bush that ripped at his arms and cloak. His undiluted rage at the offending plant being answered with a satisfying yet blinding bolt.

It continued this way all day, his soaked clothing sticking to his body as he drew upon a bit of magic to keep going. The exhaustion would be something he dealt with later. Mal was more important than vomiting his guts up later for drawing upon so much at one time. The torrential storm around him never ceased, if only becoming larger and darker in presence as night gathered.

The disaster of a building, lopsided, gilded with balconies and garish paint became visible in the sudden brightness of the lightning. He despised this horrid place, if only for having to be surrounded by cats while he was there, but it was the most beautiful place in the world at that moment.

Because Mal was there.

His steps sloshed through the muck that now covered the ground, a firm sign of just how heavy the storm about him had become. He prayed once more out loud to the storm god for granting him the power before he came to the door of The Cat. Twisting the knob and bursting in unceremoniously, he caused Kitty to glare toward him at the sudden intrusion.

Where is she kitty?!” He yelled at her but did not wait for her reply as he stepped inside, the rain that was held in his attire dripping onto the floor while he passed the desk. Damned be the sphinxes in this place and their neatness. “I know she’s here!”

He took the stairs two at a time without saying another word, the sloshing of water and heavy steps filling the hall as he found the door that beckoned him so ceaselessly. She had summoned him. After so long had finally summoned him!

Of all the damned places for you to summon me, it had to be here!” Trahaearn bellowed as he kicked in this door, the storm outside belting a lightning bolt just outside the building and punctuating his violent motions.

His eyes took only a moment to find her. His beautiful silver lady. The rage fell away as easily as it had taken hold. Joy, stupendous joy filled its place as a smile replaced the angry scowl that had been there the moment before, his eyes wet with happy tears as he crossed the threshold and wrapped his arms about his lady.

Mal! Thank the Storm God! Oh, it has been too long!” Trahaearn spun her around as he laughed, his cloak splaying as they spun and soaking the area with water as they made circles for almost a full minute.

Gods! Oh how I have missed you, my silver Lady!” Trahaearn bellowed. He set her back on her feet and he craned his neck a little and began smooching her face before solidly kissing her square on the lips.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Shuck
Honestly, she wasn't sure if his answer mattered, and the instant he stopped speaking her hand was a flash of silver as she scooped up one of the hearts with a cracker and shoved it in her mouth. It was still warm, its sharp metallic taste filling her mouth. A small whimper eked out of her. It was too good. Why was it so good? She had poked in three more from the plate when Joseph stood up and walked back to her. Remembering he had said he'd had a present for her, she perked up and quickly licked her fingers clean. She turned to the side so that she could face him. He looked upset, fiddling with something in his hand.

"What is it?" she asked, putting a delicate hand on his arm. Her brows had begun to draw together as he spoke, not understanding where this was going until he took her hands and offered her a little wood and gold ring.

It would make me very happy, if you'd do me the honor of becoming my wife.

It rocked her and she stared at the ring, then him for several breaths. My wife. The words clanged through her, and she immediately stood up, pulling away from him.

"Joseph, you're teasing me," she said sharply, wrapping her arms around herself as she took a step away from him. Her straight black brows angled down over her eyes. "It's so soon. You don't even know who I really am. I could be someone as awful as that boggart with my name, and you'd be shackled to me by far more than a few paltry promises."

Marriage! He was proposing marriage. For fae, it wasn't just a union of two people into one, but rather the ultimate contract. It would bind his soul to hers forever, beyond the grave. She was shaking as her mind was divided into a flurry of overwhelming thoughts. She was dying -- a truth she couldn't escape -- and she wanted to spend what time she had left with him, whether that be a few hours or a few years. But when she thought of him, there was a distance between what she wanted and what she felt. Her chest tightened, but in an ache of anguish rather than a flutter or swoon. It was silent, utterly silent, and she couldn't -- wouldn't -- lie to him. Not about this.

"Joseph --"

The storm outside grew louder suddenly, flashes of lightning accompanied by claps of thunder just outside of the building. Suddenly, their door burst inward, slamming against the wall, and the lights from the hallway beyond flooded the room. The shuck spun around, stepping between the door and Joseph without hesitation. The figure didn't hesitate either, taking several swift steps before --

She was swept off of her feet in a joyous greeting. Stunned, she clung to the man's soaked shoulders. The moment he put her down, she tried to pull away, but he pulled her close and planted a kiss on her lips.

