Private Tales You can run...

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"That's useful," he said of the light, even though she had asked for silence.

Rayth didn't know if running water was good or bad. An underground river might not offer them a way out, but it could be the sound of an overground stream.

"Why did he let us leave?" Rayth had to ask quietly. There were no multifaceted eyes ahead. The spiders were more likely to wait in ambush with their webs than give chase now.

They were not accustomed to the light reaching these tunnels.

• Yay
Reactions: Eislyn Gray
Hogarth stared for a moment, shaking his head as if his hangover was the reason he was seeing the ethereal light coming from Eislyn. Her eyes remained beyond his shoulders and the darkness behind them. But there was no more skittering. No more shapes appearing out of the ether.

Even without the immediate threat, she maintained the light around them. And turned so she was no longer walking backwards. The arm holding the shield lowered, slightly.

"I don't know," a whispered response beside Rayth's ear. "He must've thought you were my best bet at getting us out past the armies." But with the dragon...she wasn't sure if much would be left of the armies. She did have to wonder why her father risked letting her go at all. Unless staying was the greater risk.

"He knows about my magic but if he really knew, perhaps he would've trusted me to get us out." Her father and his superstitions. The prophecies he believed in about her and the things he refused to talk about.

And Eislyn still needed time. A part of her was still recovering from what the mercenaries had done to them. To him. She thought she'd lost him. And she was terrified that she'd be waking up from all this just to find him gone again and herself locked in that iront ower room.

• Yay
Reactions: Rayth Keirn
"Hard to imagine that he cares so much for your safety when he's happy to send murderers out to bring you back," Rayth replied.

His tone was a little sharp, but he imagined she could forgive him. They had, afterall, rode out with him into the countryside to kill him.

"We're going to get even further from the city this time," he declared. "Maybe take a boat north to Elbion."

They had talked of getting her properly tutored and never really followed up on it. He hoped Elbion would be beyond his reach.

"I feel fresh air," Hogarth declared suddenly.

• Yay
"Hard to imagine that he cares so much for your safety when he's happy to send murderers out to bring you back,"
Her hand found Rayth’s arm. Her glow dimmed as they made it closer to a soft glow of sunlight coming above a set of steps carved out of the stony surface and leading upward. Fingers slid down his arm to stop him and turn him toward her.

“I should’ve fought more for you. I was hoping they would do as they said. I’ll never forgive myself for…not doing more.” She’d been bound in iron. There wasn’t much more she could’ve done. She’d tried but…she’d failed him.

“I even told them we were bound by magic and that if you died. I would too. But…it wasn’t enough and I’m sorry.”

• Yay
"I should never have let them seperate us," Rayth said. He was close to exhaustion. It hadn't been the longest trek through the network of tunnels but he was still recovering.

"It's not your fault. It's not," he said more firmly. "Even if they had tossed me on some boat I was always going to come back for you. Would have walked ocean or fire or anything in between to..."

Hogarth sighed emphatically. He hadn't even meant to interrupt, but he was drunk tired and with his way blocked by the two he had collapsed into the wall.

"Not that I was much for walking when Hogarth found me. You know, haven't been shot with a crossbow before. That was new."

Rayth tried to smile. Eislyn was caught in the faint moonlight and her own magical glow. She looked quite ethereal in the moment.

• Yay
Her chest tightened. Heart ached as he spoke. She knew he would. Because she would’ve done the same thing. Better to die trying to find him than live without him.

she finally made herself look away from his sea-green eyes. “Let’s get you both above ground.” She began walking up the steps. Thankful for once that she was wearing something more practical than a gown. At the top of the steps, she found a lever that opened a rock door that separated them from the outside. The cool, sweet night air hit them as it slid open and she stepped into the moonlight.

She remained close to Rayth. Just in case he needed help. The area opened into mostly woods. The entrance to the tunnels well hidden. There was a sound of a babbling stream nearby. But the woods were so thick, they couldn’t see the towing mountains of the spine behind them.

Hogarth collapsed onto a small grassy-patch. Eislyn looked to Rayth. “Come sit down so I can take a proper look at you.” Her magic was back. She’d be able to heal the places where her father’s healers missed. Especially any lingering internal injuries.

Hogarth grunted, looking over at Eislyn. “Can see why you went back for her.”

• Yay
"Thanks," Rayth set to Hogarth, setting himself down.

"Yeah she has..."

"You know a non-specific complement is just fine," Rayth interrupted. Hogarth after a few beers was liable to be rather crude in his reasoning of what made a worthwhile woman.

Finally setting down again, Rayth was able to think about his injuries. It wasn't too wise to dwell on them after over exerting himself again. The stroke of the sword had cut deep into his back. The crossbow bolt had pierced his shoulder blade. It had been the first fall that had broken his left arm and shoulder.

• Cry
Eislyn pointedly ignored Hogarth. She sat beside Rayth. The grass cool and soft beneath her. Slowly and with a feathered touch, she began to move her hands along his body, using her magic to sense where he was most egregiously hurt.

She started with his arm and shoulder as Hogarth went to go relieve himself in the woods. “I remember a night like this. Not too long ago,” she mused quietly. Her magic shifting into Rayth as her hands trailed along his arm and shoulder. It would feel warm and tingly.

