Open Chronicles A Different Plague

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Erwin watched as the fellow went on ahead, wondering what this guy was trying to accomplish. Seemed a bit young to be a commander or whatnot...a squire, maybe? The huntsman might have continued to ponder this question, had Ace's howl not turn his attention.

Oh right, why he had even returned in the first place.

Breaking into another jog, Erwin began his way down the path, careful in his motions not to slip on the bodies currently choking up the road. This really was a massacre, what in the gods name could have been behind all of this. Erwin's mind had already began drafted up a few theories, the most prominent of the theories also seemed rather...sinister...

Any other man would shrudder at the notion...perhaps it was best not to get wrapped up with this entire business...more so then he already have been...

When Erwin rounded the corner of one of the overturned wagons, he spotted Ace looking up at a women, whom appeared to be struggling to get up.

"Ma'am, are you alright?" Erwin called out in his "professional soldier" voice, as he called it. Jogging over to her, Ace gave out an affirmative bark, a signal that he was alright. Erwin couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief. He knew Ace could take care of himself easily, but one could still worry...

Hearing a man's voice, Zafira looked up. There seemed to be two of him, but she knew it was only the after-effects of her healing. She closed her eyes, and took a deep breath, hand momentarily stopping on the canine's fur. She pulled her hand away, forcing herself to stand steady on her own....with the help of the stick.

"This guard needs to get to the city!" Zafira shouted back. All of a sudden, her knees buckled and she let out a pained noise.

Dama, her head was pounding. With shaky hands, she reached into her cloak to see if she any potion or the like. Nothing. The other bottles had been spilled and broken in the rush of everything. It was tragic, really. All that hard work - hours of brewing small amounts, looking for plants and herbs.

Zafira couldn't find it in herself to care too much. All she cared about right now was getting to a bed. Maybe some soup. She also knew that she wouldn't be able to get into the city alone like this. At the same time, she really did not want to ask for help.

Looking around, she saw the remnants of bodies. There had to be seven or eight people dead around her, but that's not what threw Zafira off. The people that the werewolves took were alive. It was as if their intention was not to kill them. Zafira frowned at the thought. Maybe the blonde man a good distance away from her would know. He looked as if he were a commander or something.

She saw the man that had asked if she needed help move closer. Quickly, she opened her mouth to explain. "I took care of all major injuries, but she needs a proper place for an examination in case I missed something. She also needs a ton of medicines that I don't have with me right now,"

The woods seemed to thicken as soon as entered, it was already quiet enough, but the trail of blood was easy to follow. There were quite a few of the werewolves Romeo had saw, too many for one man, but he had nothing to lose, and everything to gain. He began pushing the pommel of the spear into the snow in front him, using it as a walking stick.

"Hmm, not hostages....food maybe? For a den? Seems a little odd to keep them alive though."

He was speaking to himself softly while he walked.

Whatever these beasts were doing, he would be sure to kill enough to make a nice heavy coin bag. If there were survivors, Romeo would let them fend for themselves. His job was specific, hunt werewolves, get paid. Simple. Each left hand of the beasts would give him enough for a week to pay food, bed and extras.

Too bad, they could have paid me extra to bring back survivors.

"Was she bitten?" Talus asked ZafiraJade with a straight face.

It was a question that likely most would not want to answer, hell, most likely wouldn't have even asked it. He could see that the Healer had already done her work and stabilized the woman, but it wouldn't mean much if it turned out she had been infected.

Lycanthropy was dangerous in more ways than one. Anyone bitten now wouldn't turn for the first time until the full moon, but having a threat like that inside of the city...he just couldn't stand for it.

Talus was not in charge of the defense of course, only of this small band that had been sent out to cut down as many wolves as possible. Upon their return he would report to the Garrison Commander, but if he brought back someone who was infected...things wouldn't end well.

"If not, we can get her some medical aid in the City." His face was stern. "If she was..."

He trailed off, glancing at some of the dead wolves that had been left behind.

She would meet a more merciful fate.

Zafira swallowed hard.

