A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Nyros

The Exile
Character Biography
Link
Alliria - The Singing Seamstress

Filth.

Utterly. Disgusting. Horrid. Filth.

The people of the overbright reminded him of garbage dumps back outside the Endless City. The sort of places goblins would scurry about and dig through in order to find one thing that might be a little more shiny and to their liking. It was deplorable the way these people lived. Utterly horrid and ill-consuming of the stomach.

Nyros wanted to vomit.

Every time one of them spoke it took all the energy he had not to spit in their face. Not to cut their throats and simply be done.

He couldn't fathom why the Arekthel had lead him here. The wayfinder, as it was known in the common tongue was supposed to bring him to what he needed most. Created to allow his wayward people to find their direction, it was a common tool among his people, or at least it had been at one point. So Nyros had learned in his studies.

Yet here he sat, in a filthy disgusting tavern. Wondering why the thread of his people had brought him to this place.

Perhaps it was to kill everyone here? Maybe that would give him the piece of knowledge he needed. The way for him to unlock the Leth within his chest and finally return home. Maybe it's worth a try.

He thought to himself bitterly.

Last edited:
  • Sip
Reactions: KamiTaladren
The Singing Seamstress was not the best bar in Alliria but neither was it the worst. It was one of those taverns that the normal people went to. The citizens who were neither the upper echelon of Alliria or the lowest dregs of society. It was the perfect place to just go have a drink with friends. Simple, clean, and safe.

Kameron was supposed to meet Johanna here this evening but she was late. No surprises there. That woman did not know how to be on time even if her life depended on it. It was frustrating but Kami would go ahead and get a drink while she waited.

She took one of the stools at the bar and ordered a drink. This was not new to her. She always had at least two drinks by herself first. Always.

Eyes flickered over the room.

A pulse thrummed through his veins. A familiar feeling. A thread that he had followed before, and ended in a blade across the throat. Lips thinned for a brief moment, and slowly he turned his head. Eyes flickering through the room.

Maybe I've been doing it wrong. Nyros thought as he searched, the words echoing in his native tongue.

So far he had killed those the heart had lead him to. He had slaughtered them and assumed it was what Leth desired...and yet now...now it did not seem right. He could not tell what tugged him to that thought. Perhaps frustration, annoyance.

Lips thinned. A different approach this time...

He thought, his eyes falling upon Kami.

• Sip
Kami finished the first drink. No Johanna.

She ordered the second. If Johanna had not shown up by the time she finished this one, she would head out. She was at a two drink limit when drinking alone. There was a point where people stopped believing my friend is on her way and just started to feel bad.

The elf did not speak to anyone as she nursed her second drink. She was trying to draw out the time it took to finish it. She hated to think that Johanna had stood her up.

After one of her sips, she noticed a pair of white eyes resting on her in her periphery. She set the glass down and turned slowly to make sure she had not imagined the creepy eyes. Nope...they were real.

A flicker of movement.

A shadowed step.

That was all it was. Nyros seemed to move through the room as a blur. One moment he was sitting in the booth, and the next he stood besides Kami, his face that odd tortured mask of a skull. White eyes peering down at the girl. "Do excuse me for staring."

His voice was hoarse, rasped, as though his vocal cords had been scorched.

"I've not yet had the opportunity to meet one of my cousins from the overbright." The lie slipped from his tongue as easily as could be.

Nyros had encountered half a dozen of his light-skinned kinfolk on the surface. All of them had met the same end. Dead, buried, forgotten somewhere in the reaches of his mind. "I did not mean to startle."

• Nervous
Kami startled at the presence at the man that had been staring. He was not there a second ago and now he was. She looked down at her drink for a moment and reminded herself that this was only number two. She was not drunk enough to miss a person moving across the bar.

Her voice was the complete opposite of his. Soft and sweet, as though she could easily soothe someone to sleep by just speaking.

She studied the Drow - his race was clear now that he was up close - and listened to his words.

"It is fine, I just did not see you approach," Kami smiled at her uninvited guest. She was not one to be impolite even to this creepy Drow that made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

"I am surprised you have not met any of your cousins because we are plentiful but I am pleased that I could be your welcome party," she took a drink and looked towards the door. No Johanna.

"What brings you to Alliria?" Kami was trying very hard not to stare at his very unique face.

"Not common enough it seems." He remarked, though he had not ventured into what they called the Falwood.

His exit from the underrealm had been swift, and closer to the ever present steppe than it had been the home of his distant cousins. The Hearth had then plucked his string in this direction, offering him whatever supplicants were to be found here.

The Drow mused for a moment on his answer. "Curiosity."

He remarked.

"The Overbright is such an...interesting place." Nyros mused. "Are you from here? This city?"

There was a tinge to the word city though just what it meant was hard to say.

