Private Tales The Last Resort

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She gave a weak laugh at the weak joke that turned into a fit of coughing. She turned her head, and spat a mouthful of phlegm flecked with luminous, bright blood. "Have seen worse," she said haltingly.

She had to think at his question. In ordinary circumstances, it was difficult to recall much beyond the most recent of events, say within the last few hundred years or so. Her life had been long, and she was certain she had forgotten most of it. After all, time ground exceedingly fine over the longest haul, and a mind could only hold so much.

She could recall many horrors seen in her days. "Exactly?" she said, and shook her head. "Not exactly like, no. The creatures of....Tartarus were close, and those of the Demonic Reality - summoned creatures - as well." She did not mention that it was generall considered by her people that beings from other worlds, no matter their nature, were truly demonic to the native inhabitants. It could be said that she, herself, was a demon. She was not of this world, after all. She happened to more closely fit the mold of its people, but had she retained her wings, worthless as they were...

"I...can feel their anger," she whispered. But she could not fathom the reason behind it, or their whispered promises to her, felt more than heard.

• Yay
Reactions: Draedamyr
Coughing up blood was not a good sign. Draedamyr couldn't remember seeing anyone - whether through disease or taking a warhammer to the breast - ever surviving. This was a magical ailment and perhaps it was something she had been through before. He didn't want to ask.

"Their anger?" he asked rhetorically. His footwork turned them both to look back down the slope. He couldn't feel their anger, but he could sense their presence. They were using some form of magic. Perhaps to trace them or maybe even to communicate.

"I felt what it was saying. Didn't hear it. I've not known something thag could force its words into your head like that. Those I've met who communicate telepathically normally need you to be receptive."

She lifted a hand weakly, and let it flutter. "Feel," she said. Was there a better way to describe that sensation? And especially to one with such dull senses to the magic of the world that surrounded them. "Can't describe it. When I ... quest outward, it is the sensation I get."

She dare not try now. She was recovering her strength, a steady trickle that would replenish what she had already wasted in a fit of rage. The pain of loss was still there, but she had managed to sequester it, for now. Lock it away deep, bar the door to her heart. It had been so very hard for her to do, and the time for proper mourning would come...

...but she had not lived so long by being an utter fool. Foolish, as all living creatures were at times, but not willfully so. "There are as man ways...to speak as there are colors on the wind," she said. What did it mean, though, that she could feel that anger in the mist itself, in the air she breathed? It tainted the mana that flowed sluggishly into her flesh and bones even now. It was in the air she breathed.

And whatever it was, it was intelligent.

She moaned softly at a particularly rouch step, stabs of pain cutting through her flesh like the pangs of birth, "Why...have you not abandoned me...yet?"

• Yay
"Because you weigh next to nothing," he said sternly. Clearly, the elf had no interest in entertaining that line of conversation any further than was necessary. His arms ached but he was able to keep up with the group. The blacksmith's boy stayed at the back with a middle aged man with a pitchfork. Ken and the older veteran were the only other guards left standing. They were at the head of the column.

"They went for you," Draedamyr said. "When they had us pinned to the fence. You don't recall doing anything to have that fury directed your way?" he asked.

Clearly he wasn't about to drop her, at least not in these circumstances. Yet Draedamyr was desperate for any little piece of information that might explain this madness. Anything to help him feel like he had some semblance of control over what was going to happen.

"Not fury," she replied. Their desire was something that she did not understand entirely, either. If they thought that they could convince her to join with their cause, they were fools. The Sidhe took no causes too deeply to heart, no matter the purpose. Therein lay the kind of disaster that Draedmyr could never truly appreciate. It was a nightmare that had stood the test of time, far more time than anything else she could recall.

She could not recall the face of her parents, but she could never forget the faces of the countless millions that had perished for her, and her people's, pride. Vengeance was a dish best served cold, but sometimes the reckoning scarred the one wielding the knife more than the one being cut.

