Private Tales The Vicar of Suffering

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She paused for a moment, then shook her head. "I will not save you a second time."

The crown on her head seemed to pulse at the words, but the Blight Witch would have none of it. She had remained free of Elbion and others for nearly half a decade because she'd been careful. Underestimating the Master's of Elbion and Dreadlord's was not being careful. It was downright idiotic.

Luc's question would remain unanswered, though that in it of itself was likely enough of a response. All she needed was food for their journey, everything else she already had.

Nayella had no real concern about getting caught.

She could, and would fight to the death, but if they were cornered it would be an entirely different story. The artifact in her skull was valuable, and she would not have it fall into the hands of anyone else.

Any sign of trouble and she would leave the other two behind, despite what the bloody thing in her mind wanted.

Without another word Nayella turned away from the other two and crested the hill. Her path would lead her to one side of the village towards a large collection of buildings with a large windmill to their right.

Nayella didn't like it.

The crown she wore did something, but the woman herself did not. The door remained locked. No anger came to the surface. No frustration. No heartbreak or longing. Nothing. Only the blank statement of fact. A mystery, the true nature of Nayella and Luc's relationship with one another. Perhaps there was none. A chance meeting and a banding together of convenience or for protection or some similar arrangement. No emotion reaching notice in it. It was stiff. Business-like. Anathema to Anima. A sun-baked corpse's blackened blood to a vampire bat.

But all was fine. Though the door remained locked, Nayella simply started walking toward the village. Leaving Luc and Anima. The two of them. There was no agreement or disagreement with Luc's plan. Just her statement. It could have meant a number of things. That she would go through with it but not help if things went awry. That she was finished with them, and sought to leave them to their own dangerous and devious devices. Or something else.

Whatever her intention, opportunity presented itself in her wake. Whenever three became two, the two could be made closer. It was a focusing of attention, a simplification of possible interactions. She'd seen it before.

Anima side-stepped just a bit closer to Luc, such that her shoulder nudged into one of his. And she brought her arm up and across his back and shoulders. Draped it there. Gentle pressure, tugging him toward her. A hug, from the side. It would have carried a risk of recoiling had she done it without cause. Such as it often was with those she thought shy. But Nayella had introduced cause, hadn't she?

"You are not alone, Luc," Anima said, watching Nayella go. Then, eyes shifted to him. "And you are confident, aren't you? What saving will you need if all goes well, hmm? But whatever may come, you've no reason for fear."

A smile. "All is made sweeter, endured together."

• Yay
Reactions: Nayella and Luc
Nayella made sure to remind him of his past failure, the act of having been caught. For someone on the run, he should have been more watching. He had reprimanded himself regarding that since then and vowed never to be caught again. Still, despite what he believed to be improvement and learning how to mask his signature, to a certain degree at least, her words still stung. He knew she meant it, and there would be no second time.

And so I will just avoid capture entirely... The words were whispered into the corners of his mind, a poor attempt to encourage himself.

Her her however was a strong attempt that succeed, as he leaned into her. By his choosing or her doing was left to debate, but the time traveling with each other, the reluctant half elf felt himself growing closer to the odd Anima. Her touch was welcomed he discovered and given the circumstances he nearly got away with not blushing. Nearly. Crimson did stain his cheeks, faint but there nonetheless.

"Thank you Anima..." he said as they stepped off... This part was easier knowing he had her beside him. "We will do this... I need you to be careful as well though.... I... I am not proceeding with out you."

He confessed, brow furrowing as he did so as if he didn't believe he spoke the words that just left his mouth... And for the first time he wondered. Just what effect did she hold over him?

Nayella of course did not hear the exchange of the other two, nor would she have truly cared if she did. The Blight Witch had her own goals in mind, and a blossoming affection between her traveling companions was about as interesting as an insect crawling across the forest floor.

That was to say; not at all.

Instead she focused on the task ahead. She had visited this village before, weeks after her initial escape from Elbion. The people here had been kind to her, healing her wounds and taking care of her as she recovered. Some of them had even hidden her from Hunters seeking her arrest for the crimes committed during her escape.

It was an act of kindness that she had not forgotten. Still, it did not take away a penny from her task. She still had a distraction to create, and she would do so.

Carefully.

As she walked down the slope of the small hill Nayella uttered a small spell beneath her breath. It was simple magic, the sort that was taught within the halls of Elbion. The cost was the chant itself, and as she wandered across the field her appearance began to change.

The clothes she wore became more vibrant, her hair turned a bright red, and slowly the crown disappeared from her skull.

An illusion. It did not cloak her trail, and if touched it would shatter, but it would do for now.

Not so shy anymore.

The door ajar had opened just so. Enough for her to peer further in. And she found the redness in his cheeks sweet. Therein lay an invitation unspoken. Partner to his leaning into her embrace. Yes, their travel had been long, their circumstance shared. It made for a drawing together. A stripping away of barriers and boundaries. Slow, always slow, as creeping realizations were. And the intersections of the lives they had lived had become clearer. Did they not both fear the return to Elbion? Did they not both have their hands forced into darkness? Did they not both know the loneliness of their journeys in exile and long for the touch of a caring soul?

Cherries. The taste of cherries, lining her mouth, dancing faintly on her tongue. A ghostly thing, not yet fully realized, but there. And pleasant.

And they stepped off. Heading more directly into town while Nayella donned her illusion and made way obliquely to them. Perhaps she was going through with it. Good. The chance of it going wrong still present. The possible imperilment of all three of them looming large but as yet unseen.

