Private Tales The Necromancer

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"I don't really get involved in the politics," Caliane shrugged. She dealt with the Den Mothers and that was pretty much it if she could help it when it came to talking about missions. When she spoke to other Hunters it was never really about work unless she happened to be working a mission with them. She just preferred to keep it that way or she was aware she would be sucked into the dramas that came with Guilds like these. At least he had provided her with his version of the stories.

"Acceptable," she inclined her head when it came to him swapping out for another soldier. She just hoped it was one who had managed to get some sleep already. "Goodnight, Eberwolf."

"Acceptable," she inclined her head when it came to him swapping out for another soldier. She just hoped it was one who had managed to get some sleep already. "Goodnight, Eberwolf."

It was a relief that she didn’t care about the trouble that much. And he nodded in response, “don’t stay up too late Caliane. We need you at the top of your game as well. I’ll see you in the morning.” He says before retiring to his bed, sword out and at the ready in case of trouble.

It proved unnecessary, nothing else bothered them that night. As she had said.

A little before dawn when a few of the men had already begun to stir she made her excuses to go and take a break and went for a small meander through the forest. When she returned it was with a couple of rabbits slung over her shoulder for when they made camp for the evening. She had tied them to her pack so they wouldn't get in the way. Most people seemed to be up now and Cali stretched, rising onto the tips of her toes before dropping back down. She was keen to get moving.

"So where are we off to next?"

"So where are we off to next?"

“We’re headed a little further south, about an hour’s trek. We’lol be camping by a river, in its rapids. So we won’t be facing any trouble from that particular direction. W’ll still need to be vigilant, but we should be safer there than here. Ranger Eryn will be leading us there, he knows these woods well and can bring us there with the most haste. I’ll see to it that he is safe, I need you and Sir Kiriil as our rearguard.

Caliane looked a little uncomfortable at being left with someone and glanced to the mentioned knight and his horse. Elves were fast but if he started galloping through the forests the only way she would keep up was with her wings. With a sigh she nodded and wove her way over to the knight in question.

"A pleasure to meet you, officially," she inclined her head slightly. Cali hadn't been introduced to many of the men in terms of names; she had caught a few of them here and there and always asked when someone passed her something so that she could thank them properly.

"A pleasure to meet you, officially,"

"The pleasure is all mine miss Caliane." He says with a cheerful voice. "I have to say it's a bit of an odd thought to be working with an elf. You're the first one I've met personally. I'm curious..." Kiriil proceeded to release a torrent of endless inquiries into elven culture, languages, magic and religion, and how it would differ from place to place. He wasn't the most tactful man, and if not for his cheerful, curious tone, it might have been rude or offensive, but he didn't seem to notice that he might not be saying the most polite things.

This continued until they reached their destination.

Caliane could only blink three times in rapid succession as he launched into his many questions. It hadn't been what she was expecting but she tried to answer as best as she could on behalf of elves across Arethil. It was especially hard when in truth she didn't have much of an idea how other elves had been living for the past few Ages, since the Avariel's had retreated in to themselves. Most of his questions, thankfully, were basics and she was able to guide him through them with the same patience and calm that had made her mother the Head of Scholars of her kind.

By the time they reached their destination her voice was a little hoarse from her lengthy explanations and she was looking forward to her bed. She would take it over suspicion and hatred any day though.

"I'm going to freshen up a little," Cali canted her head to the side where the river ran then bid farewell and made her way over to the waters edge. Her feet were sore from walking so she peeled off her boots and socks and sat along the river bank with them dangling in the cool water and sighed softly.

"I'm going to freshen up a little," Cali canted her head to the side where the river ran then bid farewell and made her way over to the waters edge. Her feet were sore from walking so she peeled off her boots and socks and sat along the river bank with them dangling in the cool water and sighed softly.

He also wanted to object to this, but he knew better than that. He wasn’t going to put a guard on her while she bathed either. So he just advised her not to go too far, and to call for help if she needed it, while they set up camp. The tents were the closest to the water and the fire on the other side, their flanks were guarded well enough by shrubbery and trees. But he was not about to pretend that they were safe. He had a thornbush fence made around them as a buffer, and something to set alight.

When she had bathed he asked her, “does this seem like it would work?”

"Looks good," Caliane nodded when she returned and took in all the preparation the team had done. She ran a hand through her wet hair to brush the knots from the long red locks. After a moments hesitation she began to braid it back off of her face. Her gaze swept over the camp and then she nodded and looked to the skies. Usually she had been able to do an aerial sweep but today with her patrol partner she had not. Perhaps in the dark of the night it would be better to do and scout out their position.

"I would imagine she'll come find us again tonight with a different game. Perhaps more than humans this time," of course there was nothing to diminish the human dead but it was a lot different than facing a giant skeleton. Animals too were often risen by Necromancers. "Do you have a strategy in mind?"

