Open Chronicles The Town of Osteriam (The Buried City Thread 1)

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Osteriam Marketplace

Samara Asenta
-------------------------

Rei'thel wasn't exactly what you could consider a native to Osteriam, and that much was clear from the absence of the layer of sweat and grime that seemed to adorn most of the other people that made up the crowded market. Actually, he'd arrived her quite the same way as Samara had; on board a caravan of goods from all across Arethil, looking to increase his steadily growing fortune by peddling his wares to the miners. Shorty after his arrival, Gella and the Emeralds took power over the city and closed off most passage in and out of its gates. Rather than resist and risk getting himself hurt, Rei'thel instead set up shop in the cold, misty town. He'd enough money to rent room and board, and he'd brought goods with him that no other vendor this far into The Spine could claim to possess.

The pointed ears atop Rei'thel's head visibly perked up when the chillingly smooth elven words met his ears, and the azure of his eyes looked over the book he seemed so enthralled in, his attention successfully diverted. She was definitely new; nobody who'd been in Osteriam for very long looked as pristine as the raven-haired, porcelain-skinned woman standing in front of him did. "Same unto you."
His own elven tongue responded as the book in his hand closed with a thump. Rei'thel tossed the old tome onto the table in front of him, its cover marked with strange symbols and images.

Her words were charming, and they brought a smile to his face if only because it had been so long since he had a conversation with somebody who didn't smell like dirt or stone. "It's been a bit more busy than usual, indeed. All the rumors of some hidden civilization in the caverns have finally put Osteriam on the map."
He shrugs, pushing his wares forward for her to present as he spoke. Most of them could be considered ordinary baubles, albeit expensive ones. There were certainly a few that appeared as though they may be more than they appear, and it seemed that the elven man was well aware of that. "You ask me? They're all crazy here. Especially those Jagged Emeralds. They and their nutcase of a leader make it a miracle anybody still has any freedom left here."

He stopped, looking up to meet her gaze with a coy smirk. "I know that look in your eyes. You're not here for jewelry, are you? You want something a bit more special, am I right?"

He quietly picked a few select pieces out of his collection and moved the rest back out of the way, presenting her with a more select variety. "What is it you need? I have an enchanted brooch here, flash it at somebody and they'll be blinded for a few moments. See this circlet? Amplifies your hearing, makes eavesdropping a breeze..." He pushed the silver circlet and the golden brooch in the shape of a crescent moon forward, before going on. "This ring has a retractable barb in it, which makes it ideal for poisoning and drawing blood... And that's just the more pricy end of things. This town is full of poor miners and stupid gangsters. You, though... I think we can do business. What do you think, Miss...?"

Samara smiled and gave the handsome Elf a slight lift of her eyebrows as he described the Emeralds. Curious. Not exactly her problem. Monsters were her specialty, not criminals. Though if it was as bad as the Elf alluded, wouldn't resolving the issue be adhering to the spirit of her life's work? Monsters enjoyed enslaving the innocent, after all. That or devouring them.

"As keen an eye as I expected," Samara replied to the merchant's observation of her interest. One followed by his clearing of the table save for the more choice of items. Quite the time saver.

Each of what he presented was of interest for one reason or another. Given the probable cost, however, only one was likely to end up in her possession. If that. Might depend on just how outrageous his 'special' wares went for.

"Samara." Her fingers reached out to lightly caress the circlet. "Interesting selection you have. I could think of so many uses for them." Most of them morally and ethically dubious. There were a few legitimate uses though. Difficult to miss how they might be applied to this town's little 'problem.' "Hunting monsters. Eluding pursuers. Undermining criminal syndicates." Just to mention a few. Hopefully the last one would garner just a little more attention by her merchant friend.

"Speaking of," Samara paused to smile at her new friend, "what makes the Jagged Emerald's Leader a nutcase?" Too direct? He'd been the one to bring the subject up. Shouldn't a stranger inquire about something so eyebrow-raising? Besides, didn't seem much point finding great rewards in the Deep only for them to end up utterly worthless in this broken town or some thugs to try taking it from her.

