Private Tales The Hunt For The Jackal

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Irithiel

Banned
A Wild Gnoll was snoring in the forest surrounded by blood and bones of his prey. He twitched and turned possibly dreaming of playing with a bone or hunting more prey little did he know was that a one-eyed Elf snuck into his territory with a potion in his hand. The Elf knelt next to the animal and held out the potion for him to sniff it. It filled the bottle with a mixture of rotten meat and spoiled eggs. The rancid meal a Gnoll enjoys, as soon as the Gnoll sniffed it, the Elf grabbed him by the scruff of his neck ignoring his yelping and threw him off the cliff where he landed hard on to the floor.

The one-eyed Elf adjusted his scarf that was wrapped around half of his face. As he did so, his fingers brushed past his scar etched on his cheek. The Elf frowned before clenching his fist watching the Gnoll recover from his fall and watching a Hill Giant emerged from behind the large Oak Trees gawking at the Gnoll who began whimpering. “Food,” the Giant’s mouth was salivating as soon he saw the animal. The Gnoll was a tiny morsel compared to him and there was no way he’ll satiate his seemingly endless hunger but The Elf didn’t throw the Gnoll to feed the Giant but to distract him.

The Gnoll ran deep into the forest continuing to yelp while the Hill Giant began to lumber after him. His footsteps thundering as he moved. The entire earth around the Hill Giant shook, and the Elf had to maintain his balance though he was smirking when he saw the Hill Giant out of sight. The Elf dropped off the cliff and entered a cave behind him, inside was a cache of weapons and food mostly Elven bread and bottles of Elven style Vodka. The Elf inspected the daggers and grenades that laid before him testing their sharpness and grabbing some Elven arrows to place in his empty quiver.

After arming himself, the Elf headed for a desk located near the fireplace on it was a letter that had the Fal’Addas seal on it. Sighing a bit, the Elf opened the letter and began to read it:

Irithiel,

Sorry for summoning you back, I know you were just beginning your vacation after your mission at Vel Anir but I have no one to turn to for this mission and with the rest of the Black Operatives scatter all over Arethirel you're all I got. We found Irithiel: The Jackal you know him as Jack the Ripper. A mass murderer of Elves and has even defeated six of Black Operatives in single combat. The Jackal was placed on top of the list as the most dangerous criminal on Fal'Addas. Despised by not only Elves but Humans as well. There has been a bounty placed on his The Jackal's head so large that not even the most stupid of human bounty hunters would ignore it.

But The Jackal is one not to be trifled with which is why I'm deploying you Irithiel. He needs to be taken out with an Elven blade, The Jackal was last located near The Spine, that's a 3-week trek from where this drop zone is. Our scouts reported that he's surrounded himself with Sphinx Warriors and a mercenary company called: The Knights of The Fallen. You've fought against them before Irithiel: Disgraced Knights looking to get back on the good graces of a human lord. You've made a name for yourself killing them and they sure remember you. As much as the Knights what to chop off your head and present them to the Vel Anir King, you can handle them.

You won't be working alone, I have your contact the Bard from Allria. After this mission, you won't have any more for the rest of the year. It's the least I can do for you since you agreed to sacrifice your vacation time to take this mission. She'll meet you at the drop zone.

Mara Mesta Aldwine, (Safe journey old friend)

Lieutenant Baldor.

Irithrel closed the letter and slumped onto the wooden chair. Kalianna Romane his old contact, they've been working together for years with Kali assisting Irethril with assassination missions. She was different from other humans grace and skill with a blade and a gifted tracker dare he say just as good as an Elf. It'll be interesting seeing Kali again.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Kalianna Romane
The Stonelit Tavern roared with life, the air alight with the cheering of men and the stomping of feet. Yet no sound roared louder among the flagrant display of festivity than the quick and vibrant song conjured by a violin, delighting the drunken crowd with songs of the hearth and the mug alike.

