Private Tales The Legend's Heir

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Sera sighed and dragged her eyes away from where Maria had vanished along the hall back to Solgrin. His words echoed her own concerns but she hadn't thought she had the clout to say them. Sol was a general with years of experience and she hadn't left her town since before this year. She bit her bottom lip then moved to slide into the chair Maria had vacated that was next to him and took his hand in both of hers.

That weird energy that had grown between them when he was the owner of the amulet fizzled over their joined hands.

"Maybe... you're not using the resources you have."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Solgrin
Solgrin stayed quiet for a moment. "Maybe."

She wasn't wrong.

There were things that she could do, that magic could bend and warp...but it was so hard to tell if it was the right thing to do. If he used Serafina to level that Temple, fought against those Necromancers, there was a real chance that she would die.

That they would all die.

"This..." He frowned. "There is never an easy answer."

Solgrin said softly. "For decades I've tried to make the right choices. Some selfish. Some not."

His frown deepened.

"We could use magic, attack the Temple. Press things." He said slowly. "But whose to say one won't survive? One won't kill you, or Einar, or Scout."

Slowly Solgrin shook his head. "There's never a right choice. Only choices."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Serafina
Serafina shook her head.

"My magic isn't just about destruction," she said softly. She had thought it was, especially when Solgrin had wielded it. But she had come to realise the magic moulded to the user and Serafina was as far from brutal as a person could get. Oh, she could if she needed to reach into that pit of anger and self loathing she kept a lid on to whip up the destruction he was thinking of but...

Very gently she held her hands over his and then coaxed a tiny flower to life in his hands.

"You said there's a spark they are attracted to... would they leave the city to come get one? If they thought she was strong in powers, would they bring the majority of their forces?" Leaving the rest for the other Bandits to deal with in the temple and then cut the lured ones off from returning.

• Stressed
Solgrin frowned for a few moments. It was an undeniably good plan, and in truth one that he himself had considered. The thing that had stopped him was the danger. There was no doubt that it would put Sera in harms way.

It was something he had been simply unwilling to contend.

Even now the thought of it made him...well more than reluctant. Lips thinned, and he slowly shook his head. "I ca-"

"No."
Solgrin's voice was quiet, but not firm or harsh. "You can't put yourself in harms way for this."

He knew it was a double standard. Knew that it was hypocritical even, but he just couldn't help it. "There's no telling what could happen."

Solgrin said softly.

• Bless
Her fingers trailed over his wrists and up the petals of the flower now bloomed to life in his hands.

"I want to, Sol," she looked up at him through those thick, dark lashes that framed eyes of an impossible sapphire blue. There was a calmness to them today, like the serenity one saw on the surface of a lake in the deep summer when not even the wind disturbed the mirror-like water. "Einar... Einar was the first person here who showed me any kindness," before Solgrin himself had really. It was Einar who had ensured the ropes hadn't bitten through her wrists, who had snuck her an extra bit of food when she looked starved.

"I would like to repay that."

• Popcorn
He frowned for a moment.

A greater whole of him still wanted to say no, still wanted to outright deny her.

It would have been easy. A single word. A strong condemnation. That would have been it, and yet it went against everything that he was trying to do. It wouldn't have been any different than locking her up and throwing away the key.

He had to do what he said he would do. "Alright."

It was more than obvious from his tone of voice that he did not like agreeing. The very thought made bile rise up in his throat.

"But." He added. "We wait for Einar to recover."

Before she could rush up from the table he quickly spoke again. "Naturally."

That would at least be another day or two. Time to plan, and to make sure everything went the right way.

• Smug
Sera had been half way to her feet when he issued his terms. Heat bloomed in her cheeks and she turned her action into sliding into his lap instead. When he moved his hands the flower in them would disappear into sparkles of gold dust that slipped through his fingers.

"Thank you," she touched his cheek. She'd seen the war in his eyes over letting her have the freedom he had promised her. Though now... now she thought it was born from a place different to before. The possessiveness was still there, the jealousy, but something softened the edges of it. Or maybe she was just reading what she hoped to see.

"Does that mean more drinking and dancing tonight?" her lips kicked up into a smile.

• Popcorn
His head shook. "I think not for me."

The curse helped with his recovery, there was no headache or soreness from their previous night of revelry. He was pretty sure that even if he tried he couldn't bring himself to have a hangover. Yet he was not feeling within the spirit.

After what had happened today, Solgrin wasn't jovial. He was...well, he wasn't entirely sure what he was.

"I was thinking instead I go talk to some of the villagers." He told her softly. "Find out...find out who these people are."

He smiled. "And make sure they can stay out of danger when the time comes."

An odd notion, given how all of this had begun.

• Bless
Serafina considered Solgrin's words with care, a small crease forming between her brows, before she finally nodded.