Gella Rerra

Osteriam Gates

Desmene
Cantor
----------------------------

Tyrion wouldn't have blamed the Elf if she'd decided to answer his younger brother with a blade or an arrow. If he was being totally honest, there was some small part of him that longed to see his brash, arrogant sibling taught a valuable lesson in picking one's battles. That's why he seemed almost shocked as the fair elven woman seemed to begin to reach for something other than her weapon. Kleiton on the other hand looked to be nearly salivating at the thought of getting a bit of free coin for his bravado.

The younger man had just taken a step towards Desmene when a second person made themselves known. The dramatic timing of his arrival, the volume of his shout as he called out to Kleiton made the young man almost dumbfounded for a moment.
"Now who the hell is this one?" He'd been having luck shaking down this elf, but evidently, he didn't like his chances as much with the man. This one looked formidable...

"Kleiton, watch yourself..." Tyrion warned as he locked eyes with this new man, tightening his grip on the handle of his blade. His brother deserved a bit of a lesson, but he couldn't allow him to go and get himself killed. If need be, the elder and much more skilled brother would intervene.

Instead, this new arrival seemed to have his own offering, what appeared to be a glimmering ruby. The odd shake of the hand preceding his offer went unnoticed by both of them, and Kleiton took Cantor's bait rather easily, stepping forward with his blade half lowered as he reached out to snag the stone from Cantor's hand. Holding it up, he turned to Tyrion and gloated
"Look at that, Tyr! Not being a wet tablecloth really does pay off!"

Turning back to Cantor and Desmene, Kleiton nods with a smirk.
"Fine, you can go in. Just don't come crying to me when you get in trouble..."

Making off with his prize, Kleiton struts back into Osteriam, his brother only giving him a stern glare as he passes by. Tyrion steps aside as well, sheathing his blade, and leaning against the stone tower with an all too amused look slowly growing upon his bearded face. "I suppose I owe you some thanks for not killing him. I think he'll learn his lesson when he tries selling that." His face goes quite serious, lips turning to a frown as his brows arch. "He's right about one thing though. This place is nothing but trouble, so if you're staying long you'd best keep your eyes open. I've seen a few lost travelers come into town over the time I've been posted here, but I never see them leave. Welcome to Osteriam"

The younger guard took his 'ruby' with unfettered enthusiasm. The older guard appeared to know Cantor's trick, but also seemed grateful at Cantor's choice of wiles over force. He suspected Cantor, or perhaps the elf woman, would have killed him if things got violent.

Seems I'm a bit overdressed then.
Cantor thought to himself.

"Your warning is appreciated." Cantor said to the guard with a slight bow. He still had a duty to fulfill, but it was always better to have an idea of what one was in for. Today it seemed, he was in for more trouble than the average traveler could handle.

"Have a good day, and give your friend a good drink."
Cantor said, and flipped the guard (Gella Rerra) a sliver coin. A weeks wages in many a small town, it wasn't a fortune but perhaps a luxurious night and a good story. The guard had seen through his ruse and let him through without trouble anyways, that was worth something at least.

"I am Cantor of Alliria."
Cantor introduced himself to the elf Desmene as he walked into the town. It was a mix of crumbling ancient dwarvish architecture hastily reinforced with patchwork lumber and stone. Many of the building had simply fallen apart. A sign that the town was far less prosperous than time past.

"Though I'd be grateful for your company, I believe I've overshot my entrance. I'll take no offense should you want a less vibrant travel companion."
Cantor didn't ask for thanks or favors, for the elf would handled herself had he not arrived. Instead he offered her a name, a traveling companion, and a polite way to leave should she choose.

The Alleyway

Farzad Oldsummer

-------------------------------

To say that the man and woman were a bit bewildered by Farzad's unique quirks would be quite a massive understatement. They had perhaps been expecting an unusual fellow; the colorful clothes and wild gait could attest to that, but the level of bizarreness that greeted them when Oldsummer doubled back to greet them left them both rather lost for words. If he truly was as good as he claimed, then perhaps his odd behavior would be something they could easily tolerate, but...

