Private Tales The Last Port Home

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Kaelen Silverblood

The Thirst Knight
Character Biography
Link
How many years had it been? Too many. Far too many. Hearts near empty and hungered for what they knew. A return to the familiar. A return to the familial.

A gray cloak walked down the ramp of a ship from the east. It had been a long journey. Months in fact. Pulling back the hood Kaelen looked around Elbion. This wasn't home. It wasn't Mystmarch. It wasn't Silverhearth. It was time for him to return. Not like the short time he had when his father was passing though. It was time for a true return home. For him. For his men. They had been gone for far, far too long.

The Mystmarch garrison in Elbion, if a converted warehouse could really be called that, was as busy as ever. The combatant and noncombatant forces moved around quickly. This was foreign soil yet what they did was important. The exchange was never ending. They had to ensure the safety of their own coming from the Storm Isles, be a friendly face for their traders, and be the ones that the Elbion authorities went to about all matters regarding Marchers. It was exhausting administrative work that Blackwall hated. He was a soldier, a warrior. His hands were meant to grip bow and shaft not quill and paper. How had the commander dealt with all of it? The black furred wolf just shook his head then went back to staining his fur with a slightly different shade of ink.

A knock on the door offered a distraction from the tedious work. Blackwall sneered in his joy. Looking up he saw a leaner wolf with tan fur. Windpaw from the scouts. At least the younger wolf would be if they were acting like a regular army. Now he was a glorified cub watcher and messenger boy. So much wasted talent. With irritation from the work rather than the interruption Blackwall barked, "What is it?"

With some hesitation Windpaw responded, "Uh. Well...."

"Just say it or get back to your duties."

"Right... The commander is alive and in the kitchen area."

Blackwall froze up. The commander was alive and back? Kaelen was here right now? That silver blooded son of a bi-

Blackwall stood up suddenly, spilling his open inkwell all over the documents he had worked so hard on until now. The wolf began to stride past his junior and out into the open garrison. Past makeshift walls of canvas he bonded until he came to the kitchen area. Sitting at one of the tables enjoying a bowl of beans and a pint of cheap ale was the silvery haired fool himself. Straight to him the black furred wolf went.

Kaelen had watched his men as he enjoyed a familiar meal. Whispers, stares, and a few brave greetings. You would think they had seen a ghost. Probably did. It would seem superstitious to the people of Elbion but for the people of the Storm Isles it was reasonable. Spirits were not as uncommon as the locals would like. Hearing familiar footsteps, Kaelen said without looking up, "Been keeping things in order while I was gone. Good job."

The wolf stopped. "Thank you sir. Glad to see you still breathing."

"A blessing of the gods I assure you. Now, bring me writing materials. I have some letters to send."

"Yes sir. To the council and your family I assume."

"Aye." Kaelen turned to look at his second in command. "It is time we head back home."

Gihada Kierkegarde Caelestis no Elani

“Rrrgh!” Gihada snapped, eyes wild and limbs restrained with iron shackles. When she punched, they shackled her. When she bit, they cinched a leather belt in her mouth. When she kicked, they shackled her legs between a one foot chain. Gihada was a wild beast frothing at the mouth to free herself and run.

Not now. They were so much closer to their goals of finding Caelistis no Elani’s mother and the mystery of her parents’ deaths. They were finally free of her oppressive and dominating grandmother. The soldiers recognized the horses…

… House Kierkegarde war steeds only recognizable to those from the 'March. When word crossed the seas of House Kierkegarde’s missing heir, the soldiers who found Gihada, Caelistis and Rothgar knew the coin would be handsome.

All the soldiers needed was get the girls and warrior home. Rothgar hung in chains, unconscious from the battle. Alive only from the terms of the correspondence spread by the House.

“Oy! Calm down girl we ain’t hurtin’ you. Bringing you home, is all! Back to your witch of a grandmother!” The soldier yanked Gihada along with a laugh, as she struggled and gurgled furious screams. “Gods, y’d think the girl’s angry or such, boys! Must be worth the coin!”

A rousing cheer from the opportunistic soldiers. Gihada swung her shackled hands at the soldier’s face, and broke free of him while he was stunned. Tripping and slamming into the wall supports, Gihada yanked the belt-gag out of her mouth. It hung around her neck as she tried to escape.

“Get away from us! I won’t go back!! Release me you brigands, or I’ll sink your ships to the depths!” She stumbled into the kitchen, catching herself on a barrel of salt pork.

“Grab her legs! Get her to the ground, gag her!” The soldiers rushed, as Gihada stumbled into Kaelen Silverblood’s table and grabbed the bread knife in her shackled hands.

Caelistis groaned. Her head hurt. Her body hurt. Everything… Hurt. She blinked her eyes as she tried to focus her vision. Life was blurry – she could make out armored figures, but she couldn’t quite make out the symbols or their faces. She took a breath of air, only to whimper in pain as what felt like a hundred needles pierced her.