The woman had been bitten

"We can't just kill her!" Zafira gaped, eyes narrowing at the man. She knew he was doing her job, but her job was to make sure people were left alive. Her job was not to heal them and just let them die. Her efforts were not going to go down in vain.

Despite Zafira's headache that made her feel like her brain was rattling in her head, Zafira crouched back down to the woman, pulling away from the strip of cloth on her missing leg. Damn, she was going to do something that was going to absolutely hurt.

Before she did though......

She looked up and offered the man a mirthless smile. "Now normally I am not the damsel in distress, but after I do this, you're going to have to take me to the hospital with her. Tell them I'm fine, I would just need a Kava potion which they should have,"

She turned her attention back to the woman.

Please don't let it spread.

Eyes switching once again into a brandy color, Zafira's hands traveled across the woman's body. She was looking for the woman's life thread again which was steady, but weak. Finding the bright light, Zafira traced it onto a not-so-bright spot. The limb. She thought she had cleared the infection, but the man was right. It would spread fast.

Grabbing the sword from behind her, Zafira passed her hand on it, disinfecting it before slamming the blade against the bitten leg. Quickly, Zafira got back on her knees, noting the fresh blood that was spilling. Black spots lined her vision, and Zafira let out a soft whimper. She put her hand back on the woman's leg, using the last threads of her energy to bind the area back together.

Just as she was about to finish, Zafira's body lurched forward, her vision going black.

“We can’t take any risks, Talus,” Ademar said to his fellow apprentice in regards to the...witch? And the woman she was attending to. “The city has suffered enough with this pandemic of werewolves, and by the legions of it. Letting her in will simply win them the city at ease.” It did sound he was indifferent towards the now infected woman that was being saved, maybe implying he cared less of the life of others around. Not true at all. He was a realist, never too optimistic or pessimistic. Looked out ahead for potential consequences and the ‘what ifs’.

“Check the bodies and stab through their hearts each and one of them,” the warrior looked at the guards as he spoke.

His eyes focused on the injured woman.

“I won’t have more of these breeds continue their army,” and marched for where the healer and the woman was with intentions of killing the latter.

Talus glanced at Ademar.

In truth his mind sat exactly in the same place as his fellow Apprentice. These Werewolves had been a plague on the city, and bringing someone into the city who had been infected was...dangerous. Even if the Witch had succeeded in stemming the infection, it was still dangerous to bring her back.

A frown touched his lips, and a small idea formed in his mind. He glanced towards the Witch, knowing she likely wouldn't approve, but that didn't matter. "Keep this one alive."

He gestured towards the woman that the Witch had healed.

"I have an idea." Talus took a step closer to Ademar, grabbing his shoulder gently and whisper in his ear so that the Mercenary would not overhear. "We'll use her as bait."

It was a cruel idea, but a good one.

If the wolves thought that she was infected, then it was very likely they would come for her eventually. If they could leverage that...it might work out in their favor.

Waking up to see the woman still alive left Zafira with an amount of relief she had no expected at all. She grimaced likely and stood up, aware of the man from earlier and a new one talking among themselves. The only part she heard as she awoke was 'keep this one alive.'

Good.

Zafira had worked hard on healing her, using every last bit of her energy on the young woman. She bit her lip lightly, grazing the woman's scraped up cheek before she stood up. As she turned, she bit back her bile when she saw the remaining guards stab at the people that may have been bitten and alive. She didn't disagree with the act - it was precautionary. Still, Zafira did not have to like it. She turned to the men, a lopsided smirk on her face that she didn't feel at all.

"Well, gentlemen. Shall we take this healed woman to the hospital now?" she asked, leaning on her staff. There was a glint in her eyes, both mischievous but laced with a seriousness she hoped they'd recognized. The new man had a hardened look on him, one that made her feel that the woman was not as safe as Zafira hoped she would be.

If it been any other mercenary, what the apprentices were conspiring might have fell on deaf ear. Too bad Erwin's ears were sharp, sharp enough to pick up the few words they exchanged.

