Open Chronicles Through the golden ages to a bright present and future

A roleplay open for anyone to join
“Thank you very kindly, Ms. Hope” Harun replied, with a polite smile of his own that grew wider at her response to his question. Liberty’s words confirmed that she too was a writer, and her tone confirmed a shared love of literature that was always a delight for the old retired scribe to see; one that was shared with The White Swallow. The addition of another was a welcome blessing, and Harun wondered about what stories she may have authored.

“Poet perhaps, I’m no author myself. But I am an avid reader and adore written adventure.” He responded mirthfully. Hardly an adventurer either, Harun did love losing himself in stories about it. A book could take him on a vivid adventure, and from the safety of his reading nook to boot.

“And I would love to read something you’d care to share.” He added, hopeful and a touch excited as she flipped through her books, patiently awaiting her selection.

"Oh, I didn't know that I could share my works with the library," she said still looking into her bag, taking out a thin red book, and immediately pushing it back into her bag,
"I actually came to do some research. I am writing a story that takes place in various regions of Amol-Kalit."
She next took out a thin brown book, pulling it out with glee,"This is the eight book I wrote. It's in the common tongue, so I hope reading it won't be a problem for you."

She handed the book to Harun, adjusting her own glasses at the same time, "It's about a hunter following a wounded beast deep into the mountains and then coming across a forgotten city in the underground," her eyes were positively sparkling with excitement.

Liberty remarked about submitting works to the library, a matter soon addressed by The White Swallow. Harun would leave him to it, though he knew her notion was far from out of place. Perhaps, he hoped, her literature might find a home within these halls as well.

“Oh, not at all. I'm a scribe by trade, literacy is both my trade and pleasure.“ He replied. That he had a greater selection of material to read was a beloved benefit.

“And that's interesting premise; another entirely different world to discover?” Harun asked, intrigued at her description. Her summary told him that the book aimed to deliver exactly what he loved about literature so.

Upon the answer to his question, he'd not hesitate to eagerly open the book and read the story within.

[The trap was thoroughly smashed. The panther must have climbed out of the trap somehow. But Franklin breathed out, the trail of blood it had left behind was noticeable. Wounded it can't have gotten far and lacking its strength from such bloodloss it might even be easy to deal with if he saw it face to face. But the direction it went was strange, higher up, higher and higher, deeper into the mountain...]

Liberty turned to the White Swallow.

"Oh, where I acquired this idea? I grew up well off, but spend summers at my grandparent's in the countryside, there was always this legend. About an evil white witch who lived in the faraway mountains. And on special nights," her voice went low, "she'd fly down them and at night go to. Every. House. In the world," talking slowly, she had a grin on her face, "and the moment she saw a child who hadn't brushed their teeth, folded their clothes, and left no sprig of birch on the windowsill," she motioned with her hands wildly, "she'd grab the child right up! And take them away to her mountains!"

[...he hurried, whatever had done that panther in must have been twice its size. Franklin wasn't prepared to deal with something like that, he had to find a spot where he could safely hide. A crevice? Just barely big enough for him, but surely not big enough for the thing that left the giant bite mark on its body. It might not be the best, but it will do for now...]

Liberty adjusted her glasses after that wild movement, "Now do we know what happens to the children that are taken? Well, there is this one story of a child name Pepnik. The witch had taken him, and but she'd also taken some other children. She had put them all to work, except for on that she feasted on that night, and once morning came she went to sleep."

[...That fall had definitely broken his leg. Franklin stared at his lamp, just on the edge of the cliff he fell from. Was this how the panther had felt when it fell into his trap? Breaking a leg, being stuck there, until it was picked up by an even greater beast? He wouldn't be able to climb back up to get his lamp. And this cavern was dark, slippery, but at least the light was still burning, so far away, but close enough for him to treat his leg wound...]

"Now, Pepnik, was a smartass. He had seen what kind of spell the witch put on the door out of her hut in the big book. He just needed the days to sneak away all the ingredients to undo it," Libby closed her eyes and put her fingers to her chin, "he had some excuses every night as to why it shouldn't be his turn to get eaten, but I don't remember what they were," she quickly clapped, "Point is! He managed to be the last child. And once morning came and the witch was fast asleep, he took all the ingredients he had hidden from the soot basket and started preparing the spell, but, because he didn't remove all of the ash that was on them, the spell went wrong..."

[...the lamp had burned out who knows how long ago, but something was strange. Franklin's leg after his recent sleep had stopped hurting. And some blue glow was on it. Like drops, leading a way for him. He stood up after what felt like a long while. Closely he followed the faint blue glow, somehow never slipping or missing a step. Sooner or later he had found himself in front of a weird formation illuminated in blue moss. He rubbed it off, this wasn't a simple cave wall, this was carved stone. Intricate and not shallow at all. He rubbed off more of the moss, what he was standing in front, was an entrance...]

