Fable - Ask The Cheddar Conundrum

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Shiv

Character Biography
Link
"You there, mercenary, step forward-no no, that is close enough. I cannot have you accidentally ruining my clothes. They're made from the finest silks that the east has to offer, you see. Why am I bothering explaining this? Anyways, let us speak of business. My latest consignment was absconded not two days ago on its way to my warehouse. The perpetrator is none other than that bastard Volfred, a boorish man even in the best of times. He is keeping my goods not far from here. Unfortunately Volfred has hired some of your ilk to see that it is not returned to its rightful owner. I would see this cursed situation rectified with all haste. Now leave, your presence spoils the very air that I breathe. My attendant shall provide you with any further details you require."
-Carvo 'The Cheese Baron' Brie

Shiv shifted slightly as he attempted to stretch his increasingly stiff limbs. He was beginning to doubt whether his employer would pull through with their side of the job. The warehouse was still teeming with mercenaries, far more than Shiv and his companion could handle. Even if the Baron had been willing to shell out more coin for more swords, it was unlikely he wanted all the blood of a small war and the attention it brought. Thus the corpulent merchant promised to draw a majority of his rival's hired help away so there would be minimal security on the warehouse. Admittedly, Cato had not made a point of finding out any further details. The mercenary could only stomach being looked down upon for so long.

The contract was relatively simple, secure the consignment and send word to the Baron's men to retrieve it. It was so straightforward that it had the mercenary feeling nervous. He had seen many men like Carvo before and they were greedier than a virgin in a whorehouse. Such men oft paid little and expected the world in return. Cato had taken many of those contracts in his early years, desperate to achieve some sort of recognition. Also, not starve to death. The Baron was paying top rate which once again, had the half-elf rather worried.

There was no further time to deliberate as he heard the sounds of a rider approaching. Cato watched from cover as a man dismounted and presumably began to shout orders. The mercenary watched with relief as the guards began to scurry about, gathering what was needed before they set off. Cato did not have to wait long until most of the guards had set off. The problem, however, was more than he had expected still remained.

"Well, at least we're not completely fucked?" he offered in consolation to his companion. "'Can't say I like our odds, but I don't hate em either," added the mercenary with dangerous glint in his eye. "So, we takin the gamble or not?"

Raigryn Vayd