Open Chronicles Touch of Grey

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Cato

Blackshield Captain
Character Biography
Link
"House Yhiron has a long and storied history of protecting the Reach. The blood of my sires and their sires before them are soaked deep within the very ground upon which you stand. The Elk Helm has been the symbol of our pride for nearly five hundred years. Thus the recent loss of our sacred artifact brings me both great pain and anger. I would right this wrong myself but I fear this a ploy to pull me away from my own lands. Find our helm, and you shall be rewarded accordingly." - Baroness Yvress Yhiron​

The notice for assistance had not nearly been as specific. It simply stated that a noble of the Reach wished to retrieve her stolen property. Cato thought the whole thing was about lifted goods. These rich bastards often made sport of such things. It was especially normal in these parts. The main road was better than some but heavy woods made thievery all too easy, if not tempting. The mercenary wasn't complaining as it made for good business. Man like him was likely to be on either side of the transaction.

This time it seemed he'd be fancying himself a bit of a hero. Most nobles were nothing more than a piece of silk and a fancy name. Cato had to admit that the Yhirons were different. They were respected by folk, and not just by those with honeyed tongues. Families rose and fell constantly; gods only knew the mercenary helped bring a few down in his time. Wasn't often that a house like Yhiron lasted this long and yet here they were.

Taking all this into consideration, things were less fucked than usual but still fucked. It'd take a bold bastard to invoke the ire of Yhiron, whose knights were more than just laced-up conscripts.

Thus Cato found himself waiting just outside the gates of Belhare, seat of House Yhiron's power. He was damned good at his work but it'd still take a few extra hands to see this through. He could only hope that at least one half-competent cunt was keen on getting paid.

Last edited:
Sebastion was one of those half-competent cunts keen on getting paid. Him and Cato have pitched in on the same pot the last few jobs, and they were quite happy with their arrangement. He read the post after Cato concluded his drawn out and thorough inspection. Soaked deep within the very ground upon which you stand? Huh, these rich bastards were always so pompous and sanctimonious. He skimmed to the part about the helm, it missing, and that beautiful sparkling word, Reward. He turned to Cato, "I already know the answer is yes, we're taking the job. But this doesn't seem like your usual plundering, sacking, or needlessly murdering type 'o job." He leaned against the wall with a raised and inquisitive brow. "Smells like a honeypot to me." He smirked. Not truly believing his words. In the off chance they actually ended up doing a honeypot, he wanted to call back to this moment.

Last edited:
The jury could be considered out on if the young, fresh-faced elf that sauntered up to the gates with eyes full of dreams was either competent or looking to be paid. N'aschi Kona knew nothing of the Baroness Yhiron, save for the call for help that had been generously posted throughout the surrounding cities, nor did he have any inkling as to the significance, if any, of the Elk Helm she pled for.

But there was a treasure to be recovered and returned to its owner, reputation to be gained from the act, and fame to be brought to his feet should he exceed expectations. That was more valuable to the young Bog-Elf than anything else. The money mattered little. He ran a hand through his feathered hair as he stared past the gates towards what lie beyond, a smile plastered on his lips.

He almost didn't notice the others around him, but he knew better than to ignore them completely. He'd already made the mistake of trying to do the insurmountable alone, and while his skills had improved considerably, his weapon work still had the signs of inexperience.

What better way to iron out his kinks than to rescue a treasured heirloom?

"It's perfect. I can scarcely wait."

Cato responded to the other mercenary with a sardonic look. "That's exactly what's got me worried. Plundering and murdering is easy to understand. This whole situation reeks of politics..." Where politics was involved, fuckery was bound to follow. He'd heard rumors of some bad blood between the neighboring baronies. A few small skirmishes had a way of turning into a war. The Baroness' logic was sound and that made the mercenary captain anxious. "If only the coin wasn't so damned good." The great conundrum that every mercenary faced. Not to mention it wouldn't hurt to be in the favor of House Yhiron.

