Completed What Did You Think Was Going to Happen?

Liv had no idea how to even find Raphael. This stupid manor was the bane of her existence and definitely the hardest thing she had ever had to contend with.

A house.

A house was the hardest thing she had ever fought.

A fucking house!

Liv was growing more angry with every passing second. She slammed into a wall and cursed. That wall had not been in this room earlier...wait...she had been in this room before. Was there a pattern to how the house moved?

She walked against the wall until her hand found a doorknob and she pushed it open. It opened to a lantern lit foyer with three hallways leading from it.

"Fuck me," Liv cursed.

The Hand did not know which one to choose but she swore she heard noise coming from the center hall.

The question was obviously not something he had the answer to. But she wouldn't believe the truth if he said it to her. He had been hit hard against the wall from her toss. His mind and body were both reeling from exhaustion and there was likely no right way to maneuver what was now happening. The only silver lining being that she hadn't killed him yet. Maybe Liv got out. He hoped so.

Raphael pushed himself upward just barely enough to lean against the wall behind him. He coughed and spat blood from his mouth. Gods, he wasn't cut out for this kind of shit.

"You wouldn't know them."

"That is now what I asked you. How do you know where I am? Who sent you to attack me and my home?"

"Eh, just some guys. You know, real hunter types. Got like uhhhh what's it called."

Raphael snapped his fingers trying to find the right word. When he did, he snapped them one last time and pointed a finger at a random direction in the darkness.

"A bounty! That's right."

"Who placed the bounty?"

"Well shit, I don't know, I'm jus-"

It felt like a cannon had shot him in the gut. Her foot connected so hard with his rib it was definitely broken. Raphael keeled over one more time, trying to catch his breath.

Liv made her way down the center hall with great care. She was more than a little afraid of triggering anything in this damn house or alerting the vampire to her presence. She needed the element of surprise if she was going to get herself and Raphael out of this place in one piece.

She liked to think of herself as resourceful and she only had one option for getting rid of the bitch...she needed to find some wood or a sword. Either would work well enough. Stake to the heart or slicing off her head were both options if she could find a weapon.

She heard something for sure this time and headed towards the door that the noise had some from. She opened the door ever so slowly and looked into the dimly lit room in time to see Raphael keel over. Liv swore to herself and closed the door again. She turned to look around the area for anything she could use to kill the vampire madwoman.

Slumping in the darkness he noticed something about himself that he was beyond happy to recognize. That though he was in a position that almost certainly meant he would die; he still would refuse to give up Oliviana's position. Now, he didn't exactly know where she was at the moment, especially considering that he couldn't see anything.

That didn't matter though. They'd fucked up, sure, but he wasn't going to let Oliviana take the fall because he wasn't strong enough. That wouldn't be how this ended.

His breath was shallow now that his rib had been cracked. He'd been making a habit of getting absolutely demolished lately. Maybe he should take it easy for a while after this. He still found it in himself to laugh. It was short and choppy, and he coughed through the whole thing, but he still laughed.

The shadows still hid her face so Raphael could not see her confused expression. She grew irritated beyond belief with this human pest that had mocked her throughout the entirety of this day.

"Do you find something amusing, trespasser? You must not be so stupid to be unaware of your current predicament?"

Raphael had to consider his response carefully. He wanted it to be perfect. A complete and utter decimation through words.

None came. Nothing clever at least.

He remembered his last stupid words to Olviana.

"I called her Liv." His laughter subsided.

Liv couldn't help the small smirk that crossed her lips at his answer to the vampire. Sure, it wasn't the best thing for him to say but it reminded her that she needed to punch him once she had rescued him and they had gotten the fuck out of this hellscape.

She had taken note of the distinct lack of wood in the manor so her plan of breaking a chair leg seemed to go out the window...or door...or whatever would shift into place. At least she knew where Raphael was now. She needed to find something and save him before the mean lady decided that he would be a delicious snack.

Liv looked once more at Raphael before disappearing back out of the room in silence.

If I was a weapon that could kill a vampire, where would I be?

That simple question was what she repeated over and over in her mind as she tore through the manor in desperate hope.

The vampire seemed confused but unamused by his antics. It was getting close to the end of her patience. If this buffoon actually knew anything he would have said something already. Unless he was that hellbent on keeping it a secret, which didn’t seem that plausible. What could be worth his life?

“So that’s it then? You’ve nothing to share that may provoke my leniency?”

Raphael scoffed. In the waves of accepting his death he just didn’t care about any dramatics that this elder thing might have in store for him. He’d protected Oliviana. That was enough for him.

If he had to die so she could return to The Empire and live happily, then hell yeah.

Leniency? You’d offer nothing of the sort. I may be foolish, but my wits aren’t as dim as they seem. You’ll kill me. I’ve no doubts about it. And for whoever sent me?”

Raphael leaned forward.

“You can blow it out your ass.”

The straw that broke the camel’s back. The vampire snarled in fury at his snide remarks, preparing to pounce. If these so called legendary monsters were anything to Raphael, they were fucking predictable.

Once he did this, he would fully collapse. There was no chance he’d have anything left. So he had to make it count. Leave the rest to fate. He didn’t think Oliviana would come back for him. He’d been such a thorn in her side. But nonetheless, he wouldn’t go down without a fight.

As the countess charged him, he returned the action much to her surprise. He took a claw to the shoulder blade as he got a fistful of her blouse. In agony he shrieked, but would not be thwarted from his task. In a blur of bright blue energy Raphael began to illuminate.

