Completed The Night Followed Fast

Larkin nodded quietly as she spoke, he could understand her desire for completion. Still, he knew how such things could really take it out of a person if they did not care for themself first. He admired her desire to push herself, it spoke volumes of the kind of person that she was. He briefly flashed back to his conversation with Kor at the pond, remembering the words he had spoken to Larkin, bringing this girl with him. For what purpose? He wanted to ask Zephyrine about her encounter with Kor, but bit is tongue for now.

"I carry the same sentiments, in all honesty. You and I are similar in that. It is a very good mindset to have. I applaud you for realizing all of that on your own." It was a hard road, the one they had been placed upon. He decided he wanted to help the younger girl as much as she would allow him to. She deserved to breathe without the collar of the Academy wrapped around her throat.

"Alright, if that is what you wish to do, let us go and finish your task." He offered his hand to her as he stood, pushing his plate away barely touched. "I am here to support you in whatever you may need, Zephyrine."

Zephyrine

Zephyrine looked at the finished plate before her, then to the extended hand above her. She took it, pulling herself up with Larkin's assistance and peering up at the male with a small smile. "You know, it's lovely to hear such sentiments." It was better than voicing how this simple gesture felt like an alliance. A start of a friendship.

And Zephyrine liked how having friends sounded.

The final ward was located an hour away on foot, and the night was well on it's way to darkening the skies now that they no longer walked lit up streets. They had torches on them, and weapons, and Zephyrine fished around in her jacket pocket for the map to check it one more time before looking around.

"Shit." She gasped. A glimmer in the corner of her eye drew her tawny gaze upwards, catching the piece of the ward that was weakening the outer perimeter. It was at least six feet above her, and the fractured portion was on a larger scale than the last two. Zeph looked to Larkin, who still held that good-natured expression she knew was not a remnant of their conversation on places they would hope to travel to once they were free from the Academy.

"Can you see that? Not only am I recreating the magic... which was easy when I could feel the threads that were coming undone... but there is a large patch right in front of us that is just..." Her hand went out to touch it, as if feeling the missing pieces. Nothing. She chewed her lip and began to think. "They did this on purpose." She concluded.

Magic was alive, and here she was being able to recreate it, but magic also had a unobstructed path in it's energies. It was easy to read, to understand, and to find the pieces to put it back together... but to recreate the magic that it was her own, and not already standing? No. She wouldn't falter just yet, especially in front of Larkin. If he caught scent of her doubting how much energy this would burn through, he would most likely haul her back to the city.

"This might take me a little bit to figure out." She warned, stuffing the map back into her pocket and placing her torch on the gravel that made up the road they had followed. "I never thought they would test me in making my own wards." She tried to sound as if it were an easy task, but to recreate magic that was not her understanding? Was it possible?

Either way, Zephyrine intended to be here until she knew that answer to that, and she only accepted perfection.

Larkin

Larkin gave her a smile as she took his hand, allowing him to pull her delicately to her feet. She was younger than him, not as versed in the world as him, not by her design. The academy likes to keep its secrets close and dear, he was glad they had let her out into the world. It would allow her to grow in leaps and bounds, more than she ever could in seclusion.

"I'm here if you need someone, someone that won't try and prove a point with birds." He subtly let her know he knew what Kor had done, and what he was capable of. It was something they could discuss after all this was said and done.

-------------------------------------------

They had been on the road for quite some time, the darkness beginning to consume them in its vast cocoon. They were quiet for the most part, aside from Larkin and his soft humming. He wouldn't have been surprised if Zephyrine had kindly told him to be quiet, for the constant humming did tend to bother others.

Her exclamation and gaze drew his eyes upwards, puzzlement written on his features. His golden eye gleamed in the darkness as the rip appeared before him. He was unhappy with how they were testing her, it was likely they would push her too far, that it would cause grave damage. He was learning though, that Zephyrine did not want to appear weak and vulnerable to anyone, and she would never give up or quit unless there was no other alternative.

Larkin crossed his arms and nodded in the encroaching darkness. "If you need anything, or if I can help in any way please do let me know." He was slowly learning how she and her magic learned, and it fascinated him all the more. "The academy is notorious for pushing too much, testing too much. I admit that I am not surprised. Even though it's run differently, does not mean that it has really changed. Just look at last years graduates."

Zephyrine

• Bless
Reactions: Zephyrine
A set of wooden blocks appeared before the rip in the wards, and Zephyrine put a boot onto each and climbed so that she may stand at it's height. "I grew up at the Academy... I do know what they are capable of... but it is like you say. Things are different now, but we are still forged weapons." There is now a choice if one wished to attend the Academy, but those that have called it home... were never really given an option of leaving.

If you left, then you would leave Vel Anir.

