Private Tales Warm Company on a Frosty Night

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Charity Briarthorne

Mischief-Maker
Cherry Rose Inc.
Character Biography
Link
To say Charity was nervous would be a grave understatement. Tonight, for the first time, her girlfriend Dianna was coming over for a visit. And it was a sleepover no less. When was the last time she had a woman stay overnight that wasn't just a one night stand? Charity wondered. Did her sisters count? No, she decided. Having her sister over, and having her girlfriend over were two totally different things.

Charity shook her head vigorously. There was no time for that! There were so many things left to do, and so little time to do them! But it wasn't like Dianna didn't already know about her somewhat messy lifestyle. Even so, Charity wanted everything to be perfect. At least for the night.

But first things first. Dinner. Charity lit the fireplace, and set about preparing the ingredients. She recalled Dianna speaking fondly of a venison stew her family made, and so had decided on that as the night's main course. Thanks to some guidance, and a list of ingredients and steps from Marilyn, Charity felt reasonably confident that all would turn out well. It also helped that the recipe was so simple. Potatoes and carrots were clumsily peeled and chopped, and dumped into a small cast iron pot. Then the small chunks of venison were added along with a messily minced onion, a few spices and a healthy amount of water. Charity carefully lifted the pot and gingerly carried it over to a flat stone placed just inside the fireplace. Despite her best efforts, a good bit sloshed over the side. Charity sighed and thanked her lucky stars that this was hopefully a one time thing.

Alright. One thing checked off her list. She looked around the room, each pass of her gaze finding more things that she had missed the first time around. Great... Just great. Charity puffed her cheeks and blew out the air. Well, there was no use putting it off any longer. Dianna could be arriving at any time! After changing into a plain dark brown skirt, she set to work. Books were returned to the bookshelf. Bags upon bags of gold and jewels gained through illicit means, stashed away in a small chest. The table was set with dishes and a bottle of wine, with the addition of a beautiful cake courtesy of Cleo.

Charity's eyes caught on the support beam in the center of the room, looking very much like a pincushion with knives of varying sizes and styles sticking out from it. She briefly considered hiding them, but ultimately figured that her collecting knives wouldn't come as much of a surprise considering what Dianna knew about her and her interests.

Next, she picked up Lucy's toys that were scattered around the room and placed them in a wooden crate next to a simple crib. Had she told Dianna about her niece? She honestly couldn't remember. Either way, Charity was sure Dianna would absolutely love her to bits. But they would have to meet another time. Lucy was off with Cleo for the night, and tonight was all about Charity and Dianna.

She shivered as she pondered what to do next. The nights had been cold as of late, and so she dug out another blanket from a closet and spread it over the bed. Though Charity hoped they wouldn't need it. If she got her way, she would be spending the night sleeping soundly, cuddled up to Dianna.

Charity paused as she made her way to stir the stew, and looked in the mirror. Did she look okay? Not one to care much about appearances, the thought of trying to look presentable for somebody else was an alien concept to Charity. But through the efforts, the saintly patience really, of her sisters, she had a basic grasp of what was needed, and the possibilities of what could be done with cosmetics. She approached and set to work with the multitude of tiny containers that sat on a shelf below it. Satisfied with her work, Charity pulled back from the mirror. It was all a bit messy, but she was sure Dianna wouldn't mind. The point of it was to show Dianna that she was making an effort. It didn't have to be perfect, or so she hoped. She fixed a tuft of hair that stubbornly stuck out just as a loud knock sounded at the door.

She beamed brightly as she opened the door. "Dianna!" Charity cried excitedly. "Come in! Come in!" Upon removing her coat, Dianna would find herself wrapped up in a tight hug. After a quick kiss on the cheek, Charity released Dianna. "Are you hungry?" she asked. "I made dinner! Or... tried to at least..."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dianna Calcutte
Dianna felt... Awkward.
It's not like she was predisposed to avoid confrontation or intense situations, as both a socialite and a soldier she was more than prepared for situations like that!

This was not that.

This was a date with Charity, and Dianna still wasn't quite used to the idea.
They had gone on a few public outings, Alliria is a big place and Charity knew it inside and out, but this was the first time that Dianna would get to see where Charity lived.

Ostensibly this was a dinner date, but it was with Charity so Dianna didn't have to dress up in anything fancy like she normally might have.
But at the same time, Charity isn't JUST Charity, she's her girlfriend now and Dianna wanted to do nice things for her, do herself up and be pretty. But just in subtle ways though, as if she were preparing for a trist with a man who did not care for frivolous things, like she so often read in fictional writings.

Just small enhancements to her eyes and mouth. But even though Charity wouldn't care what she wore one way or another, Dianna still wasted a good few minutes deciding what to wear.
She settled on some good seasonal clothes, a pair of trousers, a red tunic laced in the the front with a leather string, and a light coat.
Alliria didn't get nearly as cold as Mardania during the fall months, but it was enough to throw an extra layer on to ward off the chilly sea breezes, so she added a blue shawl as well.

