Private Tales What the Sea Holds

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Bastian watched quietly for a moment as Inina poked at her feet.

He had never considered that such a sight nor curiosity would be possible. If someone had asked him a year ago he would have told them the chance of meeting a mermaid was less than zero. Here he was now though, embroiled in all this...mess.

A smiled touched his lips as she asked her question. "Let me worry about that."

He told her with a wave of his hand.

Making money was something he'd always been good at, though it hardly came from methods most would find 'acceptable'. Not that he would share that information with Inina any time soon.

From the sink in the room he scooped up some of the water, bringing it towards the mermaid before he sat himself down.

"They're alright." He told her, referring to his wounds.

She took the water from him and shrugged, waiting for him to bring his legs up onto the bed to study the wounds. Nina lifted her eyes to him, chewing idly on her lip as she considered him for a moment. She had grown tired of hearing how valuable she was and how she'd make a pretty penny. She hadn't really understood why, but they'd seemed too interested in her gifts, and so it only made sense that she should try to be more discreet with them..

With a quiet huff she dipped her hands into the water and cupped her hands before holding them over his legs. She wasn't sure how different this water was to the sea water, or if it would even work at all, but she concentrated for a moment before allowing the water to seep through her fingers and fall onto his legs. The droplets ran over the wounds, as though they had a mind of their own, and slowly they began knitting the flesh back together until only a few light scars remained..

"How's that?"

• Stressed
Reactions: Bastian
Bastian grimaced, but not because there was any pain.

Magic wasn't a thing in Vel Anir, not really. The only people capable of such feats were Dreadlords, and they...they were not to be trifled with even on the best of days. He frowned for a moment, forcing himself to stay put.

"Uh...better." He said swallowing slightly.

There was a distinct discomfort in having magic touch him, though why he couldn't have really said. She had healed him, taken away the pain. That was a good thing. Nothing bad about it.

So why were the hairs standing up on the back of his neck?

"Th-" He frowned. "Thank you."

Bastian said finally.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Inina
Nina watched him, her head tilting slightly as he seemed uncomfortable and she withdrew her hands. Her cheeks flushed furiously and she frowned uncertainly at him. "Did I do something wrong?.. Don't you have healers?.." she asked.

Bastian frowned. "I uhh...no."

Without thinking he'd answered both of her questions. She hadn't done anything wrong at all, and they didn't have healers. At least not where he was from. There were apothecaries in the slums of course, people who claimed to be doctors, but calling either of them healers would have been generous. His lips thinned for a moment and he shook his head.

"Magic.. Was it even magic? It had to be, there wasn't exactly another good explanation for her healing his wounds with what seemed to be simple water. "Things like that don't really happen where I'm from."

Rather, if they did the people doing them were swiftly taken away.

Any magic found on the street was usually quickly reported, especially in the Slums. Dreadlocks paid well for such information, and more than once Bastian had heard of a parent selling out their own child just for a chance at a better life. "I-its just not something I'm used to."

He said slowly.

"Oh.. I see.." she answered quietly, her gaze falling as she nodded in understanding. "I'm sorry, I'll keep that in mind." she frowned.

"Is that why they were so interested in me?..." she frowned. "That woman used magic. It felt like she tried to crush me.."

• Sip
He shook his head. "It's alright."

Bastian didn't want her to think that what she'd done had been wrong. They weren't in Vel Anir and such a gift was...well it was a good thing. Of course she was probably right about why they wanted her, though knowing the nobility back home the reason might have had even more to it.

A small shudder ran through him as he remembered some of the stories of what happened at the parties the Noble houses gathered for. It made even his stomach turn. He was a monster, but those on high were an all together different sort.

"Sort of, I think." Bastian said, deciding not to give her the details of this rumors. "She was a Dreadlocks."

He told her softly. "They're the reason magic isn't common. When someone...when someone back home shows they're capable of using magic, they're taken and trained to become soldiers. Weapons."

Bastian doubted that would have happened with her. No. She would have ended up as some nobles plaything, or worse.

"People like me...we don't really see them much." Something Bastian was truthfully rather happy about.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Inina
Her violet eyes widened for a brief moment as he explained the dreadlords. She had lived a peaceful life and her people hadn't known threat or war for centuries, she had no idea things were so different on the surface. She had already learned how cruel humans could be, but everything he said just served to make her long for her home even more.

"I see.." she repeated and swallowed, looking toward the window as though imagining all of the terrible things.

"Where, will you go?.." she asked as she looked back to him.

• Stressed
Bastian hesitated a moment, frowning. "I..."

The question wasn't exactly one that he had been expecting, mostly because he hadn't thought that Inina would actually care.

People where he were from were naturally selfish. Looking out for others got you killed. Helping those who needed help was...was dangerous. Lips thinned for a second, his eyes closing as he reached up and ran a hand through his hair.

"Home I guess." He said quietly. "I...didn't do anything wrong."

This time. "Might even get a reward for telling them about the mutineers."

Or he would just get executed.

It was hard to tell.