"Best hope another hand or two shows up otherwise we might as well just shiv ourselves now and get it over with," the mercenary said, only half-joking. He knew that Bas was damn good swordhacker but numbers were numbers. Didn't want too many, or too few for a job like this.

Almost as if on cue, another individual rode up to the gates. Could've just been a normal traveler but Cato didn't think so. The contract board has stated to meet here at this particular time before setting out. More importantly, the lad had a certain look in his eyes; one that any mercenary knew all too well since it often reflected their own.

"I suppose it's good that you're eager," replied Cato, catching the other man's last few words. "Take it you're here for the Baroness' helm? Name's Cato." He didn't bother to introduce Bas. Man had an occasional flair for the dramatic and wasn't likely to miss the opportunity.

Sebastion Kane N'aschi Kona

• Dab
Reactions: Sebastion Kane
"The only thing that reeks around here is you." He quipped. Then winked. "The coin IS good, agreed." He said, inquisitively stroking his chin. His thoughts grew louder, muffling Cato's joke. A sacred artifact of this magnitude must go for a prettier penny than what the queen has to offer. Maybe we could double cross somehow. Make more than just coin in this exchange.

"Take it you're here for the Baroness' helm? Name's Cato."

He shook his head clear of thought and kicked off the wall. He held out his hand to the newcomer with a big, beautiful smile. "You're a sneaky reprobate ain't ya. I know my people when I smell 'em. Name's Bastion. Bash for short." His eyes denoting the studs on his caestus.

Cato N'aschi Kona

Last edited:
  • Smug
Reactions: Cato
N'aschi wore a smile when the other two men finally took notice of him, reaching out to accept the handshake with barely a thought and the glimmer of mischief in his eye that confirmed Bastion's suspicions without making it too obvious. The elf was obviously a youth, and the weapons he carried on his back were strange and makeshift, but he had the attitude down, for certain.

"Hello Cato, Bastion. You can call me N'aschi. Nas, if you prefer."

His head turned to look at the estate ahead of them, his smile only growing wider thinking of all the eyes that must be on it. How many passed this place each day? How many of them would see him entering? Small events, little moments of note that would build into his legend.

"I don't know about reprobate, but I am looking for a little trouble. Doesn't this place practically reek of it? It's no wonder thieves are so attracted to it. Imagine casing a place like this, what it means for your ability."

The mercenary took a sniff of a pit and shrugged, didn't seem any worse than usual. Couple days of hard riding wasn't going to have you smelling nice as a councilor's taint. Cato could almost see the gears working in the other mercenary's mind. He couldn't blame the man but best to leave those thoughts aside for the moment. Bash wasted little time giving his standard introduction and that was that.

He had to admit that the lad held himself well. Confidence was either earned or you'd end up with the worms, but it was needed nonetheless. Time would tell with Nas but it was a decent start. "Trouble is like to get you killed. So I wouldn't go looking for it too hard." There was no malice in Cato's tone, only the typical jadedness of a man who killed for coin. "In any case, helm's already been stolen so no point doing any more imaging."

Cato looked up to the midday sun and then back towards the city gates. There didn't appear to be any further takers and the mercenary wasn't of a mind to wait regardless. He urged his mount into motion and headed in the opposite direction of Belhare. "Heard there's an inn not far from here. Sort of place where we can learn a few things."

His words remained vague as they were still within earshot of the city's foot-traffic. The Baroness' bounty had been no secret but Cato wasn't keen on identifying themselves.

"Don't suppose either of you know anything about Baron Vermure? Told he's been at odds with the Yhirons for awhile now."