Dianna consulted her mirror one last time before heading out the door. She smiled in approval at her reflection, it was like she'd finally shed any form of noble pretentiousness and was just a normal person, a soldier and a patriot with a loving girlfriend...
Dianna belted on her sword, picked up her basket containing a light contribution to their meal, and locked the door behind her as she left.
As she walked, following the directions Charity had given her, she reflected on how much she'd changed since she had entered a relationship with Charity. She had begun to sometimes see herself as the prince in the books she read, saving the damsel and riding into the sunset. Or she would still imagine she was the damsel, but the prince was actually a princess and a warrior coming to rescue her.

Such ideas were still strange to her, but again, so was all of her time in Alliria.

Dianna arrived at the tavern and went up the stairs to the room in Charity's instructions.
She took a deep breath to steady herself and knocked on the door, a little louder than she intended, but she straightened as she heard Charity's steps approach and the door opened.

She beamed brightly as she opened the door. "Dianna!" Charity cried excitedly. "Come in! Come in!"
Dianna met her greeting with a smile of her own!
"Charity! It's so good to see you again!"
She entered the small apartment and took off her shawl and coat.
Upon removing her coat, Dianna would find herself wrapped up in a tight hug. After a quick kiss on the cheek, Charity released Dianna. "Are you hungry?" she asked. "I made dinner! Or... tried to at least..."
Dianna quickly returned the hug and kiss and looked about at her surroundings.
"Yes, indeed! I came prepared with an appetite. I'm sure that whatever you made is as delicious as it smells!"
Just as she expected, Charity certainly lived much differently than Dianna might have expected from quite literally ANY other child of a successful merchant, she chose a more frugal lifestyle... But not without comfort. It was a more spacious room than a normal tavern might offer, she likely bought two rooms and had the wall between them knocked out to live in more permanently.

She couldn't help but smile at the knife ravaged post in the middle of the room.
No higher class room or house could survive with Charity for very long.

Dianna returned her attention back to Charity.
"I brought a small post dinner treat, to keep us warm tonight! I think you'll like it."
Dianna removed the cloth from her basket revealing two bottles. It was wine, but not the dinner sort. It was a special winter wine, a potion used by Mardanian soldiers to revel with, keep warm and sleep well during long winter campaigns.

• Love
Reactions: Charity Briarthorne
"I brought a small post dinner treat, to keep us warm tonight! I think you'll like it."
Dianna removed the cloth from her basket revealing two bottles. It was wine, but not the dinner sort. It was a special winter wine, a potion used by Mardanian soldiers to revel with, keep warm and sleep well during long winter campaigns.
Charity couldn't hold back a small cheer upon seeing the two bottles of wine. "I love it!" She put her arms around Dianna's waist and leaned in to lovingly kiss her. "I dare say you know me too well Miss Calcutte!" Leaning back, a warm smile spread across Charity's lips. She could hardly believe that Dianna was really her girlfriend. It seemed almost as if the perfect woman had manifested herself from a younger Charity's dreams. "And two bottles? You knew I wouldn't want to share didn't you?" Charity giggled.

"C'mon! Let's eat!" Taking the basket in one hand, and Dianna's hand in the other, Charity led her guest to the table. "I made venison stew! Though it probably isn't quite the same as you would have back at home." She pulled out a chair and set down the wine basket. "Please, have a seat. I will go fetch the stew."

Charity approached the fireplace feeling very much like the gentlemanly princes she had read about in stories. The manners her mother had taught her were slowly bubbling back to the surface of her memory. Dianna was a high class woman, and Charity intended to treat her as such.

But at the same time, Charity was fighting a firece battle internally. It had been gods know how long since she had a beautiful woman visiting. And with all the wine, how was she supposed to behave herself? She would just have to, Charity decided. That's all there was to it. She couldn't risk royally messing things up again and driving Dianna away.

Charity carefully retrieved the stew pot and even managed not to spill any as she brought it over to the table. But as she set it down, a bit splashed on her hand, causing her to emit a loud string of curses. Charity shook her hand, trying to shoo the pain away as she got the bottle of wine for dinner.

She poured Dianna and herself a glass each as she glanced nervously at the stewpot. It really didn't look right. The chunks of potatoes and carrots varied wildly in size. And was that a whole half of a potato?! The onion looked like a giant had crushed it in his hand before dropping it into the pot. Was the meat even done? she wondered. Hopefully Dianna wouldn't even notice her lack of culinary skills...

"I'm honored that the brave Paladin would take time out to meet with a damsel such a myself!" Charity teased as she filled Dianna's bowl and her own, before sitting down. "So... Anything exciting happen at the embassy lately?"

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Charity couldn't hold back a small cheer upon seeing the two bottles of wine. "I love it!" She put her arms around Dianna's waist and leaned in to lovingly kiss her. "I dare say you know me too well Miss Calcutte!"
Dianna sighed as a deeper kiss was pressed to her lips and her eyes fluttered closed as she drank it in. Hands around her waste could only be answered by arms about Charity's shoulders in a close embrace.

