Quest The Return

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar
Lia glanced at Kaska for a moment. Old Habits?

No, Kaska was smarter than that. At least Lia thought so. Her fingers tapped against the top of the table for a moment, her eyes swinging over the elf as she considered him.

"She's right." Technically speaking. "Neither of us are 'senior', we just happen..."

Her fingers tightened. "We just happened to get promoted."

Was that part of it? Part of the plan? Lia was a Lieutenant now, a step away from being a major. Kaska was a Sergeant. There weren't many officers in the Rangers, hardly any in fact. Their numbers total were in the low thousands, and officers were...barely into the hundreds.

Power was tipped to just a few.

Addis nodded before he spoke. "Ranking. But you get my point." He had watched Kaska go after stating she needed something heartier than what she had.

"Now you'll be in charge of more, and along with that, more accountable for your actions. And for those under you." Addis looked to Lia as she thought.

• Yay
Reactions: Lia and Kaska
Kaska didn't return to them. She remained at the bar, burning through that drink and laughing with the tender. The only glance back she did was to gesture where the tab should go, but otherwise, it would appear they had been ditched.

The problem was who wanted them in charge. Someone clearly did.

"Do they want us gone?" That question was more rhetorical than anything else, and came spooled out of her own thoughts. She was so unsure about...everything. Someone was moving pieces around in the Rangers, moving them like a chess set.

She didn't like it.

"I need to know who put Thier up to those questions." She drummed her fingers. "I need to know whose behind all of this."

There, she said it.

Addis waved a hand at the tender after noticing the look he received from that direction. His eyes lingering a moment before looking back to Lia. "Are we going to have to carry her to the horse to get her back?" His comment was more concerned than lighthearted.

In response to Lia, he clicked his tongue lightly as he thought. A small frown appearing before he gave her any suggestions.

"Someone knows I was asking, but it might be best if one of you asks Thier about it. Catch him by himself or some such." Addis lobbed the idea to her, keeping an eye on Kaska as she continued her absence from the table.

"Not the brightest lad, but I doubt he would lie to one of you." He shrugged as he took another sip.

• Yay
Reactions: Kaska and Lia
"She'll be fine." Lia waved dismissively.

Kaska had done this once or twice before. Both times she'd been able to walk, and from having spent the last...nearly three months together Lia could tell that this wasn't the same. The Lieutenant wouldn't have been able to say how exactly, but it was. Thus her attention remained on Addis.

"He would if he was told to." Lia pointed out in regards to Thier. "He follows Orders better than a lot of others."

Specifically from higher up. "We'll need to handle it...carefully."

She glanced at Kaska.

Addis didn't reply to her affirmation of Kaska's well being, rather giving the smallest of nods to her as she spoke.

"You would know better than I for that. I only see him when he wants to brush up o the bow." Addis added as he watched her look to Kaska as she spoke of handling Thier carefully. His frown was plain as he spoke.

"You have an idea then?" Addis chuckled.

• Yay
Lia shrugged. "I think someone does."

At least she was pretty sure of it.

"You shouldn't worry, Addis." Lia suddenly rounded back on the man. Her expression was soft, her tone holding none of the edge that it had a few moments ago. "Whatever is going on...it will likely turn unpleasant before it's all over."

Something that was now more than obvious. "You could get hurt if you involve yourself."

Her words could have been construed as a threat, though her demeanor said that it was obviously not. Instead it was a simple statement of fact.

Kaska finished off yet another drink, impressive for a girl her size. And then she left. Without a look back, she let herself walk right out that door ... bumping into the frame as she stumbled past it.

And back onto the road she went, her actions sobering up as she rode. In truth, she wasn't drunk. Lia knew the amount she could handle and it was beyond what she had displayed. But others didn't, and now her breath reeked of her sins.

It was all she needed as she arrived back at the compound, stumbling past the stable boy and towards the dorms.

And demanding knock on a certain door was met by Thier at the threshold. She stood there for a moment, her shirt hanging off her shoulder... Her hair down and wind blown.... Her lips parted and wet. Her eyes locked on his.

And then she tossed herself into those chiseled arms, meeting him in a heated kiss. Their bodies tangled, the door closed.

By morning she would have the answers they needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lia had begun speaking, and had his attention even as his eyes followed Kaska. His eyebrow perked up in amusement when she bumped into the door frame, but Lia not saying anything confirmed that Kaska had the idea already.

Lia explained that what came next would likely be unpleasant, and have a chance for him being hurt if he got involved. He waved off the friendly warning.

"Unpleasant, very likely. I have probably got the attention of who ever is doing this by asking questions. So as far as I am concerned, I got myself into the thick of it." Addis smiled as he finished off his drink. The empty mug making a satisfying clink on the table as he made to speak again.

"My own fault if I get hurt, but I would feel worse leaving fellow rangers alone without offering help." Addis told her plainly.

• Yay
She drummed her fingers, barely watching as Kaska left the Tavern.

Lia was sure of it now.

She had been partnered with the girl for three months now, perhaps longer. Kaska had done stupid things, very stupid things, but she did her best to make up for them. Here she had nothing to make up for, here she was just enacting a plan. A good one, though not one Lia really liked.

"Alright." She answered Addis calmly.

The man had made his decision, Kaska had made hers.

"We need to get back." Lia said quietly. "And be...normal."

"That should be easy enough." Addis chimed as he rose out of his chair and headed for the bar. After paying the tab, he would join Lia for the ride back.

• Yay
It was late morning by the time Kaska returned to her room. As much as she would have liked to pretend last night was all business ... she told herself she stayed through the night for pretense sake.

