Private Tales What I Wouldn't Give To Be Free...

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Alana Solace

mercenary
Character Biography
Link
The Salty winds blew upon Alana's face as Vel Anir, her inescapable home appeared. Night had fallen and it was the perfect time to reappear after so many years on different sea journeys. As if on routined orders, she nodded at a few of her crew and the ship slowed before finding a well-hidden spot away from the port but close enough that she could walk without being noticed. Why the secrecy? Alana didn't want even the slightest chance for her parents to figure out she was in town. She wasn't scared of them but she knew for sure that they would try everything that they could to bring her back to the cage that she so desperately tried to escape the first time.

"Gigi, watch the ship for me like always. I need some of my crew to keep post. Those who don't can enjoy a night off, we sail again before the crack of dawn." Alana instructed as she left her crew to figure out who would enjoy the night on the ship and who would enjoy the night off, the only person who loved remaining onboard was Gigi and that was only if Alana hadn't commanded her to enjoy the night elsewhere. Alana knew she could count on Gigi which was rare for her as she didn't trust most people other than the family she had built within her crew.

As she walked a little ways towards the ports of Vel Anir, Alana's mind began to wonder about her blood family and how they were doing with their heiress. Her mother was probably still upset that her own daughter screwed her over and her father was probably heartbroken that his life accomplishments wouldn't be so easily attainable now. She wondered about the loud conversation they would probably have if she ever returned and probably wouldn't be able to stand the way her father would probably look at her, with such disdain or rather such disappointment. Her relationship with each of her parents was different, she hated them both but she could hide the fact that she had a weakness for her father. She would always remember the promise he gave her when they had nothing and couldn't help but feel guilty that she screwed him over but who screwed who over first? After all, he was going to marry her off to a richer family so that they could elevate, and at the time she was only a 19-year-old girl who wasn't really prepared to settle down, much less with an older man.

Alana finally shut her thoughts off as she had only come to Vel Anir to rest and enjoy a night out before going back to a life of a mercenary which had its perks. The life she was living now was way better than the one she was going to live and there was no doubt about that.

Alana quickly passed through the port and stopped at a nearby tavern, a tavern she usually went to in order to drink her problems away without anyone noticing that she was a Solace. Here and there she would get a little bit of recognition but her solid glares would usually drive those people to keep their mouths shut. Upon entering the midnight tavern as it was called, Alana went to a table in the farthest corner and settled away from prying eyes. She would enjoy a drink alone, get wasted, or something like that, Alana really didn't have any plans or thoughts about where that night might take her. So she sat until a bar maiden would be open to serve her.

Henk

After the bar maiden seated the scar-faced man, she quickly made her way over to Alana who had gotten up after finishing a mug of strong ale. "Alana... a dread lord is here and you know the midnight tavern don't want no bad business." The bar maiden said quietly as she didn't want to boldly disrespect the man in front of his face but still wanted to voice her opinion. Alana stood there for a minute, she wasn't completely wasted but all of her senses weren't completely there either. She still could defend herself and walk but she couldn't hide the fact that she was almost wasted as she stood with a little lean. She rubbed her forehead as she rolled her eyes in annoyance as all she asked for was one peaceful night.

"Why do you I care?" Alana said slowly looking over the bar maiden who press her foot into the wooden floor and clenched her fist.

"Because..." She said through gritty teeth, glancing casually at the man before pitching Alana's arm, "He's a feckin dreadlord..."
At this Alana sighed before pulling her arm away as she knew the Bar maiden would only pester her more about the "problem".

"Fine, but you owe me some gold and another ale. Also, deal with Smith over there. He's the real problem, in my opinion, always wanting to fight someone even when he can barely stand." Alana advised before slowly making her way over to the Initiate's table. She didn't ask to sit as she didn't care to request a seat at his table, instead she just plopped down in the seat across from him, crossed her arms, and leaned back in her chair. "Seems you caused a bit of ruckus with just one entrance. Not everyone has that skill. Nice skill to have." Alana started off mockingly before sighing ready to get down to a real reason why she came over,

"What are you doing here dreadlord?" She asked straightforwardly before glancing at the bar maiden who smiled her way and then went back to work, making sure Alana's request was completed in the process of her working.