"I would imagine she'll come find us again tonight with a different game. Perhaps more than humans this time," of course there was nothing to diminish the human dead but it was a lot different than facing a giant skeleton. Animals too were often risen by Necromancers. "Do you have a strategy in mind?"

“I’m working on one, but so far it is to have two people on watch, and have them looking over our thorn wall. The wall can be set alight if we need to. And basically just to hold position here until morning, then we go out and look for her. The rangers are reviewing the maps, and are attempting to find the best places she might hide.” He says. “We don’t know the limits of her capabilities, so we just need to be careful.”

"Sounds like you have everything in order," Cali smiled, gazing over to the group he had indicated were looking over the maps. She would not be much help in that regard, not knowing the area that well, and everyone else was busy with their other jobs. She pulled her pack further up her shoulder, remembering the rabbits she had strung up on it and then inclined her head towards the centre of the camp where the obvious place for a camp fire would be.

"I'll start on some food, best to eat when you can," then strode over to where somebody had already placed a pile of logs. A sweep of her hands and it was alight then she was busying herself with preparing the stew.

"Sounds like you have everything in order,"

"I'm glad. I had wondered if you'd believe it to be effective. But you have been saying that you haven't dealt with undead all that often, so I suppose we're both going into this blind. Either way, I'm glad you're here." He says as he looks over the treeline. He really was greatful for her help. She had saved the lives of his men with her fire.

"I'll start on some food, best to eat when you can," then strode over to where somebody had already placed a pile of logs. A sweep of her hands and it was alight then she was busying herself with preparing the stew.

"Thank you." He says sincerely before going over to the rangers to see what they had come up with so far?"

Caliane was quite content with the simple task of cooking, it was one she enjoyed doing on camps. Soon the rabbits were skinned, gutted and the meat diced up and added to the stew she had begun brewing from the offset. The smell had her stomach rumbling and a few others it appeared who had gathered nearer the fire in the way people did when they wanted to make sure they didn't miss out on the call for dinner being ready. Another sip and then she nodded more to herself.

"Alright, it's done," her laugh was musical and a few of the knights hurried to grab their bowls and join the line for food. She let them help themselves and took her own bowl to sit down and enjoy the moment of quiet.

The Knights were well disciplined, and hardy men, but like all men, were powerless against the smell of well made food, especially if said food involved meat. Eberwolf shook his head with an amused smile, and got into the back of the line. And he had to admit that her cooking was phenomenal, at least compared to his own, so he absolutely loved it. But he was a little late, as Sir Kiriil, the inquisitive knight from earlier, spoke up.

"My goodness gracious this food is worthy of a king! My fair elf, I thank there profoundly for this bounteous and heavenly stew. And I am quite certain that I speak for all of us when I say Well Done!"

This was met with an I'll timed but authentic "hear hear" from the rest of the men, Eberwolf included.

Caliane laughed into her bowl at the round of cheers for the food and shook her head a little. Amazing what a little bit of spice did to food to make it taste so good.

"You're all very welcome. I'm happy to cook if it's this well received," it was nice to feel like she had done something. Presently it just felt as though she were waiting for the fighting to begin so she could be the literal fire power. It was easy for groups to slip into their usual rhythms of who did what so she hadn't wanted to interfere to much with the jobs here, but maybe the cooking would be left to her from now on. Not a job she minded in the least of course.

She glanced up at Eberwolf as he walked over and scooted over on the log to offer him room to sit.

"You're all very welcome. I'm happy to cook if it's this well received,"

“My good chef, my throat sings with joy and bows to your superior cooking skills.” Kiriil said happily before returning to the food. “I would not complain about anything if you were to cook again.”

Eberwolf sat down with his own bowl and began to eat. “This is very good.” He affirmed. “I’d have hired you for your cooking alone had I known it was this well made.”

This earned a chuckle from a couple of the men.

Caliane joined in the chuckling with her own soft laugh. She swirled the stew then chewed on a mouthful.

"You learn a thing or two when you've been hunting for over 200 years," which was true. The herbs of the forest were easier for her to spot now and she had gotten fed up after her first 50 years of bland tasting food when on hunting missions for her people that lasted longer than three days.

"Do you all Hunt or fight together often?" Her eyes ran over the crew. They seemed so used to one another she wondered if they were men Eberwolf trusted the most.

"Do you all Hunt or fight together often?" Her eyes ran over the crew. They seemed so used to one another she wondered if they were men Eberwolf trusted the

“Well, we don’t hunt together very much.” Eberwolf said. “You remember that I mentioned us fighting in a generations long war? These men are some of my best. Kiriil is my lancer captain. Sir Boris is my Vanguard captain. And Sir Flakkir is my infantry captain. The rangers are my scout captain, spymaster and Guerilla captain. Cannan, Adan and Forleif respectively. We‘re fighting armies of vampires and their thralls, we’ve come to rely on one another quite thoroughly, so I asked them to come with me on this adventure.”