Dianna was all smiles when they parted again and her eyes opened dreamily as she caught back the breath Charity stole from her.
She couldn't really say she knew Charity all that well yet, but she was rather easy to read once you saw what sort of personality she had.

Leaning back, a warm smile spread across Charity's lips. She could hardly believe that Dianna was really her girlfriend. It seemed almost as if the perfect woman had manifested herself from a younger Charity's dreams. "And two bottles? You knew I wouldn't want to share didn't you?" Charity giggled.
Dianna joined in the giggling.
"Well, I brought two because I thought one wouldn't be enough, but your guess works just fine as well!"

"C'mon! Let's eat!" Taking the basket in one hand, and Dianna's hand in the other, Charity led her guest to the table. "I made venison stew! Though it probably isn't quite the same as you would have back at home." She pulled out a chair and set down the wine basket. "Please, have a seat. I will go fetch the stew."
Dianna took her seat. She was impressed in no small way by this dinner invite, she really didn't take Charity for much of a chef, though given the way she chooses to live Dianna might be convinced that Charity had a streak of independence that didn't run all the way along the lines of rebellion.
The desire to be self-sufficient alongside independent.

Charity approached the fireplace feeling very much like the gentlemanly princes she had read about in stories. The manners her mother had taught her were slowly bubbling back to the surface of her memory. Dianna was a high class woman, and Charity intended to treat her as such.

But at the same time, Charity was fighting a firece battle internally. It had been gods know how long since she had a beautiful woman visiting. And with all the wine, how was she supposed to behave herself? She would just have to, Charity decided. That's all there was to it. She couldn't risk royally messing things up again and driving Dianna away.
Dianna struggled with her own internal thoughts and insecurities, but of a different sort.
Dianna didn't know over much about Charity's private life except for what they shared together, they made up with each other after Charity made her feelings known to Dianna and she walked away. The journey they took back to each other wasn't an easy one and boundaries had to be set, but in the end they decided to start dating.

Dianna might have believed that after dinner was a mere sleepover had they still been "just friends", but now they were in a relationship so Dianna severely over thought everything about this invitation and may have come prepared for a... "Restless" night.

Charity carefully retrieved the stew pot and even managed not to spill any as she brought it over to the table. But as she set it down, a bit splashed on her hand, causing her to emit a loud string of curses. Charity shook her hand, trying to shoo the pain away as she got the bottle of wine for dinner.
Charity arrived with the pot of food but it was the pained string of curses that brought Dianna from her momentary revery.
"Oh, Charity! Are you alright?"
She rose from her seat to see what was wrong till she figured out that it was the overfull pot of hot stew that brought it on.
She sat down again.
"Put some cold water on it!"

She poured Dianna and herself a glass each as she glanced nervously at the stewpot. It really didn't look right. The chunks of potatoes and carrots varied wildly in size. And was that a whole half of a potato?! The onion looked like a giant had crushed it in his hand before dropping it into the pot. Was the meat even done? she wondered. Hopefully Dianna wouldn't even notice her lack of culinary skills...
Dianna examined the contents of the pot.
It wasn't a professional job, it looked like she did it all without following a recipe... But, she couldn't say it was bad. In a way this seemed to represent Charity so well, unrefined, chaotic, overcooked... But trying, she was trying to be different for Dianna's sake and she couldn't help but feel a little unworthy as Charity served her

"I'm honored that the brave Paladin would take time out to meet with a damsel such a myself!" Charity teased as she filled Dianna's bowl and her own, before sitting down. "So... Anything exciting happen at the embassy lately?
The smile that grew in her heart from this entire situation showed on her face as her bowl was filled. She felt an inexplicable sense of appreciation in this moment and it overflowed from her heart to her face.

"Nothing significant. The relationship between Mardania and Alliria is good and growing. Recently the Alanthis Trading company has established a trade route between our countries and that's further strengthened our alliance here."
She took up her spoon and used it to cut a chunk of potato into a manageable piece before scooping it up with the broth and taking a bite.
"Mmmm! This is good Charity!"

• Bless
"Nothing significant. The relationship between Mardania and Alliria is good and growing. Recently the Alanthis Trading company has established a trade route between our countries and that's further strengthened our alliance here."
She took up her spoon and used it to cut a chunk of potato into a manageable piece before scooping it up with the broth and taking a bite.
"Mmmm! This is good Charity!"
Charity nodded slowly as Dianna talked. Good... So claiming the area around the embassy as her turf seemed to be mostly working. But the trade between Alanthis and Mardania was news to her as somebody who kept close tabs on trade in the city. She was going to have to have a word with her sisters after Dianna left.

"Oh thank the gods!" Charity sighed in relief. Dianna thought the stew was good! Her posture relaxed and she slumped a bit in her chair, draining a good portion of her glass of wine. All day she had been stressing out trying to decide what to make for the evening, figuring out what ingredients were needed, and worrying whether or not it would be something that Dianna would actually like. Not to mention her bad habit of royally messing up anything and everything hanging above her head like a sword. But now all her fear was dissipating, and Charity could start enjoying herself.

