Private Tales The Pointy End

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Sounds great," she said as the dreadlord turned and walked off. She noticed only just after that he had left his sword on the ground. Briefly, she debated running after him or calling out but instead she scooped the blade up and carried it back to her bunk. The inexperienced soldier could always return his weapon at tomorrow's training.

She made her way past the a few tents that some of the scouts used so they could be up just before dawn. Ducking under a lower hanging flap she snuck into the mess hall to get her daily rations. The Anirian Guard was fed a nourishing meal of dried meats, bread, and usually some locally grown vegetable. When they were especially lucky the scouting teams would return with a deer or some other animal and they'd get to eat fresh meat. Regardless, the food was dull and the same as always but still filling.

Once she arrived back at her bunk hall she placed Talus' sword on the ground and slept immediately. The day's training had left her entirely exhausted.

After awakening and completing her regularly assigned duties Colette made her way to the training ground. She wanted to ensure she wasn't late as she had been the day before. To her amazement she actually arrived early, beating Talus by just a few seconds this time.

As he approached she waved towards him. "Hello! You, uh, left your sword yesterday. I brought it back for you today." She held the blade out in his direction as he came nearer.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
Talus brightened a bit, he'd totally forgotten the blade for most of yesterday, but losing it completely would have been an utter disappointment.

It had been given as a gift, and he would be remisce to be without it. "Thank you."

The young Dreadlords said as he took the sword away from her. He'd already decided that today they would be using practice swords instead of the real blade, mostly so that Colette could fight something closer to the weight of a proper Anirian sword.

He shifted his shoulders slightly and then cleared his throat.

"I've decided on a hobby." Well he hadn't really decided, more he'd found half a dozen options and thought he would pitch them to Colette for her approval.

That would work, he thought.

Colette nodded and returned the dreadlord's blade to him. She was glad to give it back, mostly because it was so heavy.

Her face perked up a bit as he cleared his throat and announced that he had already found himself a hobby. She half expected him to not bring the topic up again. The fact that he was so intrigued he'd already looked into it himself was great news.

"That's great!" she exclaimed with a smile. "What were you thinking?"

She contemplated, briefly, what a person like Talus viewed as fun. Perhaps he would have chosen something practical that could be used in the field like fishing. Maybe something a bit more abstract and intangible like painting or sculpting. Or would he take up gardening and ask her to help him with it as Donric did constantly.

Regardless of choice, Colette stood eager to hear from the major.

• Wonder
"At first I thought about something like Archery." Talus had never really been good with a bow.

The Proctor's had of course taught him the basics, but once his magic had formed and his skill with a sword had become obvious they had mostly abandoned such training.

Of course the idea of trying on his own had come to him, but he'd quickly dismissed it because it was related to war and killing. He'd figured that Colette would likely not approve and thus render the whole thing moot in the first place.

"But I realized that wouldn't uhh...fulfill the purpose." He continued with a frown. "So I went to the library and did some research on hobbies."

Talus had been surprised there were even books on such subjects. "What do you think about woodworking?"

He asked almost sheepishly.

• Cheer
Reactions: Colette
Archery? That could be one of the few things Colette could actually teach him. Unfortunately, it was still related to the myriad of ways he could take down an adversary. And then, yes, perfect. He understood that the whole point was to find something to get away from all this visceral carnage.

As he mentioned research the innocent looking girl’s face glowed mildly. There was a person in there longing to get out! He cared enough about finding something for himself that he actually put effort into finding a hobby.

”I think wood working sounds great!” she responded quickly to cover for his seemingly lackluster confidence. Part of his demeanor was concerning, was he simply looking for her approval?

”I mean, if that’s what you’re interested in. There’s no wrong answer.” Her smile grew as the conversation continued, ”wood working has a lot of applications, you can always improve at it, and you get to be a bit creative.”

It was difficult not to feel slightly smug at his choice of hobby. She knew there was a part of him longing for more than the simple humdrum of soldierly living and this hobby in particular seemed... fitting. Providing him with an outlet of ways to express himself and enabling him to create practical items while he did so.

• Cheer
Talus nodded, pleased that he had at the very least chosen something that worked.

The decision had not been an easy one, and he was glad he would not have to return to the library. The people there were...odd. He didn't like it. "Excellent."

