Private Tales Through the Mists

• Loot Runners

Get ready for the rush! Click here for more information. This quick-write dungeon run will be coming on Friday the 13th. Join up in #roles on discord and find a partner!

Keyleth

Aegis of Minaris
Character Biography
Link
Keyleth paused at the edge of the water, looking down at the waves as they lapped against her boots. Somewhere on the other side of that sea, there were waves crashing against the rocky coastline if her home. She closed her eyes, picturing the view of the harbor and then she exhaled a soft breath. If she wanted to see Minaris again, she was going to need more than just the Barbarian's help. She was not so vain as to ignore that simple fact. Keyleth was a pragmatic woman, after all.

Her pale eyes opened and she raised her chin, looking over her shoulder to meet Thren's gaze.

The two of them had a peculiar bond to one another; one that she could not quite explain or define. She enjoyed the mystique of it all. And she found herself wanting to explore their budding relationship further.

Dying now simply wasn't an option, as far as she was concerned.

"Yes, I do." She answered him calmly, an exhausted smile on her lips.

Honesty was her best course of action. Trying to hide the facts wasn't going to help anyone.

She turned her back on the water to face Thren, loosely gripping the spear in her hand for support. "This poison is killing me, Mainlander. I can barely walk. So... Yes. I need your help."

Reactions: Thren

Thren

Hard Headed
Character Biography
Link
He considered for a moment. Perhaps naively he had thought the poison was through with her, worked through her system or run its course enough that it would no longer be an issue. Briefly he wondered why he'd assumed such things.

It seemed foolish now. "I see."

Thren spoke calmly, glancing at her for a moment and letting his eyes roam her body. The gaze was not lecherous, not at all in fact. It was measuring more than anything else. He was trying to assess how much longer she would live, how much longer she could push herself beyond all of this.

Not far if she was to be believed.

Would he be on his own in the wilds? Just he and Larik. It would not be the first time, though the prospect was not one that pleased him in the slightest. Surviving was always easier with others.

"I know little of medicine." He told her, stepping slowly to move directly in front of her. "Less of consoling the dying."

Perhaps it sounded harsh, but as always Thren simply spoke the truth.

Reactions: Keyleth

Keyleth

Aegis of Minaris
Character Biography
Link
Keyleth held his gaze intently, her expression unreadable. The sea breeze picked up lightly playing with the ends of her hair, causing them to dance around her face. Behind her, the waves quietly crashed upon the white sand -- which was a vivid contrast to the dark sands of Minaris. She should have been terrified, standing here on death's door so far away from home, but instead she was filled with an profound calm and gritty determination.

"Good thing I am not asking for a beside nanny then." She replied to him in an almost serene voice. Perhaps the toxins were going to her head, but she felt incredibly composed.

She took a single step towards him, raising her chin a hair's breadth to meet his stark gaze.

"I gathered the regents that I'll need to concoct a remedy. Or at the very least, something that will stave off the worst of the poison. That said, I'm going to be in a compromised physical state while I recover." She told him matter-of-factly.

Reactions: Kellen

Thren

Hard Headed
Character Biography
Link
He nodded. "We will have to stay on the ship then."

It would be for the best.

Thren could likely carry Keyleth for miles on end, hell he could even make her lighter and do so more easily, but if she was going to be useless...it was best not to move. These jungles were dangerous, not just because of the lack of civilizations.

Monsters roamed these woods, and although he hated to use the term, it was the most accurate. Harpies, Hydra's, dozens of others that would happily cut them down and gobble them up in half a second.

"How long?" He asked. "Days?"

The longer they stayed, the more likely it was something would come for them.

Keyleth

Aegis of Minaris
Character Biography
Link
"Tonight and tomorrow. After that... I should be fit to move." She said with a single nod.

Staying put for any length of time was dangerous and she knew that they needed to start their journey as quickly as they could. Not to mention the fact that she wanted to put as much distance between them and the cursed ship as soon as possible.

Thren

Hard Headed
Character Biography
Link
Two days.

Not too bad really, all things considered. It was better than a week, certainly better than a month. Still, dangerous.

They had to do this carefully.

The creatures of the Wilds were not like other animals. Whereas a pack of wolves would shy away from a pack of men, the monsters who lived within the wilds would not avoid something as paltry as a ship. They would investigate.

Then they would hunt. "Alright."

Thren agreed quietly.

Keyleth

Aegis of Minaris
Character Biography
Link
With a single nod, Keyleth turned away from Thren and started to wade her way through the gently crashing waves of the tide. The current was not particularly strong here on the rather peaceful beach where they'd washed ashore, which meant that she could make her way forward with relative ease. By the time the water reached her waist, however, it was far easier for her to swim than to walk.