"I'm really happy you like it!" Charity began eating her food as well, nearly choking on a large piece of carrot. "Its my first time trying my hand at it as I never really had to learn how to cook. Cleo always did the cooking when I was a kid, and now I just buy whatever Marilyn is making downstairs and share it with Lulu. Though that typically just ends up with her refusing to eat and me trying to bribe her with sweets."

She paused and took another sip of wine. For as much of a disaster she felt the stew had turned out to be, Charity did feel a small amount of pride. Fixing a meal proved to be more of a challenge than she had anticipated, but if it was for Dianna, she could do it. If only to see that wonderful smile of hers.

Charity's silence continued for a brief moment, filled only with the soft sounds of eating. There were so many things she wanted to say and do with Dianna that night, but she found herself stuck with new doubts filling the spaces left behind the old worries.

Having a date at home was also proving to be more difficult than she had originally thought. At least in public there were other things to look at and listen to. But here? It was just the two of them. What if she wasn't interesting enough on her own merits and Dianna got bored and wanted to leave?

And what if Dianna had somehow had heard of her escapades and thought that Charity had only invited her over to sleep with her? She couldn't deny that the thought had crossed her mind, but wasn't it a bit early for something like that?

And what if... And what if... Charity could feel herself spiraling out of control. She drank what remained of her wine and cleared her throat. Taking a breath, Charity quelled the doubts and pushed them aside. Dianna and her personal life were still quite a mystery to Charity. She didn't really know Dianna all that well besides the tidbits she had shared on their dates, so maybe that would be a good place to start?

"Umm.. So... What's your family like?" Charity asked as she topped off their glasses. "And didn't you say something about having a sister too?"

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Charity nodded slowly as Dianna talked. Good... So claiming the area around the embassy as her turf seemed to be mostly working. But the trade between Alanthis and Mardania was news to her as somebody who kept close tabs on trade in the city. She was going to have to have a word with her sisters after Dianna left.

"Oh thank the gods!" Charity sighed in relief. Dianna thought the stew was good! Her posture relaxed and she slumped a bit in her chair, draining a good portion of her glass of wine. All day she had been stressing out trying to decide what to make for the evening, figuring out what ingredients were needed, and worrying whether or not it would be something that Dianna would actually like. Not to mention her bad habit of royally messing up anything and everything hanging above her head like a sword. But now all her fear was dissipating, and Charity could start enjoying herself.
The soup was indeed good. Not as good as back home, and Charity was noticably new in the kitchen, but she got the seasoning and proportions right even if she needed a crash course on how to mince and chop veggies.
She took a bite of meat and chased it down with a sip of wine.

"I'm really happy you like it!" Charity began eating her food as well, nearly choking on a large piece of carrot. "Its my first time trying my hand at it as I never really had to learn how to cook. Cleo always did the cooking when I was a kid, and now I just buy whatever Marilyn is making downstairs and share it with Lulu. Though that typically just ends up with her refusing to eat and me trying to bribe her with sweets."
Dianna didn't complain as she ate and listened to Charity. She used her spoon to hold a chunk of meat still while she cut it into thirds with a knife.
She mentioned a few names. Dianna remembered that Charity said she had a bunch of sisters, so she assumed that's who they were. Except Marilyn, the tavern keeper.
"You did good for your first time! The seasoning is perfect!"

She paused and took another sip of wine. For as much of a disaster she felt the stew had turned out to be, Charity did feel a small amount of pride. Fixing a meal proved to be more of a challenge than she had anticipated, but if it was for Dianna, she could do it. If only to see that wonderful smile of hers.

Charity's silence continued for a brief moment, filled only with the soft sounds of eating. There were so many things she wanted to say and do with Dianna that night, but she found herself stuck with new doubts filling the spaces left behind the old worries.

Having a date at home was also proving to be more difficult than she had originally thought. At least in public there were other things to look at and listen to. But here? It was just the two of them. What if she wasn't interesting enough on her own merits and Dianna got bored and wanted to leave?

And what if Dianna had somehow had heard of her escapades and thought that Charity had only invited her over to sleep with her? She couldn't deny that the thought had crossed her mind, but wasn't it a bit early for something like that?

And what if... And what if... Charity could feel herself spiraling out of control. She drank what remained of her wine and cleared her throat. Taking a breath, Charity quelled the doubts and pushed them aside. Dianna and her personal life were still quite a mystery to Charity. She didn't really know Dianna all that well besides the tidbits she had shared on their dates, so maybe that would be a good place to start?
"Umm.. So... What's your family like?" Charity asked as she topped off their glasses. "And didn't you say something about having a sister too?"
Dianna took another sip of wine before cutting a few carrots into bite sized pieces.
"My family? Well, I've told you that I come from Nobility. My father is a fair man, he looks after his holdings well and he has the respect of his subjects. My mother? Well, she's probably similar to the noble women you might read about. She's a master courtesan and socialite, very strict and traditional when it comes to the role of a lady-in-waiting. Unfortunately my younger sister takes after her, I think they both enjoy politics and manipulations far more than any decent person should..."

