Open Chronicles The Growing Scourge

A roleplay open for anyone to join
"No. They can't." Not usually anyway.

Control was difficult even for the strongest, but this one wasn't controlling the ghouls. Not all the time anyway. He was raising an army, but he wasn't doing systematically like he should have been. That was part of the mystery of this, part of the wrongness to it all.

Half these ghouls were running around at random with no rhyme or reason, like they had been set loose for no particular reason other than to cause Chaos.

The Templar's lips thinned, his eyes narrowing on the man.

"Dangerous bit of knowledge." He stated plainly, his insinuation more than clear. "Necromancy."

None of the armored men relaxed.

Azlum stared at the Lord Captain, waiting for his papers to be given back. He figured the Templar didn't believe him, "So I've heard," he looked across at all the other Templar, their tense nature made the air seem charged, "However, I know nothing of necromancy. If you'd like, I can demonstrate the type of magic that I do know."

He expected the Lord Captain to deny his suggestion. If he were him he'd do the same thing just in case it was a trap. Azlum glanced once more at the Siren, he could tell she was obviously curious, unnerved, and unsure of what was going on. He looked back at the Lord Captain, waiting calmly and patiently for his denial. His thoughts were already ahead, coming up with an alternative plan when the Lord Captain said no. It wasn't going to be his ideal plan, but one that would work.

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
"You know magic?" His claim made the siren break her silence, the girl stepping out from behind the knight and making her presence better known. She did not wish to appear as if she was hiding, like a child behind the skirt of it's mother. Her dagger was still held in her hand, a doubtful look on her face sending a grimace through her features.

The female looked him up and down, eyeing him carefully. He does not appear to be intimidating or powerful...but then again, I made it so that I appear the same way. "How would we even know that you're just choosing to not reveal your true potential. The fact that you know any magic at all is quite incriminating." She said in a flat tone, tightening and loosening her grip on her blade. It was the only real indication of her slight discomfort despite her stony facade.

Last edited:
"Not unless you want to die." Saul answered simply.

Generally speaking his own Order of Templar were fine with mages, but at the moment? Well things were a little bit tense to say the least.

There was a necromancer on the loose, and any display of magic was worse than no magic at all. Of course he was beginning to doubt that this man had any connection to the ghouls, if only because it would have been utterly foolish for the person behind all of this to approach a group of Templar like this.

Specifically ones trained in anti-magic.

"Come here." He motioned to the lad. "I have my own methods."

The Broken Sword had long since studied the practice of Anti-magic. A path which, arguably, was in it of itself a form of magical expression. Through it Saul would be able to read the young man, at least tell if there was something...dead within him. Something that would call to the ghouls.

• Yay
Reactions: Azlum Yngrim
He watched as the Siren stepped forward and asked him her question, she eyed him with obvious suspicion. Azlum ignored her as the Lord Captain started to speak, he was more intrigued on whether or not the next possible few days could be spent in chains.

The Lord Captain beckoned Azlum over. Oh, so that's his method. Azlum thought as he walked to the group of Templar, stopping a mere arms length away from the Lord Captain. Most wouldn't notice it, but because he was now so close, the other Templar were as tense as ever. Even the girl was tense, he found it amusing how much distaste she had for him.

Azlum now had his attention on the Lord Captain, he had never had this done to him before so he wasn't sure what to expect. Pain? Discomfort? Nothing at all? Truthfully he was quite curious and excited to find out. "I'm ready for your method." He finally said.

The templar mentioned his own methods of finding out whether or not the man was lying, the female's attention brought back to the leader of the armed men. What sort of method would be able to detect something like that?She wondered to herself, suddenly looking at the knight with new interest. She searched for any outward clues as to what he would do, finding none.

She stepped aside, eyes scanning both men back and forth as she waited to see what would happen, the tension becoming more palpable as time seemed to tick away slowly. The men around them seemed to hold their breaths, waiting in anticipation just as she was to see just what would come about from this confrontation.

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
Saul stepped forward, lowering his sword for a brief moment.

The men around him did not do the same of course, instead they kept themselves ready to jump forward. Half a dozen bows also remained trained on the mage, though Saul briefly thought about how useless that would have been against any mage of true substance.

Without any further hesitation Saul simply reached out and touched the man.

He would feel nothing, save for perhaps a small trail of goosebumps that would suddenly branch out from the Templar's touch. Anti-magic bloomed for just a brief second, thoroughly pulsing through the mage before bouncing back towards Saul's palm. The moment it returned to him Saul unhanded the mage.

"No necromancy." He declared, much to the alleviation of the others.

Azlum watched as the Lord Captain stepped forward and reached his hand out. The anticipation of what it would be like filled Azlum for a moment with a childlike wonder. It was the first time he had felt that way in a long time, yet his outward demeanor never faltered.

Slowly the Lord Captain touched Azlum, soon he would find out what this method would feel like and it felt... like...

Nothing.

Azlum looked down to see if the Lord Captain was actually touching him, and indeed he was. A wave of disappointment and frustration washed over Azlum for a brief moment. He was really looking forward to a new sensation, something that would actually make him feel alive. Alas, he was still composed and looked at the Lord Captain, "I'm slightly disappointed in your method." With that, Azlum turned around and walked away.