"Their anger is deep, but towards me was...desire. Why, is anyone's guess." She spit again, glimmering flecks of blood still there, but less than there had been. "All I have for them...is disdain," she added.

• Yay
There were enough possibilities that he decided he neither wanted to dwell on, or discuss them. Creatures that feasted on flesh, monsters that could drain the latent magical energy right out of your blood. Others that could instill their own soul into your body.

Draedamyr canted his head to one side. A snap of a twig, the soft padding of feet. He paused for just a few seconds, turning his head to try and work out where it was coming from.

"They're matching our pace on the right," he called out. "We haven't left them behind."

"If they come, can you stand?" he asked Seska alone.

She nodded tiredly. "Did you expect that they would leave us behind so easily?" Did you expect they would abandon their prize, me, without a fight? She did not think that Draedmyr was a foolish man. After all, he had lived this long. It was no mean feat - she could say so with the certainty borne of experience.

"I can," she said. "I will have to be very careful to choose what I do with my limited strength, though. I have already done considerable harm to myself through reckless emotion," she added. It was a measure of her respect that she would admit her shame to him, or to anyone.

She should not have acted so rashly. Had she measured her strength, she could have done far more damage to their enemy at much less cost to herself. She was not a fool, either, though. There was no undoing the past, else she would not even be on this world. There was only one path, moving straight ahead. "I will strive to conserve myself for your sake," she said, clearly indicating that she would use that limited strength to grant him what he needed to survive.

• Yay
Draedamyr was torn as he cast his gaze over the bobbing heads of the children. One of the young girls wept constantly as she carried an infant in her arms. If he left with Seska then the demons might follow them. Or they might just carve their way through the remaining townsfolk.

The decision was made for him as a cry echoed from below. Ken called the group to a halt. The townsfolk moved further up the slope to the left and started to climb through the rocks. The last few soldiers with weapons held their ground. The rocks behind them would either be a good obstacle to retreat through or an maze whose confines they would die within alone.

He gently set Seska down along with her staff. The Sidhe seemed to need it just to stay upright now.

"Keep behind us. If that big one shows its face - it's faces - give it everything you ha e left."

The mists were thin up here. Perhaps if they had a rank of archers it would have been an exceptional spot for a last stand.

She sagged against the staff, her own weight painful to her ravaged joints, to a body pushed close to the edge. This world was cursed, and one day that curse would kill her.

Would today be that day? In defense of short lived children who cared not about her, who she was, or what she had represented?

Was it to be just another chip in the stone monument of the Sidhe, eroding away the history of a people long in decline?

She gritted her teeth. Not if I can help it. She had been alive for a very long time, but she was not ready to die, yet. Sorrow was not reason enough to give up hope.

It was the one tether to humanity that she yet kept.

"I had no intention of standing in front of you, Draedmyr," she rasped, and fell into a fit of coughing. Blood flecked spittle marred the ground. "Keep them at bay, and I will do what I can." A glance to the children, a stiffening of resolve.

• Yay
Reverie had been with him for hundreds of years. An heirloom of the city that had been lost to time, created in a magical force whose last light had been extinguished nearly a thousand years ago. Now if felt rather pitiful as the many-faced demon emerged from the mists.

It wasn't alone. Eight of the smaller ones spread out across the ground ahead of it. They stopped. A semi-circle of barely restrained fury. Teeth gnashed and claws scratched at the earth. The seconds stretched out, just long enough for every man who faced them to imagine his own impending death.

The many-faced demon unfurled two long arms. It had several more. Those serrated claws pointed towards Seska.

Give us that one and leave.

The ancient woman stood a little straighter, though she still looked like death warmed over. She looked upon the demons before her with... contempt? Certainly with disdain.

"Do you think they speak for me, creature?" Her words were as chilly as winter, and if there was any fear buried in them, then it was buried beneath a mountain of steel. "Do you think they presume to do aught with me?" Her language shifted to something completely foreign. It was melodic, but alien. Beautiful, in it's own way. A cadence like the wind, soft and flowing like a river. "You cannot have me. The scent of another world swirls around you, but that world is connected to this. A prison. Another prison, just with differing scenery."

