Private Tales There's Daggers In Smiles

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Elise sighed, staring at the boy flatly. "Well I don't know how to turn myself invisible, so really you've already started this conversation off by lying."

The truth was even if this boy was more open about his talent she very likely could not have used the magic. She had no talent in the Disciplines most often used by the Dreadlord's. The only magic that she could use came from her Family, the Well that she was given access to.

Blood magic.

"Let's try not to do that, shall we?" The Baroness mused. "Otherwise this experience will become quite...uncomfortable."

She frowned as she leaned back in the chair.

• Yay
Reactions: Takama
Caught out, the apprentice froze, mouth still half open. He whimpered a little but Elise made no move from her chair. "I wasn't-I mean I didn't mean to milady" he said, stumbling over his words. The blonde woman was still calm but there was a slight frown on her face now.

"No milady. of course not" he would have promised her the stars if she asked. "It's...not quite invisibility milady, it's more like...a trick of the light?"

• Yay
Reactions: Elise Virak
Ah, excellent. He wasn't stupid enough to conceal things from her.

She'd rather not use her powers again this soon, if only because the odd pleasure-pain from her bruises would become naught but pain at that point. An experience she did not look forward to. "Tell me."

Her lips twerked in a smile.

"A trick how?" Oddly enough she had heard something like this before, in one of the books of her fathers library. There hadn't been much detail, simply a story told of a man who had...bent light around himself. The effect had been strange, though not described as invisibility.

Though she supposed this hadn't been either. After all the Baroness herself had managed to see them move.

• Yay
The boy seemed desperate to please now. Words spilt out of him now, he was tripping over himself to get his point across. Anything to avoid the unknowable torments. "Well you saw me? A shimmer in the air? People can see me if they look close enough. Especially if I move".

His hands came forward to aid his description but the chains jerked them up short. "I use an aura around me to bend the light, to move it around me. Most people won't even notice, it just looks like there's something off about it. You have to be attentive or sharp-eyed to notice it".

• Yay
The trick was much the same as had been described in the book, though it had never exactly been detailed. A frown touched her lips for a moment, and Elise glanced up at Takama for a moment. She didn't say anything, but there was clearly a question in her eyes.

Had the woman ever heard of anything like this?

It made sense that something like it would be invented, perhaps even created...but the fact that it came from some little whelp was more than a little surprising. "How did you learn this?"

Her one concern was that it had come from another Dreadlord, some Master who served another House. Such new would be utterly disastrous, especially given that they would have had to know it enough to teach it to an Apprentice. It would mean they had more capable of doing this trick.

The very idea gave her goosebumps.

• Yay
Takama gave the merest shrug. Now wasn't the time to speak out but she knew Elise would be quick to question her once they'd left the cell. Her next question was blunt, it seemed to surprise the apprentice.

"I didn't" he said, not sure what to say, "I just....do it?"

His answer seemed too vague and he was quick to qualify it. "I used to be a street urchin, I was a thief. I needed to hide and it just....happened. It was the first time I realised I could use magic".

He was nervous, worried his answer wasn't enough.

• Yay
A sigh of relief passed from her lips. "I see."

So no one else knew the trick, not anymore anyway. House Hothra had likely seen it as an advantage that they could use, but given their now status as...endangered, it was not something that would quickly spread.

Good.

Keeping something like this to herself could be fortuitous, depending on how she used it anyway. Her lips thinned for just a brief second, and then slowly she leaned forward in her chair.

"What are the limits?" She asked. "Can you cloak a building? An army?"

• Yay
The apprentice's look went from relief at seeing Elise relax in her chair to a rabbit eyeing a predator. "The limits? I-I don't know milady". He seemed a bit frantic to be cornered again, "I've only ever cloaked myself. I can do that for a few hours with some discomfort. It gets harder to concentrate as time goes on. I...I've never tried for anything more".

His fevered smile was strained, "I am-was only an apprentice".

• Yay
"We'll need to change that." She said with a look of consideration, her lips thinning for a moment as she pulled herself up and out of the chair.

He had been cooperative, surprisingly so.

