Open Chronicles Tonight's Entertainment

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Varys

The Speaker
Character Biography
Link
Oban was known for many things: The tall walls that surrounded it, the unforgiving and punishing might of the law, and the diversity of wealth among it's many peoples from slum to palace. Of course, the elite few nobles and royals held all the cards when it came to power and wealth in the city. They lived lavish lives, and enjoyed luxury the common folk could only dream of. Any chance these privileged few had to show off their wealth was usually quite quickly picked up on.

Maybe that's why there was such a large turnout for parties and celebrations like one that was being held tonight. Varys wasn't privy to what the occasion was to hold a formal ball in the wealthy heart of Oban, but knowing some of the people who lived here, they may have just as well made one up. They'd certainly spared no expense: Lights and music filled the air inside of the obscenely large ballroom, banners hanging from every balcony, every table covered with food, and a smile every face. Word had certainly spread; from the balcony that the young elf stood on, he could see races that almost never visited the heart of Dalriada partaking in the mingling. He wouldn't have been surprised if there was a Savannah Troll down there.

Some couples had paired off and danced in the middle of the ballroom, under an extravagant chandelier, other's mingled and talked, or filled their stomachs gleefully at a small dining area set up near the giant window that looked out over the night time skyline. This crowd didn't do much to raise Varys's spirits. It only made him even more trepidatious.

After all, he was supposed to be tonight's entertainment.

Varys ran his hand through the slivery white hair that hung over his shoulder, hiding his nerves expertly as an older human male in robes and gold jewelry spoke from his side. It was all Varys could do to hold back a groan. "We've drawn quite the crowd tonight Varys! Just think of all the gold we'll be able to get out of this show, it'll make the last one look like chump change!" Varys, with narrowed eyes and the tilt of a pointed ear, turned his head to look at the old man, his lips curling into a half smirk. "Yes, it should be quite profitable assuming you don't make an ass out of yourself and you let me do my job in peace. I told you I didn' t want to talk to you, Niv. Why are you so insistent on bothering me?" His words are met with the man's hand solidly thumping his back. "Because you owe me, San' Seya. I haven't forgotten that trick with the cursed gold you pulled on me. It was either host this ball with me, or something much worse. Now go mingle, and butter the crowd up, alright? It looks like you didn't bring a date like I told you to, anyways. A damn shame, since the woman on your shoulder is usually the best part of your show." Varys pulls away and tosses his hair behind his head with a sigh. Yes he'd scammed Niv, but he had a feeling that the old fart was more angry about Varys sleeping with the woman who Niv had been convinced was interested in him that night. "Yes, well I didn't want to subject any woman to some old horndog trying to grope them behind my back all night. Enjoy the ball, Niv. I'm sure you can at least buy a wench with the money you'll make tonight."

Varys scowled as he descended the stairs into the the main area of the ballroom. He was never good in crowds, not usually at least. He didn't have a choice this time though; He needed these people to leave here amazed, or by the end of the night his head was going to be on a pike. Straightening his suit, and straightening his posture, he puts on a smile and waves to those who spot him as he emerges into the crowd. Word had spread of his upcoming performance to come later in the night; a thrilling spectacular from one of the most powerful mages to ever come from Falwood: Varys San' Seya!

That would be all well and good, if that was actually who he was.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Gracia von Stehlen
After spending roughly a month in Alliria sauntering about the marketplace and welcoming herself among the Merchant Council meetings, Gracia finally decided it was time to make her way back to Elbion where her home lie. The journey would be long and camping on road wasn't much comfort to her. Never having been to Oban before, Gracia saw opportunity for a warm bed and fresh meals as well as an excuse to stray from regular duties for a while longer.

Upon gracing Oban, Gracia met up with a friend of the von Stehlen family, a man named Gaston who specialized in organizing gatherings and sending invitations. He was useful in situations when Gracia needed an in to something relating to business. Three days after staying in Oban, Gaston invited her to a party among the inner circle of citizens.

The room was extravagant. The flames from the chandelier cast a glimmering light on the golden gown cloaking Gracia's body. A gentle red gem hung around her neck, a mirror of the light.

"There's supposed to be some sort of performance tonight," Gaston told her, fingers wrapping around a thin glass of champagne brought around on a tray by one of the servants.

"So I've heard," Gracia said, following suit and taking her own glass.

The two of them found space in the center of the room, turning their attention to the elevated platform at the front of the hall.

• Yay
Reactions: Leonora of Mirapol
Varys had managed to push, schmooze, or otherwise talk his way through most of the crowd, prodding questions about his identity, what he planned to do, and how much he could be purchased for got quite old and tiresome after the first dozen or so. It was all the same to him; The more attention he had, the more money he'd make. So what if he wasn't exactly who he was purported to be? He might not be as powerful as his late father, but he was still a prodigious mage.

He'd feel a lot better if he was here by choice, but that was besides the point

He'd introduced himself to most of the patrons by this point, but it never hurt to give the room a final sweep. The oddly pale golden color of his eyes seemed to glimmer as he scanned the room. He'd spoken to the Aberforths, the Sifes, and even what few Beauforts had attended. He'd made extra sure to be kind to the royal family.

