Private Tales The Legend's Heir

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Solgrin frowned. He was no strangers to deals like that. His own curse had settled only upon him of course, no one else, but it was a bargain that he could not escape. No one could escape it, at least not that he knew of.

That was what he had told Serafina too.

It seemed almost...wrong to try to give the man hope. They were not here to help this village. They were here to help Einar, to get his daughter back and see that she would be properly buried. Anything else? It was...supposed to be beyond them.

'I see." He sad with a frown. "So it was... the whole town that decided?"

The old man nodded.

"I...it was a vote, from what I understand...and one at the time that seemed...seemed a good idea."
Solgrin frowned. "What did you get?"

He asked.

"Safety. An end to bandits...something we needed."​

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Serafina
Sera glanced at Solgrin and raised a brow at the clear irony it would now be Bandits who might end that particular deal. With a faint shake of her head she turned her attention back to the merchant.

"These types of deals are usually... bound with something," reading the contents of the mountain library had taught her that. "Words and something else - blood, or ink - but usually there's a clue in there about how it might be undone. Do you know where something like that might be held? Or someone who might remember?" someone had to remember for the deal to still be in place. The man begun to shake his head then paused and scratched at his beard.

"Well... now you come to mention it my grandma once mentioned a stone being the reason we didn't suffer from bandits... out on the edge of town..."

• Wonder
Reactions: Solgrin
Solgrin glanced at Serafina in a small amount of surprise, having to remind himself that she had spent months on end in the library. His own curse was sealed upon his very soul, not something so easily accessible. Yet he was impressed she even thought to bring such a thing up.

His head shook for a brief moment as he smiled, returning his attention back towards the old man. "Interesting."

The Bandit Chief said with a slight frown.

"Do you know where?" A stone like that...well it was no ordinary stone. It would have markings of some sort, even if they were worn and slight.

"I think...north...they used to tell us to stay away from it."​

• Thoughtful
Sera didn't notice the look of surprise thrown her way. She was completely immersed in the conversation. If she had caught it she would have probably blushed with pride though.

"D-do you think you could draw us a map?" she asked and suddenly stood, moving to one of the draws in the room.

"I think so, girl but why do you want to go poking around in that?" Sera returned soon after with parchment and quill and ink then passed it all to him with a smile.

"I like a puzzle, and I want to help. We both do - don't we Sol?"

• Popcorn
"Sure." Solgrin hated puzzles.

He liked having all the information.

He liked knowing where something was about to happen, why it was going to happen, and more importantly when it was going to happen. Puzzles were the very antithesis of everything that he believed in when it came to that sort of thing.

Still, he could humor the old man. "Plus, there's always something to seeing things like this for yourself."

Solgrin said with a smile as the man finished the map.

"Here you are...it might not be the most accurate, but it's hard to miss. Thing is bloody big from what I remember."​

"Thank you, why don't you let me buy you another drink." Solgrin said, clearly not letting it even be a question.

• Bless
The man nodded and seemed to relax in his chair. The conversation drifted away from pressing him for information about the necromancers, though they still seemed to sit like a dark cloud over the table, and turned instead to the adventures Sera and Sol had been on. The merchant devoured the descriptions of a mountain top castle in the snow and laughed as she recounted her failures in training. To Sol he listened with great respect of his adventures and battles.

In the end the man was a good four drinks down and unsteady on his feet when he stood up.

"Well, I think I best beg my leave of you both. I cannot keep up with young'uns like I used to."

Sera laughed softly thinking of the night before.

• Popcorn
Solgrin smiled. "Aye well such things fade."

He told the old man, watching as he nearly fell down onto the ground if not for the table. He glanced over towards one of the other tables. A whistle escaped his lips, catching the attention of Kwin sitting in front of his own drinks.

"Make sure he doesn't fall down somewhere in the mud, will you?" The young man let out an exaggerated sigh, but didn't try to argue. Standing up and stepping up towards the old man.

"Oh no, that's not necessary, I'm sure I can make it after some fresh air."​

Solgrin raised an eyebrow, but didn't argue. Kwin shrugged, and the old man seemed satisfied as he gave one last goodbye and began to head towards the door.

For a moment the Bandit Chief watched him, then slowly turned back towards Sera. "Guess we have a hike to do."

• Popcorn
Sera nodded and pushed back her chair.

"Tomorrow," whilst they had been talking night had crept in. It felt like days ago not hours ago that Einar had tried to take justice into his own hands and Solgrin had had to bring him home. She stood and moved round to where he sat, then leant down and pressed a kiss to the corner of his lips. "It's been a long day, you should get some rest," she felt worn out and Sol had done so much more than she had today.

Sera sighed.

"I wish you had let me bring more than 10 books... something about this...." she shook her head. "Never mind."

• Thoughtful
"Mm." Solgrin had never much liked waiting, especially when there was something like this at stake.