She stood her ground, unwavering in resolve, at least. They wished to force confrontation; she had seen and felt some of what they were capable of, and the raw wound on her heart would not let her forget.

She had not backed down before, when faced with demons making demands. She would not here, either.

• Yay
"We can leave? With the children?"

That was Ken's voice. The creature turned two of its pale faces towards the human. The others remained trained on Seska. It gave no response to her proclamation.

They may go.

The demons continues to paw at the ground. Draedamyr let his gaze fall to the lesser creatures. He realised there were small differences between them. Then he realised that the differences were not so small. One had four arms, one had a tail, another had three sets of eyes across its face. It was as if a child had taken a sketch of a nightmare and had tried to copy it several times.

Draedamyr knew what came next. Ken looked to the veteran soldier and they both took a step back.

It was the blacksmith's lad who held his ground.

"It ain't right, leaving them."

Ken grasped the youth's broad arm and gave a tug. "Just an elf and a halfling. We can keep the rest of the children safe."

Draedamyr could blame the racism, but what decision would he have made. The haggard group of refugees had no chance of survival if they lost this battle. Now they were being given a chance. What would he have sacrificed for his young children? They could all fight for themselves now. He still intended to cross paths with them again. If he survived today.

The lad pulled himself free of Ken's grasp, his expression set in grim determination.

"Very well," said Ken, turning to leave with the others.

Draedamyr slowed his breathing right down. With every passing second he attuned his senses to the surroundings. The Demons breathed, they carried the magic of their world around them.

Dolcetto only had so much patience. When they had let the humans go their full attention was returned to Seska. There would be no more negotiations with the others.

Kill those two. She will be ascended.

This is a fool's errand. They should know it, and yet they seem so confident.

"I will not forget your words, Ken," she said softly. She looked up at the many faced thing before her, eyes chips of ice glittering with baleful countenance.

"You are a fool if you think you will force me to do anything," she said in a flat voice. The siren song of magic called to her, crooned its seductive song. Begging release, begging passage into this world. It was not something that these things could use even if they managed to pull off their little feat

It could not be taught, only inborn. And in the hands of someone not purely of the People, it was as dangerous to the user as it was to those around them.

"Know this," shecsaid, partly for Draedmyr and the blacksmith's benefit, partly in warning. "Try your vile tricks, and I shall draw enough power to kill me, you, your friends, my friends, and everyone and everything for a mile around. I have seen what you...offer. And reject it." You killed my friend! She felt hollow, empty. Hurting inside, and desiring her own vengeance.

Do not make me have to do this, Draedmyr. She did not wish to die here...but she had been enslaved by another before, bent to the will of a foul being and their foul purpose once before. She had killed millions. Direct or indirect made no difference once it came to that point. It was a stain on her soul tens of thousands of years old.

Never again. The grip on her staff went white knuckled.

• Yay
Draedamyr put the sounds of the humans retreating through the rocks out of mind. They were gone now and no matter what happened today he probably wouldn't see them again. Where Seska had her proclamation to make, Draedamyr had nothing but a stare of contempt for the demons.

"Keep close," he muttered to the blacksmith's boy. Couldn't even recall his name now.

Why? You are such a grand and beautiful being. Yet you are trapped in such a small and limited form. What reason do you have for not freeing yourself

"If you're the end result, I think I would opt for staying on the short side," Draedamyr called out before making a noise of disgust.

To his surprise it seemed to be for more provoking to the demon than he might have hoped for. It signalled for two of its minions to silence the insignificant, impertinent elf.

"Stay back," he muttered to the boy. The two demons rushed up the hill towards them, but it was Draedamyr who closed the last of the gap to meet them on his terms. His blade sang with its raspy voice. It caught the faint light as it moved too quickly to follow.

Draedamyr stood, the two demons twitched where they had fallen. The many-headed beast rattled as it seemed to quiver in anger. All of its faces turned back to Seska as if hoping for a change of heart.