The woman looked a bit startled as Farzad began to jerk about as though unseen forces contorted his body, and suggested that perhaps they were inept thieves. The man at her side reached out to place a hand upon her shoulder, speaking up to clarify further.
"We're with the local militia. Or what's left of it, rather... Are you aware of the situation here, sir? The Emeralds? What they do to us?" The hooded male couldn't allow the man's strange behavior to dissuade him; Oldsummer represented a beacon of hope for his fellow citizen.

The desperation was palpable, but as they explained further, sharing stories of injustices committed by the group of criminals that loomed over the town, it became clear what they truly wanted from Farzad. A mage would be an incredible asset against a group like the Emeralds, and the arcane was one thing that their leader, Gella, had very little understanding of. "If you're willing, we'd like you to help us. They're planning to raid the caverns in just a day. Maybe you could join what meager forces we have and follow them in?"

There was a dip in the atmosphere, Farzad slowly moving back into the alleyway away from prying ears and wandering eyes. It wasn't as sheltered as he liked, the Blacksmith Family was still no more than a few feet away, and when it came to prying eyes and wandering ears they seemed to be all about that in this city.

Taking a seat on his stool Farzad waved at the family, making sure they knew they weren't spies or stealthy, but bumbling like drunk wasps buzzing and knocking over small cutlery.
"Look. Friend. Buddy. Guy. I borderline don't even know what the name of this town is yet alone the mining operations here. It sounds like classic greed to me." At first, it may have seemed that Farzad was following along and understanding for once, and as he reached that zenith, he no dissimilar to Icarus flew too close to the sun and his wax wings were made burnt than banished from his arms. "Simple solution. Just stop collecting all the Emeralds. Or sell them." Then as he fell, it seemed he almost could recover but instead went in for round two to descend lower and faster than before. He paused, pondered, and prayed for a second before shaking his head. "Unless... Oh, I see. You don't mean the emeralds are the problem. I understand." So close, the heavens were only a flap away... "There cursed. The best solution for cursed treasure put them back where you found it. More often than not that's half a curse is just moving them." Farzad clarified, he wasn't wrong. He simply wasn't ascribed to the right conversation.

Of course, they explained.

He was a little bit more contemplative, nodding along as he looked around. He now understood, that little timidness in the spying eyes, the way people seemed to sulk as they moved and why the Library had been closed for so long. This was one part a trap, one part derelict and one part a civilization bent on the back of ruination and banditry, the walls now a cage and each bent over back just another part of the city put to the lash. It was disconcerting, and a little frustrating Farzad was being so heavy-handily thrust into helping. He first gave a long sigh, then turned into a cry of frustration before he dropped his head into his hands, shaking back and forth before looking up and straining as he pulled his face back.

"I shoulda kept just saying I was a thief..."

He dipped his head back as his leg bounced with therapeutic motion. "All right. Look. I'll see what I can do. But in the meantime, have you guys considered just leaving. Sometimes a fight is lost and it's okay to leave." Farzad met them with a bounce to his step, before everything seemed to sink. His words like they rolled through molasses, dragged out, and partially drowned in the thick rolls of emotion that had just bogged him down.

"Tell me where they're hiring. I don't need extra corpses for the cavern. So stay behind."

" Cantor of Alliria?" She echoed. "It must be nice that the whole city chose you as their representative."

The corner of her lips quirked upwards. There was nothing cruel in the sarcasm. At least one of the guards had been stupid enough to take the ruby away. If there was going to be fallout from that, she hoped it wouldn't be soon.

"I am Desmene, of no one who saw fit to give me a title," she replied. "Vibrant or not, this place seems to be rather concerned about visitors. I suggest we stay together. I can protect you that way..."

She saw no need to explain why she was here. She wasn't about to entrust that information to a complete stranger. Desmene was only here for the adventure, for newly discovered ruins. There were treasure hunters who had no qualms about slitting throats in the night to maximize their own profits.