• Nervous
Curiosity was a reason that many people used when coming to Alliria. It was an unique experience to be sure especially for those who had never been to a big city before. Kami had thought Elbion was big and then she visited Alliria for the first time and her mind had been blown.

"I have never been to Underrealm but I am sure interesting is the same word I would use,"
she smiled at him.

She had heard the story of the drow and Underrealm. The nightmarish stories. She had no idea what was truth and what was fiction so interesting seemed like a good word.

"Oh no, I come in for business. I was supposed to meet my friend tonight before I head back to Elbion but, as you can see, I was stood up." She took a sip of her drink and then set the glass down.

"Do you have any plans while you are in the area?"

• Popcorn
Reactions: Nyros
Most would describe the underrealm as anything but interesting. Perhaps frightful, evil, tainted. Another mixture of a half dozen words which could corner the evil of that place. Nyros did not blame them.

Most were too weak to survive in his home. ”Business, what sort?”

Such a concept, he had learned, was mostly from the overbright. Corporations, mercantilism didn’t really exist where he had been born. There the Priesthood and nobility ruled over everything, and freedom was often lax.

There was little choice in what anyone did or could do.

”Me?” He mused, his white eyes flickering with a smile. ”I have a plan or two.”

• Nervous
The hairs on the back of Kami's next pricked again. Were his questions simple curiosity or were they something more. She was asking him questions back so it was a two way street.

There was just something about him that creeped her out and it was not just his eyes.

"I am a mage," she said simply. There was no need to get into specifics with him.

Kami was a mage for hire. If the price was right and she did not have to kill anyone, she would do the job. She had worked for most of the criminal organizations in Alliria at least once. Her loyalty was to money and they all knew that.

"A plan or two? Very mysterious," her voice held a hint of humor in it.

"Would you like a drink?" She asked the stranger as she finished her second one.

• Smug
"How delightful." Nyros said with a wicked sort of smile.

Was that what the Heart had been trying to tell him?

The Drow could practically see touches of magic floating around the girl, small sparks and impressions within the air. He had seen the same things in those he had slaughtered, and then he had thought their purpose different.

Now? Now he knew better. "My people very much enjoy their riddles."

Nyros mused.

"Just a little bit of fun." He said with a smile. "A game we like to play, of hidden desires."

There was something charming, despite the odd mask he wore, as he smiled at her. "It's because we want people to ask for more."

That was not, of course, true at all, but the lie slipped from his tongue as easily as the truth.

"I would love a drink." He told her with a simple smile.

Kami did not ask what he wanted. He seemed like the type to enjoy something on the stronger side so she ordered two of the same drink...the drink she was now on number three of. The glasses were delivered and the dark liquid sat there begging to be drank. It was not one that you drank quickly and she was not one to order a shitty whiskey. Quality was key for her.

She had not addressed his words about the game yet so she did so now. If he wanted her to ask more then she had to, right?

"Okay, then, let's play?" It was a question because she was not entirely sure what type of game this was or if it was one that could be played at a tavern.

Before he could respond, she followed up realizing that they had not introduced themselves.

"Sorry, my name is Kami," she said with a smile.

• Popcorn
For a brief moment something bitter flitered across his tongue.

It was the taste of conversation. He was so unused to it. The overbright, the people here were so utterly fond of small-talk that it made him want to puke sometime. His home was not known for such things, and it had taken him weeks to get used to it.

"Nyros." He said, the smile breaking his lips to reveal the barest hint of curved teeth.

Filed down when he had become a Reaver. "A riddle then?"

He preferred.

"What is it a mage cannot have, but desires above all. A witch has, but does not desire?" The Drow asked, glancing down briefly at the ordered drink. Hiding the disgust that roiled through him.

Kami could not help the chin that ran down her spine at his smile. It was creepy and she suddenly wanted to get the fuck out of here. Maybe it was his face more than the smile but she was not sure. She took a drink from her glass and set it back down again as he relayed his riddle to her.

"What is it a mage cannot have, but desires above all. A witch has, but does not desire?"

Kami hated to admit that she was terrible at riddles so she took her time trying to figure it out.

The silence between them was deafening for quite sometime before she shrugged her shoulders with a frown.

"I have no idea. Apparently I am no good at riddles," Kami chuckled and took another drink.

• Popcorn
"Ah such a shame." Nyros mused, giving no indication that he might offer her any sort of answer.

A part of him wondered if the drollness of this upper-world had made people complacent. Such a riddle would not go unanswered back home, even if the answer was wrong. Of course back home one wouldn't have a conversation like this.

Mostly because Kami would have been whipped for even talking to him. "Perhaps I'll tell you."

He mused.

"After you show me something interesting." Nyros said, casting the net.

Any other time she would have told him that she really did not give a fuck what the answer was but she was trying to be nice to the visitor. She was not one for small talk with strangers and that was why she had a two drink wait limit. She could leave before this happened. Someone wanting to talk to her.

She wondered how long she had to wait before she excuse herself without being seen as rude to Nyros.