Who was that green-eyed woman in golden dress representing? He'd never seen her in Oban before, though he was aware of Gaston, the well-to-do looking fellow at her side. Strange, he could have swore the date Gaston had brought to the last party had been much less easy on the eyes. Perhaps he'd seen fit to upgrade? It certainly wasn't an uncommon trend among the wealthy. The human beside him was eyeing the platform where he would be performing with a steady gaze, her lips lingering on the edge of her glass.

She was an unknown, and that set Varys' paranoia off the charts.

"Excuse me, Miss." He began as he lightly pushed his way through the crowd. Varys was far from a rich man, but he knew how to speak like one, when the situation called for. If he could keep his tongue in check, he passed for a rather noble sounding elf. He stood before her, offering a small bow of his head, his hair falling over one of his shoulders. "I don't believe we've met. My name is Varys San'Seya, and I'll be performing for you tonight. Are you new to Oban?" He turned his head to look at Gaston, an eyebrow raised in mild curiosity. He didn't like the fellow much, but he also wasn't about to let a personal dislike ruin his business. "Gaston didn't mention he was bringing somebody tonight..."

Gracia von Stehlen

»Serge, I will not be needing your service here, doubtful I'll return in soon either.«
»Yes, Archmage.«
»You know how it is, with the high life and the endless dribble of gossiping ladies, you wouldn't enjoy it either way,«
»Yes...Archmage.«
»Regardless, I will see you later when I need you. «

The extravagantly dressed sorceress, as the fashion of Mirapol, a polis as far from Elbion as Oban, dictated, was quite an eyecatcher. From the veils to the horns to the revealing bust. She was quite the woman of a higher status, like plenty else about.
Her eyes meandered from one group of people to another, before setting on a fashion sense more familiar from a land she's had dealings with before. The monotone gold and black of Strojland.
The sorceress furrowed her brow, but made no attempt in changing her course, she was curious to meet new people, especially after, between the cacophony of gossip, heard the esteemed 'Varys San'Seya', whose show was to be seen was within range.
It was plastered all over the town!
She wanted to know just how powerful he was, thus she walked over, to see if there was space for introduction.

The night's main attraction had approached her, silver hair glistening in the lamplight. Curious about her unplanned appearance, he resonated an air of integrity and grace. Gracia gave a slight bow of her head, unsure of Oban's cultural behaviors of respect.

"You would be correct in assuming that I am new to Oban," she said, "This is my first time traveling to the city. The opportunity just arose."

Gaston pressed to her side, hard face gleaming with pride. Gracia was unaware that she was being used as a date, she was under the impression that she was being shown around the city as a guest. How naive of her to think she could loosen her stature. Gaston must have thought he had more leverage in her family's priorities than he did. He could be replaced, though he didn't need to know that quite yet.

"I figured I'd allow myself to enjoy the offerings of this city while I have the time," Gracia brushed her hair behind her shoulder, "I look forward to your performance."

The elf offers Gaston a smile that was about as sincere as an orc promising not to hit you too hard. It wasn't the first time he'd used the word 'date' in a rather creative sense. Varys was at least willing to be frank with the fact he'd come alone. Perhaps it was those thoughts that allowed a little bit of Varys' true natures to show themselves then, as he flipped his hair and brought his arms over his chest with a smirk. "If you can get past the misogyny and the megalomaniacs, it's a beautiful city." He raised a fist and cleared his through none-too-subtly. "My apologies ma'am. I don't mind my words at times."

He offers her another deep bow. "I will do my best to entertain you, Miss. Please enjoy yourself."

The time for the main-event was nearing and Varys was to head for the platform quickly, lest he face the wrath of the robed and wealthy. He'd thought he had more time, but it seemed as though pushing his way through the crowd and speaking to the human Gaston had brought burned through time faster than he'd expected. He once again makes his way through the party-goers, eager to perform and be done with this place for good.

He didn't even notice the woman he'd bumped into until she was falling over. "Oh, Shi-ya!" With reflexes expected of one who worked with explosives, he ducked down and caught her in his slender arms before she landed, pulling her quickly back to her feet and moving his hands to her arms. A short sigh leaves his lips. "My most sincere apologies, Miss. I was in a rush..." If he'd thought the others were dressed oddly, this one stood out like a sore thumb even by those standards. He'd never seen anything like the garb she had on. At the very least, she didn't look wounded from the fall. "I didn't hurt you, did I? I was just on my way to perform."

Gracia von Stehlen Leonora of Mirapol

Whoops,
She didn't expect to quite literally land in the arms of the esteemed entertaining magician of the night.
Back upright, she refitted her dress from the slip, including the slightly misaligned veil atop her head by tucking in any stray hairs of hers.
»Sir San' Seya! Well, I had questions, but I suppose that can wait after your long-awaited performance, « The archmage seemed confident, and not at all distraught after the weirdly fated collision.