Private Tales Two Deaths, One Stone

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Kitra Sen

The Lyrebird of Vel Cirak
Character Biography
Link
Kitra weaved through the crowd; silent and fluid like a breeze through cloud. She was running late, something that did not happen often but enough to make her anxious and impatient to make it to where she needed to be. Even worse, she had someone she was to meet. Kitra did not know much about Alistair Krixus in her short career working in Vel Anir, but she knew he was not one to turn down helping out easily. Well, at least that was what she hoped was the case, since Kitra did not know him well.

But with the pressing matter she wanted to ask favour of him drove her faster and faster, dodging the traffic of Vel Anir, she found herself out of breath and outside the door to the pub she asked her colleague to meet her at. Kit took only a minute to catch her breath before pushing through the door and strolling into the pub she begun to frequent. It was important to have somewhere familiar to touch base with, to build a rapport with the locals and regulars. It was how she got her information and observations back in Vel Cirak, but Vel Anir was a larger pool to wade through.

"Krixus." She greeted her colleague and perhaps new friend as she took the seat opposite from him. "I hope you didn' wait too long."

Judging by the drinks on the table, she gave a sheepish smile. "I would have been sooner but I... actually forgot what day it was."

Last edited:
Alistair rhythmically tapped his fingers against the table, now two drinks into his time at the pub. He had long since noticed the looks he was receiving from some of the patrons of the establishment. After all, it wasn't every day that a blind man took over one table in the corner of the pub to have drinks by himself.

He sighed as he wondered, for the fifth time, where Kitra was. He did not like having his time wasted. Not to mention, with very few magically gifted people in the room, Alistair actually was effectively blind unless he used some of his own mana.

Finally, he did notice that Kitra, or at least some other mage had arrived because he started to be able to see a bit better. His suspicions were confirmed when he heard her voice.

"Sen...an hour and a half, so I hope this is good."

He decided not to even respond to her admission that she had forgotten the day of the meeting. That was a mistake that he would not be happy about, and she knew that.

Kitra Sen

• Derp
Reactions: Kitra Sen
Ah, shit. That was definitely a lengthy time.

Her face expressed it all the same, and Kitra gave him an apologetic smile. "As you know, I came from Vel Cirak. One of my contacts there recently moved here to Anir for business, and just two days ago he ended up dead. I was hoping you might know what this is..." From her pocket, she produced a stone. It was painted red, do dark it almost looked like blood. Kit had gotten it tested for it, but it came back as paint sold all over Vel Anir and the territories.

"He had been telling me about this rock, this specific rock, in the throat of one of his colleagues. They deliver goods from the market to businesses. I..." Kitra placed the stone in the space between them. "Harlan never got into the dark side of things, you know? He was like a sweet grandfather type. If this all happened in Cirak, I would be able to find out what happened within a day but... Vel Anir is a larger network I am still wading through."

But Alistair was a noble. He had power and standing, not to mention served in the Vigilite longer than she had.

"We buried him yesterday... I didn't so much as forget the day as I did forget to sleep a wink all night... hence why I was running so late."

Kit had been beating herself up for caring about someone she did not call a friend, but Harlan's information back home had played so many important parts during her years as a Dreadlord.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair dismissed the excuses with a wave of his hand. There was nothing more to be said about it, he had waited here and she was here now, nothing could be changed about it.

Moving to what seemed the reason for the meeting, Alistair blindly reached out and found the stone. It had been hard to see without activating runes which meant it had very little magical connection. His grey eyes suddenly lit up with an etheric blue color as he finally got a good look at the stone. No carvings or writing were visible, just a red stone...interesting.

Alistair slowly handed the stone back to Kitra before finishing the rest of his drink.

"I think I have an idea of what this is, but I know someone who definitely knows what this is."

Not waiting for an answer, he stood up from his seat and began to walk towards the exit.

"Come on, she should just be waking up."

Kitra Sen

• Frog Eyes
Kit's demeanor settled into something more serious, more herself or what she had been comfortable putting on back in Vel Cirak. Here, she had been put to work with Trix and Alistair, adapting to the energies put out.

When he stood, Kitra was already rising along with him, almost synchronised with him. "I'm pleased to hear this." She tried to keep the surprise out from her voice, but as she walked two paces behind him, that comfortable smile was coaxed. "You also realise I intend on keeping this off the books, right?"

She gave him a sidelong glance, raising a brow to drive home that she really did not want this to be a whole thing. "I promised not to get involved with things back in Vel Cirak but... I have a feeling it may lead back there."

And there was reason why she had been transferred from her home to here.

Alistair Krixus

Alistair looked back at her as he reached the door. His expressionless eyes stared at her for a second like he was looking for something. Finally, he turned back and continued to move.

"That is of your own prerogative. All I know is that there was a murder in Vel Anir, and we will see justice is distributed."

In truth, Alistair could understand her reasoning. Some things were better left done in the dark. The fact that she had asked him for help at all meant that she was truly at a loss.

Alistair led Kitra into the lower city where streets and buildings were more tightly packed and the buildings were less pristine. It was the complete opposite of Alistair's entire aesthetic, and yet he seemed oddly comfortable here.