Around the walls of the tavern's interior, it appeared as though it were made up of ancient and towering trees ripened with bushes of leaves that hung above them. A cursory check would reveal that a single touch would pass through them, yet the sight alone was enough to transport a captive audience to an otherworldly realm of song and dance. Fireflies danced in the air, glowing beads of light that brightened and dimmed in tune with the song.

The bard at the center of it all, a fancifully dressed woman with a violin in hand, stood upon the tables. Her feet tapped the surface with a delightful dance, sparkles of magic leaving her touch as colorful splashes of water-like vibrancy. Illusory butterflies floated off her violin like music notes, gently floating just above the sea of drunks as they flew en mass around the tavern.

The crowd cheered, hoarse voices chiming in with their favorite verses as the performance continued. Boots beat the floor as the song continued, each person clearly lost in the festivity of the moment.

Yet all good things must come to an end, for the drinking song began to quiet and slow. Kalianna's voice was soon all that remained, a lingering lyric that all would surely recall as a highlight of her performance. The illusions that dotted her stage slowly unraveled before their eyes as the bard herself leaned down with a dramatic bow.

A sudden, overwhelming mass of cheers struck her—the hallmark of a successful job.

A single sentence was enough to quiet them down, "Thank you, thank you all! It was my utmost and greatest pleasure to perform for all of you lovely lads and lasses tonight." As she bowed, she could almost see something catch the corner of her eye, though she couldn't;t say whether the figure had only just entered or had observed her the entire time.

Was that Irithiel?

• Sip
Reactions: Irithiel
Squirrel on a stick, it has become a delicacy for Irithel over the years as a commando especially when doused in honey after it has been thoroughly cooked. Irithel is certain that the average Elf doesn't see it that way and he doesn't blame them, for the majority of his long life, Irithel was a solider specifically a black ops commando who was committed to protecting Elven interests. He has committed atrocities, assassinated leaders and other things that Irithel dare not think about again.

The Elf was tortured, beaten to near death and was hung by the racist bigots of Vel Anir. He even lost an eye to those people, Irithel ran his fingers across the place where his eye has been gouged out another memory he wished he could purge. If there was one thing Irithel envy humans was their short lifespan. They can come into the world and easily die out not Irithel, 450 years of constant fighting and warfare and he can remember it all and the worst part is Irithel needed the battlefield it was all he knew.

Getting up, Irithel held out his palms and symbols started to form around them. The Elf clasped them together and immediately multiple portals started to pop up. "Irithel is that you?" A yawning voice echoed through the portal as the creatures he Irithel summoned emerged.

proxy.php

"Yeah it's me," Irithel sat back down and began eating his Squirrel on a Stick. The summoned Dogs began to stretch as soon as the portal closed sniffing around the place to get a feel for where they are. "It's been years Cedric."

The brown Pug leaped near Irithel and smirked. "Indeed it has," he said looking around. "Five years to be exact."

"I didn't know you were counting."

"There's no war this time," Cedric said sniffing around. "Last time you summoned us it was against Vel Anir soldiers at a settlement near The Spine. I got wiped out by Dreadlord's fire spell what was the outcome of the battle."

Irithel continued to eat. "An Elven victory," Irithel said. "We managed to get a foothold on the Spine, The Dreadlords have been poking their noses in the lost Elven ruins. Our archeologists are now working to decipher the information."

Cedric shook his head. "Well that's going to result in a pogrom," he said licking his paw.

"It did," Irithel said. "There was a massive purge in Vel Anir where 500 Elves, Dwarves and other nonhumans were slaughtered in streets." The Elf snorted. "Vel Anirians," he said spitting near the campfire. "They lose they commit atrocities as a result. Violence is all Vel Anir knows. It's their nature, if they could they'll kill all of the nonhumans and then they'll turn on each other."

Cedric raised a brow ridge. "That sounds like you," he said.

Irithel growled. "Don't compare me to a human," he replied.

"Elves and Humans have more in common than you think Irithel," Cedric said sitting straight. "Anyway you've summoned us here for a reason and I don't think it's to catch up on old times."

