Fable - Ask A Shadow Drawn to the Deep

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Dmitry

The Swamp Rat
Character Biography
Link
A tiny, lopsided hut of wattle and daub sat a midst a marshy terrain in the North of Iuk-'u, a foundation of irregular, reclaimed stones rising out of the waters around it. Nearby were several rows of freshly planted sprouts poking out of the shallow water. On the roof of the hut was a thin, middle aged man, who seemed to be repairing the patchy thatch roof. As the afternoon sun beat down on him, the sun scorched homesteader slid off onto a small foot hold just in front of the entrance to his home. With a wipe of his brow, he reached for a clay jug of water, never noticing the shape in the water.

Along one of the many branches of the River Iuk, an olive colored, rodent sized lizard with a large head cautiously approached the water. It stopped once, looking about, before moving a bit more and stopping again. Finally, the cautious reptile crept to the rivers edge and sipped of its waters. Within the next ten seconds, these waters erupted as the maw of a six foot long river-drake launched onto shore. Before it could let out more than a squeal, the lizard was consumed by the lean snake-like amphibian. After choking down its meal, the drake paused a moment to rest, shortly before a small stone knocked it unconscious.

As if to complete the chain of predation, a white-haired human came out of hiding and approached, tying his sling around his neck again. "Not a bad haul," the Swamp Rat muttered as he jammed his knife into the back of its neck. "Certainly an improvement on a spade-head." After retrieving the stone from before, he waisted no time gutting the beast and returning to the skiff he'd left nearby. It had been about a month since he'd seen old Mikael and it would help to have an offering. Delta homesteaders like him were usually a pain to deal with, but if anything happens out in the far reaches of the region, they were the ones to know. And failing that, the'd often have food or supplies to trade. Given he was in the area anyway, the Rat saw no reason not stop by and keep up relations.

The river soon opened up into a larger marshland, Mikael's hut visible in the distance. Yet the man himself was nowhere to be seen. Suppressing his apprehension, the traveler rowed his skiff into the shallows where the hut sat. When he ran aground of the soft, barely submerged soil beneath, Swamp Rat disembarked and waded over to the abode. "Micky? You there you whiny old bastard?" He called out, billhook in hand as he grew more wary. "I, uh...brought dinner." A chill slowly came over him, an building sense that something was very wrong. His fears were soon vindicated as he spotted blood along the entrance and partially spattered on the stones. Now sweating, the Rat turned about, looking around the area as he removed a mask from his belt. It resembled the face of a mosquito or fly, but with the proboscis removed and the eyes replaced with glass lenses. After donning it, he untied his sling and loaded it with a cloth pouch. Holding the bill in his left hand, he slung the pouch into the hut with the right. A burst of brown gas soon followed, flowing out of the entrance and flooding the immediate area. Swamp Rat watched the hut carefully and waited.

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
Despite the murky waters and viscous mud that dragged at his feet, Kaige moved in silence and uncommon grace. The marsh’s lands were not too far in difference from the sewers he often prowled, hunting the monsters and demons that preyed on mankind. Except the swamp was wider, filled with a fresher, humid air, and sometimes eerily beautiful in a wild, untamed way. Were it not for the letter hidden away in a section of his leather suit, Kaige might have enjoyed the trek.

He stopped amidst the stooped trees and rocks of the Delta, drawing out the letter. Stroking back his coal black hair he perused it once again. As before, it gave little information.

Dangerous predator North of Iuk-'u, Delta region. Smaller, fast. Green, black. Snakelike in appearance? Amphibious. Extremely aggressive. Practice caution.

There is a man living in the Delta. Mikael. Seek him out. May have seen or know information. Good luck.

Kaige sighed, tucking the note back into the leather armor covering his body before moving on. He paced quietly and steadily through the swamp, his eyes scanning the waters. He saw a few creatures, mostly lizards and the shadows of river snakes, but they fled as he neared them, sloshing through the deeper waters and vanishing. And so, when he saw a hut in the distance and a deadly silence descended and grew, Kaige tensed. Something was not right. He crouched low, slowing his stride.