Sebastion Kane N'aschi Kona

• Popcorn
Reactions: Agatha
In the shadow of the sun, not too far away the three soldiers of fortune were being watched. Caits dirty old tunic let him blend in well with the rest of the city dregs and despite hating the idea of actually earning a living he figured the men were meeting to go out on a job. Probably something to do with those pious knights or whatever. He'd read a few posters but only some varied words clung to his mind at the time, the rest were either ignored or forgotten but the gatehouse was mentioned so he waited and watched. Idly he palmed his last three coins and flicked one to an old blind beggar woman who sat next to him, seeking shelter from the merciless sun on her withered and pox marked skin.
"Pray fate keep ye well Old Mother..." then tossed her another "and pray for me and all." She spoke some words through rotten and gaped teeth making the sign of mercy and good fortune with her gnarled hands towards the sound of his voice.
He stepped into the light of the open street slowly and made his way towards them. He was no warrior and he worked no magics but he was prepared to offer his help such as it was. To calm his nerves he rolled his last coin over the backs of his knuckles as he went.
He spoke in an accent thick as honey and bitter as lemons and addressed the one who had arrived first.

"Can't say I do Sir."
He gave them all a moment to take him in.
Cato N'aschi Kona Sebastion Kane

Last edited:
  • Smug
He nodded in agreement at Cato's words about trouble an all that. He weighed and measured the kid behind his calm countenance. The kid had spunk, moxie, and a hardened look about em. They needed more of that. The last crew was lacking, and much older. "Dotards." he mumbled behind Cato's questioning. "I know fuck all about Baron Vermure." He confidently shook his gold pouch. "However, gold and booze loosens tight lips. No matter the status of a man." The playful expression on his face slowly faded into one of intrigue and worry. He nodded towards the derelict salamander of a man slithering up to him and his compatriots.

Oof. And I thought Cato smelled.

Cato Caits N'aschi Kona

• Wonder
Despite his boundless enthusiasm, N'aschi was quickly beginning to realize, listening to his new companions talk, that he didn't have much idea as to how he planned on retrieving the crown. Inexperience being what it was, he'd had no practice doling bribes or charming information out of susceptible locals. What had been fantastical excitement had now narrowed to intense focus as he leaned in, paying close mind to both Sebastion and Cato.

So intense, in fact, that he failed to even notice a third man approaching.

"I'm from far away." Kona admitted somewhat sheepishly. "The bayou, in fact. So I don't have much grip on the politics of any of the main land cities, though I know how politician's thing, to a degree." He'd been born the son of one, after all.

Briefly his hand moved to pat at his satchel... Just as he had little in the way of experience, he also was lacking any real amount of money...

"I like the plan, but I'm a bit on the broke side. I've a few coins, but that's it."

It was only now that he caught sight of the newcomer, and raised an eyebrow before offering a small smile.

"Oh! Hello! Are you from the Bayou too?"

He certainly smelled like it

• Smug
"You're not wrong Bash but I've a mind to earn some coin, not spend it." He knew the other mercenary was probably right but that didn't mean Cato had to like it. The merchants in Alliria had a saying, 'you need to spend money to make money'. Suffice to say, Cato was still skeptical. He hadn't met a single merchant that didn't lie for fun. Greedy cunts only ever had one thing on their mind. The mercenary captain had worked for enough peddlers in his time to know what they were about. They were right about one thing, coin was how most things got done in this shitty world.

"Slippery bastard aren't ya?" remarked Cato to the new arrival. He'd barely heard the man join them, though he certainly smelled him. Didn't bother Cato much, slums of Alliria weren't much different. Dirty work was going to get you dirty, didn't need to know anymore than that. "You can just call me Cato. Gods only know half the Company doesn't even call me 'Sir'." He doubted Agatha had the same problem but the men in the Third were irreverent to say the least.

Cato turned to the young lad from the Bayou. "Politics is politics, no matter where you are. It's all shit and general rat-fuckery. Just keep yer wits about you and we'll get this done." The mercenary captain had apparently taken a liking to Nas. Maybe it was because the lad was so open about his business. It was dangerous to blindly trust folk in this work but going it alone would get you killed.