And Luc's words underscored the savory tension that lay dormant yet undeniably present in their approach. Careful. He was not proceeding without her. And an odd look. A delight to behold. Those rare glimpses of a face betraying some internal struggle. Tiny and subtle, belying the magnitude of what war raged in the blackness of mind where words and thoughts dared not tread. The place of want. Need. Impulse. Desire. Sometimes conflicting, but always hungering.

Yes, a tiny, sweet little thing, conveyed through his brow for her eyes to see.

"You will be careful, won't you?" Anima said as they walked. "Though you fear Elbion, the journey is not quite done yet, is it? You fear what may come more. Yes. You will be careful. Because you must."

And she looked at him. Gaze lingering. The taste of cherries becoming more potent. A smile. Wavering some as she thought. Her face's own little betrayal. But a smile. She said, "You do not wish to lose more than you already have."

* * * * *​

Cecilia Mason stood outside of Jack Treefeller's store, next to the horse-drawn wagon laden with boxes and crates and a few barrels and stood with the man Jack himself, his hand in hers as she channeled light and gentle healing magic into it. Jack was Ared'luin's most connected trader; had the widest variety of stock and was the village's lifeblood in trade. He had been quite the traveling merchant back in his day, making the rounds between Alliria and Elbion and Vel Anir and hundreds of little stops in-between. Survived more than one bandit attack and raid on his caravans, that was for certain. But it didn't make him jaded or world-weary, no. He was a jolly old man, balding and with a fluffy white beard, always a pleasure to talk to--especially since both of her brothers had left town for adventure on the road.

Of course, he was a bit clumsy. Like today. Dropped one of those crates full of tanned leather hide and strips and managed to have it smash his hand between it and the wagon bed.

"Now don't go tellin grouchy ol Redoran I done went and dropped his shipment, heh heh," Jack said. His grin big and toothy and friendly as could be. He had a Luin drawl just like her, as if he'd lived here his whole life. "You know well as I do Cecilia that he'd be liable to tan my hide."

She smiled. Made a little amused hmm in her throat. "Sure do respect a man loves his work."

"Sure do, heh heh." A flash of remembrance in his eyes. "Say, I'm hopin yer parcel is on this here wagon. Couldn't tell ya how fast them boys in Elbion work but, if they done did it fast enough, could be here, I reckon."

"Reckon so?" she said.

"If'n you should be so lucky. Maybe you could round up Lionel and Armen to help me git all this unloaded. Find out quicker, wouldn'tcha?"

Cecilia thought for a moment. Her eyes visible searching for the memory. "Hmm. Think I seen the Springwaters headin off to the stream this mornin with their boys. Maybe they come back. Maybe not. I can see."

"Well I would appreciate it." Jack grimaced and then relaxed as the big bruise receded more and more under the coaxing of her magic. "These ol bones goan need help more offen 'an not, these days. Tell yer father gettin old stinks, and I highly recommend he don't do it, heh heh."

She giggled. "I sure will let him know you said so."

• Yay
What did you do when the merchant most likely to have the wares you needed was not ready to sell his wares? When in truth it looked as if he were in need of a helping hand? Luc wanted nothing more then to purchase his items and vanish. Now it seemed he and Anima would have to make an impression. As quickly as it had been formulated, the plan was quickly changing.

Their approach was slow, their paced relaxed. At some point Luc, as they approached Ared'luin, could hear her words echoed in his head. You do not wish to lose more than you already have... And so he went from walking beside her, to offering his arm and just like that the picture painted shifted from weary travelers to that of friends, or perhaps more then friends, out for a stroll. And though not speaking, for his body was filled with nervous energy, he smiled as if he were the happiest man... Despite knowing full well what they were doing was crazy. They were possibly walking into a hornets nest.

Walking with purpose meant not stopping to take in the sights. It meant not changing direction suddenly. It meant asking smart questions. And so shuffling in beside a cart filled with apples, he smiled lovely to Anima as if she had said the funniest thing he had ever heard presenting to anyone who looked, that of a happy couple. He was handsome, striking in the elvish way elves were, and he hoped no one paid to close attention. And she was... Heaven's he knew Anima was beautiful. Odd but beautiful. And over the time spent traveling, they had grown closer. But at that moment she seemed... More. For a moment he stared at her with those bright blue eyes and he nearly forgot what they were doing. Nearly. Regaining his composure, he would reach up to touch the rim of his hood. He was sure to have it drawn up and wanted nothing more then portray the visage of that of a handsome lad. One in love hopefully, and nothing more.

"Sir." He'd call out to the man driving the cart. "What delicious looking apples... So red and vibrate... I have to make sure to pick some up before we leave... Are you by chance going to.... Heavens... I can't recall his name.... I've been here twice before and I've forgotten. Who's the merchant who sells nearly everything one would need... I've afraid we nearly exhausted our rations... And I've angered her more then once during our journey so I need someone who sells shiny things as well... Someone with a variety I recall."

The driver laughed at the compliment and heard the Luc's plea and just like that they were being guided. No names were offered nor where they asked, Luc guiding the conversation when needed and focusing on the driver who shared owner of a orchid with his brother. The aim was to keep the man talking about himself, and so far, it worked. However despite their clever camouflage, upon arriving and seeing Jack Treefeller's current state Luc realized it wouldn't be a simple matter of grabbing what they needed and leaving.

"Might you need a hand sir? My betrothed and I are looking to restock for our trip to Alliria... But you look to be in a bind." Luc said upon their arrival. The faster they helped this man, the faster they could be on their way. On the surface, Luc smiled and presented the picture of a nice young lad. Inside he screamed. He was nervous and wanted to run. Running meant putting his travel companions in danger though... And that is something he would not do. Like Anima mentioned, he didn't want to lose any more then what he had already.