A masked fellow stood not far from the hut. Kaige watched as the stranger slung something into the hut, from which a brown gas erupted and flooded the area.

A second passed, two.

A screech, high and piercing, cut the air as the creature shot past the doorway. Its face was a nightmare of fangs and bestial greed, with a long and slender body mottled in green and black scales. Long, whiplike tendrils lined a crooked back. Its eyes were an empty black, and that was all Kaige could see before it hit the water and sped away, gone, leaving nothing but blood and havoc in its wake.

He straightened and approached the stranger, making as much noise as he could to alert the other of his presence. “Hail,” he said, keeping his voice calm. “Are you Mikael?” His eyes flickered back to the blood leading into the hut. No. He’s dead.

Though the herbs and plant fibers in the mask served to filter the toxic spores, the cloud still obscured his vision. Before long, however, he heard a screech and instinctively ducked out of the way of some awful mess of tendrils and teeth. He'd barely gotten a look through the gas before it sped off into the delta. In most cases, the wanderer would have considered that the end of the issue.

But as he stood to his feet, tucking the billhook into his belt and tying the sling around his neck, his hands shook. The Swamp Rat had been living in and wandering these lands his entire life. He knew it better than he knew himself. Nothing about this place surprised him anymore. And yet, never in his entire life had he seen anything like that. It was an unfamiliar sensation. Not the fear, but the shock. The notion that anything hear could be unfamiliar to him.

It wasn't until the stranger called out to him that he noticed the pounding in his chest and the quickness of his breath. With a deep breath, he removed the mask from his head, the cloud of spores now dissipated. "Afraid not, friend." He said in reply, his composure now reclaimed. "I'm guessing that, uh...well whatever that was already gave poor old Micky his regards." He then looked to the stranger. "Friend of yours?" He asked, cocking his head in the direction of the creature.

Without waiting for a reply, he sloshed over to the hut. "Well, they certainly don't like the black cap." The Rat called back as he began rummaging around for any food stores that may have survived the spores. "Common, Micky, I know you got some salt stashed away here." He muttered to himself. "I ain't gonna eat this whole drake in one go..."

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
“Friend of yours?” the stranger asked.

Kaige laughed at that. “Hardly.” He eyed the young man – barely more than a kid – and wondered how such a young fellow could come to be in such a place as the marsh. But as Kaige watched him begin to ransack the hut without much care for the dead Mikael, he thought he understood.

Entering the hut himself, Kaige looked down at the trail of blood, which led across the floor to below a messy bed. As the kid searched for salt, Kaige upturned the bed, revealing the bloody corpse of an old man. The creature had been hungry, for not much remained of the body; the torso had been torn open and the innards feasted upon. Bits of flesh clung to barren bones, and the face was mostly intact, frozen in a permanent display of shocked terror.

“No sign of deliberate torture… hmm,” Kaige murmured to himself. Higher demons usually had a sadistic desire to prolong the untimely death of their victims, drawing pleasure from pain and fear. “So this must be a lower species or merely a beast. Interesting,” Kaige said as he dropped the bed. For a moment he considered what he had seen of the monster. Its size had indeed been small, but that was about the only positive thing Kaige could think of. He shook his head and joined the kid in searching the hut.

There wasn’t much to the tiny homestead. Aside from the bloodstains, most of the hut was neat and tidy, the creature apparently not caring much for destruction as for food. There were crates and barrels of preserved food and a small roasting pit with a spitted lizard still above the dead fire. There were a few rough furnishings too, and this Kaige set to search. He found clothes, a few private goods…

Opening the doors of a crooked cabinet, Kaige discovered a tied sack filled with some kind of ground up white stuff. He tasted a very tiny bit, then tossed the sack to the kid. Salt.

“That creature will remember you, boyo,” Kaige said, good-natured despite his words. “If not your features, your scent. You’d best be careful.” He sauntered over to the kid and offered a hand. “Kaige Severos. What’s your name?”

Dmitry

While he had no luck with the salt, he'd managed to find a jug of homemade brandy, which he confirmed by smell. The Rat then turned just in time to catch the sack tossed his way, setting aside after checking its contents. For a moment, he simply stared at the hand offered.

