Fate - First Reply The House With No Light

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Cleo Lamindile

The Lyrebird of Vel Cirak
Character Biography
Link
There had been murmurs around the city and outlier settlements outside Vel Cirak that a monster had claimed the life of a merchant on the road. Many were quick to blame a werewolf, something capable of ruining the life of a loving family, but Cleo knew there had to be more to it. Yes, the facts made it clear this monster was capable of targeting, with wares stolen from the destroyed wagon and the deceased showing very little wounds that would clue into any mark of a creature or his untimely death.

And when night came, the streets and homes were quieter. Despite the presence of Dreadlords and the Anirian Guard, more than capable of fighting off the creatures that chose to haunt those living this far into the Falwood, it spoke volumes that the residents resorted to their old ways and did not trust their protectors to protect them.

Cleo was one of them.

Growing up in this city, she had seen her fair share of close calls and stories that spread through the bustling streets. Unfortunately for some, she also saw the most monstrous of all creatures that frequented this wooded area: humans.

"There is a bet that no one can unlock the chest they recovered from the accident." She overheard the butcher attempt to whisper to his friend, although after several pints, he no longer had control on the volume of his gruff voice. "It's just sitting in the Captain's office."

"Under lock and key, and with a heavy rotation of guards. I bet that chest is Milton's priceless family heirlooms. Heard him saying he was moving his things to Vel Hetren to be close to his dying brother. Tough luck on the family."

"Aye!" Someone had shouted, and many repeated and saluted their drinks in the air to the fallen neighbour.

Cleo halfheartedly lifted her own ale before leading the rim back to her lips to taste.

"I would pay some fool to go to the trouble of finding out what is in there. Respectfully, of course. It should not be in the hands of the Guards or the Dreadlords, right lads?" More affirmative responses were said to this.

"I will do it!" Said a drunken trader.

"You wouldn't make it past the front door!" The butcher chortled, slapping a hand onto the table and laughing so horrendously, Cleo was unsure if she should laugh at his laugh or be horrified that the sound was equivalent to nails scraping against board.

"The front door is easy, actually. You say you want to make a complaint and they will simply let you in because they love to sit on their arses all day and night." Cleo sighed, standing up from her chair in the corner and approached the barkeep, lightly placing her empty pint down. "Ask Dane, he can happily confirm." At this, Cleo turned around and leaned her frame against the bar and rested her shoulders onto it to steady herself. She grinned at the red headed young man, who only blushed as every eye looked his way.

"The Guard... yes, they are lazy, but they also do so much--" He started, but his mistake was to justify anything to do with the military force in this city.

"Fuck off!" Many waved him off, and Cleo had to purse her lips to keep from laughing too.

"You cook for a bunch of men that do not pick up after themselves. Their mothers would be heartbroken!"

"Like I said, the job is as easy as saying so. Milton was no deadly man, so what would they want with an chest that cannot be unlocked?" Cleo threw out there as the barkeep nudged her shoulder and tapped a new pint down for her. "Unless Milton was doing work for them, and that chest is not his property. Lucily for you all, I am happy to find out with a hefty payout for such a challenge." She grinned, sliding her coins to pay for the new ale. "I just need one volunteer to assist me."

And potentially throw under the fire if things got too hot.

• Sip
Reactions: Vardan
The darkened road was not unpleasant to the well-traveled Dreadlord. This was not the first or last time she had been out on a night such as this. the horse under her shifted and sighed, the steady clop of its hooves on the road hypnotic. She was fast approaching Vel Cirak, and bath and bed was not far from her mind as she scanned the road ahead.

Lights started to flicker into awareness as she neared the city, a peaceful smile resting on her red lips. From Vel Cirak, to home. That was the plan at least. Lights of various establishments spilled onto the path before her, noises and smells of food pervading the air. She found a place with a stable, slipping from the saddle easily as the hand tucked her steed away.

Meredith stretched, rubbing the stiffness from her back. It had been an easy, but long ride. She entered the establishment quietly, finding a corner to tuck herself into for now. She always observed before taking part of any bar, her stomach poisoned by the bad food of various places. She had traveled enough to figure out if the meal was worth it first.

The conversations that surrounded her were drunken, and loud. Her red hair gleamed in the firelight as a ghost of a smile touched her lips. There was mischief to be had, and she hadn't participated in such in a very, very long time. Not since she had tried to hurl herself off the cliffs so long ago.

She raised a finger to the girl that had posted her frame against the bar, her voice clear as bell across the din of the bar. "Out of curiosity, I'd be glad to assist."

Cleo Lamindile

• Love
Reactions: Cleo Lamindile
Interest sparked in her green eyes, sizing up the woman who spoke from the shadowed corners. Cleo had not seen her before, and apparently, neither did anyone else. Someone snoozing at a nearby table jerked away, muttering a fuck me as he gained awareness of himself.

"I think you are perfect for the role. You certainly do not look like you would be familiar to the Guard." Cleo turned and whistled at the barkeep, tapping her pint and indicating she wanted another. When they finally got back to her, the Lyrebird took the new drink over to the fresh face to this little settlement of the Falwood.