The sorceress made a grimace of disgust, but it was not for the demonic creature's appearance. She had seen foul beasts before, and appearance meant little to her. She had eyes only for the greater of the demons, and barely even noticed Draedmyr slaying the two lesser.

"Do you think anything you can offer me will grant me...more?" There was thinly veiled anger in her voice, but it was not directed at the offer. "This world has limited me. Your world will limit me as well. The only thing that you have done is take things from me, and nothing you could give would replace that which has been lost." There was grief in that statement, bitter and true.

"But more/ Freeing myself? Do you even know what you speak of?" Now there was contempt in her voice. "The last time I was unfettered, a billion souls perished. I was but one hand out of many on the tiller, guiding that world's fate unerringly to destruction. I can feel your desire. I reject it, because your path leads only to an end to all things." Bitter memory welled up, and images flashed through her mind of a world on fire, of the fall of gods. Of cities turned to ashes, of souls - men, women, children - perishing in untold numbers. Madness, death and madness. "Best to return to your home, where ever that is, and bar the gate. Cease your search for whatever it is you seek."

The depth of pathos within the tiny, ancient woman was bottomless. The Sidhe had abandoned civilization long, long before these creatures had ever been born. Reached the zenith of their kind. And now, the decline continued. Fear of what they had wrought once infected all of the survivors from that time, made them shy away from reaching for any one goal, any singular purpose. Searching for the greater good had ultimately ended up destroying an entire world.

A lesson these demons might learn, some day. Or not. "The answer to whatever it is you seek, it is not going to be one you like. Your kind, and humanity, and elfin kind...all of you have yet to learn the bleak, grim truth that only time and ambition bring. Yours is not the truth."

Because there is no truth.

• Yay
Draedamyr reacted more to the notion of a billion souls being snuffed out more than the demons did. Keeping one eye on their foes he tilted his head towards Seska and lifted one eyebrow.

You will leave here with us.

The many-faced demon's wish came through full of confidence. It seemed uncowed by her bold declarations. It rose one arm and the five remaining creatures charged forward. Yet it stayed still.

Perhaps it had heeded them. Draedamyr immediately decided that it hoped to get to Seska with its minions to establish the providence of these claims before it would put its body in the line of danger. Immortal or not, it gave him some hope to know it was concerned for its safety.

There were more immediate concerns for the elf however. The blacksmith's lad swung his hammer with enough ferocity to nearly snap the head from the first demon but two more threw themselves upon him. Draedamyr tried to keep his screams from mind as darted and weaved away from the other two.

He was a swordsman who had master finesse, but there was little of that as he tried to avoid their claws. You couldn't parry a demon throwing its entire weight at you and keep your footing.

Their vulnerable areas were no different than any humanoid. One of them over extended and Draedamyr stepped aside and brought Reverie in an arc over and down. The blade cut deep into the back of its neck and it fell suddenly. Demons they were, but they were no more resistent to the kiss of steel than any man.

She felt utterly tired.

Sorrow lent a certain weight to it, but it was not grief nor excessive magic that bore down on her. No, it was the futility of causes, and the cause before her. She had no idea what the demons sought, and did not care to know. It was ultimately meaningless. They would win or lose their objective...but eventually they, too, would flag, fail. Maybe they would go quietly, melt away from the world.

Maybe they would bring everlasting ruin.

She did not want to fight this thing just to prove herself right, or to save her doomed soul. The fight was pointless, other than to save Draedmyr and the boy who were foolish enough to stand in her defense. She wanted to tell them off, to tell them they were fools...

Instead, with a sad sigh that was equal parts extasy and resignation, she tapped into the source. The power that flowed forth was sweet and sharp, flowing through her ravaged body like acid. Given time, it would eat away at what was left of her. She could not say she did not care, but...