She took a bite of carrot with a soft crunch, it hadn't been properly steamed but that was fine. All together this was probably better than the best efforts of some of her subordinates out on the field trying to make military rations stretch from ten days to fifteen!

"... Then you have me! A soldier serving as guard to the ambassador on foreign soil. That about sums up my family! I love them all dearly."
She accidentally took a healthy bite of onion thinking it was a piece of potato, the raw fumes nearly made her tear up, but she resisted the urge to chase it down with wine, the alcohol would only make the stinging worse!

She dabbed at her eyes with the collar of her tunic.
"What about your family? I've heard you mention so many names I've almost lost track! You've said that your father is a merchant?"

• Popcorn
Dianna took another sip of wine before cutting a few carrots into bite sized pieces.
"My family? Well, I've told you that I come from Nobility. My father is a fair man, he looks after his holdings well and he has the respect of his subjects. My mother? Well, she's probably similar to the noble women you might read about. She's a master courtesan and socialite, very strict and traditional when it comes to the role of a lady-in-waiting. Unfortunately my younger sister takes after her, I think they both enjoy politics and manipulations far more than any decent person should..."
Charity sometimes found it hard to believe that Dianna was a noble. She certainly didn't act like Charity thought a noble would. From what Charity had seen, Dianna wasn't bossy, or snobby, and she never demanded special treatment. Except for her perfect posture and the way she spoke, Charity doubted anybody would've guessed that Dianna was a noblewoman.

"Your family sounds wonderful!" Charity smiled. "Your father sounds like a fine, upstanding man, and your mother and sister sound like the powerful, womanly Ladies I hear about in stories! I hope I get to meet them one day!" Though saying that, she already knew that she wouldn't get along well at all with Dianna's mother and sister. If they ever did meet, Charity wasn't sure she could endure the strict traditions or the politics without challenging them. There was no way her chaotic nature would let her.

She dabbed at her eyes with the collar of her tunic.
"What about your family? I've heard you mention so many names I've almost lost track! You've said that your father is a merchant?"
"Hmm? Daddy?" Charity furrowed her brow. A merchant? Was that what she had told Dianna? She felt terrible for not being completely honest with Dianna, but at the same time couldn't very well tell her that her father was one of the top players in the Allirian underground. And she supposed that he was technically a merchant so it was fine. "Yeah, he's a merchant. He has his hands in all sorts of things throughout the city. Everything from small markets all the way up to the largest caravans travelling across Arethil! Daddy's a very shrewd business man and doesn't let anyone or anything stand in his way! Sometimes there are things people are unwilling to hand over and that's where I come in!" Charity said proudly. "Repossession, misplacing shipments, locating valuables. You name it and I can find it or get my hands on it!"

Charity's face flushed as she realized she had revealed way too much. There was no reason for her to make Dianna suspect that her girlfriend was one of the most wanted criminals in the city. Or so she hoped. "Ah...I mean... Um... I'm the one who's sent to... source higher value merchandise, and... negotiate prices..." Charity said nervously. "ANYWAY! That's enough about my father." she blurted out.

"I have a bunch of sisters!" she said excitedly, quickly changing the subject. Charity recomposed herself as she began talking animatedly about her favorite topic. "They're all so strong and beautiful! It makes me kinda jealous!" she giggled. "Well first there's Faustian! She owns a tavern and fights like a warrior! AND she's the best, coolest older sister in the whole world! Heticate runs a school for gifted children that was started by my mother. She's very strict and uptight, and honestly a bit of a wet blanket. But I still love her! Oh! And I can't forget Elli! She's very sweet and lovable, and is the one who started the church I brought you to that first night. But I haven't seen her in a few years... Dropped her daughter Lucy off with me one night before disappearing off to who knows where." Charity grumbled. "Can't complain too much though. Lulu is a joy to have around most of the time."

Charity continued talking about her sisters, listing off names, professions, and random facts about them until she realized she had been rambling on for a good while. "That's probably enough about my sisters," she grinned sheepishly. "So that's my family. They're all a bit wild and chaotic but I wouldn't want it any other way!" She purposefully left out any mention of her mother as she rose from her seat and distributed the last bit of stew between their two bowls.

"What is Mardania like?" Charity asked as she sat back down. "Is it a big city? What are the people like? Are there a lot of fun things to do?" She took a large spoonful of stew before continuing to talk around it. "Never been outside of Alliria myself and have always been curious about other places."

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Charity sometimes found it hard to believe that Dianna was a noble. She certainly didn't act like Charity thought a noble would. From what Charity had seen, Dianna wasn't bossy, or snobby, and she never demanded special treatment. Except for her perfect posture and the way she spoke, Charity doubted anybody would've guessed that Dianna was a noblewoman.