Her knee came up suddenly, smashing between the man's legs. He crumpled, but his suggestive comment made her face flush a violent shade of red. Balling her fist, she punched him square between the eyes. When he hit the floor, she shook her hand and hissed.

"Who do you think you are?!" she screeched, baring her teeth at him.

// Joseph Meier // Trahaearn //

• Yay
Reactions: Trahaearn
Kitty was not in the least bit startled. She was used to these types of interruptions; fae did not tend to come out of the woods lightly and with little fanfare. No, they came with bursts of light and flame like this one had. "Trahaearn I have to ask that you cease immediately." she told him coldly from the front desk as he moved to ascend the stairs. She shuddered, and fur rose across her shoulders...not at him, but the mud he'd spilt along the carpet with his boots! Kitty pursed her lips. Now he was going upstairs demanding after one of her guests! Enough was enough. She cleared her throat. "Italex." she called the little ginger cat to her. "Inform security we have a situation in the Blue Room. Bring two of them; this particular individual is a quite high security risk."

Her frown, and the way she stepped away from him, told him more than words ever could. Immediately, he felt the affection and fun from their earlier interactions doused in freezing water. Hurt lanced through his heart and he hid the ring in his pocket. Embarrassment, anger, and hurt struck him in a wave. He looked down at the carpet, suddenly shamed to be naked around her. He didn't get a chance to ruminate on that particular thought before a man burst in. He swept up Shuck in his arms, kissed her, and the knife already stuck in his soul twisted. So that was it then. She already had someone from her former life. Someone she didn't remember....at least not yet, from that reaction.

Someone tall, and handsome. Muscled and with a blade. He had never wanted to be in a room less. He yanked his trousers on, cruelly forgetting to be nice around his brace, and looked at her. His brown eyes were filled with hurt. Deep, black pain.
It seemed fleeing wasn't an option either. The second Trahaearn was on the ground, a pair of giants filled the doorway. There was a reason the doors were so tall, and the rooms so big.

A pair of trolls, bulls with their tusks covered in sharpened sheaths of metal, yanked Trahaearn of the floor like he was a rag doll. One of them yanked the blade away from his belt, his palm covering the weapon like a mere toothpick. The other held Trahaearn up off the ground by the scruff of his neck. Kitty trotted between the legs of one of the trolls.

"I apologize for the interruption." she bowed to Shuck, then turned to Trahaearn. "Trahaearn, I have warned you time and time again about your boots on my carpet, the noise complaints, and barging in here without a key or permission. You are lucky I don't throw you out on your rear. Explain yourself."

• Yay
Reactions: Trahaearn and Shuck
"We can get right into it if he doesn't mind that kind of play right out of the gate."He stated in a higher pitched voice after receiving a jarring knee to the gentler bits. After this comment elicited a right good punch that had him seeing bright spots, the storm outside subsided a bit. The loud shuddering strikes seeming to gain distance as he was hoisted into the air like a wet pup. Even through the pain, he could only smirk as Kitty scolded him, his eyes glued to his silver lady before him. So beautiful as she stood before him, demanding who he was. The smile faded as he realized just what she had asked, and how she had asked.

"Trahaearn. Explain yourself" Kitty scolded in the tone he had become accustomed to, confusion evident on his face as he looked only to Mal. He tried to wrestle with his sudden confusion, finally acknowledging Kitty. "She summoned me here, and I was not wasting another four hundred mortal years looking for her if she left!" Trahaearn exclaimed, his annoyance at the whole situation rising. He wanted to be put down. Wanted to touch Mal again. Know that she was truly here in front of him again. Know that he didn't have to be disappointed in not finding her once more.

"Kitty! I regret the haste of my actions, but Mal invoked me, and I answered my lord as I saw fit." Trahaearn explained as best he could, calmly. His confusion still evident as he looked back to Mal. Why was she wanting to know who he was?

She wiped her mouth as she stood over the stranger, waiting for some answer, but it appeared that he was struck dumb for several long moments from her punch. Good. Angrily scrubbing her face, she looked up.

