Open Chronicles What Was Beneath

A roleplay open for anyone to join
He decided there and then that Sol would be a problem. The man looked tough as could be, but he had an air about him that spoke of cowardice.

Reading others was something Lucian had always done well. Body language could tell a lot, and Peyton's own words about the man rang within his skull as he watched the Quartermaster slowly back away. For a second he lingered, and then followed along with his friend.

"I'll stick with you." Lucian said quietly, though he frowned for a second. "Though the crew will likely think we're shacking up."

Rumors on a pirate ship were like rats; you were never gonna get rid of em.

Everyone had a story to tell, and every story was filled with as many lies as truths. There was very little to do at sea, and gossiping was one of the few things that everyone could engage in.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Peyton
She grinned and shrugged nonchalantly at his words "Eh, let them. Like I care what any of these decrepit shits think. Might keep them the hell away from me for a change." she laughed quietly. She was, as she had been the last twice, the only woman aboard the ship so far. "Besides, you could do worse..." she glanced back at him with a playful grin and laughed "I could definitely do better though."

She turned the brass handle of her cabin door and pushed it open, the large bed was a feather one, and of course there was a tub and some space for working, she was lucky enough to have a small porthole for some extra light. She set the raven's cage down on her table and poked a finger through the bars to stroke at it's beak before unloading the rest of her things into the wooden chest. "How're you feeling?.."

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Lucius
"Probably true." Lucius said with a smile as they stepped through the underbelly of the ship and into her cabin.

In the back of his mind he was still doubtful of his decision, still wasn't entirely sure if he had made the right choice. Even being on a ship again was exhilarating, but something loomed just beyond the rim of his thoughts that he couldn't quite grasp.

He tried to push it away for now, tried not to think about it. "Better than I thought."

Lucius lied quietly.

"We'll see how it is when we push off." The Raven within the cage glanced at him for a moment, and that odd feeling in his stomach twisted a bit more.

The young pirate frowned, shaking his head and ignoring it all.

She glanced up at him as she folded her things away, sighing quietly to herself and pushing a brief wave of guilt to the back of her mind. She’d sort of forced him here really, perhaps it was selfish of her, trying to recreate some sense of real belonging without considering whether he was actually ready for it or not. She hoped it would be good for him, it would be, she told herself..

“Good..” she answered, but sensed he wasn’t being entirely truthful. “We’ll go for a wander, get to know the ship and see how you feel then. When we push off there’s no turning back..” she pursed her lips and looked up at him.. She really should mention the other option... “I won’t hold it against you if you want to change your mind, Lucius..” she told him quietly, though she was looking at him in that way she did that told a whole other story, a hint of sadness in her eyes that usually got her what she wanted. It wasn’t intentional, simply habit.

Finch always enjoyed a show. In fact, the only thing greater than a show was an entrance. Needless to say Finch always ensured he put on both. The years since the tragic accident that befell his crew has been relatively kind to him, he was a skilled lookout and a talented bard. Not only did he keep the horizons safe, he kept crews happy and a happy crew was a non-mutineering crew.

As his talons tapped with each step across the gang plank, his feathers hustled and in perfect imitation of Captain Anderson's husky voice, Finch proclaimed. "Today, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the ILLUSTRIOUS, the BEAUTIFUL, the TALENTED Finch. Hold the applause, hold the applause." The activity on the deck halted as the individuals paused to watch the colourful figure step onboard.

It hard been hard to mend his reputation after the Black Concordant. Pirates were a superstitious lot and many considered the survivors cursed. Thankfully, Finch had managed. That said, he had spent the years migrating between crews, his claws never touching the ground. He missed many of his crew members and found that most pirates today didnt hold a candle to his old family.

"Yes yes, it truly is me, the magnificent Finch." He had heard the crew were targeting a particularly lucrative vessel and had made sure that he'd been in on the action. Anderson, and that bastard Sol, had been reluctant at first... but when Finch explained a happy crew meant a content crew, meaning they'd take smaller cuts from the profit - they almost shook his wing off. It was a no-brainer.

"Now, now... Someone show me to my quarters and tell the carpenter to make me a stage - there'll be a grand performance tonight lads!

• Haha
"I'll be alright." He assured her.