Their was dirt on the ground… No flooring? But, their was stone walls around. What kind of room was this?

She looked up to see her hands tied with leather on a piece of metal. Below her, her ankles tied back against it. The pressure on her shoulder blades hurt, so badly. They were forced to carry her weight. She blinked as one of the guards came back. “Heh. We need your head at least to prove we gotcha.” He chuckled as he held an arrow, stained with blood. It was the blood from the man she killed when they got them.

So close. They were so close to finding out about Elani. So close to finding out their past. But it was too late. They got trapped. Their steeds, with their markings, betrayed them. Caelistis didn’t remember the fight very well. Vague memories of a sword hilt bashing her on the side of her head. No wonder her head ached so.

Caelistis screamed as the man stabbed the arrow into her shoulder. Her body tried to contract, but due to her bindings, she could barely move. She couldn’t cry anymore – no, there were no tears left. “Please…” She whispered as the man punched the stone next to her head. They couldn’t bruise the girls’ face anymore, no. She was too bruised and bloodied already.

They needed the coin. So, they had to at least keep her head recognizable.

Gihada Kierkegarde | Kaelen Silverblood

The surprise on Blackwall and the others close enough to overhear was not subtle. For years now they had been on foreign soil and there was not even speculation of going back. Now their commander returns from being declared missing at sea and he tells them it is time to. It felt surreal to them in every way. It couldn't be true. This had to be the ghost of Kaelen Silverblood playing a trick.

Kaelen just watched his second in command stand there for a moment before he said with a smile, "Writing supplies Blackwall. Now please."

The wolf snapped out of things and nodded before departing as quickly as he had arrived. Kaelen just shook his head and went back to eating as the others began to go spread the news around the garrison. The Silverblood forces would be going back home to Silverhearth.

The joyful moment however was ruined soon enough as a commotion broke out. An elven girl ran into the table Kaelen was sitting at with binding on her. Some of his soldiers followed her in with one of them having a welt on his face. He didn't recognize them. New recruits. A few had shown up on the trader ships with the scholars and mages. What was this situation about exactly? Mystmarch didn't keep slaves and actively discouraged those taking part in the trade. But based on the words this wasn't the case. A runaway most likely. Didn't matter. He wasn't putting up with this kind of behavior in his garrison.

Standing up in a way that pushed his bench out, Kaelen moved between the soldiers and Gihada Kierkegarde . He studied them over as he smiled. "Greetings!" The two soldiers came to a halt with more than a little surprise. One of them even sneered at the interruption. Kaelen just kept smiling as he said, "What is going on here? You are making a mess of the garrison and look at what you have done to this poor young lady. Bound and frightened. That is no way to treat her. Not until she is older and asks for it at least."

The soldiers seemed to be thrown off by his words and then a wink Kaelen followed it up with. They began to spout out the typical tough guy lines. "None of your business old man!" "Leave or get gutted!" "Step aside or you'll regret it!" A complete lack of civility and reasoning between them. Typical of thugs but not up to the standards he had for his soldiers. Seemed they had no idea who they were speaking with nor aware of his standing rules on this sort of thing. This wasn't about to end well for them.

Kaelen chuckled at them. A few soldiers had filtered in because of the fresh rumors about their commander returning alive and the commotion that had erupted. Immediately upon seeing things the veteran soldiers readied themselves. There was about to be blood. Kaelen moved his right hand up and began to stroke his trim beard. "Don't know who I am or what the rules around here are at all it seems. Let's hope the gods are feeling merciful."

With a sudden motion from Kaelen's right hand, the soldiers would suddenly find themselves knocked to the floor. The veterans disarmed them as they kept them detained. Kaelen said as he looked down at the ones on the floor, "I'm Kaelen Silverblood, commander of the forces here, and you broke the rules about being disrespectful, immoral fleas. I pray the gods are feeling merciful towards you this day. I am not."

Another motion had the soldiers lifted off the floor and drug off out of sight. They would never been seen of again. As this happened Kaelen turned to Gihada. He said to her, "My deepest apologizes young lady. Let's get all of this off of you and you can tell me what this is all about."

========

Blackwall was on his way to pick up the supplies from the office. The commander was the same as always. A little too much the same. He should have been more broken up over his father's illness and death still as well as the unknown experience far to the east. It was very strange and worried the wolf. But he had learned long ago not to expect anything out of his commander. The human had a way of always surprising.

Along the way the sounds of a struggle and words caught Blackwall's attention. He stopped then followed them to the source. What he found got a frown from him. A young woman bound and being beaten. Then an arrow was shoved into her shoulder. The frown became a snarl. This went from unacceptable to disgusting.

The scream and whisper did not have long to pass before the soldier suddenly had a sword tip burst out of his throat. The others scrambled in terror to draw their own weapons. It was in vain. The wolf made quick, short work of the inexperienced whelps that dared spoil the good name of Silverblood soldiers. Black fur became dyed with red. Blade and claw saw every throat slit. The scent of rust and iron filled the room.