No one questioned her as she walked through the villages streets.

She looked any other farm girl, young, innocent, and probably a little bit dumb. Nayella had to force it, but she made her face appear half spaced out. Her eyes were listless, staring at something in the distance rather than bouncing through the street in an attempting to perceive everything around her.

It was difficult not to default to Paranoia.

For nigh on a decade now she had been on the run form Mages, Bounty Hunters, Soldiers, and everything else that came after people like her. Even now she felt like a dozen eyes were watching her. She couldn't help but feel a prickle crawl up her spine as she moved through the streets.

Her eyes gently shifted from person to person, scanning the building as she looked for something that would due for her little mission.

She did not want to select a tavern or town hall, no, that would be too much. She needed something...ah. That would be perfect.

A small smile spread across her face as she potted a windmill on the far edge of the village. Nayella knew that they had agreed on something else before she'd ventured out, but a windmill was important to this village. It's millstones ground the famous herb, and if that went up in flames...

Slowly the witch wandered forward.

Luc's arm on offer. And so she gave hers. And they were interlocked together as they approached. Such as it had been since the farmhouse by circumstance. And now, physically. Willingly.

And they had a shared secret, didn't they?

Yes. Not so shy anymore, indeed. A little push, a little encouragement. Enough to set in motion the spark that would become the fire that would catch upon the trees and in time rebirth the whole of the forest anew. A pleasure to bear witness. What Luc may yet rise from the ash? What would his heart then know of itself, in the smoldering of what once had been?

And she smiled and leaned into him as they walked into the village proper and the wilderness dropped away about them. Each donning a mask of demeanor much as Nayella had donned a mask of illusion.

A curious thought, accompanying the faint taste of cherries upon her tongue. Masks. An appropriate term and not. It was as if their masks had been modeled on their own faces, Luc and Anima's. Seeking to veil that which was already to a degree apparent.

A certain joy in that.

Luc spoke to the villager who owned the apple cart. Convinced him to guide them to the town shop. She smiled cordially as he spoke. Rested her head upon his shoulder until they began walking again. Laughed quietly when Luc said 'shiny things'.

Perhaps they appeared ravaged and worn by the wilds and arduous travel to an extent, but the demeanor they had adopted seemed to work well; the apple cart vendor made no specific mention of it. Went on to speak of himself and his brother. Yes. Had they come to town separately, surely they both would have appeared more suspicious, more threatening, even if by a small margin. But together. Appearing enraptured by each other with only superficial interest in the town. Little cause for concern there, and so they would fade in with the numerous other travelers who had come and gone peacefully.

And it would be Nayella's business to ensure that they remained nameless. Faceless. Forgotten after it was all done.

Or not.

A shiver of excitement down her spine.

* * * * *​

Jack Treefeller.

The name of the store owner the apple cart vendor led them to.

An old man. He stood outside of his shop by a wagon loaded with boxes, crates, and barrels. He was lifting some of the smaller crates and boxes and grunting with effort and setting them down and stacking them on the hardpacked dirt road. A woman was walking away as Luc and Anima approached.

And Luc spoke to Jack.

Anima grinned at a word spoken.

Betrothed. What a lovely way to phrase it.

Jack Treefeller smiled broadly and said, "Well, how do ya do there, sir. Ma'am. Name's Jack Treefeller, but ol' Ronnie there probably told ya as much already. Now, now, friend o' mine Cecilia there walkin' away is goan off to git me some help. Don't you worry there, traveler. I might be doin a little restockin of my wares, but I gots almost a whole store's worth to offer ya still. I pride myself on it, heh heh."

"Are you certain you need not the help?" Anima said.

"Well," Jack said, "it'd be mighty kind o' ya, but I ain't goan make ya. I mean no offense, but you and your man look to have walked a hard road, and still ya got more hard road yet to walk. If it's nothin' much to ya, then sure, I'd take what help you've got to give. But I'd have to insist on givin' ya both a discount. Heh heh, only fair, right? Now, like I said, don't you worry 'bout me, so don't feel no obligation to tucker yourselves out on my account."

Jack reached for another small crate. "Take a look around in my store, if it suits ya. If ya don't see somethin ya need, give me a holler and I'll find it here on this wagon, most likely."

Anima looked to Luc. Smiled. Willing to follow his lead.

A bond of trust.

• Yay
Reactions: Nayella
Smile given to old man Jack, Luc would press his forehead to Anima's and brush his lips against her own, the briefest of kisses offered before he moved to help. "You have the list love..." Which they went over and so she knew what they needed. In the meantime, Luc would help and get information as well.

Picking up a box, he repressed a groan, realizing he was weaker then he liked to admit. Time on the road with out proper meals could do that. Waiting for instructions, he decided to go on and carry the conversation. "So. I hear this town is known for a particular plant... Wouldn't mind getting some of those herbs if possible... The road is far harder on us then we expected it to be."

Spoken like the first time traveler he was.

"I hope you have some available, unless some other party beat us to it."

And there it was, Luc's attempt to find out if someone else other then them was currently visiting the town. Better to know now then be surprised. Box placed down, he moved quickly to the next one, as they were on the clock. Nayella would not wait to cause her distraction after all.

Nayella stalked towards the windmill, still doing her best to keep up the appearance of a stupid little farmgirl out for some milk.

The windmill drew closer, beginning to loom over her as she approached. Yet as she did the crowd grew thicker. Tradesman, housewives, and even children filtered through the streets, and as they moved Nayella had to make sure to avoid each and every single one of them.

Instead of focusing on where she was going Nayella began to look at those in the crowd, filtering them out and doing her best to make sure that not a single one touched and broke the disguise that she had woven around herself

That was when the Blight Witch saw her.

