Private Tales The Tiger Teaches the Young

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Haily gratefully let Sung aid her in preparing the room. They removed the dust clothes and she proceeded to light the fire. After that was done she stood up, "I will return with fresh bedclothes and wash water. Do you require anything on my return? shall I take anything to be washed?"

___________________________________________________________________________​

While Hailey attended to Sung's needs Titus returned to Myrcella. He once again took up the tea set incase she wanted more... But for the time being, they were alone.
Myrcella just had a lot dumped on her head, so he remained gentle and didn't push her to speak of it, instead becoming part of the scenery as he was trained to do and simply allowed her to think.
He could imagine what she must be thinking about... Her father most likely... While her father would certainly have had an answer, Titus couldn't say that the decisions of Lord Bochanan were always the best... or at least always right... But insofar as Myrcella was concerned, her father could be her role-model, or her warning.

• Yay
Reactions: Sung Chei
He thanked Haily for her attentiveness, "no, I don't require anything. Thank you very much for your work Miss Atrius, I very much appreciate it."

He spoke truthfully to the woman. He had pulled from his bag a single scroll of yellow paper. He spread it out on the empty floor in front of him as he sat in the lotus position before the fireplace. He began to read from the scroll, and if Haily were to look at it, she'd see a language known to noone who was native to the continent. It also had a few illustrations, showing various stances and weapon forms.

• Yay
Reactions: Titus Phane
((Sorry! It didn't tell me that there were posts...again...))

Myrcella was indeed deep in thought when Titus Phane had returned. Her thoughts went in circles, repeating over and over again while she searched for any further insight or answer that she could have missed. But always she came up with the same ones.

She finished her tea and then set the cup down, now realizing that Titus was there. "I'm keeping you from preparing for the funerals, aren't I? You don't have to stay." Although she wanted him to. Yet he had his own duties as well.

"My Father would probably make examples of them. But they aren't one of ours, so that wouldn't really do much good. So perhaps....perhaps I should take them into town to the authorities...." Of course she was thinking out loud. But Myrcella turned to look at him all the same. "What do you think?"

Sung Chei

Titus nodded as she asked him for advice, "I believe in mercy, my Mistress. While making them an example may help deter other bandits from making off with our property, such an action also reflects on you and will shape your reputation as an authority figure. Giving them over to the local authorities they will probably make them an example as well, but removing their fates from your shoulders."

He wiped a small drop of tea from the platter with a handkerchief. "If you are asking for my official opinion, I suggest you follow your heart and do what is best for the estate and your family...
Off the record, I personally feel responsible for those men, because of my mercy they were spared and now find themselves captive and questioning how long they will live. If they were for some reason given the chance to make amends for their crime, I would take it as my responsibility to watch them and help them adjust, putting them to appropriate labor to pay off their debt."

Titus offered an encouraging smile to Myrcella, and it was genuine. He had been thinking of this outcome since they captured the thieves and were transporting them back to the estate. But it wasn't his place to presume or suggest out of turn what they should do, recognizing that she was the authority on the matter and that it was her decision in the end.

Yes, she had her reputation to think about. And it wasn't just at home, but elsewhere as well. People would be looking to see what kind of leader she could be. There'd be plenty of judgements made by everyone. Some would agree, some would disagree. And some would be disappointed.

Myrcella looked to Titus Phane as he gave her his suggestions, including his own personal opinions. "Would you have them...replace the staff that they had killed? How long would one have to serve to fulfill such a debt?" If it was stolen money that'd be easier to calculate. Here it was stolen lives. "And do you even think that they could be trusted?" How much access would they have? How much anger would they have? Would they still want to kill?

At least they had Sung Chei to help keep any dangers at bay.

Titus was thoughtful again, "I might have them work cleaning stalls at first. They may never be able to pay off the debt they owe to use for killing some of our own. But they need to be somewhere I can watch them closely."

He looked into Myrcella's eyes, "As far as how far we can trust them... The only answer I can offer is that you trust me on the matter. I will be responsible for any further trespass they commit, and I'm willing to receive and deal out punishment as needed for any transgression."

He held his gaze locked with hers, "If you will allow it, my mistress. Please let me try to save them."

It was around this time that Sung Chei had returned to the room unnoticed, and observing the two. He didn't know many details, but it was clear to him the Lady Bochanan was intent on sparing them. Very good, now he knew a little more about her, he could teach her that much better for it. He continued to observe, wanting to see more if he should decide to involve himself.

• Yay
Myrcella's eyes were filled with worry. It wasn't as though she didn't trust Titus Phane . That couldn't be further from the truth. But who she didn't trust was them; the thieves that tried to steal their horses and killed some of their staff.