Blackwall wiped off his sword on one of the corpses then sheathed it. He bent down and cut the bindings around Caelestis no Elani . Standing up the wolf said, "Come." He then began to head back towards the kitchen with a deep frown on his face. This act irritated the wolf, and he didn't even have the materials he was suppose to get. What a waste of time, lives, and a good day.

The silver haired man stood between her and the soldiers, and Gihada used the distance to crawl on her elbows and knees to the sideboard, where a series of butcher knives sat in their wood docket. Gihada grabbed the first knife she could in both hands, clattering to her knees.

“I will never ask for such horrific treatment, you silver-headed curr!” The soldiers prepared for a fight. Gihada raised her shackled hands clutching the knife. In an attempt to get to her feet, Gihada fell onto her elbows, cutting herself on the knife and gritting her teeth against a wail. “Caelistis! Where is she!? Where is my sister!?”

It was a frantic lie, but how else could Gihada find Caelistis no Elani before they killed her?

The men flew to the ground, dealt with. An elven man in Silverblood colours bent down on his haunches close to the chained girl. Gihada shrieked. Fumbled for the knife, until he grunted and yanked a kitchen towel over her bleeding hands. Rolling onto her back, Gihada tried to kick both her legs at him, sliding backward on the floor as fast as she could.

“Easy! Easy, girl.” The elf kept his hands open, taking a key and unlocking her legs, then arms from their bonds. Gihada barked and skittered backward, scrambling to her feet. Her eyes flickered from Kaelen Silverblood and the elf, before she grabbed the key from his hand, and bolted into the hall. Rothgar laid, wrapped padlocked in chains. Gihada dove onto his body, fumbling with the key and undoing the chains.

“Roth! Roth, you have to wake up!” Gihada yanked them off, screaming at the pain in her bleeding hands. She shook the elven man’s shoulders. “Wake up! Rothgar wake up!!”

Gasping and clutching at her companion, Gihada turned toward Kaelen and stumbled to her feet, hands lifted in defence. Wild, fearful eyes never stilled.

“I am nothing! No one! A peasant with no lands and these men attacked me. My companions and I wish to leave! My horses, I am taking my horses!” For a ‘peasant’, Gihada’s shoulders raised in aristocratic posture, her vocabulary clipped and precise. Rothgar stirred. He croaked, then hearing Gihada’s panic raged to his feet.

“Lady Gihada!!” The elven warrior threw his arms around Gihada and tossed her behind him, gripping the chain as a defensive weapon.

“No!” Gihada’s voice rose in pitch. “I’m.. I’m Adette! Adette is my name! You… you are concussed, Roth..”

Panting wildly, Gihada backed into the canvas wall as soldiers hemmed in around them.

“Gihada…”
“The Elf! Lookit her!”
“Kierkegarde’s Heir’s name is…”
“No, she went missing…”
“Seen her before, in…”

“No!” Gihada wailed, the wide eyes of the elven adolescent shimmering in a pale face. “I’m not! I’m… I’m not! I won’t go back, I won’t go back, you cannot force me to go back! Give me Caeli and our horses!”

Caelistis gasped as the pain continued to scream through her body. She briefly looked to the arrow, now stuck in her shoulder as she felt herself dry heave. The flicker of the flames from the torches hurt her head more, each time she looked at it. Even if they didn’t kill her, she prayed she’d die. She never did anything to deserve this!

The guard pulled a dagger out as he dragged it over her collarbone, cutting her just enough for blood to escape. “Dis—” He gargled as the sword pierced through his throat as his body fell over, dying. Then, dead. Caelistis stared at the scene, and the blood which splattered onto her face and dress. Now, she stared at Blackwall massacre the rest. They deserved it, but… Caelistis couldn’t quite place what was happening. Her vision still could not focus.

The next she knew she fell to the ground as Blackwall cut her bonds. She groaned as she hit the ground, every ache in her body seemingly screaming at once before quieting down. She rubbed her wrists and moved her shoulders – as much as she could while she winced and whimpered. It hurt, so much. Even Sama-Kierkegarde wouldn’t have hurt her this bad. She would have at least just killed her.

She was instructed to come, but the man was already heading back. She slowly got up, her legs sore still from the weeks of run and horse riding. She fell back down, finally using the body of one of the soldiers as leverage as she stood again and ran into the wall; while accidentally pushing the arrow further into her shoulder. She groaned as she pushed into the hallway as her vision finally began to normalize, besides the sensitivity to light.

She followed behind Blackwall – until she saw Lady Gihada and Rothgar. “Lady Gihada, Rothgar!” she croaked out as she, somehow, managed to ran to the two teens. She ran into a semi-hug on Gihada, careful to not let the arrow get pushed in further or poke anyone where. “Giha, you’re okay. Roth, you’re okay,” she whimpered out with black and swollen eyes, busted lips, and in general very bruised.