"Are you a good liar? Wait, let me rephrase that... are you a great performer? Because I can tell you now, the Guard are quite... suspicious. I also tend to have a forgettable face, so that is a credit to me... you also do not look like you hail from Cirak."

Meredith

• Sip
Reactions: Meredith
As she was sized up, so did Meredith return the gaze pointedly. She was well aware of what she was capable of, what she wanted to know was how capable this girl was. "I shouldn't be familiar to them, no. I'm not worried about getting past them anyhow." She wasn't, even if they raised a ruckus, she was far more formidable than her appearance let on.

Cleo approached her, pint in hand and Meredith could feel her lips part in a mischievous smile. "Even if I wasn't a great liar, or performer, how would you know before it was too late? Does it matter?" She was teasing the girl slightly, for how would she know what a stranger was capable of? "Vel Anir is my home, though I haven't been for a very long time. I doubt even anyone there would recognize me." She raised a mug to her lips, wetting her throat as she brought it down to speak once more. "Put me to the test, those guards don't stand a chance."

Cleo Lamindile

• Love
Cleo gave the other woman a once over, scrutinising the other with a trained eye. "You look as if you can speak circles around the Guards stationed here." She noted approvingly. Cleo kicked out a chair for her to take a seat in, making herself comfortable in order to get to know the volunteer.

"Vel Anir?" Cleo made a face. Personal reasons and all, but none that will matter to anyone else. "I have unfinished business there."

"Then all the more reason for you to get up and leave us, lass!"

"Woah, woah! Then who is going to make sure your stupid arses stay in your seats while I do your dirty work?" The Lyrebird rolled her eyes, smirking at Meredith.

"I'm Cleo Lamindile. If my surname sounds fake, that is because it is. The real one does not suit me, I can tell you that."

Meredith

The face the other girl made at the mention of Vel Anir was not lost on Meredith. Not everyone loved it, Hells even Meredith had a hard time going back. It was necessary though, she needed to. Even if she was stalling by agreeing to help this girl.

"The same goes for me. Unfinished business, threads to clean up. The usual for Vel Anir." She laughed softly as Cleo made herself comfortable. It was fun to witness the girl amongst the men. The adored her, and she them. It was cute. A luxury Meredith could never afford.

"Meredith, pleased to meet your acquaintance, Cleo." She matched the girl's smirk with a knowing smile. This girl, she was already quite the little something. Meredith needed to know more, she was excited to see exactly what Cleo could do, for it was clear to Meredith there was so much more left to be uncovered. Her new little project, her new distraction. Yes, this would work.

"Don't worry, I'm not here to pry about names or the like. I'm here for pure curiosity's sake now, you've gotten me invested."

Cleo Lamindile

• Devil
"In the heist we are to pull off? Trust me, this is a tried and easy feat. Be happy to show you the joke that is the Guard here. Only a few Dreadlords with them, which is just stupid."

"Too many werecreatures out there, pretty lass!"

"What the butcher said." Cleo shrugged. "How else are we to defend this city? The fuckers just keep on coming back and we are tired of it." In addition to that, it gave her great purpose to test the limits of their authority in this city surrounded by the Falwood.

"I was not kidding earlier. It is a simple walk in job, you go first and complain about damage to your property, and I make a sound that will sound the alarms. I slip in after you, talk about how another creature is on the loose, and all but one Guard will leave the building. Quite simple and easy from there. You still in, Meredith?"

Meredith

It was slightly disappointing to hear that the guard, and few deployed Dreadlords were subpar. It wasn't really her problem, but when she was a student, those things wouldn't have been stood for. They were supposed to be militant, efficient. Had things really changed that much, since she had been gone? Her thoughts briefly took her to Sable, and to Henk. She hoped they were okay, she had left them in such a state. Maybe one day they would forgive her.

She couldn't think about that now, no, she had things that needed to be done. Testing this girl was first on the list. There was something about her that Meredith was compelled to participate in this little farce of a mission. "I had no idea werecreatures posed such a threat out here, it seems I've been out of the loop for a while. It's almost a shame you have such lackluster guards to deal with it."

Cleo certainly made it sound simple, but Meredith wasn't stupid either. This could all be a ruse the girl was putting on, to deflect and throw her under the cart per say. "If it's as easy as you say, I'm absolutely in. Just tell me when and where." She grinned as she took another drink, one way or another, there was bound to be some excitement.

Cleo Lamindile

• Devil
"Finish your drink and I can show you just how easy." She grinned.

Cleo had left Meredith at the Guard offices, the building that dealt with people coming off of the street. Werecreatures were certainly a plague, but not often did they venture into this city in the Falwood. Her magical ability to mimic came to her advantage in multiple scenarios, and for this task, she peered around to ensure no actual creature was nearby. She felt her throat move, her lungs adjust, and her mouth morphed in a way that changed her sound.