"Marion might be able to help you," she nodded to the inn keeper who was replacing jugs of mead on other tables and stopping every now and then to share a joke. She seemed unaware of the pairs gaze lingering on her as Sera continued. "She was telling me about a few... peculiar things that happen here. I think that was why she wanted to know what our business was, to see if she could tell us. I told her we were just resting before taking on another assignment and I think... I think she wanted to come with us."

Whether she would want to when she realised her town was free, Sera wasn't sure.

Solgrin scoffed, though it was mostly in shock more than anything else. A hand coming up to gently rub at his face. "Well, I guess I don't have any promises to fulfill with new recruits I didn't take on."

He jested, glancing at Serafina with a shake of his head.

The thought that she was doing...well essentially recruitment made him smile, if not want to outright laugh. The irony was simply a bit too on the nose. He shook his head again, and then took in a long deep breath.

"If you're not careful you'll end up leading this thing." He mused. "When I'm gone."

Solgrin smiled for a moment more. "What does she know?"

He asked.

• Stressed
The smile fell from Sera's face. It was hard to tell whether it was because of the reminder he wasn't going to there, or because she didn't like the thought of leading. Her eyes took on an odd look for just a moment before she answered his question, shifting off his lap and back to her seat as she spoke.

"I didn't say anything, if that's what you're asking," she sounded almost hurt. "I know you didn't want anyone knowing," a sigh and she picked at the food Marion had left on the table for them. "She just knows that we're in town in between jobs, but she thinks we're a mercenary group. Was that... was that not right?"

• Popcorn
Solgrin shook his head. "It's fine."

More than fine really.

"That's...well that's actually how this all got started, in a strange way." He realized that Serafina didn't really know. That she had never heard the story. "I was a General once, the head of an army."

That part, at least he had spoken of. "When it...when it all happened I left. I only had a band of ten. My best, brightest, strongest."

Those who had loved him. Those who were now mostly gone.

"We didn't...we didn't have a goal. Not then, but when as we moved from town to town, just trying to survive." His head shook. "People would see us, talk to us, and then join us."

It only became...twisted later. His own greed, his own anger driving it. "Simple Conversation."

Solgrin said quietly.

• Thoughtful
Sera's frown deepened until she was outright frowning. She appreciated the history lesson, and it was nice to know the Bandit group hadn't been formed of hate in the beginning, but she didn't want to recruit people.

"When you no longer..." her whole face bunched up as though she had tasted something disgusting. She shook her head. "I don't want to recruit people, that wasn't my intention. I just... if this town doesn't get an overall then... then people deserve to leave. We can drop her off in the next town over or something," she shrugged uncomfortably and then threw herself back into her chair. The food on her plate had been thoroughly torn to shreds.

• Popcorn
Solgrin stared for a few seconds, then gently reached out and placed a hand on her knee. "It's alright."

What else was it going to be?

This subject wasn't something she wanted to speak about. Not something that either of them had discussed much. It was a sorepoint for her, and Serafina knew that. He smiled briefly, his thumb softly stroking over her skin.

"Whatever you want to do." He said quietly. "It's alright."

Solgrin assured her. "These people do deserve to leave if they want to."

Everyone deserved that choice. "We'll take Marion when we go."

He said softly.

• Cry
Sera nodded numbly. She didn't want to tell him she still had no idea of what she did want to do after... after he was gone. There was nothing he could do to help her decide that and she didn't want to worry him when there was nothing any of them could do in the meantime. Taking a breath she let her hand drop over his one on her knee, brushing the tips of her fingers up over his wrist and forearm.

"She might not want to go if she thinks the town is better," though it wouldn't surprise her if she still wanted to come with them. The girl had said more than once she was jealous Sera was getting to see so much of the world. She shook herself out of those thoughts.

"Should we go talk to these townsfolk then?"

• Sip
Solgrin hesitated for a moment.

He had never once been good at...talking to people. Not outside of his role as a General, a Captain anyway. He could reach the hearts of men, of women. He could inspire courage and victory, but something like this? It was inordinately difficult for him.

A frown touched his lips for a brief moment, and his lips opened. "I..."

Solgrin shook his head.

"Sure." That was what he had wanted to do after all, and the day was still young. Einar had fled so early in the morning that it was only now just getting to be noon. The markets would be going, and perhaps they could see about stemming the tide of that snake oil salesman.

A small good dead, maybe.

• Sip
Last time they had walked through the market they had been listening for any information that might have helped them in their mission. Today, however, they just enjoy the market. Of course they had a purpose and a job but talking to people and connecting with them was something that seemed to just come naturally to Serafina. Every stand they stopped at stallholders or other shoppers would linger to talk and laugh, to ask questions and answer them. She put them at ease.

She was chatting with a fruit seller who she had particularly hit it off with.

"Ah, you don't know how lucky you are girl! To see the world!" he shook his head with a big toothy grin. "I miss it, I used to sell my wares all the way from here to Tel Amos if you'd believe it!"