Eventually their motley crew made it to Midden's Recess, the inn that Cato mentioned earlier. The place was moderately full and more than a few were carrying steel. Not unusual in these parts, but still something to keep note of. As the four found themselves a table, the innkeep came to take their order. Cato ordered himself whatever horsepiss this placed called ale and one more thing as well. "You know anything about this spat between Yhiron and Vermure?"

Before the innkeep could give her answer, there was a shuffle of movement besides them. A number of men now surrounded their table, all bearing the same insignia; a shield crossed with roses. "Some fine livery you gents have there," offered the mercenary.

This wasn't likely to end well.

Sebastion Kane N'aschi Kona Caits

As they made their way to the Inn Caits told his new companions his name, answered that he was not from the Bayou but in fact Elbion and chuckled when he was called a "slippery bastard" because he liked to think he was.

And then it happened.

Caits knew, he KNEW it wouldn't be long before trouble found this venture and here it was. At least two of them for each man in the group. Looking ready to fight and no doubt waiting for them to be the unlucky arselings that asked the wrong questions about the wrong rich pucker.
Well easy come easy go.
"Beggin' yer pardon fine sirs I aft gone left me kettle on an..."
His attempt to stand was arrested by a bald man in a spiked collar who looked like his face had been used to fry eggs on. As he was shoved back into his seat he threw his one good eye up to the heavens, or in this case the ceiling and wormed his fingers towards the hilt of his dagger.
"Fair 'nuff!" He said accepting that this was probably not going to be a pleasant encounter. His eye glanced about the other men with him to take his start. No doubt when things got messy they would get VERY messy.

• Smug
"Why yes of course. Excuse my manners." He tied the bag back onto his belt and flipped his armor over it. "I've always been the one keen on saving and investing. Allow me to pay our way if it comes to that." With that, they took their leave. On their way to the Inn Cato spat out information at the new recruits. Preparing them for what was to come.

Upon arrival he ordered the Midden's best brew, likely shit water. It was a shoddy establishment. At least to his standards. Cheap. Effective. Good for collecting secrets. Lively for this part of the day. He rest his bastard sword against the table and took his seat with his drink. Cato was questioning the innkeeper. His provocative sequence stirred some unseemly gentlemen nearby. They circled the table threateningly. Ah shit. I haven't even had a sip. "I haven't even had a sip!" One of the men halted Cait's advance to stand with a shove. "Now why did you have to go and do a thing like that? Can't we be civil? After all, we're in a tavern. Not swine, rolling around in a mud pit." He took a sip and shot a look to Cato over the rim of the mug. Fuck it.

He splashed the remainder of his drink into the face of the man that shoved his comrade. He quickly stood and donkey kicked his chair into the knees of the man accosting him. He spun for his bastard sword and shouted, "You wanna dance?! Lets fucking dance!"

Caits Cato N'aschi Kona

Last edited:
  • Smug
  • Wonder
Reactions: Cato and Caits
(Sorry about that! Somebody forgot to watch the thread!)

N'aschi had opted to remain outside while his new partners worked their magic. After all, who could say whether they were being tailed by some unsavory types, looking to swipe the job out from under them? They didn't write ballads about the people in second place, after all!

The high-spirited elf got plenty of raised eyebrows leaning against the side of the bar, and one politely declined encounter with a strange woman offering to sell him company. He explained that he had plenty inside, but thanked her for the offer anyway. The mainland was quite bizarre, indeed. He only hoped that they could get into some action soon-- Kona loathed idle hands.

His wish would come true sooner than he expected. The shouting voice of Sebastion rang out loud enough to be heard from outside, not long after some noisy crashing. A fight! A barfight, no less! That he could help with! He'd seen his uncle clear enough bars to know how that worked!

Rushing inside, he bore witness to his comrades fighting back against a burly group of men, all encircling them.

Hey, that one with his back to him was about the height of a Swamp K'thatt.