The truth was though if he didn't do this...it wasn't just a lie he'd told her. Turning back now would mean there was no coming back at all. He would climb into the gutter and stay there permanently. In a year he would likely be dead.

Less if he was unlucky.

This was the only way forward he had, the only way that he could dig himself out of the misery that had been his life since the Concordant. He gently touched her on the shoulder, smiling for a brief moment before he turned and headed back up towards the deck.

The ship was not a massive one, but large enough that it had it's tricks and turns. Eventually he found his way, just in time to hear a voice echoing from the top deck. "Is that..."

He glanced at Peyton.

"It can't be." With quick leaping strides Lucious bounded his way up the stairs, grasping at the railing and launching himself onto the deck. What he saw there brought a broad beaming smile to his face. "FLINCH!"

Lucius instantly recognized the bird man, a flood of memories coming back to him. He and Flinch had spent hours and hours on the Concordant drinking, gambling, and generally being a nuisance. "YOURE ALIVE!"

He called with a child like glee.

• Cheer
Reactions: Finch and Peyton
Peyton smiled at his reassurance and patted his hand as it rested on her shoulder. “I know you will.” she agreed, and followed him out.

The voice from up on deck caused her to pause briefly as she tried to place it, she knew it but it’d been a few years since she’d seen him. She returned Lucius’ look with a look of confusion..Finch?...”

She ran off after him and grinned to see the old parrot aboard, her arms folding over her chest as she watched Lucius, pleased to see him so happy. “I don’t recall you being this happy to see me..” she jibed with a quiet laugh..

“But.. I suppose it is Finch..” she smirked..

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
  • Cheer
Reactions: Finch and Lucius
"And that's when I told him... Throwing acid is wrong - at least in some people's eyes." Finch chuckled at his own joke. It wasn't particularly funny, but a bard has to judge the crowd and this crowd looked a sore sight.

Across the deck, he heard a voice. A particularly gleeful voice, but one he'd never thought he'd hear again. Then a second. Without care, he threw his bag into one of the deckhands, muttering something about pecking his eyes out if anything goes missing and strode towards the duo.

Finch was the first to flee the ship. He'd been comfy in the crow's nest when the beast had attacked the Concordant, taking him - and the rest of the crew - completely by surprise. He'd known a hopeless situation when he saw it and immediately flew the nest after the first tentacles. As a result, he was unaware of any survivors.

Speechless, perhaps for the first time in his life, Finch pressed his feathered hand against Lucius and then Peyton. He needed to confirm he wasn't hallucinating. He wasn't.

"Lucius, you filthy bastard, still trying to break your record of non-bathing?" His voice trilled with excitement as he spoke.

"And you Peyton... What's that I see, you've got a little..." He leaned in close and produced a small copper coin from behind her ear. She was still a child - or at least she was in his eyes - at their last encounter. It was hard to see the woman before him. Plus, all humans looked the same.

• Haha
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Lucius and Peyton
"That's because you found me in a gutter." Had he been of sober mind at the time she likely would have gotten the same reaction as Flinch, but when he'd first seen Peyton the only emotion that he'd felt had been utter shame.

The last two weeks had felt that drip away, through no small effort of hers.

Lucius had grown comfortable in his own skin, at least somewhat. As the great bird man walked over to them and touched their faces he couldn't help but smirk. "Where have you been old friend?"

The young Pirate immediately decided not to set the focus on himself. There was nothing pleasant in his past five years, and it was best to avoid talking about it at all cost.

He suddenly help but feel a little more at home.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Peyton and Finch
Peyton's head tipped to one side and she shrugged "Eh.. I Suppose.." she smirked and looked up at Finch, her golden eyes studying him, remembering him though he was tough to forget. She leaned into his feathered hand with a soft smile that grew as he performed his trickery with the coin as he had done all those years ago. Tears welled in her eyes and threatened to spill over, she turned her head away and pulled in a breath, the back of her wrist quickly catching a droplet and she laughed under her breath. "Shit.."

"Glad you're here, Finch. I missed you." she beamed, wrapping her arms around the bird man in a tight squeeze, a mixed bag of emotions as the crew seemed to be slowly coming back together.

