Private Tales To Face The Statues

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Patience was a virtue that the unseen servant made sentient had in infinite supply. Other mages had attempted to do what he had applied himself to perform, yet simply did not have the three day and night endurance to scribe what he was one vowel away from finishing now. And of course, the time required to deduce the goings on of what was truly being uttered by the stone faces that marked the opening to the cave. They chanted low and quietly, almost so quietly that the ear could not hear, but it was there. A humming of a single vowel, chanted for exactly an hour, before the next reinforced the incantation. And so it had gone on for years, protecting this place. A cave that protected itself with a field of static light that much like the intonation, could barely be perceived. That while the low tone could be confused for the wind, the bones that littered the passageway could not, and most adventurers thought better than to try their luck or be added to that pile.

And those who did, who grew curious from the stories told by the local village of an interminable treasure within the cave. Some said a abjurer had left their finest artefacts within it. Others said an ancient religion had made their final holy relic's resting place within the cave, to be undisturbed, yet fashioned of one piece of solid gold that would fund five noble's lifestyles for a hundred years.

Sam's body had not moved from underneath the tree that provided shade that had rotated numerous times as he had made his observations, his deductions, his scribing and his notations to the spell. He thought not on what was inside the cave. Indeed, this spell was a treasure all it's own, and much more to his taste. He had listened, paid attention, and made his scholarly pursuits a success. And with this final vowel being uttered and moving onto the first, the pattern recognised by Sam came to the beginning again.

With the mark of a final vowel upon his spellbook, it was done. The secret behind this barrier was written into one wizard's book, to perhaps become academia if he found the right library or coven or perhaps school to provide such knowledge towards.

Thank you, statues,” he said, finally as he got up from his sitting position, where he had resembled a statue himself aside from the occasional noting of a single syllable from his gloved hand. He bowed deeply to the statues, and kept his hand on his hat to prevent it from falling.

Rising, he took the first step in days. There was no ligament to ache, no muscle to relieve of tension, just a body that worked, fair and plain, arcane and mysterious, unlife granted to one who had been a servant to an arch-mage. The robes he wore belonged to his former master, a regal thing full of pockets that still held various components for the wizard practice that Sam had taken up as best he could, from studying for lifetimes of the spells that had been littered around the tower. A tower he had escaped. A world anew from the hermetically sealed place he had called home.

Well, I've been here long enough. Perhaps I should write a sign describing what fate awaits those who try to enter from this spell. A child might wander in. Yes. Yes I think I'll do what whoever made this spell should have done. A warning. Yes.”

Sam adjusted his hat and reached for his heavy pack, a complicated system of storage that contained all manner of wizardly tools and some mundane. With perfect memory he pulled out two small boards of wood, and a hammer, and set to setting up a sign. It was simple enough work, yet Sam found great satisfaction from the meagre construction. He gave a small hum.

What to write, hm. Warning, this lattice of self realising points of power will scorch and burn? No, no that's too complicated. Maybe, no, no no no,” he hummed to himself, crouched by the sign, oblivious to who might approach behind him, so absorbed in his own work. He was a being of infinite patience, and could sometimes find himself locked into obsession over minor details which caused delay to his next moment of initiative.

An hour passed before he pressed his hands into his hips and came across the final decision.

Maybe just, 'each statue means to harm you. Stay away.' Yes. I think that'll do.”

He set to work, painting the words slowly and with all the elegance of a professional sign maker, even if the sign's construction was crude, the words would be bold and cursive.

One had to take pride in the little things, Sam thought to himself.

For all the things that Garrod was. Proud was certainly one of them.

As much as he liked to play it calm and collected. Easy going. The Yaegir had a certain sense of... was flare the right word? Penache?

Whatever it was, when he had stopped by the village of Ituvia and heard the rumor of a cave of wonders. A treasure, vast enough for multiple life times. It set his green eye to glimmer, and his lips to split wide as an axe-head.

The word was greed. Not that he was aware of it. Not fully. For the feeling was something that had wormed its way down into his heart, long ago.

How I love it, when you get this way, a voice that thrummed through his bones seemed to say. Oh Bearer Mine.

Garrod said nothing to his demon. The being that had become his right arm. Instead, he tread quietly through the brush. Nary a sound despite the plate armor donned, and great weapon at his back. With his left hand he reached out, and made clear some young branches, and leaves that obscured his path.

A white brow raised above his green eye. "Statues," he said beneath his breath. His eye traced toward the cave, flicked back to the one that was- "In robes?" he hunkered down, and watched it for some time. Saw that it was... painting, it looked like it was painting at least. A low hum of thought.

It had all the makings of a trap.

But why the painting?

Out from the foiliage he went, with a rustle and a scrap, and a snapping of twigs.

"Hey," he all but barked. "What's with the painting?" he asked with a grumble. But really, he was just curious.

Belephus, that demon of his, laughed with a little titter in the darkness of his mind.

The painting was finished with luxurious pace as Garrod made his inquiry known. Sam, brush in hand, took a step away from sign and gestured faintly at it with the other. Two pinpricks of white light for eyes did blink thrice as if summoning will for words.

Their words lilted and softly ran through the air as fingers passing through wheat might drift and sway.

"Painting cautions for newcomers such as yourself, these statues be dangerous in nature. They can't help it though. It's just the way they are."

They diligently placed brush back into case, and paint into backback, lumbering such a heavy thing without a trace of sweat nor hint of toil.

"Does the statue song bring you here? It is a recumbent thing. Or perhaps, you're..." Sam said, trailing off. A glove went to collar, as if clutching at invisible pearls.

"Oh dear. The statues won't take kindly if so..." Sam said matter of factly.