Kaelen Silverblood | Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
Reactions: Kaelen Silverblood
Well the scene playing out in the garrison was certainly a new one for Kaelen. It was new for all the soldiers that had begun to gather. Was this some kind of impromptu play no one wanted or asked for? If only. Instead the silvery gray haired man just watched a young elf girl about have a mental break down as she ran off to her, lover? He wasn't really sure. What he was sure about was the name he heard her called and then the name of the house being whispered. Seemed the runaway was from a noble Mystmarch house. What could she possibly be doing here in Elbion?

Kaelen walked over to Gihada Kierkegarde and Rothgar. He stood in front of them with a raised brow. Studying the pair over for a moment he said, "What do you plan to do with that chain exactly? Not the best weapon to use with someone behind you that you are trying to protect. Good chance you will hit her while swinging it around."

Kaelen pointed vaguely around them as he paused. "Also you have people all around you. If you hit one person here then the whole room would be on you. Not the smartest tactic given the situation. Rethink your approach and put the chain down." He turned his attention to the girl. "And you need to get your hands treated. The kitchen knives tend to be dirty and that could cause cuts to fester. Rather not have that happen. Oh and you should take a few breaths to calm down. No one else here is looking to harm you. If anything it is their duty now to protect you given a noble is in their presence."

Projecting his voice more and glancing around the room Kaelen added, "Right?!" The various soldiers began to scramble off back to their duties. A couple of veterans stepped up and saluted in the Mystmarch style. A closed fist over the heart and the other held along the small of the back. They gave Kaelen a nod then took up positions to guard the pair.

=======

Blackwall was getting annoyed with how slow the girl was. She was a little beaten up and had an arrow in her shoulder. It wasn't fatal and it wasn't like most of the people here hadn't had an arrow or two in them before. The wolf had been shot in the back once years ago himself. People got shot by arrows. It happened. She just needed to either pull it out or get over it already.

Eventually, and not soon enough for Blackwall, the pair made it back to the kitchen. Several soldiers scattered about in random directions after the wolf heard the commander's voice. Something about right. Seemed something else had happened while he was gone. Hopefully not more of the same disgusting behavior he had just dealt with.

======

The sounds of familiar footsteps told Kaelen that Blackwall was back. Good. He needed to get those letters sent as soon as possible while he did his second in command could babysit for him. Turning his head, Kaelen was met with the sight of the large black wolf but also another elf girl. Must be the one Gihada was looking for. He also noticed she had an arrow in her shoulder and his second in command was lacking any writing materials. What a mess this had turned into.

"So Blackwall." Kaelen started. The wolf looked at his commander already knowing what was coming next. "Where are those writing materials I asked for?"

"The office." Blackwall responded back.

"So nowhere useful to me." Kaelen said. "I see you found a lost puppy."

"Aye sir."

"Should really take better care of your pets. Poor thing has an arrow in her and everything."

"It happens sir."

Kaelen just shook his head. He rubbed his face for a moment with both hands then sighed. "Head to the office and get those supplies. While you are there write a report over your part of this incident. You will find us in the infirmary. Going to have you babysit these kids after you do."

Blackwall nodded and headed off towards the office. Kaelen looked at the elves for a bit in silence. Why could nothing be normal for him for once in his life? Always had to be some problem.

"Let's get all of you to the infirmary and taken care of. Between the three of you there should be enough justification for paying the medic today." Kaelen said to them. He waited for their response, but already knew what it would be. They really didn't have much of a choice after all and it was the best idea given the circumstances. After he lead the way to the infirmary with the guards following along to keep them safe.

Caelestis no Elani

• Yay
Reactions: Caelestis no Elani
Rothgar answered Kaelen Silverblood by wrapping the chain around his fists and standing in defensive posture.

“Not a step closer.” His voice boomed, face tempered only by the concussed state of Gihada’s protector. Rothgar staggered, his eyes clouded. He shook his head violently, holding up his fists with the chain. Clouded eyes only flickered once, to look at Gihada’s hands.

“Giha... who hurt you?” A softer voice, and the clank of the chains falling to the ground. Rothgar turned Gihada’s hands over.

“I did. Cut myself trying to get you free. Roth we need to get out.” Gihada pleaded. He stumbled again, slinging his arm around Gihada’s waist and pulling her in as the gathered soldiers saluted.

“That’s a Silverblood. They’re honourable folk, brother of his sits on the Council if my head serves.” Applying pressure, Rothgar looked back on Kaelen. “Your word, Sir. My Lady and her companion safe from harm. She is not safe in the Mystmarch. Not till she comes of age.”

“Roth.” Gihada grunted, taming her lungs from their panic. “Caeli... they have... Silverblood... I... I studied near a Kaelen Silverblood once.”

Blackwell and Caelistis appeared, her friend much the worse for her experience with the Mystmarch soldiers.

“Caeli!” Gihada leapt at her friend, winding her arms around Caelistis no Elani’s waist and protecting her best she could. The arrow was flared at, an evil proof of mistreatment.