Irithel handed the Pug a letter that was wrapped in a green string. "It's for Kalianna Romane ," he said. "She is to meet me here, we are going to undertake a mission to kill a man named The Jackal."

Cedric nodded. "I see," he said. "The one human that you can tolerate yes? I'm surprised you two are still in contact with each other."

"Not for awhile Irethril muttered taking huff from his pipe. The Pitbull walked in between them and took the letter in his mouth. "So this Jackal?" Cedric asked. "How much do you know this target?"

"Enough to know that I need Kianne's help."

"This missions came from the top."

"As always."

Cedric jumped down from the seat sighing. "Irithel," he said. "You need to say no sometimes it won't kill ya you know?"

Irithel continued to stare at his half-eaten Squirell on a stick. "You have her scent," he said. "She shouldn't be far.

"Oh I know her scent," Cedric said beginning to exit the cave. "She always has this nice perfume. What was it called? An Elbion Fragrance. Quite common amongst nobles."

"I never knew that you were an expert on women's scents," Irithel said smiling a little. "What aren't you telling me Cedric?"

"Part of my job and yours," he said simply. "Kianne will meet you in the Allrian forest right?"

"She knows the way," Irethil said.

The Dogs ran out of the cave at an astonishing speed leaving Irithel alone to continue eating his meal.

• Wonder
"I'm afraid, however, that I must take my leave!" She announced to the drunken crowd, rising from her bowed position. A few aw's and saddened remarks emanated from the crowd like droplets of rain, yet the mass of patrons began to disperse to their respective tables and rooms as they wistfully recalled the performance that occurred just moments prior.

Kalianna gingerly stepped down from the table she was perched upon, her eyes peering through the crowd to see if her sight was correct. As a few dwarves stumbled away to the stairs, she finally saw them: A large pack of dogs, a collection of various breeds that all sported a similar outfit.

The bard crossed her arms, a smirk playing on her lips. "Let me guess, Ire's in need of some help?" She took the letter from Cedric's jaw, walking out of the tavern as she read it closely. So he needed his help taking down someone called 'The Jackal,' it seemed. She's heard some about them, they're quite the dangerous fellow for elves and humans alike. "Not the type to invite people over for a chat, is he?"

Well, it's not like she had nothing better to do today.

The steed she rode upon trotted through the forest, arriving at a cave filled to the brim with Elven rations and drinks. Her gaze immediately went to Irithiel as she slid off the horse's saddle, rapier at her side and letter in hand. "So," she began, "I heard you were looking for some help with an assassination—of the Jackal, no less?"

• Sip
Irethril was already finished with his meal when he saw Kalianna arrived at the safehouse. She was the only human who knew of the safehouses the commando inhabits. Normally letting anyone know about them but Irethril trusted Kalianna with his life. She was a one of a kind human unlike the others especially Vel Anirians. Cedric and the Dogs approached around Kalianna as Cedric got up. "Good work Cedric," Irethril.

"Oh so no reward for working my ass off," Cedric rolled his eyes while snorting to wet his nose. "You're quite the summoner Irethril."

"It's probably the most exercise you got in the last five years," he said. "You've been growing a gut there Cedric."

"Yeah whatever Irethril," Cedirc sat on the ground he and the dogs beginning to fade away. "Next time why don't you go and approach the lady yourself! Unless you you're too love struck to strike up a conversation."

The one eyed Elf said nothing as the group of dogs began to disappear, he only summoned them for a little while so the spell was about to run out. "Don't mind him," Irethril said approaching the weapons workbench examining the knives and swords that lay on it. "He likes to run his mouth it nearly got him incinerated in a battle against the Vel Anrians five years ago."

Cedric and the pack of Dogs were very loyal companions though. Irethril had trouble admitting it but in a way they were his closest friends. He didn't want to get too attached, in his line of work many Elves who Irethril cared about were killed or too far gone. Through wars or victims of non-human hatred, Irethril had seen the many ways that people die.

