Open Chronicles Why Oh Why did the Rich Man Die?

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Nyrial

Aica
Character Biography
Link
The Tir'Nasha was a grand estate, home to someone named Tes-kartes, a wealthy and influential businessman in Annuakat. He was the owner of a shipping business, one which operated both at sea and on land, and was evidently quite vast. This Tes-kartes was also rumoured to have influence in Cerak, but no one ever said with certainty. What was known was that he was a very powerful man. Nyrial hadn't known any of this until she heard the rumblings of him while she lingered casually in a hookah lounge not far from the Tir'Nasha.

Normally, a figure like this did not come up in conversation very often, but when the news of his sudden demise hit the streets, it spread like wildfire. The man had no clear heir, several children to fight amongst themselves, Imperial interests to consider, and most alluring... he'd been murdered. Naturally, all these things sparked one's imagination, and already she could hear the rumours starting to form. No one could say for certain how he'd perished.

Nyrial licked her lips at the thought, then took from the hookah set before her. She rested there in the midst of her own, wide and well cushioned booth, adorned in her dark attire, enjoying the luxuries this strange new place offered her.

The Empire was proving lucrative for Roland. Job after job seemed to be offered. Everyone wanted a man from outside the sands with no connections to the Empire, her allies, nor her enemies. Made things simpler and easier when they were being done by a truly neutral party....

Roland found himself in a bit of a bind. His former, or technically current, employer had been found dead. Tes-kartes was known even back in Vinvale for his connections and his reliability in purchasing their exquisite wines to bring back here. The man was aware of what a Grayson was and so had a job for him. Guard a caravan from bandits and thieves on a quick trip to some random city and back. Easy job that paid better than the risk. What any sellsword dreamed of.

But his employer died before he could collect his pay and his contract be completed. Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but the man had made him sign a magical kind. One of the stipulations was that he couldn't take on another job until this one was completed. The contract was still in effect which meant until the man's successor was decided and the contract could be completed, he was stuck unable to take on more work.

This turn of events led him to a local tavern for a drink and perhaps a smoke from a hookah. Really just any carnal comfort to ease his stress a bit. Upon entering he saw a woman smoking from a hookah in dark attire. Seemed like the place to be and person to bug so he meandered on over to her.

With a grin, Roland said, "What a lovely sight. Snow has fallen upon scorching sands.... Name is Roland. Mind if I join you beautiful?"

The man offered her a smirk and a wink after his words but made no move to sit until she gave him the okay. Gods he already knew he wasn't getting a yes after that horrible line.

Nyrial

• Smug
Reactions: Nyrial
Aside from the mention of Tes-kartes, the light bustling of the lounge around her was a mundane and uninteresting sound overall. She was far more content investing her attention to the goods and delicacies she'd been provided, that was until someone proved bold enough to address her directly. Smoke still wisped from the corners of her lips as her head canted up so she might see her soon to be acquaintance. Her expression did not show a grandiose disappointment, but it was certain she was not particularly impressed with his introduction. However, the glean in her eye did show a rather obvious amusement.

The corner of her lip tilting up also did, and she replied, "Nyrial."

Her eyes gave him a quick scan, and she gestured an unspoken invitation with one hand as she lifted the hookah's mouthpiece to her lips with the other, drawing in another swell of smoke. She tilted her head back some as she exhaled this time, mindful of her guest.

Lowering her eyes to look at him once he'd seated himself, she inquired, "and to what do I owe this pleasure of our meeting, my dear Roland?" As she spoke she showed him her outstretched palm with another unspoken gesture, offering up any of the things set on the table before them.

• Sip
Reactions: Roland Grayson
Amusement was the best Roland could have asked for given his introduction. He smiled and nodded in thanks at her invitation to join her. He got himself sat down and then watched his companion. She was relaxed right now, but not because of whatever was in the hookah. It was that same kind of relaxed predators had when not stalking prey. The same look when Princess was sunbathing after catching a mouse.

He took a hit from the hookah and slowly exhaled the smoke. Little rings and balls puffed out. Was better stuff than he was expecting. Usually when others shared it was the cheap kind that left a weird aftertaste. Still had an aftertaste just a good kind.

"Work. Sellsword and extra hand by trade. Completed a job but my employer died so waiting for what I'm owed. Always a squabble over inheritance and that is somehow my problem now too." A common enough story and he needed to vent. Sadly this sort of thing did happen for those in his line of work too often. "And you? What brings such a beauty to such a dull place?"

Nyrial

She did not find it all too remarkable that she found herself crossing paths with a former associate of the murdered nobleman, but it did give her an odd satisfaction to be doing so. She nodded as Roland told her of his woes, and as he inquired to her own business, she only shrugged.

"I happened upon a strange thing. Its called a Portal Stone, have you heard of them," she asked before reaching for her own mouthpiece to draw from the hookah with. She did not display any great tricks like Roland chose to, instead she simply let herself be enveloped in a great cloud of smoke, "I used the one I found and it brought me east of here."

She did not choose to elaborate on who she encountered shortly after, and that she'd been employed for a very particular purpose once her nature had been discovered. She only finished by saying she enjoyed traveling, and this city was one of the many reasons why.

"So what will you do now that you're waiting for your payment? Surely you're not going to just linger around the hookah lounge..." she said with a smirk.

• Smug
Reactions: Roland Grayson
Everyone always held something back when speaking with a stranger. Roland was doing it by not disclosing the details of his contract and how it was magically binding him to the place. They were not necessary and would just complicate things. Depending on what one was withholding sharing could even have horrible results. So while he knew she was hiding something he didn't press the topic.

Instead Roland mulled over the question by doing more fancy ring tricks after inhaling from the hookah.

"Tonight I'm looking for some fun. Tomorrow.... I'll just have to figure it out. Details of my contract forbid me taking other work till this one is over or I forfeit my pay. Rather not throw what I've already earned away."

The man paused after speaking. The details of the contract slowly floating back to the surface of his memory. It would be more than his pay he would be forfeiting. The details of breaking contract were not fully disclosed, because he suspected even his employer wasn't fully aware of what would happen, but it would either see him dead or wishing for death. But there was a loophole he hadn't considered before. He couldn't take on additional work as a sellsword. He could still take on work for general labor.

Roland made some more fancy rings as he was thinking. "Actually, could still work just not as a sellsword. Might find temporary work hauling stones for a building project or helping with a field.... Got any ideas beautiful?"

The man would smile at her as he said that last part. She was more familiar with the place than he was even if only a bit more so. Never hurt gathering information and she was proving pleasant enough company. Getting an answer would keep her pretty face around just a bit longer at least he hoped.

Nyrial

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Nyrial