“Pets?! How do I know you are true?! Your men attacked and shackled us like rampant slaves. They... forced us here against our will, and stole every weapon, horse and provision we had.” Clutching Caelistis as close as she dared for Caeli’s injuries, Gihada fussed over her friend. “What have they done to you? Silverblood, if you take us back, let Caelistis go. I won’t let her die, I won’t. We ran away. I had to get her to safety, please... let us go.”

One of the soldiers unfolded a parchment from his pocket and slid it to Kaelen. A reward letter.

‘200 gold pieces for Caelistis no Elani dead, portrait above.
1,000 gold pieces for the return of Gihada Kierkegarde, alive, portrait below.’

“Bout fifty letters came in. Sent to every borough and town by messenger. That witch Kierkegarde sent them. She’s had her soldiers scouring the entire Mystmarch. Wants the blonde dead and her precious only heir back.” He kept quiet after, bowing and putting his fist against his heart. “Sorry, Ma’am. Rumour is Caelistis held you against your will.”

Gihada followed in silence to the Infirmary, sitting down when she was asked by the medic.

“No. Tend Caelistis and Rothgar first.” She refused medical aide, until her companions received it.

Caelistis barely noticed Kaelen as she ran to Gihada and Rothgar. She had to be with them, and not separated. Was Lady Gihada okay? Was Rothgar okay? Clearly Caelistis wasn’t, with an arrow sticking out of her shoulder. No tears came but the gasp of air as she found some safety in the embrace of Gihada. "They would have killed me, if they weren't worry I wouldn't be recognizable after daeth when they got my head back to Kierkeborg... That's what they said."

Puppy? Is that really… A pet? She wasn’t an animal! This wasn’t Kierkegarde estate, where she was treated less than. This was… She hid her face in Gihada’s shoulder and neck. Perhaps she was just a pet. A useless thing that could be discarded. That’s what Sama-Kierkegarde thought. That’s what…

She sniffled as she finally glared to Kaelen. “How can you justify what they did to us?” She said coarsely, arrow still in her shoulder. Her eyes eyed the soldier who told Kaelen the bounties on the girls. She shook her head, although the action made her dizzy. “How could I have held Lady Gihada against her will?! She is trained and I’m just a dumb maid,” she hissed somewhat harshly.

Caelistis followed behind Gihada, although very close to Gihada and Roth. Unsure of what the future held, she tried to keep her breath even. The panic was wearing off and the pain worsening. She sat down after medic told her and… They were going to remove the arrow. Oh Gods… Perhaps death wouldn't be as bad.

• Yay
With all of the posturing and acting like tough little fighters going on, Kaelen just ended up sighing. They were just kids and had no idea what the world or life was really like. They were getting a taste of it now but still had no idea. The amount of hostility being thrown his way was understandable but ultimately pointless. They were just having emotions and directing it at him because they didn't know what else to do. Seemed it was time to show some tough love.

Kaelen first looked to Rothgar with an unimpressed look given back to him. "Save your barking for someone you can actually take. If you truly want to protect these girls then learn that violence and threats aren't the way to go about it. A little kindness saves lives more than weighted words and hinted threats."

Next it was time to look to Gihada Kierkegarde and Caelestis no Elani as they were surely glaring at Kaelen by this point. "And you two. Watch your tone. I am from a House far older and more powerful than your own. I am also the commander of the forces here, speak for the council of nobles here in Elbion, and have made more connections on the mainland than any other person from the Storm Isles. You are not in a position to be making demands and making accusations."

The tall man looked down at them with a stern look. Kaelen felt a bit of true anger rising up, but pushed it back down. It had no place here today. These were just kids that needed a firm lesson or they might end up dead next time someone other than he and his men came across them.

"Those were not my men. My men do not force themselves on others. Do not steal or pillage or loot others. Do not capture or kidnap anyone. Not without permission coming directly from me or my second in command, Blackwall, who brought the one with an arrow in her shoulder here. Those men who did this to you are dead men. The proof of such was on my second's claws, or did you not notice the fresh blood on him and the girl? I was trying to save you from more trauma and had the ones after the two of you lovers taken away to have their throats slit."

Kaelen paused to let things sink in a bit for them. They wanted to think they had any control here in this situation but they didn't. That was how most of life was. Control was a delusion. You had to learn to live with the chaos of life and find a way to take advantage of your circumstances. That was a lesson they needed to learn here.

"Now pick yourselves up. Stop acting like spoiled brats and let's get you patched up." With that Kaelen turned and headed for the medical area. He wasn't planning on babying them too much right now after everything he said. It was rough, forceful, and mean. But it was better than letting them think they had some special privilege in a foreign land surrounded by potential enemies.

In the medical area their attitudes were grim. Yet again Kaelen understood. But the noble girl had to act all high and mighty. It was very noble of her to put their well being first, but ultimately pointless. He looked at her and said, "Fine. Hailson. Finnery. Treat those two first. Especially care for the girl. An arrow in the shoulder isn't very fun." The two medics, a dwarf with some gray in his long beard (Hailson) and a bald human with some wrinkles (Finnery), nodded and went to work on the pair of them. Hailson went to focus on Caeli as he was the most experienced with surgery while Finnery looked after Rothgar.

