Completed Amol Kalit: Sand and Stone

Gerra

The Emperor
Character Biography
Link
The aftermath of the undead insurrection was a cruel reminder of the dangers posed by magic and its practitioners.

It had taken the better part of a week to restore some semblance of order to Annuakat, yet now Gerra sat on a throne, able to overlook the entire city from atop the step pyramid of the palace.

@Telenar and Achates approached.

It was just the three of them here, atop the peak. Below, the city spread out before them. To the north lay the great river. To the west was the shimmering gulf. To the east? Desert. To the south? Desert.

Gerra beckoned the two elves forward.

“Tell me, what do you see?”

Destroying the undead was difficult, but it was nothing the elf couldn't handle. Looking out over the view, he felt he could appreciate it for all its splendor, in a way.

"A new Era, Lord Gerra, awaiting your command to usher it into existence." His armor shined, ready for the traveling he was preparing for. While in the city, he had heard rumors of buried lore out there, magical knowledge ready for the taking. If he could find it, then he could take it for himself, and enhance his abilities beyond what was capable of normal warriors. All he needed was Lord Gerra's blessing, and he would be on his way.

Nothing like a good night's sleep to weather off the exhaustion. Dreamsbane was potent, but against that lich, it seemed even that sword had limits. The sword that the undead carried seemed to house its own unique power, one that apparently matched the blade he carried. But that mystery would wait. Now, with another contract filled, and allegiance sworn to this man, he would simply wait.

He jumped slightly as that booming voice rumbled with the question. Striding into the throne room, visibly annoyed, the swordman called out his answer, raising a silvery fist up high in salute.

"Opportunity. A land to be claimed under the rule of a king. For unification, or conquest I care not which. So long as the coin flows, and your creed stays the course, I will follow."

Gerra Achates Infernal

Last edited:
  • Yay
  • Bless
Reactions: Achates and Gerra
Achates minded herself as she toyed at the loose string of a bandage. A wound was healing and she was curious why it was taking longer than usual to do so. The thoughts of her own ailments aside, she looked out towards the city and listened to the others. Power and opportunities was all she heard from the other two that were questioned, but it bothered her slightly. Lips tightly pressed together she thought quietly to herself. Beyond the opportunities that laid before them, the young half elf noticed a chance for peace and rebuilding.

She didn’t look towards Gerra when she spoke. “I see a chance for peace, a chance to rebuild for the better.” When she finished a small smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she nodded. “Peace would be good for your people Gerra.” She mused quietly to herself as she remembered the cup of coffee he owed her.

“I’m curious, what do you see Gerra?”

Traecon Maxwell Infernal

• Yay
Reactions: Traecon Maxwell
Peace. Opportunity. A new era.

Yes, thought Gerra, they will make fine lieutenants.

All of them former enemies, strangers once. Now bound together by one vision, his vision, of a brighter, better world.

Slowly, he nodded.

“I see a garden that has been cleansed by fire. Waiting for the hand of the gardener to bring life anew.”

He pointed to where the ruined structures of several temples were even now undergoing repair.

“What we have taken, we must now rebuild. Greater than it was before. But the people have many needs. The elves of the desert wish to be welcomed here, so we will build a temple to Abtatu. Scholars think my army a horde of savages and seek to flee, so we will give them the greatest library in the world. Our enemies watch us for weakness, so we will enlarge our walls. And the conquered human nobles who now side with us strain against the yoke of my rule, so we will loose them on foreign foe.”

He gestures off into the distance. “Tell me, what do any of you know about the great city of Ragash?”
Traecon Maxwell Infernal Achates

"I do not." Telenar said truthfully, having other things on his mind so far.

"Will this be another target of your fight, my lord?" More fighting, more battle, and so many more little events on the way to the grander picture. For it all, he felt his focus being drawn to the wider mysteries of this land, mysteries he intended on uncovering.

• Yay
Reactions: Traecon Maxwell
The corners of her lips continued to be pulled by the growing smile on her face, she hid it casually under a hand as she thought quietly about his words. He was an interesting conqueror; his actions were different compared to others that have done things he has done. Allowing those that were his enemies haven and even offering things that would benefit him.

A curious man this one was. Ears curled slightly at the tips as she relaxed and listened to the sound of his voice as he spoke. He was strong and she could sense his ability to lead. Even she was ready to turn away from her father’s goals and follow Gerra’s. Achates waved her fingers in a small wave as she pushed those thoughts away.

He would have to do more than just say a few words to sway her to fully embrace his cause. Still…

Garnet eyes wandered back to the man as she let him see her smirk, he was pretty convincing.

She had heard of the land he had mentioned, but she was curious to hear his take on it.

“I haven’t, what is this great city, Ragash?”

Gerra Infernal

"Ragash... that's a bitter memory."

He recalled little about the cities of sand and stone. As a former member of a nomadic tribe, the places tended to blur. But Ragash was... just there in his mind. He hadn't passed that city since he was a boy, trading robes and jewels for food, and other luxuries.

And Gerra would choose such a place for the first conquest from these walls? Traecon would be having second doubts, but coin was coin. And the giant had that charisma.

"Hell of a place to start, Sand King. We cannot simply waltz in and lay claim to the place, obviously. We would have your intentions regarding said city first, before our march begins."

Achates Gerra Infernal

“Do I not give you my intentions freely?” asked Gerra, his frown growing heavy, eyes like molten forges holding Traecon’s gaze. “If the Abtati heard you speak as such, they would try to cut out your tongue. But I will answer. Amol-Kalit has too long been a land of constant strife. I wish to unite all seven of the great cities. Beneath a single rule, I might turn their focus to matters of trade and the arts, and thus enrich this land.”

“This is why it is indeed as simple as laying claim to Ragash, a city which boasts the wealth of the savanna in ivory and more. The sand elves have declared me a divine champion, chosen to conquer. The lector-priests say I am like Annuk in the flesh, for how else did I triumph so easily over Annuakat. Who am I to deny them? Is it not folly to say that all that I have accomplished goes against the will of the gods? If they thought I blasphemed, then I would be struck down. Yet here I stand. And thus I will claim Ragash, Traecon, as I will claim all the cities of this land, by divine right.”

"My Lord." Telenar said, going to one knee before the fiery giant. "I beg of you, to allow me to do something that will help in your holy mission to unite these lands."

With his face directed upon the floor, he explained further. "There is rumors of great magic hidden beneath the sands, in cities lost to time. Allow me to take some of the sand elves with me, so that I may investigate these claims, and return to you stronger than before. With this knowledge we can turn the tide against your enemies, and force them to see your claim as legitimate. Who else but the Great Djinn could unearth the lost knowledge of civilizations past? Give me this chance to prove myself to you, and you will not be disappointed."

His breathing was even, his voice calm and subjugated. More than anything in this world he wanted to understand the strange magics of this land, and to strengthen himself in the process. With this ancient lore, he knew he could make himself into the ultimate warrior of steel and magic.

• Yay
Reactions: Gerra
For a long moment, Gerra studied the kneeling elf. Telenar, who had once been his enemy. A battlemage in whom he had placed trust and yet who had lost several hundred warriors to deception against a town of naught but merchants. Would he trust this elf again? Would he lay faith in him, as a captain? Perhaps as a general?

The Sultan inclined his head.

"Go forth and with my blessing. Return when you have gained the knowledge you seek."