A shrill cry echoed from the woods, and then silence. A minute later it happened again, and Cleo was able to replicate the sound to appear as if they creature was only getting closer.

Triumph came when the alarms sounded, the call sending many into a panic and hiding within the walls of their homes.

Cleo knew where to go to seamlessly blend back into the crowds of Vel Cirak. This had been her home, a constant map that never changed. As large and confusing the streets were to navigate, she knew each corner, each alley, and rooftop.

From across the street, she could see Meredith inside the Guard Offices through the large windows.

Her feet launched her forward, crossing and weaving between the panic.

"Someone is saying a werebeast is within Ciraki walls. The hysteria those alarms create..." Cleo shook her head, looking back out to the street where many were lost in clear panic and felt trapped within this city. "Old Brute down in the tavern says it's a false alarm."

Meredith

Meredith had followed along with Cleo's plan, the girl leaving her at the guard offices to do her part. She was not surprised that not a soul recognized her, and it was easy for her to affect a whiny tone as she complained to any that would listen. They were getting tired of her though, and despite filling out a report, she still nagged them until they were gritting their teeth.

Soon enough, though, the alarm bells rang out. The sound of a shrill beast that seemed to be headed for the city. Clever girl, this Cleo. the slip of a girl approached the office, letting the guard know what she had heard. Meredith pretended to be wracked with fear, clinging to the guard that had filed her report. "Please you have to save us, we're all going to die." She even let big droplets fall from her eyes, crocodile tears that still proved to be affective.

Needless to say, the others were quick to abandon post and avoid her ruckus, clearing the office easily. The guard she clung to desperately trying to pry her off, with many a curse word at the faking hysterical Dreadlord. It was hard for her not to smile through her act, she found she was actually enjoying herself.

Cleo Lamindile

• Yay
The Dreadlord did not wander far, only looking out to the street before walking into the middle, directing others to remain calm.

Cleo turned her bright eyes to Meredith.

"Would you like to follow me?" She smiled.

Slipping behind a door behind the front room, nestled away from the doorway of anyone being able to see them from the street, Cleo led her new friend to the stairway that lead to the upper floors. There, offices and rooms would be found, and in one of them, the very treasure they had been paid to find. Milton's chest would be sitting there, awaiting for someone with the magic to unlock it. If it was brought here than to the grieving family, then it must hold something valuable.

"So... what brings you to Vel Cirak? Stopping on your way to or from the Falwood?" She asked, taking slow steps but also listening out ahead for movement.

Meredith

Meredith met Cleo's gleaming eyes with her own, it had been a long while since Meredith had had fun. While it was an unusual way to go about getting this particular fix, it was working well for the redhead. Meredith gave the girl a quick nod, falling into step easily behind.

It was quiet, everyone distracted by the clamor that had been raised. It was clever, but it wouldn't last long. They passed offices, storage spaces, and the like. Cleo seemed to know where she was going, so Meredith merely kept an ear out for potential danger.

"I'm merely passing through, I spent some time in Falwood, had some things I needed to do. Now I need to go home to Vel Anir." She paused, brows furrowing as her eyes rested on the back of the girl walking before her. "Your talents seem wasted here, why do you linger?"

Cleo Lamindile

• Bless
"Because of the truth." She said simply. Cleo opened a door that was opened barely, walking in as if there was no real danger here. "I have family in Vel Anir, and if my existence becomes known to them... well, it will not be a happy introduction." Once, she had seen one of them here in Cirak.

"I remain here because... it is the last thing that is my own. I have my own network here, and.... it's all I have ever known." Cleo took a seat behind the desk, pulling it closer as her eyes fell onto the decently sized chest they had been looking for. It didn't take much guess work for her to realise where it would be kept, but now she had to open it, as promised.

"Besides. I know no one in Vel Anir. Would hate to do the wrong thing there with so many Dreadlords and Guards around." She grinned, inviting the red head into the room.

Meredith

Cleo showed a lack of fear at being caught, a dangerous lifestyle. Perhaps it truly was much too lenient here. She's have to talk to someone about bolstering the guard here when she got back. Not that she wanted Cleo to get in trouble, but this was just ridiculous.

"I can understand where you are coming from, but I do truly think you would do better in a more.." She paused, waving her hand in the air aimlessly. "Challenging setting." Meredith stroked the spine of the book strapped to her hip as she entered the room where the little treasure they sought was placed.

"Is this the big mystery?" She gestured at the chest, less than impressed. "What do you think it contains?" Meredith kept her distance, instinct keeping her from handling the object.

Cleo Lamindile

• Smug
Her eyes on the chest, mind working on a way to open it as it did not possess a key.

"I suppose a challenge could be intriguing. but I would need time to build up a network in Vel Anir. It's a larger city, probably filled with many that are already in bed with each other." She flicked her gaze up to watch Meredith, fingers crawling around the chest to find an unlocking mechanism.

"Like I seem to need time figuring how to open this... I suppose I could just take it... but then it would look rather suspicious walking out of her with it..." Cleo grinned at Meredith.

Meredith

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Meredith