"Your family sounds wonderful!" Charity smiled. "Your father sounds like a fine, upstanding man, and your mother and sister sound like the powerful, womanly Ladies I hear about in stories! I hope I get to meet them one day!" Though saying that, she already knew that she wouldn't get along well at all with Dianna's mother and sister. If they ever did meet, Charity wasn't sure she could endure the strict traditions or the politics without challenging them. There was no way her chaotic nature would let her.
Dianna couldn't help but laugh a little. 'powerful' and 'womanly' was certainly one way to look at it, but Dianna suspected Charity was just being charitable with that description.
As far as opposites went, Dianna's family and Charity were as far away from each other as possible.

"Hmm? Daddy?" Charity furrowed her brow. A merchant? Was that what she had told Dianna? She felt terrible for not being completely honest with Dianna, but at the same time couldn't very well tell her that her father was one of the top players in the Allirian underground. And she supposed that he was technically a merchant so it was fine. "Yeah, he's a merchant. He has his hands in all sorts of things throughout the city. Everything from small markets all the way up to the largest caravans travelling across Arethil! Daddy's a very shrewd business man and doesn't let anyone or anything stand in his way! Sometimes there are things people are unwilling to hand over and that's where I come in!" Charity said proudly. "Repossession, misplacing shipments, locating valuables. You name it and I can find it or get my hands on it!"
As far as Dianna could tell, the repossession of merchandise was a pretty dangerous job. If a merchant lost any product it was either from a thief at the market or highwaymen and bandits on the road. Of course, just judging by their first meeting Charity was certainly strong enough and skilled to take on your run of the mill group of bandits... The way Charity worded it, however, was slightly suspicious, and she had her suspicions from previous conversations in which she talked about her father.

Charity was obviously strong and her father employs her to protect his merchandise. Dianna wondered how strong her father was, if he was the one who trained her. Or perhaps he had connections with other groups that could train someone like Charity to be as deadly as she is unassuming.

Charity's face flushed as she realized she had revealed way too much. There was no reason for her to make Dianna suspect that her girlfriend was one of the most wanted criminals in the city. Or so she hoped. "Ah...I mean... Um... I'm the one who's sent to... source higher value merchandise, and... negotiate prices..." Charity said nervously. "ANYWAY! That's enough about my father." she blurted out.
Dianna smiled at Charity's awkward adorableness, letting her quirkiness dispel her suspicions for now.
"I have a bunch of sisters!" she said excitedly, quickly changing the subject. Charity recomposed herself as she began talking animatedly about her favorite topic. "They're all so strong and beautiful! It makes me kinda jealous!" she giggled. "Well first there's Faustian! She owns a tavern and fights like a warrior! AND she's the best, coolest older sister in the whole world! Heticate runs a school for gifted children that was started by my mother. She's very strict and uptight, and honestly a bit of a wet blanket. But I still love her! Oh! And I can't forget Elli! She's very sweet and lovable, and is the one who started the church I brought you to that first night. But I haven't seen her in a few years... Dropped her daughter Lucy off with me one night before disappearing off to who knows where." Charity grumbled. "Can't complain too much though. Lulu is a joy to have around most of the time."

Charity continued talking about her sisters, listing off names, professions, and random facts about them until she realized she had been rambling on for a good while. "That's probably enough about my sisters," she grinned sheepishly. "So that's my family. They're all a bit wild and chaotic but I wouldn't want it any other way!" She purposefully left out any mention of her mother as she rose from her seat and distributed the last bit of stew between their two bowls.
Dianna listened to Charity talk about her sisters while she worked down her bowl of stew. She listened absently at first, but as Charity began listing more and more names Dianna couldn't help but blink in surprise and stop eating to listen in enraptured amazement!
To have so many siblings... The largest single family she had ever known in Mardania had five children and she thought that was a lot!

"Good heavens! Are all of your siblings by the same mother?! I hope you don't mind my saying so, but your father and mother are incredible to have so many children!"

"What is Mardania like?" Charity asked as she sat back down. "Is it a big city? What are the people like? Are there a lot of fun things to do?" She took a large spoonful of stew before continuing to talk around it. "Never been outside of Alliria myself and have always been curious about other places."
Dianna grinned about one of HER favorite subjects, the country of Mardania.
"Mardania is a large country, and it's capital city, Mardus, is a city unlike any you'd find elsewhere! For starters, our historians and archeologists hypothesize that it was once a city made by giants in the clouds. All of the buildings and walls and even the palace are made out of a super durable glass using a magical forge which we've only barely begun to understand!
During the day people need to wear eye protection because the sun makes the entire city glitter and shine like a diamond! And there's plenty of things to do there, an entire village could fit inside a single building and people are safe with plenty of resources, so there are plenty of entertainment plazas and gathering places for people to keep themselves busy!

Like I said, it's a very big city. I don't doubt that we could easily fit at least half of Alliria into the city before it would start to get crowded!
Transportation and communication is a bit of an issue, because the city is so big you need a horse or carriage to get anywhere quickly. Recently the military has been experimenting with taming griffins as a reliable way to traverse the city quickly. A few prominent citizens use Pegasus or other fast moving mounts to get around, but such creatures are always expensive."