"Oh? What would you like to see?" Kami asked as she took another sip from her glass.

She wanted to leave. Maybe one more drink after this one and she would be able to.

• Thoughtful
Nyros scoffed. "Do you always wait for someone else to give you all the answers?"

The Drow prodded.

"What fun is a game if there is one player." He mused out loud. "But then, perhaps I have chosen the wrong person to play with."

Nyros mused. "I must apologize."

His tongue clicked.

Perhaps this one would simply have to be wrapped in a net like all the others. Though he had hoped it would be at least a little bit more fun this time. It seemed the overworld would continue to disappoint him. "Enjoy your evening, Kami the Mage."

The change in conversation happened to abruptly that she may have gotten some whiplash. She did not mind though. She wanted to go home so his scoff and obvious disappointment with her lack of wanting to indulge him pleased her slightly.

"You too, Nyros," Kami said simply and finished her glass.

It was probably another ten minutes or so before she paid her tab (and his) and then she stood from her stool. She was not a lightweight but she had been sitting too long so her head spun slightly.

She was still irritated that she had been stood up as she headed out of the tavern and started her walk back to her inn. She felt perfectly safe alone since this part of town was pretty decent. She was not high maintenance but she did like to feel safe.

• Popcorn
Nyros had always belonged to the shadows.

There had never been a doubt in his skill. Even from an early age it had been clear his talent stood above many others. What had always been the problem was his disobedience. The fact that he would not listen to anyone but himself.

In later years they had thought him broken. His mind tattered and his will rent within the great Prison of his people. They had been wrong of course, so very wrong. Much to the curse of the Priests, but to the hopelessness of his parents. Much to the dismay of those who might have prayed for a better end.

He had set himself upon his own path.

One that set him in the shadows here, instead of as a Reaver within the dark of the underrealm.

White eyes peered down into the streets as he watched the girl. The mage. Was that why the heart wanted her? Was that why it called to her within his mind? It must have been. She had something. A sliver within her soul, a mark of knowledge in her head. Something that would help him take the next step.

As she continued down the street, Nyros followed within the shadows.

He would take her when she was alone.

• Stressed
It was not a long walk to her inn, The Allirian Rose, and she quickly ducked inside. She nodded at the owner before heading upstairs to her room.

Kami's room was simple. A plain bed with clean linens, a small round table with two chairs, a wardrobe, and an attached washroom. She was not high class but she did like some amenities.

She locked the door behind her before heading to one of the chairs to start taking off her boots.

• Popcorn
Was there any bottom to the pit of the depravity that could be found in this place? He had thought it's tavern's dirty, but the Inns? The Inns reminded him of the Pit, the place that he had spent nearly a century wallowing away.

It was all so...awful.

Not in the sense that anyone would languish inside, but in the fact of its...commonality. Even from the shadows Nyros felt the disgust stir within his chest, lips thinning as he watched the girl from the darkness itself.

Her boots were tossed to the floor.

Sat easily within one of the chairs.

There was a flicker. A shifting of the shadow as it moved behind her. The flame upon the candle moving as it should not have, stirring ever so slightly as the once Reaver stepped within the darkness. His arm extending from the shadow.

Kami was about to stand up from the chair and start undressing for a bath when she saw the candle flicker in an odd way. It would have made sense if she had a window open but she had not opened one yet so there was nothing but stagnant air in the room currently.

She stilled from her intended movement and turned her hands over in her lap. Her palms facing up as she called for her magic at the same time she stood up and spun towards the corner where the candle was.

Kami hesitated when she saw the arm extending out of the shadow. Light had formed in her palms but she had not thrown it at the intruder. She just stood frozen.

• Popcorn
"Ahhh." Nyros' voiced echoed from the abyss.

That had always been his problem. Too much showmanship, too much play. There was something to be said about dramatics, even among his people. He had a flare for it, and yet more than once he'd found it biting him back.

A shame really. "Too slow."

The would-be Reaver said as he stepped fully from the shadows.

Even as he moved into the light something of the dark seemed to cling to him. It was as though the glimmer of the candle did not reach him, as though the shine could not touch his skin. The white of his eyes flickered towards Kami.

"Hello again, Kami the mage." Nyros said as he took a step forward.

Shame. He thought she might have put up a fight. He thought that she might at least offer a little bit more of a challenge.

Was this what the heart was after?

Scared little girls that would run away at the drop of a hat? Those who could hardly live in the world without a rupture of terror in their chest? It was almost disappointing, sad in a way. The Drow rolled the white of his eyes, and then flickered forward.

A shadow preceded him.

Darted forward.

As he hand touched the handle of the door she would find a length of steel cutting through the wood. Pressing the lock into place and sealing it their. A hand wrapped around her throat, another clasping over her mouth. "Shhh."

He begged.

"Quiet now." Nyros said. "No scream can help you here."