He looked a shock of moonlight against the water, though he sounded like a whirling gear, the remainder of his lightning flowing through him and emanating from his body.

“Boom.”

Famous last words from a much less famous man.

With that, Raphael detonated his Hath No Fury, a last ditch effort to bring the vampire down with him. A loud and glaring explosion of magical electricity burst from the center of the mage. Shrill screeches from the vampire could be heard echoing through her labyrinthine home.

The vampire was thrust against the nearest wall, her head whiplashing against it and triggering another yell of pain.

Raphael lay defeated. Barely breathing.

Oliviana Al'Vere

While Raphael had been busy being an idiot, Liv had found a sword. It was a very old looking sword that was probably dull as fuck but she hoped she could do some damage with it.

She didn't see the explosion as much as she felt it rock through the house. It caused her to start running (while praying the house wouldn't shift) towards where she had left Raphael and the vampire.

When she arrived, she saw the vampire first and she wasn't moving. Liv was not going to miss the chance to take the woman's head off. It took a good while to cut through her neck but, thanks to Raphael, the vampire was knocked out. She had never heard of that happening but who was she to complain?

Liv dropped the sword and ran to Raphael's prone form. She threw herself onto the ground and started to shake him.

"You're an idiot! Wake up!"

Raphael Thrice

It would have been nice to dream. He thought he’d at least get one more in before he was killed by the countess. It had just been black, though. A wall of emptiness.

That was until Oliviana woke him back up from his impromptu slumber. A face he wasn’t sure he’d see again. Actually, he definitely thought he never would.

“Ain’t you a sight for sore eyes.” He said weakly.

“Where’s the scary bitch?”

Oliviana Al'Vere

The sigh of relief that came from Liv when he opened his eyes and spoke was overwhelming. She didn't even realize that there were tears in her eyes until she saw the wet droplet fall onto the ground between them.

"Huh? Oh, she's dead. I cut off her head," she answered quickly while her hands roamed over his body to make sure he was not going to die from blood loss or something.

What happened next surprised even herself as she leaned down with watery eyes and kissed Raphael gently on the lips.

"I am so happy you are alive..." She smiled down at him once more.

Raphael Thrice

The kiss was unexpected. Told by his eyes. As was the fact that she’d just beheaded the vampire?! What was happening!?

Raphael could only laugh. What else did one do in moments like this? He went to lean upward and kiss her back, but an insurmountable pain shot through his ribs as he attempted to. He fell back to the hard ground and began breathing heavy.

“As wonderful a moment this is… I think I need serious medical attention…”

And when he laughed, she punched his arm. Sure, it was with a lot less force than she normally would have done it but he could understand the sentiment.

"Don't try to move, you dumbass," she growled at him as he fell back to the ground.

Liv stared down at him and shook her head. "Of course, you need serious medical attention, but I am not sure how I am supposed to get you out of here. You can't walk," she pointed out.

The house's magic had ceased to exist when the vampire had died so the front door was once again the front door. The magic did not seem to have some healing ability for those she had hurt.

"How long before you can more?"

Even with the lack of force the blow still felt heavy due to his injuries. He grimaced at it but retained his sense of comedy.

“Boo, I just wanted another kiss.” He chuckled again, his ribs being quite displeased with the reaction.

He wasn’t good at dictating medical needs other than level of severity. He’d used so much power today, more than he had ever prior. It was so difficult to judge what his energy would be like until he slept.

“If you get me started, perhaps I’ll be able to walk on my own. It’s going to hurt but it’s better than spending the night next to my beheaded assailant.”

“Well when we get out of here, I will find you a nice girl to smooch,” she said with a small smile.

She rose to her feet again and tried to figure out the best way to get him to his feet. Pulling him up wasn’t going to work because that would put too much strain on him.

“Hold your arms up,”
she ordered and bent once more to put her own arms under his to help him up. If he did want she said, she would use her weight and strength to pull him to his feet. Hopefully.

Impossible to read this one. Loves you one moment, wishes you’d keel over so she didn’t have to carry you the next. He shook his head, still smiling.

He listened to her, and let her take the bulk of the strength in this scenario. Once at his feet, he’d attempt to put his weight down on his feet. They hurt, but in a bit he may able to manage on his own.

“Thank you, by the way.” He said sheepishly.

“I wouldn’t have blamed you for leaving me for dead.”

Once they were moving (very slowly), he thanked her and it caught her off guard.

“I am the one who suggested this idiocy in the first place then you decided it was a great idea. We are both guilty parties and I will not leave someone when I was wrong,” Liv replied.

It was funny because the thought hadn’t even crossed her mind. She was normally the one who would leave a partner in a moment but with Raphael…it was different. She didn’t want to leave him. She didn’t want him to die.

“If we can get to a town or village with an inn, we can rest for a few days,” Liv said as they exited the manor and headed in the direction of home.

It dawned on Raphael that he still had no idea who Oliviana was. He knew her face, her drinking habits, her frontal cruelty. But not her.

Not her dreams, not her hates or her loves, not her passions or ideals. Years of facade friendships and vapid conversation led him to believe that people were just what they showed, or worse.

Oliviana was different. A fighter. And deep inside, even now, he could that she was better. That she was a good person, even if she wouldn’t hear it.

Tired from overthinking and the battle that was now behind him, he regretted how little he had left to say.

“Yeah, that sounds nice.”