"He had been teleported to an entrance. Ancient and mighty, of a kingdom long gone, banished to the underground. His adventures and way out of it was what inspired the underground city," she leaned back stretching her hands, "of course Pepnik does not exist and is just a folk legend," she then picked up the nearby cat and put it on her lap victoriously, "But! I had a friend who thought he could do well in the mountains! He ended up stuck in a cave not even that far from the opening for a week with a broken leg!" somehow the cat was content, purring steadily at her patting, "He ended up eating some mushrooms he shouldn't have and well, my talk with him inspired me enough to write this story."

As the cat was moved by Liberty, with a swift swoop of his arms, the book that previously lay beneath it was now secured in his grip. Still, he held it with all respect that was deserved to it.
Yes, finally, he thought to himself before eyeing the two as Liberty finished explaining the inspiration after her work.

»I suspect your work is popular with the younger audience?«

He slid the piece of parchment from the scrapbook. This piece of paper had unlimited potential, however, he had to finish his work from before first. The calligram of the 'bleeding fruit of paradise' was taxing indeed, so he returned to devise its completion as the others discussed.
He would listen patiently.

Once the book had been placed within his hands, he promptly opened it. He began to read the text written within the pages, his eyes quietly scanning over the paper as The White Swallow and Liberty discussed her source of inspiration for the story. Harun took brief occasional pause while reading to listen in, absorbing both the material on the page and the background behind it that Liberty happily regaled them with.

It was a story about another hunter, who was tracking his once-captive quarry. It was now perhaps the meal of an even greater beast, the ferocity of which was well hinted at by the described signs of struggle and combat. Yet, as dangerous at it had been described, it would be a long plummet that inflicted injury upon the pursuing hunter. From the predator to the prey did the untimely injury transform him. Perhaps influenced by the last story he read, Harun braced himself to read of the hunter’s expected demise.

But that was not how the story ended, as makeshift medicine could be found in the form of glowing blue moss. Which left him well enough to travel, but rather than a giant predator he would encounter what looked to be a lost and ancient structure. A temple perhaps? A palace from a long lost society? Harun remained ever curious, his mind imagining the many possibilities that might develop.

"…though he ended up eating some mushrooms he shouldn’t have…" Harun overheard Liberty speak. Perhaps it caused him to see a temple that was not truly there? Not quite the fantastical outcome the story had told him, the realities of day-to-day life were ever more dull than the fictitious written accounts.

By the time he was done reading, Liberty had the cat in her lap, having just scooped it up. Harun looked from the cat to the book, and then to the cat again. Finally, the feline that had obstructed The White Swallow was out of the way, and as expected, he retrieved the book that had been the focus of his attention thus far.

»I suspect your work is popular with the younger audience?« spoke The White Swallow.

“I would imagine so. I don’t doubt my grandchildren would enjoy the story. I certainly loved reading it.” Harun remarked with a warm smile, before placing the book down on the table in front of him.

White Swallow Liberty TS Hope

"You could say that..." Liberty looked at her bag with a hard to pin down expression, "But my best-selling books... they're better suited for a mature audience."

She opened her bag, and searched through it, "But! If it's a book for your grandchildren, what age are they?" one has to wonder how many books are in that bag, "What gender? I might have something I could gift to you, for them." she took out four books, is the bag perhaps enchanted just to hold as many books as possible.

She looked over to the Swallow, "Oh what an intricate drawing! You are quite skilled."

Harun Ahidjar White Swallow

He rose his head, looking over at the two, especially Liberty when she mentioned his drawing.
"No, it's the poem...written in the shape of a pomegranate tree."

His eyes briefly motioned over to Harun as the writer started peddling her literature.
One should always seek out the Jaleyaanan scribes to get one's work copies and shared.

Harun Ahidjar Liberty TS Hope

Last edited:
  • Cthuloo
Reactions: Harun Ahidjar
“Ah, those stories.” Harun remarked jovially. He hadn’t ready any in decades, but such tales had been told for ages, and there was no chance that demand for the genre would ever die out. Having been so long, it was entirely unlikely that he’d read something Liberty had wrote. Still, Harun knew it was a lucrative subject to write, and he knew more than one of the other scribes who’d eked out additional coin by writing books towards that market.

"But! If it's a book for your grandchildren, what age are they?" Liberty asked, and Harun paused with another warm smile.

“Oh, the oldest ones are ten, nine, eight – though I’ve four more younger ones beneath the age of six.”
Harun remarked with a smile. One of the blessings of life to see his children do well.