As that happened Kaelen went over to Gihada and knelt down in front of her. He took his gloves off and then took her hands in his own. They were cut but nothing too bad. It would be easy enough to fix with bandages, but he would rather she not be hindered for awhile. He took her right hand first and held onto it with one hand while he traced out a pair of runes with the other. Flawless, Restore, Renew. The three runes were clustered together in a tight triangle. As soon as he had them finished he moved onto her left hand and repeated the same. As he did her right hand would begin to immediately heal up quickly. She would find it itched like crazy in the way a natural cut would while healing. The same would happen when he finished with her left hand. By the time the healing was done it would be as if nothing had happened to her hands. Not even a scar remained.

"There. All better." Kaelen said as he picked up his gloves then stood up. "Now go fuss over your lover and sister."

========

As Kaelen was seeing to Gihada, Hailson examined Caeli over. Bruised, bleeding, and had an arrow in her. Nothing worse than his typical work after a skirmish or battle. The most pressing issue was the arrow. Which is what he went about first. He got his caliper and then broke the arrow shaft. Grabbing the broken piece in her with his calipers, he placed a hand around the wound then pulled back on the arrow as he pushed forward with the hand on her shoulder. It was not painless, but it was steady so what she felt atleast wouldn't change. The arrowhead came out quickly and a wad of clean cloth was placed over the wound with pressure.

"Hold this firmly." Hailson said to his patient. Once she had done as he asked he moved on to finding his needle and thread. Time to stitch her up.

Finnery didn't have to worry as much with his treatment of Rothgar. Mostly he just took a poultice and began to rub it over the man's cuts and bruises. It would sting yet feeling soothing. The activity was mostly just time consuming.

• Yay
Rothgar continued to stumble and blink wildly. He’d taken stomps to the head, his staggering akin to other such soldiers, whose heads received trauma in battle. For one moment, there were three Kaelen’s, then one, then nothing but a silver and blue blur. He did nothing but bark at his own ineffectiveness, then steadied himself with a hand on the pillar of the wall.

“Accusations! You have the chains used to bind us right in front of you!” Gihada flung her hand out, sinking closer to Rothgar and Caelistis. Her dear Caelistis, friend and the closest to family Gihada had left on this lonely road to answers. Yet, Kaelen was not finished. He laid out his policies, and forced Gihada to see the truth of their situation. The offending brigands dead, throats slit. Blood on Blackwall’s paws. Death around them all, for what advantage they attempted to take. “If you speak for the Council, promise me you will not deliver Caelistis to my grandmother! Please!”

She held firm to Caelistis as they walked to the medics. “Maybe we can tell the Council… maybe we can hide until I become of age, and can challenge for the Seat… Caeli, I was so scared they’d killed you.”

Initially, Gihada skittered backward, clutching her hands to her chest when Kaelen Silverblood approached. Her backside hit a table, and Gihada held in a yelp. To know this man was of the Storm Isles in such a way… he would contact her grandmother, he would pack them up and send them back to Kierkeborg. Then, the noble Kaelen knelt at her feet, and drew runes on one palm at a time. Gihada gasped, shoulders near her ears at first, then slowly descending.

“Th.. thank you, Sir Silverblood… um… Roth and I… We’re not lovers… a bit young for that mystery, yet, in Elven kind… but… thank you.” Gihada sniffed and wiped her eye with the back of her thumb, the stress and fear of the day began a slow descent as she turned and rushed to her companions. Perhaps his actions made the truth of what Kaelen spoke sink into the soil of Gihada’s terrified mind, with his kneeling and healing action. They were safe here. No harm would befall them, while they resided in this place, surrounded by Silverblood’s soldiers. Relief returned her shoulders to an adequate posture. Gihada felt like weeping, but for the eyes upon them.

Caelistis required more specialized care, and as she was being tended, Gihada knew better than to get in the way. She gave Caelistis as brave a smile as she could muster, before walking to where an empty bowl, clean rags and a barrel of fresh water sat. Gihada poured water into the bowl, and taking two clean rags, sat beside the now shirtless Rothgar on his pallet. A puffed and sickly wound appeared upon further inspection, as if one of the now deceased soldiers attempted to cut him in half. Wringing out the cloth, Gihada rubbed dirt and blood off his face, dipping back into the bowl to wring it out and wash those areas she could see on his arms, face and hands wherever Finnery was not applying poultices. The elf took the rag from Gihada, dipped it in the water and after wringing it out, wiped at the tear stained dirt on Gihada’s cheeks. Rothgar wiped the tips of her pointed ears, the tip of her nose. He hazarded a brief smile, cupping her cheek with a worn hand and rubbing a tear away with his thumb.

