Private Tales The Necromancer

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
It took a little while to figure out the code but from then on it was plain sailing and she was soon stood looking at the door of deep darkness. Cali had put the key in her top breast pocket but now she took it out and twirled it in her fingers.

"Where are the others?" she demanded of the voice, glancing around her towards where she felt the presence of the eyes. "You want me to go, I know you do, and I will if you tell me if they're ok or not."

“Oh most of them are okay. One is currently having trouble with Krell but Krell’s lazy, so he’s more than likely to survive. Your white knight is on a tear, I do believe that he scared poor little Mikil off. He’s quite aggressive, and he doesn’t seem to care what attention he draws. He’s either going to get himself killed or make mice out of my beautiful pets. Everyone else is faring roughly as well as you little red bird. But you won’t get any further by standing still. Tick tock little bird, tick tock.”

When she stepped over the threshold, there was nothing special that happened, it was just like stepping through any other door. As she strode deeper, things got more interesting as she came to a single, illuminated spot in the vast emptiness. In it was a cage of bones held together by hardened sinews, and inside was a creature that was a mockery of the human form. Black charred skin stretched over a skeletal, and unnaturally long body. It’s legs and arms were twice a size long as any human’s and it would stand at three meters tall when upright, but in the cage it was motionless, hugging its legs to its chest and its head bowed and limp, it appeared dead. There was no face to speak of, just a bony surface where the face would be with a thin layer of black skin stretched across. It’s only recognizable features were claws on its fingertips and a narrow but impossibly long jaw filled with fangs, in front of it lay a key carved from bone.

Caliane's discomfort only deepened the further in the walked, even though she saw a light in the distance. It seemed her gut instinct was correct when she finally saw what it was the light was illuminating. Her skin began to crawl with disgust for she couldn't even tell if the creature was attempting to look at her. Slowly her eyes ran down the creature and cage and then locked on to the skeletal key in front of it. Was this one of the things she needed? Like the heart one she still had in her pocket? There was nothing to use to try and reach inside to pull it closer to her; she was going to have to put her hand in.

Sometimes when she saw small children come to the healers with broken bones or cuts and when pressed they said they had stuck their hand in something they shouldn't have, she wondered exactly why they would do it.

Guess I have my answer.

Hesitantly she reached inside and grasped the key.

She would find the key well within her reach, and it didn’t seem like the thing in it would move at all. But when she removed the key and looked back at it, it’s once limp head was up, and despite having no eyes, stared directly at her. The light flickered very briefly, and the cage was empty. The thing either never existed, or was now loose. It was in her best interest to run.

"Urgh too creepy," Cali muttered as she pocketed the second key and made a mental note never to take a job that involved necromancers again. When she looked behind her and saw that the creature had gone she grimaced a little.

"Yes, time to go," and with that she spread her wings and took to the sky to make her way back towards where the door had been that she had come through.

When she tried to fly, she’d realize that she couldn’t fly there, and Legion said “tsk tsk, no cheating.”

Then, there was a whispering roar, loud but somehow quiet at the same time. She’d have to run.

It felt like there was tar in her feathers and she grimaces. Despite being able to see they were fine for some reason they felt heavy, too heavy, to fly with. The roar halted her from thinking on it as she began to sprint back the way she had come for the door.

No further sound came, and no sound of something behind her, but there would be no doubt that she was being chased. It wouldn’t be until she fled out of, slammed and locked the door behind her that the presence would leave. And once out she’d find herself outside of the cellar, at the door to the stairs. The corridor was still dark, and now he has had to find her way to the mausoleum, which could be anywhere.

The windows were too black and now that it was raining and thundering there was no way to see outside of them. Then she would hear the lock on the door jiggling, then click, and the door would creak open on rusty hinges, and the monster from the cage would step out, it’s impossibly long mouth open, and released a shriek composed of five different voices, from one mouth. She’d have to run, and flying in an enclosed space was ill advised.

Caliane didn't need further encouragement, her feet were moving before her mind could comprehend fully what was happening. She held her sword at the ready should she have need of it. Scrambling out into the corridor she slammed the door behind her where her magic rushed back to her with a force and she melted the lock on the door to keep it at bay for a little while longer.

She needed to find the others. Taking a few deep breaths she made her way back to the central hall.

When she found herself in the entrance hall, she heard nothing more from the monster. But nobody else was there. However it was not long before she was reunited with Eberwolf, who made quite the entrance. He kicked the door in, one of the side doors leading off into another corridor. He was drenched in what was either blood, lantern oil or a mixture of both. His sword was out, and he carried in his left hand another bone key. Two down, four to go. He strode forth, obviously furious by the way he walked, and called out, "Caliane? How fare you? Chased have I been by monstrosities of unholy conception, I should hope that you have had better fortune."

"I've found two keys," Caliane fished in her pocket and held up both the Heart one and the Skeletal one before putting them back in the safety of her clothes. She patted them to make sure they were still there before she glanced in the direction she had just come. "Only one monster so far for me but I locked it in the cellar. I think I have to go to the mausoleum next, that's what the Legion implied anyway," she tapped a finger against her chin and looked this way and that as if trying to figure out which direction that might be in.

"Have you seen any of the others or found a key?"

"I have a key yes, one carved from bone it seems. If one of those keys has already opened a door for you, then I shouldn't think that it would be one of those that opens the mausoleum, and the crypt after that. I found Flakkir, or what's left of him. His armour was rent asunder and he had no power half. I swear to the lord above that I will flaggelate that damn necromancer with the bones of her precious pets!" He says angrily.