A woman in a black cloak, silvery armor over her chest and a braid of bright red hair over her shoulder. Her shoulders were square, and her back drawn up, chin held as high as a Queen. One might have taken her for a soldier, but a mark branded upon her hand identified her as something else entirely.

Dreadlord. Nayella thought to herself, tension immediately filling her chest.

The woman did not appear to be searching for anyone, or anything, in particular, but her presence was unnerving enough.

She hoped Luc and Anima were working quickly.

Ephemeral. Such was the nature of good things. Whether they be a small moment, a single night, or the bygone days of a life.

Yes. All good things died. Flashes of fire, never meant to endure. That was the dominion of ash. Of goodness lost. Of darkness.

And there for but a fleeting moment did Luc's lips touch hers. Before that moment, too, turned to ash. Leaving only the remembering.

"It is known...love," she said. She smiled back at him. And allowed her arm to slip away from his.

She had her part to play now.

Anima turned and walked through the front door of Jack Treefeller's shop. Though it didn't feel like one. It felt more like...a home. Inviting, as if a dear friend had welcomed you into his house. Quaint, in its own way. There were tables of clustered items in the large main room and shelves lined with an assortment of things and barrels with a few sample goods placed on top to hint at what lay within, yes, but it appeared more like it was the jolly old man's decorations than his wares on sale.

She shuddered. The sudden and apparent closeness to Jack by merely being allowed in his shop. Overwhelming.

And she walked between a row of tables and the wall and let her fingers glide along the table's edge. Curious eyes surveying the shelves and the contents on the tables. The smallest, mousy feeling of being a trespasser. And an excitement therein. Yes. In a sense, Luc and Anima could be considered such. Here as they were under pretense.

Anima stopped by a window. Caught a glimpse of Luc helping Jack.

Pretense.

She spotted some traveling packs and satchels on a shelf by the window and grabbed two of the packs. Food. Medicine. Supplies. Weapons, he had said. She let her eyes wander about the tables of the main room.

Pretense.

She picked up a dagger from a table and examined it and briefly tried to see if it would fit into the slot underneath her left bracer or into one of her bootknife slots but neither worked so she simply placed the dagger back into the sheath and tossed it into one of the packs.

Pretense.

She found the only spot where Jack had bothered to organize things, and that, luckily, appeared to be the jars and vials and roughspun cloth bags of various medicines, herbs, ointments, and remedies. She knew that she knew not nearly as much as Luc and just grabbed a few things here and there from the table that seemed a good enough assortment of what was on offer.

Pretense.

The food she found in one corner of the room on a table were all rations fit for long travels; cured and salted meats, some fruits, bags of beans, oats, and such. Though it appeared a number of the rations had already been purchased there was still enough left to take up ample space in both packs.

She stopped. Laughed softly to herself.

Pretense. A word that fit poorly.

Did it not?

She continued wandering the shop and gathering various supplies as she spotted them.

* * * * *​

"That it is, friend," Jack said as he climbed onto the wagon shifted some of the smaller boxes and crates more toward the back edge. "The Luin flower. Our little village here ruled by three Archons, Master healers. They sworn to keep the knowledge of the Luin flower and pass it on down the line to those folks who succeed them and become Archons themselves."

Jack carefully slid off of the wagon and back to the ground.

"And you reckoned right, traveler. 'Fraid the stock the Archons allow me is done gone already. Got folks far as Elbion and Vel Anir come this way for it all the time, heh heh. All the time. Mostly they deal with the Archons directly and such, but if they need more they come my way and, stranger lemme tell ya, I do so love the price they'll pay for it. More than I ask, that's for sure. Fact, woman who done come and bought me outta Luin flower paid a hefty premium for it. Heh heh, I like to think it's this handsome face o' mine does the trick, but ol' Jack Treefeller ain't foolin' nobody and sure ain't swoonin' no pretty laides these days. That kind o' thinkin' for a younger man like yerself to do, ain't it?"

Jack gestured his head backward, toward his shop. "Yer a lucky man, traveler. Been married fifty years myself. You heard that right, son. Fifty, heh heh. You find the right one, you hold her close, hear? And if you don't mind my sayin' so, it's the humble opinion of this old codger that you done found the right one. Way you was lookin' at each other. I may be a dummy but I can tell that much, and that's a fact, heh heh."

Jack grinned. Then started and said, "And here I am slackin' when I oughta be workin'. I flap my gums too much, if ya caint tell, heh heh."

And Jack reached for another crate and took it off the wagon and stacked it on another two on the ground.

• Yay
It was strange how words from a strange could cause one pause but as he stood there, listening to the old merchant, Luc was rocked by a startling surprise. His face showed as much as his mouth slightly fell ajar and his brow furrowed in question. "Y... You think?" He blurted, turning to look back as the man's shop.

His heart was a flutter for all but a moment and he nearly forgot their reasons for being there. Pleasant as the thoughts were, of Anima possibly be his right one. He thought back to the chaste kiss the shared moments before and her parts words. Love... He smiled as he shifted his focus. This moment would be revisted in the privacy of the woods when they had a moment to steal away together... Alone.

"A shame.. About the herb... We mean to travel as far as the Spine..." He paused before realizing his words earlier. "After our stop in Alliria... Thought I might bring some for the Dwarves there to sample... Figured I'd trade with this... Who knows, might peak their interest and have them come here looking for more.. Coin in that I imagine."

He rambled, presenting the possible business proposal in such a nonchalant way. Any one worth their salt as a merchant knew of the coin they could make dealing with dwarves. "I ought to see what my betroth has gathered.... Perhaps remind her we need actual supplies and not shiny things."