It appeared that loyalty did not go as far as one might have hoped, or he simply didn't want to be tortured. She could sympathize with that feeling, though it was somewhat pathetic. For a moment she simply stood there, taking a deep breath before she motioned to Takama.

"Find him a room somewhere." She whispered to the Dreadlord. "Place guards at his door."

Elise glanced towards the Apprentice. "I need to see the extent this talent can carry."

• Yay
Takama nodded, "I will see to it mistress" she affirmed, snapping her fingers at the guards to release the apprentice. He half fell into their arms as they undid the chains on his wrists, his legs not used to being able to support his body properly again. She gave them their orders before following her out.

"He will be of use once he is rested a bit more" she said, "That is unless you wish to see a demonstration now?"

• Yay
She waved dismissively. "Let him rest."

This was only one of the things she had planned for the day, and the boy had spent the night in the dungeon. She was about to turn to leave when suddenly she stopped.

Her lips thinned, and she turned on the apprentice.

"It goes without saying that if you attempt to leave I will hunt you down and tear the flesh from your bones." Golden eyes fell on the boy. "Piece by piece."

She was quite adept at that.

• Yay
The apprentice was practically being held up by the two guards. They kept him still as Elise turned to him to make her threat. Takama hid a smile at his reaction, the boy looked ready to faint. She gave a wave of dismissal, letting them haul him off.

"The first deed of the day done" she quipped. "It was a profitable night's venture mistress. I wonder what news will come from Vel Anir".

• Yay
She mused on that for a second. No doubt the ruins had been discovered by now, either by an errant farmer or some kind of guard that was loyal to house Hothra. Before long news would reach Vel Anir, and then it would be a short while before someone came to tell her.

"It will be interesting." She said quietly.

There was no telling exactly which way the wind would blow, but she had been careful to plan this in just the right way. As long as her predictions held true...things would go the way she wanted.

"The girl." Elise asked. "You altered her appearance?"

If a messenger did come, she didn't want any risks.

• Yay
Troops would scour the land for at least ten miles or more beyond the ruins. An attack so close to the city was like stirring up an ants nest. Elise seemed little troubled, there was nothing to connect her to the affair. Any spies would find she'd spent the day and night at home on the family estate.

She nodded, "I've dyed her hair, it's in a different cut, and she's in more appropriate clothing. Her mind is fragile but the charms should take place soon enough. Regardless, she'll be kept out of sight if any dignitaries visit. For all intents and purposes, she is dead to the world"

• Yay
"Good." Elise said as she left the small dungeon, her lips thinning as a thousand different thoughts ran through her mind.

There was much planning still to do.

What they had set in motion the night before would no doubt have lasting consequences, but she needed those to fall her way. If all of this was for nothing father would be furious. Her lips thinned at that thought, head shaking as she took a deep breath and refocused herself.

There were other things to take care of.

Without another word the Baroness headed out from the dungeon and returned back to her manor. It would be several hours later when a messenger from the city finally arrived. Garbed with the colors of the Crown, he was allowed entrance to the estate and shown to Elise.

• Yay
Four levelled crossbows had greeted the messenger when he'd shown himself at the gates. Takama had emerged apologetic and brought them in, explaining the heightened readiness was due to the fires they'd seen the night before. The household guard were everywhere with detachments drilling in the yard while others manned the walls.

"Lady Virak is this way" she said, leading him through the entrance hall. "She is of course most concerned. Who could imagine trouble so close to Vel Anir? Patrols are meant to range out several days ride from the city, why we might all be murdered in our beds next!"

She bowed to Elise before rising to present the courier. "A royal messenger from the City mistress" she introduced, stepping to the side so that they might come forward.

• Yay
A messenger was not surprisring. A royal messenger most certainly was.

She had expected someone from Vel Anir, but an agent of the crown? Confusion slipped across her face for just a bare second as she tried to reason as to why it would be. There was no real point to it...the Crown had less political power than most minor houses.

Something had to be at foot. "Send him in."

The introduction was already made, but she needed to show early on that she was in charge here.

No one else.

• Yay
Politics were a delicate dance in Vel Anir. All Houses owed fealty to the Crown but its power was more ceremonial than not. There were minor houses with as much military power as the current royals. Nominally they were all sworn to them but generally the platitudes and promises made to the crown were mere lipservice.