She drained the last of her wine and started working on the last bowl of stew Charity served her.
"Our king is a good man, my father served with him during our last war with one of our neighboring countries. He's getting on in years so all of Mardania is looking forward to his daughter and only surviving heir to inherit the throne. The princess of Mardania is my liege, and I have been sworn to her service."

The details were important, but she left them out because they weren't anything that would concern someone not from Mardania. If they actually got to visit Mardania together Dianna might fill her in on the rest, but for now talking about the civil unrest and the power grabbing nobility, and the opposition to the ascension of Princess Helia wasn't a topic for polite dinner conversation.

"Does your mother work an interesting profession? Or does she help your father run the merchant trade?"

• Popcorn
"Good heavens! Are all of your siblings by the same mother?! I hope you don't mind my saying so, but your father and mother are incredible to have so many children!"
"Nonono! Of course not!" Charity laughed waving her hand in front of herself. "My mother's an amazing woman, but even she can't birth that many children. She only gave birth to two twin daughters, Faustian and Heticate. The rest of us daughters, at least as far as I know, were orphans or children given up for one reason or another, that they took in when nobody else would."

"I myself was a street rat running around in the slums for the first few years of my life, until Daddy came along and brought me home with him. Same story goes for many of my other sisters as well. We get taken in and adopted, and taught the necessary skills to function in society, and to make our own way in the world. Some stay and work in the family business like me, while others set off on adventures or start their own businesses. Either way, we are all eternally grateful to Mother and Daddy for all they've done for us!"

Charity listened in awe as Dianna described her home city. A massive city of glass made by giants?! One that glitters like a jewel in the sunlight?! If anybody else aside from Dianna told her about Mardania, she would think they were lying! Even the most fantastic fairy tales Charity had ever heard paled in comparison to Dianna's description!

And just think about all the amazing artifacts and specialty items the city could produce! How much those items would be worth in the Allirian market! By force of habit, Charity began running the numbers in her head, estimating the going prices of such things and plotting where she could sell them with the least amount of trouble. She forcefully derailed that train of thought though. If she were to ever visit Mardania, it would probably be with Dianna, and her usual antics of that sort would cause no end of trouble for the poor woman.

"Mardania sounds absolutely wonderful!" Charity smiled. Both at Dianna's description of the city and the apparent amount of enthusiasm she had for the subject. "I would love to go there with you some day if we ever get the chance! I'm sure there's so many things that you can show me, and fun things that we can do together! Maybe I could meet your family as well!"

"Does your mother work an interesting profession? Or does she help your father run the merchant trade?"
"Mother? Mother is-" Charity frowned sadly, "was an archivist. She used to run the largest archive in the city. Research, preserving old documents, selling information, keeping records for various people and businesses... You name it and she could do it." A bright smile appeared as she reminisced about Gwendolyn. "Mother was an incredibly brilliant, intelligent woman!"

Charity tipped back in her chair as she continued. "She was the headmistress of an all girls school too. Opened it way before I came along. They mostly catered to the elite families of the city, but also took in exceptionally gifted girls from all over Arethil too! Now that Mother is gone, Cate is in charge of it and is trying to run it as best she can." Charity sighed and brought the chair back down to the floor. "Mother always wanted me to attend, but I was too busy running around the city causing mischief." A missed opportunity in Charity's mind. She wished she had listened to her mother's wishes and advice many times since Gwendolyn's passing.

"Anyway..." Charity rose from her seat. "Are ya ready for dessert?" She began clearing the dishes, stealing another quick kiss from Dianna as she did so. "Cleo made a cake for us!" A simple round cake covered in snow white frosting, and topped with sliced strawberries was brought to the table along with one of the bottles of wine Dianna had brought with her. "I know it doesn't look like much, but Cleo's cakes are better than anything you'll find in the city's best bakeries!" Charity served the cake onto small wooden plates and refilled their wine glasses, before sitting back down to stuff her face with cake.

"After dessert, I was thinking we could cuddle on the couch!" Charity said around a mouthful of cake. "Oh! And, uh... talk more of course!" she laughed. "It's still much too early for sleeping!"

Last edited:
  • Love
"Nonono! Of course not!" Charity laughed waving her hand in front of herself. "My mother's an amazing woman, but even she can't birth that many children. She only gave birth to two twin daughters, Faustian and Heticate. The rest of us daughters, at least as far as I know, were orphans or children given up for one reason or another, that they took in when nobody else would."

"I myself was a street rat running around in the slums for the first few years of my life, until Daddy came along and brought me home with him. Same story goes for many of my other sisters as well. We get taken in and adopted, and taught the necessary skills to function in society, and to make our own way in the world. Some stay and work in the family business like me, while others set off on adventures or start their own businesses. Either way, we are all eternally grateful to Mother and Daddy for all they've done for us!"
Dianna looked relieved that her mother didn't have to go through labor that many times, then she listened with a slight smile, imagining a little Charity running around the streets snatching purses.

Dianna could only imagine what it must have been like to try and survive on the streets, her few visits to the slums painted a bleak picture. For someone who grew up in nobility and privilege her experience was only tempered by her time as a soldier.