Noting the White Swallow’s gesture, Harun turned to him, too. The poem did have a nice layout, Harun had to agree.

White Swallow Liberty TS Hope

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Liberty TS Hope
Liberty picked up two books from the four she took out and handed them to Harun, "Eight to ten, I'd say they would enjoy these two books of mine," they had a decent heft to them, "Something for boys, and something for girls!"

The titles of those two books were; »Hemlock and water«, a quick glance at the contents revealed that it was about a girl finding out that her memories were altered by a fay; »Dragonic Egg«, a quick glance at the contents revealed that it was about a boy finding out he had a mental link with a dragon in a mystical egg.

"Oh! So this is, what was it called," she snapped her fingers, "a special sort of calligraphy! Far more beautifull than what I imagined when I first read descriptions of them," and she turned back to Harun, "Oh and for the littlest ones, they probably wouldn't be able to read a book all on their own," she looked back deep into her bag of endless books, "but I have dabbled in illustrated books, something that even the worst reader could understand, a cute little children's story."

She took out a small thin book, and handed it over to Harun.

Last edited:
It is finished...
The White Swallow leaned back, righting his back vertically once more.
Now he had a much clearer view of the books being offered to Harun. In truth, it's only been less than a decade ago that he'd had any interest in such literature.
Turning to the scrapbook, he discretely opened the piece, checking if his work may even fit inside.
He decided that no, it was not of the quality demanded by it.

“Oh, those look well suited to the young readers.” He remarked, enthralled at the cover art of the sizable books that Liberty pulled from her large book bag that clearly contained many more. A new book was a wonderful thing, and Harun was happy to savour the two Liberty had for his grandchildren. He flipped the pages once he’d been handed them, one was of faeries and the mischief they’re known for while another protagonist had a link with a dragon. Fantastical, yet very real seeming adventures that could inspire wonder of the world around them in a young reader’s mind.

“Did you do the artwork? It looks splendid.” Harun gushed, wearing a happy smile with the book in his hand. Something like this was just the thing for the young ones, and he could warmly remember those very first books he’d been given that helped him learn to read. Those were his grandchildren’s books now, and he felt most fortunate to have more to add to their collections once he’d returned to his family in Maraan.

“Another for the collection?” He politely inquired of the White Swallow, unaware of his silent rejection of the work.

Liberty TS Hope White Swallow

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Liberty TS Hope
"The artwork was done by a dear friend of mine! Her craft is embroidery, but the sketches she does for them are so quaint, I had to get her to illustrate this book. Her work is honestly what inspired me to write this story in the first place!" she smiled at Harun.

• Cthuulove
“She does create imagery so fascinating, that it could inspire a story to go with it.” Harun remarked with a continued smile, taking another look at the artwork on the cover of the book in his hand. There was plenty to intrigue, the artwork was soft but the character was vivid. Her expression and pose before the background was an introduction without words. To the young reader, it was surely a welcome invitation to open the book and explore the story depicted.

“Surely, were there not a story to go with it, I'd wish there was.” Harun warmly said, looking up from the book to liberty.

“Again, thank you. I wish I could share their smiles with you when I return with their gifts.” He added, clasping the book in his hands.

"I'm not sure how much longer I will stay in this region for. I still have some more places to visit for my next book before I need to return home."

Liberty put her face close to the still purring cat on her lap, who for some reason at that gesture hissed and with a claw knocked off her glasses and stepped off her.

She adjusted her glasses again, "But I don't want to spend our whole meeting talking just about my own works, how about you two tell me of your works?"

“Ah, likewise. I am retired and travelling, seeing sights I'd only read about before.” Harun replied. The freedom had been nice, and only in these later years could he afford to take the time to see sights beyond Maraan. He was grateful that he had. As much as he enjoyed reading about them, it was nothing compared to actually visiting the locales of interest. The library of Sey'kube was a true wonder to be experienced.

“So then, reading has inspired me to travel, and travel shall inspire you to write. A cycle complete.” Harun added with a warm smile, growing a touch concerned when Liberty lowered her face to the purring feline.

“I wo-” He began, but the cat was quick and swiped at Liberty before Harun could do much about it. At least she had eye-wear for protection, she seemed unharmed.

“Well, I'm a scribe by trade. Often copying texts, but poetry, too – both commissioned and personal.”
Harun replied, happily sharing his background with her before taking another sip of his tea.

»I do not write stories, nor poems, « quietly but casually, the White Swallow shared. True or false, he was currently working on a different art. And he moved his head not from it.
It appeared to be nearing completion. »Calling it a scrapbook would be offensive, « he murmured. » But I am compiling copies of poems for this work, to gift to the Dai. Illustrations I may need to have magically copies.... «

Harun Ahidjar Liberty TS Hope

• Cthuloo