“Roth, your head. Please… Finnery is it? His head… they cracked it. He bled so much his hair looks red, but it’s not.” Untrained in the healing arts, Gihada had no foreknowledge to guide her to the fact that a cut to the skull appeared more serious than it inevitably was. All she knew was he had blood down his back, and his hair was stained with it. She clutched his hand as she turned to Caelistis, watching how Hailson cleaned and stitched the wound.

“I’ll get you some clean water, Caeli… maybe if… did any of your soldiers find our provisions? We have clothes in our packs, I could…” Licking her lips, Gihada searched the soldiers for an affirmation that they found the horses and packs. When no such affirmation came, Gihada stifled another sniffle and sat down on Rothgar’s pallet, healed hands in her lap as he wrapped his arms around her, and rocked, his chin upon her hair.

Caelistis watched with extreme suspicion of @Kaelan Silverblood. Nothing about this seemed right. Why had that man killed the person who was torturing her? Why had he let them go so far? Was it just a ruse to end them? To kill Caelistis and force Gihada back into a forced slavery of noble life? There was a lot of gold for the both of them… Did their purse speak louder than their hearts?

It was answers that Caelistis had no answer for. How could she? She hung on to Gihada, and finally noticed her hands. Blood. She frowned, “Giha…” She whispered as she reached her uninjured arm out to her hand. Concern flashed her bloodshot eyes. Perhaps… Perhaps they would help them.

Kaelen explained – although it did sound much like a scolding. Caelistis gave a small nod as she watched him – less of a glare, more of worry. Where they acting like spoiled brats? She didn’t think so. They were just… Afraid. What else would expect? “I’m okay,” she whispered back to Gihada. Although, in truth, she wasn’t sure if she quite believed it yet.

Nonetheless, they were in the medical room before she knew it. Caelistis grimaced as she saw Hailson come over to examine the arrow. She whimpered quietly, nervously. He removed the arrowhead – and while it was slightly a sharp pain. It wasn’t nearly as bad as how it had been. She gave a nod and moved her other hand to cover the clean cloth over the wound. She knew what was next… Stitches. The worst things, ever. That would hurt more than the actual arrow!

She watched as Hailson found the stitches as Gihada Kierkegarde mentioned something about getting her water. She gave a nod. Caelistis said really nothing else, except a small, whispered, “Thank you,” to Hailson when he returned to stitch her up.

Kaelen just stood back and watched as the kids were all being looked after. Finnery got the poultice on every spot that needed it then began to examine Rothgar for head trauma. There was not much he could do about it other than let it heal naturally and avoid letting the young man sleep for a few hours.

Hailson got to work stitching up Caelestis no Elani . The needlework was tight and neat. It was more like something a tailor would pull off than a medic. The amount of experience the dwarf clearly had with the activity was extensive. In and out the needle went through flesh. He made sure to do it as quickly as possible as well to reduce the amount of blood the girl would lose.

As the medics continued to care for the girls, Blackwall arrived with the writing materials Kaelen requested. With a nod in thanks the silvery human took them and went to a table. He got to work on the letters he needed to send out. One needed to go to his family and the other to the council. He needed to inform them he was still alive, a general outline of what had happened, and then let them know he would be returning his men back to the Isles.

Kaelen knew it would take some time for them to be able to leave. Replacements needed to be sent by the council to take over their duties and space needed to be readied when they got home for the sudden influx of people. There was more that needed to be prepared for them by his brother as well. Things promised and things Kaelen wanted for those of his men that didn't have anywhere to go if they left their life of fighting.

While Kaelen wrote and the medics worked, Blackwall just stood off to the side and watched. It seemed he was going to have to baby sit soon. Couldn't be harder than baby sitting the commander.

Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
Rothgar was laid down on his side, head propped on pillows to align it better with this spine. His eyelids grew increasingly heavy, throat parched regardless of what he consumed. Pulling the thin coverlet over his shoulders, Gihada whispered in his ear, her eyes following Kaelen Silverblood as he sat to conduct some correspondence.

Gihada sat with the bowl in her lap, and flexed her fingers. A deep breath filled the room with an ocean-wave fluctuant sound, soft as a woman at peace. Her hands raised, and the murky water she’d cleaned herself and Rothgar off with quivered, then lifted as one large sphere. The impurities swirled, trailing out of it into a waste bin, dry as dust. The water illuminated the room with its’ own shimmer, as Gihada charged it, then let the water drift back to the bowl.

Sweet, sweet water. She gasped at a thrashing pain in her back, walking the bowl to Caelistis no Elani and setting it beside her. Taking a new cloth, Gihada wetted it, and started washing Caeli’s feet, careful of any sores. Wounds could fester and go septic too easily in a new environment, where the body had no immunity to a region’s unique woes. She wiped her hands, and taking a cup, offered Caeli a long, cool drink while Hailson worked.