"Folks call me Swamp Rat." He said, returning the gesture. "That'll do. Whatever that thing is, you ain't gonna last long enough to find without some help. Lucky for you, I'm off the job and I'm feeling quite reasonable." As the Rat turned to leave, he noticed the lizard over the fire. "...Don't eat that."

Leaving Kaige to muse over the offer, the Rat made his way back to his skiff and retrieved the slain drake. "Suns not far from setting now." He called out as he returned, laying out a sheet for the meat as he set about disposing of Mikael's corpse and bedding along with the now contaminated lizard. "You won't find shite in the dark out there and I got quite a feast here. You wanna talk business? Stay a while and have some grub." Before long, he would have a fire going again and all of the drake meat two adult men could be expected to eat skewered on the spit, the remainder sliced, salted, and hung to dry in the corner. "Won't charge you for the meal." He said along the way. "Wasn't fixin' to keep anyway. Was meant to be a little tribute for Micky."

The meat was lean, but oily. Normally tough, it softened after slow roasting for a time, cooking in its own oils. The slight gaminess was suppressed and enhanced by the excess of salt, along with whatever herbs the Rat could scrounge up from the hut and a touch of the somewhat sour brandy.

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
An odd name to be sure, but Kaige refrained from commenting, merely smiling at Swamp Rat’s assumption that he really needed generous help. Though not arrogant by any means, Kaige was confident in his own abilities… and he had stalked far more dangerous foe in more formidable grounds. But even so, he was also not one to decline help willingly given, so he nodded in acceptance of Swamp’s kindness. Plus, Kaige was glad to share a meal. He hadn’t eaten since that morning.

Seating himself beside the fire pit, Kaige laid aside the weapon he’d been wearing at his back – a long, gleaming spear with a metal shaft and wrapped leather grip. It was not a rough or shoddy arm; it was a masterwork of a true weaponsmith, and well cared for. The way Kaige handled it, deftly and lightly, spoke clearly that the man knew how to wield it. Beside the spear he dropped his pack of supplies, opening the flap and retrieving a few victuals to add to the lizard meat.

“Thanks for the free meal. Let me donate,” Kaige offered.

It wasn’t much; a few slices of flatbread with raisins, a bit of sharp white cheese that was nevertheless a step above the tasteless army rations. And there were meal bars Kaige had bought specifically for long travel and high energy; a portion of fat mixed with dried meat and fruit, sweetened with a touch of honey and maple sugar. Efficient, and not vile to taste. He also had a few spices; black pepper, a few spoonfuls of basil, paprika, and other seasonings that he added to the meat to bring out any subdued flavors.

Lastly, Kaige brought out a bottle of wine in a leatherbound flask. It was a fine vintage, aged for years in dark oak with hints of dark chocolate and citrus fruits. He took a small sip of this and offered it to the Swamp Rat.

“Do you drink?” he asked. “Just a bit. Toast to Mikael, perhaps?”

The lizard was slightly greasy, but nothing Kaige wasn’t use to. He took a few bites before speaking. “So, business. Kid, I’m a Demon Hunter. I go after the real dangerous guys. I wouldn’t underestimate me, but you’re right, I might need some help.” He took a taste of the brandy and let the sour stuff settle on his tongue before swallowing. “If you’re a swamp rat… even if you might not know what it is specifically, maybe you know where this thing might hide.”

Dmitry

With meal cooked, the Rat allowed the fire to die down just enough to produce a modicum of heat, light, and smoke. The sun was now in the middle of setting, bathing the marsh and flooding the hut with amber light. "Brave man, bringin' out bread with this much meat on the fire." He remarked with a grin as he shaved off a thick layer of meat off the top and layered it onto a chunk of bread with a slice of cheese. Despite its lean nature, the meat had become fairly tender after roasting for so long, absorbing some of it's own oil.