Yes, that was it.

She hadn't spent the past two months pinning at him from a distance she herself had created. No. This was not a bed she had created, nor wanted to lie.

Another bath was called, the woman trying to drown out the dark thoughts that crowded her mind.

Thier would not end up pinned to a wall, dead.

That's not how sex worked.

It was lunch when she finally rejoined the masses, the woman shuffling through the dinning hall and sitting on her own, her thoughts occupying her.

Lia was the first to find Kaska the next morning.

She and Addis had made it back to the Compound without much in the way of fanfare or problems. Their ride had been uneventful, and as far as anyone knew they'd simply had an enjoyable and relaxing night out.

Before they'd parted Lia had told the elf to find them the next morning.

Like it or not, he was involved in this little problem now. He'd been seen associating with them and had likely asked one too many questions for anyone to be comfortable with him remaining completely out of the picture. For her part, Lia figured it was a better idea to keep him close than to let him run around on his own.

Safer that way for all of them. "Hey."

The Lieutenant said in greeting as she sat down opposite Kaska.

"Hey," Kaska shot back, not much of a greeting herself as she shoveled a bite of stew-soak bread into her mouth.

She ran a hand through her damp hair, barely looking up at her companion as she continued on with her meal as if last night had not occurred.

Addis had done little more than check on his recruits before heading to his own room for the night. He rose a little before the sun, checking his gear before dressing and finding the two in the morning.

"And morning to you both." the elf said cheerfully as he sat beside Lia, his own breakfast before him as he dug into stew and bread.

• Yay
For a few moments Lia didn't say anything.

Mostly because she had no idea what she should say.

Lia wasn't a fool, she knew what Kaska had done last night and where she'd gone. Now it was just a matter of actually getting out of her what she'd actually found out. A breath filled her lungs. "So."

The Lieutenant began.

"What did you find out." Her tone rose as she spoke...but oddly it seemed like her words weren't even really a question.

Kaska's gaze flickered sharply to Lia ... then Addis...

She moved back to her food, taking a slow bite before she deigned to answer the question. "Major Riles." Her attention slowly tore around the room, looking for the Major that ran this compound and the people in it.

"There are eyes everywhere," she said pointedly, looking back to Addis. Lia had been the one to continue speaking with him and accept him in, she had left for drinks.

The precariousness of their situation had not surpassed her. They were inside of this man's own compound after all, it full of men whose loyalty fell heavily to him. Addis appeared to be one such man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Addis continued eating through the mention of the majors name. He had a spoonful of soup up to his mouth at the last part of her comment. His heavy sigh the only reply he would give her.

"Makes sense." Addis waved the spoon in the air for a moment after his bite of soup. "Can't be sheep without a ram." he continued to eat, his demeanor still cheery even with Kaska giving him a hard look.

• Yay
Lia didn't say anything.

She felt her stomach turning slightly, her lips thinning, but she hoped that anyone that looked at her would just assume that was due to the drinks they had all shared last night. For a moment the Lieutenant fidgeted, not quite sure how to take the news that one of her superiors was...

What the hell was he doing? Betraying them? Watching them? To who? Why?

It didn't make any sense. "I'm going to inspect an outpost in the Reach today."

She said it loudly.

"My first act as Lieutenant." She had more autonomy now than ever before, no one could really tell her what to do save for the Lord Commander and of course the Majors, though she doubted any of them would. "Would you care to join me?"

Kaska glanced back at Lia, her face not betraying suspicion or surprise, though she felt both. She pursed her lips and nodded, abruptly aware that they were now facing the very real risk of being separated now that they were back from the mission and under the major's scrumptious gaze.

"It should be done promptly. I fear my father's order home will be delivered at the Major's convenience." It was a pointed statement, expressing this.

His eyes went to Lia when she spoke aloud, and if they had not been looking at him, they would have missed the ever so slight shake if his head. Whether it was disapproval of her speaking aloud or just of the situation, it was hard to tell.

"I could do with some leg stretching. I'll go with." Addis nodded once as he continued to eat.

• Yay
"Today." Lia said quickly.

The Majors could still boss her around, but not if they couldn't find or follow her. She could always pretend to be out of touch, Rangers often ventured off on their own, especially Lieutenants. Lia now had the opportunity to do just that.

She could even requisitions supplies.

"Meet me at the barn." She said standing from the table. "I need to gather some things before I leave."

A frown touched her lips. "Avoid other officers."

Kaska nodded, glancing around for one more cumulative time before dipping her attentions back to her stew. It had been a long time since she had a proper meal and she didn't care to squander it. She knew she'd be given a few days at least to regather before being sent back out, but she likewise suspected her father was growing anxious to have her back in Alliria and inside his jurisdiction.

This could all wait, though, for a proper bowl of stew.

She ate it silently, remaining in no mood to chat.

"I'll be at the stables in an hour," she murmured lowly, standing abruptly to push the empty bowl away.

The elf continued to eat, but nodded to both ladies. He didn't respond further at that moment, but he also had food in his mouth. Dropping his bread in the bowl, he gave a thumbs up while chewing still. Avoid officers? He gave a brief sweep of the room as he began finishing the stew. Kaska and Lia both left, and he only stayed a moment longer as he cleaned the last bite and dropped the spoon into the bowl.

Standing, he spun and walked out, the footsteps behind him stopping as he cleared the door. He made quick work of collecting his weapons and gear. Leaving his room, whether is was caution or something else, footsteps from around the corner made him double time it to the barn.

• Yay