“You’re brave. I know you.” Gihada whispered in her friend’s ear, holding to her arm away from Hailson and his needles. Caeli always did hate stitches…

The wolfish second in command appeared to be staring. Gihada squared her shoulders and walked over to him, momentarily wiping the aftermath of tears from her eyes.

“My horses. Our packs. You must have a stable, the brigands wouldn’t have taken them elsewhere, I must ensure the horses are well. They’re Kierkegarde steeds. They bond with their riders and battle in distress, I don’t want them or anyone getting hurt. Please. My horses. I must see to their calming.”

Caelistis whimpered with pain as the needle and thread worked its way through her small wound. She kept her eyes closed to make sure she did not see the thread weaving inside and out of her skin. She heard Gihada next to her, touching her arm. She was brave.

Was Caelistis brave? Perhaps. But, she wasn’t as brave as Gihada Kierkegarde was. Thankfully, the stitching process was fast, and Hailson knew what he was doing which tremendously reduced any pain she had. That was a blessing from the Gods, in truth. And Caelistis knew it. She sipped the water down her parched throat with a joy she never thought she’d have.

Sweet, cold water. “Thank you, Lady Gihada…” She whispered as she cleaned her feet.

Her eyes glanced to Rothgar with a small frown. The poor man… He had defended Caelistis and Gihada so much. She hoped he would recover okay. He had too. “Is he okay..?” She asked, to no one in particular.

Her attention then turned to Gihada, who was asking Blackwall about the horses. “Please, sir Blackwall, sir Silverblood… Are the horses okay? They were our lifeline for so long…” She winced as some pain tugged through her body.

Kaelen Silverblood

• Yay
Kaelen continued to write. There was far too much to put into the letters. Far too much needed to be told. He was the only Marcher to have gone as far east and south as he had been and come back alive to tell it. A hopeful yet grim thought. So with so much important information needing to be recorded he continued on just ignoring the general situation around him.

Blackwall continued to watch the young ones. They seemed to be stable now. The light haired one even had the arrow removed from her shoulder. That was good. She didn't even cry while getting stitches. Even better. It meant he didn't have to listen to the annoying noise. But it seemed the annoyance was shifting to something else. The black haired one, who was the noble of the group, began to make demands. What kind of situation did she think she was in? Nobles. They were always so full of themselves.

Blackwall just looked at Gihada Kierkegarde and said, "No."

Blackwall then turned his attention onto how things were going with the medics. Then Caelestis no Elani asked how the horses were doing. She actually said please. He liked her better. He looked to her and said, "They are safe. Being taken care of."

With that Blackwall was done answering their questions. Well the light haired girl's polite question. The dark haired one just rudely made demands. Good thing they found them or they likely would have been in worse trouble by now. The thugs and thieves of Elbion's darker side were not so kind.

• Yay
"His head, Caelistis... He was stumbling around like a drunken man. Please, if you are able, can you watch over him?" Soldiers, they thought down on her because she was Noble born? Whatever Gihada did to offend the vile creature known as Blackwall, she promised herself the chance to release herself from his insipid 'care'. Growling at his 'No', Gihada looked to Rothgar and Caelistis no Elani. So he would answer Caelistis, but not herself?

"So please only works when she says it?" Standing up from Caelistis' and Rothgar's sides, Gihada ran her hand over Caelistis' shoulder before standing up to her new captor.

"Pardon, I have known you for nary a minute. I know not your quality but for the blood on your paws to save my companion. We were put through quite enough today to be separated from the rest of our group, and although you would know how to handle horses, you do not know Kierkegarde Steeds. You have seen none of this quality, for I bred the mares and stallions, and reared the foals myself. They will not settle until they know their companion riders are well. I cannot take a peaceful moment to relieve my own fears, without knowing for myself that my companion animals are finished their current suffering. If you would rather be fawned over by a terrified girl, whose life was on the line for more pleases and dear sir's, so be it. I will find them myself. You neither own us, nor them, and now that I know the quality of your Commanding Officer, I understand we will not be harmed. Thus, if you will pardon me." Gihada pushed past Blackwall and down the hall, listening for the sound of horses in the distance. They had to be near, the soldiers wouldn't have been able to ride them out, nor handle them on a bridle...

Gihada walked on, using her ears and nose to sense out where their horses had gone. In the near distance, she knew she could hear the bray of an unhappy horse, and despite her soreness and fatigue, ran toward it. Kaelen Silverblood

Caelistis stared ahead, her eyes briefly dancing from the figures in the room. Although, she mostly focused on Gihada and Rothgar. They were so injured, or at least Rothgar was. Caelistis may have been seriously injured, too, but... She felt so out of it. Maybe it was just her head. She inhaled as she tried to think about what to do.

What might happen next. Caelistis gave a small nod towards Blackwall at the mention of the horses being safe. Although her cheeks turned a bright red as Gihada confronted the man. "Giha..." She whispered, her hand brushing after her as the girl spoke to Blackwall then left the room. Caeli frowned, pulling her legs up to her chest and wrapping her arms around herself.

Is this all life had to offer?