But Titus' eyes almost pleaded with her, asking for the chance to prove himself and his own judgement. This was a test for the both of them. And neither of them wished to fail.

"Alright, Titus. I will allow you to look after them. But please keep me informed on their progress and their activities. I want to be sure that we are all safe." Most especially in their own home.

For the moment, with her attention all on Titus, Myrcella wasn't aware that Sung Chei was nearby.

Titus bowed to her. He knew that this was the irresponsible thing for a noble to do. To allow something like this to happen and to spare their lives, risking more danger and harm to come on her household. But he was glad she allowed him to do this. This was a way to show Myrcella that there were other options than what tradition would have them believe.

Now Titus had to do all he could to not betray her trust.

Power... It was a dangerous force to wield. But it was a force that she had nontheless. She was essentially the head of this household. Her mother was in her own world, her brother nowhere to be found, her sister gone too...

It occurred to Titus that she was in a position to deny the last will of her father until such a time as is sensible to not allow her father's legacy to fall into ruin.
Some nobles may question this, but if Myrcella could prove her strength then none would challenge her descision. Which is another reason why he cannot fail either, any who heard of it will definitely question her powers to lead if she cannot handle three bandits.

"By your leave, mistress. I will inform the staff and make preparations. I will inform the bandits of their fate in the morning."

As one who tried not to speak unless it was necessary, he remained silent and let them discuss. He gave her his council and she listened to it, she had spared their lives. He watched as Titus left the room to inform the staff of the new additions to their numbers. While Sung Chei stepped up to Myrcella and bowed. "I have come to ask which time of day and which day you wish to begin your training."

Myrcella nodded as Titus Phane asked to leave. "Good luck." Informing both the staff and the bandits could go badly. He had a busy night ahead of him as well as the next day. And with so many duties for him already, she wondered just how he was going to manage. He would find a way though. She had trust in that.

Her attention then turned to Sung Chei as he spoke, clearly surprised that he was even there. Though his inquiry gave her the purpose for this visit. "Would after breakfast tomorrow be too soon?" If she could wake at a decent hour, then she'd be all prepared and full of energy for training. Myrcella wasn't known for getting up early. She loved her sleep and tended to be awake at night longer than anyone anyways. Some of her best paintings were done at night.

"There is no such thing as too soon when it comes to training. Most from my country who train extensively begin from the age of six. To put it simply, no, it would not be too soon, besides, the initial introduction to the martial arts is more of an evaluation. I would be trying to determine which weapons would best suit you." He explains.

Titus was busy, even though it was late and the sun had dipped below the horizon. He took it upon himself to personally inform all the staff of his plan, a few called him crazy, but they also knew him and the kind of person he was. Some of the older staff members expressed concerns about them plotting a theft or sabotage or even murder in the mansion. Titus had been considering this as well and wondering how he would deal with it. First and foremost he had a duty to protect his mistress, but in his heart he had faith that everything would work out... He just had to pray and do what he knows is right... And be clever in addition to this.

He would speak with the thieves in the morning, then he might have a better sense of what kind of people they were and where he could put them to work. He was confident in his own abilities to handle them should they try anything, but there were always surprises, and so he had to make sure everybody on the mansion staff knew their roles. The thieves essentially had to be trained at first, like dogs. Providing reward for good behavior and punishment for bad behavior. And all the staff had to know and be willing to do this, otherwise their treatment will be inconsistent and ultimately fail.

Once the staff were thoroughly instructed they all continued about their evening duties. Titus went with a maid to prepare Myrcella's room, bringing up a fresh teapot and making sure all was ready for her to sleep. The evening brought a sharp chill to the room, so he closed the windows and had the maid stoke up the fire.

After he had established a proper time and location for the Lady Bochanan to begin her training, he let her be, returning to the room he had been given, pondering what kind of weapons he could train her to use, that she could carry around without it looking out of place. The first to come to mind was a fighting-fan, a handfan made from plates of metal that were sharpened at the top, so that when open it was a dangerous cutting weapon, and a fast but deadly club when folded. It was quite favoured by warrior ladies and female assassins in his home country.

After all was arranged with Sung Chei , Myrcella headed off to her bedchambers for the night. Today had been a real trying day and there was much more to do in the next.

By the time Titus Phane had arrived with one of the maids, she was already dressed in her nightgown and sitting in bed. A book rested on her lap as she was propped up against her pillows with the covers drawn up to her belly.

