Fable - Ask The Quiet One, The Angry One

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Character Biography
Link
Dianthe was enjoying the time she had spent at Asemir's guest house. It was beautiful, and secluded. It was close enough for her to engage with other fae, practice how she spoke to others. Though she was demure, and had been a part of the courts before, it was still a culture shock. Millenia spent away from people will do that to you.

She had dressed modestly, for today she was set to meet Midir on his promise to her during the hunt. She still felt embarrassed, she had come off as a harlot, and that had not been her goal. So naught but a simple baby blue gown and a silver chain that hung from her neck adorned her. Even the flowers that graced her hair normally were not present.

She traveled to the ley in her mountain lion form. The thrum of magic always invigorating. She emerged easily, shifting back and smoothing her gown. The Autumn Court, a sight to behold.

Midir

• Bless
  • Sip
Reactions: Asemir and Midir
Midir watched the two seasonal faeries as they danced with one another through the clearing in the wilds he had arranged to meet Dianthe at. One was the personification of Autumn itself. Her hair was a vibrant red and her dress nothing but autumnal leaves in shades that ranged from gold to burnt rust. Her partner was the personification of winter. Her skin was as white as snow and her hair the blue of frozen water. She chased her friend and everywhere she touched the autumnal leaves that remained fell. The Wilds they left behind shivered in the cooling air.

It was rare to catch a sight of them and Midir found himself oddly humbled by the whole experience.

He was so mesmerised that he almost didn't catch the change of the air that signalled the ley lines were opening and without taking his eyes off the pair of faeries he motioned Dia to be quiet and to watch the dance. The two were so caught up in their own world they didn't notice the Erlking nor his guest and continued on for another twenty minutes turning the Wilds to their winter, barren state.

When they finally left he let out a quiet breath.

"It has been thousands of years since I last saw the Seasonal Dance."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Asemir
As Dianthe stepped forth from the ley, she immediately noticed Midir still and unmoving. In fact, the only time he moved was to gesture for her to remain quiet and her gaze followed his to the two seasonal dancers.

She repressed a gasp at the beauty of it. Certainly it was not a sight that was seen often. She stood as still and unmoving as the Erlking, her eyes following every movement of the dancers as the wake of the start of winter was left behind.

It went of for a bit longer, and she couldn't remove her gaze from the scene. Finally they finished their dance, and quickly wiped away tears from her cheeks as Midir spoke. "That was beautiful, in all my time I've not seen anything like it." Her voice was soft, hesitant. She had seen two moods from the Erlking already, and he was already presenting a third.

Midir

• Bless
Reactions: Asemir
A faint curve of his lips was the closest he gave most when it came to smiling.

"The last time I saw the Seasonal Dance was on a visit to the Dawnish Court when Spring was passing into Summer... It was very different. I think they all have their own unique relationships," Midir wasn't even entirely sure what species the Seasons were. Fae, naturally, but what race? He had only ever seen four like it and the records seemed to back up his suspicion. His gaze lingered on the spot where they had disappeared before he shook himself out of his thoughts and finally turned towards Dianthe to offer her the proper greetings and hospitality. There was a low bow and then he offered his arm with another of those ghostly smiled.

"I thought we could start our tour with the outer regions before I show you the city itself."

Dianthe waited patiently as Midir was lost in reverie. She noted how his smile never quite seemed to reach his eyes. It made her a bit sad, did he choose this loneliness for himself?

She returned his smile, hers full of life the spark of happiness never quite leaving her eyes. They were opposites, completely and utterly. She returned his formal bow with her own proper greeting to the Erlking.

"That sounds lovely." Indeed she would appreciate the nature, and the seclusion anyways. Though she did have slight trepidation over being alone with the Erlking after the Wild Hunt incident. Still, she took the offered arm, and gave him another smile. "I appreciate the time you're taking to show me your court." Certainly he had better things he could be doing.

Midir

• Popcorn
Reactions: Midir
"My behaviour was... unacceptable the other night. This is the least I can do."

Unacceptable was being too merciful to himself in his opinion, but he deserved it for not taking her up on her offer. The Wild Hunt and the magicks it generated and fed him could very well have seen him take her up on her kind offer. But that ending had a far, far darker ending. It was not just mortal women who had died in his bed. Asemir would have likely killed him if he had hurt his friend.

"I hope it didn't make you reconsider your wish to rejoin the world."