"The Jackal is located near The Spine according to Elven intelligence," the One-Eyed Elf said. "He's been terrorizing the villagers, raping, pillaging and burning. He's a wanted man by the humans and Elves but command is more concerned on who his lapdog. He's mercenary who doesn't for free."

• Popcorn
Kali let out a brief chuckle at the back and forth between the dogs and Irethril, taking the moment to lean against a cave wall. Her arms crossed, her gaze gently flitted between them in silent amusement—though her brow did raise slightly at Cedric's last remark.

Still, she remained silent until they were dismissed, vanishing off to wherever they resided when Irethril wasn't in need of them. "If I was a magical dog gifted with the power of speech, I'd run my mouth quite a bit too, to be fair." The bard let out a soft laugh, moving next to Irithel as he inspected the workbench.

At the description of the Jackal, Kalianna nodded. It tracked with what she knew of him, though word on the streets always tended towards hyperbole and exaggeration. If she were to hazard a guess, though, it'd be that those rumors weren't far off the mark.

"So I've heard," she mused. "Is there anything more specific than that? Last known location, most recent village attack—anything that could establish a pattern or trail that could give away his next location."

So long as they encounter the merc a single time, and in that period she gets in range with her coin, he couldn't escape for long. If he ever went to meet his boss while under the enchantment's spell, well, that was just two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
A rare smile left Irethril's lips as he placed the Elven weapons he'd had been inspecting onto slots of his light armor. It was originally the uniform of Lúna Soron a dark green kilt that had the black ops insignia on it but years of fighting had the uniform stained with dried blood and gore. The holes were on the uniform were replaced with pieces of armor of the humans, dwarves and rogue elves that he killed. Irethril was once proud of this uniform and did his best to keep in top condition, but eventually he neglected it and it fell into ruin.

"I was thinking of buying a muzzle the next time he opens his mouth," Irethril chuckled. "Don't make buy two."

Kaliana possesses a coin that once a person is in range it then they can easily track them down. An elusive man like The Jackal it could be simple to take him but Irethril knew that nothing came easy. "That's where we come in," Irethril said. "The Jackal is known to attack hard enough to make his presence known and then disappear."

The one eyed Elf placed his right knuckles against his left hand giving it good crack. "We simply have to follow the trail of burning villages." he explained. "I also got a contact with a Monster Hunter in one of their safehouses called the Gilded Vale. He's a Ravenfolk named Gea and he probably has some answers."

• Popcorn
"It'd be a waste of money if you did, you'd never get to put it on."

An amused smirk arose as she delivered the playful retort, though it quickly fell away as the discussion drifted back into the realm of mercenaries and bounties rather than arcane companions and muzzles. She was talkative, yes—most bards tended to be of the same sort, it came with the profession—but on the rare occasion matters called for a degree of seriousness, she was willing to cut to the chase.

Following Irethril's explanation, Kalianna chimed in, saying, "Wait for the sword to strike, then follow the blood. Simple enough, at least on paper. I imagine the Jackal has a few tricks up his sleeves, but nothing we can't handle."

Their previous missions as a team had all ended up successful, and they worked well as partners. She may not have been the most active in seeking out dangerous escapades of combat, trials and adventure in recent months, admittedly, but she certainly wasn't rusty. She knew enough about Irethril to know he wasn't the kind of person who could, or perhaps even would, step away from such a life for too long. Together, they'd be able to handle this Jackal, she was sure of it.

The illusionist nodded at the mention of a contact.
"I've heard good things about Monster Hunters, they should be a good help. Tracking a wanted murderer can't be too different from a monster, right?" Glancing about the room for something resembling a map, she asked, "So what's our first stop? I imagine we don't exactly want to dilly-dally too long."

• Wonder
Irethril chuckled at Kalianna "you'd surprised how forceful I can be," he said placing his knives and swords on their respective hilts before taking the quiver full of arrows off the wall. "We shouldn't underestimate him true," he said swinging his the quiver over his shoulder. "The Jackal may appear to be dim witted but he's got a warrior's instincts."

