Fable - Ask Unshackled from the Stones

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Mordred

Guardian of the Blood Stone
Character Biography
Link
Mordred wiped his brow and leant against his axe to catch his breath. Before him lay two piles; logs brought in fresh from the mountain forests in one and in the other neatly split firewood ready for the towers hearths – Mor’s handiwork.

There was a simple pleasure to splitting logs.

It had been a task he had always enjoyed when working on his family’s farm because it was a job he hadn’t had to do with a brother or sister or cousin tagging along too. It was lonesome work and that suited the Guardian of the Blood Stone just fine. Not that he was truly alone anyway. Unlike the other Guardians who had returned to their own homes or family estates to spend this Homecoming with their loved ones, Mor was in the small handful of Guardian’s who chose instead to stay within the tower for the full week. Most of them had nowhere else to go. Oh, their families would never turn them away if they turned up on their doorstep – all revered the Guardians for the work they did – but that didn’t mean they were welcome. Murmured conversations, dark looks, hastily made excuses to be elsewhere – they all added up into making a childhood home feel like a prison. Mor had stopped going home after his fourth year with the stone.

The irony was that Mordred never felt more like himself than at Homecoming.

With the stone locked safely in the tower with the others he felt it’s taint withdraw. He stopped hearing whispers when he closed his eyes at night or when he worked on a child’s cut knee. He stopped wondering what it would be like, what he could do, if he listened to the rune’s secrets. He never felt more like himself. Yet when that clarity came there was nobody to enjoy it with. That was partly of his own making these past few years but he would be lying if he said he didn’t hold some quiet resentment and hurt towards his family who had been so eager to push him for this position then abandon him as soon as the stone chosen for him was not one that suited their own needs.

One of the kitchen maids approached with a hesitant smile and a tray on which sat a pitcher of water.

“Thank you, Daisy,” he took the already poured glass and downed it in three long gulps. “This should be enough to see your Chef through to weeks end but I’ll do a few more for the hearths.”

Last edited:
"Somehow I knew you'd still be here, Mordred."

Konstantin rounded a nearby corner to lay his eye upon his oldest remaining companion among the Guardians. Such a shut-in, this one. The crumbling man could never condemn Mordred's apparent preference for solitude; Konstantin, after all, spent most of his time shut away in a study, training, or meditating. Isolation and introversion were easy traps to fall into.

The general unease that many seemed to exhibit when looking upon any of the more "unseemly" members of the Guardians certainly didn't aid the matter at all. The Guardian of Power was all too familiar with the looks bordering on fear or disgust that would fall upon him when he went out. He knew the toll that took upon the psyche, yet languishing and laboring alone was no sensible solution.

"Your sense of duty is admirable, old friend, but you do know it's homecoming, yes?" He commended the Guardian of Blood as he drew closer, dressed and embellished as extravagantly as ever. A gentle smile curled over Konstantin's lips as his eye pondered over the piles of wood, then Mordred. "I'm told that men like us should be out celebrating."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Mordred
Daisy hurriedly dropped into another, nervous curtsey as Konstantin appeared and murmured her excuses to leave. Mordred watched her go with a half sad, half amused smile before turning his gave to Konstantin. Was it his imagination or had his friends body healed itself a little without the Power Stone so close to him? He picked up a towel Daisy had left and wiped his face with it.

"It helps me think," he admitted and tossed the towel to the side. "Besides, there doesn't feel like much reason to be celebrating this year. Not when the Fire Guardian was..." Mordred set one of the logs on the chopping block and hefted the axe onto his shoulder. He grimaced at the news Solomon had all told them then brought the axe down in one brutal swing, cleaving the block in two. He collected one half and set it back on the block.

"Besides - I went to the party," he pointed the head of the axe in Konstantin's direction. "You moaned at me last year for not going to anything, surely I earn a point for that?"

Ingrid felt so much better now that her stone was out of reach. Her skin was Rosser, shocks of red intertwined with the grey in her hair. She could still here it's plaintive call for her hand to caress it once more, and she was happy that it was locked away for the time being.

She was quietly stealing away with an armful of goodies, things that wouldn't taste like death on her tongue. Once that stone was back with her, so too would her taste buds go away again.

Ingrid rounded a corner and stopped suddenly, a bit of sweet bread still hanging from her mouth. She gulped down her mouthful, and smiled warily at the two older guardians. She too preferred the tower to her home. It was just easier here.

"Oh, I didn't expect to run into you guys." She shyly tried tucking her sweets away in various pockets, she had never felt like such a child until this moment. She had caught mention of the fire guardian, and she grimaced. "You don't think the rest of us are in danger, do you?" She looked up to both men before her, people to aspire to. She felt awkward and juvenile in their presence.

The crumbling man offered a polite dip of his head in return to Daisy, then turned his gaze back to Mordred. Konstantin idly scratched at some of the fresher gold near his brow as his friend spoke, but the finger hooked to a halt at the mention of the Fire Guardian. The news was...troublesome, to say the least. Eye glazed over momentarily, the crack of the axe splitting wood didn't earn so much of a flinch from the Power Guardian.