“We were trying to keep warm after fleeing the cave. I was worried about propriety while you were keeping us alive.”

A small smile in the darkness.

“I think we’ve come pretty far.” Her hands moved toward his back.

• Yay
"Further still from you throwing shoes at sea monsters," he laughed. He winced and sucked in air through clenched teeth. Distant sounds of battle reverberated through the air. He considered asking Eislyn what she hoped for, but decided that he wanted to put his back to this place.

"I was out there desperate to stay on the move and make my name and fortune. Now I just want somewhere we can be together without trouble on our heels."

Rayth put down the blunt, rusted sword. He wiped some of the orange stain onto the grass before placing his hand on her knee.

" Though we are going to need coin for a ship. I should...worry about that later." Even if she hadn't been healing, he would have been grateful for her hands soothing over his back and shoulder.

• Yay
A tremble of laughter as he spoke of the shoes.

Then needing the coin.

"Yes we will," she sighed. "Back to where we started from." She continued to let her healing magic touch his injuries. Soothing and mending. And even as her magic withdrew, she kept her hands on him, fingers trailing up to knead lightly at his shoulders.

Very lightly on the one she just healed even though it would be alright now.

She felt the cost of her magic, knock her down a few pegs of what her energy just was. She found the more she used it, the less it took. But it still took something. Her fingers moved down his arm as she sat shoulder-to-shoulder with him.

"We'll figure something out," her fingers cupped the side of his face, thumb stroking down his cheek and stubble. She couldn't get enough of just looking at him. Feeling his warmth at her side. Touching him to assure he was real and okay.

And she didn't care if Hogarth made some snarky comment when he got back from his piss.

• Yay
Rayth slowly tilted his head back to face her. Everything had happened so quickly, the twists and turns so unexpected from the point he met her father. His expectations had been low, walking into that castle. Part of him had started to accept that he would never come out of it again.

"We will," he replied. Rayth closed his eyes and pressed his forehead to hers.

"I really thought for a while..." he started to whisper, his voice breaking, "...that I wasn't going to see you again."

He drew in the scent of her, let his hand grip and twist the fabric of her jacket.

"We won't be parted like that again."

• Yay
His breath traveled across her face, down her neck. Her eyes closed. She drew closer to him, wanting any space between them gone. Head tilted as her lips found his own.

The kiss started as a whisper, barely there. Slowly deepening. Increasing in demand. Warmth.

He couldn’t promise what he just did but she understood. Understood all too clearly. And sometimes, actions were louder than words. Fingers of one hand gripped the hair at the back of his head.

Hogarth be damned.

• Yay
When Eislyn's fingertips delved into his hair and a gentle caress became a tight grip he felt his pulse jump. It made him wish they were far from here, somewhere safe.

It was easy to forget where he was when he was with Eislyn. Easy to ignore the rest of the world. Rayth turned his head to deepen the kiss. They could have been anywhere, from the pool on the hidden city to their rooms at Belgrath.

The soft sound that caught in the back of his throat made his feelings clear. Rayth broke the kiss as he heard Hogarth fumbling his way back towards them.

"We need some time...for us..." he whispered, skirting around what he really meant.

• Haha
….

She walked behind Rayth. Her hands firmly over his eyes. She had to stretch around him and was thankful she had a little extra height in her boots to reach. As they’d traveled and Hogarth had parted ways from them, leaving the dragon and the battle of her home far behind, she’d snuck off on the days he napped. Most likely his body still healing from his injuries. She’d go to the local clinic or apothecaries and worked for coin. Healing mostly.

She’d saved up enough to surprise him with something.

“No peeking,” she chided, her lips brushing the shell of his ear. “We’re almost there. One step down right here.”

• Yay
"I'm not peeking!" Rayth protested, even as he flsyfully tried to duck under her hands. His eyes remained shut.

Life had started to feel a little easier, a bit lighter. Her home city was still at their backs and he found himself looking over his shoulder frequently.

Her father had a long reach, as did his enemies. They still did not know who had won the battle or if much of the city was still standing after a dragon had been released.

"Come on, what is it?" he asked impatiently.

• Yay
“Sure you aren’t. Don’t make me pinch your…never mind.”
She nudged him a few more steps then took a breath.

“Here we are,” she breathed and withdrew her hands, stepping next to his side so she could watch his expression as he took it all in. They were at a small secluded cabin. It was on the top of a cliff with the view of the sea. A break from crowded inns with thin walls. And the door was open. Inside was simple but clean. All one room with a fireplace crackling in one corner. A small kitchen space with a table full of his favorite foods and drinks.A comfortable and large bed on the back wall.

“I thought you might miss the sea. And I know it isnt extravagant. We have it for the week if we want it that long. The owner is a troll. Yes, an actual troll, not the personality. She’s actually quite lovely. Anyway, she said there’s a hot springs nearby. So,” she chewed on her lower lip.

“Do you like it?”

• Yay
"Oh..." he went, probably worrying her that he did not in fact like it.

"I...I can't believe this..." Rayth said, his voice rising in pitch. "I was expecting a little gift or..."