At Kaige's offer, the scavenger instead met the flask of whine with Mikael's jug of brandy. "To Micky, the crotchety old gob-shite." He toasted before taking a long swig and making short work of the meat, cheese, and bread he held. "Oh, I'm sure you're tough as they come, maybe more," he said before popping the last bite into his mouth. "Don't count for much if you never get to the thing." Washing down his food with another swig of brandy, the rat sliced off another healthy chunk. "We're still in the north friend. Land around here is downright hospitable, else you wouldn't see a squatter like Micky out here. Where that thing's headed though, well..." He paused a moment to take a bite of his slice. "...People don't go there. Now I'm sure you're plenty strong enough to kill that thing. But if you try it alone, it'll be half way across the sea before you catch sight. Maybe you've seen worse places, but you ain't seen this place, tourist. Luckily, you happen to be sittin' next to the only scavver that travels these lands year round. I got a skiff and nobody knows these lands like I do. A few measly gold pieces, and your, uh...demon's as good as caught."

As the last scraps of the roast disappeared between them and the last gasps of sunlight began to fade, the Rat moved the curing strips of meat over top of the hot charcoal to smoke overnight. He then lit a foul smelling bundle of herbs and placed them in a dish he'd found in the hut. "That'll keep the biters away, so you'll have to get over the smell." Got somethin' in the mornin' that help with that as well."

Kaige Severos

While Swamp Rat seemed satisfied with the bread, meat, and cheese, Kaige ate with gusto. Not with ill manners or wastefully, but with a very considerable appetite. Still, as he ate plenty of his own stock of rations and filling cheese and bread, he left most of the lizard meat for Swamp Rat to smoke and preserve for his own future meals. It was only decency.

As Kaige expected, the Swamp Rat wanted payment for any services rendered. He also seemed to think Kaige was some common brawler, maybe a mercenary with some special title to make up for what he lacked. Nothing could be farther from the truth, and Kaige smiled. His eyes twinkled with good humor for a moment as he lifted the flask of wine, taking a judicious sip. When he set it down, his smile remained, but the humor was gone.

“Don’t call me a tourist, Swamp Rat.”

Kaige swallowed a last bite of a honeyed ration and began to pack the leftovers into his rucksack. With the last of it he looked at Swamp and shrugged. “That’s fair. Governments pay me for my services, so I’ll pay you for yours.” He reached into his pack and rummaged around, before producing four coins. They glittered in the dark, and Swamp Rat might have been offended until he took a closer look.

They were hefty, fat platinum discs, carved with various symbols of nobility and religion with tiny gems set into the precious metal. They were, each by themselves, worth far more than even a fist of gold coins. Kaige thought it was fair; demons were dangerous, his clients were wealthy and well-paying, and to be honest, he wasn’t thinking much of the kid and wanted to seal the deal without too much of a fuss.

“Guide me across the swamp in that skiff of yours. Get me to where the demon resides. I’ll give you this now, and four more once the demon’s dead. You can raid my body if I end up dying. If you’d rather have gold for any reason, I’ve got that too… though you’ll have to give me some time. I don’t carry most of my money around on excursions like this. To tell you the truth, these were for Micky.

“As for the smell… I’ve smelt more rotting bodies than I care to remember.” Kaige held out the gold medallions to the kid. “Do we have a deal?”

Gods help you if you’re thinking of haggling.

Dmitry

The rat chuckled at the apparent offense Kaige took; he really didn't get it. The demon hunter seemed to believe it a matter of skill or strength or competency. Well, best not to agitate any further, at least until his new client saw for himself that strength alone wasn't enough down here. As he took a final swig of brandy for the night, the newcomer brought out four jeweled discs of platinum. The newly hired guide spit out his drink in shock, causing the fire flare up for a brief moment. He took one, assuming Kaige didn't withhold it, and scratched it with his knife. Confirming the metal underneath was the same as the surface, he looked between it and Kaige a couple times in disbelief.

"Well, uh..." He sputtered, trying to regain his composure. "...I think that should be...agreeable." The rat had never been payed in platinum and could barely recognize the material. Had he been undercutting himself this whole time? Should he be charging more? "A-anyway, there's some things I gotta take care of just before we head out, so it's best I take second watch." He sat himself against a wall of the hut. "Meantime, enjoy the show outside." The rat said before allowing himself to drift off to sleep.