Nayella continued her trek towards the windmill, her peripheral vision remaining on the Dreadlord as long as she was in sight. Eventually the other woman faded from view, though it helped none of the tension that was stirring within the Blight Witch's chest.

She knew that a fight with such a mage would be...difficult. There was no guarantee of winning, and the attention she would draw would likely lead to her capture. There was no doubt in her mind that the best path was to avoid a fight...but if she could somehow pull the woman into the conflict it would heighten the distraction.

An idea formed in her mind.

Vel Anir had long attempted to conquer this village, take it's knowledge and use it as a weapon of war.

Perhaps something could be instigated here. She would have to play it just right, but there was a possibility to begin something far greater than originally intended. Perhaps it was silly of her to think she could spark something so large, but even a minor conflict in this area would draw a massive amount of attention.

Enough for her and the other two to slip through to Elbion without any further trouble.

The thought delighted Nayella, and with a small almost girlish giggle the Blight Witch proceeded to mutter the same phrase she had upon wandering into the village. The moment she did her visage began to change. Her hair turned red, her coat black, and her demeanor took on that of a Queen's.

A small box of cherries.

There. Sitting on one of the tables, mixed in among other containers that were empty. Overlooked, perhaps. Hidden away from the other assortments of food, what little was left, in the shop.

Anima set down the two loaded traveling packs and reached down and slid the thin cover of the box off. Gracefully ran her fingers across the smooth, thin wood of the box. Simply made. Small and quaint, much like the village itself. She cupped the ends of the rectangular box in her palms. Lifted it carefully. Smelled the cherries.

Fresh.

She smiled.

Held the box with one hand. Her right.

And touched the cherries with the index finger of her left. Let it glide across the red surface of each. Let the tiny wound on the tip of her finger touch them. Did this for a time.

Yes. A new desire.

She wanted to share them. The cherries. With Luc. The taste of them.

A gift, meant to be given at the right time.

And she reached down and grabbed the wooden cover of the box and slid it securely back into place. She held the box in her hands. Staring at it. Losing track of time as her mind wandered and wandered and wandered away.

* * * * *​

"I've an eye for it," Jack said with a grin.

He listened to Luc's proposed travel plans. Put his hands in the small of his back and arched and stretched it.

"You'd imagine right. Now if I were a younger and more ambitious man, I'd stop at nothin' to git me some of that Dwarven gold. As it so stands, that's more work than I'd be willin' to put in, sizable profit or no. Ol' man like myself prefer the gold come to me, heh heh. Believe me, traveler, I'd sell ya all I had in a heartbeat if'n you was willin' to make that kind o' journey, and it sounds like you is to me."

Jack let a big, loud Ahhhhh. "But, as I mentioned, lady done bought me out today. Imagine she still 'round. Caint miss 'er. Black cloak, silver armor, red hair. One o' them big time mages up from Vel Anir. Excuse my frankness, but you'd have to make her one hell of an offer to buy those prepared Luin flowers from 'er. Probably ain't worth it, but I been wrong before, heh heh."

Then Luc said he'd go and check on his betrothed.

Jack nodded. "Alright. You do that. Take all the time ya need. You can just bring everthing you need out here and I'll tally it up, yer work discount included. Thanks again for yer help and yer time, traveler. Now git whatcha need and come on back. And don't you worry 'bout me, my friend Cecilia goan bring some youngins 'round to help me finish unloadin' this here wagon. Meantime, I'll do what ol' men do best. Nothin', heh heh."

And he leaned up against the back of the wagon and entwined his hands behind his head and carefully stretched again.

• Yay
Some information was gathered. True to his word, Jack did not have any of the herbs left. However, Luc now knew how bought up all his wares. Trouble. Smile given, he dipped away from the merchant to follow after Anima. He entered, blue eyes widening at the sight of all the potential. So many things you didn't have and needed. He looked to Anima and saw she had two bags put together.

He felt compelled to move towards hers but but curiosity tear at him as well. He looked as a tentative step forward was taken towards here but posed, a rack of cloaks grabbing his attention. Simple cloaks had been hung, dark brown in color and uninterested. Yet it was something they needed.

He took one off it's hook and approached her, lip nibbled as he dared to wrap it around her shoulders and clasps it together with the pin ornament pin. "To keep warm.... On those cold nights..." His eyes danced as if some unspoken words passed between them. "Come wife to be.. We must away before our friend calls."

He reminded her that they indeed to hurry. Nayella was not known for her patience... And soon enough she would indeed call.

Fire had never been her friend.

Flame was the opposite of rot. Not in the sense of their end, but the process. Fire was quick, consuming, chaotic. Rot was different. The blight that Nayella created was slow, creeping, controlled. She could move it how she wanted, force it to act how she wanted.

The crown gave her control over the Blight, but it did not allow her to summon flames. Had she stayed with the mages of Elbion longer she might have been able to summon what she needed, but as she approached the Windmill Nayella knew that she would have to be creative.

Under her guise no one approached her, most assuming that she was simply taking a jaunt through the field surrounding the great structure.

Her eyes gazed upon the building, lips thinning as she saw men and women passing beneath the four blades that constantly caught the wind. There were people inside. Good.

The Blight Witch mused to herself as she stalked forward and moved behind the windmill. Her head swiveled for a moment, looking for anyone who might be watching.

Then she pressed her palm against the wooden building. Her form shimmered slightly, the illusion nearly breaking as it suffered physical contact. A moment later Nayella took her breath, and then the wooden boards before her began to crinkle. The life flowed from them, what remained of it, the wood beginning to dry and turn into little more than tinder.