He said with no small amount of confidence.

"I have a book for it." Though they Archivists did not exactly like it when people took books from the Grand Library, it wasn't easy to deny the request of both a Dreadlord and a Major in the Anirian Guard. "I'll start sometime tonight. Apparently all I need is a knife."

And he had plenty of those.

A book? So he was serious about this. Colette couldn’t imagine the Major stepping foot in a library, much less checking out a book.

”I’ve never done any woodworking myself, but, yeah... just a knife and wood sounds about right to me.” Her back straightened, neck bent to-and-fro, as she tried to stretch before their next training session.

With a mild hesitation to her voice she mentioned,”you should let me know how it goes tonight. I think it’s great for you to find something you enjoy.”

It was true. Colette refused to believe that Vel Anir would force him to serve for the remainder of his life. He needed a passion, for his own sanity. And, so that he could see there was a life outside of what was expected of him.

• Sip
He nodded. "That I will."

It was an odd thought, the idea of doing something just for the pleasure of doing it, but he had made a promise and would follow through.

Briefly he wondered how Sierra or Hal would react to finding out he was doing such things. Fen probably would have laughed at him, though Talus hadn't seen his former mentor since that situation with Velath Sunborn.

"We're using training swords today." He told her. "That should help you with the weight."

It would certainly be better than the dwarf blade.

• Cheer
"What made you pick woodworking?" Her question was born out of general curiosity. Had something happened at the academy he trained at to elicit such an interest? Was it just the first thing that "spoke" to him?

She breathed a sigh of relief at his indication they'd be using training blades. Her arms still ached from yesterday so she was pleased to be using the lighter training swords.

"Thanks, not sure I'd be able to go as long as yesterday with the heavier one," she commented as she put her feet back into the position she memorized yesterday. The day prior had been spent on perfecting her foot work and luckily it never seemed like Talus had gotten annoyed despite her slow progress. However, his persistence did seem to pay off when she felt as if she was in the proper form on her first try.

"Is this correct?"

• Cheer
He nodded with a smile. "It is."

It pleased him to know that Colette had actually learned something from their practice session yesterday. He had worried that his lessons had been too harsh and she would not have picked it up at all. Yet her form was good, at least to start out with.

"It seemed the most utilitarian." Talus said with a shrug. As much as he had tried to get away from military skills, he had still felt the need for whatever he learned to be...useful. "The Guard have given me a House."

He explained. "A place to call my own."

The General had said it was a way to tie him down to regular life, to give him a glimpse of being more than just a weapon. "I wasn't quite sure where else I was going to get furniture."

He smiled as he took up his own stance.

• Popcorn
Colette's face was beaming at the confirmation that she had her footwork correct.

She'd been concerned with her lack of progress yesterday. The fact that she never even got close to striking the dreadlord weighing on her self confidence. Knowing that she was in the right position, and on her first try none-the-less, was a good sign. Right? It had to be.

Talus' own stance was assumed as he shared the information that the Anirian Guard had gifted him with a house. It made sense, most of the officers had houses. She was pretty sure. Was his house very large or was it simply a practical size with bare necessities? It'd be rude to ask, even though her curiosity was killing her.

"That makes sense," she admitted, "you'll be able to make a lot of furniture for your home. Drawers, rocking chairs, a nice bed frame. The sky's the limit and you can make all of it your own." Colette realized that if it were her choice the woodwork would have floral or spiral designs. That sounded quite lovely. Would Talus do... any design... for his work? Or would it all just be smoothed wood. Did he think decorations weren't practical?

Curiosity got the better of her as she questioned, "do you have any idea how you want to design them? What sort of patterns you might carve into the furniture?"

• Thoughtful
"I have no idea." Talus said with a slight frown. He hadn't really thought of that aspect.

Hell he hadn't really thought of any aspect.

At the start of all this he'd still thought Colette might say woodworking was too close to Military things because it involved holding a knife. His lips thinned, and for a brief moment he lost the concentration of his stance.

"I..." He trailed off. "Maybe some Dwarf reliefs."

Talus said quietly. "I liked their architecture, the Hold I stayed in was beautiful."

Some Nobles would have stabbed him for saying that.

Dwarves?”