"I'll have fight training in the morning after breakfast. So I can't be allowed to sleep in too much. Yet I still hope to get enough rest." She closed the book and put it on the nightstand before picking up the cup of tea and cradling it in her hands. "I will have to remember to tell him that I do know archery. Maybe that will help?" Titus knew more about fight training than she did. So of course she looked to him for answers.

Sitting at the desk he had been provided, he looked over the catalogue of weapons, a small scroll detailing and illustrating various weapons and explaining their use, the bow that was listed was a composite bow, a short but powerful bow that could be shot from the ground or horseback. Luckily, he knew how to do just that. He was well learned, but to the proper teachers in his home, he was still just a student, a child.

Titus nodded to Myrcella. Changing her sleep schedule hasn't been a concerted effort before, but if she was dedicated then she could definitely do it. Titus could even help her in that regard by serving her breakfast at the proper time along with her mother and the rest of the staff.

Training from an eastern warrior was a privilege indeed, if their legends were anything to go on, and Titus did put a lot of store in the legends he's heard.
"If you really want to rise earlier I can bring you your morning meal and wake you up at first to help reset your sleep pattern, if not me then one of the maids can do it. With your permission of course."

"I think informing him of your skills will be a big help to him. I don't know what sort of training he will give, but I imagine he will want to assess any skills you might already have and adjust appropriately."

Titus spoke truly, then he'd have a good idea of what to start out with, because she didn't have enough free time to start from scratch like most would have to, this meant that she'd have to take longer to get to the higher levels of skill than normal. But he'd still have to start with the basics, so she wouldn't be holding a weapon for a while. And after he determined what weapons he'd build each of them up to, he put the catalogue scroll away, and left for the fields just outside of the estate to work on his own forms. And maintain his flexibility.

Myrcella nodded a little. "It may be quicker for me to eat in here than with my Mother. It might be better if she didn't know that I was awake and training. I don't want her to worry." She sipped her tea and looked to Titus Phane , wondering at just how much duties he could pile onto himself. "You have more duties now. I'd hate for you to overwork yourself. So it's quite alright for you to delegate some of your smaller tasks to another." That was the permission she felt that she needed to give him.

Again she nodded at Titus' suggestion of her telling Sung Chei about her archery skills. It was better for him to know that she was good at something instead of being fully sheltered. "I will tell him, thank you. And try to be careful around those thieves. I'd hate for them to hurt you."

• Yay
Sung was going through the motions of his newest form. It was long, complicated and difficult to preform but he did it anyway, correcting any of the mistakes that he made, having had to hone in on that particular issue as he taught himself the things that his master could not. He stayed there for a while, practicing his strikes, blocks and kicks. He would oftentimes find a vertical surface from which he could leap to get greater height and stronger kicks.

• Yay
(Sorry, Christmas.)
Titus smirked a little and bowed his head to Myrcella, "Very well, I promise not to neglect my duties as your butler."
He lifted his head and took a more serious tone.
"I should inform you of the plan we have in place for dealing with our new guests. It may be difficult, but we must strive to treat them like any other servant of the household, if we treat them as either special or dangerous they will see the contrast with how the normal staff is treated and they will know that they are being targeted. Consistency across the board with everyone is crucial to this... For lack of a better word... 'Experiment' to work. I will handle punishment or reward as appropriate for each day they are here."

He paused for a moment. There was something else that's been on his mind for a while, but he wasn't sure if it was quite his place to bring it up, and he was also cautious with the maid present who continued about her duties.
"Mistress... May I ask what your plans are in regards to your betrothal?"

Down in the garden where Sung Chei was training; a young girl watched. She was one of the staff that tended the garden and she often went to the garden to pray. She didn't look much older than fifteen and she currently wore a night robe and coat. Her fair blond hair which was up during the day was now down and free in Golden curles around her shoulders and cascading down her back almost to her hips.

She watched in awe as the easterner practiced with acrobatic flips and leaps off the garden benches and walls. Her hands clasped in front of her as she watched the display of martial power.

Sung Chei would stop his momentum almost effortlessly when he saw the girl observing him. He stood up in a neutral stance and spoke. "I hope that I am not in the way of anything."

As he spoke he set his weapon against the wall of the house before approaching the young girl and offering his hand in greeting. "Might I inquire your name young one?"

• Yay
The girl shook her head apologetically when she realized she'd been discovered.
"No, you've not interrupted anything at all! I normally just come here to pray. But you were quite impressive, Master Chei!"

She took his offered hand, "I'm Sonja, an apprentice gardener for the Bochanan estate."
She looked down for a moment before looking back at him.
"My brother was Innian... One of the stable hands that died today... I just had to thank you... For helping. More would have died without you."