"So... then I take it you have met Kor?" She asked, turning to look at him before facing the warding again and placing her hands to get a feel for the magic. It's energy was alive; an ever constant thrum of heat and power that sung with her own magic. "And heard about my first encounter with him." Larkin would still see the faint scars on her arms if she pushed the sleeves up, would see the scratches at the back of her neck that healed and left a silvery cross. The sound of flapping wings still made her cower or her heart race, but her ability to work and train with Kor had improved.

Larkin

Larkin fell silent as he watched her slow and careful ascent. It certainly was nifty, what she could do. She was useful, more useful than most he would say. Able to recreate almost anything, just needing the material to feed off of. Maybe one day she would surpass the need to even use material. I would certainly make her travel slightly easier.

He crossed his arms at the mention of his name, his encounter hadn't exactly been pretty but it didn't result in scars. "I had a visit from him myself, yes. He has quite the knack for pushing buttons, doesn't he?" He could see the ward reacting to her, inviting her to weave it back together. "I've agreed to go with him, whatever that means." He still knew little of bird boy, but he had gotten to Larkin. That much was apparent. He hadn't spent time with the other boy yet, hadn't seen him since the pond. He knew his time was coming though.

Zephyrine

• Bless
Zeph snorted as Larkin nailed the effect of Kor in one expression.

It was not everyday that she ended up punching someone out of anger, but Kor had pushed her far enough to warrant the blow.

Magic hummed as her fingers touched the frayed edges, slowly, so slowly, weaving across the gap and began to recreate what was missing. Her head felt heavy, as if she was already straining herself making small stitches. "
I told Kor I want to learn as much as I can before I deem myself ready to part ways with Vel Anir."

She would learn how to heal. However it comes, she wanted to learn, to understand. Books were not her favourite way of learning, not when her magic could make sense of what was missing. Recreating magic was her hardest obstacle, and the wards were something she wondered if it would be difficult or not.

And right now, she was struggling to keep a cool head.

"Now that I know you will join us, I think the three of us will be alright." Zeph turned back to Larkin, looking worse for wear. She had been too preoccupied with wielding her magic that she did not notice the sweat beading at her paled skin. That her stomach was about to come up and be emptied, and that her eyes had a vacant stare to them.

Her magic was eating her up, but Zephyrine was adamant on finishing her task.

Larkin

Larkin watched her like a hawk, he had been concerned that she didn't rest for a while. Everyone reached a limit, some quicker than others. He was afraid it would be too much, that she would hurt herself trying to prove a point. He understood why she had the drive, but it was unnecessary for her to push this hard. If she fell, would he be quick enough to save her?

"I have no issue leaving Vel Anir behind, this has never felt like home to me. I'm sure there is more I could learn, but I have no interest in letting the academy abuse my power for me." She had more she could provide than he, her powers were greater than his. He had no shame in admitting it, he could do things others could not, but it took time. "Perhaps the three of us should have some sort of meeting, Kor didn't seem to even know what his plan was. I'd like more answers I think."

Zephyrine looked down at him, and his brow creased in even more worry. She looked like she was about to lose her dinner, or faint. Probably both. This was exactly what he had been worried about and she had proven to him that she would push herself way too far for no reason. He pursed his lips in thought, he could help her at least a little. He just hadn't been ready to put his voice back out into the world. For Zephyrine though, and this friendship they were growing..perhaphs it was worth it.

He kept his voice low, the soft warble of song beginning to leave his lips. Music that made time stop, that transfixed those around him. It had been so long since he had felt the power thrum through him.

When the road is long and winding,

And the path ahead is unclear,

There is one thing that I know,

Strength will always be near.

Strength is in my heart,

So I will never fall apart,

Strength within me lies,

To get me through each day and night.

When the storms of life come crashing,

And the waters rise so high,

I won't let fear take control,

I have the strength to stay alive.

Upon completion of his words, Zephyrine would feel the effects take place. Her body would surge with a magical energy for a short time, giving her the burst she needed to stay on her feet. He hoped it would be enough.

Zephyrine

• Bless
Zephyrine felt as if a dam of tears would burst.

She was so exhausted.

"I have no issue leaving Vel Anir behind, this has never felt like home to me. I'm sure there is more I could learn, but I have no interest in letting the academy abuse my power for me."

Her ears heard him speak, but her body began to shut down, missing many of his words. She remained like that, almost lifeless as she swayed atop the boxes she had made. Her magic sputtered, as if trying to reignite itself. Zephyrine hung her head and shut her eyes, concentrating on her breathing.

Was Larkin singing?

Energy coarsed through her the moment silence settled into the late evening, and Zephyrine readjusted her feet before standing tall again. Her magical stitching had paused, and when her fingers touched it to start it again, she could feel that burst of energy burn inside her. Zephyrine inhaled, fingers lightly tapping and testing the recreated magic before exhaling and letting her magic burst.