The One Eyed Elf knew that all too well, to have your intricate plans fail due to the opponent being more clever than you or just plain bad luck that you had no choice but to rely on your instincts and what you were trained to do. Irethril had done it so many times, that many Dreadlords assumed that he was rabid Elf in which he often turned the tables on them. Typical human arrogance though Kalianna was better than most humans that he encountered.

"Depends on the Monster," Irethril said grabbing his bow. He knew that she was looking for a map and took the wrapped up one off the table tossing it to her. "Some are dumb mindless brutes who are easily spotted, others can be as intelligent as any sentient being. The Jackal will be a challenge, he's kills indiscriminately and without remorse. I wonder what goes through that head of his."

It wasn't like they have a picture of his face, every wanted poster had his face obscured by a horned helmet. No one has ever seen him without it "I want to go straight to Gilded Vale," Irethril. "That's the name of the safehouse unless you have something in mind."

Irethril and Kalianna have been partners for years, admittedly the young woman had saved his life countless times. She was.... friendly for a human then again the majority of humans that Irethril met were Vel Anirians who wanted to kill him and vice versa. She was also the only human who knew the struggles that Irethril went through when he was imprisoned in the Vel Anir dungeons. Something that he had yet come to terms with.

"I imagine a lot of empty air, maybe a small, decayed husk of a brain, a little 'Be Evil!' poster," she mused comically, double-checking her equipment as the idle response filled the air. Her iconic rapier, her weapon of choice, was of course held at her hilt in much the same condition as it had been the last time Irethril saw her.

Her hand dug into a small, hidden pocket, searching for a moment before meeting what felt like intricately carved metal. Her fingers slowly ran along its surface, exploring the twin dragon coin's divots and edges as her other hand caught the map. The coin would prove invaluable during this mission, so it was best to make sure it was kept safe. Having it roll away a mile away from the village when they meet the Jackal would be an embarrassing ordeal, to say the least.

Opening the map, she quickly scanned the parchment for the Gilded Vale. After a brief period of searching, her gaze landed upon the red marked point over what she presumed to be the safehouse. It was a little out of the way, but the trip shouldn't be a long one."To Gilded Vale it is, then. Time to meet this other contact of yours," she agreed with a slight smirk near the end."

Kalianna turned around, handing the map back over to Irethril as she moved towards her steed. "I don't suppose you need a ride?" She gestured towards the saddle as she glanced back towards the elf, not imagining he'd enjoy walking the entire distance.

• Sip
A rare smile formed on Irethril's face, if anything Kalianna knows how to make him smile. She stated it was a goal of hers when they first met. Mission accomplished though Irethril would never hear the end of it. "It's funny how he calls himself the Jackal." He said. "Jackals are opportunistic animals, they only pounce when they see their prey lie wounded. They're scavengers willing to sit back and watch events unfold. This man is a monster one who enjoys violence and kills without remorse."

Irethril would've suspected that the Jackal was working with the Vel Anirians if not for the fact that he did massacres in their territory as well. It was hard to get a consistent pattern on The Jackal, one moment he was killing in the villages near Elbion and the next few weeks Allira. Irethril suspected that the Jackal was using the Portal Stones to travel which made it difficult to track him down.

The One Eyed Elf shook his head as he headed out of the cave. "Horses aren't my thing Kalliane you know that," he said. "I prefer to move through the trees, we Elves can jump from branch to branch faster than on Horseback. We're in tuned to nature that way."

Irethril then smiled. "You want to know what it's like?" he said. "If you want to hop on my back than you will experience first hand how Elves can easily mobilize quickly."

• Popcorn
"Right, I forgot you preferred the tiring way," she replied sarcastically. She knew the speed he could travel at was nothing to scoff at, easily matching a skilled horse in the dense forests the Falwood was known for, but it always did seem so exhausting having to travel constantly without a mount.