After sun faded entirely and a half moon hung in the sky, partially obscured by clouds, the surrounding marsh was anything but quiet. Various insects and frogs filled the night with song, the occasional beast rustling in the outer brush. Yet in a few hours, while not becoming completely silent, the cacophony died to a murmur. If one squinted, they may see faint lights in the distance. Slowly but surely, dim, vaporous motes of light began rising from the waters and the muck. One by one they emerged, some lingering over the earth, others mingling before dispersing. Yet more moved into the sky and disappeared, all of them seemingly aimless in their movements. In time, they were visible in all directions, as though invading the land. And then, just as they arrived, they began to disappear. Some of them fell back into the ground, others moved on to other places. As the last of the lights was gone, the murmurs of the night picked up again.

By the time the sun had fully emerged, there was a kettle and a cup sitting to the side of the fire pit, the Rat smoking a pipe as he collected whatever water and supplies he could safely transport on his skiff. "Morning, good hunter." He greeted Kaige whenever he woke. "I suggest having some of the tea. It's hog's tail, same stuff I burnt last night. Tastes about as bad as it smells, but it works its way through the sweat, so try to keep it down. Round 'ere, the parasites got parasites."

After everything was loaded and the two set off, they soon came upon the scattered remains of a muck beetle. "Probably Micky's. So I was right about this thing heading South, towards the center." His glibness seemed to fade as he continued to row. "Now listen here, I wasn't kidding when I said nobody goes there. That region, it's not beasts that keep folks out. Hell, even most beasts steer clear." His eyes narrowed with a sigh. "It plays with you, that place. Makes you see things. Like memories, but clear as day, right in front of you. Worst part is, they ain't even your memories. But they'll feel like yours."

The sun was now well in the air, about halfway to its peak. "Now I've been through these lands as long as I can recall, that place included. I can see through what it shows me, so I can see us through it. Steel yourself and clear your head while you got the time. Take stock of what memories are yours." The Rat finally broke his grim streak with a chuckle.

"And if I do gotta wake you, try not to run me through."

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
With business concluded and the Swamp Rat asleep, Kaige stood and walked quietly to the doorway of the hut. There he sat, settling down with sharp eyes scanning the swamp, wondering what the Rat meant by a “show”. Kaige had seen many things during his life; brilliant sunsets and breathtaking dawns, creatures both repulsive and extraordinarily beautiful, phenoms of nature and manmade, all uncounted. Yet nothing could have prepared him for what he saw next.

The lights were incredible, lovely to behold yet ominous too. Kaige was unable to hold bath a gasp of delight as the show reached its climax in a flash of color and light. It was brief, but stunning even as the lights dimmed, meandering back from whence they came. He felt disappointed that it was so short, but knew this was a memory he would never forget. He was still awed as he went back inside to wake Swamp Rat for the second watch.

The rest of the night passed without disturbance. Kaige slept soundly, waking early to a foul smell, introduced to him as hog’s tail. Despite his initial impulse to decline, Kaige took the tea and downed it in a few quick gulps, wincing as the vile taste. He’d had worse. If it provided protection against parasites, he wouldn’t complain. He helped to load the skiff, and then they were off, eventually encountering the remains of a massive insect, diemboweled with chewed legs scattered about.

Kaige listened closely to Swamp Rat as he warned him about the Southern reaches of the marsh. He said nothing, but even as the Rat finished speaking, he was already reaffirming his own identity and memories. He had always been told he had a strong mental barrier. From what and how he never knew, but was sure it would help now. He had come this far and had no intention of being felled by false recollections conjured by a swamp.

As they ventured deeper into the heart of the swamplands, a silence descended. Then Kaige heard the sounds, hollow, disembodied.

“Do you know where you’re going?”

“Quiet. Do you hear that?”

“No. Wait, yes. What- Oh my god, what-“

“Run! Go! Run!”

Two figures burst from a cluster of bent an twisted trees, chased by a monstrous reptilian creature, a rare native to the Delta. Kaige shot to his feet, then suddenly realized that the trees didn’t move, and the water didn’t slosh.