House Virak might act as loyal servants but Elise was not going to play this part in her own home. The courier looked flustered, it had been a hard ride from the city. "Lady Virak" he greeted, rising from his bow. He moved to take a scroll from his pouch.

"I bring grim tidings but no doubt you are already aware in some part" he said, "There was an emergency gathering of the council convened this morning". He took a deep breath "Last night, House Hothra's manse was sacked. Our scouts have scoured the ruins but it appears there were no survivors". Another pause, "Even the bodies of the ruling family were unrecognisable".

He looked down at the scroll again, "By royal decree we are required to inform all the houses of this terrible calamity as an attack against one is an attack against us all. An investigation will take place so it may be necessary for you to answer questions from a bearer of a Royal Warrant. Your Highness wishes to assure you that the perpetrators will be brought to justice".

• Yay
She perked an eyebrow.

A royal investigation? That was...unexpected. Why would the Crown isnert itself into a matter like this? She had known there would be an investigation, but she'd expected it would come from the Ruling Houses.

Were they using the Crown as a front?

It was entirely possible, even probable...but this was odd even for them. House Hothra had been in opposition to the current ruling Alliance. They wouldn't care enough to send a proper investigator or anything of the sort, and to cloak their actions with the seal of the King? No...it was too much of an undertaking. There was something else at play here.

"I will make my way to the city. It will be easier." With that she waved dismissively.

Elise of course had no intention of cooperating with anyone or anything, but she needed to find out what was going on.

That meant leaving the estate sooner then she'd planned.

The messenger seemed a little stonewalled, he'd had more to say but he hadn't expected to be so curtly dismissed. Elise was already ignoring his presence. A little redfaced, he bowed before leaving the chamber. Takama seemed a little surprised too but she hid it well.

She approached the throne with her head down, "Do you wish to depart today mistress?". The idea of a royal investigation had her worried. The crown was weak but they still had power when used right.

• Yay
Her fingers tapped against the arm of her throne, lips thinning.

"Tomorrow." Elise said quietly.

It was clear that she was half lost in thought. These developments were...troubling. Father would no doubt be holding some sort of tantrum, and as a result she may actually have to explain herself. Lips compressed even further and she glanced around the small room. There was no one save for she and the Dreadlord.

"We cant be seen to rush." She explained quietly. "But make preparations."

She would need a wagon, and a guard. "Gather the other Dreadlords as well."

Elise wanted a full company of thirteen as they traveled.

• Yay
Takama made a grunt in agreement. "It is probably for the best mistress" she said. "I'll will see to the preparations". Elise wanted a show of force it seemed. Thirteen Dreadlords would be enough to see off anything short of a small army.

"We should contact those of your retainers in the city. I don't think there will be anything in wait but one can never be too careful".

• Yay
"I'll contact my father." Elise said dismissively, clearly not thrilled by the idea.

The Head of House Virak would not be well pleased if he learned that this had been her doing, and she would have to maneuver carefully to make sure he didn't find out. She thought it would not be too difficult, as long as she was carefully anyway. Her lips thinned for a moment, though relaxed slightly as she continued to speak.

"House Virak will show it's support for our allies." She continued. "No doubt Father will be gathering an army."

As useless as that was.

• Yay
"An army, will that not be seen as provocative?" she pressed, "I understand every house will ensure its security but gathering an army suggests an expedition will be mounted".

She was not looking forward to the city. It would be swarming with spies, informants, assassins, all in the employ of one or more of the various houses, trying to gain any leverage they could over their rivals.

• Yay
"My father won't care." Elise said with an agitated wave, knowing exactly what the Head of House Virak will do.

He was a brilliant man in his own right, she would never deny that, but when it came to issues like this he had never once been the type of person to see the nuance of it. In her father's eyes they were the rulers of Vel Anir, not house Anireth, not anyone else at all.

The only reason they weren't in charge was of course the fault of others. "He'll proclaim that he's going to 'hunt' the savages and burn down anything in side way."

She made a clicking sound with her tongue.

"It won't start a civil war." She eased Takama's mind on that. "But the other Houses will be displeased."

• Yay