"Sure, while your at it, why don't you round up some more refugees and dangle them downwind? Sure to attract more of 'em...be a hella of a way to go, at least..." The huntsman mused, as watched the armed men talk among each other, leaning against his longbow for support. Wasn't exactly serious advice. The only thing he could say was that he felt bad for the refugee. "...but what do I know? I'm just lowly mercenary...it's not like I've got experience hunting pack beasts...no, the worst I got to worry about is my life and my bottemline...you two, well..." The archer's eyes fell to the ground as he trailed off, looking at the dead corpses strewn across the road. This might have earned another bitter chuckle, but at this point, Erwin was freshout of those.

"Anyhow...enough pleasantries, it seems these soldiers have the situation under control...they'll take good care of the merc, ain't that right fellas?..." Picking his bow up, the huntsman wandered past the soldier, giving the two Anirians a knowing looking, before turning to the witch. "...Madame, me and my buddy Ace here are also heading for the city...if you would like, we can help you to the local infirmary...and then we'll be on our separate ways after that..."

Ace had been watching Erwin move about, talking presumably to the men whom positively reaked of magic. He wasn't sure what Erwin was on about, but it sounded like it had to do with the beasts and the wounded. The canine could only hope that the wounded got out alive, but he knew from experience that that wasn't always the case...

Ace had seen too many people die just as they got to the operating table...

At some point, Erwin stepped up towards the nice healing lady. He seemed to be offering to bring her to the city. The nice healing lady was going to be traveling with them? That was exciting! At least Ace thought so.

The more the merrier!

If Zafira had looked over, she'd see Ace had stood back up and was now wagging his tail, a smile dangling off of his cheeks as he awaited for a response from her.

Hearing the mercenary speak, Zafira's heart dropped, and she turned her heated gaze towards the two conspiring men. Not that they cared. Zafira was never one to get angry easily or even show anything rather than mischief, but as of now, she was positively livid.

That woman was one of their soldiers and they wanted to use her? If she wasn't healed, Zafira would understand it. Except the woman had no trace of lycanthropy in her system. Zafira had all but completely severed the limb from her, leaving no room for the woman to ever be able to walk normally again. A pang of guilt stabbed at Zafira, one she shoved down quickly. The woman may be crippled, but at least she was alive.

She felt a presence by her feet to see the canine from earlier wagging its tail. Despite Zafira's sour mood, she offered the canine a grin before turning to the men.

"You are absolutely out of your mind if you think I am going to let you use this girl as bait. She was one of you, where's your loyalty?" Zafira snapped. She heard the girl moan light. She seriously needed to go to the infirmary. At the mercenary's offer, Zafira brightened. At least someone wasn't being a complete statue.

"I would very much appreciate that, Sir," Zafira said, bowing her head lightly in respect. "But I have to ask - can we bring the woman with us? She truly is healed, and whatever the men are thinking is gonna happen, is not," She eyed the men lightly as she said the last part. Feeling the canine nudge her, Zafira crouched to her knees and offered him a good scratch.

"And I never caught your name, my little helper," she said, holding back a chuckle as the dog barked.

The tracking continued, they were deep into the woods. So deep in fact, Romeo thought he should hear noises of ambiance, but it was quiet. His heart thumped in his ears, but it wasn't fear or anxiety, just simple blood pumping. It was that quiet. No birds, no mammals, in fact even the wind seemed to be absent from this neck of the woods. It meant more than anything that he was being watched, and that meant he was on the right track. The blood had become thinner, and less apparent in the snow, he was having to use smell to direct him.

What exactly was he smelling for? Blood, the beasts' stench, and decay. Most woods all smelt the same, so if it didn't seem to fit the common smell of woods to Romeo, he followed his nose, every once in awhile being confirmed by small drops of blood here and there. Granted, they could have been leading him into a trap, this was also highly likely. This was fine, however.

"If her death meant the end of all this then nothing else matters." Talus said to both the Witch and the Mercenary.