She blinked. Felt something on her shoulders. The world snapping back into focus. Her mind along with it. An immediate banishing of the thing on her mind that she so fancied and that had completely enraptured her for some time. She could almost feel it. Disintegrating. Slipping through proverbial fingers as her mind lost its grasp on it and like a fine mist it dispersed and dispersed until only the thought of having a thought remained. Its contents lost forever.

Cherries?

Luc.

There's Luc.

Anima looked to him and her expression brightened. Mild confusion to warm joy. Her left hand touching the cloak he wrapped about her, holding the box with her right. She made the same eye motion as him. A shadow and an echo of his mannerism.

Curious. He hadn't gotten a second cloak.

Intentional. He meant for it to be shared.

And a shiver of delight ran up her spine. Teeth lightly chattering.

"Yes," she said. "Away. And the road ahead is long, isn't it?"

She reached down and grabbed one of the travel packs and handed it to Luc and reached down again and grabbed the other and slipped the box into it. Yes. The road would be long. Many nights. Many.

Their business in the shop finished, Anima stepped back outside with Luc. Handed her bag to Jack so that he could see all that he needed to add to their total. And the old man worked, talking and tallying and talking. His voice distant to her. Her attention not on him. Her eyes staring through him and the wagon and the dirt road and the world. And Jack would say the total for all the goods they had assembled and she wouldn't hear it as she stood there with the very same placid look she had as her mind had wandered earlier regarding the box of cherries.

Wife to be.

Her mind played and danced with the words as they overcame conscious thought and the wandering had begun again and so it was that she slipped away under the veil of faded images before her eyes and the shroud of silken emotion gracing her flesh and she thought of her time as Lydia and all of the things that had flooded her then gathered now at the dam of potential and possibility and her mind reached for and toyed with them and yes, yes, oh yes, they were things all that she craved and desired for the lack thereof had served only to make the yearning stronger and stronger and stronger still yes, yes, oh yes, she could have that which was only before ephemeral and never truly hers and experienced merely through the mask of another but here now yes, yes, many times yes, things could be different oh yes of course they could be different if she would just dare oh yes dare to step outside the comfort of the shadow and cast off the fear and stand oh yes stand before the light and declare herself yes self declare herself and give in oh yes give in to the desire which she had always known to be there and had now, now of all nows, so surfaced and so coaxed and so compelled and so demanded she give in oh yes give in.

A smile.

And an obsession was born.

• Yay
Reactions: Naghi and Luc
Luc was blissfully unaware of the smile as he focused on paying for the items. Pulling out a sack of coins and handing them over to Jack would look rather questionable, which was something Luc wanted to avoid. In truth, given their appearance, presenting such a heavy purse would catch attention no matter how nice they acted. They were by no means rich, but the funds provided to them was beyond what they should have carried. Though Luc presented them as wayward travelers who had gotten turned around in the wilds, they were certainly worse for wear. So as Jack tallied everything Anima had gathered, he turned his back to the man to face her. Luc was sure to keep a close ear for the final numbers, being sure to have it ready to pay.

Stack of coins offered, the half elf was kind enough to provide two extra silvers. A nice tip but nothing that would cause alarm. "Thank you sir... You've done us a kindness.. And I'll remember your words." Luc said, stealing a glance to Anima. Though they were playing a part at the moment, he couldn't help but look at her... Where they really playing a part? His heart thumped excited but the Luc was quick to recall what they were doing presently.

Pleasantries exchanged, a pack was given to Anima and he shouldered the other as he quickly stepped off, turning about midstep to ask the merchant one final question. "Where would one get a hot meal around here?" He asked.

Old Jack was excited to tell them that if they walked just a bit further, and turn left upon the main road in town, they would find a rather busy inn. Luc offered a practiced smile and moved off, Anima in tow. They would reach the main road turn and then walk past the inn and into an alley, away from prying eyes. Luc was quick to press Anima into the wall and for those who chanced a look, it would seem like it was two young lovers unable to keep their hands off each other.

Lips pressed against her ear, Luc spoke quickly. "Take the packs and get out of town... Meet up with Nayella and keep pushing North... I'm not far behind." He didn't realize but as he spoke, he took her hand in his and offered a faint squeeze. This was not done for show as the hand he held was away from view of any who passed by them. This was Luc's doing.

Puling away from her, he offered her his pack as he would need to travel lightly for his role. Pushing her further into the alley, he urged her to move that way as he undid a dark sash he kept tied around his waist. The sash was quickly unfolded and used to wrap around his head in a lame attempt to obscure his face. It was clumsy in appearance but it served it's purpose, leaving only his eyes visible. Watching her move on those bright blue eyes near shining in the darkness, he offered the faintest of waves, a small goodbye given before he took a breath.

By now, Nayella would be setting off her part of the distraction leaving Luc little time to get as close to her as possible. With luck, ironically, he would be able to leave a trail for any interesting parties to follow while the pair secreted away. That was the plan at least, however, young as he might be, Luc knew plans hardly worked out. Still they had to try.

Mana gathered as he continued to breath, within moments a gust of wind formed at his heels, scattering dust down the alley and guiding him up off the ground at a blinding pace. The second he cleared the alley , time stood still for a moment, the exhilaration of using his magic in such a way causing his heart to pound once more. From the darkness of the alley he erupted, hanging in midair and affording him a new view of his surroundings before the world began to move once more . Guiding himself forward, he landed roughly upon the roof of the neighbor house, falling to a roll the moment his booted heels touched down. From there, he would begin racing towards the direction Nayella had first headed towards.