• Devil
  • Cheer
Reactions: Lucius and Finch
Finch whistled a few cheery notes in excitement, in the space of a few moments his life had been upturned. He was reunited with his family - part of them at least.

The bird was not shy, not did he turn away an opportunity to discuss himself. Thankfully, Lucius provided him such a chance. "Oh me? I've been flitting between ships, had some captains court me, BEG for me to stay aboard - the usual." He said with a wink and a grin. A bard was a useful addition to any crew, and Finch was one of the best - at least in his own opinion.

The reunion was short lived, the towering figure of Sol decided to interject and cast a disdainful glance towards the trio. "Oi, feathered fuck you done distractin' the boys? We've got work to do." Finch shuddered, then strode confidently towards the towering figure. The bird was not small, yet even he was a head shorter than the broad heavy-set man. Despite the disparity, his big personality seemed to grant him that extra head.

"Sol, my dear pal... Sol... you talk to me or any of my friends here like that again and I tell the crew you've been skimming from the plunder." His melodic voice faded to a hard whisper and the birds yellow eyes fixed unwavering on the man.

The mans nostrils flared, he began to radiate violence and seethe visibly towards Finch. "Don't know if it's true, but it'd be a fun rumour to spread." Mischief flashed in his amber eyes, suddenly the quartermaster looked small in comparison. Eventually, the standoff ended with Sol retreating, mumbling inaudibly as he left.

"Now, tell me... what have you two been up to then?" His demeanour changed to the friendly, happy-go-lucky bard, as if the prior confrontation had simply never happened.

• Popcorn
It was in that moment Lucius decided he was going to kill Sol.

The man had disrespected Peyton, and now he'd done the same to Finch. The three of them had not been together for half a decade, and the interjection had been like a barrel falling into an empty tavern. His fingers tightened.

Lucius knew what had to be done, but the right moment would have to be found. His frown turned, and he glanced back towards Finch and Peyton. "Me? Nothing much to speak of I'm afraid."

He didn't want to tell his old friend that he'd spent the last few years being no better than a simple gutter rut. Shame still clung to him, and he hoped that Peyton would pick up on that.

"She's the one whose honed her craft." Lucius said as he wrapped an arm around Peyton. "Can find her way through the Eye of Kiva I reckon."

• Bless
Peyton did pick up on that, and she smirked as he changed the subject onto her and patted him on the stomach as his arm wrapped around her. "Eh. I'm workin' on it." she grinned and shrugged a shoulder, cheeks heating despite her smugness.

"I just go with the highest bidder.. Last few voyages that's been Anderson.." she sighed and bit on her lip gently "Sol calls me a navagatwhore.." her eyes rolled, her expression making clear how unamused she'd been by the comment.

Looking between them though, it was difficult for that expression to linger long, it'd been the first time she'd felt somewhat safe amongst this particular crew, The Devil's Whore was not crewed the most friendly or respectful of pirates, and so she'd had to stay close to Captain Anderson to assure her own safety, but he was a handsy bastard too.

"I really have missed you both." she smiled.

• Sip
"Well if you're going with the highest bidder, I can see why he calls you a navagatwhore." He snickered a little bit, despite still viewing the woman before him as a little girl, he wasn't going to let the opportunity pass.

He paused for a moment, his face losing its vigour and charisma. Suddenly, despite his feathered and usually jolly features, Finch looked almost remorseful for a long moment. "Yes, I can't say I've enjoyed the frequent migration. Haven't quite found a family like we had." He shuddered as if attempting to shake away the negative feelings and sensations that had suddenly crowded him.

In the distance, the crew rippled, various shouts and calls cried out from the masses as people slowly found themselves to their stations.

Finch, yawned. Manual labour was above him, he was the life of the party - and the lookout - he wasn't here to get sweaty in the sun.

"So, can either of you direct me to the second officer's cabin? I'm requisitioning it from him, Captain's orders - although I'm not sure he's been told yet." He cackled.

• Sip
"You don't have to worry about Sol anymore." Lucius assured Peyton, slipping away from her side with a smile as he quickly glanced at the crew members still working on the deck.

Most of them were a surly bunch, though a few of them showed some clear excitement about the fact that Finch was here.