"Cautions?" he looked to the other statues... the true statues, then back to the painter. Squint, as lip quirked and head tilted. "What do you mean, statue song?" he asked, and shift his weight to his back foot. All too aware of the weight of kit and tools.

His eye looked around once more. Everything seemed fine. Until he saw it. Like a film, or slurry. Thinned by too much water. Made the edges fuzzy. Warped.

"Are the statues alive?" he asked. Looking to see if he could make sense of the caution that had been painted.

The caution made no effort to explain the nature of the statues, merely:

Each statue means to harm you. Stay away!

"The first question I might answer. The second, well. I'm no philosopher. The statues issue syllables of protective magicks. It's difficult to hear at first. But if you focus, you might hear it too. Right now it is on the third syllable of one hundred and fifty two. Each takes an hour to utter. I can show you how it works if you like. I scribed the nature of the defences so in a book. Quite fascinating really."

Sam left the second question firmly alone, for they felt grossly inadequate to provide answers of such existential enormities. Such concerned not only that of the stone faces, but of Sam's own.

The Yaegir recoiled. Eye wide. "One hundred and fifty two?" he repeated. Growled in the back of his throat as brow scrunched and head cut toward the nearest statue. "That would mean the cycle takes one hundred and fifty two hours to complete," he worked through what had been given.

Huffed and drew in another breath. Half his mind wanting nothing more than to smash the blasted things.

But by the sound of it, that wouldn't end well.

Thinking of sound, he could hear the low tone then. A drone, like the smallest pair of bug wings that come by your ear. Just before a sting.

"Well," another shift of his weight, and a jut of his chin. "Show me this book of yours," he stated flatly.

No thought of asking for the reason for the curiosity. Ulterior motives were still new to Sam, as was the concept that not everyone pursued knowledge to appeal an endless curiosity without goal. To pursue ambition from fate's lockjaw, this line of behaviour had not been indulged so much. Sam's world was one of infinite well wishers and benevolent, well meaning questions.

Sam retrieved a simple book from the backpack, their movements careful about the storage as they set it on the ground to sift through. Each item placed within perfectly, ergonomically.

The book itself was opened to near the start. Naked leaves of paper were abundant beyond the scribed details of statue spell, the latest addition.

Sam turned the spellbook towards Garrod so they might read it.

There were three ways to describe the content showed, spanning near twenty pages.

Utterly comprehensive. Utterly exhaustive. And to one not versed in several academic subfields of energy magics, might seem utterly impenetrable at first.

The swathes of geometric shapes with singular vowels for Cartesian points were artistic in a borrowed hand, flourishing loops and slides of ink for dots above the i's. A style emulated from Sam's former master, who had them toil as scribes more often than not.

But lurking within the borders were several helpful annotations. Helpful, that is, if one were to scour the tight clusters of near unreadable text for elucidation.

"This book is for my eyes, so you may need this," Sam said, and produced from satchel a magnifying glass and held it out helpfully.

"Drakon's teeth," Garrod gasped as his eye scrawled about the patterns and scribe work.

He knew a bit about more formal magical studies, more as he had come to spend more and more time with Lechies, but, nothing so comprehensive as this.

"This looks like a proper relic in its own right," he said with a laugh, and seemed to get sucked in to the scrawl, his eye poured over the lines, and took note of each neat dot that marked the lettering that all looked more like a brick of ink than any legible phrasing.

Something stuck out towards him, and he jerked back blinked as his eye came to focus on the magnifying glass. He squint. Nod.
"Thanks," he took up the tool offered, and set it unto the page. Adjusted for proper sighting. Paused. His eye widened as he saw just how much had been wound into the scrawl.

"Well, I'll be," he said, full impressed.

Through magnification yielded by glass, the minuscule annotations provided far more accessible information, pertaining to the nature of the statues that uttered the drawn out vowels. Each statue, numbered twenty in total, held the capacity of producing great gout of mana fire from their mouths if the perimeter be breached. Their vowels did draw in power from the laylines so that they might have response to those who crossed. Their eyes but ornamental trappings of faces, their mouthpieces for issuing such vowels and belching forth in unison a chorus of death. Their ears did sense much however, sensing the footfall through eardrum that were connected to the ground so that intruders might be felt more than seen.

Flight or levitation, the annotations revealed, as well as generous silence, were to be the best and perhaps the intended way to circumventing a grisly end should one wish to pass the statues. Another solution was detailed, silence the mouths through symmetrical mana tone cancellation. This solution, Sam details as impractical, and the very reason there are twenty statues to prevent such an approach. One would need twenty mages in flawless execution to perform such a deed.

It was clear that the academic detail in the spell description body was written less of a guide on how to overcome such a thing than to simply marvel at the power draw of the statue array. Only the annotations provided such useful information to Garrod. The geometric detail provided permutations and postulations on how the nature of the statues might be transposed to other devices. It seemed that whoever crafted such a defence had some high mastery of energy redirection and wellsprings, and Sam's writing paid much deference and respect to the nameless individual.

One particular sentence might catch Garrod's attention, the final annotation.

'Alas, I regret not knowing the author and inventor of such an array. Such is a lapse in citation on my part.'

Beyond the two pages open, there were no annotations, being purely focused on the statue mana array, and leaving much space for future writings of a similar size about the borders. The lines were extraordinarily precise and uniform, as if etched with cartographers tools.

Sam remained motionless as they looked to the statues as Garrod studied.

"You flatter me," Sam eventually said quietly, unsure on how to take the observation that their work might be considered a relic, more remarking at novelty of the occurrence of a compliment than to offer gratitude for it.

Garrod Arlette