He did miss the sea. After years of being on the waves he found the sound of them climbing the shingle shore deeply relaxing. It hadn't played on his mind too much, but being close to the shore again had reminded him.

" I love it," he said suddenly, turning towards her with a broad grin on his face. It made his very soul feel lighter to have this little retreat.

"Did you say troll?" he asked sharply, brain catching up. He shook his head to dismiss the question. "If the fire is going already...where was this spring?"

• Yay
"And it's hot water springs," she repeated, waggling her golden brows. A relieved smile findally wending its way along her face. She beamed at his expression.

"Come on," she took his hand and began tugging him around the side of the cabin. There was a small path that went through a patch of wildflowers, then sloped upward and curved around some large boulders. Further still, but not too far, it dipped down into a small pool of slightly blue-tinted waters. There was a larger pool and then a smaller one right beneath. A layer of steam was rising from the water's surface.

"At least this time you won't have to dive in and save me with a water-logged dress on. And there are certainly NO water wraiths here."

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ee/9f/38/ee9f38f22558d61b8dbcbd2ca66fa4d9.jpg

His eyes widened in shock at the sight before him. He'd never seen a hot spring before. It was actually warm enough that steam was rising from the surface. Rayth stooped down to brush his fingertips through the water. It sent little ripples spreading out across the surface, intersecting with those made by the rising bubbles.

"I did quite enjoy the soaked dress," he remarked, glancing over his shoulder at her. A flash of the mischievous adventurer she had come to know. Even since the escape, Rayth had been reserved. Those injuries and the brush with death and fear of her being taken away had taken a toll.

He still hadn't admitted to stealing glanced beneath the water. In hindsight it seemed so childish. He wondered how brave she would be now under his very overt gaze. Rayth turned and sat on the edge of a rock, facing Eislyn. He didn't stop smiling.

"Why don't you go in first?" he asked, letting his hands come to rest in his lap.

• Yay
Fingers fell to her hips at his comment about her soaked dress. Eyes narrowed in mock indignation. A widening smirk at his request. She’d been guarded when they’d first met for a reason. As as he’d chipped away at her propriety, all of it had fallen away once they’d gotten married.

A part of her still marveled at how he’d never given up on her.

And of course all of her propriety had only fallen away for HIM. “Hmm,” her fingers fell away from her hips and to the belt around her waist as she undid the buckle and slid it off. Careful of the metallic cylinder that expanded to a staff the dwarves had forged for her as a wedding gift.

Boots next.

Then her leggings. Legs bare now except for the long tunic that reached just at the upper parts of her thighs. She walked slowly toward Rayth.

“Are you sure you don’t want to help me undress?” Fingers hesitated at the top button.

• Devil
Rayth let his eyes take the slow, scenic route from her bare toes to her fingers hovering threateningly over the top button. Even if he had been a prince of some minor kingdom, he had left that life behind many years ago. By contrast Eislyn had been a prim and proper diplomat when they had first met.

He leant forwards just an inch before stopping. A smile started in his eyes. He tongued the inside of his cheek.

"You know, I don't think I do," he replied, remaining quite still. If this didn't elicit a blush from her then he wasn't quite sure what would.

• Yay
It didn’t. Verdant eyes narrowed on his own set of sea green ones. Her lips twitched as she recognized that spark of mischievousness.

“Since you’re not helping,” she turned her back on him then. “I suppose that means you’ll only get half a show then.” Strutting to the pools edge, she unbuttoned her tunic and slipped one arm free, then another. Then let her shirt drop behind her. It was as if she could feel her husband’s gaze devouring every inch of her exposed skin.

She took her time easing into the warm water, still only treating him to her back.

• Yay
"Who says..." Rayth started to ask as she turned about, "...that this was not the view I was after in the first place?"

He made no move from his rock as she slowly slipped into the water. Despite enjoying this game it looked divine. Crystal clear water taking on a slight turquoise hue. Steam lingering on the surface around the gently rising bubbles.

He did not turn away as he stood and undressed. Rayth might have made no attempt to hide his close interest, so he watched in mild amusement to see if she would keep her back to him for his modesty too.

• Yay
His last comment did make her cheeks warm even as other cheeks were warmed by the water. She turned, slowly, the water coming up to her waist. When they were alone? Nearly all modesty was thrown away.

Eyes held his for a moment.

A small smirk on her rosy lips as her eyes traveled downward, clearly enjoying the view. She swallowed, feeling her chest tighten. “Are you sure that’s the view you preferred?” A daring loft of her golden brows as her eyes finally travelled back to his eyes.

• Yay
"I..." he said, as he let the last of his clothes pool at his feet, "...reserve the right to change my mind on which view I prefer. As the mood takes me, you might say." That, as far as he was concerned, covered undressing and other occasions where the angle of his view might be important to him.

"I missed us," he admitted. It felt like a very long time since they had made time for themselves. The trees whispered their secrets as a very slight breeze joined them. It was enough to hasten him in joining her in the pool.

He didn't even test the water. He'd been thrown into freezing waters many times before. Not that the crystal clear water offered any modesty from the trees and their judgemental whispering.

• Haha