It wasn’t a question full of hate or accusations. It was merely curiosity. Colette had only seen dwarves from a distance. Rarely, in passing, when she went shopping with her parents. She’d never spoken to one or seen their architecture.

Relaxing her own stance she questioned the major, ”what is their architecture like?” From the tales she’d grown up hearing her assumption was that they used bold designs. Possibly intricate in some fashion as dwarves were known for craftsmanship, though it wasn’t supposed to be as sophisticated as Anirian craft. Though, how much of that was bigotry she couldn’t be certain.

• Popcorn
A frown pulled at his lips for a brief moment, a thought running through his mind. "You probably should have attacked me there."

He said quietly.

"Never let an opportunity pass, particularly when you know there's distracting measures." The Proctors likely would have lashed out at Colette herself as soon as she let her guard down, but Talus decided not to.

He wasn't them.

"Dwarven crafts are...simple, but beautifully so." Talus explained. "They have no manors or palaces, but their Holds are just as intricate and large. It's...hard to explain."

Her face formed a frown to match Talus'. They were here for a purpose but she had enjoyed knowing that, for just a brief moment, Talus had cared about something other than military pursuits.

"I'll keep that in mind," she said to his suggestion while adding, "though, it wouldn't be very honorable to attack another soldier before he's prepared to defend himself." She didn't want to score cheap hits, that wouldn't help her improve would it?

She knew that, at some point, she'd be asked to fire an arrow at an enemy soldier who didn't see it coming. She wasn't so naive that she didn't understand warfare. But, for now at least, she had avoided spilling the blood of another human being. A luxury that likely wouldn't last forever.

"You'll just have to show me what it looks like when you've finished. Since you can't explain it," she grinned as she re-assumed her form and prepared for Talus to prepare himself before lunging at him with the practice blade.

• Popcorn
"There is now honor in battle Colette." It was time for a harsh lesson.

He could understand the girls naive outlook on the idea. She had likely grown up being told about Anirian Knights and how one had to fight in a Galant way, but Talus knew better.

Though he was young, he had already seen war, already fought dozens of different foes, and killed more than his fair share. The Proctor's had turned him into a weapon, and he was a good one.

"Doesn't matter if someone ready or not." He said firmly. "You see a chance, you take it."

Even if that chance came at a cost of honor. "Otherwise you might never get another one!"

Before he finished speaking Talus suddenly jumped forward. His blade struck out once, twice, then a third time as he tried to hit her quickly then disarm her of her own practice sword.

• Popcorn
Colette’s face formed lines as her nose scrunched and her lips formed a frown. She’d grown up reading stories or listening to bards sing of the righteous and just Anirian Knights. All the good they do in the world, all the gracious acts they perform, and all of the ways they toiled to keep Vel Anir safe.

She was certain these stories were correct. If they weren’t why were such tales spun?

Deep in thought she opened her mouth to reply until, in a blur of motion the dreadlord charged towards her. The position of his feet allowed her to guess where his first strike would land. It was a trick he showed her yesterday and her blade barely moved in time to clumsily block it.

The second swing came down on her wrist. ”Ow,” she yelped in pain as her practice weapon fell towards the dirt. Without further warning a third swing came, colliding with her shoulder blade. The shock of the final attack sent her tumbling towards the ground.

On her hands and knees the blonde girl spun around and glared daggers at the dreadlord mentor. ”Why would you, I thought we were just having a nice chat and,” her lips shut as she swallowed hard, scooped her practice sword up off the ground, and gritted her teeth once more.

”Right, I get it.”

She stood across from him now, her legs in the correct position, prepared for more sparring. Though now her face was scarlet with anger as her wrist wobbled from the pain.

• Popcorn
Talus flashed Colette a quick smile.

The spike of anger that she felt was a familiar thing to him. He remembered the emotion for himself, only worse. The Proctors had been far more cruel, instead of leaving bruises they had left scars. Instead of tutelage they had offered only mockery.

In a way, he was bettering their teachings. Colette likely wouldn't see it that way, but Talus did not know how else to do this. "Good."

He said simply, then he lunged forward once again.

"Now fight." The Dreadlord spoke as he lashed out with the sword, this time striking towards her lower body and moving to sweep her off her feet.