Perhaps if she grew up an elf though, raised to leap from branch to branch effortlessly, having a horse be one's sole means of transport would seem just as limiting. It was all down to a difference in upbringing, she supposed. Life in the city, especially one as dense and void of open nature as Alliria, was awfully different from the verdant canopies of the Falwood.

At the offer, she rose a cautious eyebrow, musing over the thought. The bard had always wondered how it'd feel to move so fast among the trees, and she could maybe even pick up a trick or tool along the ride. How difficult could it be, after all? Well, besides the risk of breaking a branch and a bone as a result. She supposed that was a bit of difficulty to the process.

After a moment of consideration, she relented and shrugged. "Why not?" Glancing over at her horse, Kali ran a hand down its mane as she told it, "Just follow us, keep to the road." The loyal steed let out a whinny of what she presumed to be understanding. Assured of her mount's ability to follow her, her gaze returned to Irethril. "Alright, let's see that elven agility in action, shall we? Take me away!" She exclaimed, looping an arm around the elf's back so that she could experience the thrill of elven travel herself.

• Wonder
"I prefer it to be the most liberating way," Irethril chuckled a bit surprised that Kalianna was serious about hopping on his back. "Horses can stink of piss and shit and are known to be quite flighty in battle. I've seen plenty of riders die falling off their horses and breaking their neck because their Horses gave into fear." Kalianna on the other hand was a passionate horse she was always encouraging Irethril to ride though he often refuse.

Still he understood Kalianna's reluctance to leave her Horse behind despite ordering him to follow them. Irethril approached the Horse placed his hand on him and muttered a spell. His hand began to glow a bluish tint as the Kalianna's Steed neighed in confusion. "This spell will have the Horse know where we are," he said. "And vice versa, worst case scenario I can take control of the Horse leading him to us."

It was then that Irethril grimaced when Kalianna placed his hand around his back. He hated being touched, it was mostly due the constant wars he's been in combined with spending two years in an Vel Anir prison being tortured. Only a select few people were ever allowed to touch Irethril and Kalianna was one of them. "To the Spine," Irethril said smiling a bit his beating heart slowing down.

The Elf then leapt onto the nearest tree and began hopping from branch to branch at astonishing speed. Irethril made sure to keep Kalianna around his back as he hopped through the trees as quick as a lemur yet faster in every way.

• Popcorn
Kalianna made sure to loosen her grip at the sight of Irethril's grimace, knowing full well his pained relationship with touch. The inside of a Vel Anir prison was something she herself had no experience with, but she needed no experience to know that two years in one could change somebody. The Anirians were harsh enough on their human neighbors; an elven enemy knew no solace within their walls, she knew that for certain.

After a moment of gingerly ensuring her touch wasn't too uncomfortable, it seemed they were ready to take off. "Alright, it'll be a bit of a tr—"

The sudden rush of wind that blasted in her face quickly cut her words off as the elf heaved his form through the air, deftly landing on a nearby branch. Her mind hardly had time to even consider what expletive to shout wildly into the air before they were in the air once again, hardly even making contact with the tree branches as they soared through the canopy.

"Oh gods," she began, spitting out a leaf that had found its way in her mouth, "this is way less fun than it looks. I feel like a cape, hanging on like this." Her head darted to the side to avoid a particularly low-hanging stick, watching it fly past as they continued their journey through the trees. Up here, she was little more than a sorely unprepared backpack, simply coming along for a high-velocity jaunt between branches.

It certainly was a unique experience, she had to say.

• Dab
To the Elves the forest was a sacred place where all life was created. It was said that the Elves were created by the Gods to serve as guardians for natural world. The built their homes around the trees, taught themselves became one with nature and encouraged patience. Thanks to the Elves' natural athleticism and attunement with nature, they were able to practically jump around through the tree branches with ease. Irethril always found it exhilarating being able to run through the forest like a blur of motion. Kalianna on the other hand found it difficult.

"If I keep this up," Irethril smiled. "The other Elves will see me as a human noble then if you're flying around like a cape."

