Private Tales Upriver

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"It's not silly. I'm glad you asked. Had the courage to be transparent and share your concerns with me."

That's what made a good couple. She didn't want to end up like her father and mother. The pair growing estranged before her mother disappeared. A small frown tugged on Eislyn's lips.

"I always want you to be honest with me and speak what's on your mind." Her expression lightened for a moment. "Unless it's to tell some crass, sailor joke or story." When he joined her in bed, she eased over and curled into his chest. The position was becoming more familiar. And one of her favorites.

"Just promise that we can sleep in a little tomorrow?" She murmured as her eyes closed and the energy used for the earlier magic caught up with her.

• Yay
Reactions: Rayth Keirn
Rayth listened to the sound of her shallow breathing for a short while. There were a lot of things playing on his mind.

The wendigo foremost amongst then. It's horrifying visage rising from its nest was going to stay with him for a very long time. The image of Eislyn sinking into the mud under the weight of its arms wouldn't leave him easily.

They had ended up talking about a wedding. That struck him too. He hadn't started there, but on the fears that had built regarding their future. Accepting that she didn't expect the life of a princess from him had of course led to thinking about what that day could be.

Already, he was thinking that perhaps the ship would not be the best idea. The crew were professional mercenaries but they were still soldiers and sailors. It would not take that many crude jokes to ruin her day.

Eventually he stopped thinking and let himself drift off to sleep too.

• Yay
Reactions: Eislyn Gray
Eislyn stirred first. It was late morning, judging by the light streaming in through the bare curtains of their rented room. Slipping free from Rayth as quietly as she could, she tugged on a fresh long skirt, blouse, belt, and boots. She wandered down to the tavern and took a seat at a small table.

The chef wandered over, the man's portly belly swinging with jolly.

"Heard what ye did last night lass. This town is more than grateful. Still," he sized her up. "Don't know how a wee thing like you did somethin' like that. Least I can do is get yer breakfast on the house."

Eislyn ordered some eggs and sausage with coffee and sat back wondering where she and Rayth would go from here.

• Yay
Rayth was not so bright and bouncy as he arrived. Having not slept well there were bags beneath half-lidded eyes. His smile for her was still as warm as ever.

"This looks nice," he remarked, taking a seat. "Hungry this morning?"

He yawned and leaned back in his chair.

"I'd best get a tea," he remarked, shaking his head to wake himself up.

• Yay
"I think breakfast is on the house," her smile was small. She noted those dark rims beneath his eyes. He hadn't slept much. Considering what they'd fought last night...she could understand. If it wasn't for the use of her magic tiring her out, she imagined she would've had the same insomnia troubles.

Hand reached across the small table to rest for a moment against his own.

"Are you doing okay? We could stay and rest here a few days then...," voice trailed off. She wasn't sure what was next. "Maybe we could find some cabin to buy in the middle of the woods." Lips twitched, mentioning the place the first place they'd ever spent the night alone together.

• Yay
Rayth considered the question, remembering the lesson from the previous day.

"Yes and no," he replied. "That thing isn't the kind of monsters I get to put out of mind immediately. I'm fine, but couldn't sleep so well last night.

"When you think about it, it's pretty incredible that we killed it. Though mostly you and that paladin. But think how many people won't die because if that, because of your magic..."

• Yay
Fingers came to wrap around the mug of her coffee, tapping lightly against the sides. She imagined what happened last night wasn't fully caught up with her. She hoped she wasn't burying her fear only for it to catch her by surprise later.

"Because of all of us," she said firmly. Still. She was getting used to the idea of talking so freely about her magic and couldn't help the flicker of verdants around the room when Rayth spoke so openly about it. "I think we were lucky and I don't think...we would've made it without that paladin."

It was a hard truth to admit.

"I want you to teach me to handle a weapon better. Just in case something happens." She couldn't help her thoughts drift to her magic failing her.

• Yay
"We wouldn't have," Rayth agreed. "I don't think he would have succeeded without us either."

Rayth took a breath and drew himself slowly out of his own head. He reached back out across the table to place his hand against hers again.

"Hell of a story to tell one day," he said. "And we can get you a short sword. Can do a lot of damage with one of those. Your father wouldn't approve of that any more than using magic or falling for a sailor so it can go on the list..."

• Yay
The warmth of his fingers stilled her twitching ones. "And still much of our book left to write." Blonde-brows rose along fair skin at his second comment.