"Joseph --" But she couldn't go any further. He was pulling on his pants already, and when he looked up at her his eyes were cold and dark. It was like hitting a wall, and she struggled to breathe. The look in his eyes made the floor drop out from under her. She wanted to take it back, wanted to say anything else. What had she done? She clamored for the words, the means to back up.

"Joseph, please, you have to let me explain," she began, but once more she was interrupted -- this time by the heavy footfalls of something in the hallway.

The shuck stumbled back from the stranger on the floor when the bull trolls pushed through the door, her leg knocking against the table and a few things clattering to the floor as she attempted to vacate the massive space they suddenly filled the room. Kitty came trotting in, demanding an explanation from --

She frowned suddenly. Trahaearn? Just yesterday Kitty had mentioned that name. Her eyes desperately sought the face of the man the troll had hoised up by the scruff, scouring his face for any part of a memory. It wasn't his face, but that name, that name....

She watched intently as he explained. Summoned him? That was impossible since she didn't even know who this man was. But her mind stumbled at four hundred years. That was impossible. This man had to be mistaken; she'd only been in her cemetery for 200. And yet, Kitty had called him by that name and he knew her as Mal, a diminutive of the name Kitty had called her.

"Kitty, is this him?" she said, shoving aside the alarming number. "Is this the man you told me about yesterday?" She needed dot hear it from the sphinx's mouth, to know for certain that this was happening and real. It was suddenly very hard to breathe. She didn't want this -- she glanced desperately back at Joseph. Now wasn't the time for some consort from a former life to come charging into her life. She wanted Joseph, wanted to love him and not some stranger covered in mud and burrs.

• Yay
"Your consort is an irritating person." Kitty said sharply. "But yes, this is indeed he. My lady..." She cleared her throat and one of the trolls stepped forward and picked up a robe, offering it to her. The sphynx didn't at all feel comfortable carrying on this conversation half-naked. Especially when she could smell what had recently transpired in that particular set of rooms. The robe looked like a dish towel in the hand of the troll, but he offered it to her gently. Kitty's security didn't dare hurt one of her guests unless they'd angered her...like the man dangling from the other's hand.

Joseph took the opportunity to slip out of the room quietly, heading down the stairs. He needed to be alone. It was storming, so he couldn't go outside, but he knew one place he wouldn't be bothered: the stables. It was quiet and warm there, and his horse didn't mind him sitting on the saddle bench to think. He turned over the ring in his fingers. What a stupid idea. She was right. They hadn't known each other for long, and now her words really were sinking in. He didn't know who she was. She already had another life barging back. Another name. Another lover. He stopped turning the ring over and hurled it viciously out of the stable doors. He saw it bounce once, glittering flashes of gold in the lights of the inn, then it was gone in the blackness.

He got up. His saddlebags didn't have liquor. But that didn't mean another guest's didn't. He slipped into the stall of a nervous-looking warmblood and fished around in the saddlebags. There. A little flask of whiskey. He lifted the flask to the mare in thanks, then headed back to his own stall to sit, and drink. Maybe Matthias had been right. He felt hot tears rise in his eyes and he angrily shoved them away with the heel of his hand.

Back in the room, Kitty sighed and shook her head. Well, sinceTrahaearn wasn't about to start a bloody conflict. She nodded to the troll, and he simply opened his hand and dropped the man on the floor. "Trahaearn this room is occupied. I can put you up in the Green Room down the hallway. If you ever drag mud across my carpets again, or shout at me, or barge into a room...I guarantee you my security officers will relish the extra protein." Kitty told him sharply. "Now I have another security matter to attend to, as it seems your pet is filching liquor from other guests, my lady." She ruffled her fur. What a night.

• Yay
His blinking confusion as she addressed someone other than him gave way to irritation. Here he was, hoisted uncomfortably in the air after hearing her summons and responding to it as quickly as he could, only to find that she acted as though she didn't know him. "Mal, how could you not know me? I've spent four thousand yea-" Trahaearn began to yell as he suddenly stopped and looked into the air, his fingers moving as his lips counted. He looked back to Mal, the irritation still there, but muted due to the interruption.