He didn't particularly care about the petty morality of using someone as bait. His entire life he had been beaten down and trained to do what was best for Vel Anir. He was a Dreadlord, and that meant taking measures others would not.

The situation here was escalating, and they needed to find a way to solve all of this or else Vel Ciruk would be destroyed.

What was one life in the wake of thousands? What was the cost of surviving all of this? Hundreds had already died, and thousands were beginning to starve within the city wall. Talus didn't care if one woman had to die, hell, he didn't care if a hundred had to die.

As long as the city was saved.

"We'll let the Garrison Commander and the Governor decide." Talus stated flatly, motioning for the Anirian Guardsmen that had survived the attack. "Yes?"

The Guardsmen slowly fell into step around the Apprentices, the Witch, and the Mercenary.

There was no implication of threat, at least not from Talus who simply began to walk towards the walls of Vel Ciruk.

"Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night..." The huntsman mused as Talus walked by. The huntsman wasn't exactly joking when he suggested dangling refugees as bait, but an observation. Anyone else would have laughed it off as a joke, but with that kind of thinking, this lot might actually do it.

Where did it truly end? Erwin could only wonder...

"Don't pay them mind...their doing their best...least I hope, for their sake..." Erwin stepped over, slinging his bow onto his back, and offering a hand/shoulder to the witch. He lowered his own voice for the next part. "...their either desperate or...well, let's just give 'em the benefit of the doubt and say their desperate...desperate to break this plague, of sorts..."

If she'd take his hand or shoulder, Erwin would lower himself downwards and attempt to elivate some of the pressure off of the witch. If she didn't need it, the man would simply take up the rear guard, taking a moment to back step as he observed the field of battle once more.

"Looks like the vultures will be eating good tonight..." Erwin glanced up at the sky, observing far above a couple of birds already starting to circle. They wouldn't be the only ones picking this place clean. A grunting noise caught the huntsman's attention again, this time it was the female soldier. She was having difficulties walk, grasping for somthing to hold onto from the ground.

"Ace! Give go give her a hand!"

Upon hearing the name "Ace", the canine's ears perked up, looking over at Erwin, whom appeared to beckoning towards the injured guardswomen from before.

Ace gave a affirmative bark, before leaving the witch's side in a flash. Moments later, he was standing next to the guardswomen, looking up at her as he gave a friendly smile. The guardswomen seemed unsure, given the natural of the recent attack...

"Don't worry, he doesn't bite..." Erwin called out, perhaps realizing a bit too late of his phrasing in relation to the situation. Yet perhaps it was Ace's friendly demeanor that got her to loosen up, as she gently yet cautiously placed a hand on his head, before gingerly petting Ace. This caused Ace's smile widened, as he allowed her to get comfortable with him. After he was sure she was comfortable, the canine turned around, paralleling his body with hers, looking back with an insistent look.

It took the women a minute to realize, but the canine wanted her to use him as a support. It took a moment, but she would finally relent; leaning over and using Ace as a support, as she hobbled along with the group...

At the huntsman's comment, Zafira offered him the quirk of a smile. She took his hand and gratefully stood up as Ace ran off to the woman who was waking.

Zafira's breath caught.

She was surprised to see her awake so fast. She had suffered injuries bad enough to kill. Nonetheless, Zafira was grateful. She squeezed the huntsman's shoulder lightly in appreciation. "Thank you, Sir," she murmured, before turning back to the blonde man.

At first, she wanted to scream. Not directly at him....maybe partly at him. Then, she wanted to hit something until she realized that would solve nothing either. She settled on taking a deep, collective breath before stepping a bit closer to the blonde man.

"Look," she started quietly, eyes meeting his. "I get that what you are trying to do is to protect Vel Ciruk. Now if the woman had lycanthropy blood in her, I would understand your perspective. If you use her as bait, the werewolves will come, but not because she's their kind. They will come because they're going to smell her human blood, and then she really will be dead. I urge you to rethink your choice," Her words were soft and clear.

She understood why he was doubtful. He didn't know her at all, but Zafira knew for a fact that the soldier woman had no infected blood. It had died with the limb that Zafira had amputated.