The boy was the first to go down, but she was not about to allow that to happen. Flows of chaotic power, twisting threads delving into the staff she leaned on, interacting with the power vested in that arcane tool years gone. Magnified, she forced order upon it as was her way, her Art. Wind, expertly crafted, ensnared the two demons on the boy and flung them away with the strength if giants, to land rolling across the slimy ground. She made her way to the boy - atvthis stage, the act of magic was becoming difficult, on top of damaging; she needed to touch him to heal. She knelt, careless of blood, and layed a hand on the boy, weaving many elements from chaos itself, forcing they boy's own body to do the majority of the work. Washing away the fatigue that healing would leave behind.

She staggered under the weight of what the healing demanded, coming upright slowly. Blood flowed from her nose, and the mottled bruising of her flesh appeared worse than before.

She faced the many faced demon, power raging quietly within her.

• Yay
Draedamyr stood as tall as he could. His left arm was wrapped tightly around his own waist, the dark patch on his tunic showing where his agility had failed him. The last of the many-faced creatures minions was slowly sliding down the slope like a rag doll.

Seska was going to kill herself, he realised. Even if she didn't kill all of them, she was going to push herself beyond her limits. That melancholy tone of her response to the demon had been something a warning. She would far sooner die than be twisted and used for a dark purpose. Whatever was in her past, it was something she would not allow to be repeated.

Sensitive to the flow of magic, he could feel that power swirling about her. There was another tune carried by the wind. This one was a discordant melody that constantly changed key.

All of the demons faces were lowered towards Seska. Then there was a soft, wet thud. The rusty hilt of an old knife protruded from one of its faces. The bright red was a contrasting splash of colour on the milky white.

If Draedamyr hadn't been so sensitive to magic he would have been swallowed up by the ground as the magic twisted its shape. Dark tendrils lashed out from the hole where he had been standing. The demon pulled back its many razor sharp arms and bore down on the elf.

Acid in her veins. Burning her flesh as that same flesh carried the flow along, the living mind that wielded it growing weaker and weaker with every passing moment. If only the Sidhe could find it in her to care about the damage being wrought...

But I will not be used. Not by them, not by anyone. Never again. Memories of the Great Lord, the Lord Avanth of the Order of the Dead Dragon as it had been called by its enemies, and of the atrocities she had committed in the name of one God, and then another. And another.

The bodies were piled like cord wood in the closet of her past, and they all whispered their silent accusations.

Using the staff as a focus, as it was designed to be used, would slow the process of death down, and by quite a lot...but it was nearing the point where she would have gone beyond any hope of surviving. She was not altruistic in the slightest - long life had not made that trait particularly strong - but if she was going to die anyway, then perhaps one could be spared. Maybe even two.

Blades of magic, given the form that would only slice through another casters weaving, cut through the tendrils and the hole, obliterating them with a a shredding sound to accompany. The demonic magic unraveled beneath that onslaught, even as she deftly wove a barrier before Draedmyr. The shield buckled under a single blow from the demon, shattering into a million glistening shards of magic, but was replaced by another, and then another. They were never meant to last, only to absorb single, crucial blows. For now, Draedmyr was her shield, for the blacksmith boy had not arisen from his torpid position. And might not, for the rest of this battle anyway.

She swayed on her feet with each successive use of magic, as if each were another blow to send her reeling.

• Yay
He knew that this couldn't go on forever. Something would break. Either Seska would lose her grip and those clawed arms were cut him to shreds or she would have to go on the offensive. Also ending in his evisceration.

Draedamyr decided to preempt those possibilities. The barrier shattered into a curtain of shimmering fragments. When it broke he was given a fraction of a second of an opaque shield before it fell. The elf dove forwards, irresecent sparks tumbling around him as he went into a roll.

As he came up Reverie cut up and over his head in a graceful arc. The keen blade severed one of the demons arms, the one that seemed to carry some wicked sword made of obsidian bones.

"Strike it down!" he cried at Seska.

A moment of sadness, and endless second where the world held its breath as she drew a single breath, held it...and then allowed the full flood to rage. Power in quantities that dwarfed anything she had held up until now hammered through her, a rising tide if near sexual ecstacy dragging her upwards, making thought difficult.