"Oh my," Legion says in response to this, "now you have me worried. I do hope that you will be gentle." She gave another amused giggle, which Eberwolf had learned to hate.

"Listen here witch! For every body of my friends I find, I will remove three of your fingers!" He shouted in hate. "If you come forward now and face justice, your sentence will be void of pain. If you do not, you will suffer a thousand deaths!"

"Now now White Knight, this is not what the game is about. You have four more keys to find, find them, then find me, and we'll see how this plays out."

"I really hate mages," Caliane sighed and then glanced in the direction opposite where Eberwolf and she had both arrived from. It seemed to reason they should scale the other side of the house together for these keys.

"Come on," she motioned to a door at the far end which led to the ballroom. "Let's find these keys and get it over with," and with that she set off and pushed the door open.

Eberwolf was almost blind with hate. His fury making his eyes practically glow. He followed her wordlessly, and he was pissed enough to go toe-to-toe with one of those monstrosities, regardless of how unlikely his survival was.

They would find themselves wandering down another corridor filled with doors, which Eberwolf angrily kicked in, which lead to nowhere important, until they came to the gardens. The gardens were vast, and to noone's surprise, contained a vast hedge labyrinth. Of course, they had to go in.

Once again that heavy limbed feeling in her wings as they approached the labyrinth. So flight was out of the question. It was a horrible sensation, like her wings had been clipped.

"Can't go over it, can't go under it," Caliane murmured softly. It was the line from a children's story she had once watched being told in a square in Alliria. It seemed oddly fitting. "Guess we're going through it," she took a deep breath and stepped in. "Why do humans insist on making these things? I've seen them at so many big manors when flying."

"Why do humans insist on making these things? I've seen them at so many big manors when flying."

“This is a joke compared to the labyrinth at home. Typically they’re a sign of wealth, other times they’re used to test one’s cleverness, memory, awareness and resolve, and in some cases mental fortitude. I had to go through the labyrinth back at the castle, and kill a number of armed criminals put in there as part of my coming of age. I imagine that far fouler things than brigands lie in wait within the walls of this labyrinthine hedgegarden.” He says as he strides forward, “stay close to me, it is easy to get lost in such places.”

At the first crossroads he drew an arrow in the dirt pointing towards the exit. Then he’d continue to make a trail of arrows that would bring them back to the entrance should they need.

Cali had no intentions of leaving his side now they had found one another. Two swords were always better than one, even if she did have the command of fire at her disposal. The arrows were a genius idea though and not one she would have thought of herself. She couldn't deny that the training had apparently paid off when they seemed to keep going and going without hitting a dead end. Unless of course, the Legion didn't want them to meet a dead end.

"I hope the others are ok," there was a touch of worry in her voice. He had said he had found one body already and she hadn't heard a peep out of anyone else in the house. Perhaps they had already found their way out here.

They had met a couple of dead ends and he marked them with an X. He also marked the ways they had already checked by placing a dot be the arrow, facing the side they had checked. So they travelled further into the depths of the infernal labyrinth. “I’m sure that they are doing well. They are tough men, and have seen more of Hell then they have of Earth. I have faith that they are well.”

There was a feeling that hung in the very air, proving what Eberwolf had said, they were not alone.

Caliane was doubtful but she decided to push the thought from her mind and stay hopeful too. As they walked her skin began to prickle and her hand clenched and unclenched on the handle of her sword.

"I wish I could fly,"
she muttered under her breath as she tried once more to lift her wings but they felt heavy and sore with the effort of it. She folded them back against her with an annoyed sigh.

“Try not to think about it. If you focus on what you don’t have, you’ll never see what you do have.” Eberwolf says kindly but without any nonsense or pulling any punches. “Stay alert for anything that may be out of the ordinary.”

Of course, it was right then that the bushes of the maze had to shift, and all of a sudden, the maze was different than it was when they started. “Well there goes the arrow plan.”

"If it's any consolation I thought it was really smart," Cali smiled slightly before stopping. They were just going to go around in circles, especially with the maze now moving. For a brief moment she shut her eyes and then took a deep breath in through her nose and out through her mouth. A small ball of fire conjured in her hands and then after a moment it floated from her hand and began to steadily make its way in a random direction.

"This way - it's heading towards where it senses magic," she started off after the tiny flicker.

“I’d imagine that it would go over the entirety of the maze. I appreciate your sentiment though. And I never knew that fire could do used in such a way, impressive.” He says following close behind. But as they rounded a corner, he momentarily lost sight of her, and as he rounded the same corner, she was nowhere to be found, gone. And once again, they were separated.

"It's not fire, it's a Soulfire, it's like...." she turned and then stopped when she realised she was on her own. There were no curse words per see in elvish but the string of words she said sounded close to it. With a soft sigh she looked back to the fire that was hovering in front of her then tilted her head slightly as if giving it permission to continue. It bobbed along and Caliane followed, the growing unease settling in the core of her bones now.

Eberwolf was put on edge by the sudden disappearance of his partner. He was ready to react to anything with how tense he was, which is to say that he would decapitate anything that surprised him. So he explored, ever watchful, and ever alert. He eventually came to a small chapel, with statues of two winged women on either side of the door, he could only guess that they were enchanted or possibly necromanced into artificial life, or something to that effect.

She would find herself at an entryway to a long, downward staircase, leading into what seemed to be a crypt.