The force of the completed ward was strong enough to knock her back, soaring over Larkin and rolling into the dirt.

Larkin

Larkin was pleased with the affect his ability had accomplished with her. Zephyrine had been on the brink of falling, a top up of energy had been just what she needed to continue on. He had fallen silent as he released his magic, no longer needing it after gaining the desired outcome from it. Something like this took very little energy on his own part, it was small compared to what he could do.

Even he could feel the intense gale of magic that the ward exhaled upon completion. Unfortunately, it sent Zephyrine flying, something out of his control. He hastened over to check on her, lines of worry on his brow as he reached her. He hovered over her, checking her over before extending a helping hand. "Are you alright?"

Zephyrine

She winced through her bared teeth, clutching her arm that she had landed on roughly. She was sore, cut up a little on the small rocks on the dirt path, but other than that, she was responsive. She exhaled in pain, gasping as she tried to get up and use Larkin's outstretched hand. Zephyrine relied on his strength more than her own, but she was able to stand.

"Argh... that's gonna be a bad bruise." In several places. "Shit. I think I landed really bad on my arm." She was unable to flex it, probably hurting it more than just at the shoulder. "Surely there is a medic back in the city?" Zephyrine did not go to check the wards, not when the pain was stopping her from doing any work. In her mind, she needed to rest before being deemed fit to continue her duty.

"Do you mind if I lean on you on the way back? I think I hurt my knee too." But she could put some weight on it at least.

Larkin

Larkin stood tall and steady as she reached for him. He could tell she was hurting and relying on him probably more than she wanted to. Once she was standing, he looked her over carefully. Zephyrine could bear weight, but he could tell it was painful and hard to deal with. Her arm seemed to get the worst of it, but her knee would need some recovery time too.

"There will be someone to look at you, I'll arrange for a house call when we get back. As for leaning on me." He trailed off before scooping her up in his arms. "It was not a short walk here, and I won't have you stress your injuries further." He wouldn't listen to her complaints, his mind was set. She wasn't particularly heavy, and he would adjust if needed. He felt protective of her, and this was how he showed he cared. The younger initiate needed someone in her corner, and he would happily take up that mantle.

Zephyrine

• Bless
The protest died on her lips as pain caused her to strain through gritted teeth. She could not fight him on it either, and instead relaxed in his arms. She closed her eyes, trying to think of something else besides her aching arm against his chest. "Larkin. Tell me something to distract me. Why did you truly stop singing?"

Tears threatened at her eyes and in her voice, but she pushed past it.

"I felt so calm and reassured when you sang. It is such a gift you have..."
Larkin

Larkin's step faltered for a second as she posed a question that he hadn't been ready to answer. He carried on though, recovering quickly. A sight left his lips, his breath ruffling the hair on top of her head as he held her. It was something he hadn't totally confronted himself yet, even when Kor had brought it up, it had still stung.

"I fell in love with a girl. She had taken my breath away, I had admired her for a long time. Eventually I had the chance to get close to her, I should have known better, her heart had always belonged to someone else. Eventually we became intimate, fatally so. She had the power of the storms at her fingertips, while in bed she lost control of her abilities. She left me to die alone, Zephyrine. My heart still hasn't recovered."

He fell silent, lost in his thoughts. He was grieving still, grieving the scars on his body, his heart, and his soul. He wasn't sure he would ever be able to heal properly, or that anyone could ever actually love him. Despite his easy attitude, the way he cared for others, he felt it was destiny that he might be alone forever. Who would want someone as broken as him, after all.

Zephyrine

• Cry
Zephyrine was not one to console another. It was unlike her to even consider making someone else feel better when she had been taught to weather through it and move on. Larkin spoke so close to her ear, and she was being carried in his arms. Her pain could barely offset his own that hung on his very cadence, and Zephyrine took a moment to choose her words.

"But here you are, Larkin. You have lived. It sounds to me that you could have very well died, but you are strong now. You gave me a boost in power, actually carrying me back to Vel Zrada. I think you do not realise how powerful you may be, Lark." Zephyrine could not be strong enough to hold back a single tear that trailed down her cheek. She winced, groaning at her pain as it spiked and waned from time to time.

"You continuing to live on and show your strength is the only way to show others that you are not to be rifled with."

Larkin

• Bless
Reactions: Larkin
Zephyrine was definitely an interesting girl, he would give her that. Strong, determined, dangerous to herself. It would be wrong of him to ever underestimate her. He could see why Kor had singled her out, he had a keen eye..eyes. Even her words seemed beyond her years, and while what she said may be true, the pain still clung to him, a cloak not so easily shed. He felt it every time he looked in a mirror, every time he held an instrument, even his dreams were infected by it.