Yet he could see she was tired, and that much alone was reason enough to wait.

"Books are heavy." He reminded her. "Paper and parchment isn't exactly easy to carry."

A small chuckle echoed from his lips. "I had the same argument before you know. When the Keep first fell. Me and..."

Solgrin shook his head.

"Doesn't matter now." No. It didn't matter now. "You'll be able to go back one day, if you want. It won't be destroyed."

He could say that without a single doubt.

• Thoughtful
Sera thought of being in that old fortress alone in the mountains and knew that she wouldn't return there. Once Solgrin left the Bandits would not stay together, of that she was certain, and she did not want to return to places that reminded her of a man for whom she had such strong feelings. Her fingers ran into his hair and she shrugged instead.

"Perhaps. It doesn't really help us right now but maybe seeing the stone tomorrow will help me remember what it is I read," there had been too many the information was not jumping to her right away. She lightly tugged his hair and glanced back down at him.

"Are you staying up or coming to bed?"

• Popcorn
He shrugged. "Maybe."

Memories were funny little things, perhaps something would spark after all. There was a small part of him that hoped they could help this village, and if they broke the pact...perhaps it would make the necromancers move faster.

It would help with getting Einar's daughter. Turn weeks of waiting into a few days. "I'll stay up."

He told her quietly as she tugged his hair.

"For a little while." Solgrin said softly. He needed to think, mull, plan. There was still so much to do. Too much by all rights.

• Aww
"Okay," she said softly and then pressed a kiss to his forehead then let go of his hand. Her fingers trailed down his back and then, with a small smile and murmured goodnight, she turned and headed for the stairs.

Kwin and Kai who had been sitting not far away with their own drinks both watched her go and then glanced to Solgrin with the raised brows of youths who had no idea why a man would ever pass up the chance to go to bed with a woman.

"Ehhh chief, you sure you feelin' alright?"

• Popcorn
Solgrin leaned back in his chair, glancing towards the two lads with a slight smile.

"I'm fine." He said letting his fingers drag on the table for a brief moment as he considered the two with a shake of his head. "Any trouble in town?"

A shake of the head came before the answer.

"Naw. Seems like a pretty quiet place. Only trouble here is what we bring, and well you told us not to."​

Kwin shrugged as he answered, and Solgrin nodded. "Good, keep it that way will you, lads?"

Both of them nodded, as the Bandit Chief stood. He reached out and ruffled Kai's hair, the lad barely older than Scout. Then he headed out the door, deciding that he needed some fresh air. The night was crisp, quiet, almost reminding him of a home that he'd left long ago.

• Sip
Sera sighed when she got to their room and leant against the closed door. She was exhausted. The stress and worry were almost as strenuous as the days of travel. After this morning she was surprised she hadn't found any grey hairs. A part of her wondered if she should check on Einar but she hadn't seen Maria downstairs and suspected the woman was sitting vigil at his bedside.

Instead she begun undressing and climbed into bed instead. Within minutes she was fast asleep.

• Thoughtful
It was a few hours before Solgrin finally made his way back to the Inn.

Unsurprisingly the night was uneventful. The town was quiet during the day, and with the moon high it was even more so. He doubted that anyone was even up to watch him wander the streets. He simply walked, wandered, thinking of the future and what lay ahead.

How he had to work faster. How he had to do better.

It was a thought that plagued his mind almost daily now, a drive that pushed him forward beyond anything else.

Eventually though, even he got tired. Those thoughts began to give way to exhaustion, and slowly Solgrin made his way back to the Inn. He found his way into the same bed as Serafina, his arms wrapping around her as he fell into sleep.

• Cthuulove
Sera had half expected to be woken in the same manner as they had the night before so it was a pleasant surprise to find herself being woken by the warm rays of wintery sunshine filtering through the too-thin curtains instead. She stretched like a cat in the pool of light and sighed to feel Solgrin's arms around her and the tickle of his steady breaths on the back of her neck. She wondered how long he had wandered last night and decided it was best to let him rest whilst he still could. So she slipped quietly from his arms, pressed a kiss to his temple, then dressed and went downstairs.

Others were already milling about in the quiet hush of morning and Sera was glad to see one of those was a familiar, grumpy face.

"How's the head?"
she asked as she slid into a booth with Einar who was nursing a strong coffee whilst Maria looked daggers at him. You wouldn't have thought a few hours ago she had been worrying over him. The Northman glanced up at her with bloodshot eyes and grimaced.

"Not worse than I deserve, lass. I'm... I'm sorry... for how I behaved."

• Popcorn
Solgrin woke not too much later.

He had never been the type to sleep in, not for years. It was a gift that at a time he had wished for, but he'd learned to live with a watchful waking. It had served him well in the past, even when it stole precious few hours of sleep.

When he came down stairs, he found Einar and Serafina already sitting, Maria staring at the northmen as though she were still prepared to skin him. The Bandit chief frowned a moment, then slowly made his way to the table.