One figure, a young man, stumbled, and the creature pounced. The man screamed was the reptilian tore into him, ripping out lungs and intestines with hungry growls. The cries of torment and death echoed through the forest – or they seemed to – before all three phantoms vanished.

It was only beginning.

Perhaps it was because he was unfamiliar to the marsh. Perhaps it sensed his mental barriers and took it as a challenge. Perhaps it was because he was weaker than he thought. But the marsh targeted Kaige, and what he saw in its false memories were things he saw in nightmares.

-Screams and cries for help.

Blood splattering over trees.

Bodies, countless bodies, devoured by beasts and carrions birds and reptiles seen nowhere else. Most bodies were caused by the claws and talons and teeth of these creatures, but there were a few hung from the trees by nooses, or shot by crossbows-

-What have you done? How could you!-

in a suicide attempt to save them from more gruesome, torturous deaths.

Blood staining the water

Screams and please for mercy.

“No daddy don’t!”

“PLEASE”

Blood standing his hands

The demon, crashing through water, making bloody waves, its face a nightmare of fangs and bulging eyes-

“WHAT IS IT”

“Don’t KILL ME”

Kaige crouched in the skiff, hands to his head, breathing in and out in harsh breaths as the memories surged against him. Until finally, finally, they began to fade.

Dmitry

As always, upon entering the mix of red and green waters of the Delta's core, a few fleeting images appeared before the Rat. Some were along the shore and others appeared in the river, a few even clinging to the boat. But they faded quickly, as though losing interest as the young guide pushed forward. Over an again, these specters emerged and vanished. He had long since learned to tell what was real and what was an illusion. Moreover, he no longer needed to know that what lay before him was fake in order to maintain his sanity.

Unfortunately, his passenger wasn't so accustomed to this place, as the Rat suspected. After waiting for a straight enough path to safely drift through, he turned to Kaige and began to slowly push the oar against his chest. The pressure continued to increase until the demon slayer either stopped him or fell into the river, the Rat then offering the oar to pull him out.

"You're doin' it wrong." He said as he went back to rowing. "Don't bother trying to tell yourself it ain't real. For all I know, it just might be." Both living and dead vegetation began to increase, crowding the river and forcing the Rat to navigate the skiff more carefully. No animals could be heard in this place. No insects or foraging reptiles, not even birds in the trees. Just the wind blowing through the bushes and shrubs, the trees in this place becoming fewer and more sparse. "Take it to be real. To be the truth. Then accept that it doesn't matter. None-o-this means anythin', real or not. Easier said done, sure. You're new, fresh blood in these parts. Won't be so easy, but it still helps. Either way, shouldn't be as hard to keep you're cool goin' forward."

As they continued deeper in, the shades pressing on with their performance, half buried pillars and archways became visible along the way. They were at various angles and depths, some in greater states of ruin than others. Their architecture would likely not match anything Kaige had seen in other lands. A patch of bramble along the way sported an oily substance that didn't match the rest.

"Never seen any disease or fungus like that." The Rat said, halting the skiff near the spot and dismounting. Bill in hand, he hacked through a layer of the thorny brush, revealing more of the black stuff in an area that looked as though something had forced its way through. "Think it's your buddy? I can probably get us through this if need be, but we'll likely get pricked a bit."

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
One last memory burst through the remains of the fading illusions. He was a hunter, strong and arrogant, confident and cocky in his abilities. He’d heard of the monster here, and had decided to hunt it himself and reap the benefits and bask in the praise. He had no family, no friends, no one to tell him that this was unwise, that he would need help. Though even if he was warned, he would not have heeded them.