"It's here."

They stopped outside of a ramshackle apothecary building with a worn-out sign that noted it as such with an old faded rose painted next to the words.

Kitra Sen

• Frog Eyes
An apothecary.

Still new to this city, one that was larger than Vel Cirak, Kitra had not ventured into the lower city often since duty pulled her away. It was one of the first places she visited, but to tap into this network required more time and patience.

The rock felt heavier in her pocket as she brushed past the nobleman and entered the apothecary.

There was one being present, whom looked up at the sound of the bell ringing lightly as Kitra pushed the door and began to let her brown eyes roam. "Can I help you?" They asked her. When Alistair entered, their demeanour shifted entirely.

Kitra approached slowly, hand reaching into her pocket to retrieve the red painted stone.

"Found this from a friend. Was told you might know what it means?"

Alistair said nothing as they entered the building since Kitra took the lead. However, he locked eyes with the apothecary for only a minute and simply nodded for them to continue.

The apothecary quickly wiped their hands and put aside whatever it was that they were working on. It did not take long for them to look over the stone, only take a glance.

"Oh, this is a signal stone. A simple thing really. You leave this at designated drop boxes throughout the city to let others of ..." The woman glanced at Alistair one more time before continuing, "A more seedy variety that you would like to meet with them. It works as proof that the holder is trustworthy and not some sort of snitch. Without one, don't count on getting a meeting."

To prove her point, the apothecary pulled out from beneath the counter another stone of similar appearance except this stone was blue.

Kitra Sen

• Frog Eyes
Kit's brows furrowed for the briefest moment before tilting her head. Two different painted stones of colour had not been what she was expecting, but clearly Alistair had brought her to someone with a great amount of information about this. Kit chewed her lip.

"This stone was found at two murder scenes, the last being found in their throat. What message does that send?" She should have asked about the blue stone the other woman was in possession of, but Kitra knew she had time to get answers to everything else.

She spared the quickest moment to turn to look at Alistair.

Alistair Krixus

The apothecary frowned in thought, tapping her finger against the counter before pausing as when she organized her thoughts.

"Well, it could mean various things. If it was the stone of the murdered then it would likely signify they did something wrong or saw something they should not have. If it was the killer, then maybe they were trying to send some sort of message, but I can't think of why someone would give up their stone."

As the apothecary explained all of this, Alistair seemed to be thinking about the possibilities before he spoke up,

"Are you sure your friend did not get involved in this, Kitra?"

Kitra Sen

• Frog Eyes
Kitra's jaw clenched.

As much as she believed people were creatures of habit, she also believed that people could be adaptive to new things. It was how she viewed her magic. Able to take on pieces of others that were not her, but made it her own. That was until she touched magic. It was volatile, and only if someone had allowed her to mimic them and train was she deadly.

"I will admit I have not kept such tabs on him since he came here from Cirak." She loosed a breath. Eyes dropped to the red stone.

"It was found in his throat, my contact. This stone belonged to someone working at the harbour, and his belongings were sent to my contact because he had no other family and was close friends with Harlan... perhaps debts could have transferred after he passed."

She did not like speaking ill of the dead. Kitra raised her gaze to look between Alistair and the shopkeeper. "Do you think we can track down an answer for you if I give you the original beholder's name?"

Alistair Krixus

There was also just the likelihood that the original owner of the stone just told Harlan something that the killer did not want him to know. Either way, finding the killer was just a matter of finding the original reason for the killing.

"Yes, if I can't find them then Val here at least knows who they are."

The apothecary did not look pleased she was getting involved in more of this especially after learning this had involved a murder, but she was too afraid to say anything to Alistair on the matter. Maybe she would bring it up later when he owed her.

Alistair picked up the stone and handed it back to Kitra, it would be a good idea to hold on to this for now. As he handed it over, Alistair took placed a small unnoticeable mark on the stone with his magic.

Kitra Sen

• Frog Eyes
"Leif Sarrtor. He was a prisoner before finding work at the docks and was granted his release. Kept the same job and worked alongside Harlan for the last three years."

In fact, Kitra had met him once. She had come to visit Harlan to see if he still traded in information, but the man gave her a smile and told her Vel Anir was a fresh start. Had even encouraged her to do the same, but Kitra needed that network to hide amongst.

"That's all I could find out about him." There was frustration evident in her furrowed brows. A year here and already she felt as if she were constantly falling from the sky with no ropes to hold to. And so she had to ask for someone's help. She could have asked Trix, in fact, she could have asked her to come along and help like the team they were, but Kitra figured Al and his runes could help when she could not come up with any answers.

Val's face scrunched up in annoyance, "The docks...there has been a lot of turnover there since the revolution. Gangs trying to throw muscle around there only to get snuffed out and a new one takes its place."

Alistair nodded along with the explanation as his fingers started to glow and a formula of magical runes began to appear in the air.

This information would make it even more annoying. Sarrtor may have just been unfortunate enough to run into some idiot gang that was trying to make a name for itself and then caught Harlan in the crosshairs.

Upon completion of the spell, Alistair's eyes began to glow with a soft green light.