Stepping forward and bringing one leg off of the ground, N'aschi spun on the butt of his heel and delivered a ferocious kick to the side of another mercenary's head, sending him to the floor in a groaning heap. Leaping up onto the table his friends had been seated at, he then jumped knees first into the mercenary with drink in his face, bringing his knees right into the poor bastard's jaw and sending them both down.

Caits reacted with a surprising amount of restraint, Bash decidedly did not. Cato wasn't bothered since this was all bound to go to shit eventually. A few added works wasn't likely to calm the situation down any. These noble-serving pricks clearly weren't of a mind to have a civilized discussion. Would've been better to avoid bloodshed this early on but keeping things simple had its own merits.

"Why're you getting all poetic now?" He barked at his fellow mercenary. 'Dancing', this was going to be anything but.

A gauntlet hand rested heavy on the mercenary's shoulder as if challenging Cato to stand. He figured it was best to the opposite. The mercenary simply succumbed to the pressure, allowing himself to fall from his seat. Cato was already recovering as the Vermure knight stumbled forward. He twisted and yanked his foe forward. The knight lost balance completely and hit the inn floor moments later. A glint of steel flashed in the mercenary's hand and then disappeared a moment later as it buried in his opponent's neck. He stood just in time to see Nas come flying across the table and into another knight.

Cato knew that they could earn themselves a wicked vendetta by killing a noble's retainer. The thing was, you needed to be alive to worry about consequences. And this bastard would've certainly seen him sleeping with the worms. He was also thinking House Vermure might have bigger problems than a few mercenaries if they were indeed the thieves.

"You sniveling cunt!" roared another knight, eyes full of malice and the steel to match. Cato began to appreciate Bash's eloquence just a bit more.

Caits Sebastion Kane N'aschi Kona

Caits exploded into motion. His elbow cocking back to find the bald man's groin and then slipping down under the table and onto his knees. Curved dagger in hand he made his way over to the other end of the table stood. *"You sniveling cunt!"* The knight roared as he charged past him.
Caits stuck out a scrawny leg and caught the knight who stumbled and fell face first at Cato's feet.
The other man he left not nursing his manhood on the floor leaped on the table behind him with an axe at the ready and swung.
Caits barely made it away as the blade flew past his face.
This was getting too close for his taste.

Sebastion Kane Cato N'aschi Kona

• Scared
Reactions: Sebastion Kane
He slammed the pommel of fidelity against the jaw of his assailant, knocking him on top of the other knight. The strikes he delivered weren't meant to kill, just concuss. Maybe some questioning would be needed? He spun on his heel, leaving the vemure lads to struggle with their topsy turvy realities. The scene before him was a circus, less a dance. Flying knees and elbows from atop the table.
Sallow limbs grabbing from beneath. Chairs and mugs marionetting. What the hells? He parried an attack from his left. Steel matching. A fist found his his left ear, the sneaky punch knocked off course by Caits cheeky floor work. He headbutt the man's chin, *crunch* and sent him crashing into the chair legs behind him. Like spikes jutting out from the bottom of a pit, they punctured. A scream followed. He winced at the man's agony, then turned to Cato. His eyes widened as he watched Cato's blade reduce the man before him to nothing. "Keep one alive." He barked, but with heavy heart. It wasn't the act that disturbed him. It was the domino's that followed the act. He turned back to the two struggling knights. One was getting to his knees, using the table as a crutch. The other lay face down in a puddle of grog, limbs twitching. He took a step towards the stumbling knight, fidelity raised, "Better luck in the next life." The man raised a hand to the back of his head as if to stop the inevitable. But it only served as a marker.

Caits Cato N'aschi Kona

"Not sure he was gonna extend me the same courtesy Bash," came the sardonic reply. The other mercenary clearly hadn't expected things to turn to blood so quickly. Cato knew how reckless they'd gotten but he wasn't taking any chances. These self-righteous bastards would run him through without a second thought. He was simply responding in kind.