"It is...lamentably, all the more reason for us to be visible at the moment. Our duty is not just to the Stones and the Absalon, but to Valenntinia and her people. Now, more than ever, we need to show our strength. Besides," his tone and expression lifted from somber to cheery in a rather subtle instant. "A single point is not a winning score, my friend."

Just then, another familiar face happened upon the duo. Konstantin turned his head to regard the rather demure visage of one Ingrid Bohnes, the Disease Guardian and perhaps one of the few among their ranks with a Rune as self-destructive as his own. A low hum emanated from Power's throat as he smiled warmly at her.
"Good day, Ingrid," he greeted the pallid young woman. "No, I don't believe so. Any enemy of ours would have to be suicidally foolish to attack us in our own city. Not that I'd let any harm come to any of you while I'm around, anyway."

Thwack went the axe once more as Konstantin spoke. Mordreds brows were knitted into a tight knot and his lips set into a grim line that had nothing to do with the exertion of his task. His friend was right; the death of one of their own was a blow to the whole population. Oh Solomon was trying to stop the information trickling down as much as he could, but people talked. It was the way of life. Soon the city would be abuzz with the news if it wasn't already and people would begin to panic. Seeing other Guardians unbothered... that would help.

Thwack.

He just hated when Kon was right.

Mordred stopped at the sound of another joining them and blinked to see Ingrid's arms full of sweets. His lips twitched in amusement but he tempered it to a kind smile.

"Konstantin is right, Ingrid. It's leaving that'll be the problem. Probably why the old man hasn't given us the go ahead just yet," even though he itched to be away. The stone whispered even through the thick walls of the tower. The longer he stayed...

Ingrid worried at her hands, picking at them and rubbing them together anxiously. She had faith in Kon's words, but she couldn't help but wonder how safe they truly were. The sound of ax meeting wood made her jump, dragging her out of her thoughts.

"It's just that, you know, I don't see anyone being able to take out Fire that easily. Even if they were taken by surprise. Don't you think it's a little strange?"

Ingrid nodded slightly as Mor chimed in, and she tightened her lips. " I think he should just be open with us. I mean, how can we react appropriately if he just hides out in his tower." She huffed slightly, but really it was her stone making her cross. It was hungry, it wanted to leave. She could feel it's ravenous need even from here.

Konstantin nodded his agreement.

"Strange, yes. But it is the Absalon's duty to decide what is best for all of us. If Solomon is too hasty in revealing the nature of what has happened before he himself has all of the information, that, too, could cause a panic."

The Guardian of Power could see the unease written upon the faces of his compatriots. Their stones surely gnawed at them, a sensation he...sort of understood.

"Come, both of you. For our own sakes and that of our people, let's head into town, act like real people for a few hours. What say you?"

• Stressed
Thwack.

Mordred didn't bother to stop himself groaning; Konstantin knew him well enough that he'd have simply imagine the noise he knew his friend was making to himself. He did, however, manage to stop himself from pointing out that it wasn't the three of them the people of the city would like to see. They would want the Guardian of the Faith Stone, or Dreams - even the elemental rune guardians. But Ingrid was young still and he didn't want to squash whatever hope she still had of a normal life.

"I suppose," he set down the axe reluctantly and then began to unroll his sleeves. "But only for an hour."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Konstantin
Imgrid nodded, letting the topic go. She looked up to these two, and if they were confident things would be fine and they could trust Solomon, then she'd listen. "I will be patient and wait then, though waiting is hard." She pouted her lips slightly, worry still evident on her face. This was her family, her messed up family. She didn't want anything bad to happen to them.

She bit her lip as Konstantin mentioned going to town. "People don't like me." She picked at her hands slightly as she looked down. She had saved villages, but had also destroyed things in her wake. She looked at Mordred as he agreed, if he was going to do it, she could too. "I suppose it couldn't hurt to go for a little while."

A wide grin spread across Konstantin's countenance. Perhaps the two most anti-social guardians among the bunch just agreed to go out.

"An hour is a fine starting point, I should think. Splendid!" he said, interweaving his fingers and stretching. "We shall show our countrymen that we are both the emblems of strength they know us to be, but people like them as well. That, and blow off a little steam while we're at it."

• Cthuloo
Mordred's grimace about summed up his sentiments about what the people would really think when they saw the Power, Blood and Disease rune guardian's together. Like an unholy trinity. He wiped the rest of the sweat from his brow and the back of his neck as best he could and, figuring that most people would keep away from him anyway, he decided his tumbled look would have to do.

Inspiring.

"Which tavern?" Mordred asked as the group began to meander their way from the gardens to the main road. Despite their peoples closed nature their city was a thriving metropolis and as such there were several inns and taverns doing a roaring trade. When he had been younger, Mor had once taken part in the yearly crawl where a person attempted to drink a pint in every one in one night.

Ingrid looked to both the men, trepidation still evident in her features. She idolized them both, regardless if they knew it or not. It meant a lot for them to include her.

She followed behind them, at their heels like a lost puppy. She hoped her snacks didn't fall out of her pockets and make her look silly in front of everyone.

Mordred asked no one in particular which tavern and she shook her head slightly. "I've never even been in a tavern, I've no clue." She laughed sheepishly, most human things were foreign to her. He'll, even animals gave her a wide berth.

Konstantin Mordred