If not for the pain. It was nearly more than she could stand, fire in her veins. Like acid, eating away at what was left if her. The part of her that she called herself stood on an island, swift and roaring river of raw chaotic power washing around the edges. Rising higher and higher, tearing metaphorical stone away. The island shrank steadily, and she knew if the river claimed the last vestige of this refuge, she would be lost. Carried away on the flow and obliterated as if she had never been.

Fear flowered, but fear was not her master.

Handling flows of nearly incomprehensible power, she worked swiftly, deftly weaving chaos into order. All of it only took a split second, though it seemed an eternity in her mind.

A bar of light, white and pure, flickered in and out of existence, that brilliant shaft stabbing into the demon with no apparent effect. The morning light dimmed, seemed to ho on dimming until all the world as far as they could see had gone into eclipse.

"The light if this world," the sorceress rasped breathlessly, "I give to you!"

Brilliant, blinding light. More luminous than the noon sun, so bright that it carried with it terrible heat. it pierced the eyelids without effort,made the demon that stood before her - and Deawdmyr, and Seska - seem skeletal, flesh insubstantial and bone the only thing that cast a shadow.

As the pulse of light stabbed down from the heavens, all the sunlight gathered over a distance and condensed into a single, luminous point of heat and light, the Sidhe sorceress shrieked out her pain. It was a sound filled with loss and suffering, grief and resignation. Her slight for was already crumpling to the ground when the light hit, making the ground jump, washing intense heat and concussive force outward.

Her prone body tossed aside like a ragdoll, like refuse to be left in the street...

• Yay
"Seska, are you awake?" Draedamyr called softly. The elf sounded exhausted. There was little despair in the tone of the question, as if it had been asked many times already only to end in disappointment.

As she blinked her eyes open she would find the hazy red sky replaced with whitewashed plaster and heavy wooden beams. The eerie silence replaced with the sounds of children playing outside the open window.

Draedamyr was sat beside the bed. There were bags under his eyes but he looked alert. Almost as if he was prepared to move quickly. As if he had tried to stop the delerious Sidhe from doing herself harm several times over the last few nights.

Seska was under heavy blankets wearing a light gown that Draedamyr had purchased from the owners. Her staff was propped against the wall opposite the window and Draedamyr's chair.

Where does the mind wander when its been physically separated from the body? When the anchor has been severed, and the soul is left to drift in the sea between worlds, cold and dark and devoid of any but the most twisted forms of life? What does it see, what does it experience as it floats for eternity without the home it has always known?

A tale of horror, a journey through every misdeed and every sin that had ever been committed in one life. For many, it would be a short story - long by their standards, but to one such as this woman it would be been but an eye blink, a blip in history.

Memories of the cities she had razed in fire, calling down the Justice of Angelique at one time, and the fires of Barnabas' honor at another. The memories of blood running through streets in rivers, the discarded corpses of the innocent laying in piled heaps where they had fled, met with soldiers, and died. Died in their hundred, in their thousands. Tens of thousands.

Cities reduced to smoking ruins, tendrils of smoke wafting away from shattered timbers and crumbled masonry, streets littered with the dead and the dying, the one silent and accusing, the other moaning and praying to their God or Goddess of choice, the pleas falling on deaf ears. The air tinged dirty brown, the sun a red stain on the horizon through the ever present pall of smoke drifting across a war-torn land.

How to quantify dissolution? How to describe a world where fires rage unchecked, the Gods and Goddesses laying in pools of their own filth, blood from gaping wounds gouged into holy flesh mixing with the shit of their followers and their own pristine selves? The Temples were cast to the ground, their stones cracked and blackened, the priests that had manned the circles and guided the rituals nothing but bloated corpses ringed in swirling flies. The father and the son, locked in death with the mother and the child and their wide-eyed disbelief. A world where even the stones would no longer abide, and the great quakes wrought of the Fall of the Gods brought everything - everything - to ruin. Guilds, cities, fortresses, cathedrals, mountains, islands...everything. Washed away in seas of fire and water and ice until almost nothing lived, and those that did were forced to flee that world if they could.