Now he ran through the marsh, his breath burning in his lungs as the monster chased him, sometimes nearly gaining, only to slow, as if mocking its quarry. Perhaps it was. Until finally the hunter stumbled and the monster was upon him, its fangs sinking into his arm, piercing even the bone, and its claws raking up against his ribs. A long serpentine body coiled around Kaige, crushing him, stopping short of death as the creature ripping away layers of flesh, torturing Kaige even as he began his slow descent into death…

SPLASH

Kaige gasped, inadvertently swallowing a mouthful of detestable water. The memories abruptly vanished as he glared at Swamp Rat, grudgingly taking hold of the oar and pulling himself back into the skiff, shivering as the water began to evaporate, leaving him cold despite that day’s natural humid air. He looked at the Rat as the boy spoke, and suddenly felt a new deference for the kid. Young as he was, the Swamp Rat was a real survivor, and that Kaige respected.

It wasn’t long before they reached the strange, distorted ruins and the oily brush. Kaige carefully examined the substance, wise enough not to touch it. He cocked an eyebrow at the Rat and nodded. “This is it. Get us through, kid… I mean, Swamp Rat. Uh, is that really your name?”

The bramble, once hacked through., revealed a large clearing. Jutting from the water and stained in the same black substance were piles of bones, animal and human both. Strips of bloody, dried flesh still clung to the rib cages, and hollowed out skulls floated atop the water, water that was stained itself with blood and gore and the black oil.

The water here was shallow, and the skiff bumped against the earth.

Kaige slid from the skiff, his face grim. “I can feel it. You wanna get out of here, Rat?”

The guide chuckled at the hunter's awkward reply. "Only name I know." He said as he began hacking a path through the thorns, pulling the skiff along behind him as he went. As they entered the clearing, it became apparent that the vessel would take them no further. As they stepped onto higher, yet still soft ground, the Rat took in the carnage around him.

"These corpses..." He muttered, losing his usual impish mirth. "None of them should be here. This...whatever it is, its hunting from outside. Across the Delta for all I know." His grip tightened on the bill as his left hand reached into a pouch. "No way I'm gettin' outta here alive if that thing ain't put down."

As if in response, the Rat noticed a slight tremor in the still water, too far ahead to be from either of them. His eyes widened and he stepped back as quickly as the muck allowed. From waters at his feet, a tendril shot out like a spear. The Rat leaned back just enough for it to graze his cheek. It continued around his back in an attempt to wrap around him. Bracing his foot behind him, he sliced down with the hook and severed the tendril just as it began to tighten.

The ripple then amplified tenfold as the demon erupted forth, much larger than before. As it closed in, the Rat crushed the dried black cap in his hand before hurling another cloud of spores at the engorged beast. It shrieked once more and veered off course, giving its target a brief moment to don the mask from before. Scanning the area, he untied his sling and swapped the bill to his left hand.

"Best not to lose your footin' now." He shouted to Kaige, voice slightly muffled. "The water's bout to get toxic".

Kaige Severos

Kaige twisted around as the tendril tried, unsuccessfully. to wrap around Swamp Rat. His spear lashed out, missing he snake as it retreated from the cloud of black cap. Kaige didn’t bother chasing after it, knowing it would come back on its own. His grip tightened around his weapon, drawing it back, ready to strike and slash or stab, whatever might be needed.

And it came indeed.

Even as Swamp Rat shouted his warning, the demon swerved in the water. As it charged towards Kaige, it began to change, growing in size and girth to three times the size it had been before. The green and black scales covering its snakelike body rippled and clacked as new muscles seemed to form beneath it. Its gaping mouth opened wide as its teeth lengthened too, dripping bright, clear lines of saliva. It hissed and screamed, an unearthly combination as its eyes focused on the Demon Hunter.

Kaige was not as strong as others, but he was faster than most. As the demon raced towards him he leaped to the side in a spinning cartwheel, never touching the water. With all the grace of a dancer he landed on his feet and spun, his spear lashing out as the demon swept past him. Two tendrils on its back were sliced off and the monster howled, a shattering sound that grew as Kaige withdrew his spear and stabbed it in one side. Writhing, the demon fell into the water, promptly disappearing into the murky depths.

Kaige turned in the water, searching for the creature. No blood or shape could be discerned within the black , muddy water that he could see… until he did see it, the rippling and the dark shape headed towards Swamp Rat

“KID!” Kaige shouted.

The snakelike thing burst from the water and toward Swamp Rat at blazing speed.