She could hear the woman's horrific cry behind her, and Zafira winced. She probably saw her missing leg..

“My comrade has spoken, witch,” the apprentice said in a high voice while taking a step forward, tired of hearing the witch trying to persuade the two men to change their decision in regards to the wounded soldier. He saw her as a sister-in-arms, but they all took an oath to devote their lives for the betterment of Vel Anir and its cities under its rule. Her time had come and with her present injury? She’d no doubt be retired from the military and force to a difficult life for as long as he breathed.

“She is property of Vel Anir, and as far as I’m concerned, we will decide what’s best for her as her leading officers.”

Though ultimately the plan Talus devised in using the wounded guard as bait would now wait they’d have to discuss this matter with the Governor and the Commander of the Garrison.

His attention was now on the huntsman, also someone that was annoying Ademar with his opinions.
“I’d advise you to not put your nose in matters that don’t affect you, sellsword. Was it not your band of mercenaries that opted to defend their cargo rather the once living?”

He heard the woman cry as she saw her own amputated leg before her. A pity. Losing a limb and having a disability was a curse one must suffer with. Everything she could do once? Now limited.

“Move,” and went past the witch and mercenary, so he would pick up the injured woman and carry her on his shoulders. Magic swelled in his right arm, from forearm to shoulder, as to ease the weight on his body. He began to follow Talus and the rest of the guards towards the fortified city of Vel Ciruk.

“More time wasted, Talus. At this rate the city will be a ruin of its former glory.”

Talus ZafiraJade Erwin Geschwind

Talus almost seemed amused by Ademar's sudden outburst.

The lad had a way about him that couldn't be denied. Whereas Talus' approach had been more...diplomatic, his fellow Apprentice was far more forward. In that moment he appreciated it, mostly because his own next step would have just been to kill the Witch.

It would surely have brought questions, but Ademar was right. Vel Ciruk was under siege, and that meant drastic measures had to be taken. The only reason they were returning to the city now was because they needed more men.

They wouldn't get that out here.

Sheathing his sword Talus quickly moved with the others. The march back to Vel Ciruk was a quick one, and by the time they reached the gate it was already open. A dozen men waited beyond, all of them holding Halbards at the ready.

Talus waved to them, motioning to lower weapons. "We need an audience with the Garrison Commander, and the Governor."

No one moved.

"NOW!" His voice bellowed, and then suddenly three separate men rushed away from the gate and headed in the same direction. Talus smiled slightly. The Voice of Command, that was what his mentor called such orders. Getting men to move simply because they believed you had the authority. "Close the gate."

He ordered as he and the group walked towards the square beyond. There they would wait for the Governor and the Commander.

That arrogant ba-

Her thoughts broke off when she saw him throw the woman over his shoulder. For a moment. she was tempted to blast him. Maybe catch his clothes on fire. That would definitely catch him off guard.

The thought brought way too much joy than Zafira liked to admit.

And it's not like she was telling him to completely abandon the city or to not use the same strategy. She was just saying not to use it on a healed woman! Zafira bit back a tirade of curses she'd heard from the sailors she had traveled with. Instead, she turned to the mercenary who wanted to help her and gave him a disbelieving look.

Turning back to the arrogant soldiers, her green eyes momentarily turned bright as she borrowed energy from them and froze them in their spot. She walked with them forward, posture stiff. They could hate her all the wanted, she for one, did not give a damn. Zafira did not almost faint for the woman to have her be killed off.

"If you're going to the Garrison Commander, then I am coming with you," she said calmly, letting her hold slip. Her golden eyes swirled back into its emerald hue as she walked. She could feel their gazes on her, and she turned to them

"And I'd like to see you try to kill me," she said, her voice low and threatening. Zafira had traveled enough places, been trained by some of the highest professors and soldiers of the time to be more than able to defend herself despite how she looked and her profession.