• Sip
Her training blade swung wildly in her frustration. She knew it was reckless and probably inadvisable but she really just wanted to repay the bruises from yesterday and the ache on her shoulder blade and wrist from today's lesson.

It did not go over well as he seemed to move low, aiming for her lower torso and feet. After failing to parry his blow and having her thigh struck his next movement easily swept her and caused her to tumble back towards the dirt.

Today's lesson was proving to be much rougher than yesterdays. Had she annoyed Talus? Was he just trying to push her to her limits in an effort to get results faster? Or was she just woefully unprepared for swordplay?

"You're so fast," she said with an exasperated tone. Wiping off the dirt from her legs she re-assumed her position and charged at the Major. Aiming for his left arm and then attempted to slash down towards his leg.

• Popcorn
Talus' blade quickly flicked down and then up, deflecting Colette's own practice sword but being force to take a quick step back in order to avoid being hit.

Despite the short amount of time the two of them had trained, she was really taking to the lessons. Perhaps it was the encouragement he gave, or maybe she was just a quick study. Either way Talus was pleased with the progress. "I've done this since I was eight."

He told her as he settled into place just out of her reach.

"And by the time I graduated the Academy I could best most of my teachers." Talus wasn't trying to brag, simply frame the reason for his skill. "The only one who I've never been able to beat was my mentor."

He was still convinced Fenrith had some unseen magic up his sleeve that made him better.

"Since you were eight?" she questioned astounded. She knew the dreadlords began training young, Talus had even mentioned it a few times. But now it truly registered for her. When Colette was eight she would occasionally help her parents with chores but much of her time was spent running around the block with other children. Picking flowers or playing as bandits or learning to read and write. The Major was learning how best to kill people.

Part of her wanted to tell him that it wasn't right. What was done to him. But would that be seditious? Would he assume she wasn't loyal to Vel Anir? She'd grown up being told that these sorts of things were necessary to ensure everyone had a good life. That was why she hadn't complained much when her mandatory service in the guard began.

But, still, it didn't sit well with her.

"Well, I don't expect I'll catch up to you any time soon but perhaps I'll get good enough to at least not be a burden."

She re-assumed her stance and went at the dreadlord again, this time aiming for his ankles before stepping back and immediately re-lunging at his midsection.

• Popcorn
A decent enough outlook at least

Colette had proven to be an excellent student. She wasn't the most instinctual swordsmen, but that didn't matter. The fact that she showed up a second time and was at least continuing to work at it made Talus more than happy.

As she lashed out Talus moved swiftly, taking half a step to the right and batting her sword away from his leg before completing dodging her thrust to his stomach.

This time he did not attack with his blade, but instead squatted low in a single swift stride and grabbed her ankle. With a hard yank, Talus jerked her leg out from beneath her and half dragged her into the air in order to quite literally pull her of her feet.

"Good try." He said as he stood up behind her. "Perhaps we should stop for the day."

She had made quick progress, and he was certain that in a few weeks she'd be a match for anyone else in the Guard.

• Sip
Though she was disappointed that, once again, she’d failed to strike her tutor the sudden grab at her leg forced her to admit what he’d been clever enough to foresee.

Laying on her back in the dirt she stared up at the dreadlord and panted loudly. He’d bested her again and she had the bruises to prove it.

”Fine,” she admitted, ”we’ll call it a day but we aren’t quitting until I land an honest hit on you. I mean it.” For a brief second her azure eyes went cold, nearly gray, as her pupils thinned and her mouth formed a serious gesture. It was a trick she’d learned from her mother’s scoldings and it often worked well on the boys in the barracks. Hopefully it was as successful at inspiring fright on Talus.

”And, another thing,” she mentioned while rising to her feet, ”you have update me on your woodworking.”

That command was issued with a smile rather than a furrow.

• Popcorn
He nodded his head, though showing no sign of fright. "Of course."

It was easy to relent.

By teaching Colette he was fulfilling his own goal. General Ilyena had Ordered him to get to know his soldiers, and as he and Colette had trained he'd noticed more than a few watching them. Slowly but surely they would come to him.

"In your spare time I'd suggest sparing some of the others." He said as he offered her a hand. "They'll be closer to your skill, and besting some of them might do you good."

Asserting her dominance and what not.