He supposed that was normal, but I'm the back of his mind the young Pirate reminded himself that this was not the Concordant. These people were not to be trusted until they proved themselves, and even then he would have to be watchful. If not for his own sake, then Peyton's.

Fingers tightened for a moment, and then he regarded Finch with a shrug. "No idea, I just got here."

He glanced at Peyton expectantly.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Finch
Her lips pressed tightly together as she gave Finch a look, he seemed to find Sol’s joke amusing, she didn’t, but she was a little more able to tolerate it from Finch at least and she gave him a half smirk.

“Nor are we likely to..” she answered sadly as he spoke of their family.. “But at least we three are sailing together again. It should make this a little more bearable..” she sighed, and pivoted to point at the steps she and Lucius had just come from. “First cabin on the left down there.” she grinned at him.. “Good luck with that...”

As Lucius let go of her she frowned at him, or, more at his words.. “What’s that supposed to mean?..” she asked with a hint of concern in her tone. She felt better with Lucius being here but Sol could pull rank and he knew that. Her gaze narrowed, and she gave him a look, hoping he wasn’t planning anything stupid. “Let’s just get this done. I have a plan in mind.. might require a bit of help if it goes south..” she bit on her lip.

• Wonder
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Lucius and Finch
"Lucius, you sure you want to go down that road?" He paused. His voice suddenly taking a husky and dark edge. Finch considered Lucius one of his old friends and even if the last few years hadn't been too kind to him. Even if they had been separated, Finch still saw past the grime and stink and saw his comrade.

That said, he also knew a losing battle. Lucius was a determined one and one of the best fighters Teth had ever seen. There was no stopping him once he set his mind on something.

He nodded towards Peyton as she directed him to his new cabin. Finch's ears - or whatever his equivalent was - perked up at the idea of a plan and he smiled towards Peyton.

"I don't suppose this plan could use the help of the finest bard in Teth." He cackled softly. Finch loved a bit of duplicity and deviousness. The best ballads and stories always sprung from daring plans, raids, actions - nobody found themselves immortalised in song by being boring after all.

• Thoughtful
"Don't worry about it." He told the both of them with a smile on his face.

Most might have seen him as a junkie, but Lucius knew his own quality. Two weeks was hardly enough time to get back into proper form, but facing an oaf like Sol was something he could do any day of the week. Especially when the bastard wouldn't see him coming.

For a brief moment he glanced around, spotting one of the crew members who looked the right sort. He noted him, and then turned half around to look back at Peyton.

She mentioned a plan, and he couldn't help but smile.

They had not yet left, but he realized in that moment how glad he was to be here. It was good to feel like he was part of something again, good to feel like someone actually wanted him to be around. Being around people, people who wanted him for more than muscle...that was something. "What's the plan?

He asked with a smirk.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Finch
She did worry about it.. “Whatever it is please be careful. They’d throw the lot of us overboard without a second thought.” she cautioned quietly to Lucius, though she had no doubt in his abilities to handle Sol, she just preferred to keep things as peaceful as possible. It was why she didn’t stab every man that gripped her chin in the way the captain did.

Peyton fought a grin as she looked between them both as they pressed for more information, she glanced at the captain who was in the gallery talking with Sol and she let out a quiet huff. “I need you both to turn a few heads our way. We need to start crewing your, we’ll need as many crew on our side as we can muster. I have my eyes on the galleon we’re going after. I plan on knocking us off course by a half day’s sail. I’ll only bring us back on track when he agrees its mine. But we’ll need enough men to sail it, and potentially fight for us should it come to that.” she told them in a quieter tone with a grin on her face as though she were telling a very funny story.

“And hey! Hey may try to kill me but he’ll never find the fuckin’ ship without me hence I might need some fuckin’ help!” She laughed.. Punchline.

• Popcorn
He snickered away to himself. If Finch had a single annoying trait, it would be his constant giggling and chortling. "Well they may turn against you two, but who could dare raise arms against THE Finch?" His beak fell into a wry smile - or thereabouts.

"Oh Peyton, what you're saying is you need someone to sway the hearts and minds of this lowly crew... Inspire them to rise up." He started cackling quietly to himself, by the time he'd finished speaking, the cackle had grown - although not loud enough to draw outsider attention.