Climbing up the rope ladder to the ship's deck was another matter altogether. Trying to haul herself up while wearing soaked clothes would have been impossible. Unfortunately for Thren, that meant she needed his help to reach the relative safety of the deck.

"Could I bother you for a lift?" She asked him with a slight smile.

Thren

Hard Headed
Character Biography
Link
Thren pursed his lips, then nodded.

He supposed whatever made all of this easier for her would be better. The less she was strained now the faster they would be able to actually get her healed and get out of here. Of course, that was only if nothing came along and decided to ruin those plans entirely. A distinct possibility.

Monsters didn't particularly care about what you wanted. "Getting on the boat will be hard."

The Barbarian joked with a smirk.

In truth be could likely throw Keyleth over his shoulder and climb the rope, but a little levity was required in a situation like this. Keyleth was on deaths door, they had limited supplies, and all they had going for them was a single ship likely filled with ghosts.

A joke went a far way.

Slowly Thren leaned down and scooped her up, hefting her weight and carrying her towards the ship.

Keyleth

Aegis of Minaris
Character Biography
Link
Keyleth took a sharp breath as the barbarian lifted her up. He was rather gentle with her, but that could only do so much to stave off the discomfort of her injuries. Her head came to rest against his shoulder as he carried her through the water, focusing on keeping her breathing steady.

For their short journey back onto the deck of the ship, the duchess didn't utter a word -- allowing herself a short break to gather the tattered remnants of her strength.

Once they were safely on the deck, she asked Thren to take her to the captain's cabin at the back of the ship. It was one of the only rooms on the ship that she knew wouldn't be filled with blood or the dead. Staying on the vessel for long was just asking for infection or disease to set in. The stench of death would likely attract beasts from the jungles seeking an easy meal.

It was dangerous to linger there.

After Thren deposited her onto the bed, she pulled the small satchel free and dumped the contents onto the blanket in front of her. She neatly arranged each specimen and offered Thren a brown mushroom cap that was as large as the barbarian's palm with a subtle smile.

"Here... you should eat something. I found some of these while I was foraging." She said, her voice warm.

Standing up from the bed, she started to rummage through the cabinets and drawers that were scattered throughout the cabin. It took her a few minutes, but she eventually found a wooden bowl that she could use to crush up the ingredients.

• Cheer
Reactions: Thren

Thren

Hard Headed
Character Biography
Link
"Ah. Mushrooms." Thren said as he made a face.

The Barbarian had never particularly enjoyed eating fungus. His people were of the nomadic sort, and thus they were introduced to a variety of different foods. Mushrooms had always been among the food groups he'd particularly disdained.

Mostly it was because of a pass through Belgrath, the great dwarven city. Most people assumed the Dwarves just ate meat and ale, but what they missed were the great mushroom farms that the bastards practically boasted of.

It was an...unpleasant week.

The siege hadn't helped of course, but hey.

"We'll need to find some meat." He grumbled. "Even if it's hard tack."

Keyleth

Aegis of Minaris
Character Biography
Link
She managed a small smirk at the barbarian's clear disdain for the mushroom. It made her think of her daughter, Aviana. The girl hated mushrooms as well. When Avi was little, she used to sneak the despised bits of fungus under the table to the waiting jowls of one of her father's hunting dogs. Keyleth had never been able to properly scold her daughter when she caught her in the act, it had always made her laugh instead.

Shaking her head, Keyleth returned her attention to the present, watching the regents she'd spent hours collecting slow grind away into a rather unappealing green paste.

"There's likely something down in the galley that's been salted for preservation. If you wanted to go check and see if you can find any?" She offered, glancing up from her work.

• Cheer
Reactions: Kasim Areth

Thren

Hard Headed
Character Biography
Link
"Perhaps later." When there was less death in the air.

The Siruk were never a particularly superstitious people, but food next to the dead? That invited more than just bad luck. Maggots, flies, and every other insect that could be imagined would already have taken root within the holds.

He was not eager for the smell either.

"When we set out I'll hunt." He told Keyleth. "Fishing is a tad more...dangerous."

On this coast anyway. "Could be worse though."

Thren commented, more to himself than Keyleth.

Keyleth

Aegis of Minaris
Character Biography
Link
She took a breath and then gathered some of the salve on her fingers, smearing it over the infected wounds on her side and shoulder. After that, she wrapped the remaining medicine in folded leaves. It would last her a few more days once they started to travel.

With a quiet moan, she leaned into cushion behind her, letting the medicine slowly run its course.

"We'll leave in the morning... I'll be able to walk by then if this works. If it doesn't... I'll probably be dead when the sun rises." She growled through grit teeth.

The woman closed her eyes and she slowly drifted to sleep.