Completed The Other Half

Almost like a dog hearing its favorite word, Eli subtly perked up, "And what manner of curse was poor Viego afflicted with?"

A somber look flashed over Eli's features. One day... one day...

"They'd better not wait for me to keel over to fuckin' write 'em. What's the point of becoming legend if you're not around to see it."

• Bless
Reactions: Elspeth Sirl
Oh, had she caught his attention with something?

Elsi offered him a sly smile, "Oh I won't spoil it for you. It's much too good for that. They even have it on the theater roster next month."

She looked thoughtful for a moment and was about to say something else when he spoke up again.

"I suppose that's not always the intent with those things. Sometimes stories happen because someone is in the right place at the right time to record them. Other times they happen in homage or remembrance of one who has passed and their many exploits and adventures."

"One way or another, it pays to have friends who are possessed of literary talent."

"Doctor," a Medic peeked in, face looking pale, "oh there you are. We need you now - the Captain's torn his sutures out again."

"Oh dear, not again," Elsi frowned and stood from her seat, moving to quickly follow the medic but not before stopping to look back in on Elias, "I do hope I have provided some relief for you. If I may ask one small favor ... don't leave without saying goodbye?"

Eli raised a brow. Maybe he could drag that rat Krixus around. That pencil-necked cherry boy certainly seemed the literary type.

Then when they were interrupted, Eli watched as Elsi made for a quick exit. He softly huffed out of his nostrils.

"We'll see," he answered.

She impressed upon him her warm, charming smile before disappearing from sight. Elsi did not return to his presence again for the rest of the day.

The tents were buzzing with activity, perhaps even moreso now that the battle was over. There was much to do to help ready the injured soldiers and warriors for departure from the front, and even more to do to prepare for the arrival of those found out along the trenches and battle lines. Bodies to collect and ID - a gruesome task that Elsi, for the most part, played little part in. But it was her job to manage triage, so manage she did.

It was the afternoon hours when a Nurse arrived to discharge Elias. At his insistent request, a horse was found for him and tied at the hitching post outside.

• Smug
Reactions: Elias
The remainder of his stay went on without any issue on his part, save for his demand for a horse. Elias limped his way to the steed hitched outside and after some awkwardness from the bum leg, managed to mount it. He crossed the camp, soaking in the sunlight. By the time he'd reached the outskirts, where rows of bodies were lined in neat rows along the grass, his complexion had taken on healthier shades from when he'd arrived.

Elias was an especially bad loser and an even worse winner. An all-around poor sport of things. He'd spotted Elsi across the way and made for her.

"Good afternoon," he called out as he approached, and when he came to a stop smugly looked down at the young woman. Eli wore a look on his face that said: See, I always get what I want.

"Indeed?" Elspeth replied as she stood from a nearby body after having carefully covered its marred face with a white sheet. Dozens of dead awaited identification and carting off. Some would be found to still be alive, and that was the only positive mark for this part of the job.

"Well, they managed to find you a large horse at least. I did tell them you were quite tall of stature." The smile she offered him was a bit sour, but not necessarily to the fact that he was on a horse.

Elsi sighed and rummaged through the rucksack hanging at her hip, then stepped forward to offer him a bundle wrapped in loose cloth, "For you," she said, her expression leavening slightly, "I hope you will enjoy it at least a fraction as much as I do."

• Thoughtful
"Oh, you don't have to..." he had started to protest gently, but she seemed adamant in passing the gift off to him. He took it with a small frown and unwrapped it halfway to reveal a hardback book a couple of hundred pages in length (if he were to venture a guess). Elias ran his finger over the letters pressed into the cover as he read the title, "The Winterspike Road."

The Initiate reluctantly stared at it for a breath longer, then rewrapped it and stowed it away in one of the saddlebags, "I'll give it a go."

Not ever having received a proper gift before, Elias wasn't quite sure how he felt about it. Gestures of goodwill and kindness to most Initiates were often met with an awkward response and Eli was no different in this regard. He shifted uncomfortably in his saddle.

"Well, I'm off then. Thanks for everything."

Well, she tried.

Gods damnit, she really, really tried. Elspeth gave her brother a withering sort of smile, wondering if this would be the last time they'd meet. She hoped not.

"It was good to meet you at last, Elias," the Doctor offered as she stood back, "I hope it is not the last time."

She felt the sting of tears in her eyes because she hadn't the courage to tell him who she really was, Elsi turned from the Initiate and moved off, back to work, looking over her shoulder only to watch him after he'd taken his leave.

• Cry