After a few moments, the two of them arrived at the outskirts of the Spine. Irethril placed Kalianna down gently to catch her breath while he scouted the area out. "I'll give you some time to vomit," Irethril grinned staring at the Ice Oxen migrating through the field. "The Gilded Vale isn't too far."

• Sip
"If you keep this up, you'll be cleaning up vomit off of that armor of yours," she muttered through nauseated breaths, desperately desiring the stability and stillness of solid ground to the wanton movement of tree-striding. Perhaps under different circumstances—namely not being carried like a cloak—the experience wouldn't have been such a daunting one, or perhaps her feet were simply meant to travel along roads and city roofs.

As they set foot on sweet, sweet solid ground, Kalianna immediately turned around to find a suitable area to dispose of her nauseous waste. A few moments later, she returned to Irethril's side commenting, "Next time, we're traveling my way. I can strap you to the back of a horse with a loose rope if you miss jumping through the trees."

Returning her attention to the matter at hand, she followed Irethril's gaze as he mentioned the Gilded Vale. "Great, we should make it in record time then." She began to move forward in what she knew was the vague direction of the safehouse, deferring to her companion for more specific direction.

• Haha
Irethril gave Kalianna a small smirk and began walking towards the Gilded Vale. "I've actually was strapped and dragged by Vel Anrian cavalryman once," he said. "Wasn't the worst thing I've endured you'll be better off summoning Cedric chatting about how he was able to remove lice from his fur."

The One Eyed Elf then stopped. "In matter don't do that," he said remembering how much Cedric would spend half a day discussing mundane and trivial things. "But knowing you Kalianna you'll probably take his stead talk about human philosophy just to annoy me."

Kalianna loved teasing Irithiel it was almost if it was like she wanted to annoy him or to get him to smile. She always felt that Irithiel was too broody but he would remark that the world hasn't gave him a reason to smile. After a few hours the pair arrived at the Monster Hunter safehouse, Irithiel hasn't been in the Gilded Vale for years but everytime he came he was usually treated well.

Usually.

proxy.php

As they entered the door the Elf turned to Kalianne. "This is place full of drunk Monster Hunters resting from the cold." he told her. "I suggest you be cautious."

• Sip
"You know I would," the bard remarked, a teasing smirk playing upon her lips as she glanced over to her one-eyed elven companion. "Cedric does know how his stuff about Allirian merchant councils, you've got to admit. Wonder if he has anything new about it..." Kali trailed off with a faux philosophical expression, her thumb pressed against her chin as if to cradle some great thought on the concept of human mercantilism. The facade fell away with a small chuckle as they set course for the Gilded Vale.

A wave of pungent odors struck her nose the instant the door opened, a near palpable mixture of various alcohols and spirits that mingled with the biting chill to create a sensation not at all pleasurable. "Didn't need to mention the drunk part," she commented as she stepped inside.

"I've handled my fair share of rowdy taverns and bars before, I've got this." Glancing about the safehouse, she could see the aforementioned Monster Hunters housing drinks and wounds alike around tables and bars, the air alight with the sounds of shared stories and tales from their latest hunt. "So where's this Gea we're looking for? They're a Ravenfolk, right?"

• Popcorn
"Probably the same old tales of how they indulge themselves in coin," Irethril responded entering the rambunctious tavern. "While the people in the Outer City are left to rot and die in the underfunded piss filled streets."

Cedric did some spying for the Fal'Addas over the years, from Alliria to Elbion though it was difficult to get information in Vel Anir due to how protective they are of their secrets. It disgusted Irithiel to see how little the nobility cared for the commonfolk, especially in Alliria where they turned a blind eye to the gangs who reside in the Shallows even encouraged their activities since they often smuggled rare and illegal items that nobles desired. The only time the Merchant Council does something is if the gang's actions affected their pockets. It was little wonder why Kalianna got fed up with her family.