"Let's take a walk around the docks then, if we get close to anywhere that stone was then I may be able to pick up on it. If we can get a location then we can figure out the gang."

Kitra Sen

• Peek
Kitra gave the other woman a kind smile. "Thank you for your help."

Pocketing the stone, she made a sound that could only be described as a quippy whistle to get Alistair's attention and motion for him to follow as she left the apothecary. Taking in a deep breath once outside, she rested her hands at her hips, looking around the street. "Docks are a fair way's walk. You good for that, Krixus?"

She at least wore boots worn down to a comfortable fit, and if she could run in them, she could certainly walk a distance. If not, Kit was happy to flag down a carriage to take them there.

Alistair just stared at Kitra with a straight face for several seconds, "I'm blind Kitra, my feet work fine."

He said as he began to walk in the direction of the docks. Really, he was a Dreadlord, to think someone would ask him if he could make a simple walk. He had been spending too much time at the Academy if his reputation was getting this bad.

"So do you have any theories about your friend? I know of one or two gangs at the docks, but too many pop up every other day. It's frustrating."

The city was of course doing it's job maintaining public order, but that might be the problem in some way. Every time they busted one group, then a power vacuum was created and another took its place.

Kitra Sen

• Derp
Kitra rolled her eyes.

"Yes, I know." She snapped slightly, her tone begrudging. "And here I thought you were going to be concerned about having to make small talk for over an hour." Perhaps now she was not good for this walk.

But they pressed forward, Kitra taking a minor role in leading the pair. Her expression was one that made many give way to them both, cutting them a nice path towards the docks as she listened to him speak. She chewed her lip, thinking over and over if there was anything said between the Lyrebird and the Fletcher in their careers.

"He never had a bad bone in his body. Protected my identity back home when I needed to not be caught... conducting personal investigations. My theory is that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time." Kit didn't have a family, only returning to serve Vel Cirak as her family and home as Dreadlord. Harlan had looked out for her, and soon many Cirakians began to trust Kitra.

She flung out her arm when they came to a street, stopping Alistair from crossing as children were running about and knocked over a vendor with a crate of onions. The vendor screamed in frustration, then look to the crowd to find who was responsible for the vile children running amok.

"Sorry." He was blind, that was her excuse. "Let's go another way." Her usual approach was to disappear into a crowd. Kitra was unremarkable in appearance, a face that blended with many others and could be described vaguely before being forgotten altogher. But Alistair was striking. She could admit that, and see it in practice when many of the women around them would look and stare at the noble lord. Kitra could not blend into a crowd with him following her like that.

So a quieter route would do.

Alistair Krixus

Small talk? Why would he need to make small talk? They could just walk. No need to add other pointless exercises.

As they made their way down to the dock, Alistair was surprised to be suddenly stopped by Kitra and then faced with a mad vendor. However, the man was about to turn his yelling on Alistair when a glare from the young man stopped the vendor in his tracks...Sometimes superiority did not need to be voiced, it was just understood.

"There has to be a little more than that if they bothered to leave a calling card...maybe it is a case of mistaken identity."

Harlan could have been speaking with someone who was far more accustomed to the dirty streets of Vel Anir, and then simply been mistaken. If so...what a waste of a person.

Alistair continued to follow along after Kitra, allowing her to lead since this was her crusade to begin with. He was simply here to provide a helping hand or sword if need be.

"I haven't really asked, but do you want revenge or answers? Are we bringing this killer to the city's justice or to your justice?"

He did not necessarily care either way, but it was important for the purposes of knowing how quickly he could start swinging.

Kitra Sen

• Nervous
Lie.

It was her instinct to do so, to hide her true intentions and thoughts, but she had asked for Alistair's help with this. And if she wanted to lie to him, then it meant she did not trust him, yet it was her trust and respect for him that made her approach him for help to begin with.

"I suppose both. Or at least... learn who it is that was responsible." She was glad she was not side by side with him, for her gaze could not stray from the path before them. This route was long, but it bypassed many high traffic areas, and allowed them to go at a pace that gave Kit time to be wary of their surrounds. "I want the answers first before I begin any revenge plots."

She left it unsaid, that the answers would no doubt steer her towards a decision to retaliate or not.

"I can't hide as the Lyrebird here. Here, in Vel Anir, I am simply a member of the Vigilite." She was a speck against many shining stars on the canvas of night in this city.

"Fair enough."

They could do both, most of his official missions involved that process anyway. What was one more gang to wipe off the face of Vel Anir, and if it proved to be one man then that would make it easier.

"The Vigilite also grants us a little bit of power in itself. Obviously, we can not go pushing this too far, but if we have to use the name then no one will try interfering with us if they can help it."

Of course, Alistair could understand the fear that came with not having an alias to hide behind. If they used the Vigilite's name then they would have to explain to superiors why, at a later date. It exposed themselves to other problems down the road. Therefore, it would be better if they could solve this problem now.

"If we find out some gang did this then maybe we can convince a rival to assist in exterminating the problem."

While underground politics were often dirty and complicated, it actually wasn't that different from court politics which he was far more accustomed to. The main difference was that the participants were less likely to partake in tea.

Kitra Sen

• Thoughtful