The end of the Sidhe as a civilization, the end of the time when they had raised a banner to seek power, to join hands in camaraderie and pursue a single uniting goal.

The visions were lashes against a scarred soul, beaten over any number of lifetimes. Forced again and again to see things that most only ever saw once, if they ever saw them even one time in their short, simple lives. Faces and names out of time - friends, enemies, lovers, their features blurred at the edges by the scouring effect of time itself. She tried to call out to them, to call them back from the abyss they had fallen into, fallen away from her to leave her alone and plodding on in one unfamiliar land after another, forever a stranger.

One by one they vanished into the mists of time. Killed, or simply slipped away, forgotten or forgetful of the world as it had been, and of the people they had known. Daughter and mother drifting apart, until the gulf separating them was too vast to be bridged. Scholars holed in their Spires, mired in their own pathos until the bitter, acidic regrets of years gone by ate away first at their souls, and then at their minds.

Forever a stranger.

How to deal with looking back into the cavernous reaches of time, and seeing the once proud brought so low? How to deal with the never ending decline, the continued slipping into total dissolution? How long would it be before everything that her people had achieved at their height became lost, obscured by the denigration of their fall?

It was an answer that had eluded the ancient sorceress for years beyond counting. The soul might wander, occasionally, but it always found its way back to the mortal shell, the the anchor that kept it in a world that was decaying and that no one but her could understand or see as such.

She opened her eyes.

Sweat gleamed on every inch of exposed flesh, and she could not help the faint tremor that rattled a frame that seemed unmarred by the passage of weeks without waking. Or, at least, she had not melted away as humans were wont to do. The blankets were damp with her sweat, as if a terrible fever had finally broken. She stirred, feeling weaker than she could ever remember, and realized that was more or less the truth. Holes in her memory did not permit her to recall how she had come to be here, or what had happened. The terrible pain in her body, though, told the tale well enough.

The sound of laughing children was distinctly out of place, and she suffered from a terrible moment of recollection, there and then gone. A sobbing gasp as she attempted to move, to throw off covers that seemed to weigh nearly as much as the bed itself, and the agony in her joints and muscles that were punishment for the attempt.

"What...," she managed to croak, finally. Lank hair, knotted and tangled, framed her sweaty face as she searched with her eyes, barely able to move her head even. "Draedmyr...?"

• Yay
"Stay still a moment Seska," came his voice. It was firm, but calm and even.

"It is good to have you back." This time the words were a sigh of relief. The elf sat forwards in his chair, which itself gave a tired groan, and placed his elbows on his knees.

Draedamyr was out of his travelling gear. He wore a pale tunic and had a formal coat slung across the back of the chair. Reverie was leaning against the wall in its scabbard, just within his reach.

The relief was entirely genuine. Over the last few days he had started to suspect that Seska had truly spent the last of herself. That last surge of light had seemed to have burned out her own soul as effectively as it had vaporised most of the demon. Even when she had seemed almost conscious, there had been no signs of that fierce intelligence.

"Would you like some food or water?" he asked.

"Water," she said hoarsely, closing her eyes and just breathing for a moment. In, and then out, tasting the air as if expecting something different and finding all the same as it had been. Aside for the pain which was tremendous and would likely not wane for weeks yet.

Too weak to move. It was both irritating and frightening to be at the complete and utter mercy of others, so drained that she might as well have died. How much further could she have gone before the shadowy one came to collect her? There was no way to examine herself to see the harm she had wrought upon herself in that...

...in that what? A look of concentration crossed her features, gradually replaced by consternation. And frustration.

"What...happened? Did they attack the inn?" she queried, sounding puzzled. There was more to what happened on that day - yesterday? - but she couldn't remember it. A melange of pain and suffering, sorrow and exhaustion seemed to lie beneath the surface, thinly covered. Thin though it might be, she could not brush aside the dust to see what was hidden.

• Yay