Now, it was a race to see how close he could get, a race he prayed no one else interrupted.

The wood was dried, near crumbling to the touch, and Nayella pulled her hand away. A small smile cocked on her lips, and then she took a step back from the windmill.

Her head swiveled for a second, checking to see if anyone was wandering in the field behind her or rounding the corner of the windmill. When no one came she put her hands over her mouth, the image around her shimmering once more as she touched her own skin.

She spoke three short words, and then a tiny flame erupted on her fingertip.

It was another bit of parlor magic, something taught to first year Students in Elbion. A soft ritual spell, the price of which was pulled from your own stamina and 'cast' via the spoken words. It was meant to show students how magic taxed you, while also demonstrating control.

As the flame rippled on her finger she could practically feel her strength sapping away. I've always hated this.

Nayella mused to herself.

Blight Magic worked differently, it's price coming not from her, but that which was blighted, the life around her. The Rot set in like a disease and drew power into an odd feedback.

It was far more pleasant than...this.

With her frown still plastered on the false face Nayella reached out and touched the dried wood. In an instant the flame caught upon the tinder, charring the outside and spreading along the board. Her frown broke into a smile, and with three quick steps she began to move backward.

Within a minute the fire sustained itself, grasping at the wood and raising up at the back of the windmill. Smoke poured forth, obscuring Nayella partially as she ran away towards the woods, making no effort not to be seen.

Much like a note. Held on a violin. The slow and steady gliding of the bow. Growing ever so loud. The world entire drowned and drowned until all was music. Encompassing. Overwhelming. Wonderful.

The stop sudden; the bow lifted violently from the violin. That was how it always ended. How the world forcefully intruded back into mind.

Delightfully lost in her spiraling thoughts. The sound of Luc's voice snapping her back to the here and now. He paid Jack. Spoke to him.

And Luc glanced at her. The ocean of possibility encapsulated therein.

Off they went, their task complete. Anima lifted her traveling pack shouldered it such that the strap would be across her chest, the weight on the crook of her neck and shoulder. And she followed him. No undue attention attracted as they walked down the main road. Merely the fleeting glances of occasional passersby of the village. And even those scant memories soon to crumble to dust in the wake of Nayella's diversion. As they had planned.

Yes, all things wonderful, in both order and chaos. The order of their plan succeeding, the rejoining of her and Luc and Nayella, the nights ahead undisturbed. The chaos of their plan failing, the harrowing emotion on offer, the shattered peace and banality of travel.

Luc led her into an alley. Shadow enveloping them.

And he pressed her into the wall. Without prompt, without question. A excited gasp from Anima, and a grin suggesting the same. From thought to action, spawned in dark and brought to light, a desire had surfaced, hadn't it? His shyness, withering so surely before her eyes, a delight to behold. And soon, perhaps soon, it will have withered fully.

A whisper in her ear. The warmth of his body. The squeezing of her hand, mirrored back to him. And the slow and sure surfacing of the taste of cherries. Distant, incomplete, but undeniable.

The other traveling pack in her hand. A farewell push. A sash, fashioned crudely into a mask. He had his part to do now, as did she.

And Anima said, "Fond does the heart grow, suffering absence." A smile. The ends of which quivering. The tiny struggle to maintain it. "May you be swift, Luc."

And she started away. Walking down the alley and toward the opposing exit, briskly back not with such speed that she might attract attention. She glanced back at end. A small wave from Luc. A wave back, mimicking his own.

Then she was out of the alley and onto another dirt road and walking past the houses and some of the villagers and some of their livestock in a pen and her boots left little trace in the hard-packed dirt.

She walked. Among the homes and toward the edge of the village. Heading north.

Alone.

But eager.

A glowing hope cradled in her chest.

• Yay
By the time he was close to the first plumes of smoke that drifted heavenwards, he was on the roof of a building, doubled over gasping for breath. He had been using his magic to propel him forward, clearly large gaps he otherwise would have had no hope in clearing but he was also using the techniques Nayella taught him to conceal it's use. He was un-practiced in this and the duality of using both skills at once was taxing. However, he found a measure of delight in seeing the smoke. He wanted to be closer but he couldn't afford to complain.

One deep breath taken, he straighten up and stepped off the roof, plummeting downward only to hover in place for a moment, a spiral of air ceasing his fall before the magic faded and he landed with a soft thud. "Hard part over... Now... Time for fun..." He near sighed as he released the cover that hid his magic use. Luc was raw, mana pouring from his body allowing his presence to be known. Perhaps he was being excessive but if he was going to leave a trail, it should be a good one after all.

And so, Luc blasted onto the main street, erupting out of the alley he had dropped into and racing forward at a blinding pace. His steps were aided by the wind magic he called upon and anyone present would be hard press to miss the show he was putting on. Hopefully, this would give the other two enough time to rush off. Of course, that all depended on there be no other trouble other then the ruckus they were causing.

Nayella had made it to the forest, but the woman whom she'd been impersonating had not.

As Luc ran through the city streets and the flames began to rise by the Windmill things devolved into chaos. Women screamed, children ran, and men began to rush to get water and stop whatever was causing chaos within the roads. Awareness was pulled, attention was wrought.

Exactly what they had wanted. Confusion, chaos, they were all there. Unfortunately, so were the eyes of one woman in particular.

She stood in the road directly within Luc's path. Her shoulders were drawn up, her expression regal, lips a sneer as she sensed the magical energy pouring off of the Elf. The crowd had long since parted around her, some peering in fear, others curiosity.

She paid them no mind.

Instead her eyes were locked on the figure rushing through the streets, magic left in his wake, movement fast enough that it was difficult to see.