"I imagine if my father ever met you, he'd have you strung up in the town square and me locked away in a high tower for the rest of my life." Lips twitched as she muttered, "At least I wouldn't have to worry about a dragon guarding me, though."

She took a sip of her coffee with her free hand and eyed the man over the rim.

"One thing I have learned is that I'm tired of this heat. I say our next adventure takes us north." Hand picked at the blouse already wanting to stick to her skin against the humidity of the expiring morning.

• Yay
"It's the hot, damp air," Rayth replied. "Out on the ocean there's always a cool breeze on the sunniest day. Here the air feels like it...like it wants to crush you."

One thought finally pushed the others aside. Or rather, one question. There was no dowry to pay, no permission would ever be sought from her father. Away from the tangled mess of the world she had come from - and he too - he was not quite sure how to go about asking.

Something would come to him, he decided. He might not have divine powers or magical beams of light but he had always been quick to think on his feet.

"It you want cooler we could take the portal stone to visit the northern barbarians...no, really let's not. The Spine is always cold though! Could find somewhere with a fire, I'll keep you warm..."

• Yay
Verdants narrowed. Sparks of amusement flecked within the deeper, darker greens. One side of her mouth curled upward.

"Is that a promise Rayth Keirn?" One hand played with the handle of her fork.

"And the spine? That might be a little too close to my father's kingdom. And hopefully the duke didn't already move in." Her smile faded.

• Yay
"A promise and a hope?" he mused. "We don't get the luxury of fires on ships and I've always loved them." What he had in mind could not come to pass until they were wed, of course.

"We could heard to the dwarven kingdom of Belgrath. You're father's reach doesn't extend that far. I've always wanted to see the underground city too."

• Yay
"Let's hope his reach doesn't extend that far or any of our other enemies," she commented quietly. Still. She couldn't dismiss the allure of the old dwarven kingdom. She and Hannah had read plenty of tales about that and even acted out an epic battle against the orc and elf invaders. In the end, it didn't take much for Rayth to say to convince her.

And she knew as well as he did that they'd need more coin eventually.

Perhaps that city offered an opportunity. And maybe she could find something to learn more about her magic. Ere had given her a nice introduction about control but there was still so much more to know.

After a few weeks of travel, they finally made it out of the heat from the south and were well within the mountains, hoping to reach the first set of gates any day now. Eislyn lay next to Rayth as the morning light began peeking through the pine trees. The fire from last night was nothing but embers and ash. He warmed her back as they curled on their sides. She went to gently left the arm that was thrown around her off, trying not to wake him.

A task some would say was much harder than taking down that wendigo.

• Yay
Rayth wasn't so easily woken today. Whilst he was used to sleeping in shifts on the boat he had drifted into a deep sleep. His arm was a heavy weight across her waist. It flopped back down and he rolled away, murmuring quietly.

The cold would wake him fairly soon. He was used to that too, but now the dry ice winds coming down from the mountains. They had purchased more clothing for the trip. Had it been winter they would have needed a heavy tent to keep the warmth closer through the nights.

He was looking forward to seeing the dwarven fortress. A relic from the past. For now he stole most of the blanket and sighed.

• Yay
She shivered as she left the warmth the bed roll with extra furs and Rayth's body had to offer. She'd even been wearing heavier layers to sleep, keeping a set of warm, fuzzy sucks on through the night. Long, woolen skirts and thick blouses with plenty of jackets and long coats.

But Eislyn Gray was used to the cold. She relished in it. This was still nothing compared to the spine, though, she was sure she'd feel the similar biting cold soon.

Pale eyes narrowed, looking at the skies as she tugged on her boots. Looked like snow clouds. she wouldn't be surprised if they got some flurries in the next few hours. Hopefully, it wouldn't be more than that. They were still a good days or so ride from the next town. A blizzard could kill them.

The mountains were becoming larger on the horizon and the cold wind blowing felt more biting than even a day ago. Going to one of the saddle packs, she began rummaging around.

Rather loudly.

On purpose.

On the mornings that she woke up first, it was how she managed to get the swashbuckler up and about. Sometimes he demanded a kiss. Other times she'd steal the blankets right off his form. And she'd long ago forgotten what it was like to wake up without him.

• Yay
There was a stubbornness to his sleep this morning. One eye opened and turned to look up at Eislyn. It closed again. Only when two metal items in the saddlebag collided did he sit upright a mumble something incoherently.