Plus, Zafira genuinely was concerned about the werewolves. Because of her half-vampire status, a fact she let no one know, Zafira couldn't get infected. She knew because of it, she'd be more than a good candidate to help.

"Former glory? You mean this dump had any glory to begin with?...Hard to imagine..." Erwin quietly wondered to himself, though he was referring to Vel Anir as a whole. The fact that they this insurgent had even happened had already shattered any image of Anirian might that had latched into Erwin's mind. They certainly did a lot of posturing, but at the end of the day, they actions were just sloppy.

The fact that they had to resort to the charity of mercenaries to protect their people was just plain laughable...where was the famed might of the Anirian army? Certainly not in the thick of it...not until it's too late, anyways...

"Easy there, let's not do anything too hasty now..." Erwin spoke from behind the witch, his eyes however...were eyeing the battlments above. If she did anything to hastily, she'd be outnumbered and outgunned. Worst yet, both Erwin and Ace will be in the cross fire. "...let's just talk about this...save everyone some trouble...and bodies..."

Erwin might critical, but he wasn't livid enough to pull on either of them...least not this far from his own home turf...and not with that many potential arrows raining ontop of them...

Both he and Ace really needed to get out of Vel Anir as soon as possible. However this was going to play out, whoever was going to be caught in the middle will be the ones suffering the most...and Erwin would have preferred if they weren't in the middle.

Ace growled at the big man as he approached, might have even tried to bit off his hand when he manhandled the guardswomen off of him. He reaked of a musky magical scent, quiet distinct as he continued to carry her,

Ace did not like the way this man spoke, it reminded him too much of what people used demeaning words like "pet" to describe himself. She might not have been part of their convoy, but she still was a person, a person that was injured.

But the man walked away...Ace followed behind, glaring daggers at the man. It didn't take them long before they all reached the front gates, the walls were fairly tall, and the smell of more people filled the air. While the group talked, Ace took the moment to trot over next to Ace, before sitting down next to him.

Suddenly, the next moment, her energy changed; her scent become more tense as she used her magic...and some other element started to seep out as she used her magic...somthing that Ace would associate more with...vampires...

Ace stood up abruptly, even if Erwin remained calm, getting into the ready stance...

"The Garrison Commander is coming here." Talus said gruffly to the woman, his lips thinning slightly as he crossed his arms as if daring her to take another step forward. The Dreadlord was confident he could kill her if it came to that, though the Mercenary seemed to try to quiet her.

As he waited, Talus pondered the situation and the words that had floated around him. He hated to admit it, but the Mercenary actually had a point.

Aniria should have been greater than this.

Vel Ciruk was not a major city. It had been founded as an outpost against the Falwood. It was a bastion and a fortress, sending out timber and some mined goods to the motherland. There were more valuable cities, but it was still Anirian.

Yet all they had sent was a single Guard Regiment and some Apprentices.

If the Great Houses wanted to they could send a whole army and a dozen Dreadlords. The Werewolves would be scoured and burned within a fortnight. There was something else going on here, something that they didn't have a complete view of.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?"​

A voice broke into his thoughts, and Talus half turned to see the Governor storming up in his silk robe. A frown touched the Apprentices face, his eyes quickly looking around for the Garrison Commander. When he could spot him he swore. "Your supply train was attacked, Governor. Food, water, and everything else was spoiled, though the mercenaries managed to save your jewelry."

Talus did not sound too impressed.

"More than half the civilians were also taken." The Governor paled, and then suddenly grew red in the face.

"YOU THINK YOU CAN TALK TO ME THAT WAY?"​

The blusterous man shouted at Talus, stepping to his face. A scowl pulled across the Apprentices lips, and he quickly glanced towards Ademar Acero

In return the Apprentice stepped forward towards the Governor as the latter shouted and did the same towards Talus. He knew this special breed. Self righteous, pretentious, and overly self absorbed. The governor only thought he grew a barrier from the others with his silk garments and luxuries his coin could afford. The nobles of the Houses of Vel Anir were also pretentious, but had more insight than this pathetic governor. They at least gave a damn. This governor? Incompetent.