He chuckled softly in her ear as he carried her, his steps long and steady. "You may be right, I may yet have a strength I haven't realized. Perhaps more time spent with you and Kor will help me understand it better." It was going to be a long walk, and he knew she was hurting badly. It was a good thing he hadn't expended much in their time together. "Have you made many friends? I know that they kept you in the dark, and thrust you in with us late. Have you been able to adjust well?"

Zephyrine

• Aww
Freinds?

She almost laughed through the pain, but even the idea of doing so was a granted distraction.

"There is a girl named Thraah. And there is Vicky. Thraah is everything I do not wish to be. Fiery, loud, talks too much." She smirked, which soon died into a wince. Zephyrine gritted her teeth and seethed. She growled through them, letting her head roll back as she rode out the pain.

"There are some days I wish I could return to my solitary training, but... Livia Quinnick once said something that annoyingly stuck with me. She said I needed to learn to be a team player. One Dreadlord is deadly, but more? Working together? We can be unbeatable, but only if she can work together." She tensed.

Zephyrine knew that advice, a command at the time she had heard it, had changed her perception of working with other Initiates.
"I didn't want friends in the beginning. I didn't want the possibilty of watching someone be hurt or die... because I don't want to feel a weakness, that uselessness I felt once before." I don't want to be seen as weak. That mindset would never leave her. To show weakness, to show dear.

It would only get you killed... and there were plenty of sharks in the water.

Larkin

Larkin was not totally familiar with Thraah, but Vicky he knew. That girl didn't have friends, how could she when she was so unhinged? Still, Zephyrine must have connected with her somehow, no easy feat. He held her steady as she groaned in pain, trying to hold her still as possible while continuing onwards.

"Livia gave you good advice, I know I wouldn't be much good in a fight without others beside me. I need to have others at my back, for then we are assured success." Larkin didn't necessarily want friends at this point either, though comrades he would accept. Zephyrine was the closest he'd allowed in a long time.

"I understand what you are saying, but being alone isn't the answer. We need others to help us grow and learn. To teach us lessons we wouldn't have learned otherwise." He fell quiet, realizing that perhaps he needed to listen to his own words as well, a smart in the wound it was.

Zephyrine

• Aww
"I just... could not trust anyone for a long time. Kor was the first to approach me, to... coax me into opening up. Of course, that was not his intention... The thing is, I had never felt so alone. Never desired seeking out others until I realised I was worth looking at. He made me feel like... a friend?" She managed a wry chuckle, still unsure of what to class Kor as. Friend. "There was no one to talk to, to tell them how maddening Kor was that first day. I healed my own wounds." Of course, back then they didn't have Proctor Urahil, and Zephyrine never thought to ask the medics.

"But there are days I want to be alone. To be with my friends when I want to..." And she was afraid no one would understand that. Zephyrine could only assume Kor liked his alone time too, and that fact alone made it easier to work with him.

By now the pain was at the back of her mind, yet every now and then it would spike, causing her to wince and groan as she rode it out.

Larkin

Larkin listened intently, she was growing and learning. It was going to come hard and fast, the lessons she was going to learn with finally being social, but Larkin was fully confident she could tread water just fine when pushed. To be able to deal with someone like Kor, well that was a feat in itself. The town was in sight now, not too long and healers would be brought to give the poor girl relief.

"I understand what you are saying. There is nothing wrong with feeling that way. Even the most social butterfly needs to rest from others. I think you will find good balance, and I think you will find more friends than even you thought possible. I just hope you let me stick around so I can see for myself." He laughed softly, he couldn't help but find a care for the girl, he needed someone he could look after, to love in a way that was unromantic, perhaps he had found that in Zephyrine.

Zephyrine

• Bless
She had never been so glad to see the first lights leading into Vel Zrada, and a soft sadness struck her thoughts. She was taken from here when her magic began to materialise... did that mean anything to her?

There was no phantom pull from the city, enveloping the lost child back into the warm embrace of the city.

"Friends can be a weakness." She whispered softly, frowning. It had been instilled into her. To be told that from a young age? It... was now a confusion now that she was responsible for herself and her future. The choice was now her own, and even that alone was baffling. "But... I want to try..."

Larkin

He fell silent for the rest of the walk, the inn at the forefront of his mind. Her words, however, were not lost on him. He quickened his pace, the lights from windows illuminating the way. The inn was in front of him now, and he adjusted Zephyrine slightly so he could open the door, careful not to jostle her too much.

As he passed the innkeeper, he asked for the healer to be fetched, not stopping for any further conversation. Larkin climbed the stairs, doing his best to keep her from too much of the movement, but knowing he was not entirely successful.

Larkin crossed the threshold of her room, laying her gently on her bed. "The healer should be here soon, I'll run down and get you something to snack on while we wait." He turned to leave, only stopping to reply to the whispered words she had spoken on the road. "We were not meant to walk this world alone, life is only bearable if we have others to help shoulder its weight. It might not be the easiest thing, but it is necessary."

Zephyrine

• Bless