"I also would like to say, I personally don't care about any of whatever is going on but I'm doing this out of... the goodwill of my heart. Dreadlords really don't show their faces in the midnight tavern unless they come to bother the people of the port and even that is rare. So, tell me what you are here for, and then I will stop pestering you because as I said before... I don't care." Alana said not caring that her natural way of speaking didn't match the way she was dressed. At a distance, she was a pirate captain but by the way, she spoke, she was a well-educated one, so much so that one could mistake her for a lady.

Henk

The barmaids were courteous to Henk, at least to his face. After he'd taken his seat, they brought him something to drink and flashed him bright smiles. He knew they just didn't want to get in trouble though. This was why Henk never went to taverns unless he was out on a mission; they all knew who he was here, more or less. He could hear the word whispered on lips throughout the little place. 'Dreadlord'. Technically he was a Dreadlord in training, but people who thought somebody was out to get them never seemed to make that distinction. It'd be another year or so before he was a fully-fledged Dreadlord, not that he looked too forward to the day.

Every so often he would cast a glance over to that one woman. He would have looked right past her normally (Not to imply that she was ugly or anything-- Henk wasn't in the habit of ogling strangers), but it was her clothes that stuck out. She wasn't dressed like anybody else in this little shack, and his training taught him to take that as a cue to be on guard. The people here seemed to know her though; one of the barmaids had shuffled over to speak some hushed words to her, like she was afraid he'd hear how much of a pain in the ass she thought he was.

Henk shook his head, closing his eyes and bringing the swill he'd been given to his lips. Certainly wasn't tasty, but he was thirsty enough after the walk from the Academy to the Port to not mind the bitter taste on his tongue. The initiate shut his eyes, shivering a bit as he felt the warmth of the grog settle in his stomach. When he opened them up again, he was met by the very one he'd been watching sitting across from him. That was why you kept an eye on people: Look away for a second and they can be on you before you know it.

"That gentleman on the ground caused the ruckus, Miss. I meant for no such thing to happen." It wasn't Henk's fault the drunkard had picked a fight he couldn't win, although he'd admit it was a lofty hope to get a drink at port without anybody giving him flak for it. Henk took another sip from his mug, giving her a once over. She was clean, but she smelled of the sea. Definitely had been on the water then. Didn't have the grimy garb of a working sailor though. She was dressed far too nicely. She looked like the kind of woman you'd see in a seafarers fairytale book.

"As for why I'm here, I'm getting a drink before I continue about my work. I was hoping that maybe my life- long service to the city would get me five minutes of peace but..." Henk shook his head, leaning back himself. "I forget that I'm a pawn in politics. I represent something to these people." Whatever that something was, it varied from person to person.

Really he shouldn't have been answering her questions. Even as an Initiate he was a member of the Anirian Military, and therefore had no reason to say anything regarding his work. Henk was not nearly as... prickly as some of his classmates though. His ideals were far different, and he did not thrive on violence and battle as so many did.

"So, is it common for port taverns to hire pirates as bouncers, or am I special in that case as well?" He'd put it together now. A sailor, but not a working one. Dressed nicely, clean skin, confident with an aura of authority. She might have been the damned captain. It wasn't uncommon to get them here, though usually they came and went rather quickly. "The last time a woman randomly came to my table at a tavern, they tried to charge me. I'm not in the midst of another scheme, am I? Either way, I'll be off in a few minutes."