It was a full house inside The Gilded Vale much to Irithiel's surprise, many Monster Hunters singing bawdy songs, drinking Ale, Beer and Vodka. The waitresses had their hands full plates filled with scones, bread and meat slabs delivered to the laughing Monster Hunters. From the corner of Irithiel's eye was a shelf full of books, Monster Hunter guides at first glance. A few inquisitive Monster Hunters were perusing in front of the shelf gleaming the information inside of the books in preparation of a contract. Irithiel could also see a couple of his kin in the far left with trumpets and other instruments playing to a couple of dancing Hunters.

"If I'm to be honest," Irithiel gave a tiny smirk. "I'm more worried about you starting something. I can't recount the amount of times that I had to pull you away because you wanted chop off a man's hand for trying to grope you."

Kalianna was usually the one who would drag Irithiel to inns and taverns in order to get him to loosen up. The One Eyed Elf would always say no but Kalianna insisted. She stopped when one night some Vel Anirian tried to kill Irithiel for having a bounty. He wasn't using his head so Irithiel gladly took it off of him Ironically it was the most enjoyable time he'd went out with Kalianna. An old woman was at the table handing drinks to the weary Monster Hunters. Irithiel sat down and saved a seat for Kalianna as the woman's kind blue eyes lay on the Elf.

"Need to wet your tongue young Elf?" The old woman asked.

"I'm looking for Gea," Irithiel said.

"Gea is out negotiating with the villages," the old woman responded cleaning an empty glass. "He should be back sometime today though so while you wait would you and your lover like to buy something."

"A cup of Vodka," Irithiel sighed shaking his head. "And we're not lovers."

• Popcorn
Kalianna shrugged, a smile playing across her lips as she remembered the last drunkard that thought he could get lucky. Frankly, the audacity and foolishness of trying to grope a dancer in the middle of her performance didn't yield him much sympathy. "What can I say, I play hard to get. I'm sure the last guy recovered well enough—a few less teeth, maybe, but well enough."

The bard slid onto the barstool, her foot instinctively drumming along to the band's playing as she let Irithiel do the talking. There was nothing she loved more than the atmosphere of a bar, the air of relaxation, and catchy music that delighted all. Her gaze gravitated to the band, the brief thought entering her mind of how appreciative they'd be of some bard offering her services.

She glanced back to her trusted companion and the barkeep, tuning back into the conversation at hand. "Yeah, something about 'high standards,'" she jokingly explained to the elderly woman with a faux exasperated scoff, a teasing grin on her features only moments later. "Another vodka for me, too."

Her order now placed and with nothing to do but wait, Kalianna leaned against the bar and stretched. "Well, if this doesn't bring you back. You, me—out on the town as the crime-fighting duo of the ages!" She gestured her hand in the air as if to illuminate a sign. "Of course, our first stop's naturally a bar. One with pretty good music too."

• Thoughtful
"Well the last time we're in a bar together, I've killed a Vel Anirian mercenary who thought he can claim my bounty." Irithiel said observing the old woman heading to the kegs and pouring some Vodka on the two metal cups. "It was the best moment of my life even if it did cause us to get banned. I don't think the Innkeeper's wife would ever forget the mercenary's head landing on her soup."

Something that disturbed Irithiel a bit was Kalianna's eagerness to go on missions with him. They were Elven related affairs part of him wondered if her race would turn on her if the wrong people found out about Irithiel's black operations. Over the centuries he's made enemies, powerful enemies something that the One-Eyed Elf was proud of but it would be matter of time before his enemies turned to the people he's close with namely: Kalianna. It was mostly why he tried to kept his distance from her to make sure that no Vel Anirian would try to torture her the way they did to him.

The smiling barkeep delivered Irithiel and Kalianna drinks and took a look at the door behind them. "Here you are dearies," she said. "Gea should be here any minute now."

Irithiel gave a curt nod taking sip of Vodka. "I'm pretty sure you've made a song about our exploits," he said. "Part of me wonders how you can tolerate me especially how much I drag you into my life."

• Popcorn