Another charged Cato but his new companion was quick to react. The mercenary watched the knight stumble and fall at his feet. He drew his sword and then paused, remembering Bash's earlier words. Instead his foot crashed into the downed man's face. The man's jaw was probably broken but Cato was sure he could still talk somewhat if needed.

He looked in the other mercenary's direction as if to say 'happy?'. The last of Cato's opponents was not so lucky. He came at the mercenary captain, sword raised, and Cato answered in kind. Steel clashed in rapid succession before the mercenary's blade found itself comfortably lodged in the other man's gut. He wrenched the blade free and turned to the others to see how they were faring.

Assuming the rest of the bastards had been dealt with, Cato made a proposition. "Thinking it's bout time to quit this place lads, with our new friend of course." He added with gesture to vaguely conscious knight he had kicked earlier.

Caits Sebastion Kane N'aschi Kona

N'aschi wasn't exactly sure why they'd all been fighting in the first place. His impression had been that the group had come here for some information, perhaps a drink to go with it. That he'd involved himself in the fracas was more a reactionary thing than anything else. Still, by the time the commotion had died down, the young bog elf found himself standing victoriously atop a pig-bellied drunkard who'd thought it wise to swing at him, with his lanky friend hanging limp from his arm.

Kona wasn't the smartest, most talented, or fastest of his tribe, but the boy could have a tussle like few others living in the bog. When Cato called for them to leave, he turned his scarred young face towards the other man with a bewildered blink. "Oh, did you guys get what you need?" He asked, taking a cursory glance at the wounded knight Cato motioned to. "Yeesh. That's ugly..."

N'aschi leaped from the belly of the drunken brawler, a groan emanating from underneath him as he snagged a drink from one of the undisturbed tables and took a quick swig. He hadn't killed anybody himself, and hadn't intended to. What these fellows did wasn't particularly his problem, and he certainly wasn't about to chastise them; He was the outsider here, after all.

"What was that all about, anyway?" He asked the rest of the company as they departed the tattered and tossed tavern. "Seemed like you were in there for no time at all before the commotion started. I had to excuse myself from this nice lady trying to keep me company, and I feel rather bad about it..." With a shrug, he tossed the empty mug he'd grabbed back through the door of the tavern and looked at Caits.

"Ah well... You, Caits was it? I was wrong about you, you're far swifter than you appear."

Either panicked or cunning Caits reached out to his axe wielding attacker and pulled his leg back sending the other man sprawling on the tabletop.
Then he backed up to find Cato who seemed far more a capable warrior than he. He ignored N'aschi's quip about him because he didn't like to talk during fights. They weren't fun for him.
"Any chance we cahn wrap this ere party up?"
All about him his allies were conducting themselves well against the small mob. Which puzzled him greatly.
Why send such slobs against these slayers?
"Somefin's nae righe!"

He withdrew his sword from the skull of the condemned and wiped his blade clean. "Right." He gave a cursory glance at the scene and left ten gold pieces on the table next to the damaged one they sat at before the brawl. He quickly checked the pockets of the fallen to replenish his expenditure. "That was fucking ugly, boys." He stuffed his bag full of coins and motioned towards the unconscious knight. "Someone help me."

"Do we have a place to fall back to, Cato?"
He nodded at Caits. "Maybe you have a nose for such a spot? We can't be seen dragging this fucker." His face was hot. His body perspired at an uncomfortable rate from the injection of adrenaline that still coursed through him. He hadn't killed someone in an age. Coin and promise kept others from the harsh end of his blade. He was prepared for the worst, but he still held onto his tenuous grasp with hope. Maybe it was time to let that go. He shot a look over to N'aschi, shielding his face from the glaring sun. "That, my dear boy, was murderous intent paid by the royals of this city. Or at least one of 'em. Someone has us pegged and we've yet to sit down for a meal in this fucking city." He gave a worried look to Cato. This is fucked.

Cato N'aschi Kona Caits

• Smug