Alana Solace

She giggled at the man's restless attitude and talkative nature, someone who could keep up with her. Alana felt her smile and softly let it drift afloat as her mind returned to the reality of her world, a not-so-happy one. "I'm not a bouncer and trust me I don't want your money. I have far better ways of getting money and that does include mugging a dreadlord... initiate." Alana said as she had been observing him too and from the way, he brought up the subject of politics, she knew that he wasn't fully a dreadlord or he could have been fooling her well. "leaving already? Come on Dreadlord, live a little." Alana chuckled as she stood up. She was either about to do something naively stupid or stupidly naive.

"You know what, I've lived on your side of the fence, and let me tell you, it's one bore of a life. Air out your draws a little, drink your problems away... nothing can go wrong with that. Especially when you have me around, not that I'm anything special but I know my share of good fun." Alana said, before producing her hand for a handshake which some people gawked at. "Names, Alana..." She was about to say her last name but thought better of it.

At that moment, a drink was served to Alana and the bar maiden from early gave her a small bag of coins as requested earlier. She smiled drunkenly at Henk and then patted the Bar Maiden on the back before gifting the bar maiden with the drink she just served. "Come on Serena, you've worked really hard and the night is only beginning." Command as the tavern people began to rally and grow in energy. Serena, the bar maiden who had the pleasure of serving Henk, giggle and batted her eyelashes at Alana who winked in return.

Alana then raised her voice over the loud crowd before getting on the Henk's table which caused a hush to fall over the tavern. "Even though a dreadlord has joined us for the night, do not frat with fear. He drinks his problems away just as any other human would. So continue on and let this night be a night of courageousness!" Alana shouted before chuckling with the roar of the tavern. She got down from the table and looked at Henk, "See fixed. live for tonight dreadlord, and who knows what people might think of you now will be forgotten." Alana finally said to Henk.

Everything seemed to be going well until, Serena the bar maiden who had taken a little taste of the drink she served, fell face forward onto Henk's table and then down upon the floor, foaming at the mouth. The crowd continued on as normally not really noticing before another bar maiden swiftly serving drinks let out a high pitch scream. Alana looked back and her smile instantly disappeared as she noticed Serena's state, convulsing on the ground... tears dripping from her eyes as foam slid from her mouth. It had become apparent that she had been poisoned and that the poison wasn't meant for Serena but for captain Alana. The tavern went silent as Alana made her way to the now still body.

• Nervous
Reactions: Henk
Henk wasn't sure why, but the laid-back attitude of this pirate was far beyond his comfort zone. If Alana, as she called herself, had tried to get a lot of the other initiates to unwind and have some debaucherous fun in a tavern full of booze and women, she probably would have had some luck. Henk was... more of a reserved type. Whatever her definition of 'fun' was, the scar-faced man was all but certain it wouldn't involve anything he was knowledgeable about. Nevertheless, when she offered him her hand, the Initiate reached out and shook it briefly, hoping his unusually warm skin didn't startle her too terribly much.

"Henk. You'll forgive me if I'm not experienced in the whole 'drink and be merry' thing." A cocked up a smirk found his lips.

A barmaid returned, the same one who'd given him the fake smile before reporting him to a pirate, mind you. The grin plastered on her face this time was far more genuine, though the amused Dreadlord couldn't tell if it was out of apology or admiration for Alana.

She certainly seemed popular here... Maybe it would be beneficial to make an ally of her after all, apprehension aside. The bar was being expertly raised into an absolutely raucous state, and Henk merely grinned into his drink, watching the exuberant pirate do what she did best.

"So what's the catch?" He mused, failing to hide how interesting he found the whole display. "You're going to show me a good time, but what do you get in return?" Henk was young, but he wasn't naive. Pirates weren't in the business of giving out fun for free. One had to be careful of stumbling into any deals they didn't truly want to be a part of.

Of course, before she had time to give him any answer, the sound of the barmaid hitting the floor brought everything happening in the building to a stop. Any trace of amusement left Henk's scarred features as his eyes rested on the poor girl, foam pouring from her mouth, her face swelling up grotesquely. Alana was quick to be at her side, but Henk knew just by looking that she was beyond saving. Lowering his mug to the ground, he let out a sigh.