"Four and a half thousand years, by your side, doing as you wished my lord." Trahaearn finished. His face was drawn, a mix of concern and irritation. Was she playing a game with all of them? This was unlike her in every way, and would have grated against her whole being. The sudden shift in her mannerisms also alarmed him. Asking Kitty rather than simply telling the other fae, the way she addressed the other....being, in the room.

He was very uncertain as to what was in front of him. It looked human enough, and by all rights that usually meant that it was human. Given current circumstances, he bit his tongue in asking just what the hell this person was doing here since she very well could have gotten bored in her time outside the fae lands and brought another human back with her. The person slipped out of the room and kitty informed Mal that this was indeed who he was, and that she could put him up in another room. The hell was that supposed to mean?!

"She is my lord, and I am not leaving her side again. Besides, it seems there are issues which need to get lined out fairly quickly before we return to the court. If you will excuse us Kitty." Trahaearn spoke carefully, the anger stoking everything in him at the suggestion of being set up in another room, but politely kept out of his voice since he had already had the trolls brought up this time.

Once more, Kitty called the man her consort and confirmed that this scruffy man was, indeed, hers. The troll offered her the robe and she initially flinched away from the large hand, until she realized it was offering her a robe. Slipping into the garment, she watched this Trahaearn with a glare as he spoke. She could still feel the prickle on her skin from the whiskers on his face, like she'd been barbed by a porcupine. The audacity, kissing her like that!

"Four thousand years?" she blurted, alarmed. Reeling, she looked between him and Kitty. There was no way. She had known that finding her name also meant finding a lost life, but this was quickly overwhelming her.

"Wait, Kitty, don't--" Pleading for her to stay yielded nothing, and the sphinx and her security departed, leaving her between Joseph and Trahaearn. She turned again to look back at him and seeing the room devoid of her companion made Kitty's comment about her pet finally strike home. Joseph! Her stomach knotted like a lead ball. How was she supposed to fix this? Whatever this man had been to her in a former life didn't mean anything in this one.

But he stood between her and the door, clearly not going anywhere.

"What do you want?" she barked, clenching her fists at her sides. "I've made it clear I'm not interested in your advances, and if you're supposed to be in service to me, I demand that you stand aside and leave me be."

Panic rising, she drew long, careful breaths to try keeping calm. He wouldn't leave her -- not now, not ever. Her mind screamed at the notion, her breath hastening. She needed to find Joseph, right now.

• Yay
Joseph finished off the flask in record time and wasted little time finding another in the bags of a worn farmhorse, who didn't seem to care one way or the other once he figured out Joseph had no treats for him. Joseph took a swig and glared down at the floor. What kind of man was he? He just let the fucking pretty boy march into the room and kiss her like that? He was hurt, but that hurt was quickly boiling down to anger, fueled by alcohol and bad temper. He smashed the clay flask furiously in the corner of the room, startling the farmhorse, and ducked out of the stables. There was no way in hell he wasn't protecting Shuck. Whatever he had meant to her before, he didn't mean that now.

Kitty looked down her nose at Trahaearn. "You have five minutes. Your room is down the hallway. Whatever else there is can wait until morning, when you have stopped irritating the entire hours and keeping everyone up." the sphynx said sharply, turning on her heels and flouncing out. One of the trolls looked at Trahaearn.
"Five minutes." he repeated in a rumbling baritone, and shut the door behind him. Or he would have. What came barreling into the room was nothing short of horrific.

Joseph had tried to turn into the dog. What he'd ended up as was a blind monster the size of your average grizzly bear. It had a strangely enlongated head, but with impressive tusked jaws. Thick lips drew all the way back to its nostrils, revealing dozens of those glittering teeth. It was built like a bear, but had paws like a large cat with hooked black claws to match. It was stocky and muscular, with a massive neck and shoulders. Strangely, it had a little bit of a tail, that appeared as no more than a bobbed stub behind him.

He lunged into the room and went straight for Trahaearn. It was lurching drunkenly, and smelled thickly of whiskey. Joseph was drunk, and angry, and he wanted nothing more than to use this new form to pummel the pretty boy into the floorboards. The troll holding Trahaearn's sword looked between it and the weird monster the lady's pet had turned into. He quietly shut the door. Stopping a scuffle was one thing. A human that knew how to turn into a devourer, intentionally or not, was quite another.

• Yay