Rayth looked towards the mountains on the horizon. He had seen the northern ranges of the spine from the ocean. Coming at them on foot and seeing them stay almost the same size over several days of travel gave him a much greater appreciation for their size.

Rubbing his eyes he pulled himself to his feet. The first thing he did was to start lacing up his boots.

"Good morning. Those clouds don't look good," he remarked.

• Yay
"They don't," she agreed quietly, doing her best to stoke up the fire and get a pot for water on. She still wasn't the best at...these types of things. As much as she was embarrassed to admit, her men had done most of this type of work when they traveled. There were fresh blisters on her hands beneath her gloves and she looked at those with a small amount of pride.

"I think we should ride as soon as we finish tea. We can't risk getting stuck on the road without shelter. Better winter gear."

A slow smile on her face.

"You seem to be sleeping better lately."

• Yay
"Hmm," he went. Whilst he had been honest with Eislyn he hadn't been raised a Prince. He had been raised on a ship of mercenaries and sailors. They were supposed to eat monsters for breakfast, not be chased by them in their dreams.

He could not help but smile when she did. Rayth didn't know how long it would take before he didn't instinctively copy that expression every single time.

"Are you looking forward to seeing the gates? And a warm bed?"

• Yay
Two tin mugs were carefully filled with the tea ready from the fire. Gloves kept her fingers from getting burned. The princess brought one piping mug over to the swashbuckler. Verdants widened with mild embarrassment at his question.

"Is it showing that much?" Her voice was quiet. Self-conscious. While she'd been raised in the throws of comfort, she didn't want those limitations to show. Or to be seen as a weakness or to slow her down.

Many a person had already openly thought that. Sneered in her direction at what she was born into. Steam billowed from the top of her cop as she brought it up to blow across before taking a sip and looking off into the distance.

• Yay
"Not at all," he replied smoothly with a hint of a bow. "I am in fact rather impressed by your resolve in taking to life on the road. I, however, would quite like the chance to rest my back on even a hay filled matressed for a night or two.

"Also... Dwarven beer. Also... Dwarven pies..."

Rayth's grin stretched from ear to ear. More of the swashbuckler and less of the young human who had been shaken by the wendigo.

• Yay
"Mmmm, pies," she took a sip of the tea and felt it warming her up already. The clouds were looking thicker the direction they were going. There was a secret smile her eyes held that only Rayth seemed to be able to draw out of her.

He typically managed to be the lighter one of the pair. And in times like these? Eislyn loved him all the more for it.

"I have to say. Your riding has improved greatly." A half-smirk quickly hidden behind her tin mug.

• Yay
"I think you mean that my riding has improved slightly but my complaining has significantly decreased!" he retorted. He still took periods to walk and stretch out his legs.

He wrapped gloved hands around the mug and let the heat sink into his bones. He blew away a small pillar of steam and took a sip.

"Though if the heavens are going to open up on us I might find the heart to whinge this morning!" he laughed.

• Yay
"Oh nononono," she tsked with her tongue, that smile still on her face. Sips of her tea as she finished it off, shook out the cup, and put it back in the saddle-bags on her horse. This one was a sleek black with no tarnishes in coloring.

"If anyone gets to complain or whine next, it'll be me. In fact, I wonder if I should declare it as a royal decree. Insist on ordering you to desist and withhold your complaints until further notice."

Perhaps she could joke just as well as he.

• Yay
"Oh am I to be your man servant now?" Rayth laughed. "Silence those noises Keirn, I do not pay you to complain!"

It was his approximation of a well bred accent, more based on his mother than Eislyn. He delivered it quite well.

"I suggest that I pack up the camp without complaint, but in return I am allowed one whinge on the subject of weather and another on what horse riding is doing to my thighs and rear end!"

• Yay
She laughed.

A clear sound in the crisp, morning air. "I don't think you would've done so well in the clergy and I dare say as a man-servant, you probably would've been flogged the first day."

That wasn't true. Eislyn didn't flog her attendants even if other royal families thought they should be. Now atop her horse, she waited patiently for the man she loved, verdants following him fondly as he gathered and put away the last of the camp. A single flurry drifted lazily down from the sky and landed on her nose. Going cross-eyed for a moment, she frowned.

She came close to commenting on his rear-end and thighs but a lady never did so - out in the open! However, she did let her eyes linger then when she thought he wasn't looking.

• Yay