He'd almost let himself unwind, too.

"I'd say you're the one who needs to be concerned about living through the night, Miss Alana..."

Alana Solace

• Sip
Reactions: Alana Solace
"This is not the time for jest dreadlord..." Alana finally spoke, her voice numb and cold as she watched a well-acquitted maiden pass on to the afterlife. As if on cue and not very noticeable, a figure in the silent crowd of the midnight tavern made their way out as if a deed unsuccessful in one way but very successful in another was accomplished. Alana didn't notice nor care to notice who had left and as on cue, the rest of the tavern folk began to make their way out of the tavern afraid that they would be next.

Alana didn't shed any tears as long ago she had learned that weeping didn't get a person anywhere in life, that it only made them susceptible to the torment of the ideology of what true weakness looked like. She thought herself stronger in silence as the silence grew louder, Alana made herself a promise.

She would find whoever was after her and she would personally see them dead. Alana continued to examine the Bar Maiden's face until she noticed something about the eyes of the now late Serena. Daringly she got closer to Serena's face and smelled the air around the Maiden's mouth. She then gently poked at the cheeks before standing up and turning slowly to the Dreadlord. Her eyes were burning with fire and it was all directed towards the man she had just met that night.

"Magic..." Alana said slowly and firmly, the word rolling out her mouth and darting at Henk like a dagger thrown skilfully by a shadow warrior.

Could it have been this initiatie? Was her order to cause fear among the port in order to get the people under the dreadlords thumb? What was his real directive in coming here? thoughts attacked Alana's mind as she silently step forward, piling another step on top of her first. "I swear to all things good, I will shove a mug down your throat if you don't explain." Alana finally accused as Henk was the only magic user in the tavern that night.

Alana could be wrong among many things. She had never met an initiate of the dreadlords who spoke so low of them but then again, Henk could be a well-rounded liar. So she would set up a test if he convinced her that he wasn't the killer that she believed him to be then maybe he would save himself from an endless hunt that she would be ever persistent in until he died.

Henk

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Henk
Several things became clear very quickly in the span of only a few minutes after that poor barmaid met with her unexpected death.

Somebody wanted this pirate woman dead. Such fast acting poison wasn't particularly common, and it would cost a fairly decent sum to procure. The fact that somebody was willing to use such an expensive dose of poison on Alana meant that somebody was willing do to whatever it took to have her head on a platter. Henk certainly didn't envy Alana, but then some part of him wondered if they assailant knew what they were dealing with; Alana struck him as a hard one to take out.

Second, Alana fully intended to pin this incident on him. Her goodwill was indeed quite fragile, as only moments ago she was offering him a night the likes of which he'd never had in his young life, and she glared at him as if he were the most infernal of demons in all of Arethil. Henk's features softened a bit as she accosted him. It actually did sting, just a little, that she would turn on him so readily after making him feel as though he could spend an evening as anything other than what he was: A Dreadlord.

Third, it was clear that Alana actually didn't know that much about Dreadlords. If she had, she wouldn't have thought it to be some wizardry that had killed her friends. They were killers, yes... but usually much less subtle than that. If for some reason it had been decided that Serena needed to die, it wouldn't have been so covert. Still, he understood. From what little he'd seen of the two of them, it seemed clear that they were somewhat close. It was only natural she would lash out at him.

The scar-faced man bowed his head, responding to her threat with a voice much softer than her own. "I am sorry, Alana, for your loss." Straightening once more, Henk crosses his arms, looking down at the corpse with a frown. "But I had nothing to do with that. That was no sorcery, that was a drink laced with poison. Even if I had wanted her dead, I had no chance to put anything of the sort in that mug. You know that as well as I."

A long pause. This was... partially his fault though. If Alana hadn't been trying to rile Henk up and get him to play along with her, she wouldn't have passed that drink to Selene, most likely. It would land him in trouble with the Academy, but...

"I will help. We will find who did this to your friend together. As a thank you, for... trying to include me."

Alana Solace