• Sip
"Not much traveling going on then." Solgrin commented quietly off to the side.

It was a trend that he had noticed running through the whole town, though it had never really surprised him.

He'd always assumed that the town was insular by choice, but the more he learned, the more he listened, he realized that probably wasn't the case. These people were hidden away, forced to stay here, a prison of the agreement their ancestors had made.

Solgrin couldn't even imagine such a thing.

"Aye aye, but it's not so bad really. We do have a lovely little town."​

He commented with a chuckle. "It is quite nice. Peaceful."

The man looked at Solgrin for a moment, an emptiness in his eyes, and the he slowly nodded.

"Y-Yes. Peaceful."​

He agreed.

• Nervous
Sera's brows knitted for a second. It was the first real hesitation they had seen; the other stallholders were much younger or had families to think about. This merchant was old, his children and grandchildren grown and living their own lives. He'd had time to look towards his own inner desires. Perhaps that made him more vocal.

"Well," her face smoothed back into that smile that made people want to talk to her. "Small towns aren't peaceful, Solgrin," she chided like the big city lad had no idea. She shared the joke with the merchant. "Isn't that right? Where I'm from there's always one drama going on, or this lord sticking their nose in where it isn't wanted and upsetting the council..."

• Smug
The old man glanced at Serafina as she spoke, his lips thinning for a brief moment before his head slowly began to shake his head.

"Well...no Lord to worry about here."​

He said with a false smile, though it seemed to falter for a moment as he looked at the two of them. Solgrin could see the consideration behind his eyes, the thoughts that spun and spun behind them. A frown touched the Chiefs lips.

"You must have many stories." Solgrin said with a smile. "Perhaps we could persuade you to close your shop for a while?"

The Chief glanced at Serafina. "My companion does love to hear the tales of the locals. An indulgence of hers."

He smiled, looking back to the old man.

A frown touched his face, and then slowly he nodded.

"Y-yes I suppose I could...talking somewhere more private might be...might be good."​

Sera smiled at all the right cues Solgrin gave when the merchant looked her way and acted the young woman besotted with tales of life, eager to learn. The older gentleman reminded her a lot of her own grandfather and it seemed this merchant was as besotted with her as he had been.

"Oh! That's so wonderful, there's a private room at the inn we're staying - do let us pay for your dinner, please?" she touched his hand and a little more of the weariness fell away from him. He chuckled instead and patted her hand fondly in return.

"Well I never could say no to a pretty face, let me just close up girl and we'll get going. I hope Marion has a good pheasant on today."

• Sip
Solgrin smiled as the man turned around and began to settle up his shop. The expression seemed to drop from his face almost immediately, and he glanced down at Serafina.

"There is something more to all this." He said quietly.

He couldn't place his finger on it. "More than we know anyway."

They already knew about the Temple, the deal the Mayor had made...but for some reason it felt as though it were deeper than that. The Root of the necromancers went deep, and Solgrin couldn't help but wonder how deep it actually went.

How many knew?

How many had agreed?

More importantly...was anyone in the town actively participating? Sacrificing their dead and offering them as pieces to the Temple? An odd feeling began to settle in his stomach. Nerves fraying as the three of them began to wander back towards the Inn.

• Thoughtful
Sera threw Sol a confused frown; the younger woman hadn't picked up on anything further than the obvious but that was to be expected. Once Solgrin had mentioned it, however, she begun to pay a bit more attention to what it was the marketholder said. Or rather, how he said it.

Once the stall was all packed down and safely locked up, Sera looped her arm through his and begun to talk more about herself. People didn't batter an eye at questions when someone had given them their own life story of their own volition. She simply looked exactly how Solgrin had described her; interested in the stories of the people she met. They made their way back to the tavern and into one of the separate rooms where the noise of the main hall faded into a pleasant background buzz.

"So have you always lived here?" she asked innocently.

• Thoughtful
"Y-Yes. All my life."​

The old man said with a smile, looking down at his mug of ale as though there were some sort of escape to be found there. A frown touched his lips for a brief moment, and he glanced up at the two outsiders as though he were expecting something else.

When nothing came he continued.

"It was a nice town, as a child, when...when you didn't know everything."​

Solgrin tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

The Bandit Chief asked.

"We're not...we're not fools here. You've met Marion, you know that. This town is...this town made a deal a long time ago. You don't escape that, not really. We pretend that it doesn't bother us, but that's all just a lie we tell ourselves..."​

• Thoughtful
Sera glanced over at Sol and then back to their new acquaintance.

"Deals can be broken..." she said softly and put a comforting hand on his arm. He had been staring into his ale as though the bottom held all the answers to life's greatest questions and so he gave a start at Sera's touch. He smiled and then patted her hand.

"N-not ones like this, lass, they... they run into the blood itself. No, this was the bed our ancestors made and it is one our children for generations will have to pay for."

• Popcorn