Last edited:
Caliane's gaze flicked to each one as they were introduced, tucking the information away so that she could address people by their proper titles and names. It was so unusual hearing such formal prefixes like Sir; such things didn't translate into the Avariel world but she would try and remember.

"As I've been grilled about the lives of elves," amusement in her tone as she glanced to Kiriil then Eberwolf. "But what makes a... knight?" She hesitated, waiting for the nod of confirmation. "What makes a knight a knight? And I've noticed no women in your group; is this a title just for men?"

"As I've been grilled about the lives of elves," amusement in her tone as she glanced to Kiriil then Eberwolf. "But what makes a... knight?" She hesitated, waiting for the nod of confirmation. "What makes a knight a knight? And I've noticed no women in your group; is this a title just for men?"

Kiriil had the grace to blush at this. And her question was one that wasn’t too expected, but was not something that they weren’t prepared to answer. Eberwolf spoke for them.

“I Knight is a member of nobility, usually lesser, or a member of upper nobility that has yet to inherit the title of their parent. I am technically next in line to be Duke, but my father is Duke, so until he dies and I become Duke, I am a Knight. There are some female knights, but there aren’t many of them here in this duchy on account of the aforementioned war, since everyone was expected to be able to fight and most of not all men were conscripted into the armies for the defense of the land, the women stayed back, raised the children and took care of the farm. One is either born a Knight or can ascend to the status through displays of valor, loyalty and other such things. If a woman is named a Knight, her title is Ser, pronounced the same but spelled differently.”

From the traces of shock she should have known this Grounding knowledge. She ate another mouthful of stew as she listened curiously to everything he said and nodded along. It all made sense though it seemed odd to inherit titles. They were earned more on merit and voting in her lands.

"I see... Where I am from after basic education everyone chooses a Discipline to dedicate their life to; healing, hunting, warrior, etc. There are nine in total. Then every 50 years we elect a Elder amongst our rank to represent us on the Council. It is they who make decisions and such for our people. There are ranks in each field but again it is something you have to earn and it takes a few centuries."

"I see... Where I am from after basic education everyone chooses a Discipline to dedicate their life to; healing, hunting, warrior, etc. There are nine in total. Then every 50 years we elect a Elder amongst our rank to represent us on the Council. It is they who make decisions and such for our people. There are ranks in each field but again it is something you have to earn and it takes a few centuries."

“Yes well, no system is perfect, in your system I imagine everyone knows a little about everything and dedicates the rest of their long life to one area, which works I would assume, in large part to elven longevity. But we humans rarely live up to a century. So the way this is set up is that each person is raised their entire lives for a specific profession, and they aren’t educated on much else. Me, I’ve been raised my entire life learning how to govern, as well as how to fight and strategize, those three things for my entire life, nothing else, that way I can do it well throughout my life. That’s the good thing about inherited station, the bad thing is that corruption and entitlement aren’t uncommon no matter how you look at it, so a sense of duty and responsibility is imposed quite vigorously.”

Cali thought about what he said and decided she would need to watch it in effect to make up her own mind on the positives of such ways of working. It would be an interesting hobby perhaps over the next few centuries. She finished off her stew and licked the spoon clean.

"It's very interesting. I'm the first of my people to leave for a very long time so I guess it is a matter of catching up with the world," a ghost of a smile traced her lips before inclining her head slightly. "Is your Duke..dom?" another hesitation as she tried to remember the word "Is it just humans then?"

"It's very interesting. I'm the first of my people to leave for a very long time so I guess it is a matter of catching up with the world," a ghost of a smile traced her lips before inclining her head slightly. "Is your Duke..dom?" another hesitation as she tried to remember the word "Is it just humans then?"

“It’s actually a duchy. As in Duchess. But yes, it is just humans. We haven’t been in contact with the world very much, and we’ve only recently started reaching out. So we’ve been fairly isolated, no elves, dwarves or orcs. We’ve been trading wood and food with some dwarves for weapons and armor but that’s it.” He explains. “Dwarves have visited for trade agreements and shipments, but nothing else of any real consequences.”

"I guess not all that dissimilar then," her lips twitched at the corners as she mused on the funny irony symmetry between the two. In truth she had thought most Groundlings came into contact with one another regularly apart from Vel Anir who stoically remained a Human-Only citadel. After a moment of quiet contemplation she got to her feed and then wondered over to the bowl of water she had gathered and poured some of it now into a kettle which she hung over the fire, taking the cooking pot off. She took no care for herself when it came to the heat, wearing no gloves as she touched the hot steel, but it did nothing to her.

"It would probably be a wise thing to maybe send to Elbion and ask for a mage for your duch...y..." she said the new word slowly.