Charity listened in awe as Dianna described her home city. A massive city of glass made by giants?! One that glitters like a jewel in the sunlight?! If anybody else aside from Dianna told her about Mardania, she would think they were lying! Even the most fantastic fairy tales Charity had ever heard paled in comparison to Dianna's description!

And just think about all the amazing artifacts and specialty items the city could produce! How much those items would be worth in the Allirian market! By force of habit, Charity began running the numbers in her head, estimating the going prices of such things and plotting where she could sell them with the least amount of trouble. She forcefully derailed that train of thought though. If she were to ever visit Mardania, it would probably be with Dianna, and her usual antics of that sort would cause no end of trouble for the poor woman.
"Mardania sounds absolutely wonderful!" Charity smiled. Both at Dianna's description of the city and the apparent amount of enthusiasm she had for the subject. "I would love to go there with you some day if we ever get the chance! I'm sure there's so many things that you can show me, and fun things that we can do together! Maybe I could meet your family as well!"
"Yes! That sounds like a wonderful idea!"
She'd thought about it more than once, taking Charity to Mardania and showing her the capital city... But she always balked at the idea of taking her to meet her family.
She was essentially disowned from the family by her mother for becoming a soldier, but it wasn't like it was written in stone.
Homosexuality wasn't exactly uncommon in Mardania, but it was greatly frowned upon in noble society.

The use of mistresses and concubines was common practice though, probably for this reason. A noble household always had a duty to look to the future of their house and family and, unfortunately, adoption or bastards were not readily recognized as heirs.
Third and fourth sons already had it rough, but to be born to another woman or to have no known lineage at all was unacceptable.
Girls had it a bit easier, they were the ones who took family names and rarely had the responsibility of continuing their father's line.
But if Dianna returned with Charity... What would that even mean for her family?

"Mother? Mother is-" Charity frowned sadly, "was an archivist. She used to run the largest archive in the city. Research, preserving old documents, selling information, keeping records for various people and businesses... You name it and she could do it." A bright smile appeared as she reminisced about Gwendolyn. "Mother was an incredibly brilliant, intelligent woman!"

Charity tipped back in her chair as she continued. "She was the headmistress of an all girls school too. Opened it way before I came along. They mostly catered to the elite families of the city, but also took in exceptionally gifted girls from all over Arethil too! Now that Mother is gone, Cate is in charge of it and is trying to run it as best she can." Charity sighed and brought the chair back down to the floor. "Mother always wanted me to attend, but I was too busy running around the city causing mischief." A missed opportunity in Charity's mind. She wished she had listened to her mother's wishes and advice many times since Gwendolyn's passing.
The somberness and joy she showed when speaking of her mother was touching. They were obviously very close.
Dianna struggled to remember her mother, her father's first wife. Golden hair and a gentle smile was all she could recall.

"Anyway..." Charity rose from her seat. "Are ya ready for dessert?" She began clearing the dishes, stealing another quick kiss from Dianna as she did so. "Cleo made a cake for us!" A simple round cake covered in snow white frosting, and topped with sliced strawberries was brought to the table along with one of the bottles of wine Dianna had brought with her. "I know it doesn't look like much, but Cleo's cakes are better than anything you'll find in the city's best bakeries!" Charity served the cake onto small wooden plates and refilled their wine glasses, before sitting back down to stuff her face with cake.
"Yes, dessert sounds lovely!"
Dianna let her lips linger a little bit in their kiss. A few months ago she never would have guessed that simple act of pressing lips together would fill her with such a sense of completeness.

"I look forward to trying Cleo's cooking! Remind me which sister is she?"
In all the names Charity barraged her with, Dianna was sure she'd mentioned Cleo once or twice.
She took a bite of the cake and hummed in bliss, the sweetness of the icing and strawberries hit just right and she visibly melted.

"After dessert, I was thinking we could cuddle on the couch!" Charity said around a mouthful of cake. "Oh! And, uh... talk more of course!" she laughed. "It's still much too early for sleeping!"
Dianna laughed. After getting to know Charity a little better she could guess what she was really looking forward to, but Dianna admired her restraint. Charity was trying her hardest to impress her on this date, and Dianna had to admit that she was indeed impressed!
The effort she put into the meal and planning this whole date, complete with wine and cake!

Dianna was looking at Charity with open adoration. She'd joined the army before any suitors could come calling, she'd been accosted a few times during her service, but she'd never had someone put in so much effort to show her such respect and affection.

"This entire evening is absolutely lovely, Charity. Thank you for this wonderful time! I shall have my work cut out for me on our next date!"
Thanks was insufficient for this wonderful night, but Dianna was determined to properly reward her for all of this.

After refusing her advances time and again, Dianna felt that it would be a betrayal to both of them to reward Charity in that way. After all, the reason she wouldn't go that far with Charity was because of her desire to do right by her family. If she had intercourse before she was properly wedded, how could she convince her mother and father that what she felt for Charity was true love?

Dianna took another stress melting bite of cake.
"Mmmmm, Cleo IS an excellent chef!"

• Love