The Dreadlord stared, her gaze narrowing as Luc drew closer and closer. Then she took a single step forward. A palm was raised upward, thumb and index suddenly coming together in a loud snap. Impossibly the sound rang through the entire street, and then suddenly a wall of black and red flames sprung from the ground directly in front of Luc's path.

(Picture to give better idea of her appearance, hope this is okay guys wanted to inject some dramas)

She could see it from here. Black smoke rising. The windmill in the distance and across the village. One of the sails had caught the fire from the base of the structure. It spun calmly in its orbit among the others. A small rain of embers and cinders as pieces of it detached and fell with each revolution.

And Anima walked. Clouds had swallowed the sun, but still she reckoned vaguely north by it, its position in the sky revealed through shimmering ponds and puddles of blue sky breaking the monotone white and gray. One northerly road out of the village, so far as she could tell. Hard-packed dirt. A well-worn path. Elbion and the terror that lay in wait there some distance beyond.

Some screams and shrieks and yelling, carried by the wind, as the whole of the village was to her back now. Nayella had chosen a prime target. The tallest structure. Central and important to the village. Now catching fire. A totem of dread impossible to ignore. Memories wiped clean of her and Luc's brief time there. Travelers came and went, faces fading with time. But the fire would endure. Even as the windmill crumbled to ash, it would burn on in remembrance.

Yes. That peace broken. Just as it had been in Iron Lake. Those screams and shrieks and yells all things born of tragedy. The manifestation of heightened emotions, unleashed into an ephemeral yet definite scar upon the world. The air and the wind of Arethil surely the keepers of an ever-growing vault of sorrow and pain, archived until Arethil itself would be no more.

Anima wished she could be there. Among them. Basking.

But she could not spare the time nor the risk of sampling all the rare and precious emotions on offer. Far too easy to get lost in them. To lose sight of the grander task.

Elbion. The blackmail. The burden that she and Luc carried.

And she walked along the northerly road. An open field to her right, a fenced area for livestock to her left. Scattered trees ahead. Once she got there, having put some space between herself and Ared'luin and with the relatively obscurity of the trees about her, she could wait by the road. A suitable enough landmark to meet again with Luc and Nayella, though one not without some risk.

Anima walked. Approaching the northern treeline.

• Yay
Reactions: Luc
Anima walked. Approaching the northern treeline.

And Luc dove to the side, body tumbling in a mess of limbs as a wall of black and red flames sprang forth from the earth. He rose upon shaky legs, bright blue eyes locked upon the dreadlord. The snap warned him, otherwise he was convinced he would have smashed into the flames. He had hoped for a quick get away though he had been warned by Nayella as to who frequented the town. Just his luck, he'd run into one such person..

He shifted nervously, the weight of his body moving from one leg to the other. In truth, he was making sure his body could handle what would come next. His attention was fully hers, the screams in the distance no more then a necessary evil for their cause, else that was what he convinced himself. He hoped no one would get hurt, but if they did... Luc was inclined to shoulder the burden and guilt. It was his plan after all.

"Nice trick... I haven't the time to play though..." He called out, voice muffled by the sash wrapped around his face.

He shifted his stance then, presenting his side. Away from view, he gathered water into his palm, calling forth the liquid that rest deep underneath the cobblestone rode. The water began to pool at his heels, creating a source for him to channel from. His brow knitted in concentration as he held his other palm towards the dreadlord, mana spiraling as the wind magic took form. One obvious attack, one not so obvious.

The spiral mana was releaesd, taking a cone shape before being sent forward. It was no different then a arrow and acted in much the same fashion save for the suction that the cone created. The spiral raced forward the Dreadlord, a trail of dust behind it that was swept up by the flowing currents of wind. Trailing behind it was the water he collected, now in the form of a spear that he launched right after the blast of air, obscured by the dust that followed as well.

Luc would not wait to see if his attacks hit home and instead collected the remaining water to form a ring around his body. He judged it was better to bring his source with him in case it was needed, because knowing his luck this fight was not quite over.

• Yay
Reactions: VigiloConfido
The Dreadlords eyes narrowed, and then suddenly her hand jerked to the side.

A cloud of dust exploded directly in front of the woman as the whirl of air neared her, obscuring sight. Then suddenly a second impact exploded further as the spear of water seemed to crash against something within the cloud of dust and debris.

For a second, nothing further happened.

One might have thought the Dreadlord already vanquished, the lack of activity giving off a false sense of security. Then slowly the dust began to settle.

As it fell the woman was not revealed, rather an odd coil of stone had taken its place before her. Another second passed, and then slowly the coil began to unfurl. It's unwound its top, the face of it changing as crags of deep red began to form within the rock itself. Slowly it pulled itself apart, deep red glowing eyes coming into being as it's head hovered over The Dreadlord, lurking and staring directly at Luc.

The woman herself only seemed to smile, staring wordlessly at her opponent with an expression of pure smugness.

Then her hands moved again.

One simply snapped, the other however swept to the side in an almost comical karate chop.

The effects however were far from comical. In an instant the ground all around Luc seemed to shift loose dirt and stone transforming into an almost pool of liquid earth. Quick sand by any other name, intended to ensnare and entrap. At the same time an explosion suddenly erupted directly to the left of the boy inside of small cart.

Shrapnel went flying, a wave of pressure and fire. None of it intending to kill Luc, but instead either push him, or force him to move into the trap she had set.

--

Nayella meanwhile was making her way towards the meet up spot, strolling along and spotting who she thought was Anima already standing there.

A frown touched her lips.

Where was Luc?

Nayella's expression darkened and she glanced back over her shoulder. What had he gotten himself into now?