He leaned against the top of the booth, staring down at the little group.

The Bandit Chief said nothing, knowing it wouldn't help.

He waited to see what Serafina would do. There was no intention of telling Einar about the stone, only because he feared it might turn out to be nothing. He did not want to give the man any false hopes.

• Cthuulove
Sympathy coloured her eyes and she shook her head and leaned across the table to take one of his large hands in both of hers.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for Einar, not to me anyway," her eyes flickered meaningfully across to Maria who was still watching Einar like a bird might a bug. She might have missed the look but the Northman didn't. He nodded slowly and then also glanced up to behind where Sera was sitting. A flicker of confusion crossed Sera's own features then she turned and caught sight of Sol. Her smile was an instant thing.

"I think... I have a few apologies to do," he said in agreement but he was looking at his chief not her.

• Popcorn
"A few." Solgrin reinforced, his voice strong.

Eyes briefly flickered over towards Scout, the half beaten boy whom Serafina had healed. He sat with some of the others at one of the tables, munching away quite happily at a breakfast provided by Marion.

Einar seemed to cringe as he followed the Bandit Chief's eyeline, his head dipping in a nod.

"Aye. A few."

There was hesitation there, shame, but Solgrin knew the man enough to know that he wouldn't shy away from what he had to do. Even if he didn't like it. The Bandit Chief let his gaze flicker to Maria, their eyes meeting for a moment.

A brief nod tipped the woman's head, as if she would confirm each and every apology.

"Sera." Solgrin said, glancing at her. "Did you eat?"

It was a early still, and they had a hike ahead of them.

• Bless
Sera followed the interaction carefully. Her gentle blue eyes wandered from one to the other and then to Scout and back. She let out a quiet breath, thankful that he seemed to have finally come to his senses. Solgrin's sudden question drew her back to what they had to do. What the next step was so Einar could finally get closure.

"Not yet. You know," she stood up and clapped her hands. "I saw that lovely bakery yesterday, why don't we take a walk and get some breakfast?"

• Popcorn
Solgrin made a noise in his throat. "Suppose so."

In truth, he had never much cared for breakfast.

It always felt like it was a small waste of time. Better to just get going and then get a larger lunch later, but...who was he to argue with Serafina.

He glanced briefly towards Einar, studying the northman as though he were about to say something else. Then after a moment he turned away, gently grasping the small of Serafin's back and urging her onward towards the door.

"Lets go get you some bread." He muttered. "Or whatever else that place serves."

• Cthuulove
Sera all but bounded out the inn like anyone would expect her too at the idea of fresh pastries. But once they were outside and a safe way away from the bandits who liked to linger outside the inn and play cards - and chess- in the sun, she took out the piece of paper on which the townsman had drawn his map the day before.

"Sorry, I didn't know what else to say that wouldn't raise suspicion about us heading off somewhere. I didn't want to get Einar's hopes up in case this goes to nothing," she sighed sadly thinking of her poor friends face, not knowing her words had echoed a thought Solgrin had had not moments ago.

"We can grab some food if you like on the way but I'm not too hungry,"
she glanced up at him then.

• Popcorn
He nodded his head. "It's a good call."

Solgrin had of course done the same thing.

Einar had been willing to get himself, and Maria for that matter, killed on the slightest chance. Solgrin didn't even want to know what he'd do with something like this. Better to just keep it quiet until they were sure it could actually turn into something.

"Let's grab something." The Bandit chief told her. "It'll probably be mid-day before we even make it to the damn rock."

For all they knew this entire thing would prove to be a fools errand, but Solgrin hoped it wasn't.

The two stoppde by the small bakery, purchasing some bread and cheese which was promptly wrapped and stuffed into a pack. Then they began their hike, following the small map that the old man had drawn for the two of them.

They ventured into the field north of the village, taking no path but slowly cresting hilt after hilt as they made their way.

• Popcorn
"Why are you so against the rock?"

Sera had been quite content to walk mainly in silence. Occasionally they would talk of some small thing or other but mostly they enjoyed the sounds of the birds singing and the quiet that came with leaving a town behind. However, the question she now asked had been playing on her mind since yesterday when the man had first revealed the stones existence. He'd not been... happy about it.

• Popcorn
Solgrin frowned for a moment as she asked her question.

He was not entirely sure how to explain it, how to...break it all down. Lips thinned as he glanced at Serafina, studying, considering. "In my life..."

His head shook.

"There's been a lot of false hopes." The Bandit Chief explained. "False promises, stories that I thought would better my life. Things or places that should have helped but turned out to be nothing."

Solgrin was a Cynic, and he knew it. "I don't trust it because I don't know what it is Sera, what it could bring. If it could even bring anything."

A long sigh escaped him.

"My life has been a rash of cruelty, betrayal, and disappointment." His head shook. "Trust doesn't come easy. Especially for old stories."

• Thoughtful