"A few drinking contests with me and Lucius, several performances and maybe that rumour about Sol and I assure you, we can have them craving a good ol' mutiny." He spoke with enthusiasm and glee, his eyes staring off into the distance as the gears in his head turned.

"Lucius, do you remember the Eaglehead incident?" He squawked excitedly, his feathers ruffling as he reminisced on the prison riot they had caused.

"Anyway, I need to go to my cabin, evict the third officer and prep for today's show!" He gave the two of them a wink, flicked the coin he had pulled from Peyton's ear towards her and stuck his tongue out towards Lucius.

• Sip
"I remember it like yesterday." Lucius lied through his teeth, offering the bird a smile as he walked away.

The truth of it was that his mind was a muddle. He remembered quite a bit, but there were massive blank spots all over his memories. Whatever incident Finch had referenced, Lucius had no memory.

A frown touched his face.

He wouldn't be as good at turning heads and rousing the crew as Finch, but he could still do his best. Plus there was still what he planned to do with Sol. He knew it wouldn't earn them many friends, but some might at least see he was capable.

Sometimes at sea that was better than friendship.

"You ready for this?" Lucius asked. "Gonna be a tough run."

Especially if this plan worked out all together

• Cheer
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Finch and Peyton
Peyton chuckled at Finch and nodded "That's what I'm saying Finchy." she grinned up at him, his excitement had always been infectious. She nodded to him and caught the coin with a warm smile "See you soon! Try to stay out of trouble in the meantime." she mused, shaking her head as he left.

She sighed at Lucius' question and nodded with determination "I am. I reckon we could get the Trident going with fifty men, but no less. They'll want promises, but the cargo will need to be handed over, it's the only way he's going to allow us to take the ship.. I'll just have to sweet talk him and try not to get my throat cut." she laughed nervously.

"No pressure."

• Sip
Finch chuckled as he strutted away from the duo, his talons tapping audibly against the deck with each step he made. He moved slowly, thoughtfully at first, plucking his strange holed dagger from his side and raising carefully to his beak.

The tapping of his talons became more rhythmic with each step and as he stepped into the mass of the crew readying the ship to depart he began to blow into his weapon - creating a very familiar tune to all those aboard.

Shanties were a staple aboard a ship, encouraged to get the crewmen, and women, working like a perfectly oiled machine. Needless to say, a shanty about revolts or mutinies would be incredibly unpopular. Thankfully, Finch could improvise with a classic.

"So I give you fair warning before we belay..." His melodic voice carried perfectly across the ship, the sailors smiled and they themselves began to hum the innocuous tune as they carried on their work.

"To me, way, hey, blow the man down!" His singing was intermittent - split between his voice and his flute. He smiled at the private joke between himself, Lucius and Peyton.

With that, he reached the cabin, kicked the door with his talon and prepared for an eviction.

• Haha
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Lucius and Peyton
"No one's gonna touch you." If the Captain wanted to hurt Peyton he would have to go through him, and probably Finch too.

The crew was...well, every minute he spent among them Lucius couldn't help but think their quality somehow went down, but no crew was perfect. They just needed enough for the ship initially, after that things could be changed.

As for the cargo? Ship was worth more than that. Especially if it was theirs.

"We'll have to make sure Vel Anir doesn't come after us." He mused, a gente hand urging her towards the railing as the ship began to prepare to leave the docks."Those bastards can be nasty."

That was an understatement.

• Bless
Peyton smiled at Lucius' reassurance and sighed.. "I believe you." she nodded, and she did, she certainly felt far less vulnerable with him and Finch being aboard with her.. "Being pushed around sort of gets old.." she shrugged, and her lips twisted thoughtfully as she accompanied to the side of the boat and leaned.

She gave a light nod at his words and laced her fingers together, absently wringing them "Aye.. They can." she bit on her lip. "I'm sorry for springing this on you now that you can't back out..." she laughed under her breath and looked up at him with an expression of guilt. "If I'm being mad just tell me. I don't want to drag you into trouble. I just want.." she frowned. She wanted her old crew. A ship manned by people she could trust (as far as trusting went in their world), that wouldn't shove her around and belittle her..

"Gods I'm being stupid." she laughed and unlaced her fingers to rub at her face.

• Wonder