Dmitry

Last edited:
The Rat turned as fast as he could, just in time to see the monster emerge. He twisted his body to the left and dug the bill into its jaw, slicing along its body as it passed. The creature shrieked as it splashed into the water, writhing about as the Rat regained his footing and hurriedly slung a deep red stone into its black flesh. As it finally regained itself, the demon hurled itself at the Rat, no longer submerging as it created waves in its wake. He shielded his face with his bracers, only to be blindsided as his adversary slammed into him. Losing his breath, The Rat's feet left the muddy waters as he was launched about a dozen feet away. He narrowly avoided submerging his head as he landed and forced himself to his feet with a wheeze, the chitinous breastplate he wore sporting a few cracks.

The abomination then sped towards Kaige. "The amber!" The guide choked out, barely regaining his breath. "In it's side; hit it as hard as you can!" The blood colored amber could be seen in the monster's side, reflecting the sun even in the shade of this place.

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
The monster was fast – terrifyingly so. But what it did not know, could not be known, was that Kaige had faced beasts and demons far stronger, far larger, far swifter than it. And though he bore scars of those battles, still he lived while those things he had fought lay dead. It was what made him a true Demon Hunter and one of the best.

His eyes found the amber wedged in the demon’s side, and his sight focused in on the target, following it as the creature charged towards him, its teeth open to take his life. Unfortunately for it, Kaige wasn’t ready to die then.

Kaige twisted to the side and creature blazed past him. It swerved, looking confused, and just for moment it paused. It was a moment that sealed its fate; with all the strength and speed endless training granted him, Kaige swung his spear, and its tempered blade crashed into the amber, shattering the piece into many glistening shards.

BAM

The explosion threw Kaige back twenty paces, stopped only be a well-placed tree. A flurry of blood and intestines followed as the creature was torn apart by the blast. Its wretched and ripped head gave only last gurgle as it fell into the water, slain at last.

Struggling to his feet, Kaige sighed. He looked towards the Rat. “You okay? Wait a moment, there’s something I have to do.” He looked down at his left arm, where a dim light shown through the leather. He closed is eyes, then opened them, walking through the marsh towards a gathering of overgrown roots and bushes. He sliced them apart, revealing circle of purple runes and magic of an evil nature. The Infirm was a gateway where the creature had come from.

Kaige slid his hand across his spear blade, cutting open his palm. He held it over the Infirm, letting the blood drop into the violet circle. It flashed once, twice, and then vanished.

Kaige returned to the Swamp Rat. “Well,” he said brightly, “you’ve well earned some extra cash. Might’ve saved our lives.” He paused before sliding his hand into one of the many compartments of his leather armor. He held out four platinum, jewel-encrusted discs to the Rat.

“I hope you use the cash to get yourself out of here, kid. You’re too good. Let’s go.”

Dmitry

In truth, the Rat had never actually seen what one of those stones could do to soft tissue. Since they detonated upon being fractured, they could only be set off on hard surfaces. The most it could do to a living thing in most circumstances was crack open a carapace, which paled in comparison to the shower of gore left by this demon.

"Well..." He muttered as he shook the tainted water off his hands and removed his mask. "...I've seen a lot of things in these parts. Never seen a beast blown clean apart like that." The young guided stopped about halfway to the skiff as Kaige began his ritual. "You, uh...Nah, you look like you got that covered." He said before continuing on and turning the vessel they arrived in around. As the hunter offered extra payment, the Rat looked between his client and the disks a few times in minor disbelief before reluctantly holding up a hand. "You already over paid me. Call it a bonus for a generous fee." He grumbled as he pushed away the discs, not even sure what he was going to do with the first set. "Besides, what would even do if I didn't live in this shite-hole?"

As he prepared to join Kaige in the skiff, the Rat paused and looked behind him. What he saw was a young women around his age with long, black hair and green eyes. She looked over to him and smiled gently. He looked at her for a moment before closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. When he opened them, she was gone and he exhaled. A sad smile crept across his face. "Yeah...I'm not goin' anywhere." He whispered before embarking.

Kaige Severos