Dianthe blushed as he inevitably brought up the other night. It had not been a good moment for her, and she was hoping they could go without talking about it. That was not the case it seemed.

"I should be the one to apologize for throwing myself at you like I did. I will admit, the effects of alcohol after several millenia without encouraged such forward behavior."

She had regretted it the moment she had offered to share a bed with him. That was not something she ever did lightly, though she knew other fae did not restrict themselves in such a way.

She laughed softly at his comment and glanced at him. "I will admit, I nearly did. I ran all the way home, only to be dragged back by Asemir. He's very persuasive that one."

Midir

• Smug
  • Sip
Reactions: Midir and Asemir
He supposed persuasive was one word to describe his brother.

It wasn't the one he would use.

"I'm glad that he did," Midir replied smoothly, belying none of his inner thoughts. "Solitude is a lonely thing and I've seen fae who have gone for so long without the company of society that the very thing they left to regain becomes broken," many of their kind lived extraordinary long lives and the weight of that life could get too much. The older fae tended to put themselves into a Sleep in a secret location to stave off the Mind Mists that would come for them. Others decided to go off to find themselves or mend a part of them broken under the years of strain. It was a careful balance to walk though. Too long alone could return a fae more broken than when they left. Midir himself kept tabs on his courtiers who left for a span of time alone to ensure that when it came close to pushing that balance one way he could intervene and bring them back.

"How do you find the Dusk Court? My brother tells me you are staying with him."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dianthe Cyrene
Diathe took in the nature around them as they walked. She could feel thrum of life even as winter threatened to put the plants to sleep. She could feel the animals hiding from Midir's approach, though soom deemed themselves brave enough to poke a snout or an eye out to glimpse at Dianthe. The threat of the Erlking keeping them from approach.

"Indeed, loneliness begets sadness and longing. I've seen the slumbering fae, tucked in the secrets of the forest. Some will never wake again."

She smiled wryly as he questioned her about the Dusk Court. "I find it well enough, though I've quickly realized it is no home for me. Asemir has been a gracious host, but is quite occupied of late it seems. I hope to settle somewhere comfortably soon, so thay I don't have to rely on him."

Midir

• Sip
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Midir and Asemir
Midir stalked by her side like a silent reaper. The world around them knew the darkness as much as they recognised his affinity for life itself and the war they waged between one another. He paid them no mind, his focus entirely Dia's as she spoke, nodding in quiet agreement until she was done.

"Your own space, I can appreciate. It is why when Winter comes I travel elsewhere," he glanced up at the canopy above. The two dancing fae had already played their part in this neck of the wilds and the thick luscious jungle looked as barren as a jungle could. Everything seemed... muted. Sleeping. "Autumn is beautiful every season but whilst I love my home, this Court, it is a place I am seldom allowed to be alone," he smiled faintly.

"There are plenty of small towns across the Wilds if the larger cities do not interest you."

The world around them was muted and quiet as they walked. The air had begun to turn crisp, the seasonal fae already making their pass ahead of them.

"I can understand the need to separate yourself, you have a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. Everyone needs something from you at all times. I imagine it gets weary, the crown of an Erlking."

She couldn't tell if he was enjoying her company or not, but it didn't matter. More and more she pondered Autumn and what it had to offer her as a fae. She would not be so hasty this time, there were other courts to visit still. "I will have to consider carefully where I do decide to make my new home, whether it is city or town. It is something that I will ponder a while before deciding I think."

Midir

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Midir
Midir nodded his head as gravely as he might if the topic of discussion was one of military tactics or the logistics of the Hunt. A Court was more than just a place to rest your head. It was an identity and it asked for much in return including its loyalty. When people knelt to kiss his ring and pledge he always asked them the same question. More people than they would likely want to admit had turned their tail and backed out there and then. But that was how he had ended up with the Court he had today. Aside, of course, from his own son.

"You should visit them all before you decide - Spring, Summer, Winter. Perhaps even Dawn," his lips twitched at the amusing thought and he very pointedly left off the Night Court at all. Only a woman without her sanity went to the Court of Nightmares. "Much has changed since you left society and... places may not be what you remember."

The thick vegetation suddenly gave way to a series of pools and waterfalls each one larger than the next. The falls were not strong so the noise was not deafening. Instead it looked as though the pools simply spilt a bit of their water into the one below as though disturbed by someone moving within its depths.