Ademar and Talus were entrusted to complete this serious assignment, and Ademar would do so whatever the cost. It was literally an entire city.

“Perhaps you’d like to voice these unfair comments of yours to the Lords and Ladies of the Seven Houses, Governor? How you leave this city to die, paying more importance to your jewels and whining when called out to do your sworn duties?”

He challenged the man and his authority, looking down on the man with annoyance and hatred.

“Where’s the commander, you lazy incompetent swine.”

Zafira looked back at the mercenary who's name she realized she still didn't know. He was right though.

What Zafira had done was reckless (even though it was satisfying). Zafira may have been trained, but these men were soldiers.

She walked in silence, slowing down so she could walk alongside the mercenary. "I was reckless, I apologize for it," she murmured to him quietly.

She wasn't the type to trust quickly, but something about the mercenary had a warmth to him that Zafira couldn't help soften towards. Plus, he had a dog. She crouched down by him and offered him the last biscuit she had, holding back a pleased laugh as the Ace licked at her hand.

They got to their destination quickly, and before Zafira could say anything, she noticed the one manhandling the woman snap at the governor. Zafira covered her mouth at the boldness of him, hiding a smile.

Did this man even try making friends? Zafira marveled. The comment wasn't uncalled for, but insulting the governor in front of the entire city to get help didn't seem like the best method.

Which lead to the question of how she was going to convince the commander to not lead the woman to her death. Just as she wondered who the commander could be, she saw a tall, familiar muscular figure walk towards them.

The commander.

"Markus?" Zafira gaped, eyes widening. The man was about her father's age. In fact, he was a regular customer who specifically came to Elbion for her father's medicines.

He looked grim, as if he were seconds away from throttling someone when his eyes landed on her. He squinted for a moment. "Zafira?" His expression softened considerably. "How's my favorite witch doing?" He said, almost smiling. Zafira chuckled lightly.

"I bet you say that to all witches," she teased just as he asked what she was doing here. Zafira eyed the men around her.

"There seems to have been a but of an attack outside the city. I'm sure your soldiers could explain," Zafira said, feeling a bit of hope swell into her. Markus owed Zafira nothing, but her deceased father on the other hand....

If Talus seemed at all phased by the fact that the Commander knew the Witch, he didn't show it.

His opinion of the situation didn't change just because of the people involved or how they knew each other. He thought this tactically sound, and if it worked...well then the madness of it was well worth it in the end. "The Caravan was attacked in the midst of our patrol."

Talus began to explain.

"The Wolves managed to spoil or take most of the food. We killed about two score, but the mercenaries abandoned the people." He spoke matter of fact, no bitterness in his tone. "The beasts carried off more than the number they lost. I suspect in a weeks time they will be added to our enemies."

He glanced over his shoulders. "We require permission to carry one of the wounded soldiers into the wood as bait."

"Are you fucking kidding me? Absolutely not. I'm not throwing away the lives of my soldiers."​

Talus kept his face even, his gaze firm as he replied.

"Then I need the garrison." The Dreadlord stated plainly. "All of it."

Strictly speaking, Dreadlords did not sit in the chain of military command. They had authority dervied directly from the King and the Great Houses. They could not technically issue orders, but not following something a Dreadlord said was almost always foolish.

Talus was not a full Dreadlord, but he was one step away. "You have no food. Inside of a week this city will begin to starve."

Any fool could see that now.

"Even messengers aren't getting through anymore." Another sign that the wolves were getting smarter. It was why no reinforcements had been sent yet. "We need to end this, and hiding behind these walls is not the way."

One could almost believe this had been Talus' plan all along.

He could see the Commanders face contorting slightly, his gaze moving between the people ahead of them. He even glanced at the Governor, but finally he gave a nod.

"Fine."
Talus smiled at the man. "Excellent. Ready your men, then, and anyone else who wants to brace death."

The Commander grumbled, then Talus turned away and leaned towards Ademar.

"Better to die on the field of battle than starving on a wall." He told the other Dreadlord with a smile.